PDA

View Full Version : Powermac G4 -- Gaming System?

macgeek77
Jan 5, 2008, 10:30 PM
I have a powermac g4 (400 MHz) running Classic. People have said to me I can use it as a great Classic gaming machine. What games can run on Classic that anyone might recommend? I think it is running 384MB of RAM. Also...how safe was Classic (i guess as compared to X)? Would anyone reccommend any safty measures I could take with Classic? Thanks!

Lord Blackadder
Jan 5, 2008, 10:35 PM
Though viruses do exist for Mac OS 9.x, the risk of infection is pretty low...I never got a virus over 7 years of using OS 7.x through 9.x.

As far as gaming in classic goes, my games of choice were Diablo II, Myth: the Fallen Lords, Myth 2: Soulblighter, and Unreal Tournament (also called Unreal Tournament 99 or UT99). Starcraft was and is popular. Baldur's Gate was also good if you are into that genre.

yippy
Jan 5, 2008, 11:06 PM
I would also recommend the Myst series and the older Sim games (Sim City 2000/3000) are good.

CanadaRAM
Jan 5, 2008, 11:16 PM
Just note that newer games, including any Sims titles released in the last 2 - 3 years, will likely not run on this.

Eidorian
Jan 5, 2008, 11:18 PM
Surprisingly enough I have a collection of late Mac OS games.

Voyager Elite Force <3

MacsRgr8
Jan 7, 2008, 05:35 PM
Problem with that series G4 was the poor grfx card (hey... have we seen this more with Apple? :D).
The standard ATi Rage 128 (Pro) was horrid.

If you can, try to get hold of a very cheap, but better grfx card.
Got PCI grfx?
- 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 Mac ediiton (so cool, but I assume hard to get)
- ATi Radeon 7000

Got AGP grfx?
- ATi Radeon 8500 or 9000

If you got one of those cards, I can recommend these Mac OS 9.x games:
- Unreal
- Unreal Tournament
- Quake 2
- Quake 3
- Carmageddon 2

Lord Blackadder
Jan 7, 2008, 05:56 PM
Problem with that series G4 was the poor grfx card (hey... have we seen this more with Apple? :D).
The standard ATi Rage 128 (Pro) was horrid.

If you can, try to get hold of a very cheap, but better grfx card.

I depends on the model - some PowerMac G4s could be configured with the the GeForce 3, Radeon 9800 PRO or Geforce 4Ti (4600Ti to PC users). These cards were very powerful in their day and are still useful for most games 3-4 years old.

I was able to flash a GeForce 6800GT for my PowerMac G4 and it provides all the performance a G4 could ever take advantage of (see link in sig).