PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook g4 hdd

countryman
Jan 6, 2008, 09:19 PM
I have an AlBook 867 mhz 12 in powerbook. While carying it the other day the hard drive made a funny clunking sound. Shortly after it froze bringing me to the gray shut down screen, then again after i rebooted it. Now, programs are opening and running very slowly and if i hold it at an angle, it makes a humming sound, like the disk is rubbing or something. I tried disk first aid, smart is verified and it says the drive is ok, tho it took it about 5 mins to check the drive. Do i need to replace it?

AlBDamned
Jan 6, 2008, 09:22 PM
I have an AlBook 867 mhz 12 in powerbook. While carying it the other day the hard drive made a funny clunking sound. Shortly after it froze bringing me to the gray shut down screen, then again after i rebooted it. Now, programs are opening and running very slowly and if i hold it at an angle, it makes a humming sound, like the disk is rubbing or something. I tried disk first aid, smart is verified and it says the drive is ok, tho it took it about 5 mins to check the drive. Do i need to replace it?

Sounds like it's on the way out and if it's the original disc supplied with the machine it's done pretty well to last.

I'd back up immediately regardless.

countryman
Jan 6, 2008, 09:32 PM
Sounds like it's on the way out and if it's the original disc supplied with the machine it's done pretty well to last.

I'd back up immediately regardless.

Yeah im attempting to, carbon copy cloner looks like it should finish in a day or so. If i get a 9200 rpm drive for this should its access times be faster then they were before it slowed up or should i just find the cheapest drive i can get?

AlBDamned
Jan 6, 2008, 09:40 PM
Yeah im attempting to, carbon copy cloner looks like it should finish in a day or so. If i get a 9200 rpm drive for this should its access times be faster then they were before it slowed up or should i just find the cheapest drive i can get?

Not sure about 9200rpm drives for laptops (2.5"), especially older ones. Think 7200rpm might be the most feasible. I would also think you'd see quite a difference in speed. The existing one is probably 4200rpm or less (and with a tiny cache).

How big a drive do you want the replacement to be?

Also, how much data have you got for it to be taking a day? Are you backing up via firewire or USB, or is the drive just really slow now?

countryman
Jan 6, 2008, 09:47 PM
Not sure about 9200rpm drives for laptops (2.5"), especially older ones. Think 7200rpm might be the most feasible. I would also think you'd see quite a difference in speed. The existing one is probably 4200rpm or less (and with a tiny cache).

How big a drive do you want the replacement to be?

Also, how much data have you got for it to be taking a day? Are you backing up via firewire or USB, or is the drive just really slow now?

Its got a 55 gb drive with 25 gb used. I am backing it up to itself then am planning on moving it to my imac. i was going to use time machine to go right to there but even when wired by ethernet it wouldnt see the remote drive. Is there a big difference between a 5400 and 7200 rpm drive? i found a 60 gig 7200 rpm for around 99 and a 5400 for 77 on powerbookmedia.com

AlBDamned
Jan 6, 2008, 09:54 PM
Its got a 55 gb drive with 25 gb used. I am backing it up to itself then am planning on moving it to my imac. i was going to use time machine to go right to there but even when wired by ethernet it wouldnt see the remote drive. Is there a big difference between a 5400 and 7200 rpm drive? i found a 60 gig 7200 rpm for around 99 and a 5400 for 77 on powerbookmedia.com

I'd probably go for the 7200.It's only $22 more. Damn you guys get cheap stuff in the States.

CJRhoades
Jan 6, 2008, 09:57 PM
You'll want to get the 7200 rpm drive if it only costs $22 more. There is a large difference between those two speeds. A drive that spins faster is better not only because of higher file read/write speeds and faster file moving but because OS X makes extensive use of virtual memory regardless of how much RAM you have. You'll see a huge speed improvement throughout your entire OS if you upgrade to a 7200 rpm drive.

countryman
Jan 6, 2008, 10:00 PM
I'd probably go for the 7200.It's only $22 more. Damn you guys get cheap stuff in the States.

haha are they that much more over there?

Is cloning a drive suppose to take this long? ive never done it before. also, if i put my palm next to the trackpad over the drive i can feel a definate vibration, ive never noticed it before. you think i should defenatly get a new one?

AlBDamned
Jan 6, 2008, 10:06 PM
haha are they that much more over there?

Is cloning a drive suppose to take this long? ive never done it before. also, if i put my palm next to the trackpad over the drive i can feel a definate vibration, ive never noticed it before. you think i should defenatly get a new one?

Backing your drive up to the same drive isn't going to help you if the unit fails. Ideally you need to back up to a separate drive (if I'm understanding you right).

Also, 25Gb should take a couple of hours.

countryman
Jan 6, 2008, 10:11 PM
Backing your drive up to the same drive isn't going to help you if the unit fails. Ideally you need to back up to a separate drive (if I'm understanding you right).

Also, 25Gb should take a couple of hours.

Oh im going to transfer the dmg file to my imac when its finished, get a new drive and then put the image on the new drive. im looking for one now, as i just opened mail and after my mail was downloaded, after i clicked a message it took almost 30 sec to load a 3 line email

OrangeSVTguy
Jan 6, 2008, 10:53 PM

backing itself up onto itself :confused:

so if it fails, so does your backup.

you should get it copied using carbon copy like you said to an external drive. preferably a firewire one. that way when you get a new drive installed, you can transfer everything to the new one.

oh i just bought a 60gb drive off ebay for $30 but its only a 4200rpm drive. came from a pb g4. let me know if you want it as i might want to get something faster. i don't know yet though... i'd sell it cheaper though.