Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SafariKC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Hi Gang,

This morning I, like many of you, woke up to the news of the official launch information for Panther. But felt slighted that they are extending the Terms and Conditions for the G5 owners no matter when they were purchased, yet for those of us who just spent Thousands on the new Revision of the AiBook that they are NOT willing to extend that same right.

I called the upgrade line and was told that they can't make acceptions to the Policy but that I should speak with Customer Relations and Log an Official Complaint.

When I asked for clearification on the policy they said that the reason they are doing it for the G5 is that it was "just shipped". To me... it would seem that the new AiBook have "just shipped also".

I called Customer Relations and gave them the Serial Number and Order Information for my new AiBooks and asked them to Log an official complaint. The lady who took my complaint said that it is not abnormal for Apple to change the Terms and Conditions on offers if enough people call and complain, and encouraged me to have more people call if they could.

So This message is to rally the forces of people who just purchased the new AiBooks in an attempt to get our voices heard. Please call 1-800-767-2775 and have the phone tree direct you to the Operator and ask for Customer Relations. Make it very clear that you would like your complaint to be Officially Logged and heard by Upper Management.

Thanks Gang,
KC

---edit---
There have been numerous reports that recent buyers of Aluminum PowerBooks are qualifying for Apple's Mac OS X 10.3 Up-to-Date program online, despite having ship dates prior to the specified October 8th date. (see subsequent posts)

if this does not work for you, try calling as described above to let Apple know.
--------

SpaceyGirl

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2003
I feel the same way. Granted I ordered my AlBook on Sept. 25th, I just received it yesterday. Then, of course I go to Apple.com to check out a few things regarding my notebook and tada...Panther.

I'm an Apple switcher and it dissappoints me that they cut it off like that. The AlBooks came out after the G5 was released so how does that make any sense whatsoever.

*sigh* I shall be calling Apple.

SafariKC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
That is exactly my point. Please do call. Spread the word ... the more the merrier :)

KC

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I'll happily spend $130 on a new OS to support my favorite hardware/software manufacturer. If they give it away to everyone who purchased new hardware in the last few monhts, they loose a lot of valuable revenue.

The G5 deal is probably to make up for the extensive delay those poor guys have had. It's been what, over a quarter of a year for those boxes to arrive? My new 17PB arrived a week later.

q1232

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
cleveland
Update successful

I just followed the link on the up-to-date page and entered my s/n for my alpowerbook I received last week and it worked. Even though the $20 is for "shipping" it still charges me $4.50 for normal shipping. When you enter the s/n omit the " - "

nacl99

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2003
AZ
it worked for me too

I went in and did the same thing.

My Al book, purchased SEPT 17. just typed that in and the sn, and it said I qualified...

This has to be on-purpose... Maybe they don't want to piss us off, but they don't want everyone doing it?

Also did anyone notice the message about qualifying that said "you purchase a mac after Oct. 8th that didn't come with Panther" can I take this to mean that systems might ship with panther before Oct. 24? It could also be away of saying it has to be purchased between the 8th and the 24th...who knows.

minibookhappy

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2003
good to see it works...but again...did you put SEPT 17 as your purchase date or did you "fake " an oct 8?

thanks

minibookhappy

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2003
got an order confirmation myself.
And called to file acomplaint too...you never know.
Let's keep this thread alive and check the developments.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
I ordered my first ever Mac, 12" Powerbook, on the 30th September and got confirmation that it shipped today.

I wonder what the chances of it coming with Panther are?

Good to hear some people having luck getting the upgrade, does anyone know if there's any problem getting it if you bought the Powerbook with an Educational discount? I heard a rumour that the upgrade wasn't available (although obviously Panther is way cheaper with the discount).

SafariKC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Humm...

I ordered mine online.. and it still asks what store and city and state. But can't find my Serial Number.. So i've been unable to use the online thing.

Anyone else buy it online? If so, what did you use for Store/City/State

KC

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
its not coming with panther if it shipped today. panther is beign released in two and a half weeks yoru machien will coem with jaguar

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
its not coming with panther if it shipped today. panther is beign released in two and a half weeks yoru machien will coem with jaguar

What about this posted in another thread:

15" Coming with a new cat

Just rang Apple to chase my new PB (after 5 e-mails with different expected ship dates in as many days)

They say it will leave Taiwan at the end of this week or the beginning of next and ship with Panther!!!

WoooHoooooo

Probably means it won't actually reach me until 24/10 but maybe I'll get a new Cat early!!!

beerguy

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
Originally posted by SafariKC
Humm...

I ordered mine online.. and it still asks what store and city and state. But can't find my Serial Number.. So i've been unable to use the online thing.

/usr/sbin/system_profiler | grep "Customer serial number:"

Remove the dash when entering it online

albockiole

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
I posted something similar in the "Panther Announcement" thread, so I won't double-post exactly...

But basically, the online form says it can't find the serial number for my 12" PB ordered on Sept. 25 from the Apple Online Store. It's been registered, so they should have the number under my name. The only other thing I can think of is that I ordered it from the Education store... has anyone else who's been able to get the online UTD form to work ordered their PB through the Education store?

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Originally posted by beerguy
/usr/sbin/system_profiler | grep "Customer serial number:"

Remove the dash when entering it online
Or just go to "About This Mac", then click on the OS version, it will show the build number of the OS. Click again and it shows the serial number. OR, open up Apple System Profiler and it's shown just above the RAM, in the Hardware Overview section.

mxpiazza

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
cleveland, oh
I purchased my new 12" with superdrive from the Apple Store Easton in Columbus on Thursday, October 2nd. I followed the link for the up-to-date program that asked if I bought it from the Apple Online Store. On the form, I put in the actual date of purchase (10/2) and my serial number (without the dash). I put that I purchased it from the Apple Store Easton, and my order qualified. I can't really explain it, but after i saw this page 2 style, i decided to try it. it would have only cost me $70 EDU, but i'd much rather pay $25. i'm quite happy.

edit: and for the record, i bought my computer EDU, so it has nothing to do with that.

beerguy

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
Originally posted by Counterfit
Or just go to "About This Mac", then click on the OS version, it will show the build number of the OS. Click again and it shows the serial number. OR, open up Apple System Profiler and it's shown just above the RAM, in the Hardware Overview section.

Correct. I used that method to get the serial of my iMac at home (I'm at work) via ssh.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Originally posted by SafariKC
Humm...

I ordered mine online.. and it still asks what store and city and state. But can't find my Serial Number.. KC

Your serial number is in System Profiler. Under the "Apple" menu, select "About This Mac" and then click on the "More Info" button. Your serial number will be listed under Harware Profile.

AaRdVarK

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
got in on my new 12"...

and got charged $4 shipping as well. Oh well, $24 is better than $130.

albockiole

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by mxpiazza
I purchased my new 12" with superdrive from the Apple Store Easton in Columbus on Thursday, October 2nd. I followed the link for the up-to-date program that asked if I bought it from the Apple Online Store. On the form, I put in the actual date of purchase (10/2) and my serial number (without the dash). I put that I purchased it from the Apple Store Easton, and my order qualified. I can't really explain it, but after i saw this page 2 style, i decided to try it. it would have only cost me $70 EDU, but i'd much rather pay $25. i'm quite happy.

edit: and for the record, i bought my computer EDU, so it has nothing to do with that.

Amazing... that's exactly what I did (minus the particulars about the store - I bought mine online), and it's no go for me.

SafariKC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by Flowbee
Your serial number is in System Profiler. Under the "Apple" menu, select "About This Mac" and then click on the "More Info" button. Your serial number will be listed under Harware Profile.

I'm well aware of that. :) It's not finding it in the Database. But it's also asking me for a City and State and Store name... even though i bought it online at the apple store.

So i'm not sure what to put in those fields. So that could be causeing the issue. *Shrug*

KC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.