PDA

View Full Version : Final Cut on iBook G4?

Zedia
Jan 5, 2008, 04:12 PM
Hi all,

Had a quick question about my new (used) iBook G4 (1.33 GHz Power PC/512 RAM/Panther 10.3.9).

I'm a video editor who uses Avid Media Composer at work, but I was hoping to get an older and cheaper version of Final Cut to mess around with, and get a feel for the program.

Are there versions of Final Cut that will run on an iBook?

Would I need to upgrade my OS? Add more RAM?

Like I said, I just want to use this for messing around. I would probably edit existing QTs, so I wouldn't need to capture any footage.

Any advice? Thanks in advance, looking forward to visiting these forums a lot in the future.

CJRhoades
Jan 5, 2008, 07:44 PM
If your going to do big video editing, you may want to upgrade to 1gb of ram. 512mb probably won't cut it. Also, you will want to upgrade to leopard.

Zedia
Jan 7, 2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks, I will definitely upgrade the RAM.

Don't know about Leopard though. I was hoping to find a cheap alternative that will work with what I have.

I read on another board that FCP 4.5 should work ok, as long as I'm just cutting DV. I'm not really interested in capturing video, just playing around with the interface.

Anyone have experience with FC Express?

Thanks again.

puckhead193
Jan 7, 2008, 02:46 PM
upgrade to tiger i would say. Upgrade the RAM too. You might be able to run the old version of final cut studio on it.
Only bad thing about your ibook is the built in graphics card. Do you plan on doing HD?

Zedia
Jan 7, 2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Not interested in doing HD, this is just for messing around, getting to know the interface, timeline, cutting and trimming functions, etc.

If I wanted to do anything real intensive, I'd do it on my media composer at work.

Thanks again.