Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

delude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
UK
UPDATE
I would REALLY appericate if a few more people could at least go to http://www.ipodtest.notlong.com on their touch and tell me if in the bottom left corner or the middle right they can see a dotted black.

UPDATE

Please can I ask a few people to help me out, and test something?
Can you go to YouTube on your iPod Touch and search 'batman begins'. Then go on the third one down, which is 02:08 in length and is hosted by 'daneimp'. Please can you watch the video and tell me if any of the black or dark colours are shown as dots, like the picture of the battery image that cjmal posted frther down. Please especially look at the shaded side of the womans face on the left side of the screen at 00:47. Also when the dude whips the cape out a dotted black can be seen on my iPod Touch.

I would be so grateful if a few people could do this, and tell me the week of their iPod and if they too can see the dots like in cjmals battery picture.

Also, could you go to http://www.ipodtest.notlong.com and feedback on if the bottom left corner and middle right is sort of grainy, with dotted blacks.

Thanks!

Hey everybody.

I have a 45-week 16gb iPod Touch, which I thought was perfect until I started to watch a few vids. There was also a website somewhere which I browsed in safari to check the screens contrast etc, and all seemed to be great.

So...here's the point of the thread. Is the negative black issue when the dark/black parts of the screen are shown as dots? Like different colours? I'm not sure if it’s just the quality of the videos but on the darker parts of videos the black is often made of lots of dots, or squares filled with dots randomly placed everywhere. I would make a video but I don't think it would be clear enough, like all of the other videos I have seen when I have searched 'Negative Black'.

Should I contact Apple? (Something I REALLY didn't want to do and fuss about)

Thanks

EDIT: I suppose if there is an issue then it would be better to solve it sooner so that I wouldn't have to worry about a firmware that couldn't be downgraded.

CorTeX

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2008
France
Well it looks like the shadows or light effects looks bad, like the halo around the battery when the ipod is wired ...

delude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
UK
I've only really just noticed but there are two glows around the battery when mine is hooked up. One at the top left diagonal and one to the top right. If I look closely they are both dotted at the edge.

cjmal

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
Delude, this is what negative blacks look like
ff.jpg
DSCN6017-3.jpg

Cortex, I think you have a contrast problem. Does it look similar to this image?
bat1am8vc8.jpg

delude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
UK
Thanks very much cjmal. Are the pictures on the top what they are meant to look like? My battery looks like the other picture you posted, and those sort of dots or pixels also seem to be present with darker colours. I'll try to take a video and post it.

EDIT: Okay, I've tried recording my Touch with my Digital Camera and Video Camera but neither make the picture come out too good.

Please can I ask a few people to help me out, and test something?
Can you go to YouTube on your iPod Touch and search 'batman begins'. Then go on the third one down, which is 02:08 in length and is hosted by 'daneimp'. Please can you watch the video and tell me if any of the black or dark colours are shown as dots, like the picture of the battery image that cjmal posted above. Please especially look at the shaded side of the womans face on the left side of the screen at 00:47. Also when the dude whips the cape out a dotted black can be seen on my iPod Touch.

I would be so grateful if a few people could do this, and tell me the week of their iPod and if they too can see the dots like in cjmals battery picture.

Also, could you go to http://www.ipodtest.notlong.com and feedback on if the bottom left corner and middle right is sort of grainy, with dotted blacks.

Thanks!

delude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
UK
I have updated my posts and would be extremely grateful if a few people could help out.

delude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
UK
Cortex, could you read the starred part of my post and try it too? Just to see if we have the same problem.

CorTeX

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2008
France
I do not have wifi right here sorry.
BTW I called Apple they sarted to bored me since I am no more under the 90 days. Anyway I said that my ipod have a defective screen contrast problem and that it is cover by the warranty. They took me for stupid and told me to try the ipod touch repair test on the support site and to call them back tomorrow if the problem still occur (of course it will). Then they talk about "take and repair", that they will send me a box to give them back my ipod ....

delude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
UK
What is this 'repair test' thing?
I'm still within the 90 days, but hope that both of us will be able to get the problems sorted.

LordEntropy

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
Have done all of the above and everything looks good to me, sorry.

May look like a warranty return for you.

CorTeX

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2008
France
I had some hard time to explain them the problem so i'll try to show them the battery picture you posted tomorrow.

delude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
UK
Well I think I'm going to go to an Apple shop at the weekend and see. Of coourse this means I'll have to restore it, but will also add images and videos that proves thre is something wrong.

I would REALLY appericate if a few more people could at least go to http://www.ipodtest.notlong.com on their touch and tell me if in the bottom left corner or the middle right they can see a dotted black.

Thanks!

delude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
UK
Thanks very much. Now I can actually tell the 'Genius' that I have had others try to view the image, and have seen it as fine, just in case they don't believe me or 'don't know anything about it'.

Do you think I should also try to get a brand new replacement? (Has anybody else received a BRAND NEW iPod Touch as a replacement?) I don't really think I'd be too happy with a refurb:confused:

Would it be worth asking for the manager if they will not give me a new one?

Thanks so much in advance,
James

godisjustpreten

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2007
Thanks very much. Now I can actually tell the 'Genius' that I have had others try to view the image, and have seen it as fine, just in case they don't believe me or 'don't know anything about it'.

Do you think I should also try to get a brand new replacement? (Has anybody else received a BRAND NEW iPod Touch as a replacement?) I don't really think I'd be too happy with a refurb:confused:

Would it be worth asking for the manager if they will not give me a new one?

Thanks so much in advance,
James

I received a brand new iPod Touch as a replacement. Just request one. Talk to the manager if you need to. I'm somewhat confused why you are not sure if you *deserve* a new one, rather than a refurb from the exchange stock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.