PDA

View Full Version : G3, G4, G5

marwen
Jan 6, 2008, 12:39 AM
Q) What makes a particular computer to be designated a G3, or a G4, etc?

Q) I have a G3 - can it be made into a G4 or a G5?

Q) The old apple tower G3 -- 350 clock speed
Can this be sped at all?

Q) If I only have 350MHz -- what can be done to make this horse go giddiup?

marwen

Eidorian
Jan 6, 2008, 12:46 AM
1. The processor
2. You can upgrade to a G4 but it's not worth your money
3. It's possible to overclock it
4. Once more it depends on the model

It's not really worth your time and money.

iPhil
Jan 6, 2008, 12:48 AM
Q) What makes a particular computer to be designated a G3, or a G4, etc?

Q) I have a G3 - can it be made into a G4 or a G5?

Q) The old apple tower G3 -- 350 clock speed
Can this be sped at all?

marwen

The G3 PowerMac is obsolete.. if it's 350 mhz..

If you wanna look @ processor upgrades (http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?model=41&type=Processor&TI=4453&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades)

OrangeSVTguy
Jan 6, 2008, 04:11 AM
no matter how fast of a processor you put into it. the bus will keep tied down.

surflordca
Jan 6, 2008, 05:01 AM
Q)

marwen

No since shooting a dead horse. Just bury it. No more giddiup in that beast :mad:

Eidorian
Jan 6, 2008, 05:03 AM
No since shooting a dead horse. Just bury it. No more giddiup in that beast :mad:Which is probably what I should have said.

Techguy172
Jan 6, 2008, 08:37 AM
no matter how fast of a processor you put into it. the bus will keep tied down.

Exactly, It's not worth it.

iBookJon
Jan 6, 2008, 01:39 PM
if you not looking to do amazing computing on it its still a good mac, i have a B&W with a 350mhz g3 and 640mb of ram and it does everything fine. i have CS2 on it and it holds up and does everything i need. No it wont compare with a new intel but its not the end of the world. and it runs tiger amazing i haven't had a problem yet and this is my main computer im using. people seem to be getting upgrade happy in my option, but if i wasn't a broke 17 year old i think i would upgrade to =]

SubaruNation555
Jan 6, 2008, 01:47 PM
My family's old G3 is running fine with 768MB RAM, 120GB HDD and a PowerLogix 1GHz upgrade card. It sits upstairs in the guest room and can surf the web, office and some Photoshop stuff and run 10.4. If you want to spend a couple of hundred dollars for RAM and stuff then it can do the basics. Not to mention its been rock solid its whole life. Some may say it's not worth it and it may not be but if you want to keep it and speed it up then there are some options just don't expect anything glamorous.

Graphis
Jan 6, 2008, 05:48 PM
If the computer works fine for what you want, and what you want doesn't change, then even an old one will do just fine. The problems only really start when you want to do more with it, and you find it can't cope.

I know a writer who still works on a Mac Classic (running Mac OS 6 or 7, I think): it's got word processing software, and that's about it. He's networked, so he can send his work across a network, and that's all he's ever done with it, and is likely to do. He's never updated it, it still works fine, has never had a single problem.

That is just his "writing" machine though: he has another Mac for surfing, email etc.