PDA

View Full Version : Best FM transmitter or Modulator?

JesterJJZ
Jan 4, 2008, 07:06 PM
Looking for the best way to hook up an iPod to my girlfriend's 99 Mazda Protege. FM modulator would be better than a transmitter. I see transmitters all over and most of the reviews say they are horrible as I would imagine myself. Anyone have a good lead on a good modulator? I saw Dension had a nice one called Ice-Link:One but I can't find any place that sells them.

Thanks!

JesterJJZ
Jan 6, 2008, 09:27 AM
Anyone? Going once...going twice...:(

Mindflux
Jan 6, 2008, 10:54 AM
Anyone? Going once...going twice...:(

I just put the Belkin TuneBase w/ Clearscan into my GF's 03 Protoge 5. It kicks ASS compared to the Griffin counterpart we tried first. So much more clear and good quality too!

cblackburn
Jan 6, 2008, 01:22 PM
I don't understand the question. A modulator is a key component of an FM transceiver. You modulate the base-band audio with a carrier component to produce the final FM signal that you transmit. You asked the equivalent of "What's better, using a screen to view my photos or a bunch of pixels?".

Are you asking which would be better an FM Transmitter or directly wiring the iPod into the Head unit?

Chris

tech.challenged
Jan 6, 2008, 03:12 PM
since all of you sound like you know a thing or two about connecting ipods to stereos, here goes: i have a stereo that i installed into my 01 chevy s10 and it came with a USB adapter for ipods. i just got an ipod nano and i can hook it up to my computer ok, but my stereo doesnt read it. "no support" flashes on the screen and i have no idea why. i tried another ipod nano and that one worked just fine. any ideas?

cblackburn
Jan 6, 2008, 05:27 PM
i tried another ipod nano and that one worked just fine. any ideas?

The USB interface works by connecting to the iPod and using it as a big flash disk and then reading the mp3 files off it and decoding them in the head unit. This requires the iPod to have disk mode enabled and quite possible to be formatted to work on a windows system.

If these are enabled on your iPod and it is still not working we can troubleshoot further.

Chris

tech.challenged
Jan 8, 2008, 06:15 PM
The USB interface works by connecting to the iPod and using it as a big flash disk and then reading the mp3 files off it and decoding them in the head unit. This requires the iPod to have disk mode enabled and quite possible to be formatted to work on a windows system.

If these are enabled on your iPod and it is still not working we can troubleshoot further.

Chris

i cant seem to figure out how to get my ipod into disk mode. any help?

tech.challenged

JesterJJZ
Jan 18, 2008, 05:26 AM
I don't understand the question. A modulator is a key component of an FM transceiver. You modulate the base-band audio with a carrier component to produce the final FM signal that you transmit. You asked the equivalent of "What's better, using a screen to view my photos or a bunch of pixels?".

Are you asking which would be better an FM Transmitter or directly wiring the iPod into the Head unit?

Chris

The type of FM modulator that adds an aux input buy plugging into where the antenna goes on the back of your head unit. Then the antenna plugs into that. It's like a hardwired FM transmitter, way better quality. Icelink had one but I can't find it anywhere. I'd prefer something wired.

whyrichard
Jan 20, 2008, 02:45 AM
very interesting... it would be perfect for me too.... old car head unit..

r

skybolt2000
Mar 22, 2008, 10:17 AM
I don't understand the question. A modulator is a key component of an FM transceiver.

Chris

In the world of car audio, "FM transmitter" means an actual FM transmitter, while "FM Modulation" means a hardwire into the car antenna, which then increases the sound and signal quality dramatically (although the use is the same, you still tune to a station"

I used FM modulation on an in-dash Sony CD player in my old Civic - worked very, very well. You'd never even know it was FM if you didn't have to use a station.