PDA

View Full Version : New 15" powerbook defects

mashinhead
Oct 8, 2003, 08:27 AM
I was considering purchaseing a new 15" PB. But i have read around reviews and macforums and i've heard horror stories about it, like:

• latches that may or may not close.
•Gaps between the screen and keyboard. short battery life.
•Dead pixels and white spots on the screen.

Just how common are these problems!!! How many people have defective ones and how many have PERFECT ones? Also i was going to get one BTO, whats apples return policy on BTO Machines?

vin
Oct 8, 2003, 09:11 AM
I think you shouldn't worry too much about the stuff you've been reading. I read most of it too, but don't want to take it all too seriously.

I've ordered a new 15" 1.25 last week, BTO. Didn't want to wait for panther. I think most machines will be more than fine, the people receiving the good ones you won't hear. The stories about the PB's with defects end up in forums like these, which makes it look like all of the new PB's have a problem.

In other words; there's only one way of finding out for yourself; order one!

Cheers!

KBFinFan
Oct 8, 2003, 09:14 AM
First of all, as with any first revision product, you really do take a risk (especially with Apple as their products are always on the cutting edge of technology IMO).

As far as a gap when the lid closes, I think this is omnipresent in the 15" line at least. I personally, don't see a huge issue here.

Yes, latches can be a problem. However, if you order a stock configuration you may be able to return it to an Apple retail store with the right negotiating.

LCD displays, well, they always have a tendency for dead pixels. So getting a laptop is always risky there.

Personally, I think my 15" is perfect. The lid closes each and every time (knock on wood), I have no dead pixels that I can see, and I don't see too much wiggle when my lid is closed.

You really have to weigh the pros/cons and then see if you are ready to take "the risk". If you are easy going and go with the flow go for it, if you are a true perfectionist then I would say wait..

Just my 2 cents..

hacurio1
Oct 8, 2003, 09:18 AM
I got a perfect one. There were some problems with early production models but mine has 0 defects. Upgrading to 10.2.8 before calibrating my battery is giving me 3.5+ hours of battery (not only indicated but real life, with airport on and screen half brightness and set to longest battery life). Also, make sure you read the manual before you calibate the battery, it's in page 20. First you charge all the way, and then you drain all the way till it goes to sleep. Good luck. If you have more questions, just ask. Ill answer as many as i can.

Mlobo01
Oct 8, 2003, 09:20 AM
I have followed up on some stories and they are all normal technical maladies either due to shipping discrepencies or just factory oversight, When ever you purchase a Mac you have one year guarantee and the folks at the Apple stores are more happy to take the machines back if you feel you have a less than optimized unit, for that reason its always better to shop at the Apple stores, if there is no one close to you it is recommendable for you to express your dilemma to the salesperson or to the store manager and to really clarify what is the extent of their policy regarding these very few glitches, you may even print some of the complaints and take the pages to them. Im considering buying an 15' Powerbook and I would not be able to deal with some of the complaints such as the white spots or latch issues I would immediately take it back (not in anger but in a need to resolve, so please keep tempers in check) I can deal with the battery issue which some have already seen fixes and with the advent of Panther with its superior power management protocol, the battery issue will be easy to configure, but it is recommendable that you learn as much about battery issues as you can, since I have noticed battery issues resulting in old and well-used units and the fix-up has been a simple PRAM zap. So dont regard it as a bad experience but an opportunity to be a keen shopper and to really communicate with the salesperson or manager of the store, I will wait until Panther ships with the PB, and keep on educating myself about the powerbooks and not only about the bad experiences but the positive ones aswell, you will see that they will motivate you to make a sharp purchase. remember this is a high priced item and the level of communication that you need may need to be very precise.

mrnoone
Oct 8, 2003, 10:41 AM
My powerbook seems to be perfect except that the UP arrow key seems weird... like, one side sits higher then the other side. I didnt even notice it for a few days, but it kinda bothers me.

jadolley
Oct 8, 2003, 11:09 AM
I have had all the reported problems with my new powerbook, and have fixed or resolved most of them. The latch I fixed with some bending, the lid gap I have ignored, the battery life is better with lastest update, and the dead pixel I have is in the upper part of the screen and is almost invisable under normal usage. The last problem I have remaining is the DVD drive. While resting my palms on the powerbook, the drive makes a metal twang noise. If I lift my palms off the "rests" the drive makes a metal twanging noise, it quite irritating. Any suggestions? I have checked out a couple of powerbooks at the Apple store, they don't seem to have this problem.

Powerbook G5
Oct 8, 2003, 11:19 AM
I don't have any of those problems and my battery lasts nearly as long as Apple claims on their spec page. The only thing it does "have" is that small 1/10" gap with the lid closed, which seems to be intentional anyway.

stoid
Oct 8, 2003, 11:27 AM
Got mine just over a week ago.

Love it.

It's perfect.

notjustjay
Oct 8, 2003, 12:18 PM
Love the pic, Stoid! Homestar rules! (well, Strong Bad is better.. :) )

I don't think dead pixels are nearly as much of a concern these days as they were. I've never bought a laptop with any dead pixels. That includes a Dell Latitude D800 with a 15.4" WUXGA screen with a resolution of 1920x1200 pixels. Not a single one of those 2,304,000 pixels was defective... so the odds are in your favour.

davida
Oct 8, 2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by mrnoone
My powerbook seems to be perfect except that the UP arrow key seems weird... like, one side sits higher then the other side. I didnt even notice it for a few days, but it kinda bothers me.

Try to gently push down on the key.....it should click into place.

The genius on the apple store simply pulled off one of my keys off the KB when I brought in my 15 Al for a not functioning backlight. The keys simply pop off and click into place and the key he clicked back into place did not sit even the first time. When I showed him that he just pressed on it a little firmer and it clicked in to line up with the others.

davida

mrnoone
Oct 8, 2003, 02:20 PM
Davida,

I did as you said it corrected the problem. I has thought about popping off the key before but I wasnt sure if they were structured like a regular laptop because of the backlit keys......

but I just popped it off and then back on and now it looks perfect. Thanks for the tip.

Now my powerbook can be considered perfect... no kbd problems, no display or warping issues, and no latch issues.

davida
Oct 8, 2003, 02:55 PM
You are welcome. I am glad I could help.

davida

Ikash
Oct 19, 2003, 04:43 PM
my screen has white spots on it so i had to send it back to apple but there really good on returns like my firends pb he messed up his cd drive and he sent it on tuesday and got it back on thrusday so thats great timing everything wiht apples overnight cuz they value you as a customer. im not a apple rep just saying what i know

i love my 15" pb missing it already

Fall
Oct 19, 2003, 07:17 PM
I have 2 dead pixels, not enough for them to do anything.

I have a broken latch, which I went and complained about, and there's a notice to replace all displays where the latches don't work, so they're ordering a new one.

TWO BIRDS WITH ONE STONE!

ahtu
Oct 19, 2003, 07:47 PM
I recently upgraded to a new G4 15" 1.25 Ghz PowerBook and have encountered the following battery problem that I'm seeking a solution to (no, I've not yet had a chance to contact Apple directly).
1) I first read the manual prior to interacting with the machine (though restraint was trying) and discovered on page 20 that you are to first calibrate the battery. I did so following the instructions (AC to 100%, drain until machine goes to sleep, AC back to 100%). This appeared to work at first, as the machine properly indicated a full 100% charge upon reconnecting to AC and letting it charge to full capacity. I then upgraded to 10.2.8 after reading Apple's information about battery issues.
2) However, approximately 2 to 2.5 days later, while the machine was on continuous AC, always shutting down after usage, the battery charge indicator indicated a loss of percentage of 1 to 2 percent. I have been loosing roughly one percent of battery capacity every 2 days.
3) I discovered a command-line tool on the web that allowed me to gain a more accurate profile of the battery (http://www.mitt-eget.com/) that has yielded the following information (my own personal log):

Last login: Thu Oct 16 09:59:08 on console

Battery 1
Battery: battery installed, above warning level
Charger: charger connected, not charging
UPS: UPS not installed
Voltage: 12.316V
Current: 1.200A (approx 3:09)
Capacity: 3.788Ah of 3.944Ah (96.0%)

Last login: Sat Oct 18 10:19:19 on console

Battery 1
Voltage: 12.276V
Current: 1.200A (approx 3:07)
Capacity: 3.756Ah of 3.944Ah (95.2%)

Last login: Sun Oct 19 07:48:36 on console

Battery 1
Voltage: 12.264V
Capacity: 3.748Ah of 3.944Ah (95.0%)

Last login: Sun Oct 19 16:30:19 on console

Battery 1
Voltage: 12.259V
Capacity: 3.744Ah of 3.944Ah (94.9%)

You will notice that the battery continues to drain, even though on AC (machine has not been off AC expect when moved back and forth to work and home).
There has been some suggestions on various web pages that calibration of the battery may need to be done more than once, this I've not tried yet, but may consider it soon (perhaps after speaking with Apple).

Any further insight is appreciated.

Powerbook G5
Oct 19, 2003, 08:48 PM
After upgrading to 10.2.8, I've noticed that in Energy Saver, it always says the battery is at 97% when it is at full charge. Not sure if that's just Energy Saver being inaccurate, but it doesn't seem like the battery is losing its life since it has the same basic battery times whenever I use it on battery.

timubik
Oct 20, 2003, 01:16 AM
Recent Apple portables won't charge the battery until the level falls below 95%. Check out Apple KBase article # 88344 "PowerBook G4, iBook: Battery Does Not Show Full Charge in Mac OS X." Apparently this helps prolong battery life by avoiding short charge cycles.

Losing 1% of charge every couple days doesn't sound very alarming. One longshot possibility that could be causing the battery to be used while plugged in is if you happen to be using an older power adapter. The old 45 Watt adapters (silver tip) may not provide enough power for computers that shipped with 65 Watt adapters (white tip). Anyway, I still think that it's not unusual for the battery to lose a little charge from day to day without any use or recharging.

Hope that helps.

Jutty
Oct 28, 2003, 08:48 AM
I definately dont think the gap in the screen is anything to be concerned about. It is true of ALL new Al books. My guess is that they solved the problem old Ti books had with grease from the keyboard (our fingers) getting on the screen and causing little square lines on the screen. I know that was a problem on the old models.

Spock
Oct 28, 2003, 02:35 PM
If You are concerned about defects You will always have 90 days to return it

Graham
Oct 28, 2003, 02:45 PM
Just taken delivery of a 15" AlBook. So far it looks like a terrific machine. But, one little problem. Small rectangular areas of the screen are sometimes tinged with yellow colour. This is often induced by moving or resizing a window. Sometimes, there's nothing there, other times a number of residual fragments of these yellow tinted areas. Anyone seen anything similar?

filmmaker2002
Oct 28, 2003, 04:31 PM
Here are pics of my FOURTH Powerbook.

Yay for F&$%ed up displays (http://homepage.mac.com/filmmaker2002/PhotoAlbum16.html)

Powerbook G5
Oct 28, 2003, 04:39 PM
I'm sorry to hear about all the problems people are having with the new PowerBooks. I'm personally lucky to have gotten a good one from the start I guess. Good luck getting it taken cared off.

aethier
Oct 28, 2003, 04:54 PM
The only problem i have with mine, is that the "D" key often pops out, and when i first received it, i had to bring it to the Apple shop to have surgery (yes it was a BTO) the screen needed to be replaced, not for dead pixels, but because in shaded areas there was a lot of red hue. My new display, along with its deceased brother, does not have a single dead pixel :)

aethier

weev
Oct 29, 2003, 06:35 AM
some interesting reading

http://www.macworld.com/2003/12/reviews/15inchpowerbookg4s/

nesbitt_a
Nov 1, 2003, 01:57 PM
I purchased a 15" Albook on sept 18th 03.

Delivery time of two weeks, and laptop recieved. When I opened the lid for the first time, the first thing I noticed was a huge 2cm white spot slap-bang in the centre of the screen. I decided to play with the machine a while to see if it had any other defects.

When I first closed the lid -- it actually sprung back open again, not good. Also, on closer inspection of the casing, i noticed that it was coming away just above the superdrive slot-load.

I contacted apple and because of a mess-up in delivery and their 10-day replacement warrenty, I was only entitled to having my machine repaired (which I think is an absolute joke!).

Since then, the laptop has been in and out of the shop twice, the first time being returned with a new screen, but a dented casing (thanks to the repair guy), and now, the logiboard has gone faulty too. They are apparently now gonna replace my laptop because its obviously a dud. I just hope the next isn't.

A. Nesbitt

Ordered sept 18th, so far I've had my laptop for 6 days - bloody joke.

nesbitt_a
Nov 1, 2003, 02:08 PM
Just looked -- 3 week build time for a replacement!

GRR @ Apple UK

ebuc
Nov 1, 2003, 02:47 PM
My D-key is a dud too, it stays down half the time after I've been using it for a while, and half the time when I'm just typing it doesn't register my press of it and I have to press down extra hard. I also have white spots (though not as noticable as some), so I'm sending mine back on Monday to get fixed. Out of three powerbooks at my school I know of (the 15" ones), two (including mine) have white spots. The other powerbook has spots and LINES of white which are even worse. Apple should really get their act together.

I've also read somewhere that the spots have something to do with supports for the big 15" screen, but I'm not sure how reliable that information is.

Kinda funny that I get the problems with my powerbook and NOT my cube which has performed flawlessly for three years. Oh well.

For those intersted in more of the powerbook problems, I would suggest going to Apple.com Powerbook Support Page (http://www.info.apple.com/usen/powerbook/) and going to powerbook discussions. Lots of powerbook users have posted their problems and a few possible fixes

---ebuc
15" 1.25 Powerbook 2x512MB 80GB
450 Cube, 2x512MB and 1x64 MB 120GB

Counterfit
Nov 1, 2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by nesbitt_a
Also, on closer inspection of the casing, i noticed that it was coming away just above the superdrive slot-load. That's the first I've heard of anyone else with that problem. I have two small spots there, one above the PC Card slot, and another tot he right of the power button. I can live with it though, because I couldn't got more than 2 days without it.

Cuckoo
Nov 1, 2003, 03:39 PM
A few days ago, I received my first mac ever, a 15" Powerbook.

And i love it.

And just like you, i got cold feet (can i say that?) regarding it's quality, but mine is perfect

All keys work
No white spots
No dead pixels
Latch closes
Door is flat

This all is no guarantee you'll receive a perfect one, but keep your hopes up, i believe most of them are good.

Cuckoo

lucidfuse
Nov 1, 2003, 04:00 PM
As soon as I opened my laptop there were two problems - the latch and a dead pixel the upper left portion of my screen. I went immediately to the Apple Store where they told me that neither was a problem.

MattG
Nov 1, 2003, 04:26 PM
I just sent mine in for a 2nd screen replacement.

Schiffi
Nov 1, 2003, 06:11 PM
Even my TiBook shipped with a faulty screen. Every computer will have some problems. I suppose the Albook latch is similar to the TiBook latch, one has to close it FAST for it to hold (or use 2 hands either side of the latch). Watch the movie "Daddy Daycare" and see how E. Murphy closes his Tibook. But yeah, always take a faulty machine to an AppleStore because they're usually more qualified to handle repair requests than phone operators.

nesbitt_a
Nov 2, 2003, 07:03 AM
For £2000, there shouldn't be any problems.

Winston Smith
Nov 2, 2003, 08:11 AM
Mine is superb,

No dead pixels
No warping
No keyboard issues
No latch problems

And no white spots which bothered me as the serial number is from the batch that had this problem apparently.

Finally broadband over Airport with a PB is the absolute dogs b's

MattG
Nov 2, 2003, 08:13 AM
For £2000, there shouldn't be any problems. My thoughts exactly. For a computer we had to wait SO long for and pay such a premium for (just because it's an Apple), widespread problems like this should not be occuring. They had plenty of time to work out bugs like this. I can't believe they didn't notice this problem in any of the models they tested before putting them on the market!

nesbitt_a
Nov 5, 2003, 07:12 AM
Apple have finally rewarded me with a new powerbook to replace the practically DOA model that they shipped to me.

I just hope my next machine is perfect -- if not, they'll be getting it back again.

dennis88
Nov 5, 2003, 07:46 AM
@ Powerbook g5

I know that we ordered a 1,25ghz 5400rpm BTO model about the same time, and I'm lucky to not have gotten whitespots either (have had it for over a month).

But since you haven't got it either, i'm wondering if you have been moving your pb around a lot?
I have read that people that travel with their pb a lot have gotten it after a while.

I have rarely moved my pb with me, and I'm afraid that I may get whitespots if I start to move it a lot.
Have you been very careful while taking it with you?

Do you know if every powerbook 15" Al can get whitespots, or is it just a few of all the pb's sold?
I'm very happy with my pb, except that I'm afraid to get the whitespots and start sending it in and so on.

Thanks!

Icekey
Nov 5, 2003, 07:57 AM
I've posted this to the another thread, but my powerbook has been declared DOA on the 4th day since I received the powerbook. What's interesting is that I'm still waiting for my replacement, and rumors are that it will be till mid-december till I get my replacement. In the meanwhile, this is what I'm living with

http://icekey.customer.netspace.net.au/photo/whitespot.jpg

dennis88
Nov 5, 2003, 08:02 AM
Icekey, can you post a picture of your screen with the same backround, but with full brightness?

I would like to see if they are as visible then.

Thanks.

Icekey
Nov 5, 2003, 09:34 AM
Lets see now. 1 is with the solid background with full brightness, and the other with my normal background

http://icekey.customer.netspace.net.au/photo/whitespot1.jpg

http://icekey.customer.netspace.net.au/photo/whitespot2.jpg

Counterfit
Nov 5, 2003, 10:59 AM
I still think it's bizarre how it only shows up on a white background. And when I saw the second picture, I thought there might have been a crack of some sort on your screen, but then I realized it was a panther :o

dennis88
Nov 5, 2003, 11:12 AM
Yeah, I tought it was a crack in the screen too!

LOL

Icekey
Nov 5, 2003, 11:14 AM
It's to do with the light. LCDs can't display light, thus they need the backlight to emit the light for them. So these white spots are basically bruising on the LCD, so more light is emitted through then the normal ones. So when you have a black screen, the light that comes through is minimal, thus you won't really see it. And when you have the display on the brightest, since most of the light of the other areas are bright, you won't really see the spots. Unfortunatley for mine, and many others, the extent of this has become pretty bad that you can't hide it even on the brightest setting. The only way is to have a dark background, which I am doing.

Powerbook G5
Nov 5, 2003, 11:20 AM
I made an all white background and turned my brightness all the way down but I don't think I have any spots. If I stare long enough I think my eyes are playing tricks on me and making me think there could be one but I have to stare at it about 3 inches away from the screen for a minute before it even looks like it. I hope I don't develop this issue, but honestly, if I never heard of it, I doubt I'd ever notice it becoming one.

Icekey
Nov 5, 2003, 11:26 AM
Since Apple is taking responsible for these white spots, I think it's okay for you to do this. Try pushing the back of the LCD and see if you get a pool forming on your LCD. If you do, that those are the spots that you'll get your white smudges. If you don't, then you probably have the newer models. Basically what happens is that everytime you close the lid or carry the laptop around apply pressure, this pool forms. If you keep doing it, the lcd gets bruised and you'll get the spots.

Powerbook G5
Nov 5, 2003, 11:33 AM
Do you have to press hard? I pressed random areas of the lid but don't see any visual rippling going on with my screen. My older PowerBook G3 would ripple over any little shake, touch, or jolt, though, so I am surprised this one is so solid. I guess it's because of the aluminum instead of the plastic shell.

MyPB&Me
Nov 5, 2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Do you have to press hard? I pressed random areas of the lid but don't see any visual rippling going on with my screen. My older PowerBook G3 would ripple over any little shake, touch, or jolt, though, so I am surprised this one is so solid. I guess it's because of the aluminum instead of the plastic shell.

After all I've read on the apple discussion board, everyone who has the white spots has a rippling effect when the push the lid. The people that have gotten good displays back have said that it feels more solid and no more ripple effect when the push on the lid. It seems quite a few people have gotten them back this week and all of them have glowing reviews.

dennis88
Nov 5, 2003, 12:47 PM
I tried pushing the back of my pb too, but I didn't see anythig either.
Mine was sent from apple 23 september as a BTO model. (5400rpm HD)
I don't have any white spots, and if what you say is right, then it doesn't seem like I will be getting any either.

Well I hope not, because I have had it for over a month now, and still no white spots.

Powerbook G5
Nov 5, 2003, 01:14 PM
I ordered mine the day it came out as a BTO, also, but I don't have the display pool issue, so I hope I just got lucky or that somehow the BTO models got a slightly different display run because of the extra day or two delay it took to build due to the BTO nature of the orders. Either way, after a month and a half of bonding with this PowerBook and customizing it extensively, I would be really upset, even if Apple did replace it if it became defective, due to the customizing I've done and the need I have to keep it due to school requiring that I have a computer just about at all times.

Westside guy
Nov 5, 2003, 01:15 PM
Overall I've been very happy with my 15" 1.25GHz Powerbook (4200rpm 60GB drive). Battery live is 3 hours + (I wonder what the correlation is between perceived poor battery live and the 5400rpm drives). I love the keyboard's feel, the wireless works well, the machine is zippy. I port it back and forth between work and home every day, because I'd rather use it than the Linux + Windows x86 machine provided for me at my job (okay, the "Linux" part of that was done by me ;-) ).

As I posted on another thread, I am starting to see a couple white spots if I use a solid background - I've been looking for them after hearing about all the complaints. For normal use they are currently a non-issue, but I will send this in for repair if they get worse.

All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this machine to someone else.

Powerbook G5
Nov 5, 2003, 01:19 PM
I thought that even the 4200 RPM drives were 80 gig...battery life seems nearly unaffected by the 5400 RPM drives though since I get over 3 hours easily out of a full charge, which seems to beat a lot of people even on the 4200 drives. The only "defect" I can tell is that my USB ports "refuse" to let me disconnect devices, as in, I have to really wiggle and tug to unplug USB cables when on all other computers, they usually slide right out. It's a non issue, though, since it just shows that it's in there securely since my PC used to have the problem with the cables slipping out easily by themselves.

Counterfit
Nov 5, 2003, 03:21 PM
I'm pretty sure my PowerBook came off the first run, I bought it at the nearby Apple Store on 9/18. I'm going to stop pressing my screen and my luck now, just in case I break something.

Westside guy
Nov 5, 2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I thought that even the 4200 RPM drives were 80 gig...

The default is 4200rpm 80 gig; but I dropped to 60 gig (55 gig in real life) because it was still way more disk space than I needed, and the difference in price for that extra 20 gig looked higher than it should. If I ever need more I can buy a fast external FW drive, or even perhaps replace the internal one.

Dropping the HD to 60 GB allowed me to switch the memory from 2 DIMMS (2x256) to 1 (1x512) while keeping it at roughly the same price as the stock machine. It seemed to me that I was more likely to need more memory sooner than I'd need more disk space (although in retrospect it looks like 512MB will be plenty for the forseeable future). The only thing I had to go on was my Dell laptop, which had a 12GB disk I hadn't filled (even with Windows and Linux on it), and needed a minimum 256MB of RAM to function decently - and Mac folks kept telling me what a memory hog OS X was... :-)

Even now I've got 37GB free; and that's after installing all the software I need, plus ripping every CD I own to 160-bit AAC.

Powerbook G5
Nov 5, 2003, 07:07 PM
I went from a PowerBook G3 400 MHz with a 6 gig HD and 192 megs RAM so trust me, I know what it's like to think "damn, 80 gigs sounds like a lot" and I also got a single 512 module thinking it'd be a good idea for when I do want to upgrade to a gig of RAM.

Counterfit
Nov 5, 2003, 10:42 PM
Hmm, thanks to having a Direct Connect hub inside my school's network, I have managed to get my disk down to ZERO kB available several times. Thankfully, I have a superdive so that's easily cleared up. Also, I seem to routinely be using about 500MB of my RAM when plugged in, out of the stock 512. I just wish it wasn't so darned expensive to upgrade it.

Westside guy
Nov 7, 2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Counterfit
Hmm, thanks to having a Direct Connect hub inside my school's network, I have managed to get my disk down to ZERO kB available several times. Thankfully, I have a superdive so that's easily cleared up. Also, I seem to routinely be using about 500MB of my RAM when plugged in, out of the stock 512. I just wish it wasn't so darned expensive to upgrade it.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Apple%2BPowerBook&mfr=Apple&cat=RAM&model=PowerBook+G4+1.25GHz+%2815-inch+Display%29&submit=Go

Crucial sells the 512MB SoDIMM for $141.99 - that's right in line with the cost of upgrading my previous Dell notebook. Not trivial, but not outrageous by comparison. Notebook memory is going to be more expensive than desktop memory, for sure.

joelc73
Nov 10, 2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Winston Smith

And no white spots which bothered me as the serial number is from the batch that had this problem apparently.

What serial numbers are part of the batch that are affected? Mine's fine (so far) but I'm curious how worried I should be...

nesbitt_a
Nov 11, 2003, 05:58 PM
Guys, you might like to know that I was told today by the UK AppleStore, that Apple are due to ship 200 (standard-configuration) 15'' al-books this week.

Hopefully our replacements will be among the lucky 200.

dietsoda
Nov 13, 2003, 09:07 AM
Well this is turning out to be the worst experience from any company i've ever encountered.

Ordered a BTO 15" 1.25ghz PB (5,400rpm hdd, 1 512mb chip) from a reseller on the 21st of September. Tooke a month to arrive, 21st October. 1 1/2 weeks into owning it the white spots develop. Ring Apple, who issue a DOA, it's picked up the next day (31st October) by Amsys the UK partner for Apple repair / Applecare.

They ring me 4 days later to say that yes they confirm the problem and it's doa, they say ring Apple in two weeks. I rang them last friday and they said that it wasn't shipping yet, but to ring next week. the woman said it should be with me by the end of this week (tomorrow). I rang them again today to find out when it will be delivered. After nearly two hours oh holding, and being transfered twice to different departments. I eventually spoke to someone who seemed to have some kind of clue. She says that the order went in to the factory on the 5th and that as yet there's no more info. Ring again on Monday she says!

So next week it will have been two months since i originally ordered it. Most of the Apple people I've spoken to really don't seem to have a clue, and aren't very helpful at all. At this point I'd accept a non-bto model and a partial refund, but by the looks of it I'm going to have to cancel my order.

I've got a wifi access point that cost £80 sitting at home now useless, a new £90 laptop bag, now useless. If there was any alternative to Apple right now I'd take it, and I've had to stop recommended to my friedns that they buy Apple as I can't recommend them with a clear conscience any more.

We'll see what happens on Monday, but I'm furious and vaguely upset at how much time and trouble this is wasting. I cannot accept getting my PB only for the whole line to be updated a few weeks afterwards. I waited months for the 15" to be released, then a month for it to arrive, now nearly another month to get one that isn't defective.

jcgerm
Nov 13, 2003, 07:46 PM
I know the feeling. I've had the same problems except I got the white spots repaired, although I can't comment if they're still gone since I had to send my powerbook back AGAIN for ANOTHER keyboard repair. I've had the LCD problem, keyboard problem, and battery problem so far, and I've only been able to use the machine for about 2 weeks. It's been in repair longer than that. Plus, now I'm being told that they can't duplicate the keyboard problem (the right 1/2 of the keyboard is sort of raised and when keys are pressed down, they pop back up and it sounds like tape unsticking). I'm going to strongly push for a replacement if they can't fix it, and I'm going to be extremely pissed if they say they can't find the problem.

My first apple might very well be my last.

nesbitt_a
Nov 19, 2003, 07:14 AM
Apple have FINALLY shipped my replacement Powerbok G4, after an unbelievable five weeks without a mac.

Lets hope this one is without the problems of the first machine.

Fingers crossed. ;)

ITR 81
Nov 19, 2003, 08:19 AM
All the white spots happen when something or you press too hard on the outside of the lid and it presses against the screen causing a white spot. Apple already knows about this issue and is working on fix so everyone will get a revised lid.

Has for issues with the latch..hell I even have latch issues with my 15 inch Titanium but it's not common as it shuts perfect 99% of the time.

As for the gap..unless something happen at the factory or it got dropped I believe Apple just designed it that way.
Samething goes for the keyboard as well.

The only issue with the 15 inch is the white spots which only seems to affect the first batch of PB's. So I doubt you will have issue if you buy one in next couple of weeks or in Jan of next yr.

nesbitt_a
Nov 23, 2003, 05:39 PM
I am still waiting on my replacment laptop arriving.

There have been very few reports of powerbook problems here for the last week or so - am I right in assuming people are having no or very few problems with the hardware revised laptop, since Apple paused production to sort it out.

Andrew

:)

syclone
Nov 23, 2003, 07:46 PM
Not only do I have the white spots, but a now have a group of three pixels stuck on blue in the lower right of the screen. I also got stuck with a Spanish keyboard instead of a standard one, but it seems to work fine. I live nowhere near an Apple store - should I just call apple to get this fixed?

Golem
Nov 23, 2003, 08:26 PM
Apple have FINALLY shipped my replacement Powerbok G4, after an unbelievable five weeks without a mac.

Lets hope this one is without the problems of the first machine.

Fingers crossed. ;)

From when I ordered my 15'' to when I finally got my 17'':) just under 2 months, Got sick of waiting and i was told possibly not before xmas for the 15'' and with the ongoing quality issues I decided to bite the bullet and changed my order.

The 17'' is perfect, well at least till I next need to hop on a plane.

Counterfit
Nov 23, 2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by syclone
Not only do I have the white spots, but a now have a group of three pixels stuck on blue in the lower right of the screen. I also got stuck with a Spanish keyboard instead of a standard one, but it seems to work fine. I live nowhere near an Apple store - should I just call apple to get this fixed? Well, the screen issues happen, one is a design/manufacturing flaw, the other is something that happens in LCDs. But how the **** did you get a Spanish keyboard?! :eek:

MyPB&Me
Nov 24, 2003, 08:43 AM
I got mine last Wednesday after odering it on October 20th. It is perfect, no dead pixels or white spots. I am thoroughly impressed and still convinced that these problems are in the minority, because people with defective computers usually post more.

nesbitt_a
Nov 28, 2003, 06:55 AM
Guys, just to let you know that my replacement powerbook has arrived and is 100% perfect.

No screen issues whatsoever, well done Apple -- it only took you 6 weeks.

Andrew.

MyPB&Me
Nov 29, 2003, 09:03 AM
Got mine Nov. 15th and it has a small faint white spot in the middle of the screen about 3" from the top. Should I have apple replace the lcd? Its a really vibraint screen with no dead pixels and you can only see the spot faintly when its on a white background. I feel liek it stares at me when I write papers on Word. I am super anal about stuff i buy and I am scared that this will drive me up the wall for the nest 4 years.

Counterfit
Nov 29, 2003, 10:57 PM
Too bad you aren't anal about your grammar...
Anyhoo, if it really bothers you, call 'em up.

nesbitt_a
Nov 30, 2003, 05:38 AM
Definetly contact apple about a replacement LCD, or declare the machine DOA and they will replace completely.

Don't settle for defects -- especially at that money!

Andrew