PDA

View Full Version : Andrea Jung Joins Apple's Board Of Directors

MacRumors
Jan 7, 2008, 08:23 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has announced that Andrea Jung has been elected to Apple's board (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/01/07jung.html). Andrea also serves as Chairman and CEO of Avon Products, board member of General Electric, and member of the New York Presbyterian Hospital board of trustees and the Catalyst board of directors.

"Andrea is a strong CEO and marketer and we look forward to benefiting from her insights and experience as a member of Apple’s board,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Andrea will be our eighth board member, and I think she will add a new dimension to our already lively board discussions.”

"Apple is clearly one of the most innovative companies in the world today," said Andrea Jung, chairman and chief executive officer of Avon Products. “I feel privileged to join this exciting and dynamic team and look forward to working closely with Steve and the board during the next phase of Apple’s growth.”

At Avon, Andrea is responsible for developing and executing all of the company’s long-term growth strategies, launching new brand initiatives, developing earnings opportunities for women worldwide, and defining Avon as the premier direct seller of beauty products. She was elected president of global marketing in 1996, an executive vice president in 1997, president and a director of the company in 1998, chief operating officer from 1998 to 1999, chief executive officer in 1999 and chairman of the board in 2001. Previously, she was executive vice president of Neiman Marcus and a senior vice president for I. Magnin.

Andrea is a magna cum laude graduate of Princeton University, is fluent in Mandarin and was the first woman elected chair of the Cosmetic, Toiletry, and Fragrance Association in March 2001, a role she held until early 2005.

She joins fellow board members (http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/bod.html) Bill Campbell (Chairman and former CEO of Intuit), Millard Drexler (Chairman and CEO of J. Crew), Albert Gore (Former Vice President of the United States), Steve Jobs (CEO, Apple), Arthur D. Levinson Ph.D (Chairman and CEO of Genentech), Dr. Eric Schmidt (CEO of Google), and Jerry York (Chairman, President, and CEO of Harwinton Capital)

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/07/andrea-jung-joins-apples-board-of-directors/)

Bruizer
Jan 7, 2008, 08:28 AM
Things don't smell right at Apple anymore:-)

PaulinMaryland
At the risk of sounding like a Neanderthal... Andrea is smokin' hot (http://images.google.com/images?q=Andrea+Jung&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS256US257&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi)!

Dreyfus
Scented MacBooks next Tuesday :D

AdeFowler
Jan 7, 2008, 08:30 AM
I bet she's made up with that.

samh004
Jan 7, 2008, 08:31 AM
Do you think their board meetings are all held over iChat, as they all seem to be very busy people in many different other lines of work at the same time. I can't imagine how hard it must be to get them all in the same room.

And on a geeky note, does Steve have a version of iChat that works with 8 users, instead of 4.

Popeye206
Jan 7, 2008, 08:34 AM
Oh no! Now we're going to have Pink iPods and iMacs! :D

sunfast
Jan 7, 2008, 08:35 AM
Do you think their board meetings are all held over iChat, as they all seem to be very busy people in many different other lines of work at the same time. I can't imagine how hard it must be to get them all in the same room.

And on a geeky note, does Steve have a version of iChat that works with 8 users, instead of 4.

No, they'll use an IM client that actually works

I'm pissed off with iChat at the moment

gifford
Jan 7, 2008, 08:37 AM
Quite a line up of directors (bar Albert Gore).

But is this Apples future..

http://privateevent.co.uk/underground/img/gallery/19_1197602874.jpg

jholzner
Jan 7, 2008, 08:38 AM
No, they'll use an IM client that actually works

I'm pissed off with iChat at the moment

Hm. iChat works perfectly for me including video/audio and file sharing with quicklook.

iJawn108
Jan 7, 2008, 08:38 AM
Andrea is a magna cum laude graduate of Princeton University

Arn't most jersey girls.

JK

iconboy
Jan 7, 2008, 08:40 AM
At the risk of sounding like a Neanderthal... Andrea is smokin' hot (http://images.google.com/images?q=Andrea+Jung&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS256US257&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi)!

you dont risk sounding like a neanderthal, you risk sounding like you have very bad taste in women! lol that is one ugly looking woman- or a very very pretty man. ;)

btw, why as an average consumer should i care about this? and why is it front page news on a mac RUMOR site?

BornAgainMac
Jan 7, 2008, 08:41 AM
iChat HD Pro CEO Edition.

damacus
Jan 7, 2008, 08:46 AM
DING DONG, the Avon lady!

Small White Car
Jan 7, 2008, 08:51 AM
btw, why as an average consumer should i care about this? and why is it front page news on a mac RUMOR site?

An "average" consumer shouldn't even be here. When Apple makes an announcement most big newspapers will report it the next day in their tech columns. That's all an average consumer needs to know. Just by being here you've proved you care about small details like this.

sebastianlewis
Jan 7, 2008, 08:57 AM
Apparently she's also on the Board of Directors at General Electric, and she also focuses a lot on corporate image, I guess you have to with a makeup company. Right now it appears Avon is in cost cutting mode if this (http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/fortune/0709/gallery.women_mostpowerful.fortune/9.html) is anything to go by. Well whatever, I can't do any proper research in only 20 minutes before school so I'll leave it to someone else to pull up information as to why Apple may have brought her on board.

Sebastian

dukeblue91
Jan 7, 2008, 08:57 AM

Average at best.

Aniej
Jan 7, 2008, 08:59 AM
While I'm more indifferent about this addition to the Board of Directors than annoyed, I am a bit puzzled about what it is that Apple seeks to derive from her contribution to the company's governance. I understand why Schmidt, Gore, and literally every other member of the Board was asked to join, but just don't get the angle Jung brings. In reaching for some reasoned basis for her inclusion, the closest I get is the high end design and consumer market, but even then it seems to be a bit of a stretch.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Google Finance description of Avon Products, Inc. - a global manufacturer and marketer of beauty and related products. Its products fall into three product categories: Beauty, which consists of cosmetics, fragrances, skin care and toiletries (CFT); Beauty Plus, which consists of fashion jewelry, watches, apparel and accessories, and Beyond Beauty, which consists of home products and gift and decorative products. Sales from Health and Wellness products and mark., a global cosmetics brand that focuses on the market for young women, are included among these three categories based on product type. Its business is conducted worldwide primarily in one channel, direct selling. The Company’s segments are based on geographic operations in six regions: North America; Latin America; western Europe, Middle East & Africa; Central & Eastern Europe; Asia Pacific, and China.

Arcus
Jan 7, 2008, 08:59 AM
iLipgloss

Max E Verde
Jan 7, 2008, 09:00 AM
Screw Avon, she's on the board of GE! Maybe she can help NBC and Apple solve their differences and possibly get NBC TV shows back on iTunes along with Universal movies and iTunes plus music (hoping).

Aniej
Jan 7, 2008, 09:02 AM

Smokin hot? that's a pretty bold statement! I'd go more with somewhat attractive at best, but to each his, or perhaps her, own.

Queso
Jan 7, 2008, 09:03 AM
Screw Avon, she's on the board of GE! Maybe she can help NBC and Apple solve their differences and possibly get NBC TV shows back on iTunes along with Universal movies and iTunes plus music (hoping).
At least someone gets it. Well done that man :)

MrCrowbar
Jan 7, 2008, 09:03 AM
Hm. iChat works perfectly for me including video/audio and file sharing with quicklook.

You lucky b****** :p
Only appleeu3test01,02 , and 03 work for me. No matter which network I'm on, it doesn't work. :(

It would make sense those board meetings are done over telecommunication. I think they use regular phone lines though, as those are hard to get listened to by rumor sites.

carlitofox
Jan 7, 2008, 09:04 AM
Apparently she's also on the Board of Directors at General Electric, and she also focuses a lot on corporate image, I guess you have to with a makeup company. Right now it appears Avon is in cost cutting mode if this (http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/fortune/0709/gallery.women_mostpowerful.fortune/9.html) is anything to go by. Well whatever, I can't do any proper research in only 20 minutes before school so I'll leave it to someone else to pull up information as to why Apple may have brought her on board.

Sebastian

(Max E beat me to it ......)

hello don't GE own NBC ?????

Steve pulls a master stroke once more.

Small White Car
Jan 7, 2008, 09:10 AM

Yeah. From your description of things she's in charge of at Avon: "fashion jewelry, watches, apparel and accessories."

This may be hard for people here to understand, but there are a LOT of people out there who make MP3 player choices based on looks over gigabytes.

The iPod Mini sold amazingly well even though it offered less horsepower than the regular iPod at the time. Why? Because there were a ton of people who wanted something smaller and more colurful. That was an amazing success for Apple, and it's the reason the Nano of today comes in more than just 'white.'

This is the kind of thing this woman seems to be an expert at and just because we don't really care so much about it doesn't mean it's not important. Ask yourself this: How many times have you seen the Zune's color mentioned in reviews of it? I'm betting it's more than once, hmm?

EDIT: And I'm not saying she'll be designing anything, but when Ives comes up with all sorts of ideas he has to ask someone "which of these is going to be most popular with the kids this year?" Great art is one thing, but at some point you have to narrow it down to what will sell best.

MrCrowbar
Jan 7, 2008, 09:10 AM
iChat HD Pro CEO Edition.

hmmm, me likey.

Do the current Macbooks have the same high resolution iSights ans iMacs and Macbook Pros? I have an old Macbook and the camera gives me 320x240, visibly upscaled to 640x480. If anyone has a recent Macbook, please do me a favor and open photobooth and use the stretch effect. On current iMacs, it looks very nice and sharp because of the better camera. Can someone take a pic with photobooth stretch effect and post it here?

SciTeach
Jan 7, 2008, 09:12 AM
She was probably picked as CEO to give a different perspective (including a woman's point of view) to where Apple can go in the future. With experience in Avon and Neiman Marcus, she probably knows a few things about selling to the masses. I think many people will be hung up on the Avon to give her kudos for her experiences. Personally, as long as Apple keeps improving their products, I'm not really interested who is on the board.

Mac21ND
Jan 7, 2008, 09:12 AM
While I'm more indifferent about this addition to the Board of Directors than annoyed, I am a bit puzzled about what it is that Apple seeks to derive from her contribution to the company's governance. I understand why Schmidt, Gore, and literally every other member of the Board was asked to join, but just don't get the angle Jung brings. In reaching for some reasoned basis for her inclusion, the closest I get is the high end design and consumer market, but even then it seems to be a bit of a stretch.

Google Finance description of Avon Products, Inc. - a global manufacturer and marketer of beauty and related products. Its products fall into three product categories: Beauty, which consists of cosmetics, fragrances, skin care and toiletries (CFT); Beauty Plus, which consists of fashion jewelry, watches, apparel and accessories, and Beyond Beauty, which consists of home products and gift and decorative products. Sales from Health and Wellness products and mark., a global cosmetics brand that focuses on the market for young women, are included among these three categories based on product type. Its business is conducted worldwide primarily in one channel, direct selling. The Company’s segments are based on geographic operations in six regions: North America; Latin America; western Europe, Middle East & Africa; Central & Eastern Europe; Asia Pacific, and China.

In general, it's a good idea to round out your board with people who have experience in other fields or industries. There's a a lot of common best practices that transcend industries, no matter what the product is. I also, hate to say it, but having more women on your board is looked at as good - especially for tech companies that may be viewed as dominated by white males. I'm sure she's more than qualified, but having that type of gender/ethnic diversity is viewed as a requirement. (There's also benefits to having that type of diversity, but that's a whole other tangent for another thread...)

SthrnCmfrtr
Jan 7, 2008, 09:13 AM

No. (http://www.sherei.com/fb/andreajung.jpg)

mark4d
Jan 7, 2008, 09:15 AM
I am a bit puzzled about what it is that Apple seeks to derive from her contribution to the company's governance. I understand why Schmidt, Gore, and literally every other member of the Board was asked to join, but just don't get the angle Jung brings. In reaching for some reasoned basis for her inclusion, the closest I get is the high end design and consumer market, but even then it seems to be a bit of a stretch.

The first thing that jumps out at me is that she is fluent in Mandarin. Perhaps her role will be focused on helping Apple understand the Chinese market? Aren't iPhones scheduled to launch in China sometime in 2008 or 2009?

Blue Velvet
Jan 7, 2008, 09:16 AM
This is the kind of thing this woman seems to be an expert at...

She's also: board member of General Electric, and member of the New York Presbyterian Hospital board of trustees and the Catalyst board of directors. As well as speaking fluent Mandarin, handy for dealing with Apple's plans for the Chinese market.

More experience in her pinkie fingernail than probably all of MacRumor's forum posters combined... including the misogynists.

tjcampbell
Jan 7, 2008, 09:18 AM
Here comes the Hello Kitty macbooks.

QCassidy352
Jan 7, 2008, 09:22 AM

Right, cause having a former vice president of the united states and emmy/oscar/nobel winning activist on the board is something that any respectable company would try to avoid. :rolleyes:

halhiker
Jan 7, 2008, 09:25 AM

I don't know about that but she does have nice makeup.

Queso
Jan 7, 2008, 09:27 AM
More experience in her pinkie fingernail than probably all of MacRumor's forum posters combined... including the misogynists.
And what an attractively manicured pinkie fingernail it is. I'm sure as long as she has her husband's dinner on the table when he gets home from his REAL job, he doesn't mind what his bird gets up to. :rolleyes:

Some here obviously have big issues with the idea that a lot of the time the best man for the job is a woman. Maybe once they get out of short trousers they'll realise how ridiculous that world view is.

jsw
Jan 7, 2008, 09:29 AM
I was worried that, when a woman was added to the board, we'd be all professional and focus just on her actual credentials.

I'm glad to see we're treating her just like the men (who can forget the Al Gore swimsuit pic posts and the discussion of Schmidt's excellent ass?) and discussing her like anyone, especially a woman, should be discussed.

However, I'll admit to thinking her smile looks awkward. But I think that of most CEO types.

And I still say Schmidt has the better ass.

Small White Car
Jan 7, 2008, 09:36 AM
Some here obviously have big issues with the idea that a lot of the time the best man for the job is a woman.

WHO is it that has a problem? I just went back and re-read all the comments and found none that hold this view. Any other insults about us that you want to make up?

There are comments wondering if someone from Avon might make the computers pink and fuzzy and stuff like that. But those comments are all related to her job and not her gender. There are also "she's hot or not" comments, but those say nothing about her being unsuitable for the job. I found nothing to support your comment.

Queso
Jan 7, 2008, 09:48 AM
WHO is it that has a problem? I just went back and re-read all the comments and found none that hold this view. Any other insults about us that you want to make up?

There are comments wondering if someone from Avon might make the computers pink and fuzzy and stuff like that. But those comments are all related to her job and not her gender. There are also "she's hot or not" comments, but those say nothing about her being unsuitable for the job. I found nothing to support your comment.
Read jsw's post above. I think you'll find that sums it up perfectly.

Small White Car
Jan 7, 2008, 09:52 AM
Read jsw's post above. I think you'll find that sums it up perfectly.

You mean the one where he sarcasticly criticizes all the "is she hot or not" posts and implies that they're in poor taste?

How is that bad?

Queso
Jan 7, 2008, 09:56 AM
You mean the one where he sarcasticly criticizes all the "is she hot or not" posts and implies that they're in poor taste?

How is that bad?
His point appears to me to be that if she were not a woman those type of posts would not be occurring in the first place. The implication from the posters is that Andrea Jung's capability for the job does not matter as much as how attractive she may or may not be. And that, whether you agree or not, is sexist as far as I'm concerned.

superleccy
Jan 7, 2008, 09:59 AM
Avon lady... whatever.

Now Avon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerr_Avon) from Blake's 7 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake's_7), that'd be cool! :cool:

SL

Small White Car
Jan 7, 2008, 09:59 AM
The implication from the posters is that Andrea Jung's capability for the job does not matter as much as how attractive she may or may not be.

I read it as the exact opposite. Even after seeing your reading of it, I still agree with my original assesment.

Oh well, only jsw can answer now.

asrmatt
Jan 7, 2008, 10:02 AM

Bravo!
I completely agree. I really couldn't understand what all the fuss is about :confused:

Azurael
Jan 7, 2008, 10:19 AM
I'm trying hard here to see the relationship between cosmetics and technology that makes her oh-so-qualified to be an Apple director...

...But failing miserably.

gifford
Jan 7, 2008, 10:23 AM
Right, cause having a former vice president of the united states and emmy/oscar/nobel winning activist on the board is something that any respectable company would try to avoid. :rolleyes:

IMO the guy is a bit of a idiot. An also-ran, who embarrassingly exaggerates, who has found his rightful place in the environmental world (a world not famous for its grip on reality either).

toleash
Jan 7, 2008, 10:26 AM
Since Ms Jung's strength is marketing, and Avon is famous for selling door-to -door, it makes since that what Apple is planning to do.

Ding, dong...Apple calling.

NAG
Jan 7, 2008, 10:26 AM
I'm trying hard here to see the relationship between cosmetics and technology that makes her oh-so-qualified to be an Apple director...

If you want to succeed I suggest reading all the posts before this. There are a few that point out the plusses (hint: ignore the posts dealing with how attractive she may or may not be as well as the posts retelling the hello kitty laptop joke for the millionth time. ;) )

TechHistorian
Jan 7, 2008, 10:30 AM

She's the CEO of a major corporation that manufactures and sells items directly to consumers -- a corporation that relies heavily on its own retail operation to sell its products, no less.

Sounds like the very same thing Apple does.

She's not going to design the computers or engineer them. that's not what board members do.

gifford
Jan 7, 2008, 10:30 AM
Lets not lose our sense of humor in a bid to be Politically Correct eh

If you want to succeed I suggest reading all the posts before this. There are a few that point out the plusses (hint: ignore the posts dealing with how attractive she may or may not be as well as the posts retelling the hello kitty laptop joke for the millionth time. ;) )

hey i have only posted that hello kitty laptop on here ONCE before!!!

On a serious note, the fact that she can speak Mandarin can only be a supersized bonus.

mflender
Jan 7, 2008, 10:32 AM
I can see the Macworld Stevenote now. Awesome products announced..... One more thing... Q Lazzarus's Goodbye Horses starts playing over the speakers. Steve pulls out Avon lipstick and starts doing his Buffalo Bill/Jay from Clerks 2 dance. Holds up new ultraportable Macbook Pro. "Would you buy me? I'd buy me... NOW."

twoodcc
Jan 7, 2008, 10:37 AM
well, i guess this could be good.

NAG
Jan 7, 2008, 10:39 AM

Not all jokes are created equal. Also, there is no reason why there can't be some discussion in this thread as well as jokes.

Merkuryy
Jan 7, 2008, 10:44 AM
Yeah, at least we've got someone speaking Mandarin at AAPL, I will not get bored when I join Apple in the future. Nahh:rolleyes:

gifford
Jan 7, 2008, 10:49 AM
I also think that women often make superior negotiators. (or am I not aloud to generalize any more?)

emw
Jan 7, 2008, 10:52 AM
Looks to be an interesting addition with quite a bit of experience that should help Apple in both the short term and long term.

As for the comments on pink laptops, etc., perhaps I'm the one who's being sexist, but I find it hard to take any of that so seriously. If someone brought up solar-powered Macs when Al Gore was announced, would there be the outrage? I don't think so. Even though it's still ridiculing someone.

We need to stop being so overly sensitive to non-issues.

sportsnut
Jan 7, 2008, 11:01 AM

No Worries

The sense of humor in quite a few posts reeks of sexism so far, by 3:00pmEST I would not be shocked if many of the posts reeked of racism.

Looks like IMO this will be a great day to hide behind humor for whatever reason:mad:

gifford
Jan 7, 2008, 11:12 AM
Looks to be an interesting addition with quite a bit of experience that should help Apple in both the short term and long term.

As for the comments on pink laptops, etc., perhaps I'm the one who's being sexist, but I find it hard to take any of that so seriously. If someone brought up solar-powered Macs when Al Gore was announced, would there be the outrage? I don't think so. Even though it's still ridiculing someone.

We need to stop being so overly sensitive to non-issues.

Agreed, oversensitivity can often create problems where previously there was no problem IMO.
Otherwise, where the hell do you draw the line? it just gets stupid. We are all different, we all have our strengths and weaknesses, my weakness maybe is that I find politically incorrect jokes funny, I'm sorry, but shouldn't it ALSO be politically incorrect to mock me as I am obviously suffering from a mental condition :)

Peace
Jan 7, 2008, 11:17 AM
Oh no! Now we're going to have Pink iPods and iMacs! :D

Sure helps to have her on the board of GE. It might help Apple's fight with NBC.

gifford
Jan 7, 2008, 11:19 AM
No Worries

The sense of humor in quite a few posts reeks of sexism so far, by 3:00pmEST I would not be shocked if many of the posts reeked of racism.

Looks like IMO this will be a great day to hide behind humor for whatever reason:mad:

What? people like you really make no sense to me. Where the hell do you see racism? The term 'racist' gets banded about far to frivolously IMO.
To accuse people on here of racism (who I'm fairly certain are not racists!) is a FAR worse crime than a bit of juvenile harmless banter.

CRAZYBUBBA
Jan 7, 2008, 11:21 AM
I also think that women often make superior negotiators. (or am I not aloud to generalize any more?)

Your wife agrees.

gifford
Jan 7, 2008, 11:34 AM
Your wife agrees.

Most definitely! She has a much calmer and tactful (and often more rewarding) approach to confrontation than me.
But she also loves pink, and if she had her way, and she was director of apple, we REALLY would have hello kitty portables :)
And I make jokes about her pink fetish, and she makes jokes about me being a nerd, and we get on like a house on fire. Neither of us takes the jibes of the other with any seriousness. Nor do we think twice about offending each other by some inadvertent gender generalization , as we both know that genders CAN but NOT ALWAYS be generalized, and that no harm is meant.

Darkroom
Jan 7, 2008, 11:37 AM
there's a Toiletry Association?

emw
Jan 7, 2008, 11:43 AM
there's a Toiletry Association?

toiletries |ˈtoilitrēz|
plural noun
articles used in washing and taking care of one's body, such as soap, shampoo, and toothpaste.

There are associations for any number of things that may appear to be odd to those not working in the specific industry.

EagerDragon
Jan 7, 2008, 12:29 PM
Do we get 25% off the Avon line?

ntrigue
Jan 7, 2008, 12:33 PM
Many are overstating a single board members influence on design. They have Al 'green is great' Gore on board and that didn't influence the danger of batteries, the iPhone, or LCD screens to the environment. I look at the board and think it could run a small country based on accomplishments.

elgruga
Jan 7, 2008, 01:00 PM
Board members really dont do much.
I dont understand this appointment, but I dont like it.

Its unfortunate if this woman brings the Avon attitude to Apple - sell, sell, sell.

But why not get someone from the tech world? Apple and cheap perfume are a long way apart.

I dont see the GE connection at all - unless we are heading for the 'One World Company' scenario?
Please dont let Jobs turn into Gates.

Sometimes I wonder where the hell Apple are heading.

HEY! Apple! Sort out the iPhone mess, unlock it, open it up - you'll sell more.

Maybe Steve is boinking her.....

MadDog31
Jan 7, 2008, 01:01 PM

Uhhh...I'll pass, thanks.

elgruga
Jan 7, 2008, 01:06 PM
I look at the board and think it could run a small country based on accomplishments.

Strange how people think that business experience is somehow related to 'running a country'.
These people are only interested in cash.

Your Mom would be a far better choice to run a country, but generally that isnt understood.
Pity.

Eduardo1971
Jan 7, 2008, 01:27 PM

Funny; that's the first thing I did (goggled images of her)-she has kinda "man-ly" features for me.:o

guru_ck
Jan 7, 2008, 01:34 PM
She is sister to my uncle Mark who previously ran IGN (http://ign.com) and is now CEO of Vudu (http://vudu.com). Very successful family.

Queso
Jan 7, 2008, 02:02 PM
She is sister to my uncle Mark who previously ran IGN (http://ign.com) and is now CEO of Vudu (http://vudu.com). Very successful family.
Does this mean you can get us all cheap iPhones? :D

MaaseyRacer
Jan 7, 2008, 02:54 PM
If Bill Campbell is on the board, please explain to me why Quickbooks, and Quicken are such piles of crap on the mac.

Sesshi
Jan 7, 2008, 03:48 PM

Practically the entire company these days is based on image over substance and you don't get it :confused:

As a brand maker, she's a most valuable addition.

sebastianlewis
Jan 7, 2008, 03:50 PM
Many are overstating a single board members influence on design. They have Al 'green is great' Gore on board and that didn't influence the danger of batteries, the iPhone, or LCD screens to the environment. I look at the board and think it could run a small country based on accomplishments.

Well Al tried it once, except it wasn't a small country but he lost. :-( Steve could probably run the entire damn world (and easily micromanage it).

Sebastian

mcarnes
Jan 7, 2008, 04:02 PM
Steve could probably run the entire damn world (and easily micromanage it).

Boom! Iraq. Boom! Korea. All what the heck, let's Boom the Canadians just for the fun of it.

bluedevil14
Jan 7, 2008, 04:36 PM
It seems like Apple is adding a lot of people to their board nowadays.

G4DP
Jan 7, 2008, 04:43 PM
I thought it was a bloke in drag.

gwangung
Jan 7, 2008, 04:53 PM

Its unfortunate if this woman brings the Avon attitude to Apple - sell, sell, sell.

But why not get someone from the tech world? Apple and cheap perfume are a long way apart.

I dont see the GE connection at all - unless we are heading for the 'One World Company' scenario?

Sometimes I wonder where the hell Apple are heading.

HEY! Apple! Sort out the iPhone mess, unlock it, open it up - you'll sell more.

Methinks you (like oh so many people posting) are much stronger on the tech side than for the business side....:rolleyes:

joeshell383
Jan 7, 2008, 05:16 PM

GE doesn't own UMG.

GimmeSlack12
Jan 7, 2008, 05:18 PM
Smokin hot? that's a pretty bold statement! I'd go more with somewhat attractive at best, but to each his, or perhaps her, own.

Bold statement indeed. I'd give her a 5.

shadowfax
Jan 7, 2008, 05:21 PM
Methinks you (like oh so many people posting) are much stronger on the tech side than for the business side....:rolleyes:

Methinks he's just a rude something or other. I wasn't offended by any of the generally light-hearted humor in this thread, but that post has to take the cake as one of the more ridiculous and rather mean-spirited posts I have seen in awhile.

biturbomunkie
Jan 7, 2008, 05:37 PM

perhaps you ought to understand it before criticizing it?

ummm... what has apple been doing?

class :rolleyes:

TMay
Jan 7, 2008, 09:39 PM
IMO the guy is a bit of a idiot. An also-ran, who embarrassingly exaggerates, who has found his rightful place in the environmental world (a world not famous for its grip on reality either).

Being English, you might want to bone up on climate science. Couple of items I pulled up on the internet.

You know, from the folks in "a world not famous for a grip on reality".

We like to call them scientists on our side of the pond.

http://www.whoi.edu/page.do?pid=12455&tid=282&cid=9986

http://environment.newscientist.com/channel/earth/dn11462

Bosunsfate
Jan 7, 2008, 10:05 PM

Who has the bad grip on reality? I think you might be looking for a job in California for a long time.:rolleyes:

gwangung
Jan 7, 2008, 11:16 PM
Methinks he's just a rude something or other. I wasn't offended by any of the generally light-hearted humor in this thread, but that post has to take the cake as one of the more ridiculous and rather mean-spirited posts I have seen in awhile.

Well, generally, I think people really are slighting her. Even the less successful CEOs of Fortune 500 companies tend to have a sharper grasp of marketing and sales than the typical man on the street. Andrea Jung....is successful. All the talk about pink Macbooks and whatnot tends to gloss over the factor that the woman's a shark among sharks.

(And having connections is important in the business world. Having a director who's director for other top companies is a definite plus for Apple).

nostaws
Jan 8, 2008, 02:06 AM
I have really enjoyed reading the posts in this thread tonight.

As for me I don't know what more she is going to bring to the table. I already invite all my friends to my house to see what I can do with my macs and ilife programs. And I make sure to hand them catalogs of all apple products. Then I phone them up and ask them if they want to order a copy of leopard from me because I am going to turn my bulk order in to apple. ;)

Seriously though, she seems pretty qualified, and if nothing else but her connections get NBC's The Office back on iTunes it will have been a good move.

Maybe she and Steve can end the writer's strike. :rolleyes:

wjanoch
Jan 8, 2008, 04:51 AM
Maybe she and Steve can end the writer's strike. :rolleyes:

What writer's strike? I've seen lots of writers staying busy, like gifford:
-I also think that women often make superior negotiators. (or am I not aloud to generalize any more?)-

Generalize to your heart's content. I will too: Women who are superior negotiators are superior negotiators, and women who aren't... arn't (does that qualify as generalizing?).

As far as racist goes, it's my opinion that if you say chinese meaning the chinese bloodline, then maybe, but if you mean someone from china, well, then you're probably closer to a patriot :-P (just don't forget our fellow citizens who are of the chinese bloodline).

And besides, I don't like anything chinese... except my wife... and a lot of the things she likes, and the afore mentioned fellow citizens :-D (oh, and chop sticks).

Hide behind humor? For those of us who are good at humor, that comment is like accusing a suicide bomber of hiding behind his bomb... think on that a while and get back to me.

Sexism? Clearly she's one sex, and many of us are the other. Sorry, but I'll never be equal to any woman nor vise versa. I'm told that I'm really good at math, so here goes: Man equals Woman is false (provable on many levels). And the differences are there for a reason. It takes all kinds to make this world work the way it was designed to work, so embrace the differences and make the most of them. Anything less is going to be.. well, less.

Man in drag? Uh... where do you hang out? Never mind, I don't want to know, really. I'm from Montana, and when we say drag, we mean with a tractor. Sounds like you could use more tractors so them guys could drag properly. You know, to peal off that soft outer shell and make real men of them, for the good of the ladies, then ladies like Mrs Jung wouldn't be mistaken for a soft guy due to no fault of their own. She's done well with what she's got. Better than what you can see is what you can't... I mean her skills... uh talents... well, if you're mind is clean, then you know exactly what I mean, and if not, then you probably never will. I've worked in Hollywood long enough to know where some of your minds will go.

Here's some more math. Boinking equals weak on business is false. Boinking equals stronger on tech... also false. The guy who suggests two extremely successful people are bonking simply because they're at the same company... well, that suggests a depraved mind, and probably hinders any strengths he may actually have.

Mr boink, take pleasure in the bride of your youth, and stop day dreaming about the brides that will never be yours. If you were man enough to be their husbands you wouldn't be known as Mr Boink.

Sense of humor? This guy's got one: You know, from the folks in "a world not famous for a grip on reality". We like to call them scientists on our side of the pond.

Science is where people who realize they don't have a grip try to get a grip. But to be fair, some of them have far less a grip than others, you know, like those who study environmental sciense, and if you don't believe me, just ask the other guy who said so.

And speaking of science. I'd like to make some suggestions for the :apple: Apple with the Soft White over her head. How about iPhone get's a thermally powered generator, a washer dryer, and a couple jet engines so it'll be the device of every geek's dreams (except Mr Boink). Ok, I realize having one board member in common doesn't immediately mean the two companies will merge, but I really do like the idea of GE jet engines on my iPhone.. and maybe a way to stand on it to ride like a hover board.

Wm

P. S. My wife may be chinese, but she was made in Singapore; born and raised, primary language is English... or rather, Singlish, but it's not as melodious as it sounds, it's more like a chinese slant on british, very colourful, though sometimes melodious.

The "Mr. Boink" comments are left hanging on purpose to inspire deep thought.

For those of you who's posts I didn't address, I apologias, but there's apparently a writer's strike on, so I had to make some cuts to keep it short.

Choppaface
Jan 8, 2008, 09:14 PM
also a chair of GE.. who owns NBC, correct?.... is Jobs also trying to tap into possible NBC connections?

micharadi
Jan 12, 2008, 08:03 AM

But is this Apples future..

http://privateevent.co.uk/underground/img/gallery/19_1197602874.jpg

It's quite sexy, I must admit :D

MikeTheC
Jan 12, 2008, 09:38 PM
Personally, the fact that she's female would never even have shown up on my radar, except for the cracks about it made here. Not that I'm complaining, mind, and some of them really made me laugh. So thanks, folks, it's nice to know I can continue to count on MacRumors.com to make me laugh out loud.

While it's nice Ms. Jung speaks Mandarin, this really only means something if she's actually FROM (i.e. born and raised) in China. Otherwise, she'd be just as American (or, more to the point, non-Chinese in culture) as the rest of us, or the rest of Apple's board.

The fact that she holds a senior position at GE (the owner of NBC as mentioned earlier) is almost certainly an angle that Steve Jobs considered. At some point. Somewhere along the line. The question is simply a matter of whether he plans on taking advantage of that or not.

Personally, though, I think Apple is merely a stepping stone for Ms. Jung as far as her career goes, and any sensible person on the board or off of it (such as us folks) should already understand that point.

Before we start touting her praises or stoning her to death with pink fuzz-covered iPhones, let's see what the woman does (or doesn't do) first. Fair enough?

chris200x9
Jan 12, 2008, 10:27 PM
Boom! .......let's Boom the Canadians just for the fun of it.

Tht's not a half bad idea :D