PDA

View Full Version : iPod Earbud Problem


simX
Oct 8, 2003, 03:03 PM
I've had a perpetual issue with my iPod earbuds, and I'd like to see if anyone else has had this problem.

I've had 3 pairs of iPod headphones (the original version that came with the original 5 GB iPod, and 2 pairs of the new version that came in the $30 box with the remote). All three pairs have now gone down the same path -- where the 2 wires that go to the separate earbuds converge into one wire, the plastic comes out of the little plastic dealy that holds the two wires together. The result is that the actual wires that go to the earbuds get exposed, and after a while get frayed, and then the earbuds stop working and I have to get a new set.

I really like the iPod earbuds, and I can't possibly carry around regular headphones. I talked to a genius at the Palo Alto Apple Store yesterday, and he said that the headphones are "accidental damage" and so are not covered under warrantee. It seems to me that they haven't really made the earbuds that well if they keep fraying for me.

So does anybody else have this problem, or am I really treating my iPod earbuds much to roughly?

WinterMute
Oct 8, 2003, 03:39 PM
Ditch them, they suck.

Go get a pair of the dual driver Sennheissers, they sound fantastic and they don't fall apart, Apple make great computers, but they know dick about audio design.

The iPod buds are OK for freebies, but they don't stay in your ears well enough, they tend to break up under a high load, and the bloody wires rattle around in the earpieces when you walk.

simX
Oct 8, 2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by WinterMute
Ditch them, they suck.

Go get a pair of the dual driver Sennheissers, they sound fantastic and they don't fall apart, Apple make great computers, but they know dick about audio design.

Link? And are they actually earbuds, or are they headphones? I can't realistically carry around headphones in my pocket...

pkkrusty
Oct 8, 2003, 08:11 PM
Yeah, I agree that if you're looking for good buds, seinheisser (sp) is the way to go. I have to recommend the Grado SR60s though. They're full headphones, so you prob don't want them for walking around like you are, but as a pair to listen to music in the home, they are UNMATCHED for the price. The sound is incredible. Especially if all you've ever had is sub $20 headphones or earbuds. You'll notice stuff about your music you've never heard before. $70, prob $60 on eBay. Worth every penny.

Just my 2 cents.

Dr. No
Oct 9, 2003, 12:55 AM
You can go to http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf
to see Sennheiser's line of products.

www.headphone.com has great info as well.

simX
Oct 9, 2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by pkkrusty
Yeah, I agree that if you're looking for good buds, seinheisser (sp) is the way to go. I have to recommend the Grado SR60s though. They're full headphones, so you prob don't want them for walking around like you are, but as a pair to listen to music in the home, they are UNMATCHED for the price. The sound is incredible. Especially if all you've ever had is sub $20 headphones or earbuds. You'll notice stuff about your music you've never heard before. $70, prob $60 on eBay. Worth every penny.

Just my 2 cents.

While I appreciate your recommendation, I actually want to use my iPod, and I don't want to have to stick my headphones in my bag -- and what if I don't want to carry a bag?

Headphones are out of the question -- I want earbuds: I'll see if any of those on the page Dr. No linked seem any good.

Macette
Oct 9, 2003, 02:27 AM
same thing happened to mine today. i'd been carrying my ipod in a case for the whole time since i got it, but then i left the case at work and have been carrying it this week without the case... and now the earbuds are busted.

WinterMute
Oct 10, 2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by simX
Link? And are they actually earbuds, or are they headphones? I can't realistically carry around headphones in my pocket...

Sorry bro, been away, they are the MX 500's off the Senheisser page noted above by Dr. No

simX
Oct 10, 2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Macette
same thing happened to mine today. i'd been carrying my ipod in a case for the whole time since i got it, but then i left the case at work and have been carrying it this week without the case... and now the earbuds are busted.

Hey, Macette -- can you please call Apple technical support (1-800-275-2273) and speak to someone about the problem so that they log it in the database? I'd really appreciate that -- today I called and spoke to a product specialist (2nd tier support guy) who said that they won't offer a replacement set this time, but they will reevaluate the situation if they get more calls about the problem.

I know it's really annoying and taxing to get on the phone with technical support, but I'd really like to see Apple log this problem because I suspect that it is more widespread than it appears. If you do decide to call, make sure that they log it in the system and get a case number from them -- so that you can call them back if we get a lot more responses on the subject.

Anyone else having this problem with iPod earbuds?

mislabeledstar
Oct 10, 2003, 07:32 PM
i've had issues with thge earbuds...... after a few months one side became quite noticibly softer than the other..... i called apple n then sent me a new pair........ i have the same problem again but now with the oposite ear.........