Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zerominuszero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, Idaho
Im running a G4, final cut system with a "Radeon9800" grafix card. I currently have 2 montiors set-up for editing. I would like to set-up a television to preview quality control of the actual "to-air" program.

The card has your standard outs and an S-Video out. When connecting the S-Video out to a set, nothing appears.

Is there a configure setting within FCP to talk to the TV?

Any advice on set-up / tech. talk is appreciated.

-Tony Allen
Boise, Idaho

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
What video formats will you be working with ... it makes a huge difference in how you connect an external TV monitor.

For example, is you're working with and of the DV25 formats (DV, DVCam, DVCPro), you connect a qualified DV device (camcorder, VTR or converter) to your Mac via Firewire. Then connect the DV device's analog outputs to the TV monitor.

Other formats will involve the need for a specialize capture card such as those offered by AJA, Decklink and Matrox.

-DH

dave@toastmedia

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
If your video card is AGP which I think it is with that mac then you could deploy the cinema desktop preview until you get the hardware you need to export it.

There is one golden rule however with this feature, it must be an AGP card.

"The Digital Cinema Desktop Preview feature allows you to preview your video using
any available computer display connected to an AGP graphics card. (Displays
connected to a PCI graphics card cannot be used by Digital Cinema Desktop.) If you
have two computer displays, one can be used to view the Final Cut Pro interface and
the Finder while the other can be used as a dedicated video monitor. For Final Cut Pro
PowerBook systems and other single display systems, you can switch between the user
interface and the Digital Cinema Desktop Preview display."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.