PDA

View Full Version : Thin MacBook Laptop Concept Images

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jan 5, 2008, 08:10 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

With Macworld approaching, many concept designs are circulating to demonstrate how Apple might design the upcoming "thin" notebook. Our multitouch article (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/31/apple-sub-notebook-hints-external-optical-drive-multitouch-trackpad/) generated a long discussion (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/31/apple-sub-notebook-hints-external-optical-drive-multitouch-trackpad/) with a number of unofficial mockups posted. The most attractive, perhaps, is this image posted by kontheur (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4699816&postcount=520):

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/01/05/macbook_nano_300.jpg

This image shows a mockup of what a thin MacBook might look like complete with a large area for a multi-touch trackpad.

An image that has already seen wide circulation is this one posted by greenrabbit (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4680684&postcount=83) which preserves the MacBook Pro's aluminum casing:

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/01/05/maifjaabk_300.jpg

Both images introduce a wide touchpad which is derived from an earlier Apple patent. In 2006, Apple described implementing a wide trackpad and provided the following rendition:

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/01/05/touchpad_300.png

Apple describes its functionality as follows:
"the wide touchpad may be a cursor control device having the capabilities of conventional computer mouse devices, such as the ability to point, drag, tap and double tap objects on a graphical user interface, as well as more general purposes such as scrolling, panning, zooming, and rotating images on display screen."
Other design concepts that have been circulating include:

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/01/05/dock_125.png
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/macbooktouch/)
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/01/05/popular_125.png
(http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/upgrade/4243000.html?page=1)
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/01/05/mbpro_125.png
(http://www.applesfera.com/2007/12/30-el-nuevo-macbook-pro-imaginado-por-un-lector)

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/05/thin-macbook-laptop-concept-images/)

MacNut
Jan 5, 2008, 08:14 PM
Looks like it would break easily. Any idea on weight.

P-Worm
Jan 5, 2008, 08:15 PM
I don't know what I think about a multitouch trackpad. With that said, I hate trackpads in general.

P-Worm

MacNut
Jan 5, 2008, 08:17 PM
A trackpad that long does seem pointless. How are you supposed to type on it.

eric55lv
Jan 5, 2008, 08:18 PM
i like the second concept its ok

arn
Jan 5, 2008, 08:19 PM
A trackpad that long does seem pointless. How are you supposed to type on it.

the patent went into detail about how it would ignore palm contact

arn

Muzzway
Jan 5, 2008, 08:20 PM
The Popular Mechanics mockup, erm, now that's odd (and not going to happen).

iDAG
Jan 5, 2008, 08:21 PM
I love how people always try to make up what things that Apple is going to introduce look like. This is why Apple is great. They come up with way better ideas that none of us could ever think of and we love them. :D

MacNut

arnI would have to see a demo before being sold on it.

MLeepson
Three of the images have long track pads. The issue with a long track pad is that there is nowhere to rest your hands. Most people rest their hands on the sides of the noteboook, and with a long track pad there would too much accidental input. I don't think Apple will be going with a lock track pad because of that. I guess we'll have to see what happens on Jan. 15.

Edit - Just saw arn's post. I'm going to take a look at the patent, I'm curious to see how that would happen.

poppe
Jan 5, 2008, 08:22 PM
Is the first image see through? Towards the top left corner? And it looks like a part of the bed pattern might be seen through it?

MarkMS
Jan 5, 2008, 08:23 PM
I like those last few images, but doubt we'll see anything like that on the 15th.

Might be all the gloss that's attracting me to them.

MattJessop
Jan 5, 2008, 08:24 PM
I kind of like the idea about the trackpad, but it does have some niggling issues. If its much wider than the current trackpads then wont it be somewhat inconsistent? The current trackpads resemble the screensize/aspect ratio vaguely. The wider one would be much wider. Surely this would mean the x-axis would be much less sensitive than the y-axis? This could possibly confuse a lot of people when you use it for the first time.

But still, we'll have to wait and see. Apple have something of a knack for pulling off stunts that work well like this :D I'll wait till I've used one to judge it.

4God
Jan 5, 2008, 08:24 PM
I could see the Applesfera one happening. You'd have to lose the standard hardware keyboard though because you wouldn't be able to type on it with that trackpad. I think the trackpad could be that wide but also deeper (towards the screen) with a keyboard that shows up in the trackpad and that's how you type. Similar to the iPhone, the keyboard would show up in the trackpad only when needed.

;)

nagromme
Jan 5, 2008, 08:25 PM
So, smaller in all 3 dimensions than current models? I say just look at your current Apple laptop, and then back off about 10 feet. Look at how small it is now!

HALTAH
Jan 5, 2008, 08:25 PM
Wouldn't it be so incredible if you were able to write with a stylus of some sort across a wide trackpad!!!

Osprey
Jan 5, 2008, 08:26 PM
I actually really like the MacBook Plus Tablet Laptop one. I think it might just work.

Aniej
Jan 5, 2008, 08:27 PM
Wouldn't it be so incredible if you were able to write with a stylus of some sort across a wide trackpad!!!

no not really. i mean jobs expressed so much love for the stylus when launching the iphone...

iheartcanada
Jan 5, 2008, 08:28 PM
Is the first image see through? Towards the top left corner? And it looks like a part of the bed pattern might be seen through it?

I really don't think they are making a transparent Macbook, but that would be pretty sweet. =D

RedDragon870503
Jan 5, 2008, 08:29 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

Wait a second!

These weren't taken in an elevator.

Fake.

MacFly123
Jan 5, 2008, 08:29 PM
I would have to see a demo before being sold on it.

Demo what??? Lol, you put your hands down and type like you do on any laptop right now and it ignores your palms resting on it. Not too complicated. :rolleyes:

arn
Jan 5, 2008, 08:30 PM
Edit - Just saw arn's post. I'm going to take a look at the patent, I'm curious to see how that would happen.

Here's the patent:

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=%22wide+touchpad%22&OS=%22wide+touchpad%22&RS=%22wide+touchpad%22

arn

MLeepson
Jan 5, 2008, 08:36 PM

arn

I just read the patent summary (well, part of it) linked from MR to macsimumnews.com and I'm convinced that an extra wide track pad could be used. The only issue I see now, is getting it to blend in to the casing a "regular" track pad. I don't think a long gray strip will be that aesthetically pleasing.

Edit - I just searched MR and found it. Thanks though. :)

CWallace
Jan 5, 2008, 08:36 PM
I have to say none of those laptop concepts floats my boat. :(

ap9
Jan 5, 2008, 08:37 PM
I can't imagine the new keyboard won't be similar to what FingerWorks (http://www.fingerworks.com/) used to offer.

Schtumple
Jan 5, 2008, 08:39 PM
really love that first image, i could see disposable income going on that :p

MrCrowbar
Jan 5, 2008, 08:41 PM
I could see the Applesfera one happening. You'd have to lose the standard hardware keyboard though because you wouldn't be able to type on it with that trackpad. I think the trackpad could be that wide but also deeper (towards the screen) with a keyboard that shows up in the trackpad and that's how you type. Similar to the iPhone, the keyboard would show up in the trackpad only when needed.

I actually like that; A laptop with no keys. You would have to get rid of the trackpad button though. I'm pretty sure a multitouch pad is less thick than a real keyboard. You couldn't really type fast on it, but lots of designers can't touch type anyway <ducking bullets here>. I like the sheer concept of showing content on the main screen and control elements on the big trackpad. Dock, menu bar, toolbars, widgets could go in the trackpad. A simple gesture could switch to pointing mode so you can use the trackpad to point on something on the content screen.

;)[/QUOTE]

Jan 5, 2008, 08:43 PM
What do you suppose the thing all the way to the left in the first picture is?

pkoch1
Jan 5, 2008, 08:44 PM
The Popular Mechanics mockup: now that's odd (and not going to happen).

Yeah. It seems so un-apple. Its not widescreen, you'd have to carry around that gigantic superdrive add-on thing, the keyboard just looks kinda ugly and 90s. I just can't see apple ever doing anything like that.

EDIT: and is that trackpad on the wrong side of the keyboard?

Lepton
Jan 5, 2008, 08:44 PM
Take a small saw. Saw along the hinge to separate the display and keyboard halves. Throw away the keyboard half. Add multi-touch to the screen. Optionally add the current thin wireless keyboard. Optionally add a wireless Mighty Mouse. Now you're thinking _different_!

!¡ V ¡!
Jan 5, 2008, 08:45 PM
At present the trackpad is a visible area on the notebook, what if the trackpad existed however it was either incorporated into the composite that was the notebook would have a clean look. Plus no button, just use multi-touch for gestures.

Not sure if the keyboard will be similar to the iPhone/iTouch since there is no tactile feedback. :)

Jan 5, 2008, 08:47 PM
I actually like that; A laptop with no keys. You would have to get rid of the trackpad button though. I'm pretty sure a multitouch pad is less thick than a real keyboard. You couldn't really type fast on it, but lots of designers can't touch type anyway <ducking bullets here>. I like the sheer concept of showing content on the main screen and control elements on the big trackpad. Dock, menu bar, toolbars, widgets could go in the trackpad. A simple gesture could switch to pointing mode so you can use the trackpad to point on something on the content screen.

;)[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't that require and OLED type screen (like the Optimus) to display the keys etc?

!¡ V ¡!
Jan 5, 2008, 08:48 PM

;)[/QUOTE]

Video Mirroring on a trackpad, expensive, pointless and redundant. If you are going to do that might as well have a touch-screen.

pkoch1
Jan 5, 2008, 08:49 PM

i don't know if its part of the mockup...just a spare external keyboard maybe?

melchior
Jan 5, 2008, 08:50 PM
Mockups are mockups, but I just thought I would bring Arn's aesthetic tastes into question, no offense, of course. :D

The most attractive by kontheur is I think quite a poor showing, though the showings of the 2 at the end of the article may be unlikely due to cost in implementation, I think they are by far the most attractive both in terms of apparent features and stylised design. I would particularly like the 'macbook touch' and 'keyboard docking station' designs for aesthetics and the popular mechanics for overall functionality. Watch the video, it's cool. Just the touch pad above the keyboard is not quite right and it should be black anodised aluminium, if you were asking my opinion.

Maybe Arn meant kontheur's showing was 'the most likely' as it probably is, without a significant design change to the whole line-up.

Just my two cents worth. Australian cents, not worth as much as euro of US cents... :p

Mac OS X Ocelot
Jan 5, 2008, 08:51 PM
Ultraportables should have a touch screen so that the trackpad isn't necessary. Trackpads are annoying and anyone that wants functionality uses a laptop sized mouse. Touch screen for mouse-replacement but not keyboard replacement would be better than either trackpad or mouse.

Kevin83165
Jan 5, 2008, 08:52 PM
Touch screen would be awesome I like it

Sharky II
None of these look nice enough, or something apple would come out with, imnsho

MrCrowbar
At present the trackpad is a visible area on the notebook, what if the trackpad existed however it was either incorporated into the composite that was the notebook would have a clean look. Plus no button, just use multi-touch for gestures.

Not sure if the keyboard will be similar to the iPhone/iTouch since there is no tactile feedback. :)

That actually is not that far fetched. You wouldn't see the trackpad at all. A super wide trackpad would also be welcomed by everyone who uses extended desktop. Also nice for accurate horizontal scrolling in every app that has a timeline (audi/video editing) or for fast action cover flow usage (draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag and drop). Apple likes eliminating clutter. This would make the trackpad disappear totally.

JackRipper
Jan 5, 2008, 08:53 PM
I've been expecting this since the iPhone was introduced.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3330350&postcount=11

ipearx
Jan 5, 2008, 08:54 PM
The current aluminium design has been around for years and years now, surely it's time for a change? Maybe a merging of the Macbook and macbook pro ranges?

The recently released keyboards and imac design must indicate the style direction apple is heading. At the very least the new laptops will have a new keyboard.

Eidorian
Jan 5, 2008, 08:54 PM
Nothing new to MacRumors.

Anyone who gets an image rushes to post first. :p

4God
Jan 5, 2008, 08:57 PM
Video Mirroring on a trackpad, expensive, pointless and redundant. If you are going to do that might as well have a touch-screen.

Really? I was thinking it would be a great alternative to mucking up your workspace screen with fingerprints, saving that for your multi-touch trackpad.

4God
Jan 5, 2008, 09:01 PM
Wouldn't that require and OLED type screen (like the Optimus) to display the keys etc?

Nope, they would show up on the trackpad and be used like a touch screen surface similar to the iPhone.

!¡ V ¡!
Jan 5, 2008, 09:03 PM
Really? I was thinking it would be a great alternative to mucking up your workspace screen with fingerprints, saving that for your multi-touch trackpad.

Does not seem to bother the iPhone/iTouch users. Sure smudges on the screen, however with an ultra-portable you are trying to eliminate weight, size, and power consumption.

Might seem functional, however in day-to-day use people will ditch it and get an external mouse since you will have to move your head between two screens.

This will drain a lot of power even if it implemented power management. Not going to happen.

4God
Jan 5, 2008, 09:05 PM
Does not seem to bother the iPhone/iTouch users. Sure smudges on the screen, however with an ultra-portable you are trying to eliminate weight, size, and power consumption.

Might seem functional, however in day-to-day use people will ditch it and get an external mouse since you will have to move your head between two screens.

This will drain a lot of power even if it implemented power management. Not going to happen.

I'm sure you're right, just throwing some creative vision out there. ;)

Oh and BTW, I own an iPhone but I don't edit video on it like I do my iMac or Macbook.

wesk702
Jan 5, 2008, 09:07 PM
Can't see any good reason for a big trackpad if the idea is just for it to be a regular trackpad or multitouch.
Hopefully they come up with something useful

pjarvi
Jan 5, 2008, 09:10 PM
The Popular Mechanics concept is pretty neat, although I don't like the location they place the trackpad. I think it would be possible to get rid of the trackpad button though. Instead of wasting space with a physical button, just use taps of the pad to indicate button clicks. Kind of like how the trackpads on Dell notebooks have designated areas you can slide your finger to scroll vertival/horizontal, have an area designated for button clicks.

!¡ V ¡!
Wouldn't that require and OLED type screen (like the Optimus) to display the keys etc?[/QUOTE]

There is a good possibility that the screen will do away with LED backlit screen and just jump to OLED, considering it uses less power, higher brightness/contrast ratio, lighter, thinner and is currently available in the desired size the ultra-notebook is going to occupy.

I say:

1. OLED display (Sony already incorporates them)
2. Flash drive (16GB min/ 32GB max options)
3. Led lit keyboard (consumer have been asking about this since the 12" PB)
4. Multi-Touch.
5. Wireless across the board connectivity (a given).
6. OS 10.5 (mobile edition, similar to iPhone).
7. Black composite in colour (to relate to the iPhone/iTouch).
8. Price tag $200 more than the top end MB (Black).

MrCrowbar
Well, then I place my bet on the invisible trackpad in the palmrest then. Makes sense for 2 finger zooming (with both hands) and cover flow. The trackpad button will look odd tho... oh well, 9 days, 4 hours to go :cool:

MarlboroLite
Jan 5, 2008, 09:13 PM
What exactly is wrong with the current trackpad that needs to be fixed? :confused:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Those massive trackpads look hideous!

WildPalms
Jan 5, 2008, 09:14 PM
I really don't think they are making a transparent Macbook, but that would be pretty sweet. =D

No it wouldnt. Try writing an essay on your window...

!¡ V ¡!
Jan 5, 2008, 09:18 PM
What exactly is wrong with the current trackpad that needs to be fixed? :confused:

Having several :apple: notebooks over the past 10 years, I will have to say that my PowerBook G3 Pismo had the best trackpad to date. Yet they changed all that with the generations. Even my present MPB trackpad feels awkward.

Popeye206
Jan 5, 2008, 09:19 PM
I hope none of these concepts are close to the reality! Sorry to the originators, but these are boring and something I would expect from HP or Dell. Yuck!

!¡ V ¡!
Jan 5, 2008, 09:20 PM
No it wouldnt. Try writing an essay on your window...

That is Sci-Fi talk, though if you were to supply 100% power the screen has a solid background.

Nah it only looks good in movies, not practical at all. Consider privacy void at this point. :)

!¡ V ¡!
Jan 5, 2008, 09:21 PM
I hope none of these concepts are close to the reality! Sorry to the originators, but these are boring and something I would expect from HP or Dell. Yuck!

There were the other 89 designers concepts presently working at Dell Computers. :D

Undecided
Jan 5, 2008, 09:28 PM
For the record, the design where the Mac breaks up into pieces, such as the keyboard with the trackpad above it, is atrocious. There's no way that's what Apple would come up with.

In any case, a laptop slimmer because it does away with an optical drive is nothing special, even if it has a giant trackpad. Basically, a duo. I think Apple would pass on such a product.

I'm holding out for the two hinged 9" touchscreens, that you open like a book, and can then turn on one side so one screen becomes a virtual keyboard/trackpad (like the iPhone screen) and the other displays the desktop/applications. (Imagine the Macbook screen split in half.) Bonus points if you can open them up all the way around and have one screen facing you and the other facing away, for reading books. (Or, better yet, don't fold it all the way back, and show facing pages.)

twoodcc
Jan 5, 2008, 09:37 PM
some of those look pretty good to me. looking forward to seeing Steve show it to us

MrCrowbar
Jan 5, 2008, 09:43 PM
I'm holding out for the two hinged 9" touchscreens, that you open like a book, and can then turn on one side so one screen becomes a virtual keyboard/trackpad (like the iPhone screen) and the other displays the desktop/applications. (Imagine the Macbook screen split in half.) Bonus points if you can open them up all the way around and have one screen facing you and the other facing away, for reading books. (Or, better yet, don't fold it all the way back, and show facing pages.)

That's what I was talking about earlier. You really could put content on one screen and the controls on the other. Would be kinda not intuitive though so 2 full blown touchscreens are more likely. Then again, one large screen is better than 2 tiny ones, right? Bam, tablet!

Face it, we have no idea what to expect from the keynote. I for one will check the text feed here and probably bite a piece of wood till the end.

MLeepson
Jan 5, 2008, 09:49 PM
What about a one piece, (no keyboard or track pad) Multi-Touch notebook with an accelerometer so it can be used vertically or horizontally.

It just popped in my mind...

Merkuryy
Jan 5, 2008, 10:12 PM
the track pad of my MBP is really enough, I don't think what the suppose for such wider track pad(But it's beautiful anyway). The height is amazing though.

And I think we will see a SDD+HD for data saving (like Sony)

Badandy
Jan 5, 2008, 10:50 PM
What about a one piece, (no keyboard or track pad) Multi-Touch notebook with an accelerometer so it can be used vertically or horizontally.

aka Tablet

I'd buy. I've been lusting after tablets for a long time now, but have never gotten one because I think they've all being inelegant solutions to what I think could be a great product. And Apple, known for design and intuitive use, is just the company to break it mainstream.

luminosity
Jan 5, 2008, 10:58 PM
You know, all the talk about a long trackpad button supposedly interfering in typing bugs me, because typing with any part of your hands on the laptop is bad ergonomics. The vast majority of people do it, but that doesn't make it healthy.

Now, I don't really believe that image is genuine, but if it was, the long button wouldn't be any kind of problem. Maybe it would get a few more people typing ergnomically.

vincenzo7
Jan 5, 2008, 11:08 PM
You know, all the talk about a long trackpad button supposedly interfering in typing bugs me, because typing with any part of your hands on the laptop is bad ergonomics. The vast majority of people do it, but that doesn't make it healthy.

Now, I don't really believe that image is genuine, but if it was, the long button wouldn't be any kind of problem. Maybe it would get a few more people typing ergnomically.

one thing i thought of when i first saw that was "it being big, would people accidentally hit it more often"

luminosity
Jan 5, 2008, 11:13 PM
one thing i thought of when i first saw that was "it being big, would people accidentally hit it more often"

How's that?

Full of Win
Jan 5, 2008, 11:40 PM
Image 1 is what the next MacBook (not pro) will look like.

As for Multi-Touch, it only becomes effective when there is an LCD behind it.

aswitcher
Jan 5, 2008, 11:47 PM

What if they where an iPod touch

coffey7
Jan 5, 2008, 11:57 PM
I would be happy with just a smaller lighter macbook.

melchior
Jan 5, 2008, 11:59 PM
I would be happy with just a smaller lighter macbook.

I too would be happy with this if it had a mobile penryn processor.

Alternatively I would be blown away by a proper touch system. Doesn't matter what cpu they give it! :D

Either and I'll be happy =)

MrCrowbar
Jan 6, 2008, 12:09 AM

"Do a shake gesture to erase everything" :-)
Oops, forget that, those are my secret plans for a glorified etch-a-scetch :D

A lot of people want a Mac tablet but I don't think it will be that useful using standard OSX. You can't use standard applications on a touch screen, Windows failed miserably at this. Apple does not like the stylus (neither do I) so it would be painful to use you stubby fingers to hit a small toolbar button. THe iPhone has the magnifying glass thing which works great for text selection but would annoying for normal desktop apps.

wizard
Jan 6, 2008, 12:19 AM
Looks like it would break easily. Any idea on weight.
Yeah this is certainly the case and is another reason why I don't think the ultra portable is really what consumers want in a small device. I looked recently at SONY's little "laptop" PC at the CompUSA fire sale and frankly the whole unit was flimsy. The screen assembly was extremely thing and did not look very durable at all.

Tablets are the way to go with respect to very small and thin devices. It just makes for a more rigid and durable device.

Dave

da2005pizimp
Jan 6, 2008, 12:31 AM
this looks very fragile, not liking it.

chubad
Jan 6, 2008, 12:33 AM
I had something a bit more radical in mind. :apple:

Lone Deranger
Jan 6, 2008, 12:36 AM
An implementation where the keyboard is omitted and replaced by a digital equivalent displayed and controlled on a touch screen sounds rather unpractical.
Without actually being able to feel the layout of a physical keyboard beneath your fingers, there is no way you could type properly while looking away from the keys at other areas of the screen (to check if you're not making any typos for example). You'd constantly have to be looking at your fingers to see if they line up correctly. And this raises another problem.
The average posture of a person using a laptop (or any keyboard for that matter) places the users eyes at quite a bit of angle away from the plane of the keyboard.
Considering the limitations of small scale LCD screens in regards to viewing angles, looking at such screens under strong angles does no favors for their legibility.

Touch keyboards make sense for tiny consumer devices such as iPhones and iPods, but not for a laptop where productivity (read: text input) is likely to be vital.

CJRhoades
Jan 6, 2008, 12:37 AM
How about a 24-karat gold plated macbook pro?
Turns out, they actually make em. Some company will hook u up for about $2500 bucks... (you provide the notebook)

melchior
Jan 6, 2008, 12:44 AM
First of all, Simon Posford is a god amongst men.

Moving on however, I too felt strongly about the need for tactile feedback. I am quite picky about keyboards and I must say I am not particularly fond of the MB keyboard, though I do like the MBP.

My opinion was changed however when I began using the iphone. It is the technology applied in predictive text input that does it for me. I would be happy to use a multi-touch screen as a keyboard. I realised I don't need tactile feedback. I think I could actually type faster using the predictive text, I wish Leo had it. I think it will mean less typing mistakes.

I am a proponent of the multi-touch keyboard. However I believe it is really only functional if you are touch-typer. It would be a hell of a way to learn to type as your first keyboard...

An implementation where the keyboard is omitted and replaced by a digital equivalent displayed and controlled on a touch screen sounds rather unpractical.
Without actually being able to feel the layout of a physical keyboard beneath your fingers, there is no way you could type properly while looking away from the keys at other areas of the screen (to check if you're not making any typos for example). You'd constantly have to be looking at your fingers to see if they line up correctly. And this raises another problem.
The average posture of a person using a laptop (or any keyboard for that matter) places the users eyes at quite a bit of angle away from the plane of the keyboard.
Considering the limitations of small scale LCD screens in regards to viewing angles, looking at such screens under strong angles does no favors for their legibility.

Touch keyboards make sense for tiny consumer devices such as iPhones and iPods, but not for a laptop where productivity (read: text input) is likely to be vital.

airjuggernaut
Jan 6, 2008, 12:59 AM
As long as the video card isn't better then the Macbook's, this is one Macworld I wont care about :D

Lone Deranger
Jan 6, 2008, 01:01 AM
First of all, Simon Posford is a god amongst men.

Hahaha.... Yes! Yes he is indeed! "There is an area of the mind that could be called unsane, beyond sanity, and yet not insane." :D

Moving on however, I too felt strongly about the need for tactile feedback. I am quite picky about keyboards and I must say I am not particularly fond of the MB keyboard, though I do like the MBP.

My opinion was changed however when I began using the iphone. It is the technology applied in predictive text input that does it for me. I would be happy to use a multi-touch screen as a keyboard. I realised I don't need tactile feedback. I think I could actually type faster using the predictive text, I wish Leo had it. I think it will mean less typing mistakes.

I am a proponent of the multi-touch keyboard. However I believe it is really only functional if you are touch-typer. It would be a hell of a way to learn to type as your first keyboard...

Yes, one or two digit typing on an iPhone is pretty good. I'm just not convinced that this paradigm would extend very well into a situation where you have 10 fingers trying to find keys that aren't physically there. I prefer to look elsewhere than the keyboard when I type. I don't think I could do that without feeling keys at my fingers. Though I'm happy to leave it up to Apple to prove me wrong. :)

imacdaddy
Jan 6, 2008, 01:07 AM
gosh...is April fools happening earlier again this year? This is getting tiresome.

Don't kids nowadays have any homework/studying to do? Your photoshop skills need a little work.

Seriously, if Apple were to implement such a large track/touch pad, I doubt very much they would put it where your palms rest. That would mean the pad sensor would need to differentiate a touch input action from resting palms at all times. Wouldn't this drain battery life? If they do come out with such a large pad, would it make more sense to instead move all the keys down to the bottom edge (like the aluminum keyboard) and place the pad above the function/numeric keys. I know it's something we're not use to and out of the norm today, but this is Apple...they think different.

(L)
Jan 6, 2008, 01:33 AM
...when you think about it for half a second, a click-input bar as long as a trackpad would be dysfunctional and downright unnecessary, so we won't be seeing that. That should immediately strike one as just plain wrong.

Now, the next question - multitouch trackpads don't need to be really wide, do they? What do you imagine being able to do with more space that you couldn't already do with the size of previous trackpads? Of course, since you can't look at both that and the screen at the same time, unless the screen indicates where your fingers are all the time, you can't do very precise work. We don't scroll horizontally nearly as much as vertically. Why in the world do people want it freakishly wide? The patent is one thing - form following function is another.

So basically, unless the screen itself is multitouch or indicates where your fingers are (which would be tacky), a trackpad with multitouch won't be all that different from what we have already, except being able to pinch/zoom and such. Multitouch won't be the hottest thing about the ultra-portable unless it's a tablet.

headset
Jan 6, 2008, 01:35 AM
So I had this idea, I hope this hasn't already been said. I really wanted to do a mock up but was too lazy.

Anyway, I really think the new laptop will, instead of a trackpad, have an iPod/iphone dock. There would be a MacBook pro mini that accepts an iPhone and a MacBook mini that takes the touch. The gun metal on the touch would blend in with the gun metal on the laptop. You could use the iPhone as a modem. You could undock them and use them as media remotes. You could do all kinds of multitouch gestures. It would take advantage of that long rumored "home on my iPod" thing where you could sync your home folder to your iPod, dock with your laptop and all your settings and stuff would be there.

The more I think about it the more I convince myself of it. I mean, why is the touch so thin. Why not make a 160 gb touch. Because it would be too thick for the new MacBook.

Anyway, just my $.02, what do you think?

Badandy
Jan 6, 2008, 01:41 AM
So I had this idea, I hope this hasn't already been said. I really wanted to do a mock up but was too lazy.

Anyway, I really think the new laptop will, instead of a trackpad, have an iPod/iphone dock. There would be a MacBook pro mini that accepts an iPhone and a MacBook mini that takes the touch. The gun metal on the touch would blend in with the gun metal on the laptop. You could use the iPhone as a modem. You could undock them and use them as media remotes. You could do all kinds of multitouch gestures. It would take advantage of that long rumored "home on my iPod" thing where you could sync your home folder to your iPod, dock with your laptop and all your settings and stuff would be there.

The more I think about it the more I convince myself of it. I mean, why is the touch so thin. Why not make a 160 gb touch. Because it would be too thick for the new MacBook.

I think the chances of this happening is about 0%, BUT I think it is a pretty cool idea. Very interesting actually, but the reality is it probably won't happen.

Here's what I think would be cool and IS practical.

You have a slightly enlarged trackpad that accommodates a lot of gestures. Instead of apple+c to copy you just swipe a "C" quickly on the trackpad. This could be used in a lot of different ways I think and it might be cool. I just want to know what Jeff Han would think of if you gave him a 3 inch by 3 inch multi-touch surface with the goal of improving laptop usability, speed, and productivity. O man...

Full of Win
Jan 6, 2008, 01:49 AM
How about a 24-karat gold plated macbook pro?
Turns out, they actually make em. Some company will hook u up for about $2500 bucks... (you provide the notebook)

That is the JZ bling version :(

Badandy
Jan 6, 2008, 01:52 AM
That is the JZ bling version :(

I came into this thread with the intention of getting away from all the ignorant people in the other thread saying Jay-Z wasn't a talented artist.

But in response, he'd have his encrusted with platinum.

Macinposh
Jan 6, 2008, 02:16 AM

It should read like this:

What exactly is wrong with the current tyrannic regime that needs to be fixed? :confused:

It´s impossible to go to the moon!!

Nooo!!! Let´s stay here in the trees, it´s safe here!!!

I wont go to the dry land, I like it here in the sea,
if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Things evolve.

But what I find intresting is what kind of benefits will it add?

In some programs,say iPhoto it might be helpfull in resising images,but what about in the normal OS? What about pro apps like Photoshop or FCP?
Are they gonna be usefull at all or evolve the programs to a new direction?
Or is the trackpad gonna develope a full body carpal tunnel syndrome for the user?
Intresting.

iJesus
Jan 6, 2008, 02:41 AM
... Here's a clue for you...

... Think cellphone ;-)

Not getting it?

take your iPhone, put it in landscape, make the screen 4x bigger= 12"?
now, were not going to mess with widescreen, we'll do fullscreen.
At a boy, now you have a nice 12" fullscreen multitouch laptop where the keyboard is proportionate to the screen so that the actual workspace is in a widescreen format and the touch keyboard takes up the rest of the space of the fullscreen surface.

"oh hey?! Need some tactile response? Slide the top half of your screen forward and tilt the multitouch display up!"

Voilà! A REAL keyboard with a REAL trackpad on top!

Don't get it yet?
I'll make a mockup drawing tommorrow when I get up :-P

(posted on my iPhone, reason for the runon sentences :-P

bbrosemer
Jan 6, 2008, 02:46 AM
Did we not learn from the iphone that whatever we can think of generally will not end up being as good as the real product. Leaving us to say I didn't know I needed that but now I love it. The iPhone does what many other phones cant do and that just is work simply and elegantly. Some may say the ability for third party apps is limited right now but that will come soon enough, just look at it this way... Verizon may get good service but they have some of the worst software interfaces I have ever used on a phone. This MacUltra Light will be smaller, prettier, more useful, and more advanced then any other consumer device we have seen. If it can not do all of this straight out of MacWorld give it a few revisions and everyone will want one to complete their Mac line-up.

Masquerade
Jan 6, 2008, 03:53 AM
I love how people always try to make up what things that Apple is going to introduce look like. This is why Apple is great. They come up with way better ideas that none of us could ever think of and we love them. :D

ibooks gets a handle in 1999 and a white body in 2001; a magsafi connector at 2005.
powerbook gets titanium body in 2000, then in 2003 aluminium and the magsafi connection somewhere too..

they redesigned the power adapter about 3 times.
i love apple ideas!!.

skwoytek
Jan 6, 2008, 04:01 AM
When thinking about the on screen keyboards remember that Apple has filed a patent under the title "Keystroke tacility arrangement on a smooth touch surface (http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PG01&p=1&S1=20070247429&OS=20070247429&RS=20070247429),” for a method of physically altering the screen surface to increase tactile feedback. Perhaps dropping the keys to the new Apple style keyboards was their way of preparing us for even shallower keys... Keys on a touch screen.

http://appleservedup.com/images/touchkey.png

Of course, this could always just end up as another unused Apple patent.

Foocha
Jan 6, 2008, 04:30 AM
These mockups don't look right to me. It's hard to see what the benefit of such a wide trackpad would be, and I can't help suspecting that the purpose of Apple's patent was just a defensive move to generalise the concepts in the iPhone's touch screen to apply to devices other than phones.

I think that the iMac-style docking station is very likely - an elegant solution to not having an optical drive on board. It also makes it all the more likely that the styling of the new sub-notebook would need to match that of the new iMac. Which leads me to conclude that it would have a glossy black frame around the screen, and a white plastic keyboard on an aluminium base.

For what it's worth, before Apple adds insanely large trackpads, I'd love them to add a right-click button (or a right-area on the single button) - we have it on the Mighty Mouse now, so why not on the MacBook?

http://bp2.blogger.com/_DVemXS6fKCQ/R2cHIh-jQjI/AAAAAAAAAAM/JBQSaUACsek/s320/subnotebook.jpg (http://www.macpredictions.com/)

Patchwork
Jan 6, 2008, 05:03 AM

It looks like the edge of the keyboard from Logitech's S530 cordless desktop package, so not part of the mockup.

sparks9
Jan 6, 2008, 05:29 AM

No

EdDek
Jan 6, 2008, 06:48 AM
I haven't read the complete thread, so this might have been brought up before...

How about a thin laptop - as shown in the mock-ups here - with an additional touchpad/keyboard/whatever screen. Think Ninentedo DS. Could be used as a drawing pad, switched to keyboard like iPhone does.
Using an OLED screen under a transparent touch pad might do the trick.

coolant113
Jan 6, 2008, 06:51 AM
i dont like the idea of the multi touch trackpad.. i dont understand the benefit of it and what it does??:apple::apple:

philoscoffee
Jan 6, 2008, 07:01 AM
Funny, I was going to suggest the exact same thing: a iPhone sized multi-touch screen in place of the normal trackpad. As a minimum, the additional display would show visual hints to help users learn specific multi-touch gestures for cut, paste, rotate, zoom, etc., but could have some other novel user interface applications... (Probably just wild speculation, but it's an interesting idea!)

What I suspect we'll really see is a regular sized multi-touch trackpad with zoom, rotate and multi-select facilities, which will hopefully be rolled out through the whole laptop range by the middle of next year in preparation for true touch screen display based Macs. :cool:

EdDek
Jan 6, 2008, 07:05 AM
i dont like the idea of the multi touch trackpad.. i dont understand the benefit of it and what it does??

I didn't either until I used two-finger scrolling. Now I'm hooked. Same goes for scaling gestures on iPhone/iPod touch.

koobcamuk
Jan 6, 2008, 07:26 AM
I would have to see a demo before being sold on it.

You mean like when Apple said they were releasing a phone with only 1 (or three) button(s)?

sushi
Jan 6, 2008, 07:28 AM

This image shows a mockup of what a thin MacBook might look like complete with a large area for a multi-touch trackpad.
This one makes sense to me.

As for the long trackpad, I am sure the user will have options. For example, those who need the full space to do touch type features, can have it set to ignore palm pressure that would occur if your hands were resting on it. Likewise if you were only going to type, why not have an option turning off the outer portions of the trackpad that would be under your hands? The option could be activated by a key sequence or menu option.

Kind of like having the best of both worlds at the same time.

matthewHUB
Jan 6, 2008, 07:38 AM
ok so maybe this is an insane idea....

but what if there was *no* trackpad visible? i mean, the entire bottom portion of the front could be 'touchable', and it wouldn't even need any buttons, as it could sense when you're going to click, or double click by having two fingers on the pad and tapping with the thumb.

crazy? or would it just elliminate a whole load of clutter?

Full of Win
Jan 6, 2008, 07:53 AM
I came into this thread with the intention of getting away from all the ignorant people in the other thread saying Jay-Z wasn't a talented artist.

But in response, he'd have his encrusted with platinum.

Typically you encrust with jewels and you plate with metals. Oh, and I'm sure Mr. JayZee would only take a MacBook Pro plated with rhodium, since platinum is so 2005.

Tallest Skil
Jan 6, 2008, 07:58 AM
And then you dip with chocolate. ;)

Sannekita
Jan 6, 2008, 08:08 AM
A keyboard with signs on it that light up, and you would be able to switch the signs on it, for example shortcuts on a program. Now that would be sweet... please apple give me a new MBP!!!!

Dagless
Jan 6, 2008, 08:23 AM
I'm in the market for something like this. My Powerbook does nothing more than sit by my bed and act as an email/internet machine, probably throw that on eBay (mygod they still go for so much!) and get myself one of these for the right price. So long as it was smaller and lighter than a 12" PowerBook.

And could time travel.

Brianstorm91
Jan 6, 2008, 09:10 AM
(my god they still go for so much!)

Don't I know it :(

excalibur313
Jan 6, 2008, 09:22 AM
Has it been rumored how large the solid state hard drive will be? A quick look on new egg puts a 32gb hd at $400 and when I look at the size of just my library folder it is about 8gb, which goes for about $200. I know that apple would get huge discounts, but this isn't looking cheap. (Although someone explain to me: why are they so expensive? I bought a 4gb flash drive for like $20-$30, why shouldnt it just be roughly additive since size isn't an issue)

Full of Win
Jan 6, 2008, 09:39 AM
Has it been rumored how large the solid state hard drive will be? A quick look on new egg puts a 32gb hd at $400 and when I look at the size of just my library folder it is about 8gb, which goes for about $200. I know that apple would get huge discounts, but this isn't looking cheap. (Although someone explain to me: why are they so expensive? I bought a 4gb flash drive for like $20-$30, why shouldnt it just be roughly additive since size isn't an issue)

I might be wrong on this, but this is my understanding…

Solid state memory has a limited number or read/writes before it fails, and the memory used in the SSD’s is of a higher caliber that it will last for years given the number of read/wire operations expected with a typical OS. There is also the issue of speed, where it has to be sufficiently fast enough not to bog your system down – and this comes at a premium cost.

Then again, the internet is an echo chamber, so I might be quoting a wrong rationale.

Yvan256
Jan 6, 2008, 09:40 AM
I prefer my crazy mock-up on ThinkRumors.com :p

beast
Jan 6, 2008, 09:51 AM
hmmmm..... i'm hoping for some sort of dual screen (nintendo DS) multitouch macbook wonder from apple :)

SheriffParker
Jan 6, 2008, 10:02 AM
I might be wrong on this, but this is my understanding…

Solid state memory has a limited number or read/writes before it fails, and the memory used in the SSD’s is of a higher caliber that it will last for years given the number of read/wire operations expected with a typical OS. There is also the issue of speed, where it has to be sufficiently fast enough not to bog your system down – and this comes at a premium cost.

Then again, the internet is an echo chamber, so I might be quoting a wrong rationale.

I think that used to be an issue, but I've heard people say that nowadays flash technology has gotten a lot better. There are so many read/write operations allowed on flash that it will take like years and years of constant read/write for the thing to fail.

izzle22
Jan 6, 2008, 10:02 AM
Typically you encrust with jewels and you plate with metals. Oh, and I'm sure Mr. JayZee would only take a MacBook Pro plated with rhodium, since platinum is so 2005.

Typically rhodium is used to plate white gold so that it looks more white and it has been used for many many years and is not some kind of NEW metal that is in right now. Just FYI ;)

guzhogi
Jan 6, 2008, 10:10 AM
A little off topic, but still related is Apple really needs to overhaul the cases for all its computers. I've noticed that when a PowerPC computer is upgraded to a new kind of proc (iw G3 -> G4, G4 ->), Apple makes an entirely new case. Look at the PowerPC iMacs. Yet nothing's really changed w/ the Intel transition. MacBooks look like iBooks, MacBook Pros like Powerbook G4s, Mac Pros like Power Mac G5s and iMacs like iMac G5s. While I don't particularly like change just for the sake of change, just saying this isn't in Apple's style.

Yvan256
Jan 6, 2008, 10:15 AM
A little off topic, but still related is Apple really needs to overhaul the cases for all its computers. I've noticed that when a PowerPC computer is upgraded to a new kind of proc (iw G3 -> G4, G4 ->), Apple makes an entirely new case. Look at the PowerPC iMacs. Yet nothing's really changed w/ the Intel transition. MacBooks look like iBooks, MacBook Pros like Powerbook G4s, Mac Pros like Power Mac G5s and iMacs like iMac G5s. While I don't particularly like change just for the sake of change, just saying this isn't in Apple's style.

Well, the iMac G5 doesn't look like the new iMac Core 2 Duo. The style is the same but the casing is different.

One thing to think about: maybe they didn't change the cases for the intel transition on purpose: to show/prove to their users that the intel transition wouldn't change anything except underneath, that if you look at the (then) new Macs, you wouldn't be able to tell if it was PowerPC or intel, that a Mac was still a Mac, no matter what CPU was in it.

Compile 'em all
Jan 6, 2008, 10:16 AM
ok so maybe this is an insane idea....

but what if there was *no* trackpad visible? i mean, the entire bottom portion of the front could be 'touchable', and it wouldn't even need any buttons, as it could sense when you're going to click, or double click by having two fingers on the pad and tapping with the thumb.

crazy? or would it just elliminate a whole load of clutter?

This is what you are going to see SF.

KevanDual2.5
Jan 6, 2008, 10:27 AM
Time for a grainy picture of the new 'Ultra-Portable' Apple device.

Looking at all of the mock-up stuff, which look excellent, something about this one makes me think it is the real deal as it seems to follow the current line of Apple design. Looks like a giant iPhone. I would guess that it is 300mm x 200mm x 25-50mm.

stephen =D
Jan 6, 2008, 10:41 AM
I know this might sound really stupid but what are the chances of the current macbook being replaced?

All this talk of MBP is fair enough but will the Macbook's be replaced also.

Also Any idea of prices for the new macbooks?

Also is there anywhere that is giving a live stream of the keynote ??

cornopaez
Jan 6, 2008, 10:47 AM
I prefer my crazy mock-up on ThinkRumors.com :p

That is a crazy mock-up, alright :p

So far my favorite is the concept of the MacBook Touch... I guess the 15th will come and everyone will be like "yeah, that's a no-brainer... why didn't I think of that?." ;)

CWallace
Jan 6, 2008, 10:58 AM
What if they where an iPod touch?

I just don't see what a multi-touch trackpad brings to the table. It works on the iPhone and the iPod Touch because that is the display. On the MacSubBook, you have a much larger display already there, so at that rate, just use a multi-touch LCD. Panasonic has tough-sensitive LCDs on their Toughbooks and they really are nice (we use them at work).

Now, if you put a small multi-touch display on the back of the LCD, as one of the Intel concepts did, I could see that because you could control multimedia and presentation functions from it without having to open the laptop.

Lesser Evets
Jan 6, 2008, 11:06 AM
Wow....

I have seen the future of computing.
And it is retarded.

If ANY of these designs are what Apple finally settles on, Apple should roll up a big doob and congratulate themselves for being lame.

caldw
These mockups don't look right to me. It's hard to see what the benefit of such a wide trackpad would be, and I can't help suspecting that the purpose of Apple's patent was just a defensive move to generalise the concepts in the iPhone's touch screen to apply to devices other than phones.

I think that the iMac-style docking station is very likely - an elegant solution to not having an optical drive on board. It also makes it all the more likely that the styling of the new sub-notebook would need to match that of the new iMac. Which leads me to conclude that it would have a glossy black frame around the screen, and a white plastic keyboard on an aluminium base.

For what it's worth, before Apple adds insanely large trackpads, I'd love them to add a right-click button (or a right-area on the single button) - we have it on the Mighty Mouse now, so why not on the MacBook?

http://bp2.blogger.com/_DVemXS6fKCQ/R2cHIh-jQjI/AAAAAAAAAAM/JBQSaUACsek/s320/subnotebook.jpg (http://www.macpredictions.com/)

I like your idea. it would fit in the line of the macbooks, not the macbook pro. I don't think apple would introduce any plastic on the macbook pro (recycling policy)

NC MacGuy
Time for a grainy picture of the new 'Ultra-Portable' Apple device.

Looking at all of the mock-up stuff, which look excellent, something about this one makes me think it is the real deal as it seems to follow the current line of Apple design. Looks like a giant iPhone. I would guess that it is 300mm x 200mm x 25-50mm.

This one looks doable. 8" widescreen ipod touch w. OSX.

KevanDual2.5
Jan 6, 2008, 11:11 AM

The grainy picture i posted earlier is not something i made up myself. It is a scan from a UK newspaper who published the picture today. The picture looks like it is something Apple would do. The composition is correct, if you know what i mean.

The giant iPhone/iTouch would be a nice device.

NC MacGuy
Jan 6, 2008, 11:15 AM
The grainy picture i posted earlier is not something i made up myself. It is a scan from a UK newspaper who published the picture today. The picture looks like it is something Apple would do. The composition is correct, if you know what i mean.

The giant iPhone/iTouch would be a nice device.

Another from the Green Rabbit - he posted three pic's:

CWallace
Jan 6, 2008, 11:17 AM

I like the Al iMac's look, but that is because of the nice wide Al band underneath the black border of the screen. I award aesthetic points for putting an Al band around the display to link it to the Al backplate, but with no Al band on the bottom (which I understand can't be added), the screen looks like it's "floating" above the bottom and is not connected.

Also, Apple was nuts putting white keys on an Al base with the iMac keyboard. Not only does it not look pretty when new and clean, but my most-used keys are now covered in dirt so my entire keyboard is a mish-mash of various shades of white and gray-brown.

I'd much prefer a pure Al look or a pure "piano-black" look.

jayducharme
Jan 6, 2008, 11:19 AM

I really like the mockup of the Macbook Touch. I'd buy it. I don't have issues with smudges on my Touch. The few times I've used it with greasy fingers I cleaned it by simply rubbing the screen on my shirt. I'm sure Power Support could come out with an anti-glare film for a Macbook Touch anyway. That would do away with any smudge concerns.

With the positive response Apple has had to the iPhone and Touch, and how so many people want those devices to act more like a standard computing device, I could see Apple responding with a full-blown touch-screen computer.

John Jacob
Jan 6, 2008, 11:19 AM
Typically rhodium is used to plate white gold so that it looks more white and it has been used for many many years and is not some kind of NEW metal that is in right now. Just FYI ;)

Ha ha! There is no such thing as a "NEW" metal. They have all been around from the beginning of the universes (and the internets). :D

akadmon
Jan 6, 2008, 11:27 AM
I think I could actually type faster using the predictive text, I wish Leo had it. I think it will mean less typing mistakes.

Well, this may work for people who touch type, but as for the rest of us, who have to glance at the keys much of the time to make sure we hit the right ones, predictive text might actually slow us down since we would need to glance back at the display to see when/if the OS has come up with the right word out of the first few letters we have just typed. The only way out of this conundrum, as I see it, is for the OS to actually speak the predicted word. We would then be able to accept the suggestion without looking up at the display by, for example, hitting the space bar.

jayducharme
Jan 6, 2008, 11:27 AM
I'm just not convinced that this paradigm would extend very well into a situation where you have 10 fingers trying to find keys that aren't physically there. I prefer to look elsewhere than the keyboard when I type. I don't think I could do that without feeling keys at my fingers.

Technology to the rescue (and this is from nearly three years ago):

http://adverlab.blogspot.com/2005/05/touchscreens-get-force-feedback.html

iQuit
Jan 6, 2008, 12:00 PM
two trackpads?

LillieDesigns
Jan 6, 2008, 12:12 PM
Judging by a post form 9to5 Mac, I'm thinking the trackpad is just built in and you don't see it.

phoxrenvatio
Jan 6, 2008, 12:16 PM

two-fingered click on the track pad....

Twilight Elk
Jan 6, 2008, 12:18 PM
The second one from the bottom row: the one that disassembles. Thats the only design I seriously hate. I don't like putting together extras to make it work, that aggravates me.

Full of Win
Jan 6, 2008, 12:26 PM
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=96693&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1199639143

Knowing my luck this will be the "one more thing", but the light reflection is not opaque enough. Its like a desk lamp was shot in a dark room and the layer was added with mutiplication <--(?). Don't recall the exact one in photoshop.

jemo07
Jan 6, 2008, 12:28 PM
Another from the Green Rabbit - he posted three pic's:

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=96694&d=1199639724
Did anyone notice this? I have never seen it before! :o

Also, I still think that all we will get is a keyless keyboard on the ultrathin.
It will be announced now and ship in May-June unless Intel can provide their new chips in volume :rolleyes:

:apple:JM

CWallace
Jan 6, 2008, 12:35 PM

But such a device would be unwieldy to hold, especially in portrait mode. The dimensions are similar to a letter-sized envelope (cut off the bottom inch of the envelope).

Now compare that to an iPhone / iPod Touch.

And try typing in that in portrait mode with the keyboard on the bottom. It would be very top-heavy in your hands. You'd likely fumble it onto the pavement.

It is not as bad as Intel's device, but pretty close.

http://www.techfresh.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/intel-iphone.jpg

Image courtesy of techfresh.net.

zlinger
Jan 6, 2008, 12:36 PM
This one makes sense to me.

I agree. But I hope that better material is used for the case; like the metal used for the new ipods.. The existing white/black mac book use cheap looking plastic that scratches and leaves fingerprints (not too mention eventual wear).

benspratling
Jan 6, 2008, 12:41 PM

Place two fingers on the trackpad (as if you just put down your right click finger) now click, it's a "context click," also known as a right click. All current laptops support this. If it does not, try looking in system preferences, or maybe it's an old model.

Why do so many people not understand that macs do and have supported right-clicking for years still confuses me. If this multi-touch gesture on the trackpad does not satisfy you, plug in a microsoft mouse, no drivers to install, it just works -- the wheel and the right mouse button.

benspratling
Jan 6, 2008, 12:49 PM
Ha ha! There is no such thing as a "NEW" metal. They have all been around from the beginning of the universes (and the internets). :D

Simply because all elements are theorized to exist does not mean that all uniformly-distributed alloys of those elements have existed. There may be new "metals" developed by combining elements in new ways. For instance, Nitinol (Nickel-Titanium Naval Ordinance Laboratory) is one example of a metal that was developed less than 100 years ago.

Besides, according to modern theories of universe formation, the temperature would have been too hot to support nucleic structures required for metals "in the beginning." More likely that most metals have existed since comparatively soon after the beginning of the universe.

Why you then pluralize universe and internet is beyond me.

RoboCop001
Jan 6, 2008, 12:57 PM
Place two fingers on the trackpad (as if you just put down your right click finger) now click, it's a "context click," also known as a right click. All current laptops support this. If it does not, try looking in system preferences, or maybe it's an old model.

Why do so many people not understand that macs do and have supported right-clicking for years still confuses me. If this multi-touch gesture on the trackpad does not satisfy you, plug in a microsoft mouse, no drivers to install, it just works -- the wheel and the right mouse button.

An even easier thing would be to check the "Tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click" in Keyboard & Mouse system preferences.

Then you just need to tap with two fingers instead of using 3 fingers.

carlitofox
Jan 6, 2008, 12:57 PM
Bedrooms are the new elevators ............:D:D:D

if it's thin will it make Safari Snappyer????

Peace
Jan 6, 2008, 01:00 PM
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=96694&d=1199639724
Did anyone notice this? I have never seen it before! :o

Also, I still think that all we will get is a keyless keyboard on the ultrathin.
It will be announced now and ship in May-June unless Intel can provide their new chips in volume :rolleyes:

:apple:JM

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4705248#post4705248

good but not great photoshop job.

benspratling
The second one from the bottom row: the one that disassembles. Thats the only design I seriously hate. I don't like putting together extras to make it work, that aggravates me.

I agree completely. It's aweful. Popular Mechanics was never really very smart. Popular Science - now that's the magazine that inspires.

I really hate the way it falls apart into multiple pieces. Steve has always liked the idea that the computer is one thing. With a handle. I agree with him and think the ultraportable should be the same. I think we'll also find that lying the main screen flat on the table won't be the way this all gets solved. But I am hoping whatever it is has keys you can see in the dark - I gave up my 12" PowerBook for a 15" so I could get the back-lit keyboard.

RoboCop001

In the new Macbook, Safari makes everything else snappier! But Safari remains at the same snappiness level :confused:

benspratling
Jan 6, 2008, 01:12 PM
An even easier thing would be to check the "Tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click" in Keyboard & Mouse system preferences.

Then you just need to tap with two fingers instead of using 3 fingers.

I don't like the "click on tap" thing. It makes too many mistakes. What if I put my finger down to move the mouse, then decide that I don't want to move it? Actually that happens quite frequently. Unfortunately, I get lots of people hitting my trackpad really hard.
I have gotten used to having two fingers near the trackpad and my thumb on the mouse button. The other fingers just hang up in the air - I guess I could use them for something - they're not doing anything else anyway.

Come on Apple - please release a firmware update that turns existing trackpads into multi-finger gesture touchpads. Please add zooming and rotating. Does anyone know if this is even possible? I mean, is the hardware there?

!¡ V ¡!
Jan 6, 2008, 01:39 PM
In the new Macbook, Safari makes everything else snappier! But Safari remains at the same snappiness level :confused:

oh snap!!! ;):p:D

dazzer21
Jan 6, 2008, 01:52 PM
The News of the World newspaper today (UK) shows an Apple Tablet, and also mentions new laptops as both happening this year - anyone see it? It's on their gadgets page and shows OS X on a tablet screen with an optical drive on the right hand side.

plumbingandtech
Jan 6, 2008, 01:52 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4705248#post4705248

good but not great photoshop job.

P.T. Barnum would make a mint on these boards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There's_a_sucker_born_every_minute

dazzer21
Jan 6, 2008, 01:56 PM
I didn't say that it was a kosher story (let's face it, it's the News of the World for heaven's sake)!

zzsxp
Jan 6, 2008, 02:06 PM
These pictures are nothing apple would release. Whatever apple releases on the 15th, its going to be amazing - well thats how every macworld is. :D

mr.suff
Jan 6, 2008, 02:06 PM
See my original message. Number 115 on page 5.

no idea how old that fan based idea is but it's gotta be atleast 2 years

here's a larger version of the image
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n81/bigguysuff/droppedImage_41.jpg

not particularly apple design

RoDe
Jan 6, 2008, 02:10 PM
Some of the rumors reminds me of earlier attempts of Apple to integrate Desk top and notebook into one (Duo Dock ring a bell)! Those attempts were not really successful. But Apple has come along way since and so has technology. I think that Apple can pull this one off. I still hope it will have optical drive, and I think it will.

If they are going to create this whole "Duo Dock" thing again. It will probably resemble the iMac in looks.

However if the ultra portable notebook were to have no optical drive, which most of the rumors are saying, that would mean that they have to put an optical drive in the dock.

With the width of an 20" iMac being 48cm and the size of the notebook roughly ±28cm, that leaves ±20 cm enough for an optical drive in the dock.
But on which side would the optical drive go.
If they are going to slide the notebook in on the right side (like the patent picture shows us) that would mean the optical drive goes to the left. I don't think that will happen.
Since most of us are right handed (nothing against left handed people) it would make no sense. There for I think the so-allec ultra portable will have a optical drive in cluded

kcmac
Jan 6, 2008, 02:13 PM
i'm sortof liking this one:
Nice.

CWallace
Jan 6, 2008, 02:14 PM
no idea how old that fan based idea is but it's gotta be at least 2 years. Here's a larger version of the image
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n81/bigguysuff/droppedImage_41.jpg

Well Apple two years ago was into white plastic, so it actually does look "Appleish". :D

zioxide
Jan 6, 2008, 02:15 PM
Why does everyone insist on putting that ugly ass iMac screen border on these mockups. Apple would never do that.

Looks more like Apple design than the ****** mockups with a black screen border, aluminum case, white keyboard, and super-wide useless trackpad.

phoxrenvatio
Jan 6, 2008, 02:17 PM
Some of the rumors reminds me of earlier attempts of Apple to integrate Desk top and notebook into one (Duo Dock ring a bell)! Those attempts were not really successful. But Apple has come along way since and so has technology. I think that Apple can pull this one off. I still hope it will have optical drive, and I think it will.

If they are going to create this whole "Duo Dock" thing again. It will probably resemble the iMac in looks.

However if the ultra portable notebook were to have no optical drive, which most of the rumors are saying, that would mean that they have to put an optical drive in the dock.

With the width of an 20" iMac being 48cm and the size of the notebook roughly ±28cm, that leaves ±20 cm enough for an optical drive in the dock.
But on which side would the optical drive go.
If they are going to slide the notebook in on the right side (like the patent picture shows us) that would mean the optical drive goes to the left. I don't think that will happen.
Since most of us are right handed (nothing against left handed people) it would make no sense. There for I think the so-allec ultra portable will have a optical drive in cluded

so, are you saying it would be impossible, or even highly in-probable, that apple would put an optical drive on the (OMG) LEFT SIDE!?!?

who cares what side you slide a disk into the machine. if you put the mac in one side of the dock, most likely you'll put the dvd/cd/bd in the other side....

CWallace
Jan 6, 2008, 02:18 PM
Why does everyone insist on putting that ugly ass iMac screen border on these mockups. Apple would never do that.

They might if they want to tie it to the iMac and the iPhone/iPod Touch, which also have Al edges.

However, as I and others have noted, by necessity the laptop display edge has to be totally black (with hopefully a thin Al border). This works for the iPhone/iPod touch because the display is all there is. But on a laptop, then you have the lower part. If you make it all Al, it doesn't look aesthetic.

Someone did a nice "piano black" laptop image where the whole thing was black. Perhaps instead of making the bottom part Al, also make it black with an Al edge and sides and bottom with an Al edge and sides and back for the LCD. That way, looking at it closed, it is all Al. And when open, the inside is all black with Al edging.

appletastic
Jan 6, 2008, 02:21 PM
Judging by a post form 9to5 Mac, I'm thinking the trackpad is just built in and you don't see it.

I agree - surely the strip under the keyboard there will be a solid piece of metal (or plastic) which will act as the track pad. You'll be able to use your finger anywhere to move the cursor and tap anywhere to click, two finger to scroll etc. The indented trackpad will be no more.. TRACK ANYWHERE!

Much cleaner design and it will ignore your palms and only react to finger touches.

Keebler
Jan 6, 2008, 02:25 PM
did anyone else notice that the top picture (on the table with the red cloth) says" Macbook nano"?

I tried to search this thread for Nano, but i couldn't find it so i wonder if that could be the name. Would make sense given the Nano ipod....

Digital Skunk
Jan 6, 2008, 03:17 PM
They are all crap. Even the the ones that were just posted on this page that look like a fat iPhone that needs to be on a diet. The only one that makes sense so far is the first one that has that weird MacBook keyboard and the supper large trackpad.

Come on January 15th... I don't want to dream about my 17" Super MacBook Pro with real professional hardware and features anymore.:D

Foocha
Jan 6, 2008, 03:21 PM
Place two fingers on the trackpad (as if you just put down your right click finger) now click, it's a "context click," also known as a right click. All current laptops support this.
Didn't know that - enabled it now, thanks for the tip. I still think we could do with a second button though!

Ghibli
Jan 6, 2008, 03:24 PM
The only one that makes sense so far is the first one that has that weird MacBook keyboard and the supper large trackpad.
D

I agree 100%. And I must say that, although I do not need a ultra slim sub-notebook, that mockup is really nice and "Appleish". I think I would consider buying it...

matthewHUB
Jan 6, 2008, 03:25 PM
Simply because all elements are theorized to exist does not mean that all uniformly-distributed alloys of those elements have existed. There may be new "metals" developed by combining elements in new ways. For instance, Nitinol (Nickel-Titanium Naval Ordinance Laboratory) is one example of a metal that was developed less than 100 years ago.

Besides, according to modern theories of universe formation, the temperature would have been too hot to support nucleic structures required for metals "in the beginning." More likely that most metals have existed since comparatively soon after the beginning of the universe.

+1

Somebody on this forum actually talks some sense.

Eric Lewis
Jan 6, 2008, 03:40 PM
stop with the black borders wow

astudentis
Jan 6, 2008, 03:44 PM
the top pic of the new macbook seems very unlikely... would they really ship a product with no ports... ie its missing USB, Video out, etc... i would think those are necessary things for a laptop; however, the MBPs (s=slim) seems more likely...

kangaroo
Jan 6, 2008, 04:03 PM

B - O - R - I - N - G

princigalli
Jan 6, 2008, 04:06 PM
if the screen doesn't detach from keyboard and the computer maintains its traditional laptop shape, then there will be no news. Laptops the way they are now, are a total piece of s***

!¡ V ¡!
Jan 6, 2008, 04:17 PM

B - O - R - I - N - G

I can tell those phonic lessons are finally paying off. ;):D

if the screen doesn't detach from keyboard and the computer maintains its traditional laptop shape, then there will be no news. Laptops the way they are now, are a total piece of s***

Not sure there is much in the department to innovate on a laptop design. Same with a desktop. The least part of the entire notebook or desktop has to have a screen, the rest of the computer usually is plastered as flat as possible to it. Unless you have a better concept of viewing data, and I am not talking about Sc-Fi. :p

You mean what is retro (old) is new again, get out of here. I say White Plastic and the JellyBean iMac will make a re-introduction in 4-6 years timeframe. :D

Black was used on the Pismo PowerBook G3, so anything is possible. ;)

i'm sortof liking this one:

Hopefully its a better metal than Al as a thickness or shall I say thinness would not hold to daily abuse since the Al trends to bend and warp (as noted on the Al Books).

Plus that Black border around the screen resembles PC notebooks. :eek:

Stella
Jan 6, 2008, 05:32 PM
did anyone else notice that the top picture (on the table with the red cloth) says" Macbook nano"?

I tried to search this thread for Nano, but i couldn't find it so i wonder if that could be the name. Would make sense given the Nano ipod....

Its a mock up only and isn't based upon insider knowledge ( as far as everyone knows ) so the name "Nano" is made up for the Macbook. It could have said "Mini" and it would have the same relevance to reality: nothing.

dernhelm
Jan 6, 2008, 05:48 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

With Macworld approaching, many concept designs are circulating to demonstrate how Apple might design the upcoming "thin" notebook. Our multitouch article (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/31/apple-sub-notebook-hints-external-optical-drive-multitouch-trackpad/) generated a long discussion (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/31/apple-sub-notebook-hints-external-optical-drive-multitouch-trackpad/) with a number of unofficial mockups posted. The most attractive, perhaps, is this image posted by kontheur (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4699816&postcount=520):

My apologies if this was already mentioned (didn't have time to read the whole thread) but can you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth if Apple produced a clickable button that long that wasn't split so it had both a left and right button? :eek:

Windy
Jan 6, 2008, 06:18 PM
I was looking at the Popular Mechanics movie, the one with the detachable keyboard and all, and just figured that something like that isn't technically possible...at all. Not at this day, anyway.

On most (dare I say every?) laptops, a large portion of the computer components (memory, processor, hard disk, you name it) are seated beneath the keyboard. Now, if the keyboard was detachable, what then? Transmit processor calculations and hard drive access via Bluetooth? Not remotely possible with todays end-user technology.

The concept movie leaves a small amount of space (the plate that's used as a stand which houses the ports), but I do think that it's a bit too optimistic to fit an Apple-quality computer in there.

chaos86
Jan 6, 2008, 07:42 PM
some of those pics a sexy. the last one reminds me of the tibook.

the docking station video is ugly as **** though.

andy721
Jan 6, 2008, 07:52 PM
the keyboard looks cheap and its fake,

gifford
Jan 6, 2008, 08:39 PM
On most (dare I say every?) laptops, a large portion of the computer components (memory, processor, hard disk, you name it) are seated beneath the keyboard. Now, if the keyboard was detachable, what then? Transmit processor calculations and hard drive access via Bluetooth? Not remotely possible with todays end-user technology.

Though I'm not fond of the design, surely the idea is that the "memory, processor, hard disk, you name it" would sit in the 'base' rather than under the keyboard. With information transmitted via bluetooth from the keyboard.

John Jacob
Jan 6, 2008, 08:42 PM

Never heard George Bush's quote before on the "internets" before? And didn't you notice the smiley at the end of my post? Sheesh, some people have no sense of humour. :rolleyes:

Anyway, all that is way off-topic. In one more week we will see what metals :apple: use to create their new ultraportable. I can't wait.

Digital Skunk
Jan 6, 2008, 09:15 PM
Mockup artists bringing us the worst of Apple imaginary design of 2008. I think this one is the winner of lazy @$$ design by far. It's the epitome of "I have five minutes to burn, why not ******* up some pixels..."

Stella
Jan 6, 2008, 09:15 PM
the keyboard looks cheap and its fake,

See the definition "mockup" ; the keyboard can't be fake.

Eidorian
Jan 6, 2008, 09:16 PM
Mockup artists bringing us the worst of Apple imaginary design of 2008. I think this one is the winner of lazy @$$ design by far. It's the epitome of "I have five minutes to burn, why not ******* up some pixels..."Simple recolor... :rolleyes:

Digital Skunk
Jan 6, 2008, 09:19 PM
Simple recolor... :rolleyes:

Not to mention the cutting out of the original bezel and and the pasting of the iMac screen.

Also, I hope that mockup artists know that they black outline around the iMac's screen was there for a reason. Apple may use it in future notebook models but it isn't entirely necessary. Then again they do this every time Apple adds a new design element. I can remember the horrible drawings of the iMac and iPhone combinations.

Eidorian
Jan 6, 2008, 09:21 PM
Not to mention the cutting out of the original bezel and and the pasting of the iMac screen.

Also, I hope that mockup artists know that they black outline around the iMac's screen was there for a reason. Apple may use it in future notebook models but it isn't entirely necessary. Then again they do this every time Apple adds a new design element. I can remember the horrible drawings of the iMac and iPhone combinations.I can't really see it on a laptop when LCD display borders are shrinking all the time.

It's a nice contrast on the iMac. I'm still not very fond of the current iMac's looks though. It gets hotter then older ones too. :rolleyes:

joelmejiaganan
Jan 6, 2008, 09:44 PM
Definitely the keyboard must be there. Given the new look of the new Apple Keyboards, it is for sure the new laptop will have it with no change.

The screen will NOT be touchable.

The trackpad and the click button will both disappear and instead the whole area below the keyboard will be the touch sensitive trackpad. Apple is in the touch era and the will keep using it, so I think the new touch sensitive area will recognize a lot of gestures to Click, right click, pan, rotate, rezise, scroll vertically and horizontally, copy, cut, paste, etc.

The laptop will be as high as the most bigger port on it, including the screen. It can be very slim and only be "fat" on the back where all the ports are.

The DVD drive will be there too.

The hard drive will not be flash, but it will have flash to help shorten boot times.

A new tablet will be the one more thing. It will be a bigger iphone without the phone, with 2 usb ports, a memory stick port, no cd drive, flash based 16 or 32gb, only 1 button, wifi and bluetooth, iphone-like OS and leopard.

That's my guess.

mrat93
Jan 6, 2008, 10:26 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/01/05/macbook_nano_300.jpg [/QUOTE]

What's this? OS X running another OS X Leopard running XP?

SheriffParker
Jan 6, 2008, 10:33 PM
Mockup artists bringing us the worst of Apple imaginary design of 2008. I think this one is the winner of lazy @$$ design by far. It's the epitome of "I have five minutes to burn, why not ******* up some pixels..."

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=96776&stc=1&d=1199675673

I just love the white keys with the grey base and the black bezel. :p

takepillsdie
Jan 6, 2008, 10:34 PM
anyone heard of touch screens or touch pads being touch sensitive? (...responding to pressure, like a midi-keyboard for music making.) That would be ace!

That first picture is nice. So glad to see optical drives as historical. Hopefully battery life and ruggedness will be very important on this one since it will be carried around more than a normal laptop. Kind of wish bluetooth was faster so that we wouldn't have to have (usb, firewire, etc.) plugs at all. This would make it so we could have much more plugged in at a time (phone, ipod, keyboard, external hard-drive,...). Another thing is I've wrecked three hard drives on a macbook. Maybe from not letting it go to sleep before putting it in my bag when I'm out and about? So hope to see a flash drive. Space isn't so much an issue for me.

I've been waiting for a fully functional ultraportable from mac for along time. I'm excited to see what pans out on the 15th, but don't expect too much.

hobbbz
Jan 6, 2008, 11:51 PM
Just popped into my head, I know jobs hates stylii but why couldn't there be one a la the new wacom cintiq 12" with 512 levels of sensitivity that could be a digital artists dream. If there was a way to use fingers like on the iPhone for less sensitive tasks it would be awesome as well.

gifford
Jan 7, 2008, 12:00 AM
This is what I rekon.

http://privateevent.co.uk/underground/img/gallery/19_1197603478.jpg
http://privateevent.co.uk/underground/img/gallery/19_1197604479.jpg
http://privateevent.co.uk/underground/img/gallery/19_1197605983.jpg

sacordoba
Jan 7, 2008, 01:34 AM
Let's hope that this new technology comes with the new Laptops

sacordoba
Jan 7, 2008, 01:36 AM
I Like the first concept.

gfair
Jan 7, 2008, 02:02 AM
I was thinking about this today - I predict Apple will replace keyboards and trackpads and replace the entire flat interface surface with an OLED touch-screen display that will have a virtual keyboard and will double as a gesture & Touch pad.

So one screen will be a new LED-backlit LCD display as the main, bright interface, and the keyboard will be entirely backlit, customizeable, and a secondary screen.

Either that, or both screens will be OLED and the device can be folded flat to use both screens, doubling the screen size for things like movies.

kontheur
Jan 7, 2008, 04:21 AM
I was thinking about this today - I predict Apple will replace keyboards and trackpads and replace the entire flat interface surface with an OLED touch-screen display that will have a virtual keyboard and will double as a gesture & Touch pad.

So one screen will be a new LED-backlit LCD display as the main, bright interface, and the keyboard will be entirely backlit, customizeable, and a secondary screen.

Either that, or both screens will be OLED and the device can be folded flat to use both screens, doubling the screen size for things like movies.

Like this?

http://www.frankreinders.nl/foto/800/itouch1.jpg
http://www.frankreinders.nl/foto/800/itouch2.jpg

A customizable tablet?

ThinkGeek
Jan 7, 2008, 04:34 AM
Like this?

A customizable tablet?

nice... I would buy that... that is sweet

mirffy
Jan 7, 2008, 05:05 AM
Like this?
Call me old fashioned, but for me only keyboards with tactile feedback are to some degree usable keyboards (varying resulting in different keyboards where I just pick by personal preference)

I can see those "touchpads" having verious applications in the media area though. Be it as Wacom replacements, as equaliser, etc. But not as a keyboard replacement.

Besides, as great as OLEDs are, considering that Sony is shipping the XEL-1 (an 11" (!) OLED TV) for $2500 it might come in a tad expensive, don't you think?

Pukey
Jan 7, 2008, 05:48 AM
Aha! I was thinking along the same lines as gfair and kontheur (posts 190 and 191).
First, this is not meant to look pretty, it's just a quick mockup to help explain my idea. As in other's previous posts I agree in having the base as a multi-touch surface that is also the exact same size as the screen. I'm not saying an additional screen, but a surface that has multiple uses and the surface appearance changes depending on what you're doing. I've only shown keyboard mode in my mockup, but it could also show other things that you may not want cluttering up your screen such as a piano keyboard or turntables for example. It could also become completely blank in order to be a multi-touchpad for cursor operation or for drawing, with exact reference to the screen (since they're the same size). The surface could also include the "keystroke tactility arrangement" patent that skwoytek reminded us of in post 89 so you would know where the keys are without having to look down. Also it could just be black and white to keep things as simple as possible. One or both screens could be OLED.
One of the reasons I would really like to see something like this is for the drawing aspect. I get a bit leery when people say down with the stylus. To a point I can understand as it could maybe take away from the minimalism that is Apple design. But a lot of people attach a mouse to their notebooks/laptops don't they? A stylus is more minimalist than a mouse IMO. On top of that, aren't a lot of Mac users designers and artists? That's the impression I've always had, but maybe things have changed. Usually artists and at least some designers draw a lot. Fingers don't cut it when you want to draw, you need something with a fine tip if you want to do anything besides fingerpainting in your art programs. Besides, somebody needs to give Wacom a run for their money, and I think Apple could do it. I also think Apple could design a nice minimalist stylus and find a way to carry it with the computer far better than PC designs have done.
(Also check out LG's concept "e-book" from 2006 http://www.red-dot.sg/concept/porfolio/06/12pr/ebook.htm. There's another image of this online showing both screens going all the way to the edge since apparently you can do that with OLED.)
I know this was long, thanks for reading.

kontheur
Jan 7, 2008, 06:06 AM
Aha! I was thinking along the same lines as gfair and kontheur (posts 194 and 195).
First, this is not meant to look pretty, it's just a quick mockup to help explain my idea. As in other's previous posts I agree in having the base as a multi-touch surface that is also the exact same size as the screen. I'm not saying an additional screen, but a surface that has multiple uses and the surface appearance changes depending on what you're doing. I've only shown keyboard mode in my mockup, but it could also show other things that you may not want cluttering up your screen such as a piano keyboard or turntables for example. It could also become completely blank in order to be a multi-touchpad for cursor operation or for drawing, with exact reference to the screen (since they're the same size). The surface could also include the "keystroke tactility arrangement" patent that skwoytek reminded us of in post 89 so you would know where the keys are without having to look down. Also it could just be black and white to keep things as simple as possible. One or both screens could be OLED.
One of the reasons I would really like to see something like this is for the drawing aspect. I get a bit leery when people say down with the stylus. To a point I can understand as it could maybe take away from the minimalism that is Apple design. But a lot of people attach a mouse to their notebooks/laptops don't they? A stylus is more minimalist than a mouse IMO. On top of that, aren't a lot of Mac users designers and artists? That's the impression I've always had, but maybe things have changed. Usually artists and at least some designers draw a lot. Fingers don't cut it when you want to draw, you need something with a fine tip if you want to do anything besides fingerpainting in your art programs. Besides, somebody needs to give Wacom a run for their money, and I think Apple could do it. I also think Apple could design a nice minimalist stylus and find a way to carry it with the computer far better than PC designs have done.
(Also check out LG's concept "e-book" from 2006 http://www.red-dot.sg/concept/porfolio/06/12pr/ebook.htm. There's another image of this online showing both screens going all the way to the edge since apparently you can do that with OLED.)
I know this was long, thanks for reading.

I've had exactly the same idea as you, a couple of weeks ago:
http://www.frankreinders.nl/foto/800/macbooktouch.jpg

I know, no tactile feedback, but the guys from Fingerworks are working on it... (braille ?) :p

Pukey
Jan 7, 2008, 06:12 AM
Wow! Nice kontheur, definitely a better looking mock up. Did you do that one?

kontheur
Jan 7, 2008, 06:13 AM
Wow! Nice kontheur, definitely a better looking mock up. Did you do that one?

Yep, is has been posted a couple of times before, sorry about that.

Padraig
Jan 7, 2008, 06:29 AM

That would be an absolute nightmare. I can't think of anything worse than having to type out an essay on that.

gifford
Jan 7, 2008, 06:40 AM
For those against the idea of 'touch screen' keyboards who would miss the tactile nature of the oldskool.
An apple patent a while back attempted to deal with the problem somehow, there was a news article on macrumors or appleinsider about 6 months ago about it. Yet with all the surrounding hype of new data entry methods I have surprisingly not seen it mentioned since.

MrCrowbar
Jan 7, 2008, 06:45 AM

I know, no tactile feedback, but the guys from Fingerworks are working on it... (braille ?) :p

That thing looks awesome- Gongrats. I would love that thing.

Palad1
Jan 7, 2008, 07:22 AM
E-Ink.

double8
Jan 7, 2008, 07:32 AM
I'm just curious about ultra thin ports that Apple has patent it few months ago. i believe that patent is for this ultra portable Macbook Pro too. Just wonder how apple Dev team work with that patent.

I WAS the one
Jan 7, 2008, 08:06 AM
Remember my words. A Multitouch Sub Notebook will not and I mean NOT be announce at MacWorld Expo. Don't let it grow. it will not come. not yet. too early to bring a device that stops the iPhone having more sales. A Small Mac Book yes. thats all. sorry

tgildred
Jan 7, 2008, 08:38 AM
Like this?

A customizable tablet?

Oh, they could use that "I Touch Myself" song for the commercial. Perfect!

gotohamish
Jan 7, 2008, 08:40 AM
Remember my words. A Multitouch Sub Notebook will not and I mean NOT be announce at MacWorld Expo. Don't let it grow. it will not come. not yet. too early to bring a device that stops the iPhone having more sales. A Small Mac Book yes. thats all. sorry

... not to mention it would be far too large to hold up to your ear when making a... oh wait, it's a notebook computer, not a phone! :rolleyes::p

iMJustAGuy
Jan 7, 2008, 08:41 AM

are you steve jobs?!!?:eek::eek:

kontheur
Jan 7, 2008, 08:54 AM
are you steve jobs?!!?:eek::eek:
LMAO!! :D

muncyweb
Jan 7, 2008, 10:06 AM
What is the point of the gigantic track pad? That thing's insane!

kingkombucha
Jan 7, 2008, 10:11 AM
Ok, I know this is only a modification to this (http://www.applesfera.com/2007/12/30-el-nuevo-macbook-pro-imaginado-por-un-lector) pic but I'd be very impressed by a MBP with a touchscreen trackpad. Maybe something like this:

iMJustAGuy
Jan 7, 2008, 10:16 AM
Ok, I know this is only a modification to this (http://www.applesfera.com/2007/12/30-el-nuevo-macbook-pro-imaginado-por-un-lector) pic but I'd be very impressed by a MBP with a touchscreen trackpad. Maybe something like this:

yes but what purpose would specifically this serve?

MLeepson
Jan 7, 2008, 10:24 AM

What if the whole bottom part where the track pad, and it changed to a keyboard (like in the picture) when a keyboard is needed? Remember there was that patent for backlights under the track pad: http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/16/apple-developing-backlit-trackpad/

iMJustAGuy
Jan 7, 2008, 10:26 AM

so awesome. but not gunna happen.. imo.

brucebrendon
Jan 7, 2008, 10:47 AM
remember this from '06

http://www.macrumors.com/2006/11/16/patent-for-configurable-input-system-emerges/

mmm...

CWallace
Jan 7, 2008, 11:10 AM

Aesthetically, this is what I am talking about. :)

However, instead of it just being an Al band, I'd like to see how it would work if the Al extended back and covered the lid and bottom.

So it's "all Al" when closed and "all black" when opened.

bikertwin
Jan 7, 2008, 12:41 PM
Apple's monitor line is long overdue for an update.

The recent patent shows a monitor (gutless iMac) as a docking station.

What if Apple announced a new line of monitors that were all docking stations? It wouldn't cost that much, and would allow them to keep their premium prices for their monitors.

That way they wouldn't have to have a line of monitors and a line of docking stations--they are one and the same.

Music8Guyz
Jan 7, 2008, 02:07 PM

What if Apple announced a new line of monitors that were all docking stations? It wouldn't cost that much, and would allow them to keep their premium prices for their monitors.

That way they wouldn't have to have a line of monitors and a line of docking stations--they are one and the same.

The idea is novel, but I'm not sure it would go over that well, imo. I'm not sure that everyone wants a monitor that looks like an imac, as opposed to the current style (or a new visual style) that looks different from the imac.

Assuming they did go ahead with a monitor/docking station combo though, I believe they'd have to include a switching method (similar to switching between VGA and DVI on some monitors) so that end-users could select whether they want the display to show the docked computer, or whether it should show the video input from another computer, such as a mac pro.

CWallace
Jan 7, 2008, 02:09 PM

What if Apple announced a new line of monitors that were all docking stations?

That would raise costs and complexity. I expect the next generation of Cinema Displays to be only displays.

headfuzz
Jan 7, 2008, 02:19 PM
See my original message. Number 115 on page 5.

Pic in NOTW is leeched from ZDNet;

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/images/apple-tablet-concept-pixel-mojo.jpg

ZDNet confirms this is a concept mock up by Pixel Mojo.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=356

http://www.pixelmojo.com/Home.html

I wonder if NOTW paid him any money; evidently they didn't credit him... :rolleyes:

bikertwin
Jan 7, 2008, 06:26 PM
Assuming they did go ahead with a monitor/docking station combo though, I believe they'd have to include a switching method (similar to switching between VGA and DVI on some monitors) so that end-users could select whether they want the display to show the docked computer, or whether it should show the video input from another computer, such as a mac pro.

Interesting idea. Knowing Apple, though, they'd make this automatic--whichever input was "hot" (active) would be the one it would display.

That would raise costs and complexity. I expect the next generation of Cinema Displays to be only displays.

Well which is more expensive--having a line of 20, 23, and 30-inch monitors and a corresponding line of 20, 23, and 30-inch docking stations?--or having them all wrapped up into one line?

Another way Apple would coerce you into buying their monitors/dockingstations would be to have a custom connector on the new tablet/MacBookNano so that the only way to display external video would be to use an Apple monitor/dock. Not pocketbook-friendly, but very Apple. ;)

Digital Skunk
Jan 7, 2008, 07:30 PM
Pic in NOTW is leeched from ZDNet;

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/images/apple-tablet-concept-pixel-mojo.jpg

ZDNet confirms this is a concept mock up by Pixel Mojo.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=356

http://www.pixelmojo.com/Home.html

I wonder if NOTW paid him any money; evidently they didn't credit him... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't put my name on that POS.

And let's not rehash the Titanium PowerBook okay.... I don't think design will bring Apple out of the stagnant state their hardware is in.

(L)
Jan 7, 2008, 08:23 PM
It'd actually be kinda annoying if Apple came out with anything conceptually close to these laptops or touch display style keyboards, since those retractable dots that we read about in that one patent (sorry no link) seemed to indicate that the whole point was to allow for a touchscreen keyboard that would be there only on demand, like in a tablet, not a laptop keyboard, which doesn't need to go on or off on demand.

Plus, if you hadn't noticed, trackpads are already touch technology, and register multiple fingers. Adding pinch/zoom and rotate or such doesn't mean it needs to be wider. So what might Apple mean by wanting wider trackpads that know when your hands are just resting on them?

My guess is that by "wider," what is meant is actually that the laptop (I don't think we're seeing a tablet, or giant iPhone, etc) will appear to have no trackpad. That whole area will be lined with multitouch sensors, though it'll look like a blank surface. Probably no images. The keyboard itself will still be physical, since it doesn't make sense for the keyboard to disappear if it's not making room for anything new. Steve will come out and say "Hey, where'd we put the trackpad? Do I need to fire somebody?" We'll all say hohoho and buy the thinnest lightest laptop around. Maybe all laptops will have this type of trackpad.

CWallace
Jan 7, 2008, 09:02 PM
Well which is more expensive--having a line of 20, 23, and 30-inch monitors and a corresponding line of 20, 23, and 30-inch docking stations?--or having them all wrapped up into one line?

For the end-user, it will definitely be more expensive to be forced to have a monitor with a docking station - especially when it's connected only to a Mac Pro or Mac Mini. So those users would eschew the "docking monitor" and buy third-party units. Also, users of MacBook (Pro) units that don't fit inside that dock would also be forced to buy more monitor then they need or buy third-party.

And for Apple, since they deal in such small volumes, anyway, it might very well be less expensive to have both since they can tailor production to demand and not worry about trying to push an unpopular model using price cuts and rebates.

Another way Apple would coerce you into buying their monitors/dockingstations would be to have a custom connector on the new tablet/MacBookNano so that the only way to display external video would be to use an Apple monitor/dock. Not pocketbook-friendly, but very Apple. ;)

Apple has, to their credit, moved away from that kind of anti-customer nonsense. :)

I expect the next Cinema Displays to at least support HDMI in addition to DVI, and hopefully DisplayPort, as well. :cool:

jdmlight
Jan 7, 2008, 09:44 PM
I expect the next Cinema Displays to at least support HDMI in addition to DVI, and hopefully DisplayPort, as well. :cool:
It'd be really cool if the docking station had HDMI...then I could actually consider buying a PS3 or (shudder) a 360, cuz currently the best connection I have into my iMac is S-video through an Elgato EyeTV Hybrid.

Dreaming more, the dock could have a TV tuner, component inputs, S-video inputs, composite inputs, and :apple: tv style media streaming...enabling the dock to have a use when the MacBook nano isn't inside it...

gfair
Jan 8, 2008, 12:57 AM
Like this?

A customizable tablet?

Yes and no. I had in mind a laptop keyboard, not a desktop one. For a desktop keyboard, I'd imagine it to be thicker. Slim doesn't make any substantive difference on the desktop.

As for the item with two OLED tablets, I had in mind a clamshell / tablet design where you could fold out the two screens flat to form a bigger, 16:9 screen. Each half would be 8:9 aspect ratio in length x width, something square enough. You could watch movies in 16:9, or switch to watching them on one screen, while doing other apps on the other screen (messaging, checking calendar, etc).

gfair
Jan 8, 2008, 01:04 AM

It might... that iPod Touch song has strong sexual undertones. The song is called "Music is my hot, hot sex".

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7q5TIuya4FM

gfair
Jan 8, 2008, 01:16 AM
Call me old fashioned, but for me only keyboards with tactile feedback are to some degree usable keyboards (varying resulting in different keyboards where I just pick by personal preference)

If you think about it, the useable keyboards are the ones that always press the right button no matter what your fingers fumble over. Keyboards with keys don't offer that option. Hit a key on edge and you may either not get it at all, or you may hit it and the one next to it. Touchscreen keyboards offer the benefit of technology to analyze your strike pattern and see if you intended to hit a key or not, and can rule it out.

So ultimately, back to how I started, the most useful keyboard is one that is forgiving of your mistakes, it doesn't matter whether you have to actually press the keys or not.

Besides, as great as OLEDs are, considering that Sony is shipping the XEL-1 (an 11" (!) OLED TV) for $2500 it might come in a tad expensive, don't you think?

No, I don't think that. For one, Apple is producing a keyboard, not a TV. Most of the surface will be dark, the resolution requirements are minimal, and it doesn't need 1 million : 1 contrast and brightness to look good. It's being done with the Optimus keyboard already, on a limited basis. Just don't assume that Apple would design something as ugly and unpolished.

Edit: Samsung is displaying OLED displays up to 31" at CES 2008

See: http://www.anandtech.com/GalleryImage.aspx?id=62

Pukey
Jan 8, 2008, 02:24 AM

Actually, they should have used that song for the 2007 MWSF keynote. Presenting the iPhone, Jobs kept going on about "Touch your music." I didn't know whether to laugh or cringe.

It might... that iPod Touch song has strong sexual undertones. The song is called "Music is my hot, hot sex".

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7q5TIuya4FM

Hahaha! Funny to think that apparently that song was used in a Zune commercial in 2006. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Is_My_Hot_Hot_Sex

John Purple
Jan 8, 2008, 06:24 AM
Apple has to do something revolutionary about the user interface as it has done with the mouse or with WYSIWYG ages ago - or with the iPod and the iPhone.
Only getting faster, slimer, cooler will not help to leave MS behind in the long run. Others will do faster, slimer, cooler etc. for less money (I agree that OSX is still somewhat better than all WINs, but not sooooo much better, Apple was in the past).
For most people out in the streets even OSX is far to complicated to use (Take a look around you, next time you go to town :cool:). If Apple wants to win the battle in the consumer market (that's why they hired that Avon lady yesterday for their board??) with products interesting for all of those who are still not willing or able to become computer freaks (e.g. 'all-in-one' products: internet, tv, radio, movie-on-demand, frige-control :rolleyes: ...and computer, books-on-demand .......) Steve will have to speed up, creating a really new fool-proof interface concept and starting it on the 'pro' - product line. Technology is available nowadays.

mcrain
Jan 8, 2008, 10:49 AM

Alpine has a touchscreen head unit for cars that utilizes some sort of electrical conduction to give feedback to touch screens. I've used it, and it's actually fairly interesting and useful.

M

Pukey
Jan 8, 2008, 03:13 PM
Only getting faster, slimer, cooler will not help to leave MS behind in the long run. Others will do faster, slimer, cooler etc. for less money (I agree that OSX is still somewhat better than all WINs, but not sooooo much better, Apple was in the past).

I agree with the point about slimmer computers. I really don't see what the absolutely-must-have need is for always something slimmer. Slimmer doesn't always = better IMO. If Apple could find a different way to cool things more efficiently besides a fan, I'd say go for it. But since fans are the norm now, thinner only seems to cause overheating issues. I really don't know why Apple keeps trying to go thinner and why consumers keep expecting it. A 1" MBP is plenty thin. I wouldn't mind if it was even a bit thicker if it would help resolve overheating issues.

stephen =D
Jan 8, 2008, 04:29 PM
heyy

does anyone else just want a macbook tht is a wee bit thinner than the one that is already out.

i dont want a fancy touch screen keyboard or anything

Also i want an internal disc drive

im probably as well buying teh current macbook

:apple:

adrake86
Jan 8, 2008, 06:28 PM
heyy

does anyone else just want a macbook tht is a wee bit thinner than the one that is already out.

i dont want a fancy touch screen keyboard or anything

Also i want an internal disc drive

im probably as well buying teh current macbook

:apple:

I personally am very happy with the way my macbook looks. The thinner the more expensive it will get. Yes I know the new models will be out jan. 15th and will probably be thinner but my current macbook works great for me no matter how thick or thin it is. Its kind of like most americans don't we all wish we were a bit thinner. :)

charliebigspuds
Jan 8, 2008, 07:42 PM
Keep your eye out for the new 9" Apple Tablet with integrated touch screen keyboard, onboard optical drive & Flash memory, hardly any moving parts, comes with a dock so you can hook it up to an external monitor, keyboard & mouse. " Its just a rumor " ;)

xtraa
Jan 8, 2008, 07:51 PM
Hi,

this is my mockup concept suggestion of how an ultraflat multitouch
MacBook should or could look like.

It may be a little painful to type on the LED Multitouch HID in the first days,
but I think if we face the possiblities it would be very much worth it.

Imagine to simply swap your keyboard away with a finger, and slide in your
DJ mixer decks or your piano or whatever the application wants to.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/3882/newmacbookit6.jpg

I also made a little fanart for the sig out of it, just in case that someone
likes it :)

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/2522/newmacbooksigui3.jpg

Kentucky Mac
Jan 8, 2008, 08:02 PM

Very nice concept picture.

I think i'm in the market for a new 17" MBP and what are the chances that they may add a numeric pad at least to the 17" MBP. I know I use it quite frequently and feel lost when I take my notebook from using a external keyboard to using the keyboad on the notebook itself. It seems several manufaturers are adding the numeric pad to at least one of their 17" models.

Pukey
Jan 8, 2008, 08:03 PM
xtraa, see posts 193-195.

CWallace
Jan 8, 2008, 08:07 PM
Hi, this is my mockup concept suggestion of how an ultraflat multitouch MacBook should or could look like.

Good effort. I'd very much like to get a numpad back on the MacBook Pro, since I use it so often on my iMac.

David G.
Jan 8, 2008, 08:13 PM
You've all (well, maybe not all of you) gone from realistic ideas as to what could happen to totally going off the deep end with the ideas that sprung up in the later pages of this thread. I'm not saying they're bad or anything, but the chances of any of them happening are extremely slim to none.

Just my 0.02$,

David G.

Pukey
Jan 8, 2008, 08:14 PM
Hi,

this is my mockup concept suggestion of how an ultraflat multitouch
MacBook should or could look like.

xtraa, that is a good mockup. A lot better than mine!

t0mat0
Jan 8, 2008, 08:20 PM
Apple has to do something revolutionary about the user interface as it has done with the mouse or with WYSIWYG ages ago - or with the iPod and the iPhone.

<snip> Steve will have to speed up, creating a really new fool-proof interface concept and starting it on the 'pro' - product line. Technology is available nowadays.

Have you seen http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/08/forget-about-the-mouse-use-your-hands-with-the-zcam-from-3dv/
DEpth perception and 3d image creation from what is in effect a usb 2 webcam.

I think the Wii has softened up the market for using other UIs, alongside the iPhone. Apple I believe is going to run with this, with Windows Mobile 7 snapping at its heels.

Which will win over? Voice, touch, physical gesture? Id go with a mixture, with touch first, voice there for car integration (music / phone calls ?(or even long trips you could get your emails read to you? via voice recognition to traverse the menus?). Physical gestures will follow on rapidly (and i imagine it'll get snapped up very rapidly by Nintendo).

After the iPhone, Apple could scale up a device any size screen (1 inch to say 30 inches or more) in a similar fashion. The art is in making a range of products with only a few in the range for simplicity.

xtraa
Jan 8, 2008, 08:26 PM
xtraa, see posts 193-195.

Aah thanks and ...wow! These are some real good ideas, I really like them. :)

You've all (well, maybe not all of you) gone from realistic ideas as to what could happen to totally going off the deep end with the ideas that sprung up in the later pages of this thread. I'm not saying they're bad or anything, but the chances of any of them happening are extremely slim to none.

Personally I think the multitouch is just straight to Apples iphone design
concept and it could be a possible or consequent way to enhance the HID
device as we know it. I mean the possibilities would take the whole thing to a complete new level.

andy721
Jan 8, 2008, 09:14 PM
Well Apple two years ago was into white plastic, so it actually does look "Appleish". :D

way to post something without leopard, how lame!
Stop dreaming people.

MacRonin
Jan 8, 2008, 10:37 PM
Imagine to simply swap your keyboard away with a finger, and slide in your
DJ mixer decks or your piano or whatever the application wants to.

Obviously the keyboard section of your concept comes from here…

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus-tactus/

I am too lazy to search for the posts, but Apple has patents in on this very idea…

xtraa
Jan 9, 2008, 02:46 AM

I am too lazy to search for the posts, but Apple has patents in on this very idea…

Yup, I think eveyone knows the optimus keyboard, since it is around for about
a year now.

The difference is just to have it integrated in a notebook, without switching to
the Tablet-PC mono concept. Imho no one wants to type where he looks at.

Billy Bob
Jan 9, 2008, 12:33 PM

Well I'll look at it this way; it can't be any worse the the current macbook keyboard

Roessnakhan
Jan 9, 2008, 12:52 PM
Well I'll look at it this way; it can't be any worse the the current macbook keyboard

Speak for yourself, I loved my first MacBook's keyboard.

Digital Skunk
Jan 9, 2008, 12:52 PM
I think the optimus keyboard was a bit too far fetched when it was conceived. It's nice, but very impractical for the price, hence the reason MT would take off if put into a keyboard.

As for the black book photo at the bottom, it's nice and it looks like a 17" model due to the extended keyboard. It would buy it because it's different, but I am hoping for a real keyboard and MT trackpad. And I am hoping for a slightly thicker case design to allow for the bigger professional parts that NEED to be in the next 17" model.

p.s. that design looks an awful lot like the Sony Vaio models as well.

waterskier2007
Jan 9, 2008, 01:09 PM
everyone keeps posting things with the touchpad on the keyboard, but this is not that good of an idea. the nice part about the iphone is that u see where your fingers are pressing, so its better response. if the touch pad was on the keyboard, it would mean that you could not be as accurate with the touches. this is why i dont like a keyboard "mounted" touchpad

Digital Skunk
Jan 9, 2008, 01:41 PM
everyone keeps posting things with the touchpad on the keyboard, but this is not that good of an idea. the nice part about the iphone is that u see where your fingers are pressing, so its better response. if the touch pad was on the keyboard, it would mean that you could not be as accurate with the touches. this is why i dont like a keyboard "mounted" touchpad

I agree, but there are some people out there that just don't get it, and would rather have some cool Star Trek looking laptop instead of one that worked. They will claim that the keyboard can shock you to give you tactile feedback or there could be humps underneath of it but none of those will substitute for a real keyboard, none are as effective either.

Honestly, the only breakthrough that Apple better put in the MBPs had better be between dual HDD slots 17", more FW ports, a redesigned case, and/or a multi-touch trackpad for the gadget fans.

waterskier2007
Jan 9, 2008, 02:59 PM
I agree, but there are some people out there that just don't get it, and would rather have some cool Star Trek looking laptop instead of one that worked. They will claim that the keyboard can shock you to give you tactile feedback or there could be humps underneath of it but none of those will substitute for a real keyboard, none are as effective either.

Honestly, the only breakthrough that Apple better put in the MBPs had better be between dual HDD slots 17", more FW ports, a redesigned case, and/or a multi-touch trackpad for the gadget fans.

that would be some good update. im not in the market for a new laptop currently, im fine with my blackBook. but it would be cool seeing some of that stuff

t0mat0
Jan 9, 2008, 06:42 PM
Has anyone checked out the CES's zcam? If this is real, and working. It's cool as hell (Alienware monitor cool). Think a webcam which has depth perception (like a topographical map) of whats in front of it at 50 fps. then adds on physical body gesture recognition.

The video tells it all:
The Wii without the remote, Minority Report without the gloves:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/zcam-depth-camera-could-be-wii-challenger/zcam-3d-camera-is-like-wii-without-wiimote-and-minority-report-without-gloves-334426.php

So we're used to integrated iSights, right? If the guys' demo is fully capable for market at that level, if I was a VC i'd snap these guys right up, and patent to the hilt. Voice is a while away, this is <a year away from beta/gaming beta.

"The camera has sensors that are able to measure the depth for each of the captured pixels using a principle called Time-Of-Flight. It gets 3D information "by emitting pulses of infra-red light to all objects in the scene and sensing the reflected light from the surface of each object." The objects in the scene are then ordered in layers in the Z axis, which gives you a grayscale depth map that a game or any software application can use.

According to manufacturer 3DV Systems, the depth resolution is quite good: it can detect 3D motion and volume down to 0.4 inches, capturing at the same time full color, 1.3 megapixel video at 60 frames per second. While there have been professional cameras with depth capture in the past, this is the first time that a device of such characteristics is cheap enough to be built into any game system or computer."

Green screen without the green. Kinematics. Think Wii boxing a metre apart head to head with a friend. Instead of an expensive remote, you could use some cheap as chips plastic dummy handset/racing wheel/boxing gloves..

Digital Skunk
Jan 9, 2008, 07:13 PM
Has anyone checked out the CES's zcam? If this is real, and working. It's cool as hell (Alienware monitor cool). Think a webcam which has depth perception (like a topographical map) of whats in front of it at 50 fps. then adds on physical body gesture recognition.

The video tells it all:
The Wii without the remote, Minority Report without the gloves:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/zcam-depth-camera-could-be-wii-challenger/zcam-3d-camera-is-like-wii-without-wiimote-and-minority-report-without-gloves-334426.php

So we're used to integrated iSights, right? If the guys' demo is fully capable for market at that level, if I was a VC i'd snap these guys right up, and patent to the hilt. Voice is a while away, this is <a year away from beta/gaming beta.

"The camera has sensors that are able to measure the depth for each of the captured pixels using a principle called Time-Of-Flight. It gets 3D information "by emitting pulses of infra-red light to all objects in the scene and sensing the reflected light from the surface of each object." The objects in the scene are then ordered in layers in the Z axis, which gives you a grayscale depth map that a game or any software application can use.

According to manufacturer 3DV Systems, the depth resolution is quite good: it can detect 3D motion and volume down to 0.4 inches, capturing at the same time full color, 1.3 megapixel video at 60 frames per second. While there have been professional cameras with depth capture in the past, this is the first time that a device of such characteristics is cheap enough to be built into any game system or computer."

Green screen without the green. Kinematics. Think Wii boxing a metre apart head to head with a friend. Instead of an expensive remote, you could use some cheap as chips plastic dummy handset/racing wheel/boxing gloves..

Very cool. I can see Microsoft and other PC vendors utilizing this first, at a very expensive price point, then Apple may intro a more practical version. I can't see people using that type of UI in a crowded coffee shop. Students dancing around like fools rushing to finish their term papers in a computer lab.

t0mat0
Jan 11, 2008, 10:32 AM
Very cool. I can see Microsoft and other PC vendors utilizing this first, at a very expensive price point, then Apple may intro a more practical version. I can't see people using that type of UI in a crowded coffee shop. Students dancing around like fools rushing to finish their term papers in a computer lab.

Think also games arcades, fplaces that already have those hydraulic flight simulators. They could sync this to medical uses (think keyhole surgery practicals for med students) . and that's not even starting to think about Defense budgets...
The thing baout the UI is that you can use a slice of air around you - e.g. 1ft to 2ft away fromthe camera, 2 ft wide 2 ft tall. So it doesn't get any erroneous info from the people behind you etc.

i'd put down a fiver to play boxing/ fighter pilot playing if they hooked this to a PS3!