PDA

View Full Version : Make your macbook/ibook look brand new

one1
Jan 5, 2008, 02:23 PM
I have tried everything to keep my iBooks, and now macbook, clean. It seems they always become dingy after a bit, and black marks are common also. Nothing I have used has effectively taken them back to "showroom clean". I've tried all the oxy cleaners, glass cleaners, plastic cleaners, you name it - I've tried it.

Today I decided to take the lady of the house up on a bet. She proclaimed that the Mr. Clean magic eraser will clean ANYTHING. I told her that my Macbook and iBook wouldn't come clean I'd tried everything short of sandpaper to clean them and they remained dingy with little black marks here and there.

She bet me $5 that this magic eraser could make them look like brand new and erase ANY marks on the case, that's black marks and all.

Well, I lost my $5.............. I had marks on this thing that I swore were down in the plastic. Deep black scuffs. It looks like brand new.

I dare you to try it and report back.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5/audiogodz1/stuff/IMG_0903.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5/audiogodz1/stuff/IMG_0904.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5/audiogodz1/stuff/IMG_0905.jpg

TheStu
Jan 5, 2008, 02:38 PM
Yep, Mr. Clean Magic Erasers.

I actually clicked on this thread in hopes that I would see something other than that. :(

JNB
Jan 5, 2008, 02:41 PM
And another man falls prey to the "She Really Does Know More Than I Do™" curse! :p I was actually the one that got my wife hooked on those things -- they work as good as advertised! The finny part is they were never intended for this purpose, IIRC the material was developed for use as an insulating material or something like that.

Now, see if she knows as many uses for WD-40 as you do!

heatmiser
Jan 5, 2008, 02:43 PM
Nice. I'll keep this in mind if/when I sell my Macbook.

one1
Jan 5, 2008, 02:43 PM
Yep, Mr. Clean Magic Erasers.

I actually clicked on this thread in hopes that I would see something other than that. :(

I can show you an orbital buffer and some Zymbol if you wish :) That's more my speed. I'm a guy, with no emo blood so I am not up to date on the latest cleaning supplies, hair gels, and bath and body smells. If it isn't lava soap I don't know how to clean with it :D.....course that's just me.

This was a new one on me, I was plugging my orbital in and shaking the wax when she whipped this little eraser out :D.

they were never intended for this purpose, IIRC the material was developed for use as an insulating material or something like that.

Yes funny how life works out. These really do perform amazingly.

TheStu
Jan 5, 2008, 03:18 PM
I can show you an orbital buffer and some Zymbol if you wish :) That's more my speed. I'm a guy, with no emo blood so I am not up to date on the latest cleaning supplies, hair gels, and bath and body smells. If it isn't lava soap I don't know how to clean with it :D.....course that's just me.

This was a new one on me, I was plugging my orbital in and shaking the wax when she whipped this little eraser out :D.

LOL. Don't think I have considered power tools for buffing some of the scratches out of my macbook!

deadcactus
Jan 6, 2008, 01:06 AM
what does everyone use to clean there blackbook?

is the magic eraser safe to use on the blackbook?

one1
Jan 6, 2008, 01:09 AM
The macbooks, like the iBooks, are painted UNDER the plastic - not on top of it so it doesn't matter if it is red, green, white, black, blue or whatever you are simply cleaning the clear side of the plexi case. :)

Kelly™
Jan 6, 2008, 01:10 AM
Question:
Would this work on the MBP or would it do something silly like rub the silverness off? :p
I know it sounds stupid, but why juggle a gun you never checked for a chambered round.

one1
Jan 6, 2008, 01:20 AM
I cannot remember if I used this on my 17" PB or not before. It's just a machined finish metal so it SHOULD be fine. I suggest testing under the ram panel or somewhere as such out of the way, but I doubt it will cause issues.

skyrider007
Jan 6, 2008, 01:21 AM
Question:
Would this work on the MBP or would it do something silly like rub the silverness off? :p
I know it sounds stupid, but why juggle a gun you never checked for a chambered round.

damp soft cloth works well on MBP

one1
Jan 6, 2008, 01:23 AM
Oh, forgot to mention that "Fantastic with Oxy" in the blue spray bottle is the best cleaner I have used on my 17" PB.

mildolvws
Jan 6, 2008, 02:05 AM
The macbooks, like the iBooks, are painted UNDER the plastic

IIRC, only the original G3 iBooks were spray-painted inside a clear shell. The later iBooks and the white MacBooks are solid polycarbonate and white all the way thru'. Same difference, I guess - you can polish to your heart's content...

If you're a bit cautious about polishing your 'Book, liquid metal polish (Brasso, Silvo, etc) or toothpaste will do the trick. They're a bit more gentle so may take a bit longer but there's no harmful solvents to dissolve your baby into a pool of sticky white goo...

:D

polishmacuser
Jan 6, 2008, 02:18 AM
so anything for the blackbooks i know they smudge but cmon i want to see my beauty clean once in awhile :D

TheStu
Jan 6, 2008, 03:17 AM
so anything for the blackbooks i know they smudge but cmon i want to see my beauty clean once in awhile :D

The Mr. Clean Magic Erasers do wonders on them as well. No more smudges, or fingerprints.

iW00t
Jan 6, 2008, 03:37 AM
Do they remove scratches too?

I usually use Brasso but it is so tiring.

NicoleRichie
Jan 6, 2008, 03:53 AM
Just tried it and it worked great!