PDA

View Full Version : macpro or macbook pro?

mlecho
Jan 5, 2008, 09:19 PM
hi- i am an interactive developer. i work mostly in Flash, Photoshop, occasionally in illustrator, and a few other Adobe products. Video work is rare at best. My core need, is a machine that will move quickly throughout these apps, manage two monitors, and have minimal rendering time. I usually have about 10 apps open at a time (ranging from the named above to simple text editors, calendars, browswers, etc) Obviously a desktop macpro is the fastest direction i can go, but i have always worked on a laptop for that occasional mobility. In today's world, the mobility has transitioned almost completely to thumbdrives or quick ftp uploads. In your opinions, can the macbook pro still do what i want without a spinning beachball? What else do i need to think about? I like the idea of keeping that mobility, but also like the idea of so much RAM options and added hds.

thanks

Pressure
Jan 5, 2008, 09:58 PM
The MacBook Pro cannot power two external monitors, so you are left with the Mac Pro in that regard.

If on the road you do not need all that power, the new MacBook might do the trick while having a Mac Pro at home for the more processor intensive task.

When I use Photoshop and other Adobe programs I can very clearly hear the internal fans in my MacBook Pro getting a good work-out. Annoying ;)

mlecho
Jan 5, 2008, 10:47 PM
thanks...sorry, i meant only 1 external monitor...i would use the laptop itself as the 2nd

heatmiser
Jan 5, 2008, 11:01 PM
It always comes down to whether you want a laptop or a desktop. The stats don't matter, as you'll rationalize your decision in either direction depending on whether you inherently want a laptop or a desktop. Save yourself some time, and just decide that. :^)

jnc
Jan 5, 2008, 11:14 PM
The MacBook Pro cannot power two external monitors, so you are left with the Mac Pro in that regard.

I've seen on these very forums someone running two monitors on an MBP - they were treated as one, continuous display by the OS. Must have required some sort of extra peripheral, but definitely possible :)

Pressure
Jan 6, 2008, 07:20 AM
I've seen on these very forums someone running two monitors on an MBP - they were treated as one, continuous display by the OS. Must have required some sort of extra peripheral, but definitely possible :)

I know Matrox has a device that can do that but they are expensive. Nothing everyday users would invest in and the resolution was limited.