PDA

View Full Version : Christmas came early for my Powermac!

Peyote
Oct 8, 2003, 01:59 PM
Just bought a few upgrades for my baby (Quicksilver 800)

256 Mb of Ram (total is now 768)
20 GB firewire HDD
Belkin Ipod FM Transmitter (for playing my mp3's through my home stereo)
PCI USB 2.0 Card

Next upgrades will be:

Epson Perfection 2400 scanner
Epson 1280 Printer
OWC 1.42 Ghz Processor Upgrade

By the way, I just got my wife to switch! We recently added a 15" iMac to our Family. I'm loving the networking and shared broadband. The iMac replaces an old Sony Vaio tower that was 233 Mhz, 16 MB ram, and a 33.6 external parrallel port modem using AOL! HAHAHAHAHA! That thing was such a piece of crap.

ColoJohnBoy
Oct 19, 2003, 10:58 AM
Congratulations dude! Sounds awesome. Now you just have to rid yourself of that TI notebook.......... Perhaps a new PowerBook would be in order ;)

crazzyeddie
Oct 19, 2003, 11:21 AM
That 1.42ghz Processor upgrade will be nice :D

Hope you enjoy the iMac too.

Dont Hurt Me
Oct 19, 2003, 01:08 PM
glad to hear the news and would also consider the 1.33 i think that is the best value or even 1.25 anyways your wife should be very happy, hope you are loading up on songs and photo's and games for her. just to mention i threw a 1.4 owc in my quicksilver 733 which i had overclocked to 800. i now run the 1.4 at 1.33 for longevity (you know how apple loves massive heat sinks and there is a reason) so consider it & and video card one day and your quicksilver will take you another couple of years or more.:cool:

Peyote
Oct 19, 2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
glad to hear the news and would also consider the 1.33 i think that is the best value or even 1.25 anyways your wife should be very happy, hope you are loading up on songs and photo's and games for her. just to mention i threw a 1.4 owc in my quicksilver 733 which i had overclocked to 800. i now run the 1.4 at 1.33 for longevity (you know how apple loves massive heat sinks and there is a reason) so consider it & and video card one day and your quicksilver will take you another couple of years or more.:cool:

How are you liking your upgrade? Is the difference in speed noticeable? Was it worth the price paid?

Thanks

Dont Hurt Me
Oct 19, 2003, 05:08 PM
I like the upgrade a lot, its been very solid and i have no sleep issues. helped out a lot in games and opening programs. i play nascar 2002,RTCW,UT2003 & 4x4 Evoc2 while playing itunes. my video card is outdated somewhat geforce3. if only Ati would put ADC on the 9800. i think the upgrades are a great way to extend those g4 Quicksilvers. still a little expensive but a heck of a lot cheaper then a new machine and starting over with memory,video cards etc. heck i havent yet max out my memory only at a gig so there is nothing like being able to grow and expand your computer. next purchase for me will be a new Alchemy pci video card for my powermac so i wont have to get off my fat butt to watch football,nascar etc. love my quicksilver also.