Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rebob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
With iTunes for Windows coming out apparently in just days, wouldn't this be a good time to buy Apple stock?

If one had bought Apple stock right before the G5's came out, the investment would have more than doubled by now.

Any opinions? Predictions?

Obviously the G5's introduction was only one factor in the stock's recent rise.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=AAPL&t=6m&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Timing the market is usually a bad idea, you're buying Apple at a high and hoping it'll go higher, it may or may not.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
yep this happens a lot. people suddenly become charles schwab and tell us to buy. apple's stock as not doubled since g5's came out. it has grown about 10 dollars since the ipod and music store came out in april. apple is a risky company to put stock in and i personally dont. it may go up, or it may go down. and i dont believe the music store is days away. but anyways, i would rather put my money in a different company than apple, they are a gamble.

iJon

joeyjojoe

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
the stock has gained about a dollar overall (5%) since the g5 was announced. you shouldn't go off product development when investing unless the product is totally revolutionary (i.e. if apple came out with a teleportation device ... iPort).

to clarify what someone else said earlier, apple stock has not gone up because of iPods and iTunes, but reather because it had hit a relative low before these products were announced.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by joeyjojoe
the stock has gained about a dollar overall (5%) since the g5 was announced. you shouldn't go off product development when investing unless the product is totally revolutionary (i.e. if apple came out with a teleportation device ... iPort).

to clarify what someone else said earlier, apple stock has not gone up because of iPods and iTunes, but reather because it had hit a relative low before these products were announced.
well im not claiming to be charles schwab either, i just know they were lurking around the 12 dollar for the most part of that year and then after iTMS came out the stock shot up about 7 dollars over the next couple of weeks.

iJon

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Heck you could buy the majority of companies in the world using the by placing a $ sign in front of Microsofts shares outstanding.

10.82 Billion Shares Outstanding :eek:

Rebob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
im not claiming to be charles schwab either

Thank you. Interesting points, all probably valid. Maybe I'll buy actual apples, which my family can eat. ;)

Attachments

• aapl.gif
    aapl.gif
    22 KB · Views: 165

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: im not claiming to be charles schwab either

Originally posted by Rebob
Thank you. Interesting points, all probably valid. Maybe I'll buy actual apples, which my family can eat. ;)
yeah stock is a complicated thing. but from just looking in the past apple hasnt been all that great. but they have looked good since april so who knows. maybe itunes for windows will drive it another 7 dollars. its not a gamble im willing to take.

iJon

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Apple is selling high right now. I personally wouldn't buy. Now if their growth becomes a trend over, say, a full calendar year, then maybe. But Apple is a long term investment, I would think. Not a day or swing trader type of investment.

But I'm not Chaz. Schwabb, either. ;)

joeyjojoe

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
apple, along with most high tech/computer companies, is a medium risk investment. my personal opinion is that the stock will drop in the next few months and then steadily increase after december. i'm holding for the time being (i bought at 14, so i can stand to wait a little).

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
I have had apple stock for a few years and have always hoped that announcements like these would increase its value.

Unfortunately it has rarely worked out how I expected it to.

My only suggestion is buy low sell high( dont buy now)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.