PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Get Music From my iPod onto an Empty iTunes Library?

mherb88
Jan 4, 2008, 04:15 PM
I need to get music from iTunes onto an iMovie project. But I'm using a different computer than the one with my iTunes library on it. How do I get music from my iPod onto iTunes in that computer? If anyone knows how to do this, your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Eidorian
Jan 4, 2008, 04:17 PM
http://www.fadingred.org/senuti/

Canerican
Jan 4, 2008, 04:57 PM
Failing that you can put it on the HDD of your iPod, burn it to a CD, use some other external storage, email the track, use wireless file sharing between Macbooks... the possibilities are endless :D

sandman42
Jan 4, 2008, 06:32 PM
You may know this already, but in case you don't: the iPod and iTunes system was specifically set up to go one way only, from iTunes to iPod, and not the other way around. This was an anti-piracy concession on Apple's part to prevent everybody from spreading their music around to other people's computers.

As the previous replies indicate though, there is third party software that allows you to do it. Just don't look for a way to do it within iTunes, because there isn't one.

Also, if you succeed in getting the music off the iPod, if the music files were purchased from the iTunes Music Store and are 'protected AAC', they won't play on the second computer unless you authorize the computer in your iTunes account to play the files. I believe you can authorize up to 5 computers to play your files. Not sure if you can import protected files into iMovie.

balamw
Jan 4, 2008, 06:50 PM
Just don't look for a way to do it within iTunes, because there isn't one.
Unless.... it's music purchased from the iTunes Store, and the machine you want to import to is authorized to the same iTunes account.

In which case, it's File -> Transfer Purchases from iPod.

:p

B

hdayala
Jan 4, 2008, 08:11 PM
Whey can't you just burn a CD with the music you want from your own iTunes music, and simply immport those tunes to the second computer for your iMovie????