PDA

View Full Version : New Get A Mac Ad: Referee

McCarron
Jan 6, 2008, 12:41 PM
I just saw a new Get a Mac ad during the football game on Fox, I haven't heard anything about it here yet. It features a Football Referee who has been brought in by PC to make sure the two play fair. The ref makes a "review" about Leopard being faster than Vista. After the review he deems Leopard "better and faster than Vista."

PC then argues with the referee who ejects him. He proclaims "ejected? you can't eject me! where am I supposed to go?" as he walks into the whiteness.

Here's the transcript I typed up:

(A referee stands between Mac and PC)
Mac: Hello I'm a Mac
PC: And I'm a PC
(Referee blows a whistle)
(PC Chuckles)
Referee: You may begin
(Referee walks to his play review viewer)
Mac: Why is there a referee?
PC: To be sure you play fair Mac, so you don't go boasting about how Leopard is better and faster than Vista.
(Referee emerges from play review viewer)
Mac: Well I didn't say that, the Wall Street Journal said that.
PC: Well, lets wait for the call.
Referee: After further review, the ruling stands Leopard is better and faster than Vista.
PC: WHAT?! That's a ridiculous call! What are you blind? Whatís the matter with you?
(Referee points at PC)
Referee: Youíre ejected.
PC: Ejected? You canít eject me!
(PC, with his back to the camera, wonders away and throws his hands up)
PC: Where am I supposed to go?

I'm currently ripping the HD stream off the Tivo Series 3 to the Mac. I'll upload it once done.

Update: I'm in the middle of a few things, and I keep coming back to find it converted the wrong segment of video. Going to do the whole thing instead of trying segments. But here's a screenshot:

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=96738&stc=1&d=1199656221

eric55lv
Jan 6, 2008, 12:53 PM
I have not seen that and its not on Apples website

McCarron
Jan 6, 2008, 01:24 PM
I'm pulling it off of my Tivo Series 3 in HD right now. It's about 30 minutes into the recording, so not moving superfast right now since HD is a fairly large stream. Then I'll recompress and upload to my website until Apple posts theirs.

I'll update with the script here in a second.

twoodcc
Jan 6, 2008, 01:39 PM
looking forward to seeing it :)

goodwilldrums
Jan 6, 2008, 01:57 PM
Too bad there's a continuity error in this ad. Watch the refs flag!

macthetiger85
Jan 6, 2008, 02:06 PM
Just saw the ad - it's really cute.
love these commercials?

"Where am I suppose to go?"

Yankees 4 Life
Jan 6, 2008, 03:04 PM
i just saw it too!!

iDAG
Jan 6, 2008, 03:08 PM
It seems funny, maybe it will be on during the BCS Championship tomorrow if the ad was on FOX.

thegoldenmackid
Jan 6, 2008, 03:13 PM
Hello watching Fox today, saw a new Get a Mac ad. My guess would be "Ejected"

(Setting: Mac and PC as normal. Referee in the middle with what seems to be a (American) football "review booth")

Mac: Hello, I'm a Mac.

PC: And I'm a PC

(laugh, then whistle blows)

Referee: you may begin

Mac: PC, why is there a referee?

PC: To make sure you play fair mac, so you don't go boasting about how Leopard is better and faster then Vista.

Mac: I didn't say that, the Wall Street Journal said that.

PC: Well, let's wait for the call..

(same laugh)

Referee: After further review, the ruling stands: Leopard is faster and better then Vista.

PC: What, thats a ridiculous call. What are you blind? Thats a ridiculous call!

Referee: You're ejected.

PC: Ejected? You can't eject me. Where am I supposed to go

clevin
Jan 6, 2008, 03:56 PM
faster than vista when doing what? making stupid commercials?

David G.
Jan 6, 2008, 04:02 PM
I can't wait to see it, it looks pretty funny.

Eraserhead
Jan 6, 2008, 04:02 PM

It could be in some benchmarks, on 64 bit Intel hardware Leopard>Tiger, and Tiger>XP for some things, and as XP>Vista on some things its definitely possible.

McCarron
Jan 6, 2008, 04:03 PM
Updated with a photo in the first post.

johny5
Jan 6, 2008, 04:04 PM
I thought the ads would have appeared on apple's site beforehand?

Eraserhead
Jan 6, 2008, 04:10 PM
I thought the ads would have appeared on apple's site beforehand?

No, usually afterwards they appear on Apple's site.

thegoldenmackid
Jan 6, 2008, 04:13 PM
just a question about forums. What happened to this thread?

McCarron
Jan 6, 2008, 04:54 PM
just a question about forums. What happened to this thread?

My post and yours were merged.

Tilpots
Jan 6, 2008, 05:19 PM
Saw it during the NYG-Tampa game on Fox. Pretty funny. We'll all probably see it A LOT during the OSU-LSU game tomorrow night.

powderblue17
Jan 6, 2008, 05:31 PM

Why don't you go and try to install Vista and Leopard on a 1 Ghz computers with 512MB or 1GB of memory and maybe you will see why Leopard is faster then Vista. I had Vista on my Pentium 4 2.6 GHz with 768MB and I went back to XP just because it was so much faster then Vista on that PC.

clevin
Jan 6, 2008, 05:45 PM
Why don't you go and try to install Vista and Leopard on a 1 Ghz computers with 512MB or 1GB of memory and maybe you will see why Leopard is faster then Vista. I had Vista on my Pentium 4 2.6 GHz with 768MB and I went back to XP just because it was so much faster then Vista on that PC.

oh please. I had Tiger on 512MB with my MB, it was so slow I have to update it to 2G. and leopard is asking double the minimum memory requirement of Tiger. 512MB for faster leopard? are you serious?

at the same time, I did have my Acer with 1G memory with Vista. Tell you what. It runs fine.

how about you go ahead use 768MB with your leopard, see how long you can take it.

want to make some decent argument? then lets get some real comparison first, not guess this, imagine that.

You want to show leopard is faster in majority cases (since thats the basic definition of being "faster")? get some test package, put on similar Hardware equipment, and run them side by side!

thegoldenmackid
Jan 6, 2008, 06:06 PM
The ad just aired on the CBS showing of the AFC Wild Card Game Between the Tennessee Titans and San Diego Chargers.

Mr.Texor
Jan 6, 2008, 07:04 PM
the ad is already at http://www.apple.com/getamac/

valdore
Jan 6, 2008, 07:07 PM
I worry that the relentless anti-pc anti-Vista anti Microsoft rhetoric might backfire.

iDAG
Jan 6, 2008, 07:08 PM

LOL it is funny but I still bet if Apple was smart that it will air during the BCS Championship tomorrow.

bov
Jan 6, 2008, 07:13 PM
hahaha i saw this ad watchin the football game as well :D

go :apple: !

Frisco
Jan 6, 2008, 07:15 PM
Unfortunately most people who see this ad have no idea what "Vista" and "Leopard" are.

sushi
Jan 6, 2008, 07:21 PM
It's okay. Not as funny as some of the others.

t0mat0
Jan 6, 2008, 07:25 PM
and also some people don't know what a "vista" or a "leopard" can look like...

FF_productions
Jan 6, 2008, 08:01 PM
Does anybody really understand these commercials?

I know I sound like an idiot, but consider a person that has never used a computer or don't know anything about them, they don't know what the hell the commercial is about, they just show a photo of the iMac at the end and still kinda clueless.

Anybody agree with me?

I feel they are just igniting the PC/Mac fires and starting more arguments with these commercials.

JNB
Jan 6, 2008, 08:06 PM

I know I sound like an idiot, but consider a person that has never used a computer or don't know anything about them, they don't know what the hell the commercial is about, they just show a photo of the iMac at the end and still kinda clueless.

Bingo! That's all they need to do. In fact, that's the whole point of all the cuteness is to get people to look at the iMac, see the logo, remember the name. You just passed your first lesson in Marketing 101!

twoodcc
Jan 6, 2008, 08:23 PM
yeah, this wasn't the best getamac ad

MacRumors
Jan 6, 2008, 09:30 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has released a new Get a Mac ad entitled "Referee (http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple/getamac/apple_getamac_referee_480x272.mov)" in conjunction with the beginning of the NFL playoffs.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/01/06/Referee_300.png
(http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple/getamac/apple_getamac_referee_480x272.mov)

In the ad, PC calls in a referee to prevent Mac from making the claim that Leopard is better and faster than Vista. The referee, however, sides with Mac, and when PC argues, PC is "ejected."

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/06/new-get-a-mac-ad-referee/)

Eidorian
Jan 6, 2008, 09:30 PM
It's always nice to see more Apple ads.

The UAC one really hit the spot. :D

woolfgang
Jan 6, 2008, 09:31 PM
Now I Can Die In Peace.

RADumas
Jan 6, 2008, 09:32 PM
This ad series is running out of steam. This one is pretty lame.

FJ218700
Jan 6, 2008, 09:33 PM
Just watched it, possibly the worst one of the series.

quagmire
Jan 6, 2008, 09:35 PM
Can you eject people in football?

saxofunk
Jan 6, 2008, 09:37 PM
Not the best one in the series but gets the point across

Xeem
Jan 6, 2008, 09:38 PM
Yeah, it wasn't very good. At least they mention Leopard in this one; most of the recent ads have focused so much on Vista bashing that they seemingly forget to advertise the Mac OS.

tkidBOSTON
Jan 6, 2008, 09:38 PM
Wow, this series of ads have really gone downhill. They need to move on to something a bit more productive and informative.

MidiMonk
Jan 6, 2008, 09:41 PM
big yawn:apple:

Apple really needs to look closer in the mirror, as of late pure crapple:mad:

SheriffParker
Jan 6, 2008, 09:42 PM
Poor PC, he always gets the short end of the stick.

CWallace
Jan 6, 2008, 09:43 PM

Agreed.

Yes you can. Oakland Raiders defensive tackle Warren Sapp was ejected from the December 23rd, 2007 game against the Jacksonville Jaguars after receiving three unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.

mulletman13
Jan 6, 2008, 09:44 PM
Wow that was completely uncalled for... 'faster and better'? Blah, mudslinging was never a glamorous business. I'm really disappointed with Apple for this.

MarkMS
Jan 6, 2008, 09:45 PM
Wow, this series of ads have really gone downhill. They need to move on to something a bit more productive and informative.

Yeah! That's what I've been thinking. They need to do something similar to the iPhone commercials.

Yankees 4 Life

yes, you can be ejected in a football game

BIK
"This ad series is running out of steam. This one is pretty lame."

Agreed.

But don't do anything like those newfangled iPhone ads where people describe their experience with the iPhone.

Time for Apple to give its ad campaign a refresh at Macworld.

Yankees 4 Life
Jan 6, 2008, 09:46 PM
Agreed.

Yes you can. Los Angeles Raiders defensive tackle Warren Sapp was ejected from the December 23rd, 2006 game against the Jacksonville Jaguars after receiving three unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.
He actually plays for the oakland raiders, they moved decades ago

twoodcc
Jan 6, 2008, 09:46 PM
Just watched it, possibly the worst one of the series.

yeah it could be. but i'm still glad that they are making them. i've seen far worse commercials out there....

ezekielrage_99
Jan 6, 2008, 09:47 PM
I'd like to see one of those with the Australian cricket team and the Indian cricket team.... I could seem so many insults about monkeys there (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,,23016114-5014021,00.html) :D

CWallace
Jan 6, 2008, 09:48 PM

Thanks for the catch. :o

I remember them as the LA Raiders when we (the Seattle Seahawks) used to face them in the AFC West.

M!K
Jan 6, 2008, 09:48 PM
this is the worst ad ever!!

shigzeo
Jan 6, 2008, 09:49 PM
it will only show in the usa since no one else knows 'football' by a big camera and some guy in striped long trousers with a whistle. the secret is safe for all of us.

deputy_doofy
Jan 6, 2008, 09:50 PM
Not a fan of this one, either.

rockthecasbah
Jan 6, 2008, 09:59 PM
Wow what a piece of crap ad. That really did not make me proud to adore Apple to say the least... dare i ask how much money was spent writing that nonsense? :eek:

kevinwiz
Jan 6, 2008, 09:59 PM
i saw this during the chargers game but i wasn't sure where to post. the ad sucks and this whole ad campaign kind of makes PC the more likable guy, the mac guy seems too arrogant

Glenny2lappies
Jan 6, 2008, 10:05 PM
From what I see, Leopard's brought a whole pile of problems. I've not yet upgraded and won't for a while yet.

Sure, it's nowhere near as bad as The Vistah, but the cat's far from perfect.

emulator
Jan 6, 2008, 10:06 PM
big yawn:apple:

Apple really needs to look closer in the mirror, as of late pure crapple:mad:Very true.

thats nice
Jan 6, 2008, 10:06 PM
I enjoyed it. Look on the bright side of life :)

Digitalclips
Jan 6, 2008, 10:09 PM
i saw this during the chargers game but i wasn't sure where to post. the ad sucks and this whole ad campaign kind of makes PC the more likable guy, the mac guy seems too arrogant

Oh come on ... lol ... Mac Guy hardly said a word.

halhiker
Jan 6, 2008, 10:13 PM
This one is quite tepid. It could have been better if PC's response was more emotional and the ref had actually yelled at PC and said, "You're outta here" it MIGHT have made it more realistic. As it is, "yawn".

Norco
Jan 6, 2008, 10:16 PM

I second that.

SpinThis!
Jan 6, 2008, 10:17 PM
I thought the ad was clever; it's not Apple's best in the series but it's good for its target audience (football fans aren't the brightest bunch either). You guys are forgetting that the rest of the world hasn't converted over yet and for most people, buying a computer isn't top of mind so more ad penetration is a good thing. It might seem trite for us Mac fans here discussing the ad and writing it off as old and stale but for the rest of the world who still has yet to see a Mac...

From what I see, Leopard's brought a whole pile of problems. I've not yet upgraded and won't for a while yet.
Such as? I've been running it since release with no problems. It's one thing to wait until the dust settles which is usually a pretty smart move in any case since any release version will probably have bits here and there because Apple can't account for every situation... but it doesn't do anybody any good to complain without real proof (eg which bugs do you need fixed?)...

bluedoggiant
Jan 6, 2008, 10:19 PM
it said it was written by longofest when im the one who submitted the news on it:mad:.

And is this new, I had my thread closed on this topic because it has already been covered, i guess this is outdated news:cool:.

I agree with everyone, this one is really bad.

SheriffParker
Jan 6, 2008, 10:20 PM
dare i ask how much money was spent writing that nonsense? :eek:

Hopefully not much, because it sucked. Maybe it has something to do with the writer's strike? :confused:

K-Funk
Jan 6, 2008, 10:20 PM
Honestly, these ads make me NOT want to get a Mac. They are just so condescending and mean-spirited. Also, they make it look like Microsoft is terrified of Apple, which is nonsense. Obviously, Macs have done very well lately, but Microsoft will be making tons of money for years to come.

Palestrina
Jan 6, 2008, 10:21 PM
Maybe a fun, new, edgy, caveman ad campaign. "Leopard...so easy to use, even a caveman can do it."

That hasn't been done, has it? ;)

billystlyes
Jan 6, 2008, 10:25 PM
It's official. Get a Mac ads have jumped the shark.

blipper
Jan 6, 2008, 10:26 PM
I thought the ad was clever; it's not Apple's best in the series but it's good for its target audience

Yes, in this venue your main competition is the beer ads --- this ad was downright intellectual by comparison.

I've been running it since release with no problems. Leopard has been a definite improvement on both my Powerbook and my Mac Pro. I haven't heard anything good from Vista upgraders.

Wild-Bill
Jan 6, 2008, 10:27 PM
Major suckage.

Leopard can't truly make that claim until they fix the problems.

They need to invest most of that $15 billion in quality control, hardware and software development, and Leopard.

PUT DOWN THE DAMN IPHONE, STEVE! :mad:

hassanpr
Jan 6, 2008, 10:30 PM
this is so wack im tired of these things.

ErikGrim
Jan 6, 2008, 10:30 PM
Wow. I've been supporting the campaign up until now, but this was a sad shadow of it's former glory. In fact it was downright embarrasing :(

MrPol
Jan 6, 2008, 10:32 PM
I enjoyed it and more importantly so did my non-techy parents. Some of you guys really need to get a grip.:rolleyes:

messedkid
Jan 6, 2008, 10:39 PM
at the same time, I did have my Acer with 1G memory with Vista. Tell you what. It runs fine.

I love that word. "Fine".

I have never (it probably has been said, but this is from my point of view) seen/heard any windows user say anything but fine or "okay" when describing how xp or vista runs.

Our PC upstairs runs "fine" too, yet it is WAY slower than my macbook.

And I ran tiger on this macbook with 512 too, and it was STILL faster (running everyday applications, im not nearly as big a nerd to run benchmarks) than our PC.

Don't you think that people HAVE done equal comparisons? Equal hardware to test the actual speed differences?

SheriffParker
Jan 6, 2008, 10:39 PM
I enjoyed it and more importantly so did my non-techy parents. Some of you guys really need to get a grip.:rolleyes:

Actually I'm happy to hear that. Knowing that people who post on MacRumors.com are already mac junkies, we are clearly not the target audience. Good to hear that somebody not familiar to the whole thing enjoyed the ad.

Yankees 4 Life
Jan 6, 2008, 10:45 PM
i liked the ad :)

tk421
Jan 6, 2008, 10:48 PM

True, it's a continuity error. But it's completely unimportant. I didn't notice it until you pointed it out, and 99% of people never will. And, if you really look for it, almost everything ever seen on TV or in a movie theater has such continuity errors.

Virgil-TB2
Jan 6, 2008, 10:48 PM
It's official. Get a Mac ads have jumped the shark.I got the feeling it's much later.

Am I the only one that this ad screamed out "last in the series" to?

I mean the whole point of the series is pretty much summed up in a very blunt and not very amusing way here. What more is there to say after dancing around the facts for fifty ads and then finally spelling it out, outright?

Randall Morgan
Jan 6, 2008, 10:53 PM
Saw it during the NYG-Tampa game on Fox. Pretty funny. We'll all probably see it A LOT during the OSU-LSU game tomorrow night.

yeah baby. Geaux Tigers!!!

boss1
Jan 6, 2008, 10:53 PM
I think people have their expectations for Apple advertising as high as their expectations for quality of Apple product development.

Not every TV commercial is going to be good enough to enter the TV commercial Hall of Fame after winning the TV commercial Grammy's.

Apple is getting the message they want across to the consumer.

Oh and I think someone posed the question that the viewer may not get this type of commercial. For someone who has no idea about computers this commercial might seem like foreign speak and techno jargon right?

Well I think it would be safe to assume that Apple is targeting consumers who are in the market or may soon be in the market to purchase a PC.

Now if you can find me a person who is in the market to buy a PC who doesn't have a clue about what Vista is, AND that it may be different than a Mac then you can toss him into the .01% of the persons in the market for a PC.

in the same sense you nor I would ever buy a 3 quarter gauge recessed deprometric acceleramator because I have no clue what the hell that is. And if Apple made a funny commercial for it I still wouldn't buy it.

Dissonance
Jan 6, 2008, 10:58 PM
Apple needs to eject this ad campaign. It was cute at first, but now it is just sad. How about showing off the beautiful hardware and software before Mac Guy starts to really annoy everyone who hasn't already become really annoyed by him?

MacNemesis
Jan 6, 2008, 11:03 PM
Wow what a piece of crap ad. That really did not make me proud to adore Apple to say the least... dare i ask how much money was spent writing that nonsense? :eek:

Well the writers are on strike, aren't they?
;)

swagi
Jan 6, 2008, 11:24 PM
Yeah! That's what I've been thinking. They need to do something similar to the iPhone commercials.

Oh no, please not. Those commercials get me really ticked off. I just need to listen to the music and I'm zapping.

Is it just me or does anyone else have the feeling, that PC sales must boost due to compassion? I mean, gimme a break, PC guy is the sympathetic loser in every ad, while Mac guy is a summed up entitiy of snobbery, arrogance and so on.

So sometimes crappy and awkward running PCs for the emotional masses, while the filthy arrogant snobs use their Mac -> that's the message I received.

As it seems to me PC-man is an icon now in the US, while nobody cares about the Mac-man.

KiraDouji
Jan 6, 2008, 11:25 PM
Regardless of technical knowledge, the commercial communicates the following to everyone;

Mac
iMac
Fast
Computer
:apple:

That's all you really need to sell a product. Are car commercials any good? Do Dunkin Donuts commercials get you going? Do perfume commercials even make sense?

Probably not.

But you probably associate Kia/Honda/Toyota/Chevy/Dodge/etc with cars, Dunkin Donuts with coffee/donuts, and Calvin Klein/Macy's/Department Stores with perfume.

Mission Accomplished. :p

- Kira

xbigman15x
Jan 6, 2008, 11:27 PM
eh, yeah I agree this surely wasn't the best of the series. Hasn't Apple already shown an ad where they spoke of macs being faster than pcs? the commercials are becoming redundant. Either apple creates a new ad campaign or the diversify the series.

EgleMtn
Jan 6, 2008, 11:29 PM
Although I'm not a huge fan of this specific ad, I do still enjoy this ad campaign. A lot better than many of the other computer makers. Anyone seen the Dell commercial with the women putting together an engine that is supposed to represent a computer? Those are much worse than the "Get a Mac" ads.

nsbio
Jan 6, 2008, 11:35 PM
how about you go ahead use 768MB with your leopard, see how long you can take it.

Actually, Leopard is running VERY NICELY on a TI PB 867Mhz with 768 MB of RAM. The machine is fully usable and responsive. The only problem is that the Apple's own iWork 08 is slow as molasses on that and even on a faster G4. MS office, on the other hand, runs well on that machine.

hempcamp
Jan 6, 2008, 11:40 PM
This commercial isn't nearly as witty as the previous ones. It's really more of a blatant attack ad, whether it's true or not. If it played on someone else's observation (like the PC Magazine Fastest Notebook ad) it would be better.

--Chris

bretm
Jan 6, 2008, 11:41 PM
Wow that was completely uncalled for... 'faster and better'? Blah, mudslinging was never a glamorous business. I'm really disappointed with Apple for this.

What? Are you disappointed in Coke when they claim they're better than Pepsi or vice versa? Apple can have only one goal, to switch people from PC to Mac. For the first time in a long time they can compete head to head with the same hardware. Their OS is more streamlined and while I doubt anyone can tell the difference, I would assume it's faster than the bloated Vista. Should apple just keep saying "ours is nicer and more expensive." NO. Now that they have your attention from the iPhone and the iPod, they have to flat out tell you what they want you to know. Apple is better. It's faster. It's easier. Don't worry, it's compatible. It doesn't crash as much, etc.

I guess their next ad should just say... "eh, we're a comparable, albeit more expensive option you're not familiar with."

Actually, Leopard is running VERY NICELY on a TI PB 867Mhz with 768 MB of RAM. The machine is fully usable and responsive. The only problem is that the Apple's own iWork 08 is slow as molasses on that and even on a faster G4. MS office, on the other hand, runs well on that machine.

Leopard may require more resources (RAM) but it runs leaner and faster than previous versions. iWork 08 of course makes no such claim. Just like all of Apple's software, they keep getting bigger and more advanced, requiring more resources, memory, hard drive, etc.

I would assume iWork 08 would run even worse in Tiger. Have you found that to be the case?

Oh no, please not. Those commercials get me really ticked off. I just need to listen to the music and I'm zapping.

Is it just me or does anyone else have the feeling, that PC sales must boost due to compassion? I mean, gimme a break, PC guy is the sympathetic loser in every ad, while Mac guy is a summed up entitiy of snobbery, arrogance and so on.

So sometimes crappy and awkward running PCs for the emotional masses, while the filthy arrogant snobs use their Mac -> that's the message I received.

As it seems to me PC-man is an icon now in the US, while nobody cares about the Mac-man.

You see the mac guy as snobby? That's truly bizarre. He comes off as very compassionate to PC and all his troubles. He doesn't do anything sinister to PC and yet many "episodes" PC is out to get him in some way or another.

I'm sorry if you dislike Mac actually throwing in a few good things to say about Mac, but that's not exactly snobbery. I'm pretty sure it's just a way to get the info out they're trying to convey. Next ad they can just have PC talk about how great Mac is, and he can deny it and say how great PC is and we can all have a good cry. They'll air it on Lifetime.

mixel
Jan 6, 2008, 11:47 PM
I dont get why people are riled by things like "faster and better"

If the Wallstreet Journal/Apple want to say that.. Fine - you can interpret it in so many different ways it can't be disproved.

Just because something is better (or faster) doesn't mean it's competitor is suddenly terrible. It's not that much of an attack, Apple never say Vista is godawful, just that Leopard is better. Don't most mac users actually agree with that key point anyway?

I didn't mind the ad anyway and really like the "where am I supposed to go?" :)

Yuppi
Jan 6, 2008, 11:50 PM
That ad is very lame. Unfortunately. I did enjoy the previous ones though. When I was at my fathers place I was updating all his Macs to leopard because it is so much better than tiger. Needless to say that I certainly not would have done that with Vista. And yes I do use Vista as well.

nsbio
Jan 6, 2008, 11:50 PM
c.

I would assume iWork 08 would run even worse in Tiger. Have you found that to be the case?

I do not have enough info to assert that. I have an iMac G5 with Tiger and PB G4 with Leopard. The iMac runs iWork 08 much faster, but this is a crappy comparison due to different CPUs of these two computers.

bretm
Jan 6, 2008, 11:51 PM
I dont get why people are riled by things like "faster and better"

If the Wallstreet Journal/Apple want to say that.. Fine - you can interpret it in so many different ways it can't be disproved.

Just because something is better (or faster) doesn't mean it's competitor is suddenly terrible. It's not that much of an attack, Apple never say Vista is godawful, just that Leopard is better. Don't most mac users actually agree with that key point anyway?

I didn't mind the ad anyway and really like the "where am I supposed to go?" :)

Exactly. A good PC ad might point out that PC is just as fast as Mac (or faster) and so much cheaper..... Like the new Dell made to compete with iMac. Oh, wait, it's $300 more than an iMac. Hmmm.

nsbio
Jan 7, 2008, 12:00 AM
Just like all of Apple's software, they keep getting bigger and more advanced, requiring more resources, memory, hard drive, etc.

I have a strong conviction that no computer should lag while you are typing a simple text on it. Period. I typed without any lag on computers 10 years ago - typing should reflect on the screen instantaneously - and in that regard iWork 08 is a regression and a bummer. It has nice features, but it is unusable on a machine (admittedly, not high end) that is officially supported.

Incidentally, early revisions of Word 2004 had a similar problem (lag while typing). Later updates fixed this problem and now Word is acceptable for typing (still slower than the Windows version). iWork is not. Among Mac text editors that I know of which feel ok to type in is Word 04 (C+ grade); textedit and Mellel (both get A-). I have to stick with Word because of extra features that I use....

filmcutter53
Jan 7, 2008, 12:07 AM
Safe to say Chiat Day is not recruiting any of you pinheads.

Do you really think that Apple does not test the bejesus out of this campaign to insure that it remains meaningful and relevant to their target market? Or that the kudos it is getting throughout the industry is just the entire ad community trying to kiss Steve's tuches.

Then again all they really have to do is troll around over here to see the postings from the fanboys who hate it to know they have another good one.

JHC, what you people do not know about advertising is galactic in scope.

macthetiger85
Jan 7, 2008, 12:10 AM
yeah baby. Geaux Tigers!!!

The comercial for the LSU OSU game will be edited a bit:

"PC and Ohio State Ejected for being too slow!"

Maybe they'll even fix the flag issue with the edit. :)

MarlboroLite
Jan 7, 2008, 12:13 AM
I don't know why people take these ads so damn seriously. They seem to ignite totally out of proportion and irrational sentiments in some people.

They are obviously working; otherwise Apple wouldn't keep making them and gaining market share and making more money than ever before. So give it a rest, just because you don't like them doesn't mean the public at large doesn't either. Use that wonderful invention called the 'mute' button on your remote--heard it was the best thing since sliced bread.

AMacFan
Jan 7, 2008, 12:19 AM

They moved back to Oakland in 1995, Al Davis makes it hard to remember the city and years. Maybe they should call them the Los Angeles Oakland Raiders of Anaheim. :)

mrweirdo
Jan 7, 2008, 12:23 AM
This one is quite tepid. It could have been better if PC's response was more emotional and the ref had actually yelled at PC and said, "You're outta here" it MIGHT have made it more realistic. As it is, "yawn".

Agreed. I'd say because they didn't do that this makes it the worst ad yet out of the series. Why couldn't they at least put a little effort into it? I guess they forgot how to act or something :(

I recall watching a recent ep of the boondocks were riley(a kid with cornrows for those that don't know) got called for a technical foul by ruckus who was the ref and his reaction was "man thats some old bull"...end result more emotion was used making it funny as hell :D the whole point is emotion is the key to a joke like this.

elgruga
Jan 7, 2008, 12:25 AM

Yes, amongst other things.

Anyway its a moot point - aren't ALL commercials stupid by definition?
An ad is simply to get the product name across and that its 'good' or 'best' or 'better' or some simple message that the overloaded consumer brain might remember.
Apple is classy, cool, just works, easier, better design, makes great toast, gets you drunk fast, chick magnet, etc. etc.
It works.

As an entertainment, its instantly forgettable.

skinnylegs
Jan 7, 2008, 12:31 AM
typing should reflect on the screen instantaneously - and in that regard iWork 08 is a regression and a bummerYou might want to mix a bit of Mavis Beacon in your daily repertoire. :rolleyes: I use iWork '08 on a daily basis and text appears on the screen as fast as I hit the key.

mixel
Jan 7, 2008, 12:36 AM
end result more emotion was used making it funny as hell :D the whole point is emotion is the key to a joke like this.
Multiple types of humour which work differently for different viewers .. I prefer the quiet understated , usually more surreal stuff. "where am I supposed to go?"

Look at the difference between the Japanese/UK/US Get a Mac ads - same info & jokes presented in different ways. Mostly I prefer the US ones but some of the UK ones I like more. (not sure what's going on in the Japanese ones so can't really comment, haha)

Everyone's a back-seat driver who seems to think their tastes reflect what's "best" ..

Halsey12
Jan 7, 2008, 01:05 AM
These are getting pretty tired. The characters are great, so why not put them in a different situation?

Full of Win
Jan 7, 2008, 01:06 AM
Anyway its a moot point - aren't ALL commercials stupid by definition?

Many are, but not 'ALL'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvn_Ied9t4M

Bring back Think Different...PLEASE

solid5
Jan 7, 2008, 01:28 AM
Commercial is ****ing retarded. Can it get more childish than that? Leopard is faster than Vista woho! :confused: What the **** is wrong with the MAN

And btw its not all about speed Steve Jobs. Mac needs a lot more things than speed to be better than windows

Dissapointed

chambers7
Jan 7, 2008, 01:32 AM

Sure, it's nowhere near as bad as The Vistah, but the cat's far from perfect.

Don't throw stones if you haven't tried it yourself. Leopard hasn't brought a pile of problems... don't forget that most people who visit these forums because they have problems.

However, I'm a big fan of Apple, but this commercial wasn't very good. It was quite disappointing. The "you're ejected" didn't seem very realistic. When nerds make commercials about football, i guess that's what happens.

hookedonitunes
Jan 7, 2008, 01:42 AM
oh please. I had Tiger on 512MB with my MB, it was so slow I have to update it to 2G. and leopard is asking double the minimum memory requirement of Tiger. 512MB for faster leopard? are you serious?

want to make some decent argument? then lets get some real comparison first, not guess this, imagine that.

You want to show leopard is faster in majority cases (since thats the basic definition of being "faster")? get some test package, put on similar Hardware equipment, and run them side by side!

It's actually very true that Leopard runs faster than Tiger on the same amount of memory because Leopard is more optimized for multiple cores than Tiger is.

coolfactor
Jan 7, 2008, 01:44 AM
I mean, gimme a break, PC guy is the sympathetic loser in every ad, while Mac guy is a summed up entitiy of snobbery, arrogance and so on.

You're generalizing. And you've over-analyzed these commercials. The fact is that they work. Honestly, how many commercials are discussed as in-length as Apple's campaigns? I have complete strangers mention them when the subject of "Mac" comes up. My Mom has commented on them. And these are current or former PC users with a "a computer is a computer" mindset. And not once has someone said that they portray Apple, Macs, or Mac users as arrogant. The *only* people that I've seen say that have been Mac users here in the forums. Fear, that's all. But the fact is there's nothing to be afraid of. Apple is getting the message across with a consistent, subtle effort.

coolfactor
Jan 7, 2008, 01:46 AM
Commercial is ****ing retarded. Can it get more childish than that? Leopard is faster than Vista woho! :confused: What the **** is wrong with the MAN

And btw its not all about speed Steve Jobs. Mac needs a lot more things than speed to be better than windows

Dissapointed

Yes, it's a weak commercial, but it'll do one thing... make people curious. Is it true?... and then they'll find out for themselves by checking out a Mac.

solid5
Jan 7, 2008, 01:52 AM
Yes, it's a weak commercial, but it'll do one thing... make people curious. Is it true?... and then they'll find out for themselves by checking out a Mac.

I know thats how they work, but still I would be ashamed to put something like this out. The UAC commercial was ****ing good. I watched it more than once it was so good done. I have a PC and a Mac and had to laugh about it but this one ... apple should be ashamed

adrianm
Jan 7, 2008, 02:00 AM
I worry that the relentless anti-pc anti-Vista anti Microsoft rhetoric might backfire.

especially when someone wearing too short and too tight trousers is making the judgements (outside the US, it's hard to take them seriously)

Evangelion
Jan 7, 2008, 02:24 AM

Well, like the ad said, it was Wall Street Journal who said that, not Apple

Quillz
Jan 7, 2008, 02:47 AM
I don't care how effective these ads may be, they are stupid and childish and just makes Apple come off as nothing more than a third-rate, immature corporation. Clearly they have terrible products if all they can do is blindly attack the competition. Seriously, is that all they can do? Why not make a commercial that explains the benefits of their hardware, and what makes it better? A referee telling me "Leopard is better" doesn't do much.

inkswamp
Jan 7, 2008, 03:07 AM

I'm running Tiger on a 5-year-old iBook (one of the first white case iBooks.) It has a 500Mhz G3 with 384MB RAM, and it runs great. I'm not cutting movies or recording music on it, of course, but I run Photoshop and Office on it and even those resource hogs do just fine. I also play older games like Oni and Zoo Tycoon and they run beautifully. I have no complaints, especially given the age of the machine.

The OS actually appears to degrade on older machines with remarkable grace, eliminating unnecessary visuals and scaling back when necessary. I'm not sure what it is about your MB that requires 2GB of RAM to make Tiger functional, but your complaints have nothing to do with the OS being inherently slow.

F/reW/re
Jan 7, 2008, 03:10 AM
I don't care how effective these ads may be, they are stupid and childish and just makes Apple come off as nothing more than a third-rate, immature corporation. Clearly they have terrible products if all they can do is blindly attack the competition. Seriously, is that all they can do? Why not make a commercial that explains the benefits of their hardware, and what makes it better? A referee telling me "Leopard is better" doesn't do much.
I agree! This commercial was lame! :mad:

Evangelion
Jan 7, 2008, 03:14 AM

I don't see them "blindly attacking the competition". The ads seem more like a friendly teasing that "blind attacks".

As to your wish... The sixties called: the want their ads back. And in case you missed it, these ads DO tell those things. They have told the viewers that Macs have no viruses, that everything is nicely integrated, that Macs come with loads of useful software right out of the box, that you can start using your computer for useful things right away etc. etc. etc. What they don't do (and what you apparently wish for) is to show a Powerpoint-demonstration displaying the benefits of having a Mac.

Apple has NEVER done those kinds of ads. Their ads have always been about image, rather than list of benefits. "Think Different", it never told ANYTHING about Macs. "1984" didn't tell anything about the product, just that it's going to be released soon. "Switch", didn't tell much about Macs either. And so forth. What you are suggesting is a type of ad that you would see on a home-shopping channel, and that's something that is totally opposite to the way Apple does ads.

Stiksi
Jan 7, 2008, 03:43 AM
Apple has NEVER done those kinds of ads. Their ads have always been about image, rather than list of benefits.

Well, at the moment their image seems to be "we hate Microsoft". For a company that makes computers, it's not the best business plan. For a group of children in a treehouse it's perfectly a valid choice of course.

And for the record, I work in both Leopard and XP with Bootcamp and every time Leopard loses my Airport express or the dock or whatever, I have to switch to XP to keep working. I would love to have Tiger, which actually works, but I bought my MB in the Leopard-era.

These ads appeal to the need for "my dad could beat up your dad" rhetoric and nothing else. They make me less inclined to support apple by buying new stuff, though.

Evangelion
Jan 7, 2008, 03:48 AM
Well, at the moment their image seems to be "we hate Microsoft". For a company that makes computers, it's not the best business plan. For a group of children in a treehouse it's perfectly a valid choice of course.

Um, they are comparing their product to their (for all intents and purposes) only competitor. Nothing in that reeks of "we hate Microsoft". Or are you saying that merely comparing their product to their competitors implies that?

These ads appeal to the need for "my dad could beat up your dad" rhetoric and nothing else.

The look and feel of the ads do not support that conclusion. The ads are not aggressive at all, they are more like friendly taunts and teasing.

carlitofox
Jan 7, 2008, 03:59 AM
guys chill out ........

these ads are a very witty clever way of getting a couple of facts over.

your totaly missing that mac said " i never said that that was .........."

apple have taken somthing somebody printed and used it.

Computer ads are hard to do seeing as really theres only two comercial os's out there vista and os x. it's not like car ads who can say were better than ......(long list of cars) or beer can say etc etc

the ad's don't take them self to serious at all note the in - dig from pc of "where am i ment to go" talking about the blank white backdrop.

Apple is a buisness and their there to make money everybody on here complaines about them but still buys their products guys you should feel yourself lucky i cann't afford a mac after a money sapping break up dispite being desperate for one, so count your blessings.

enjoy the ads for what they are witty and tonuge in cheek it's not the oscars.

Oh-es-Ten
Jan 7, 2008, 04:07 AM

You would be surprised at how many people - I mean normal consumers are now thinking 'we hate Microsoft'. Many friends and relatives are sick of problems with their Windows computers all the time, and this is exactly what Apple is going for in these commercials. And exactly where I point these people when they come to me with these problems.

Sure Vista has Windows Movie Maker, a Photo Program etc, but people won't be swtiching for the sake of swtiching - they switch because they have had enough of their PC and the issues that come with it. I think these ads capture this sentiment perfectly.

People here have a hard time seeing how well this approach is really working. I do make commercials for a living, so I can see how well it works.

BKKbill
Jan 7, 2008, 04:28 AM
Think the best part is when PC turns around looks at all the white and said Where am I supposed to go? And here on MF the debate turns to anti-pc anti-Vista anti Microsoft rhetoric, speed on my five year old mac iWorks typing slow.
Take it for what it is a commercial

panda
Jan 7, 2008, 05:00 AM

there is a second continuity error. the ref in one frame has his hands crossed in front, than in the next, has them placed behind his back.

i find the ad abrasive:(

a456
Jan 7, 2008, 05:01 AM
Many are, but not 'ALL'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvn_Ied9t4M

Bring back Think Different...PLEASE

Apple are going for the jugular these days, getting a reaction by irritating PC stalwarts, fighting back against criticism and trying to make things plain and simple as they encroach more and more on the mainstream. The ad that you cite is far better (as is the 1984 one) but it is literary, arty and political. I absolutely love it but probably more people would buy a Mac because Jack Sparrow or Shrek told them to than seeing a bunch of old-fashioned folks that they probably couldn't name. We all want success for the Mac but we are seeing that it comes at a price, which troubles those that subscribed to the initial ideas that the company grew up with. At the same time the technology is pushing forward and getting in my opinion better, so perhaps Mac users need to grow up and realize that no profit making company can be looked towards for a philosophy or set of ethics. Apple is good to its users but we perhaps need to stop seeing Apple as a way of life and instead just makers of great technology.

EagerDragon
Jan 7, 2008, 05:04 AM

Anybody agree with me?

I feel they are just igniting the PC/Mac fires and starting more arguments with these commercials.

I do not think that Apple is trying to get customers that have never seen or used a computer of any kind. For one they are either dead or dying off. Most people have used a computer.

dernhelm
Jan 7, 2008, 05:13 AM

The ad was designed to remind people that "the tide is turning". Even the WSJ (the consummate business periodical) consistently chooses the Mac over windows PCs for speed and ease of use. It is that simple, keep reminding the 40-somethings that Macs aren't toys anymore.

mccldwll
Jan 7, 2008, 06:32 AM
The ad was designed to remind people that "the tide is turning". Even the WSJ (the consummate business periodical) consistently chooses the Mac over windows PCs for speed and ease of use. It is that simple, keep reminding the 40-somethings that Macs aren't toys anymore.

Yep. It was a good commercial since it effectively conveyed the message to the target demographic. The entire campaign has been a good one. Apple doesn't give a rat's ass whether anyone here liked it or even saw it, and the same is true for most if not all of these commercials. You're not the target. Not even the microsoft plants hanging out here.

lelereb
Jan 7, 2008, 07:11 AM
To me, these ads, the pc blue screen icon on leopard, are childish and embarassing.

It's time to change to something more professional, or perhaps self ironic (if Apple knows self-irony).

JSchwage
Jan 7, 2008, 07:13 AM
Haha. Not bad, but I definitely liked the Christmas one more.

Rot'nApple
Jan 7, 2008, 07:56 AM

My neighbor just got a pc laptop with 4GB RAM and Vista Ultimate preinstalled. You'd think with 4 GB RAM that thing would scream. Not so. It took close to 50 seconds to start up and even she complained about all the bloatedness of trial software and it's slowness in several installed applications. I'm not computer literate especially with PC's let alone Macs and maybe that RAM has to be allocated but as for my overall impression due to my experience trying out her computer was simply, glad it was her notebook and not mine!

guzhogi
Jan 7, 2008, 08:59 AM
While I like these commercials b/c they're funny & cute, I really wish Apple would lay off bashing Vista & PCs in general. It makes Mac users look like jacka**es. If you really want to sell computers, you should take the high road and only do the strengths of your own system rather than bashing your opponent.

jonny
Jan 7, 2008, 09:00 AM
i've gotta say... i find these commercials really annoying and arrogant. I actually feel like a bit of an idiot owning so much apple product when one of these bits comes on. They're embarrassing.

Wharrgarbl
Jan 7, 2008, 09:06 AM
Americans love to root for a scrappy underdog, downtrodden by a slick and confident champion.

It's why mac used to be so cool, so underground, so culty.

Now we see tens of millions of dollars in advertising spent to convince us that the *opposite* is true? What gives?

Why not advertise Macintosh based purely on its' own merits? Why do they need the crutch of constantly comparing it to its' rival?

They paint Vista as being so incredibly bad that the average uninformed consumer (=target audience) will surely assume that they're exaggerating wildly and that Vista can't possibly be all *that* bad.

Why is any of this a good idea?

TheSpecialist
Jan 7, 2008, 09:20 AM
Hahahah funnny:D

starflyer
Jan 7, 2008, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the catch. :o

I remember them as the LA Raiders when we (the Seattle Seahawks) used to face them in the AFC West.

Do you remember the "Raider Busters" commercial from WAY back? I moved from Seattle in '85. I think my parents still have that on tape somewhere :D

starflyer
Jan 7, 2008, 09:25 AM
Major suckage.

Leopard can't truly make that claim until they fix the problems.

They need to invest most of that $15 billion in quality control, hardware and software development, and Leopard.

PUT DOWN THE DAMN IPHONE, STEVE! :mad:

All they are doing is pointing out what the Wall Street Journal said. They are the ones who made the claim.

starflyer
Jan 7, 2008, 09:37 AM
True, it's a continuity error. But it's completely unimportant. I didn't notice it until you pointed it out, and 99% of people never will. And, if you really look for it, almost everything ever seen on TV or in a movie theater has such continuity errors.

Not relly...the flag is still there...he probably pushed it further into his pocket when the camera panned to PC

Masquerade
Jan 7, 2008, 10:31 AM
no sense

Macmanus
Jan 7, 2008, 10:33 AM
Another ad to present Mac users as morons.

Can't wait to see Jobs take the highway to hell...

kingtj
Jan 7, 2008, 11:02 AM
Have you seen the drops in RAM prices recently? It's insanely cheap to fully max. out the RAM on just about any PC or Mac notebook you might own. Even the Mac Pro, with the oddball, expensive DIMMS it uses, has gotten to where you can add another 4GB for $160 (Other World Computing).

Current Macbook models come standard with 1GB in them, too.

Given this scenario, I don't think it's worth debating how Leopard runs vs. XP or Vista on a system with as little as 512MB of RAM in it. Just as it's clearly a bad idea to run XP on a system with 128MB or even 256MB ... it's also a bad idea to putter along with less than 1GB of RAM on a current OS X installation.

I've used enough brand new PCs pre-loaded with Vista to know that overall, they feel "sluggish" to me, compared to many OS X Tiger and Leopard based Macs I've used. Even if benchmarks would show that timed on a stopwatch, a given application launches and runs a little faster on Vista than in OS X, the overall "experience" doesn't project that feeling to the user, IMHO.

All too often, Vista feels like it's "too busy" to process my command to run something, such as Internet Explorer, and I'm stuck waiting as long as 4 or 5 seconds for it to finally open up after I told it to launch. Other times, Vista just slows me down because of all the confirmation dialog boxes it generates during software installations or updates. I'd agree that the OS X experience is "faster" (assuming a decent amount of RAM).

ryannel2003
Jan 7, 2008, 11:17 AM
It was ok... i've seen better commercials from Apple before. But hey, not every single one is gonna be to people's liking. However, even if you loathe them, you will still remember that commercial. So when you telling your friends about how bad the commercials or how much you hate Apple, the other person will be looking for it on TV next time. That's how advertising works...

As for Leopard, it must be me but all of these "problems" people are having is non-existent on my iMac. I mean, the only problem I have with the computer is the wireless dropping out at times... but i'm sure that has to do with the router. But it has been the most refined, elegant, and fast OS that Apple has ever put out. In my opinion at least...

tk421
Jan 7, 2008, 11:51 AM
Not relly...the flag is still there...he probably pushed it further into his pocket when the camera panned to PC

I was replying to somebody else. They complained about a "continuity error." I didn't.

sunfast
Jan 7, 2008, 11:56 AM
Just got home from work and seen the ad, hilarious!

tuartboy
Jan 7, 2008, 12:07 PM
Wow, that really wasn't insightful or funny.

TheRuggedLion
Jan 7, 2008, 01:42 PM
Unfortunately most people who see this ad have no idea what "Vista" and "Leopard" are.

Took the words out my mouth. How is someone like my sister, who doesn't know too much about computers, supposed to know what Leopard is? Maybe they should say Mac OS.

Str8edgepunker
Jan 7, 2008, 01:50 PM
"Where am I supposed to go?" says it all. That part really got me laughing. :D

FoxyKaye
Jan 7, 2008, 04:13 PM
OK - I'm now officially sick of the "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" ads. I wonder if Apple's going to drag these on another 3 years like the iPod dancing silhouette ads?

Hey Steve! Maybe it's time for Apple to get a new ad agency, hmm?

JML42691
Jan 7, 2008, 04:21 PM
I liked the Christmas one a little better, but this is not their worst.

bluedevil14
Jan 7, 2008, 04:25 PM
I loved this ad, saw it during the Chargers-Tennessee game on Sunday.

Willis
Jan 7, 2008, 04:51 PM
hmm, not as good as some of their other adverts..

BWhaler
Jan 7, 2008, 05:04 PM
I thought this one was trite and lacked any sense of wit.

A friend once commented after he got his iPhone that Apple just doesn't get sports or sports fans. It's just not their culture

I asked why and he commented that the fact that sports scores are missing from being built-in to the iPhone home page and the Dashboard. Sure, they can be added, but sports are just so core to so many people.

This ad is another reflection. It's just not good.

MrSmith
Jan 7, 2008, 05:27 PM
Apple isn't even trying anymore. Soon it'll just be 'Get a Mac. They're better. The end'.

solid5
Jan 7, 2008, 07:36 PM
Steve acts like a child many times so I am not suprised the commercials are about childish **** like leopard is faster than vista ... its so embarrasing. How can a company like apple do this, isnt there a better way

I dont understand what all the talk about vista being slow is about. I got a PC and a Mac and I dont see any difference. The only thing in vista slow was file copying but now is fixed for me with all the updates and with sp1 RC and when shutting down which were driver issues.

Apple needs to ease up like some people on the internet and go outside

gkarris
Jan 7, 2008, 07:46 PM
Steve acts like a child many times so I am not suprised the commercials are about childish **** like leopard is faster than vista ... its so embarrasing. How can a company like apple do this, isnt there a better way

I dont understand what all the talk about vista being slow is about. I got a PC and a Mac and I dont see any difference. The only thing in vista slow was file copying but now is fixed for me with all the updates and with sp1 RC and when shutting down which were driver issues.

Apple needs to ease up like some people on the internet and go outside

Yes, the whole "I'm a PC, I'm a Mac, and BTW, I'm better" has gotten way old.

Now in response to this latest, I get to hear a Dell fanboy at church say that "for the price of a Mini, he can config an Intel Quad Core which is faster on Vista than a Mini on Leopard" - BFD...

I just got a PS3 and love it - so much for the whole XB360 vs PS3, and the HD DVD vs Blu-ray for that matter...

Geesh, everyone, it's okay if someone has something different. Go out, buy something, and enjoy it.

Different strokes for different folks...

kwfl
Jan 7, 2008, 07:48 PM
i think this is rubbish
recently, i think only the christmas ad was funny, the rest are only boring.

TheSlush
Jan 7, 2008, 08:07 PM
Not the best, not the worst. The amusing part to me is them joking on themselves: PC is wondering where to go because they're always just standing in that white void. Kinda funny.

inkswamp
Jan 7, 2008, 08:07 PM
Steve acts like a child many times so I am not suprised the commercials are about childish ****

Oh, cool. You must be friends with Steve Jobs to make such definite comments about his personal behavior. Interesting. Of course, you wouldn't be silly enough to make damning comments like that based on someone's public image which everyone knows is often built up on exaggerations and secondhand info and reporters often times trying to make a story where one might not exist.

like leopard is faster than vista ... its so embarrasing. How can a company like apple do this, isnt there a better way

Gee, you joined in Jan. of 2008 and are here making contentious comments that almost seem like a troll at work. Not that I'm saying that's what you're doing, but it's strange because nobody on MacRumors has ever heard of people joining just to cause trouble. That never happens. Ever.

You have an interesting posting history of three posts, all hammering on the same negative point. Gee. I'm so taking your opinion seriously right now. :rolleyes:

some people on the internet and go outside

Wise words. I would recommend printing that out and taping it to your fridge.

bluedevil14
Jan 7, 2008, 08:15 PM

hahahahaha

solid5
Jan 7, 2008, 08:40 PM
Oh, cool. You must be friends with Steve Jobs to make such definite comments about his personal behavior. Interesting. Of course, you wouldn't be silly enough to make damning comments like that based on someone's public image which everyone knows is often built up on exaggerations and secondhand info and reporters often times trying to make a story where one might not exist.

He is childish many times and thats it. Of course he has a serious side but there is a child in him.Its not what I read or heard from other people as you say but what I see and hear from the man himself. And those commercials are just another point

Gee, you joined in Jan. of 2008 and are here making contentious comments that almost seem like a troll at work. Not that I'm saying that's what you're doing, but it's strange because nobody on MacRumors has ever heard of people joining just to cause trouble. That never happens. Ever.

I am on this side from july 06 and I am no troll I said I liked the UAC one which was original and funny. I said I like my PC and Mac. And I think Apple just doesnt know when to stop with those commercials. They were funny and good at the beginning but its time for something different

You have an interesting posting history of three posts, all hammering on the same negative point. Gee. I'm so taking your opinion seriously right now. :rolleyes:

Ha ha you are so funny. Now you are looking at my post counts. Ha ha.You think I care what you think. I just had to post what I posted because after I saw the ad I had enough. Now I am gonna take my own advice and go. Because with your post I saw you are one of those people who is to much into this ****.

Aperture
Jan 7, 2008, 08:47 PM
Kinda getting tired of these ads. I really would wish Apple would make commercials to showcase the features of Leopard, similar to the iPhone commercials. Show why it is better.

Breckenridge
Jan 7, 2008, 09:17 PM
PC, as always, is insecurely funny. Nevertheless, doesn't PC stand for Personal Computer? A Mac is a PC, what happened to the phrase "IBM compatible" :)

jonny
Jan 7, 2008, 09:49 PM
Kinda getting tired of these ads. I really would wish Apple would make commercials to showcase the features of Leopard, similar to the iPhone commercials. Show why it is better.

A-*********-MEN.

sitarro
Jan 8, 2008, 01:51 AM
This commercial isn't nearly as witty as the previous ones. It's really more of a blatant attack ad, whether it's true or not. If it played on someone else's observation (like the PC Magazine Fastest Notebook ad) it would be better.

--Chris

Actually, the referee's call was about the fact that Mac didn't say that Leopard was faster than Vista, The Wall Street Journal did. It DID play on another's observation. Blatant attack ad???? I would suggest you and the other wannabe experts pay a little better attention.

I find the criticism of this ad about as relevant as the constant inane criticism of every product Apple puts out immediately after it's announced. I'm curious, how many of you nerds are advertising professionals? Hardware engineers? Marketing people? Apple seems to be doing just fine without the dumbass comments from gamer mentalities.

The idea that some of you think the Mac character is arrogant is amazing, he is always the patient one trying to help the dufuss PC...... how is that arrogant?

sitarro
Jan 8, 2008, 01:57 AM
Yep. It was a good commercial since it effectively conveyed the message to the target demographic. The entire campaign has been a good one. Apple doesn't give a rat's ass whether anyone here liked it or even saw it, and the same is true for most if not all of these commercials. You're not the target. Not even the microsoft plants hanging out here.

It is nice to see that someone on this site actually gets it.

Frosty1
Jan 8, 2008, 02:00 AM
haha ya I just saw the ad and its not bad, but apple really needs to stop with these ads as they are getting annoying now.

P.a fist post on my new toch yaaay keybaord ain't that bad typing on just gatta get the hang of it

MrSmith
Jan 8, 2008, 02:06 AM
Actually, the referee's call was about the fact that Mac didn't say that Leopard was faster than Vista, The Wall Street Journal did. It DID play on another's observation. Blatant attack ad???? I would suggest you and the other wannabe experts pay a little better attention.

I find the criticism of this ad about as relevant as the constant inane criticism of every product Apple puts out immediately after it's announced. I'm curious, how many of you nerds are advertising professionals? Hardware engineers? Marketing people? Apple seems to be doing just fine without the dumbass comments from gamer mentalities.

The idea that some of you think the Mac character is arrogant is amazing, he is always the patient one trying to help the dufuss PC...... how is that arrogant?
The only thing I understand less than the ad (which must be an American sports thing) is the tone of your post.

sitarro
Jan 8, 2008, 03:28 AM
The only thing I understand less than the ad (which must be an American sports thing) is the tone of your post.

Really, you don't understand the ad? It is an ad designed to be run during the ridiculous amount of hours of mindless American football games during the final weeks of the season. PC is claiming that MAC has stated that Leopard is faster than Vista. MAC says that it isn't he but the Wall Street Journal that made the claim. PC has brought the referee in to officiate the debate and upon reviewing the Wall Street Journal article (he is reviewing it on the screen provided for referees to view instant replays when a call is disputed) he rules in favor of MAC. PC disputes the call and acts like a typical childish coach on the sideline of a game so he is ejected from the debate. Did you really not get it?

The tone of my post....... I think the post speaks for itself.

MrSmith
Jan 8, 2008, 03:47 AM
Really, you don't understand the ad? It is an ad designed to be run during the ridiculous amount of hours of mindless American football games during the final weeks of the season. PC is claiming that MAC has stated that Leopard is faster than Vista. MAC says that it isn't he but the Wall Street Journal that made the claim. PC has brought the referee in to officiate the debate and upon reviewing the Wall Street Journal article (he is reviewing it on the screen provided for referees to view instant replays when a call is disputed) he rules in favor of MAC. PC disputes the call and acts like a typical childish coach on the sideline of a game so he is ejected from the debate. Did you really not get it?

The tone of my post....... I think the post speaks for itself.
There are a potential 6.x billion people on the planet who have never seen a game of 'American' football. I'm one of them. If I understood the ad I wouldn't have said I didn't.

The tone of your post...I didn't understand why it was so obnoxious.

PCMacUser
Jan 8, 2008, 04:50 AM
There are a potential 6.x billion people on the planet who have never seen a game of 'American' football. I'm one of them. If I understood the ad I wouldn't have said I didn't.

Hmm, I don't think this type of sporting behaviour is limited to American Football. You see it in other sports too, such as tennis - which is the third most watched sport in the world.

But yeah, these ads have got to go. They are misleading. I've worked for an Apple distributor and found that when someone mentions those ads, rather than saying 'yeah they're great', you find yourself having to explain to the customer that the claims they make are generally inaccurate. e.g., the bloatware ad - it doesn't go down too well when you're having to talk a customer through uninstalling trial versions of Office 2004 and iWorks, and then explaining that their computer is wasting hard drive capacity because it has gigabytes of printer drivers and language packs installed that they will never ever use.

But I digress.

The whole Leopard vs Vista issue is a waste of time. To me, it's a 'lesser of two evils' situation. Yes, Vista is slow and buggy. But so is Leopard (on my iBook anyway). What do I gain from Leopard? Nothing really. What do I gain from Vista? DX10 graphics. So alas, Leopard can go but Vista must remain if I want those sweet sweet shaders and polygons in Bioshock :)

inkswamp
Jan 8, 2008, 12:39 PM
He is childish many times and thats it. Of course he has a serious side but there is a child in him.Its not what I read or heard from other people as you say but what I see and hear from the man himself. And those commercials are just another point

So you know him personally? I can't imagine making these kinds of comments without actually knowing him. And bear in mind, that what you see in the news and in "biographies" are usually an exaggeration to make it all more dramatic and more interesting. Of course, you wouldn't be naive enough to take all that seriously. I'm sure you know him personally, right?

I am on this side from july 06 and I am no troll

You joined Jan. 2008 and have posted a few negative, troll-like comments. Your posting history speaks for itself.

Ha ha you are so funny. Now you are looking at my post counts. Ha ha.You think I care what you think. I just had to post what I posted because after I saw the ad I had enough. Now I am gonna take my own advice and go. Because with your post I saw you are one of those people who is to much into this ****.

Ah, the classic ad hominem troll. Nice touch, subtly done. I'm slightly impressed. :rolleyes:

solid5
Jan 8, 2008, 04:39 PM
So you know him personally? I can't imagine making these kinds of comments without actually knowing him. And bear in mind, that what you see in the news and in "biographies" are usually an exaggeration to make it all more dramatic and more interesting. Of course, you wouldn't be naive enough to take all that seriously. I'm sure you know him personally, right?

Who in the world tries to act as a child but normally isnt, no one except comedians on TV. Business people definately not!!! So you can stop convincing me otherwise. Its my opinion that he is many times childish and thats it if you dont agree so be it. Who cares.

You joined Jan. 2008 and have posted a few negative, troll-like comments. Your posting history speaks for itself.

Woho Mr Detective:D
You like to play Detective I see, very nice statement short and to the point, I like it

Ah, the classic ad hominem troll. Nice touch, subtly done. I'm slightly impressed. :rolleyes:

As I said think what you want I am not going to defend myself:D detective or Apple lawyer or from the first comment I could think you might be steve jobs girlfriend.

EDIT: So you have to first post something positive before you can post something negative in the forums before being accused of something Mr detective? You said it never happens people dont register and post something negative. I am sure you are right ... not! People complain here all the time when they get their first mac or whatever apple product and have problems or it doesnt work and return it and got something different when they are sick of it.

Yeah I read the forums, nice try to break me detective. Now just leave me alone and play detective with someone else and ease up a little dont call someone a troll when its just about a stupid commercial and not about apples hardware or Mac OS

PCMacUser
Jan 8, 2008, 05:22 PM
Yeah I read the forums, nice try to break me detective. Now just leave me alone and play detective with someone else and ease up a little dont call someone a troll when its just about a stupid commercial and not about apples hardware or Mac OS

You've been baited and you went for it. It's best just not to respond...

nsbio
Jan 8, 2008, 09:48 PM
You might want to mix a bit of Mavis Beacon in your daily repertoire. :rolleyes: I use iWork '08 on a daily basis and text appears on the screen as fast as I hit the key.

Well, that is one way to do that. Another way is to upgrade my G4 PB to something that is faster. Pages is slow on G4, and chokes completely if anything else is running in the background. Heck, it seems to slow down even if joggers happen to be running by outside of my window! At the same time, Pages runs very well on a G5 machine. Word 04 runs better (acceptable) on both machines. So a third way would be for Apple to optimize the performance of their software (Microsoft did it after several updates, why can't Apple?), but that might be wishful thinking.

Domofloge
Jan 8, 2008, 10:53 PM
This ad looks really funny and I cant wait to see it on tv..

:apple:Mac's are theeeeeee best.:apple:

mccldwll
Jan 9, 2008, 05:49 AM
The whole Leopard vs Vista issue is a waste of time. To me, it's a 'lesser of two evils' situation. Yes, Vista is slow and buggy. But so is Leopard (on my iBook anyway). What do I gain from Leopard? Nothing really. What do I gain from Vista? DX10 graphics. So alas, Leopard can go but Vista must remain if I want those sweet sweet shaders and polygons in Bioshock :)

The ad is not aimed at Vista or Leopard software buyers. It's aimed at computer buyers, and you can only get Leopard on Macs. It's a comparative ad (two products). Football is a comparative sport (two teams). Big game viewers are in a comparative mindset. There's a winner and a loser. People prefer winners. The WSJ names Leopard the winner (and it's confirmed/reinforced in the ad). That's advertising. And it works.

BKKbill
Jan 10, 2008, 11:22 PM
You've been baited and you went for it. It's best just not to respond...

Rational thinking is so much nicer than yelling.

MikeTheC
Jan 11, 2008, 12:11 AM
MIKETHEC ON SELF-DEFEATISM VS. SUCCESS

Sorry, folks, excuse me, but I really don't get why so many people here seem to think that when someone says something, doubly- and triply especially when it's truth-based, and it's towards their own benefit, that somehow it's evil or wrong.

Some of you are some of the most hopelessly lost, self-defeatest folks I know. Now, it's true that this phenomena extends beyond the present venue of Macs, and even Macs vs. PCs, and into a lot of other areas of life. But really it's pretty small-minded and completely and utterly the wrong way of thinking.

You do not win by striving for second-best. You do not win by not playing hard. You do not win by playing it safe or otherwise not going for it. That's a sure path to failure, and inevitably leads to it every time it's tried.

Show me one thing in this ad that cannot be backed up by not just anecdotal, but in fact quantifiable, measurable evidence.

Geez, people, grow a pair and go outside already. You can't live in your parents' house, dressed in diapers the whole rest of your life wishing for everything to be made arbitrarily fair just because you think competition of ideas "is just so unfair and nasty".

MikeTheC
Jan 11, 2008, 12:33 AM

And you actually expect them to be educated by a 30, heck even a 60 or 90 second television ad? (That's assuming a theoretical 90 second ad space actually existed.)

People who are that technologically unsavvy need to recognize this on their own and get up off their lazy butts and do something about it. Very little else drives me as crazy as trying to cater constantly to the lowest common denominator does.

For crying out loud, those kinds of people probably wouldn't have an expectation level that would warrant even the purchase of a Mac mini, much less anything else nicer or better that Apple makes. Those folks are the ones (especially now-a-days when there's absolutely no excuse in a first-world country to be an adult and still technologically ignorant) for whom a $200 PC is best targeted, honestly.

Then, if they find that computer technology is really to their liking, they have the perfect opportunity to expand their own minds, their own education and their own frame of reference and get something truly upscale and world class.

bowens
Jan 11, 2008, 06:55 AM
I haven't seen this one yet. It sounds funny.

sitarro
Jan 12, 2008, 08:12 PM
And you actually expect them to be educated by a 30, heck even a 60 or 90 second television ad? (That's assuming a theoretical 90 second ad space actually existed.)

People who are that technologically unsavvy need to recognize this on their own and get up off their lazy butts and do something about it. Very little else drives me as crazy as trying to cater constantly to the lowest common denominator does.

For crying out loud, those kinds of people probably wouldn't have an expectation level that would warrant even the purchase of a Mac mini, much less anything else nicer or better that Apple makes. Those folks are the ones (especially now-a-days when there's absolutely no excuse in a first-world country to be an adult and still technologically ignorant) for whom a $200 PC is best targeted, honestly.

Then, if they find that computer technology is really to their liking, they have the perfect opportunity to expand their own minds, their own education and their own frame of reference and get something truly upscale and world class.

Very true Mike, trying to educate the uninterested with a 30-60 second ad is a waste of time. I see this ad as an attempt to raise the curiosity level of potential customers to get them into an Apple store where they can find real information in as great a detail as they want. It was geared for this football season and it works just fine.