PDA

View Full Version : Help Get Panther Up-To-Date for New Revision AiBook Buyers

Pages : [1] 2

SafariKC
Oct 8, 2003, 10:06 AM
Hi Gang,

This morning I, like many of you, woke up to the news of the official launch information for Panther. But felt slighted that they are extending the Terms and Conditions for the G5 owners no matter when they were purchased, yet for those of us who just spent Thousands on the new Revision of the AiBook that they are NOT willing to extend that same right.

I called the upgrade line and was told that they can't make acceptions to the Policy but that I should speak with Customer Relations and Log an Official Complaint.

When I asked for clearification on the policy they said that the reason they are doing it for the G5 is that it was "just shipped". To me... it would seem that the new AiBook have "just shipped also".

I called Customer Relations and gave them the Serial Number and Order Information for my new AiBooks and asked them to Log an official complaint. The lady who took my complaint said that it is not abnormal for Apple to change the Terms and Conditions on offers if enough people call and complain, and encouraged me to have more people call if they could.

So This message is to rally the forces of people who just purchased the new AiBooks in an attempt to get our voices heard. Please call 1-800-767-2775 and have the phone tree direct you to the Operator and ask for Customer Relations. Make it very clear that you would like your complaint to be Officially Logged and heard by Upper Management.

Thanks Gang,
KC

---edit---
There have been numerous reports that recent buyers of Aluminum PowerBooks are qualifying for Apple's Mac OS X 10.3 Up-to-Date program online, despite having ship dates prior to the specified October 8th date. (see subsequent posts)

if this does not work for you, try calling as described above to let Apple know.
--------

edesignuk
Oct 8, 2003, 10:11 AM
Good luck. I would be a bit pissed if I had just got an ALBook and was then expected to fork out cash again for the new OS.

SpaceyGirl
Oct 8, 2003, 10:14 AM
I feel the same way. Granted I ordered my AlBook on Sept. 25th, I just received it yesterday. Then, of course I go to Apple.com to check out a few things regarding my notebook and tada...Panther.

I'm an Apple switcher and it dissappoints me that they cut it off like that. The AlBooks came out after the G5 was released so how does that make any sense whatsoever.

*sigh* I shall be calling Apple.

SafariKC
Oct 8, 2003, 10:18 AM
That is exactly my point. Please do call. Spread the word ... the more the merrier :-)

KC

mainstreetmark
Oct 8, 2003, 10:36 AM
I'll happily spend $130 on a new OS to support my favorite hardware/software manufacturer. If they give it away to everyone who purchased new hardware in the last few monhts, they loose a lot of valuable revenue.

The G5 deal is probably to make up for the extensive delay those poor guys have had. It's been what, over a quarter of a year for those boxes to arrive? My new 17PB arrived a week later.

q1232
Oct 8, 2003, 10:48 AM
I just followed the link on the up-to-date page and entered my s/n for my alpowerbook I received last week and it worked. Even though the $20 is for "shipping" it still charges me $4.50 for normal shipping. When you enter the s/n omit the " - "

minibookhappy
Oct 8, 2003, 11:55 AM
Cool,

but what purchase date did you enter???

nacl99
Oct 8, 2003, 12:04 PM
I went in and did the same thing.

My Al book, purchased SEPT 17. just typed that in and the sn, and it said I qualified...

This has to be on-purpose... Maybe they don't want to piss us off, but they don't want everyone doing it?

Also did anyone notice the message about qualifying that said "you purchase a mac after Oct. 8th that didn't come with Panther" can I take this to mean that systems might ship with panther before Oct. 24? It could also be away of saying it has to be purchased between the 8th and the 24th...who knows.

minibookhappy
Oct 8, 2003, 12:07 PM
good to see it works...but again...did you put SEPT 17 as your purchase date or did you "fake " an oct 8?

thanks

nacl99
Oct 8, 2003, 12:08 PM
I did not LIE... Sept. 17

Counterfit
Oct 8, 2003, 12:19 PM
Worked for me, bought mine 9/18 at a store.

minibookhappy
Oct 8, 2003, 12:23 PM
got an order confirmation myself.
And called to file acomplaint too...you never know.
Let's keep this thread alive and check the developments.

dr_lha
Oct 8, 2003, 12:48 PM
I ordered my first ever Mac, 12" Powerbook, on the 30th September and got confirmation that it shipped today.

I wonder what the chances of it coming with Panther are?

Good to hear some people having luck getting the upgrade, does anyone know if there's any problem getting it if you bought the Powerbook with an Educational discount? I heard a rumour that the upgrade wasn't available (although obviously Panther is way cheaper with the discount).

SafariKC
Oct 8, 2003, 12:52 PM
Humm...

I ordered mine online.. and it still asks what store and city and state. But can't find my Serial Number.. So i've been unable to use the online thing.

Anyone else buy it online? If so, what did you use for Store/City/State

KC

Kwyjibo
Oct 8, 2003, 01:02 PM
its not coming with panther if it shipped today. panther is beign released in two and a half weeks yoru machien will coem with jaguar

dr_lha
Oct 8, 2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
its not coming with panther if it shipped today. panther is beign released in two and a half weeks yoru machien will coem with jaguar

What about this posted in another thread:

15" Coming with a new cat

Just rang Apple to chase my new PB (after 5 e-mails with different expected ship dates in as many days)

They say it will leave Taiwan at the end of this week or the beginning of next and ship with Panther!!!

WoooHoooooo

Probably means it won't actually reach me until 24/10 but maybe I'll get a new Cat early!!!

beerguy
Oct 8, 2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by SafariKC
Humm...

I ordered mine online.. and it still asks what store and city and state. But can't find my Serial Number.. So i've been unable to use the online thing.

/usr/sbin/system_profiler | grep "Customer serial number:"

Remove the dash when entering it online

albockiole
Oct 8, 2003, 01:17 PM
I posted something similar in the "Panther Announcement" thread, so I won't double-post exactly...

But basically, the online form says it can't find the serial number for my 12" PB ordered on Sept. 25 from the Apple Online Store. It's been registered, so they should have the number under my name. The only other thing I can think of is that I ordered it from the Education store... has anyone else who's been able to get the online UTD form to work ordered their PB through the Education store?

Counterfit
Oct 8, 2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by beerguy
/usr/sbin/system_profiler | grep "Customer serial number:"

Remove the dash when entering it online Or just go to "About This Mac", then click on the OS version, it will show the build number of the OS. Click again and it shows the serial number. OR, open up Apple System Profiler and it's shown just above the RAM, in the Hardware Overview section.

mxpiazza
Oct 8, 2003, 01:35 PM
I purchased my new 12" with superdrive from the Apple Store Easton in Columbus on Thursday, October 2nd. I followed the link for the up-to-date program that asked if I bought it from the Apple Online Store. On the form, I put in the actual date of purchase (10/2) and my serial number (without the dash). I put that I purchased it from the Apple Store Easton, and my order qualified. I can't really explain it, but after i saw this page 2 style, i decided to try it. it would have only cost me $70 EDU, but i'd much rather pay $25. i'm quite happy.

edit: and for the record, i bought my computer EDU, so it has nothing to do with that.

beerguy
Oct 8, 2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Counterfit
Or just go to "About This Mac", then click on the OS version, it will show the build number of the OS. Click again and it shows the serial number. OR, open up Apple System Profiler and it's shown just above the RAM, in the Hardware Overview section.

Correct. I used that method to get the serial of my iMac at home (I'm at work) via ssh.

Flowbee
Oct 8, 2003, 01:39 PM
Humm...

I ordered mine online.. and it still asks what store and city and state. But can't find my Serial Number.. KC

Your serial number is in System Profiler. Under the "Apple" menu, select "About This Mac" and then click on the "More Info" button. Your serial number will be listed under Harware Profile.

AaRdVarK
Oct 8, 2003, 01:44 PM
and got charged $4 shipping as well. Oh well, $24 is better than $130.

albockiole
Oct 8, 2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by mxpiazza
I purchased my new 12" with superdrive from the Apple Store Easton in Columbus on Thursday, October 2nd. I followed the link for the up-to-date program that asked if I bought it from the Apple Online Store. On the form, I put in the actual date of purchase (10/2) and my serial number (without the dash). I put that I purchased it from the Apple Store Easton, and my order qualified. I can't really explain it, but after i saw this page 2 style, i decided to try it. it would have only cost me $70 EDU, but i'd much rather pay $25. i'm quite happy.

edit: and for the record, i bought my computer EDU, so it has nothing to do with that.

Amazing... that's exactly what I did (minus the particulars about the store - I bought mine online), and it's no go for me.

SafariKC
Oct 8, 2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Flowbee
Your serial number is in System Profiler. Under the "Apple" menu, select "About This Mac" and then click on the "More Info" button. Your serial number will be listed under Harware Profile.

I'm well aware of that. :-) It's not finding it in the Database. But it's also asking me for a City and State and Store name... even though i bought it online at the apple store.

So i'm not sure what to put in those fields. So that could be causeing the issue. *Shrug*

KC

beerguy
Oct 8, 2003, 01:56 PM
Out of curiosity, have the folks who this isn't working for registered their systems online with Apple?

rotoplooker
Oct 8, 2003, 01:59 PM
I bought my 12" PB on Sept 16th from Apple's online store. Up-to-date does not recognize my SN for qualifiction either. Sounds like only non-online purchases will work - perhaps their retail system doesn't register the SNs on the date of purchase. This bugs me as I wanted to order right away and did so online as I wanted the 80GB drive. Sounds like this drive + panther will cost ~$125 (upgare cost) + ~$200 sales tax + ~$130 for panther. If I'd ordered from Amazon - no sales tax & upgrade would be $24... course I wouldn't have the 80GB drive...

nacl99
Oct 8, 2003, 02:01 PM
I was able to order the kit online ($25) and I had bought mine Sept. 17 in an apple store.

My brother bought his online a week later from the Apple Store online, and his serial can not be found. He called in, and they informed that he would have to mail in his request, ie: print out the form. They also said he probably will not qualify but he might as well try.

I'm not sure why one would work and one not? Unless the online is a loop hole that will be closed?

AaRdVarK
Oct 8, 2003, 02:05 PM
well, to throw a wrench in the works of some of these theories...

I ordered my 12" PowerBook from store.apple.com through the education store on 9/22 and I had no problems getting the up to date order in.

dennis88
Oct 8, 2003, 02:07 PM
what about us living in europe?

coumerelli
Oct 8, 2003, 02:08 PM
I bought my Al 15" superdrive from the apple store in Milwaukee, WI on Sept 30.

I qualified, so for $25.27 I get Panther! Whoo-Hoo!!!

Edit: hey beerguy, I just read your post...good point. I DID register my powerbook online with apple just as soon as I got it - and I qualify for the upgrade. Anyone else want to support THIS theory?

Rufus
Oct 8, 2003, 02:09 PM
My serial number doesn't work either. Brand new 15" been here for 2 days and the form can't find it. Annoying.

nacl99
Oct 8, 2003, 02:10 PM
I was successful and have not registered my mac...

However I don't know if buying it at an Apple Store would do some kind of registration?

nacl99
Oct 8, 2003, 02:12 PM
Has anyone ever confirmed the what the GM build is? What the final version of Panther will be that ships?

I'm running 7b85 and it seems pretty final, but I've heard of some 7c builds.

beerguy
Oct 8, 2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by nacl99
I was successful and have not registered my mac...

However I don't know if buying it at an Apple Store would do some kind of registration?

Yes - they probably registered you at the counter; they did me.

pcpjr
Oct 8, 2003, 02:19 PM
I bought my 15" Powerbook AI at the online Apple Store. I tried all of the suggestions at the up to date site, but nothing. I did receive an education discount and the 5400RPM/Single SO-DIMM upgrades.

My serial didn't work, I called the up to date office @ 188-335-9258 and they personally checked my serial, nothing. They couldn't even bring up serial.

This sucks!

Trust me I lodged formal complaints with the online store and with customer relations.

pcpjr
Oct 8, 2003, 02:20 PM
Apple Up to Date Office:
1-800-335-9258

betoranaldi
Oct 8, 2003, 02:26 PM
does anyone know if you will need to install 10.2 before you can use the 10.3 upgrade disks?

I would hate not being able to do a clean install. to me it would be well worth the extra $50 (EDU Pricing - $25 upgrade price)

ppk
Oct 8, 2003, 02:27 PM
But it's also asking me for a City and State and Store name... even though i bought it online at the apple store.

KC [/B]

KC,

I upgraded online after buying from the Apple online store. I was unsure of city and state and listed Cupertino, CA. It was accepted.

ppk

nacl99
Oct 8, 2003, 02:29 PM
in the past you only had to point the installer to the 10.2 whether it is installed or on a cd...

my guess

rotoplooker
Oct 8, 2003, 02:36 PM
I registered online with apple,
and I couldn't qualify for the upgrade (SN "can't be found") - purchased online from Apple on Sept 16th...

rwclark
Oct 8, 2003, 02:39 PM
I bought a custom-ordered 15" AlBook from the online Education store on the day they were released. Since the web form didn't recognize my serial number, I called the up-to-date program at 1-800-335-9258 and was told that yes, some people were getting their Aluminum PowerBooks qualified even though they had purchased them before October 8th. They told me to call 1-800-767-2775 and speak with customer relations. I did that and got nowhere so I filed a complaint. I hope something comes of all this BS. I am not going to shell out another $100 on top of the $2000 I already spent on a new computer just days ago.

joeyjojoe
Oct 8, 2003, 02:46 PM
so is there some correlation to whom it is qualifying for and the circumstances of their purchase?

did anyone who bought it in a store NOT get the up-to-date thing to work?

did anyone who bought online AND registered get it to work?

did anyone who did NOT register get it to work?

Gus
Oct 8, 2003, 02:46 PM
Purchased my 12" PB on 9/16 from Apple Ed Store Online. Received it 9/26. i just qualified and purchased Panther for 19.95. Sweet.

Regards,
Gus

live4ever
Oct 8, 2003, 02:48 PM
Just pre-ordered Panther thru up-to-date program for my 15" PB (bought Sept. 16) online at Apple Ed. Store Canada. Serial worked and shipping says 8 days.

pcpjr
Oct 8, 2003, 02:52 PM
I am in the exact same boat, except the lady at the uptodate office told me I was the only complaint they had received.

I know better.

pb1212580
Oct 8, 2003, 02:53 PM
Got my new 12" today! Yay! That's the good news!
Panther announced today! That's the Great news!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now, if all of you would think about calling APPLE to Complain AND Log a Complaint about PB/iBook (NON-G5) owners' un-abling to use the Up-To-Date program, and result in Apple's changing its mind about setting that rule, that'd be an SUPER DUPER EXCELLENT AWESOME news!!!

So, Call now and get YOUR own complaint logged (and yes, they will try to get you to not log the complaint AND keep telling you blah blah blah October 8th)...

Call Apple to Log YOUR own complaint SOON at 1-800-767-2775

I did mine and here's to hope that they WILL HEAR US...

ps. for those that got a shipment confirmation, ever thought that if this was brought to their attention, they might go through the up-to-date program and correct that? I hope not but who knows? it's better to get them to change their policy once and for all!

pps. now on a more serious note, when I clicked on the "Qualifying Computers" link under "OS X" - "Update", my computer's model is NOT listed I have a Z07M...but I JUST RECEIVED IT TODAY!!! It was shipped on Oct. 6th.

sorry about the long post... my 2 cents...

CALL CALL CALL CALL CALL YOU, TOO, CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!

pb1212580
Oct 8, 2003, 02:57 PM
Put my order in at Apple Online 09/18
Received my 12" powerbook 10/08 today.
BTO 12" 1ghz 1.25RAM 80G
Registered today online with Apple.

Won't recognize the serial number...

I am thinking it's got something to do with the computer Model Number they listed.
Can people verify their model numbers? Mine is Z07M...

I would LOVE to know if someone put in their order/purchase BEFORE 10/08, HAS MODEL NUMBER Z07M... AND QUALIFIED.

TO HOPE!!!

albockiole
Oct 8, 2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by joeyjojoe
so is there some correlation to whom it is qualifying for and the circumstances of their purchase?

did anyone who bought it in a store NOT get the up-to-date thing to work?

did anyone who bought online AND registered get it to work?

did anyone who did NOT register get it to work?

I purchased online and registered but it did NOT work.

FYI, I put "Apple Online Store" for Place of Purchase, and the city and state as "Cupertino, CA"

pcpjr
Oct 8, 2003, 02:59 PM
According to Apple it doesn't matter when it was received, it only matters what the purchase date is.

MattG
Oct 8, 2003, 03:00 PM
Well it let me order the up-to-date version for the 15" Powerbook I ordered the day they were announced. Cool!

KBFinFan
Oct 8, 2003, 03:04 PM
Tried to register mine, but alas it cannot find the serial number. I bought mine on the 16th from the online store.

I guess I will call and file a complaint.

-kb

Clifford
Oct 8, 2003, 03:07 PM
I just entered my purchase date of Sept. 19 for my Alum. PB G4 and it worked.
It cost $25.45 with shipping and tax.

betoranaldi
Oct 8, 2003, 03:11 PM
so with these upgrade cd's I do not need to have 10.2 already installed on my machine...?

All that i have to do is point it to my 10.2 cd's?

Thakns

rwclark
Oct 8, 2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by pcpjr
I am in the exact same boat, except the lady at the uptodate office told me I was the only complaint they had received.

I know better.

Sucks. I hope they fix this thing. It is ridiculous that they give the upgrade to G5 owners. The AlBook actually costs more than some G5 models. It sure feels unfair.

And for the people who suggest that paying extra for the OS upgrade is not that big a deal when you are already paying thousands, I'd like to note that for me $2000 is actually a lot of money.

harrytmax
Oct 8, 2003, 03:16 PM
I switched to a 15"/1.25 Apple PowerBook on Monday 10/6. So you can imagine how I might feel about this issue!

Disclaimer "on": I am the founder of Public Mind and it is designed to help people like us solve problems like this.

Please read this if you want to participate in a very important social computing experiment in getting companies like Apple to take action.

Although Public Mind is not formally announced (that happens this Saturday at FOO Camp), I thought we might try to band together and get Apple to extend the Up-To-Date program for new Al-PowerBook Buyers.

If you want to help, please visit either www.publicmind.com or the more specific link: http://www.publicmind.com/enduser/group.jsp?node=505

You will need to register with a valid email address. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions, concerns, or feedback. My best, Harry Max

pcpjr
Oct 8, 2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by rwclark
And for the people who suggest that paying extra for the OS upgrade is not that big a deal when you are already paying thousands, I'd like to note that for me $2000 is actually a lot of money.

Preach it brother.

I paid $2500.00, and it took me awhile jsut to save that much. Not only is $2500 a lot of money to me, $100 extra dollars, I SHOULD be saving is also a lot. Unfortunately.

geekpunk
Oct 8, 2003, 03:23 PM
purchased my albook the day it came out and the update worked for me....

Gus
Oct 8, 2003, 03:29 PM
If you registered today, then your machine isn't on theor database yet, for cryin' out loud. You are "officially" registered when yhou get the e-mail from Apple that says "Thank you for registering your Apple Product". Chill out guys.

Regards,
Gus

mxpiazza
Oct 8, 2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by coumerelli
I bought my Al 15" superdrive from the apple store in Milwaukee, WI on Sept 30.

I qualified, so for $25.27 I get Panther! Whoo-Hoo!!!

Edit: hey beerguy, I just read your post...good point. I DID register my powerbook online with apple just as soon as I got it - and I qualify for the upgrade. Anyone else want to support THIS theory?

I bought mine on sept. 2nd from apple store easton (columbus, ohio) with an EDU discount. I registered it the second i took it out of the box, and everything registered fine for me, using the actual purchase date and everything. Here is my theory: when purchasing direct from apple, they know immediately when the serial number was purchased, and it is on record. However, I bet there are batches of serial numbers of computers sent to apple stores and retailers that in their computers are eligible for upgrades, because some of those computers probably wouldn't have been sold until after the 8th. if you were lucky enough to purchase a computer in the batch, then you got your "free" upgrade. anyone want to support THIS theory? :D

QCassidy352
Oct 8, 2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by pb1212580

I am thinking it's got something to do with the computer Model Number they listed.
Can people verify their model numbers? Mine is Z07M...

I would LOVE to know if someone put in their order/purchase BEFORE 10/08, HAS MODEL NUMBER Z07M... AND QUALIFIED.

Purchased 12" PB 9/23 from apple store by phone. Received 10/2. Registered today. Serial not accepted.

pb1212580,
are you thinking of part number, or model number? Those are two different things on the UPC on my powerbook's box. My part number is Z07L... model number starts with an "A."

QCassidy352
Oct 8, 2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Gus
If you registered today, then your machine isn't on theor database yet, for cryin' out loud. You are "officially" registered when yhou get the e-mail from Apple that says "Thank you for registering your Apple Product". Chill out guys.

Regards,
Gus

sorry for the dbl post, but I think he's got it. They have to have your registration. So I'll try again when I get my "thanks for registering" e mail.

MattG
Oct 8, 2003, 03:44 PM
I am supporting the "Apple is allowing people with new Aluminum Powerbooks to use the up-to-date program, but aren't advertising it because they don't want EVERYONE doing it" theory that someone else here came up with.

pb1212580
Oct 8, 2003, 03:46 PM
I am thinking Model Number Z07M... is mine. It does NOT show up on the list. Why is that? I've got a 12" BTO.

Originally posted by QCassidy352
Purchased 12" PB 9/23 from apple store by phone. Received 10/2. Registered today. Serial not accepted.

pb1212580,
are you thinking of part number, or model number? Those are two different things on the UPC on my powerbook's box. My part number is Z07L... model number starts with an "A."

drewcare
Oct 8, 2003, 03:56 PM
Yup, I just tried it on my 15" PB ordered on 9/16 and it worked. Wohoo!

$25 and some change... amazing that there are shipping costs for a shipping cost only item, oh well.

Romanesq
Oct 8, 2003, 04:00 PM
It was bittersweet morning with my PB 15" on the UPS truck scheduled for delivery when I saw the Panther release here.

After speaking twice to Apple and the reseller, who was great btw (J&R) my only choice was to bite the bullet or refuse the delivery and then reorder another one through J&R.

I just put through the order update and it went through on my serial number.

I want to thank you guys who posted this info and also helped identify the serial number quickly. (I'm also new to OS X.)
Could never get it set up again in Jaguar on my S900 UMAX clone so now it's all new to me.

Thanks so much guys. I'm cancelling my other Panther order with Apple right now.
But this computer is sweet and works flawlessly with my old Netgear MR314 wireless router.

Just an awesome machine.

actionslacks
Oct 8, 2003, 04:11 PM
Bought G4 15inch 1.25 on 9/17 form Glendale Apple store

Orederd through up to date - $25.

I hope they don't figure this out or they may cancel all the orders.

Bendit
Oct 8, 2003, 04:13 PM
I just tried to quality for the up-to-date program and it told me my serial number was not found.

I called Apple at the number someone posted a few pages back and the up-to-date lady told me that only powerbooks that were bought after Oct 8 qualify.

What's the big deal? How are some people getting it and others are not? I registered the day I received my laptop (ordered on Sept 26) and I've gotten the confirmation emails.

zync
Oct 8, 2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by albockiole
Amazing... that's exactly what I did (minus the particulars about the store - I bought mine online), and it's no go for me.

That's what I had done and it worked absolutely fine for me....my info:

Computer: PowerBook G4 15" w/SD
Ordered: 9/16/03
Arrived: 9/22/03
Student Discount (obviously if I'm replying to your post)

rwclark
Oct 8, 2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Bendit
What's the big deal? How are some people getting it and others are not? I registered the day I received my laptop (ordered on Sept 26) and I've gotten the confirmation emails.

Well, I was NOT successful qualifying for the upgrade. Here's my info:

Purchase Date: 9/16/03
Arrived: 9/24/03
Registration Date: 9/27/03
Registration Confirmation: Yes
Place Purchased: Apple Online Store (Education)
Model Ordered: Custom 15" 1GHz with Airport Extreme and Backlit Keyboard

(tried serial number both with and without dash)

rwclark
Oct 8, 2003, 04:35 PM
Edited: See post above.

albockiole
Oct 8, 2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by zync
That's what I had done and it worked absolutely fine for me....my info:

Computer: PowerBook G4 15" w/SD
Ordered: 9/16/03
Arrived: 9/22/03
Student Discount (obviously if I'm replying to your post)

Ok, ok... good info to compare against.

Here's my info that didn't work:

Computer: PowerBook 12" 1GHz G4 w/Combo (BTO features)
Ordered: 9/25/03
Arrived: 10/02/03

Anyone else care to post their info and whether or not the up-to-date application worked? Maybe we can find a pattern.

LimeiBook86
Oct 8, 2003, 04:39 PM
I have a 12'' 867 (Rev A of the 12'') and I tried the online up-to-date thing and it gave me this.

http://homepage.mac.com/ibook238/.Pictures/u2d.jpg

Does that meen I can still do it if I mail in the forum? :p I just don't want to pay $129, .Mac uses all the money I have :)

JasonC
Oct 8, 2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by rwclark
That is, I registered my machine, but still couldn't get it to accept my serial number for the update program.

I bought a Powerbook 17 inch 1.33 ghz. from Macmall 2 weeks ago and received it 2 days later. I just entered my serial number in the up-to-date web site and it let me order the update for $25. I registered with Apple the day I got it, not sure if this mattered. We'll see if it works, but I have an order number. It seems ridiculous that you pay $3000 for a laptop and then have to pay for a new OS 2 weeks later...

The_Wall
Oct 8, 2003, 04:48 PM
I ordered my 15.2 in AlPB by calling 1800-MY-APPLE. What would I go to when trying to apply for the update (i.e. online store, or retail store).

My computer will be here tomorrow, so I am going to try and use the updater on Friday. Thanks, and I appreciate everyones help.

jelwell
Oct 8, 2003, 04:57 PM
As my new governor would say, "It's not a rumor!".

It's no rumor, I put in my purchase date of September 16th, my serial number and selected my system to be a Powerbook G4, put in that I bought it at "Apple Store" in San Diego, CA.

Now I have a confirmation number for a Panther upgrade that cost me 25.81$ after shipping and handling and taxes.

Move it on up, to the Page 1, we finally got a piece of the pie-eye-eye!

Oh, I should point out that just because they're taking orders, doesn't mean they'll ship them. ;)
Joe.

picklescott
Oct 8, 2003, 05:03 PM
I purchased my iMac from the Apple Store - Tampa on September 19th. Online I was confirmed for the $20 upgrade. I called their number, it was somewhere in this thread, and the lady first told me that "no" only if it was purchased after today... okay so I told her it worked online and she suggested I mailed in the form. I pursuaded her into checking for me while I was on the phone, and then she told me my serial number didn't match the computer type?! Oh well, it's been ordered online and I better get it!

I believe someone asked about this... but I have never received upgrade disks like this one. Does anybody know if I can reformat and then install it? Will I loose some of the applications that came on the computer like Quicken?

Rocketman
Oct 8, 2003, 05:13 PM
This is all about buy a Powerbook, get Panther.

Not a bad bonus during the "year of the laptop".

Rocketman

arn
well, hopefully Apple will honor the orders.

(moved to page 1)

arn

zync
Ok, ok... good info to compare against.

Here's my info that didn't work:

Computer: PowerBook 12" 1GHz G4 w/Combo
Ordered: 9/25/03
Arrived: 10/02/03

Anyone else care to post their info and whether or not the up-to-date application worked? Maybe we can find a pattern.

I updated my post on page 3 to include that I put in my ship address and Apple Online Store as the place I bought it and I registered when I got it on 9/22/03...Also of interest is that I ommitted the "-" from my SN....people don't always read all the posts and this hasn't been mentioned too much, the people that have had problems have neglected to tell whether or not they ommitted the dash....maybe the people who were denied should tell us whether or not they've done this as no one has yet said AFAIK...

betoranaldi
Oct 8, 2003, 05:16 PM
i dont wanna be a pain but can someone tell me if it is possible with the upgrade cd's to do a clean install... i want a clean install and not have to put it on top of 10.2 i will pay then extra...

please let me knwo

Thanks
Brian

ae86_16v
Oct 8, 2003, 05:22 PM
It worked for me. Purchased through my school on the 16th, was delievered on the 23rd.

stoid
Oct 8, 2003, 05:29 PM
Didn't work for me.

Education

1.25 Ghz 15 inch BTO
Purchased 9-17
Shipped 9-19
Received 9-26
Registered 9-26 (have confirmation E-mail)
SN: V73....

tried with and without dash

Apple Store
Cupertino and my address

Nothing

Pissed

Shiesl
Oct 8, 2003, 05:32 PM
I just went to the Apple site and qualified. I purchased a 17" PowerBook through PowerMax (mail order) on 9/16/03. I did not put in any dashes with my serial number. Rick :)

Pellucidar
Oct 8, 2003, 05:32 PM
I tried and failed with a registered 12" PB with Combo drive purchased online on Sept. 16. Yes, I typed the serial number correctly.

[Addendum] My PB shipped directly from Taiwan with extra memory, so I guess I fall under the BTO theory. I suspect this is a problem on their end with the serial number database.

september29th
Oct 8, 2003, 05:33 PM
Quickly want to chime in with a confirmation of Panther.

Purhcased my AL 15" on the 29th of September.

Total Cost with shippin' - $25.39

Cheers,
.mCr.

Col127
Oct 8, 2003, 05:38 PM
i registered my apple products last night and received a confirmation e-mail from apple this morning. when i tried to input my information, it says it can't find my serial number in the database.. or whatever that error message is.

any ideas?

RichP
Oct 8, 2003, 05:41 PM
Just worked on my 17" PB purchased 9/27/03.

Thanks guys for discovering/complaining to apple about this; I owe someone a beer!

stoid
Is there a different error message for those who put in a "non-existant" serial code than for those with a non-qualifying but registered code?

I got a non existant error message, but I did register, and I did get a confirmation E-mail.

bolocheung
I just tried the up-to-date program for my Al-PB purchased Sept. 17th and it worked. Paid $20 + s/h/tax. Will be getting Panther much sooner than would have for $129. I think the 30 day window of purchase would be a good cutoff for the upgrade across the board. May Apple listened to all the complaints about the upgrade offer and recent Al-PB owners.

danieluk
Oct 8, 2003, 05:43 PM

joeyjojoe
Oct 8, 2003, 05:43 PM
I'm thinking all the BTO machines aren't being recognized because they shipped directly from the manufacture site in Taiwan and Apple never added the serials to the database. I don't know how this could happen, since I even have APP for the Powerbook, but this is my guess.

stoid
Oct 8, 2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by joeyjojoe
I'm thinking all the BTO machines aren't being recognized because they shipped directly from the manufacture site in Taiwan and Apple never added the serials to the database. I don't know how this could happen, since I even have APP for the Powerbook, but this is my guess.

This is my situation, but since I registered you'd think that Apple would have gotten it in the fabled database.

Hami
Oct 8, 2003, 05:45 PM
I ordered my Ai Book on the 16th of Sept, about 2 hours after the announcment, it had an estimated 4-6 day build time (It's a Superdrive 1.25Ghz model, with a single 512 DIMM BTO from the UK apple store).

I phoned them after 10 days, asking why it still had a building status on the site and the Apple Store person said there was a supply problem with the Airport Extreme Cards and they will send me an email later that day saying weither it would ship that week or the week after, as the cards trickle in to stock.

Well the email never came, and I resorted ot calling again. After an hour and half of listening to Enya on hold over 3 separate phone calls, I managed to get a shipping date (2 week of October). I then got an email saying it was shipping 1st week of October, then got one saying 3rd week of October (make your mind up!!!).

After more phone calls they settled on 2nd week of October (due to supply constraints - no mention if it was the Airport Cards even when asked).

I phoned them today to see if they could commit to an actual shipping date and I then quizzed them on Panther as it had just been announced. Did I qualify for the 'up to date' program? I think I should as I have waited almost 4 weeks for my PowerBook 'not' to ship, and in the mean time you announced the new OS.

The reply I got was that I did qualify as the purchase date for qualifing machines is the date they are dispatched from Apple HQ, in my case way after 8th of October.

So if my Ai Book qualifies and I ordered it on the 16th of September, so should everyone elses!

Lets hope it's not just a UK thing...

anyway that's my 2¢, actually reading back it's more like $5!

hami

spice weasel
Oct 8, 2003, 05:47 PM
I am happy for all those that were able to pre-order Jaguar. I hope Apple actual ships it to you and doesn't pick up on the "error."

I'm unable to sign up, though. It tells me that it can't find my serial number, even though I registered my 12" powerbook and received a confirmation email. It was an online education purchase made on Sept. 16.

I can certainly understand Apple making the cutoff today (Oct. 8). After all, they can't give it to everyone for free. It would be nice if they included those who purchased the new powerbooks and the new iMacs as well. And I can perhaps even see giving it free to people who have G5s, since they are really designed to work best with Jaguar, and, as a 64-bit computer, should have had a 64-bit OS on them from the start.

What gets me mad is that some people seem to be able to pre-order with the up-to-date discount and others, like me, can't. Of course we'll just have to wait and see if Apple actually ships those orders. But if they do I am going to be one pissed off Mac user.

I will be logging a complaint first thing tomorrow morning.

aethier
Oct 8, 2003, 05:49 PM
hmm, what do they mean buy "purchased on the 8th" do they mean charging the credit card, or ordering.. because technically you havent purchased it untill its been charge to the CC, i ordered my 15.2 inch 1.25 powerbook BTO 1gig ram, and 5400 hd, last week, but they still didnt charge my dad for it. so does that mean, i am conciderd after the 8th??

aethier

ps: incase you are wandering about my sig, i cancled the BTO dual G5, i am replasing my ibook(giving it to my bro), and will just miss having a laptop, using it at school, and all around my house, is just so much better, then been stuck at a deesk...

LordMydrin
Oct 8, 2003, 05:50 PM
Well, I tried to qualify my system (1.8 G5) online, and couldn't get it to go through. So I called the 800 number. They told me to mail it in, and that the online system hasn't been working well all day. Could it be that the 'wrong' database is being checked? That is to say that Powerbook buyers are getting okayed, and G5 people are getting squat? There won't be a problem if I mail it in, but I don't have any envelopes and I'm lazy... gah... Anyone else with a G5 having this problem?

stoid
Oct 8, 2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by spice weasel
What gets me mad is that some people seem to be able to pre-order with the up-to-date discount and others, like me, can't. Of course we'll just have to wait and see if Apple actually ships those orders. But if they do I am going to be one pissed off Mac user.

I will be logging a complaint first thing tomorrow morning.

My thoughts exactly!!! I can understand the cut-off, but for GODSAKES make it a solid cut-off, not this trailing fringe ******** that leaves me in the cold, while those who made the same order type as I did before I did are given special treatment!

Gus
Oct 8, 2003, 05:53 PM
Don't put Cupertino in as the City. Put the city you live in and the city in which it was delivered to (assuming you live in and had it shipped to the same city of course.) Why would you put Cupertino if you don't live there?

Regards,
Gus

stoid
Oct 8, 2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Don't put Cupertino in as the City. Put the city you live in and the city in which it was delivered to (assuming you live in and had it shipped to the same city of course.) Why would you put Cupertino if you don't live there?

Regards,
Gus

I tried both Cupertino and the city I live in/where it was shipped, and both turned up negative. I also put in the billing address because I just moved and so the address with the CC is still STL. Still nothing. :(

koelling
Oct 8, 2003, 05:55 PM
When I first started up my computer, I registered and the computer froze hard so I rebooted (I was getting pretty worried that my new 15 inch powerbook was broken)

I don't know if it sent the registration or not. Anyone know if there is a way to register manually? It's not accepting my number in the up-to-date

specs:
1ghz 15 inch powerbook build to order
ordered Sept 16
arrived sept 23 (sat in Taiwan forever, must be the same airport limitation as another post here)
ordered through apple store with education discount.
and I remembered to omit the dash (but you still need the numbers after right?)

JediMacster
Oct 8, 2003, 05:56 PM
http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/list.html

If your Mac's in this list, then you're a very lucky bastard! ;)

stoid
Oct 8, 2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by LordMydrin
Well, I tried to qualify my system (1.8 G5) online, and couldn't get it to go through. So I called the 800 number. They told me to mail it in, and that the online system hasn't been working well all day. Could it be that the 'wrong' database is being checked? That is to say that Powerbook buyers are getting okayed, and G5 people are getting squat? There won't be a problem if I mail it in, but I don't have any envelopes and I'm lazy... gah... Anyone else with a G5 having this problem?

If this is some Apple techie mistake, then I don't think the Apple will have a choice, from a customer, history, or legal side to deny orders that have already been placed. This might cause them in turn then to have to give a 20 dollar Panther to all people who are in the same category as those who did qualify again from a customer satisfaction standpoint. Again, I don't mind paying the 70 for education Panther, but only if everyone who just bought a new AluBook like me is paying 70.

imbriumink
Oct 8, 2003, 06:00 PM
First post and the sad thing is that it has to be negative one.

I am a switcher and was expecting great service for the premium I paid for my new powerbook. Instead, they shipped my iPod ground when I paid for expedited and now this!

REJECTED
12.1"
Ordered 9/16
Registered 10/2
built to order...
education

Mineral
I called that line and they said I didn't qualify. I just bought a 15" Powerbook G4 like everyone else the day after the Mac conference.

My serial number doesn't work either on their site, even though I registered it the day I got it.

I guess I'll just keep my money, and my free version of Panther.:rolleyes:

Gus
I dunno what to tell you guys that aren't getting the confirmation. I have already received both the order confirmation e-mail, and the invoice e-mail for the Up To Date order. Maybe try again tomorrow? Sorry guys. :(

Regards,
Gus

Gus
Oct 8, 2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by imbriumink
First post and the sad thing is that it has to be negative one.

I am a switcher and was expecting great service for the premium I paid for my new powerbook. Instead, they shipped my iPod ground when I paid for expedited and now this!

REJECTED
12.1"
Ordered 9/16
Registered 10/2
built to order...
education

If you paid for expedited and din't get it, then call them and tell them so. I'm sure they will give you a rebate, as this happened to me once also. Maybe they'll give you a coupon or something.

Regards,
Gus

stoid
Oct 8, 2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by JediMacster
http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/list.html

If your Mac's in this list, then you're a very lucky bastard! ;)

My Mac is on the list, but doesn't qualify...

But then again, so is the Indigo CRT iMac???

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

rwclark
Oct 8, 2003, 06:13 PM
It looks like quite a few of the PowerBooks rejected were BTO models. Has anyone been rejected who bought a stock model, rather than a BTO model?

pb1212580
Oct 8, 2003, 06:23 PM
I've got a BTO 12" and rejected.

SpaceyGirl
Oct 8, 2003, 06:37 PM
Okie so I called Customer Relations and expressed my feelings regarding this upgrade issue. I understand both sides of the game, our side with feeling cheated out of an update when the fancy G5s all get them. But I know companies gotta make their money. In any case, I did have my complaint logged and the customer rep was really nice.

I also signed up successfully (fingers crossed) for the Mac OS X Panther Up-to-Date.

Here's my info...

Ordered on 9/25 AlPB 12" Combo Drive thru Apple Online Edu.
Received on 10/7
(In fact I was supposed to get it today but FedEx was early.)

I did get a confirmation e-mail for a total of $25.96...so hopefully a nice little package comes for me on October 24th.

GigaWire
Oct 8, 2003, 06:50 PM
Just checked for my 1.33 17" bought 9/21 in an Apple Store, and it cleared.

total recall
Oct 8, 2003, 06:57 PM
seem to have the worst combination, i.e. BTO (Z07E) & purchased in the edu online store

if it really works out for some but not all of new PB buyers, no good

things add up - someone should (even before he is in office) go cupertino and clean house

milksheikh
Oct 8, 2003, 07:09 PM
Has anyone been successful with a BTO powerbook?

Furthermore, when you registered your BTO powerbook, did you enter only the 4 character part no. (i.e. Z07E) or the full 9 character part no. on your box?

applemacdude
Oct 8, 2003, 07:18 PM
Any imac buyers with good luck?

MacRumorSkeptic
Oct 8, 2003, 07:24 PM
Does anyone know if you can take advantage of the Up-To-Date offer in-store during the Oct. 24th event?

Gus
Oct 8, 2003, 07:26 PM
What are these 4 digit serial numbers you are entering? Mine is a very long number from the About this Mac screen. That is the one that I entered and that Apple has on its website in the directions. Have you guys tried that?

Regards,
Gus

stoid
Oct 8, 2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by total recall
seem to have the worst combination, i.e. BTO (Z07E) & purchased in the edu online store

if it really works out for some but not all of new PB buyers, no good

things add up - someone should (even before he is in office) go cupertino and clean house

I think that the Z0... whatever number is the product number and has nothing to do with your serial number. It is on mine anyway. For those of you who did not get the Z0... number to work open "About this Mac" and double-click the version number and it'll give you your serial number, enter that and see if it works.

I am still peeved and out of luck.

edit: Gus got the jump, but yeah!

milksheikh
Oct 8, 2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Gus
What are these 4 digit serial numbers you are entering? Mine is a very long number from the About this Mac screen. That is the one that I entered and that Apple has on its website in the directions. Have you guys tried that?

Not sure if this is in response to my post, but I was referring to registering your powerbook with Apple (not signing up for the up-to-date Panther, for which I'm using the About this Mac serial no.). When you register with Apple (at least on apple.com), you enter both your serial number and the part no. I entered a 9-character part no. beginning with Z07E, rather than only Z07E or a M????LL/A model no.

jeeves99
Oct 8, 2003, 07:40 PM
OK, hopefully this will answer some of the questions that have been raised here, especially about the serial number list.

When you go to apple.com/support to register your product, it does NOT compare against the list of serial numbers that apple has on file. Those of you that have registered and are wondering why your serial is not being recognized by up-to-date are finding that your serial was never in fact in the system to begin with.

So how does one get their serial in the system? Well, I bought a 12" PB on Oct 1st and registered the same day. I also bought applecare and tried to enroll the agreement online the next day (after receiving registration confirmation). It wouldn't take, leading me to believe that the AppleCare form references the serial list. I called the 1800 applecare number and the CS rep could NOT get my serial to clear either. She bumped me up to AppleCare Admin support and they lady there manually entered my serial into the database. Today, I was able to use the up-to-date form succesfully.

So, summary...

1. Registration does not reference the serial database and does not add your serial number if it is not in there.

2. AppleCare enrollment requires your serial to be in the database and a phonecall to Admin support can add it manually if its not in there already.

My computers, all purchased from the oncampus bookstore (not BTO):

Product: 12" PowerBook
DOP: 10/1/03
Up-to-date: Successful.

Product: 15" iMac
DOP: 9/16/03
Up-to-date: Successful

Product: 17" iMac
DOP: 9/27/03
Up-to-date: Successful

[Edited to reflect successful qualification of iMacs]

bikertwin
Oct 8, 2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by GigaWire
Just checked for my 1.33 17" bought 9/21 in an Apple Store, and it cleared.

Me, too.

It's good that Apple is being so reasonable. This is very good news.

zync
Oct 8, 2003, 07:58 PM
I feel badly that some of you were unable to get the upgrade but maybe it's as jeeves99 said and you're numbers are simply not in the db....my computer was not BTO and so maybe it's why mine worked? If the BTO PowerBooks were asembled maybe they haven't added the serials to their db yet as someone else said....in any case sorry guys....

picklescott
Oct 8, 2003, 08:00 PM
I bought an iMac in an Apple Store on Sep. 19th and it went through... hope I acutally get it!

total recall
Oct 8, 2003, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by stoid
[B]I think that the Z0... whatever number is the product number and has nothing to do with your serial number.

did put the number you mentioned, no chance

let us see in a couple of days how Apple will react

there is still some hope

jeeves99
Oct 8, 2003, 08:17 PM
I just edited my above post to reflect the fact that my new iMacs (purchased in mid to late september) just qualified for the up-to-date. I failed before b/c I included the dash in the serial number.

Now, do I need to buy a CD for each computer or is this like the 10.1 upgrade in which you only had to buy 1 cd for all your qualified computers?

cgmaster
Oct 8, 2003, 08:17 PM
Ordered online at Apple Store for Education on 9/16:
17" 1.33Ghz PowerBook - BTO
G5 Dual 2Ghz - BTO

PowerBook shipped on 9/30 arrived on 10/1

G5 shipped on 9/26 arrived on 9/28

Both were registered at Apple's site immediately.

Both are rejected for the "free" upgrade. Obviously the G5 qualifies, so maybe it does have something to do with the BTO status.

P.S. no dash in serial num

FOLLOW-UP
10-12-03
Just tried it again today, and both systems "qualified"----upgrades on the way soon :-)

maclov
Oct 8, 2003, 08:25 PM
Apple's product registration database is clearly flawed. I'm unable to get my PB 1.25 Ghz delivered to me on 9/30/03 registered coz it can't seem to locate my serial number! (Yes, I tried with and without the *dash*)

https://register.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/IReg

My PB is *not* a BTO and was ordered directly through a reseller.

It would therefore appear that the new PB's which have their serial numbers appearing in the database are qualifying for the Panther rebate and those which like mine, have their serial numbers mysteriously missing, are unable to qualify for the rebate.

All of this is of course very strange considering that the new PBs do not figure in the list of qualifying purchases notified by Apple for the rebate , unless they were bought after October 8.

So to those of us who have managed to get their rebates, I say dance with your PB! You're lucky people. :)

jimd909
Oct 8, 2003, 08:32 PM
Well, I have a BTO that was ordered on 9/23 and shipped on 10/1. Invoice has 10/1 and order date.

I just tried the up to date, and it could not find my serial no.

A page back someone noted that they couldn't apply their AppleCare because their serial wasn't in the system. Well, I just applied my AppleCare and it took it. I went back to the up to date, and again it said it couldn't find my serial number.

Why can AppleCare find it but not the up to date? :confused:

highberry
Oct 8, 2003, 08:35 PM
i have a 15" AiBook that i got 3 weeks ago... entered my serial number and the purchase date. took me to the check out screen with out a hitch.

Gus
Oct 8, 2003, 08:36 PM
Just a FYI to all, I never registered my PB on the support site at Apple, I only went through the system set up registration when you first start up a new Mac. I got the upgrade today.

Regards,
Gus

stoid
Oct 8, 2003, 08:37 PM
I can't seem to find my M......./A number. I have one on the iPod and VGA adaptor thing but not my BTO laptop. All I got is a Z07E number.

Could this be my problem???

edit: purchased though the Apple Online Education Store

benoda
Oct 8, 2003, 08:50 PM
Quick question: If you order Panther thru this method do you need to request FedEx in order to get it ASAP? i.e. what kind of shipping is the shipping charge for?

LimeiBook86
Oct 8, 2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by jeeves99
I just edited my above post to reflect the fact that my new iMacs (purchased in mid to late september) just qualified for the up-to-date. I failed before b/c I included the dash in the serial number.

Now, do I need to buy a CD for each computer or is this like the 10.1 upgrade in which you only had to buy 1 cd for all your qualified computers?

I don't think you "have" to :p but Apple says one OS X copy per computer. It is your choice to play by the rules or not. Actually one guy at the apple store near me said that it doesn't matter they just want you to buy more copys. I hope he still has his job :p

albockiole
Oct 8, 2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Just a FYI to all, I never registered my PB on the support site at Apple, I only went through the system set up registration when you first start up a new Mac. I got the upgrade today.

Regards,
Gus

Interesting... I only registered mine through the system setup app when I first started the computer, too. It wasn't until today, when I couldn't get the UTD form to work that I tried registering again, just for kicks.

Gus, have you mentioned whether your computer was built-to-order or not? I wonder if that's the issue at hand... mine was BTO, and consequently, it shipped direct from Taiwan.

fratrow
Oct 8, 2003, 09:00 PM
12" Apple Store for Edu... BTO... Received Friday... Update site: Can't find it... SHRUG...

Gus
Oct 8, 2003, 09:08 PM
Mine was stock, and was apparently one of the first that shipped becasue I had mione LONG before other people started posting about them pretty much anywhere. It did ship directly from Taiwan because it had the Taiwan shipping label with a name and phone number of the shipper.

Regards,
Gus

imbriumink
Oct 8, 2003, 09:29 PM
Just filed my complaint with Apple along with getting a refund on my shipping since they sent my iPod ground when I paid for 2-3 day.

They had me send an email to management.

stoid
Oct 8, 2003, 09:33 PM
I hope that Apple realizes the heap of trouble they are in. They can't revoke ordered Panthers without pissing off a whole bunch of people, and they can't give those with successful orders Panther without giving it to those unfortunate enough not to clear without having their complaint department over-run with disgusted switchers and recent upgraders. I'll bet Stevie is pulling out his hair and cussing out techs right and left as we wait for a response.

KBFinFan
Oct 8, 2003, 09:34 PM
Ya, my things were sent ground too instead of 2-3 day, but I keep forgetting to call.

Also, I thought I had registered my computer, but I guess I didn't...

I just did so I am waiting for the confirmation to try again... I was shocked that you get free issues of the Mac magazine of your choice.. good 'ol Apple

Djehuti
Oct 8, 2003, 09:41 PM
I also have the "not in database" syndrome with a G5. Not only am I registered (more than a week ago), but I activated my AppleCare APP too (a few days ago).

I called the Up-To-Date number and they weren't helpful; told me to mail or fax the form. (Not sure why they bother having a phone number...)

stoid
Oct 8, 2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Djehuti
I also have the "not in database" syndrome with a G5. Not only am I registered (more than a week ago), but I activated my AppleCare APP too (a few days ago).

I called the Up-To-Date number and they weren't helpful; told me to mail or fax the form. (Not sure why they bother having a phone number...)

did you have the BTO??

That is what seems to be causing the problems.

Djehuti
Oct 8, 2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by stoid
did you have the BTO??

Yes.

deadpixel
Oct 8, 2003, 09:48 PM
I just completed my up to date order. I bought my 15" powerbook on Sept 17 from the Apple Store. I had already ordered a copy of Panther from the education store earlier today thinking I didn't qualify. Thanks for the info! Now I can use the money I saved to renew on .Mac membership.

nydoofus
Oct 8, 2003, 09:52 PM
Didn't work for me

Powerbook 1.25 Ghz (BTO)

cybermat
Oct 8, 2003, 09:53 PM
Ordered my 15" 1.25 on 9/16. Just went through the OSX up-to-date link and found my serial number.. Yuppie.. This is sweet. Educational discount + bundle with Ipod + now discounted Panther. :)

From reading the posts so far, it seems like the system is not recognizing the BTO serial numbers. This is really odd. Has anyone reflected this trend to Apple?
Something must be done about this.

Cheers

betoranaldi
Oct 8, 2003, 09:57 PM
well found out you cannot do a clean install with the upgrade disks, that 10.2 needs to be installed on the machine, so i think i am going to cancel my upgrade order and order pather through edu for $69... i cant stand not being able to clean install

stoid
Oct 8, 2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by betoranaldi
well found out you cannot do a clean install with the upgrade disks, that 10.2 needs to be installed on the machine, so i think i am going to cancel my upgrade order and order pather through edu for $69... i cant stand not being able to clean install

What is your source?? I got the free for educators Jaguar upgrade and it allowed a clean install.

betoranaldi
Oct 8, 2003, 10:16 PM
What is your source?? I got the free for educators Jaguar upgrade and it allowed a clean install.

just going by what someone said in another board that had recived the jaguar upgrade cds.... please tell me hes wrong i would love to spend only 25 rather then 75

stoid
Oct 8, 2003, 10:18 PM
I know that somehow I had managed to F-up my system at home pretty badly, and I was able to do a clean install (at least where it does a clean install but wraps up the present HD in a .dmg file.)

miradu
Oct 8, 2003, 10:19 PM
I have a education BTO 12 inch powerbook. (upped the harddrive on the superdrive model).

It cannot find my serial number. I used the apple setup util to register my powerbook, and received an email from Apple confirming my registration. This sucks. Going to call tommorow to complain. If you use the system enough it "breaks" and says use the mail in form instead.

coumerelli
Oct 8, 2003, 10:45 PM
I got the free for educators Jaguar upgrade and it allowed a clean install.

Here's what I remember...

Remember WAAAAAAAY back when 10.0 pretty much stunk the place up? And Apple said you could update to 10.1 but CompUSA was giving it away?
In order to use those disks, you needed 9.1 on the system (I had 8.6 at the time and needed 9.0 to get to 9.1). At any rate, it was more or less a HUGE patch.

Fast Forward about two years - Jaguar. I too received the free 10.2 CDs via the 'Teacher Promo' and those were FULL INSTALL CDs. Didn't need anything to put those baby's on.

I suspect that the up-to-date will be similar to the former - 10.2.x required to install 10.3.

However, since 10.2, OS X has played vary nice to home folders and apps with regards to 'clean installs' allowing you to wipe the thing clean save those folders.

albockiole
Oct 8, 2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by miradu
If you use the system enough it "breaks" and says use the mail in form instead.

It does that for me, as well... it was probably built that way on purpose in order to end what could become an endless loop of entering what happens to be a legitimate (or in other cases, illegitimate) serial number.

I guess it's similar to what the people at the UTD office are saying when people call regarding this issue: "uh, I don't know what to do with what you're telling me, so print the form, fill it out, and send it in."

maclov
Oct 8, 2003, 11:29 PM
did you have the BTO??

Not true in my case. Had a 1.25Ghz PB delivered to me on 9/30/03; *not* BTO.
The Apple registration database is still unable to locate my serial no.

yujini
Oct 8, 2003, 11:42 PM
I bought my 15inhc powerbook yesterday night at my edu store,
registered my pb when i got home and i qualified for the purchase.

Just couldn't hold off till panther came out :)

But I don't know if i was lucky or something, but it seems like the latch, LCD problems have been fixed.
fortunately for me, no dead pixel.

mxpiazza
Oct 8, 2003, 11:43 PM

i highly doubt apple would send us crippled install disks... i'm sure it will only be the cd's, no nice retail package, but i doubt they wouldn't let you do a clean install... i'm definitley gonna call up and check though!

trunksfujita
Oct 9, 2003, 12:04 AM
I bought my new 17" powerbook september 21, with $300 educational discount case i am a student, and my powerbook is registered with them, cause i called them for support, and i qualified for the panther upgrade, i paid a total of $28 with 2nd day shipping.

SO YOU QUALIFY.

Originally posted by dr_lha
I ordered my first ever Mac, 12" Powerbook, on the 30th September and got confirmation that it shipped today.

I wonder what the chances of it coming with Panther are?

Good to hear some people having luck getting the upgrade, does anyone know if there's any problem getting it if you bought the Powerbook with an Educational discount? I heard a rumour that the upgrade wasn't available (although obviously Panther is way cheaper with the discount).

usrg
Oct 9, 2003, 01:47 AM
I think my problem is that I'm not registered (it's not finding my serial number). So how do I register?

UCSD Slacker
Oct 9, 2003, 02:08 AM
Eventhough I bought my new powerbook in September, I was still able to buy the $20 update this afternoon. Just cut 'em the check and they probably won't ask too many questions.

NicoMan
Oct 9, 2003, 02:16 AM
i highly doubt apple would send us crippled install disks... i'm sure it will only be the cd's, no nice retail package, but i doubt they wouldn't let you do a clean install... i'm definitley gonna call up and check though!
I don't think the full/upgrade distinction applies. They call it upgrade so that customers see it as a step UP from their current software, but it's actually always a full version. The installation process doesn't give a damn about what's on your HD. That you're installing on a Mac is proof enough.

NicoMan
Oct 9, 2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by coumerelli
In order to use those disks, you needed 9.1 on the system (I had 8.6 at the time and needed 9.0 to get to 9.1).
It's only because it was a free upgrade. Paid (i.e. not free to the general public) "upgrades" (like 10.2, 10.3) come as full versions.

trunksfujita
Oct 9, 2003, 02:22 AM
for your information, including the serial.

cheesy
Oct 9, 2003, 03:40 AM
It worked for me.

I ordered a new stock 17" 1.33GHz G4 PowerBook from the ADC Apple Store on September 16 and recieved it about 2 weeks ago.

I went to the Panther Up-To-Date page (http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/) and clicked on the link For Macintosh Systems purchased directly from the U.S. Apple (online) Store. I logged in, selected Powerbook G4, entered September 16, 2003, entered the serial number, entered "Apple Store" and my shipping city and state as the location purchased. It worked fine and let me ad it to my order, then I completed the order.

I got several confirmation emails and the Order Status page says it is still Open (which is good).

Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope they don't decide to remove my order.

iTom
Oct 9, 2003, 04:09 AM
I'm on about my sixth Mac from over the years and Apple has traditionally let you have the upgrade for 20.00 if you bought a computer within 30 days of a new system upgrade.If that's not the case this time it would surprise me so try to relax folks.

johnnyjibbs
Oct 9, 2003, 04:34 AM
I bought a 12" PB 80GB BTO from the UK Apple Education Online Store on 22 September. It shipped on 4 October and has since been delayed. I have not yet received it.

This has meant I have had to start uni without my computer and will now have to go all the way home next weekend at a cost of about £50-60 ($100) to pick it up. I need to go home because the iPod coming with it is my brother's and my Mac is currently the only computer we have that will work with it.

According to Apple, I do not qualify for Panther, but people buying them now (who could receive them before me) do. I'm going to ring up and beg for the upgrade if mine isn't eligible. I think that's reasonable. Obviously I can't find out for sure until it arrives. *Sigh*

Squozen
Oct 9, 2003, 05:28 AM
You can find the serial number on a 15" AlBook by removing the battery and looking inside the battery compartment.

rlarose
Oct 9, 2003, 06:06 AM
Gave it a test this morning for my 15" PB I purchased on the 16th. Typed in all the required info about it and qualified.

Must be a nice little "Thank You" to all the PB buyers!

sinser
Oct 9, 2003, 06:22 AM
Hi all!
I bought my PBook on 2/10 on AppleStore Italy. It hasn't shipped yet. Is ther someone aware of italian clients who have been qualified even purchasing before 8 October?

Alf.

russgra
Oct 9, 2003, 06:54 AM
I got my 15" G4 Powerbook on October 2 and was pretty unhappy with another $129 on top (AUD$ edu price). I thought I would try my luck and I entered the information (truthfully) on the Australian up-to-date website and to my suprise I got accepted! Now panther is only $35. Don't believe what Apple is officially saying about October 8th!

amacedo
Oct 9, 2003, 07:02 AM
Yes! Yes!
I bought my new Powerbook G4 15" on September 20th. Well, I follow the link on this posting to "Up-to-date" program, filled the form and... yeah! My upgrade is on its way for less than 21 dollars. God bless Apple.

XzeroR3
Oct 9, 2003, 07:26 AM
SN not found and my SN doesn't have a dash.

Z07E 15" 1.25ghz BTO
ordered 9-16

I hope this gets fixed soon.

milksheikh
Oct 9, 2003, 07:38 AM
Since people probably aren't reading all 7 pages of this thread, let's ask again: Has anyone been successful with a built-to-order mac's serial number (powerbook or otherwise)?

betoranaldi
Oct 9, 2003, 07:43 AM
just got off the phone with apple.

They told me even though i have a order number and a order conformation that the form that you fill out online when sent to the uptodate program to be completed/shipped will be rejected.

So what to do now? I dont no, I have place and order for the upgrade cd's and a boxed version. will probably keep both orders and if they both come sell one of them.

Seeing how i got the boxed version for $75 after tax i could probably ebay it for $99 and make some money. or if someone here wants to work somthing out that doesnt wanna spend the 130 let me know and we will see what happends.

::edited for typos::

MattG
Oct 9, 2003, 08:15 AM

They told me even though i have a order number and a order conformation that the form that you fill out online when sent to the uptodate program to be completed/shipped will be rejected.

So what to do now? I dont no, I have place and order for the upgrade cd's and a boxed version. will probably keep both orders and if they both come sell one of them.

Seeing how i got the boxed version for $75 after tax i could probably ebay it for $99 and make some money. or if someone here wants to work somthing out that doesnt wanna spend the 130 let me know and we will see what happends.

::edited for typos:: Well I'm going to leave my order open and see what happens. If it goes through, great. If it doesn't, I'll order the edu version and maybe I won't have it on the day of the release--big deal.

Regardless, those guys on the phone typically don't know their ass from a hole in the ground anyway. He probably knows nothing more than what Apple told him -- the only pre-10/8 orders that qualify are G5 orders.

robisc
Oct 9, 2003, 08:20 AM
OK, does anyone know if it is possible to get my serial number from Apples site somewhere, I mean all my Apple stuff is registered there so there should be a record of my hardware huh?

betoranaldi
Oct 9, 2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by robisc
OK, does anyone know if it is possible to get my serial number from Apples site somewhere, I mean all my Apple stuff is registered there so there should be a record of my hardware huh?

you can find it by going to about this mac and then click twice on the version number and it will pop up

betoranaldi
Oct 9, 2003, 08:37 AM
UPDATED

Called apple again, tech support confirmed that you will need 10.2 installed on the partition in order to use the 10.3 up to date cd's, you cannot install it on a freshly formated drive.

I talked to someone who actuallly cared about this hole up to date nonsesce and is going to get back to me with wether orders are going to be acppted or will be canceled.

if orders do go through i will keep both of mine keep the boxed version and help out someone who would like the upgrade cd's and are not eligable

sticks
Oct 9, 2003, 08:41 AM
Has anyone from Canada gotten it to work?

I ordered a BTO 17" PowerBook on Sept 16 (got it on the 29th) and my serial # was not found. :(

Just curious to see if the people who are getting it to work live in the US...

-sticks

p.s. first post for me, celebration!

robisc
Oct 9, 2003, 08:53 AM
you can find it by going to about this mac and then click twice on the version number and it will pop up

that is why I need it from the website, I am not at my Mac.

MacIke
Oct 9, 2003, 08:55 AM
I tried yesterday. I purchased mine Online from the apple store on Sept 16. I placed in the correct date.

All worked.

Here kitty kitty kitty

nickfit
Oct 9, 2003, 09:14 AM
Looks like they are quietly letting people get it even if they purchased their powerbooks before 10/8. I purchased mine 9/19 through Apple Education Online (used that as the city of purchase as well), and went through the links are qualified for the upgrade price. I suspect that they are just going to let people figure it out themselves, of course with the help of the nice people that post here.

jshea
Oct 9, 2003, 09:17 AM
I also have a BTO powerboook 15". Ordered over phone from Apple Education around 9/20??. Shipped on 9/27. UpToDate site says that the serial number cannot be found.

soakwashrinse
Oct 9, 2003, 09:24 AM
BTO 15.2" PowerBook 1.25, ordered on 09/16/2003, recieved 10/02/2003. Serial not found.

Scanning the thread, it looks like the BTOs are getting rejected... has *anyone* (G5s included) with a BTO had their serial accepted?

coumerelli
Oct 9, 2003, 09:27 AM

I think he wanted to verify that Apple indeed has his number.

And I don't know where apple would have it.

PLin
Oct 9, 2003, 09:47 AM

Called apple again, tech support confirmed that you will need 10.2 installed on the partition in order to use the 10.3 up to date cd's, you cannot install it on a freshly formated drive.

I called Apple tech support last night, and I told him that I didn't want to waste $20 if the the CD's wouldn't install on a freshly formatted drive. He assured me that, unlike the Jaguar Up-to-Date CD's, the Panther CD's wouldn't be crippled.

I had him document our conversation and give me a case number in case I spend the $20 and find out later that he is mistaken.

betoranaldi
Oct 9, 2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by PLin
I called Apple tech support last night, and I told him that I didn't want to waste $20 if the the CD's wouldn't install on a freshly formatted drive. He assured me that, unlike the Jaguar Up-to-Date CD's, the Panther CD's wouldn't be crippled.

I had him document our conversation and give me a case number in case I spend the $20 and find out later that he is mistaken.

Interesting tech support told me that they would be just like the jaguar upgrade cd's

That yes you can do a clean install meaning that you need to have jaguar installed then you run the update disk then it gives you an option do you want to format and install which would be a clean install.

Therefor techniqly you can do a clean install but it cannot be on a freshly formatted drive, it needs to have 10.2 installed on it

filmpro
Oct 9, 2003, 10:48 AM
I think this is quite funny....I went to the upgrade form, told them honestly that I bought the 17" pb on september 1, and it came back "qualified". This is amazing to me...could it be a quirk??? They clearly say Oct 8 or after. Anyway, for the uninformed----your serial number is found by doubleclicking on the version number after yo click on ABOUT THIS MAC. When submitting the upgrade form, if you bought it from apple online, use nyc, ny as the city and state.

mxpiazza
Oct 9, 2003, 10:50 AM
Interesting tech support told me that they would be just like the jaguar upgrade cd's

That yes you can do a clean install meaning that you need to have jaguar installed then you run the update disk then it gives you an option do you want to format and install which would be a clean install.

Therefor techniqly you can do a clean install but it cannot be on a freshly formatted drive, it needs to have 10.2 installed on it

That's what they told me... you can't install it on a freshly formatted drive, *per se*, however, if 10.2 is installed on the drive, it will then let you do a format and install as part of the installation program. You need 10.2 on the drive though. So people who couldn't do this: users of anyone without jag-wire, etc. So if you plan on having panther on a firewire HD, then make sure you install jag-wire on it first.

Zaknafein
Oct 9, 2003, 10:52 AM
Another 15" AlBook that keeps saying serial not found.

(BTW, what does BTO stand for?)

Mine did ship directly from the manufacturer in Taiwan.

G6iPod
Oct 9, 2003, 10:57 AM
I bought a BTO 15" Powerbook on September 17th. Serial number rejected.
I encourage everyone to call Apple Customer Relations and file a complaint. I think it's working because I metioned Jaguar and my new laptop and the lady already new the complaint. She said they'd been getting a lot of them. The more they get the better though. So everyone who didn't qualify for the upgrade with a new computer call 1-800-767-2775. I didn't even have to wait on hold more than a minute or two and overall the phone call wasn't more than a minute—well worth the five minutes.

Thanks

betoranaldi
Oct 9, 2003, 10:58 AM
That's what they told me... you can't install it on a freshly formatted drive, *per se*, however, if 10.2 is installed on the drive, it will then let you do a format and install as part of the installation program. You need 10.2 on the drive though. So people who couldn't do this: users of anyone without jag-wire, etc. So if you plan on having panther on a firewire HD, then make sure you install jag-wire on it first.

see to me this is an unsessesary step and a pain in the a$$... if your hard drive crashes you need to install 10.2 in order to install 10.3... imho that is crap well worth the 50 more to be able to install and a freshly formatted drive.

BTO - Built/Build To Order (custom configuration)

stoid
Oct 9, 2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Zaknafein
(BTW, what does BTO stand for?)

Mine did ship directly from the manufacturer in Taiwan.

Built-To-Order (customized on the Apple website)

If yours shipped directly from Taiwan, it's likely that it was a BTO

Zaknafein
Oct 9, 2003, 11:03 AM

It was, I added an Airport card. I did not order mine online, I placed the order with a rep over the phone.

Beleava24
Oct 9, 2003, 11:09 AM
Okay folks:

Today, I officially became a switcher! I ordered a fresh 15" Al PowerBook online from the Apple store. I checked the status of my order and it said it will ship on or before 10/24. Since Pather is released on that date do you guys think that my first ever Mac will come with Panther installed?? Let me know your thoughts.

Unfortunately, I have to use my PC until my PB arrives but that's okay...I'll just use it to play Madden 2004.

cheesy
Oct 9, 2003, 11:11 AM

If this is true there will be a LOT of VERY unhappy people, myself included

Peyote
Oct 9, 2003, 11:20 AM

He asked about getting his erial from Apple's site. Which would be valueable in finding out if Apple has a record of your serial in the first place.

*sigh* I'm getting tired of people too lazy to read.

crees!
Oct 9, 2003, 11:26 AM
I just called the UpToDate line and then Customer Relations. They said upper management is looking into the issue and I received a confirmation #. No biggie... $70 is ALOT better than paying a few hundred for some Windows junk!

oldschool
Oct 9, 2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by sticks
Has anyone from Canada gotten it to work?

I ordered a BTO 17" PowerBook on Sept 16 (got it on the 29th) and my serial # was not found. :(

Just curious to see if the people who are getting it to work live in the US...

-sticks

p.s. first post for me, celebration!

No...they can't find my serial number either. Mine was a canadian education purchase

irving47
Oct 9, 2003, 11:48 AM
Called the OS "ex" up to date center. They don't say "Ten" on their phone tree.
Same as everyone else... Called the Customer service center and got the phone cube lady who claimed she was a "Senior" drone. How special for us both!
I told her about how people in the hundreds are getting this done, but she insisted that no exceptions were being made. She didn't want to hear about the people on 'an external website' who said otherwise!

I asked her what she expected us to all do, but she wouldn't break from the scripted PR-friendly answers. I think that's what got me the maddest. I don't like PR people with scripted BS.

The answer we all like, I suppose, if not instant gratification, is that enough calls might trigger a policy change. Let's hope.

More people need to call! I wasn't on hold for more than a minute, tops.

1 800-767-2775!

tny
Oct 9, 2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by soakwashrinse
BTO 15.2" PowerBook 1.25, ordered on 09/16/2003, recieved 10/02/2003. Serial not found.

Scanning the thread, it looks like the BTOs are getting rejected... has *anyone* (G5s included) with a BTO had their serial accepted?

My BTO G5 was rejected.

Abraxsis
Oct 9, 2003, 12:03 PM
I ordered an 867 12" BTO Powerbook on September 4th. They upgraded me to a 1GHz BTO PB on the 16th of September. Didnt receive it till the 2nd of this month. Anyone else qualify who had their machines upgraded??

cheesy
Oct 9, 2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by tny
My BTO G5 was rejected.

so was my friends, he called in and had to fax some stuff in or something

Abstract
Oct 9, 2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by actionslacks
Bought G4 15inch 1.25 on 9/17 form Glendale Apple store

Orederd through up to date - $25.

I hope they don't figure this out or they may cancel all the orders.

I hope that when you guys are filing your complains, that you AREN'T complaining about some MacRumors members being able to get the update despite buying their machines well before Oct 8th.

File your complaints, please. However, don't ruin it for the people who got the update for $20. Thanks.

PS: I bought my machine on October 4th at an Apple reseller (at a University) store that had it in stock., registered it on October 6th, and got the upgrade to Panther for $29 Cdn.

G6iPod
Oct 9, 2003, 01:59 PM
Don't worry, when I filed my complaint I didn't mention the people whose orders were going through, although they've probably figured it out by now.

rwclark
Oct 9, 2003, 02:00 PM
There is a new report on MacInTouch (http://www.macintouch.com/panreader.html) about Panther upgrade qualification problems.

G6iPod
Oct 9, 2003, 02:01 PM
Don't worry, when I filed my complaint I didn't mention the people whose orders were going through, although they've probably figured it out by now.

Assuming we are finally allowed our free upgrades, can't we just download Panther from Apple for free after it's released and not pay for "shipping"?

etoiles
Oct 9, 2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by G6iPod

Assuming we are finally allowed our free upgrades, can't we just download Panther from Apple for free after it's released and not pay for "shipping"?

hell, I want Steve Jobs to personally come by and install it on my machine !

big duane
Oct 9, 2003, 02:35 PM
i ordered my 15" superdrive PB at apple.com on sept 20, and it arrived on the 25th. and the $20 os upgrade found at http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/ went through for me no problem this afternoon. good luck to everyone else!

EatingPie
Oct 9, 2003, 02:40 PM
Has anyone received an order confirmation e-mail?

The Apple people told me that the orders would not be processed and that you would receive an e-mail stating that you didn't qualify... even though the Web Site said you did. I don't believe her, so I wanted to see if people have received *any* e-mail about their order.

-Pie

Mineral
Oct 9, 2003, 02:43 PM
Since you're not letting us BTO people wiht PowerBooks get the upgrade, I'll just keep my money and my FREE COPY of Panther that I acquired without you.

No way in Hell I'm paying them anything for Panther now.

betoranaldi
Oct 9, 2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by EatingPie

The Apple people told me that the orders would not be processed and that you would receive an e-mail stating that you didn't qualify... even though the Web Site said you did. I don't believe her, so I wanted to see if people have received *any* e-mail about their order.

-Pie

I was told the same thing by a very bitchy woman....

But i did recieve an order conformation email from them, and they put a money hold on my credit card.

I will acept the fact that i am not elibable but they have some explaining to do if i am not yet they still put the hold on my card.

Counterfit
Oct 9, 2003, 02:58 PM
Mineral, dude, calm down. It's most likely a glitch or something in the database. We'll see in a few days. I bet things are pretty hectic in Cupertino and wherever there phone support is located.

Clarkey
Oct 9, 2003, 03:04 PM
I think what we have here is a technical error on Apple's website, where people are being lead to believe they're getting Panther at a reduced cost. Many of these people are those who are still upset that they don't qualify under the announced rules, and are now "seeing water in the sand" if you will. The agreement is pretty clear on who qualifies -- as are the support staff at the Apple Update Center.

Check back at the end of the month and see just how many people who've received Panther for "free" even though they don't qualify. I'm willing to bet the number is very small.

Don't get me wrong guys, I'd love to be wrong about this...

:(

serge2k
Oct 9, 2003, 03:07 PM
Hey i ordered mine the 23rd and got it the 30th.

12" PBG4
60gig HD-Built to order, the rest is standard equipment

My serial didnt go through... Just read that Apple is going to cancel all the current orders that people put in for the upgrade for panther with the new powerbooks????

Isnt this illegal? Isnt it the same thing if you like go into a store and they advertise something wrong or put the wrong price on a product, doesnt the store have to honor it anyways because it was their fault.. wouldnt this apply to this mistake that Apple made??? im just wondering cuz if they cancel those orders maybe some people can start a case.... lol.. just wondering..

I think im just going to wait and pay the edu price for it.. 69 bucks aint that bad for a new OS... i think... others have their own opinion on that price...

Abstract
Oct 9, 2003, 03:21 PM
^^^I think you're right, but despite buying my machine on Oct 4th, I'm willing to bet that I'll still get screwed at the end. I always get screwed.

Clarkey
Oct 9, 2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by serge2k
Isnt this illegal? Isnt it the same thing if you like go into a store and they advertise something wrong or put the wrong price on a product, doesnt the store have to honor it anyways because it was their fault.. wouldnt this apply to this mistake that Apple made??? im just wondering cuz if they cancel those orders maybe some people can start a case.... lol.. just wondering..

Everyone here knows the qualifying dates, and whether or not they actually qualify (based on Apple's guidelines -- it is stated in writing on their website, as well as on the PDF agreement) based on when you "bought" your computer. Some people are in more of gray area, and they should individually speak with Apple on clarification. Face it, most of us don't qualify, and we thought we could get away with it.

It's not going to happen.

johnnyjibbs
Oct 9, 2003, 03:30 PM
Someone in that MacInTouch report reckoned the 8th October cut-off point may be set when you are invoiced (ie. delivery). I hope that's right 'cos then mine would qualify. Apparently my 12" PB is arriving tomorrow so I can check this weekend.

big duane
Oct 9, 2003, 03:33 PM

-Pie

i got the email confirmation; $21.62 total. but obviously we'll all still have to wait until 10.24 to see how much we're REALLY charged.

mxpiazza
Oct 9, 2003, 03:42 PM

-Pie

Dear Apple Customer,

Your order is being processed. The following products will be shipped.

Item # Product # Product Description Qty Price Ext Price
______ ____________ ______________________________ ____ ________ __________
000010 M9231LL/A MAC OS X PANTHER 10.3 FULFIL/U 1 19.95 19.95

000020 GRNDSHIP01 GROUND SHIPPING 1 4.00 4.00

Subtotal: $ 23.95
Sales Tax: $ 1.35
Total price for your order: $ 25.30

bosongluon
Oct 9, 2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by big duane
i got the email confirmation; $21.62 total. but obviously we'll all still have to wait until 10.24 to see how much we're REALLY charged.

I'm sure they would just cancel the up-to-date orders rather than charging everybody the full price. After all, everybody has agreed to purchase the up-to-date and not the $129 "upgrade." The website says that they have the right to cancel any order at any time. But they cannot legally charge you $129 for a product you never contraced for. Don't worry--no suprise bills! javascript:smilie(':)')

I guess us AlPB owners are just not important enough in the eyes of Apple!:) :)

dilleet
Oct 9, 2003, 06:44 PM
I got my AlPB 2 days after it was announced from CDW. The Panther update page took my serial number with no problem and I got 2 conformations from Apple of my purchase for 24 bucks & change. For those of you looking for your serial numbers, shame, take a look at your Apple System Profiler or get info window, aren't you curious as to what's in your unit?

sir_max
Oct 9, 2003, 06:54 PM
hi@all...first post!

too bad that it has to be about this topic :(

Filed complain...got the new 12" PB 1ghz...was ONE MONTH delayed and they refuse to give me an update....unbelievable..

I encourage everyone to do it....takes only a few minutes. what happened to customer service :mad:

LMarie
Oct 9, 2003, 08:16 PM
I bought my 15" powerbook on 9/18, it shipped from Taiwan on 9/23, it arrived on 9/29.

I bought it from the Apple online store, mine is a custom build, maybe that is the difference.

When I try to qualify it doesn't recognize my s/n. I'd registered it with Apple weeks ago, the day I got it.

I called Apple today and complained to 4 different people. They all held firm and said no exceptions. They said to me "If we had to make an exception for you we'd have to make one for everyone" and I said yes that's what I think you should do. The last person did register my complaint and vaguely indicated that the only way it might change is if they get enough complaints phoned in.

I'm even more upset now that I see some people are able to get the discount pricing and some of them bought their computers even before I did. So in reality they are making exceptions for only some people and not others. :confused:

Please everyone call and complain, this is unfair. It's the principle of the thing.:mad:

bosongluon
Oct 9, 2003, 08:52 PM
FYI:

I checked the status of my up-to-date order at the order status site. It seems that the $4.00 ground shipping charge has been removed from my order. Even the second order acknowledgement I received yesterday contained the shipping charge. Anybody else have this change? Is Apple reviewing these orders?

zaphon
Oct 9, 2003, 09:13 PM
Well here's the problems as I see them.

I purchased a new 17" 1.33 PowerBook on 9/24/2003 from PowerMax in OR. I received it on 9/26/2003. I registered it with Apple on 9/30/2003 (on the website, it hung on initial install out of the box, so I never completely finished that registration). Yes I paid $2999 for this laptop (I'm not a student anymore by a long shot). This is the same price as a Dual 2Ghz G5 BTW.

Now I did go ahead and purchase the upgrade as the process worked for me (I tried it anyway as soon as I heard Panther had been announced and was suprised it worked).

But the thing that upsets me is the unfair application of rules. I would have gladly paid $129.95 if Apple would have drawn a line in the sand on Oct. 8th and said no one who purchased before that date get's it. But NO, that's not what they did. They said that those of you who ordered and received your G5's WAY before my new PowerBook get it, while I must suffer. Well excuse me, but that's just not right. My PowerBook came out AFTER the G5, cost the same as the top of the line G5, and I get the shaft? I don't think so.

So Apple better damn well get the story straight. My laptop is only 20 days old, I can send it back still. I've been tempted anyway (my enter key sticks, the fellows at the Apple Store replaced the enter key, and now it sticks less, but still sticks. Not exactly the quality I would expect in a $3000 laptop (and what sucks is I sold my 15" titanium on the arrival day of my 17")).

mxpiazza
Oct 9, 2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by bosongluon
FYI:

I checked the status of my up-to-date order at the order status site. It seems that the $4.00 ground shipping charge has been removed from my order. Even the second order acknowledgement I received yesterday contained the shipping charge. Anybody else have this change? Is Apple reviewing these orders?
the shipping charge is now off of mine as well, and it only makes sense. for 1, the 19.95 is supposed to be for shipping and handling... why the heck would we need to pay another shipping charge on top of that? and two, there were shipment options (ground, 2 day, priority overnite), and no matter what, it's supposed to be delivered on the 24th, so shipping options would most likely just confuse people. my $.02

Counterfit
Oct 9, 2003, 10:29 PM
I really don't understand what's so hard to understand about this. It's obviously a glitch in the ********** database. If you expect the first person you talk to at customer service to have answers, well, I want some of what you're smoking, I could make a killing.

MacIke
Oct 9, 2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by zaphon
Well here's the problems as I see them.

But the thing that upsets me is the unfair application of rules. I would have gladly paid $129.95 if Apple would have drawn a line in the sand on Oct. 8th and said no one who purchased before that date get's it. But NO, that's not what they did. They said that those of you who ordered and received your G5's WAY before my new PowerBook get it, while I must suffer. Well excuse me, but that's just not right. My PowerBook came out AFTER the G5, cost the same as the top of the line G5, and I get the shaft? I don't think so.

this is the problem. i am glad that at least mine has been blessed by THE STEVE. I bought the albook the day it came out. I am almost personally ready to go back to my 1Ghz TiBook. My 550 was much cooler.

I would not mind the date if it was a line in the sand. it is more of a line in the shifiting sand.

mxpiazza
Oct 9, 2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Counterfit
I really don't understand what's so hard to understand about this. It's obviously a glitch in the ********** database. If you expect the first person you talk to at customer service to have answers, well, I want some of what you're smoking, I could make a killing.

seeing as you are a macrumors 'regular', you should know better than to bash everyone in a thread... the people posting here have every right to be upset, and who are you to say they don't? maybe you're the one who needs to smoke something, chill out.

cb911
Oct 10, 2003, 12:39 AM
i just checked out the Apple Australia site and it said that my PowerBook (1.25GHz, 1x512MB RAM, which i purchased on the 26th Sept.) qualified. then i tried to purchase Panther through the online store and i can't even set up a new account! :eek:

oh well... guess i'll have to take a visit to the reseller...

cheesy
Oct 10, 2003, 12:45 AM
I sucessfully ordered the upgrade using my 17" PB G4 purchase on 9/16, so as far as I'm concerned I've paid for the $20 Up To Date upgrade. I have obtained Panther GM from other means, and even if Apple decides to cancle my order I will have absolutely no moral problem with keeping Panther.

albockiole
Oct 10, 2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by cheesy
I have obtained Panther GM from other means, and even if Apple decides to cancle my order I will have absolutely no moral problem with keeping Panther.
Cheesy, what build are you referring to when you speak of the GM? 7B85? Either way, where did you get your information?

Not to be too nosy, I'm just curious :)

cheesy
Oct 10, 2003, 04:29 AM
Cheesy, what build are you referring to when you speak of the GM? 7B85? Either way, where did you get your information?

Not to be too nosy, I'm just curious :)

Panther
Mac OS 10.3
Golden Master
Build 7B85

Unless it's not true that Build 7B85 is GM then yes, I have GM.

P.S. Installed it tonight. Mixed feelings. Slightly Windows like (side panel, etc), but some nice new features.

zync
Oct 10, 2003, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Clarkey
Everyone here knows the qualifying dates, and whether or not they actually qualify (based on Apple's guidelines -- it is stated in writing on their website, as well as on the PDF agreement) based on when you "bought" your computer. Some people are in more of gray area, and they should individually speak with Apple on clarification. Face it, most of us don't qualify, and we thought we could get away with it.

It's not going to happen.

See this document though?

Dear Apple Customer,

Your order is being processed. The following products will be shipped.

000010 M9231LL/A MAC OS X PANTHER 10.3 FULFIL/U 1 19.95 19.95

000020 SHIPPING14 EXPEDITED SHIPPING CHARGE 1 7.00 7.00

Subtotal: $ 26.95
Sales Tax: $ 1.20
Total price for your order: $ 28.15

It kinda says "This Will Happen, or Else." If they don't send it to me and I'm irked enough I may just call up some of the local news stations' consumer lawyers and hell I might even finally get version 2.0 for my 20GB iPod that was less than four months old when they suprised me on my birthday with new iPods with double the capacity and half the size (uglier design though) for the same amount of money. They can't reneg once the've sent a confirmation such as this. In the previous mail it said "Promotion Savings are subject to verification" and in the shipping confirmation that doesn't exist and it says it will be shipped and that means it will be shipped. I don't mean to sound harsh but it IS going to happen and it should happen for all of you too....Apple has had problems with BTO PowerBook SNs...I ordered mine on the 16th and there's my proof that Panther will be mine.

zync
Oct 10, 2003, 05:33 AM

Actually for kicks I looked at my tracking info from the PowerBook I received on 9/22 and found that it had shipped from Taiwan and I have a non-BTO 15" SD.....(in case you're wondering Airborne's tracking info sucks and even after I had received it I hadn't been able to check it because originally it was too soon to check and then it just said to call them)...

c0052350
Oct 10, 2003, 07:27 AM
my pb 15inch arrived today
I needed some support so i had to register with apple first did so over the phone all fine

I bought it from apple educational store
uk

my sn begins with V......
bought the pb on 1/10/03
shipped on 4/10/03
arrived today 10/10/03

went to do the update for panther entered date of purchase 4/10/03
and it went through
wait n see if it arrives

by the way i am from uk and my machine was not really bto as i chose the 15inch superdrive model no changes to the spec were made

spice weasel
Oct 10, 2003, 10:32 AM
For those who are calling Apple and getting nowhere. . .

Don't call and immediately start bitching out the person you are talking to. Instead, just tell them you want to log a formal complaint. The woman I spoke to was very nice, and even apologized for my not qualifying for the Panther upgrade. I'm sure there are plenty of bitchy customer relations people over in Cupertino, but realize that you are not going to get a Panther upgrade by calling Apple (unless you really do qualify). Just log a complaint. The more they have, the better the chances of them including the new PowerBooks.

And if they don't, I'm sure we'll see a lot of copies of Panther on the P2P networks. :D

Clarkey
Oct 10, 2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by zync
See this document though? It kinda says "This Will Happen, or Else." If they don't send it to me and I'm irked enough I may just call up some of the local news stations' consumer lawyers... Apple has had problems with BTO PowerBook SNs...I ordered mine on the 16th and there's my proof that Panther will be mine.

Listen, I could send you an email telling you you're the new King of Siam, but until I see the keys to the castle in your hand... You get the idea. ;)

From Apple's website:

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html

OTHER TERMS AND CONDITIONS
* Apple reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of sale at the Apple Store at any time.
* No Apple employee or agent has the authority to vary any of the Apple Store's policies or the terms and conditions governing any sale.

If anyone out there who doesn't qualify (based on Apple's documented guidelines) actually receives a copy of Panther at a reduced cost, I'll be impressed.

zync
Oct 10, 2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Clarkey
Listen, I could send you an email telling you you're the new King of Siam, but until I see the keys to the castle in your hand... You get the idea. ;)

From Apple's website:

* Apple reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of sale at the Apple Store at any time.
* No Apple employee or agent has the authority to vary any of the Apple Store's policies or the terms and conditions governing any sale.

If anyone out there who doesn't qualify (based on Apple's documented guidelines) actually receives a copy of Panther at a reduced cost, I'll be impressed.

I don't think you understand. The terms you listed have nothing to do with an email being sent saying that your order "WILL BE SHIPPED." The first point is based on the terms of sale....I have confirmation, it's already technically been sold, also the second point doesn't apply because an employee didn't send me that email, an Apple system sent me that email and unless it's a corporation in and of itself, it's not a person...in the event it doesn't ship, guess what....I'm sure Apple is affiliated with the BBB....and I will call and complain to the BBB....This would definitely be a case of false advertising...also they do perform a check when you sign up...errors in their website and db are not my fault...they have to honor what they promised once they send you and email saying that it will ship, you could even argue that once it tells you on the website that you can buy it then they have to give it to you for that price, it's just like retail, of course they can take it away but then it's false advertising. They probably just didn't openly tell you the new PowerBooks qualify so that some, as they did until they tried UtD, would just buy Panther outright. I didn't mean this to sound insulting, and obviously I'm not going to change your opinion but you cannot doubt that if you are correct this is definitely a case of false advertising.

MacIke
Oct 10, 2003, 02:39 PM
[i]OFrom Apple's website:

If anyone out there who doesn't qualify (based on Apple's documented guidelines) actually receives a copy of Panther at a reduced cost, I'll be impressed. [/B]

You left out part of the comments on the sale.
>>>>>>>>>>
>Apple is not responsible for typographic errors.
> All sales at the Apple Store are governed by California law, without giving effect to its conflict of law provisions.
> No Apple employee or agent has the authority to vary any of the Apple Store's policies or the terms and conditions governing any sale.
>>>>>>>>>>>

First this is not a type. This is a database and not based on an ad. A typo is instead of writing 10/8/03 they write 9/8/03. That is a typo.

As I recall CA law being a refugee from there... with a mistake like this... assuming it is a mistake... I being the consumer get the better end of the stick.

In CA when an item is rung up wrong I win, the store loses. If it is lower... I get the lower price. If it is lower on the shelf I get it even less.

Once you have the confirmation it is yours. I will be shocked if I do not get the upgrade. I have new powerbook.

On Oct 24 I will write and tell you I have it.

sanford
Oct 10, 2003, 04:51 PM
This is just one of those fence-sitting situations. I bought my new 15-inch PB on 9/16. I filled out the up-to-date order and listed my *real* purchase date; I did not fudge the date up to 10/8. Apple has authorized my credit card for the amount of the up-to-date sale and accepted my serial number. They have also sent me an order confirmation. Now, they can do one of two things: first, they can credit my account or cancel the charge, then notify me that I don't qualify for the up-to-date price and in the process they will make me an unhappy customer who having *very* recently spent a lot of money with their company does not feel it inappropriate to get a discount on the new OS X. In some or all states, I may even have legal avenues available to me; but I doubt I will pursue anything so drastic.

Or, second, they can ship me the up-to-date product as promised; and I will again be thrilled to do business with a company that accepts the inconvenience of their own errors and does not expect the customer to be put out.

sboy
Oct 10, 2003, 04:56 PM
Hello, I purchased a new 1.25 Ghz Powerbook on Sept 25th, I used the Apple Update web page to see if I qualified and I did.
I did not lie on the form but put in the correct date I purchased the system. Cost was $19.99 plus tax & shipping - $25.59 or something like that.

Peace,

J

ddkore
Oct 10, 2003, 05:41 PM
I also bought mine on the 25th of Sept. BTO 15" 1.25ghz. It was delivered on the 7th, you bet I was pissed when i read slashdot the next day.
I saw the news post today at work, and imediately tried to sign up. We have PCs at work. didn't work. Got home and decided to try again after verifing the serial #( I got it out of my shipment email at work) and using the powerbook. Guess what... it worked. If your not on the box you bought, try again with the new mac. Worked for me. Who knows why. goodluck:)

milksheikh
Oct 10, 2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by ddkore
Guess what... it worked.

Hey, what do you know -- so did mine (15" 1.25GHz BTO) on today's retry (I think I had last tried 2 days ago)! Let's see what happens...

zync
Oct 10, 2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by MacIke
You left out part of the comments on the sale.
>>>>>>>>>>
>Apple is not responsible for typographic errors.
> All sales at the Apple Store are governed by California law, without giving effect to its conflict of law provisions.
> No Apple employee or agent has the authority to vary any of the Apple Store's policies or the terms and conditions governing any sale.
>>>>>>>>>>>

First this is not a type. This is a database and not based on an ad. A typo is instead of writing 10/8/03 they write 9/8/03. That is a typo.

As I recall CA law being a refugee from there... with a mistake like this... assuming it is a mistake... I being the consumer get the better end of the stick.

In CA when an item is rung up wrong I win, the store loses. If it is lower... I get the lower price. If it is lower on the shelf I get it even less.

Once you have the confirmation it is yours. I will be shocked if I do not get the upgrade. I have new powerbook.

On Oct 24 I will write and tell you I have it.

As will I...exept I'll post it because I'm too lazy to email someone I don't know...

Who ever heard of completing a deal and then breaking it with no consequences? This is almost a legal contract and as such it could probably be argued that not sending us Panther at this point would be a breach of contract since there is no clause in the email giving them a way out.

e.melchionne
Oct 10, 2003, 06:50 PM
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again! I've been attempting to input my BTO 15" PB every couple of hours since this thread first started. The last was about 2 hours ago. Guess, what? It works now. Go get 'em guys!

Ajohn
Oct 10, 2003, 06:59 PM
Hey, everyone, just wanted to echo a couple previous posters. My multiple attempts failed a couple days ago, but I just qualified a minute ago with my BTO 15" ordered 9/27. Maybe they've relented!

zync
Oct 10, 2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Ajohn
Hey, everyone, just wanted to echo a couple previous posters. My multiple attempts failed a couple days ago, but I just qualified a minute ago with my BTO 15" ordered 9/27. Maybe they've relented!

This is great news for you guys! I'm glad!:D

albockiole
Oct 10, 2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by milksheikh
Hey, what do you know -- so did mine (15" 1.25GHz BTO) on today's retry (I think I had last tried 2 days ago)! Let's see what happens...
Cool! I gave it a shot again based on posts like this one and, lo and behold, it worked!

I received confirmation and everything, so it looks legit... well, at least as legit as others'. Anyone who's been rejected before should give it a shot.

pb1212580
Oct 10, 2003, 07:53 PM
12" BTO received Oct. 8 (ordered 09/18) still not working...

Powerbook G5
Oct 10, 2003, 08:01 PM
I've done a search but can't really find the info...

I just tried the up-to-date thing again and it actually worked this time, although I just bought Panther a few days ago. I was just wondering two things before I decide to cancel my order or not:

1. Is the "upgrade kit" just Panther retail or is it just a bare bones CD that I have to install on top of Jaguar?

2. What are the chances that Apple sees that we have been getting this "upgrade" for $20 even though we shouldn't have been qualified and pulls the plug by not giving us the $20 Panther upgrade?