PDA

View Full Version : New iPod TV Ads

MacRumors
Oct 8, 2003, 06:58 PM
Reader, tue12, notes that Apple has started running new Television ads in the style of the recent print ads (http://www.chaosmint.com/mac/ipod-ads/).

iconrad
Oct 8, 2003, 07:35 PM
It's true. If you want to believe me. I saw one of the commercials on Comedy Central today around 3:00 3:30 eastrin standerd time.

It wasn't as cool as the other apple commercials of the past few years but the idea has potential.

Freg3000
Oct 8, 2003, 07:50 PM
Comedy Central? I'm on it.

God I love the Formac Studio TV. :D

PeteyKohut
Oct 8, 2003, 08:14 PM
I was watching VH1's 25 Greatest Commercials of All Time and I saw the new iPod commercial. Also, Apple's 1984 commercial was featured in this special from what I have heard. I started watching at #15 of 25 and I didn't see it, so they must have ranked it lower than 15. Idiots!!!

dongmin
Oct 8, 2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by iconrad
It wasn't as cool as the other apple commercials of the past few years but the idea has potential.
I think it's well done for what it is. They're definitely promoting the minimalist cool. My roomate, an architect who uses a PC, thought it was a quality commercial and we started talking about the iPod. (I don't mean to apply by this anecdote that this commercial will be successful.)

rainman::|:|
Oct 8, 2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by PeteyKohut
I was watching VH1's 25 Greatest Commercials of All Time and I saw the new iPod commercial. Also, Apple's 1984 commercial was featured in this special from what I have heard. I started watching at #15 of 25 and I didn't see it, so they must have ranked it lower than 15. Idiots!!!

VH1 put a commercial that's been out for one day into a short list of the all-time best ads?

or do you mean you saw the commercial during a break in the show?

i agree that 1984 should have been higher, it did start the superbowl ad competition that we all know and love...

edit: by cosmic coincidence i just saw it... very very good, clearly targeting a specific group of people that has high potential for sales but low current penetration. first time they've advertised a product correctly in several years...

pnw

Mosco
Oct 8, 2003, 09:01 PM
I also saw the news tv ads. Dancing to the color background to the song Hey mama by the black eyed peas i think. Not 100% sure, i can't remember now.

Mudbug
Oct 8, 2003, 09:10 PM
Saw one during "The West Wing" tonight - I'd give it mixed reviews (although I like the campaign itself). The print ads show the ipod clearly, but in video, it's moving around too much for people to get a good look. And my other issue is that the color kept flipping between the print-ad hues, instead of having a commercial that was all purple/black/white, or magenta/black/white, or green/black/white.

Otherwise, slick.

wdw_
Oct 8, 2003, 09:43 PM
Here it is.

Download - 1.4MB (http://homepage.mac.com/marceline407/.Movies/ipod_ad.mov)
;)

mustang_dvs
Oct 8, 2003, 09:46 PM
10:35pm EDT commercial break during "Law & Order" -- definitely "Hey Mama" by Black Eyed Peas.

jer2665
Oct 8, 2003, 09:49 PM
i dont get what's up with companies trying to make "urban" commercials. I'm not racist at all, and dont' mean this as a racist comment, but look at cokes adds (camron and maya) and the new mcdonalds adds, and now this one. i just dont quite get why that's the big market to push it to now adays. again, dont flame me or get pissed saying stuff about me, think about the commercials and you'll understand what i mean.

edited: added "urban" to make me sound like less of a racist moron :p

danielgrenell
Oct 8, 2003, 09:53 PM
i just saw the ad on law and order. it looks just like the print ad, but the people are dancing to a song (i don't recognize the song)

Freg3000
Oct 8, 2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by mustang_dvs
10:35pm EDT commercial break during "Law & Order" -- definitely "Hey Mama" by Black Eyed Peas.

Word to the wise: Get that off your iDisk. I speak from experience. ;)

I dunno if Arn is willing to take it, but just get it off soon, before Apple comes knocking.

P.S. Good job capturing it. :D

Flowbee
Oct 8, 2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by jer2665
i dont get what's up with companies trying to make "black" commercials, for lack of a better term. I'm not racist at all, and dont' mean this as a racist comment, but look at cokes adds (camron and maya) and the new mcdonalds adds, and now this one. i just dont quite get why that's the big market to push it to now adays. again, dont flame me or get pissed saying stuff about me, think about the commercials and you'll understand what i mean.

Hip-hop and 'black' culture are popular with young people of all ethnic backgrounds. Besides, aren't there enough "white" comercials on tv anyway?

PS - I really like the new ad. Very attention-getting yet no 'hard sell.' Very Apple. :)

Vector
Oct 8, 2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
VH1 put a commercial that's been out for one day into a short list of the all-time best ads?

or do you mean you saw the commercial during a break in the show?

i agree that 1984 should have been higher, it did start the superbowl ad competition that we all know and love...

pnw

It was named the best commercial of all time in some ranking by madison ave.

nagromme
Oct 8, 2003, 10:24 PM
Saw it during Angel.

Pretty slick brand-awareness ads. The color is more striking than Apple White. I wouldn't use something so simple to advertise computers, but for iPods I think they'll work well.

i_am_a_cow
Oct 8, 2003, 10:25 PM
i dont get what's up with companies trying to make "black" commercials, for lack of a better term. I'm not racist at all, and dont' mean this as a racist comment, but look at cokes adds (camron and maya) and the new mcdonalds adds, and now this one. i just dont quite get why that's the big market to push it to now adays. again, dont flame me or get pissed saying stuff about me, think about the commercials and you'll understand what i mean.

OK. I can tell that you live in the suburbs/small pop./country. May I ask you what type of music they play at your schools dances (if you're in highschool). This is very much a stereotype. Where have you been? Race isn't an issue of music anymore. I don't see how that commercial is aimed towards black people at all. In cities, it really doesn't matter any more what color you are. You can listen to any type of music. And how do you know that those people are all black? They are silhouetted.

Those "black" commercials you speak of appeal to white city people and black city people. Honestly, why do you call these commercials with urban culture in them "black" commercials?

Sorry don't mean to sound angry, I just feel that you are very uninformed. :rolleyes:

stoid
Oct 8, 2003, 10:26 PM
The ad is SO APPLE. It's simple and obvious. A beginner can understand and use it. I love it, and am becoming more fired up about Apple's future. They are a cool company, and that scares the geek wintel world. They know that if Apple takes over (not going to happen soon) that the IT industry will have to be cut in half, and it's all about job security. Which comps should we buy?? Windows!!! We can keep our IT job then!!!

edit: could this possibly be another sign of Apple gearing up for an imminent Dark iTMS release (iTMS for Windows)?

QCassidy352
Oct 8, 2003, 10:50 PM
I'm not a big fan of those ads when seen as still images, but that commercial is really really cool. I think it grabs people and shows the product in just the right balance. Well done.

tRr
Oct 8, 2003, 11:13 PM
Whoops, never knew it was already posted :eek:

I really like it though, very stylish, I've showed it to most of my friends (around 18 years old) and its getting thumbs up!

alia
Oct 8, 2003, 11:13 PM
I saw it during Angel as well, on the WB. I wasn't a big fan of the add style in the Macworld, or on their site, but it looked much better in motion, I think. Definitely slick and attention-getting!

:)

Alia

LoopHoles
Oct 8, 2003, 11:21 PM
http://apple.com/ipod/ads/

sXe
Oct 8, 2003, 11:26 PM
it could be better. i think they could've worked a bit more on some of the sihoulettes...like when they show he guy's shoes, they gleam in the light, i would think that it would look better in plain black...but then it might look cartoony...oh well, it looks good. that's all that matters to me.

jer2665
Oct 8, 2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by i_am_a_cow
OK. I can tell that you live in the suburbs/small pop./country. May I ask you what type of music they play at your schools dances (if you're in highschool). This is very much a stereotype. Where have you been? Race isn't an issue of music anymore. I don't see how that commercial is aimed towards black people at all. In cities, it really doesn't matter any more what color you are. You can listen to any type of music. And how do you know that those people are all black? They are silhouetted.

Those "black" commercials you speak of appeal to white city people and black city people. Honestly, why do you call these commercials with urban culture in them "black" commercials?

Sorry don't mean to sound angry, I just feel that you are very uninformed. :rolleyes:

hah, there ya go. urban, that was the word i couldn't think of when i wrote that. I didn't mean to sound like some unintellegent racist. but anyway, first off, i didn't say it was aimed at black people, yes..it is a stereotype, but i don't see a ton of black people at my hard rock concerts, or country bars. Hip hop started off big in black culture right? and the dancing and stuff to it. I never said it was aimed at any one ethnicity. But I am saying how there is a big surge in "urban ads" as far as dancing to hip hop, hip hop music, rapping, all that stuff.

TheFish
Oct 8, 2003, 11:56 PM

yeah i know what you mean, i guess because all the kids like thier raps.

Im not really a fan of rap but i have to admit, it is pretty catchy

Doctor Q
Oct 8, 2003, 11:56 PM
Great ad. Only 11 letters of text, but the message comes through loud and clear.

Gus
Oct 8, 2003, 11:57 PM
I'm sorry, but I guess I'm in the minority here. All I can say is Blech. A bunch of people gyrating around is a good ad? I guess I must be getting old.

Regards,
Gus

reyesmac
Oct 8, 2003, 11:59 PM
i dont get what's up with companies trying to make "black" commercials, for lack of a better term.

I don't think they did this on purpose. I think there will be other commercials with different people dancing. Its just for the music that they used, they couldn't find any non ethnic people that could dance that good. I mean, have you seen the buymusic.com ads? :D :D :D

jer2665
Oct 9, 2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by reyesmac
I don't think they did this on purpose. I think there will be other commercials with different people dancing. Its just for the music that they used, they couldn't find any non ethnic people that could dance that good. I mean, have you seen the buymusic.com ads? :D :D :D

ya know, that could make this ad campaign even better. here's the rap one. then have the metal/hard rock one people moshing and head banging. then the country one with people line dancing, then the techno with people dropping e and twirling around stupid glowsticks :D

but the different genres in this same style would be cool, imo.

baby duck monge
Oct 9, 2003, 12:01 AM
that and the black eyed peas (band) are pretty hot right now. actually playing a concert here on saturday...

scem0
Oct 9, 2003, 12:04 AM
I like them.

They are exciting and colorful.

But nothing exceptional.

Still good though :).

scem0

coolsoldier
Oct 9, 2003, 12:08 AM
I like it -- although it's kinda out of character for an apple ad. Oh well.

As for the comment about "black" music, I have two points:

a) It's more like "urban" than "black". Here in Albuquerque, we have a 2% black population, and that kind of music is still all over the inner city. The audience has nothing to do with race (although you can't argue that the artists are racially balanced ;) )

b) Advertisers are generally still using that music to market to suburban audiences. The suburbs/outskirts of cities have more big spenders. The thing is that for some reason urban styles have a "coolness" factor to them that (according to advertising industry surveys) appeals to suburban audiences as well as urban audiences. I don't expect to see iPods in the inner city any time soon :) .

Doctor Q
Oct 9, 2003, 12:13 AM
Maybe they'll run a second version with Steve Martin doin' the moves (http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0305669/C22-20.jpg).

MhzDoesMatter
Oct 9, 2003, 12:18 AM
The same consumers that subscribe to the "urban"music genre are also the major purchasers of designer brand goods simply for the sake of status and exclusivity. Since both are associated with Apple, why wouldn't one of their ads target that audience?

-Hertz

moby1
Oct 9, 2003, 12:23 AM
MUCH better than the previous ads. :)

ennerseed
Oct 9, 2003, 12:25 AM
I just saw the new ad on Comedy Central! ..... UH UH UH DAM! APPLE! Thats what I am talking about. Sock it to em....... ........nice.

This has to be one of the best commercials Apple has done to get to a younger hipper group. And although the iPod fits VERY well..
It IS about time to get this kind of advertising out for Mac OS X!

Cheers!

Flowbee
Oct 9, 2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by MhzDoesMatter
The same consumers that subscribe to the "urban"music genre are also the major purchasers of designer brand goods simply for the sake of status and exclusivity. -Hertz

Oh really? And people who listen to other kinds of music don't buy into all of the 'designer brand goods' hype? :rolleyes:

Apple is simply trying to appeal to a younger demographic with this ad.

coolbreeze
Oct 9, 2003, 12:47 AM
This is one hell of an ad. Apple has it's marketing on track for this iPod campaign. It nails the hip youth Apple is having such great success with presently. The song, dancing, and of course colors all contribute to a very effective commercial.

Of course I am not in marketing, so you are welcome to destroy my arguement. I guess I'm young, I listen to rap music, and like the commercial. I also happen to be in the market for an iPod.

BTW, I want to meet the girl with the green background (yes, simply based on her silloutte). Her moves are hot! (especially in the last green background frame...those hips!!):cool:

arn
Oct 9, 2003, 12:51 AM
I think it's a great ad.

Apple's riding it's "cool" image... which is a good thing.

Now, this might date and also show much of a geek I am... but i'm reminded of "State of the Art" by SpaceBalls. An Amiga demo.

Anyone? anyone...?

arn

Dippo
Oct 9, 2003, 12:53 AM
i dont get what's up with companies trying to make "urban" commercials.

I think the popularity of urban music has been exploding lately. All types of young people listen to urban music, there are nice beats and unique phrases that produce addictive listening.

Of course a lot (not all) of the lyrics and messages behind the music are very disturbing, but if I guess if you want to rot your brain, that's your problem. (My $0.02)

Of course, I liked the ad, very apple in my opinion.

spice weasel
Oct 9, 2003, 01:00 AM
But I am saying how there is a big surge in "urban ads" as far as dancing to hip hop, hip hop music, rapping, all that stuff.

Maybe by "urban" you really mean "urbane?" Truth is, there is not much of the cutting-edge coming from middle America. Suburban culture is, practically by definition, bland, if it is existent as a discernable entity at all. Urban culture, which has unfortunately become a rather racist euphemism for "black," is more vital and vibrant because it often stems from mixing and co-mingling of cultures, races and ethnicities, tastes, modes of expression, etc. Face it, strip malls and picket fences are not cool. A soccer mom holding an iPod won't work in a commercial, no matter how much she says she loves her new Apple product.

White suburban teenagers like rap today for the same reason that teenagers in the 50s liked rock n' roll -- because it was rebellious. Both rap and rock n' roll started as black musical expressions, gaining popularity among whites because they speak/spoke to some of the alienation and tensions even white Americans feel/felt in society. As a minority culture, Black culture is by definition counter-culture, and teenagers like to rebel. Whites often co-opt those cultural expressions to capitalize on that sentiment. Just look at the popularity of Elvis and Eminem among white teenagers.

This is getting off topic, though. I like the new iPod ad, and didn't once think to myself that it was an "urban" add (read: "black"). It's hip, trendy, and urbane.

RStone
Oct 9, 2003, 01:08 AM
As much as I love the ad, I have to say it is extremely vague and confusing for someone who has no idea what an iPod is.

I don't understand why they couldn't have slipped in the word "Apple" at the end with the logo, or maybe the web site address.

I personally love it, but I don't think they made it clear enough to people what they're trying to sell. People dancing around with some white thing connected to their ears, followed by the word iPod, Mac and PC, then a half-eaten apple...as much as it makes sense to us, the newbie tech users that Apple is trying to lure in will be left clueless.

Doctor Q
Oct 9, 2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by arn
i'm reminded of "State of the Art" by SpaceBalls. An Amiga demo.It had James Bond silhouettes, right?

I've always liked those James Bond openings, although waiting for the character named "Q" to appear is still the best part of a Bond movie.

mikedman
Oct 9, 2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Flowbee
Oh really? And people who listen to other kinds of music don't buy into all of the 'designer brand goods' hype? :rolleyes:

Apple is simply trying to appeal to a younger demographic with this ad.

Yes but if you have to target a particular youth segment the hip-hop crowd is the one to go for.

Hip Hop and expensive material things go hand in hand.... consider Bentley, Rolex, Phat Pharm, FUBU, Crystal... all high end brands that have had their moments in the spotlight thanks to association with hip-hop artists or culture.

Now consider other music "cultures"... I can't imagine Apple trying to appeal to a bunch of counter culture punks via a mainstream add campaign. The folks who will respond to a flashy add campaign are the same folks who are devoted to MTV... and lets face it MTV has been all about the hip-hop for a while now.

That being said, love the new adds. Don't underestimate the target audience... they will know its an iPod even if it is blurry. Apple has given out enough free ones at Awards Shows and Hollywood events that most kids have seen their favorite star with one at one time or another.

Doctor Q
Oct 9, 2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by RStone
I don't understand why they couldn't have slipped in the word "Apple" at the end with the logo, or maybe the web site address.Many companies use a two-part ad campaign. They show something intriguing, without identifying much about the product, and play the ad everywhere in a blitz to get interest up. Then they add details in a second round of ads.

But Apple isn't hiding who they are, so it's not as mysterious as some first-round ad campaigns have been. I guess that's not the strategy this time.

naz
Oct 9, 2003, 01:34 AM
after seeing an iPod in 3 major Rap videos on MTV MTV2 BET

This ad is hot!

This should keep up with the Applewannabee companies and all the iPod ripoffs

reedm007
Oct 9, 2003, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by RStone
As much as I love the ad, I have to say it is extremely vague and confusing for someone who has no idea what an iPod is.

I don't understand why they couldn't have slipped in the word "Apple" at the end with the logo, or maybe the web site address.

I personally love it, but I don't think they made it clear enough to people what they're trying to sell. People dancing around with some white thing connected to their ears, followed by the word iPod, Mac and PC, then a half-eaten apple...as much as it makes sense to us, the newbie tech users that Apple is trying to lure in will be left clueless.

Remember, the Apple logo is one of the top 10 most recognized brands in the world. At many malls where there are Apple Stores, Apple simply has the Apple logo on the mall store directory instead of the name "Apple". They're trying to establish a strong brand image like Nike has, and I think this ad is a decent step forward.

In fact, I have to say this is one of the VERY first ads I've seen Apple produce that really might resonate among high shcool/college/mid-twenties aged people. That is so great. Apple makes stuff that should appeal to those age groups enormously, but their 60s music and flowery computers really have turned a lot of that crowd off -- dismissing Apple as old person cool, not young person cool. Now with the sleek new powerbooks, G5, and, of course, the iPod, that's all good. And this ad really hits home finally.

I hope we can expect to see more youth marketing from Apple. They really have the potential to establish themselves as the ultimate in "cool" for music and technology.

cgmpowers
Oct 9, 2003, 01:42 AM
Hey I'm just glad Apple has an iPod commercial that contains songs actually available in the iTunes store...

I can't tell you how irritating it was to scour the iTunes Music Store looking for the song used in the VW Beetle/iPod commercial and it not be there...

Christopher

p.s. Heh....I do like the new commercial!

Poobar Jones
Oct 9, 2003, 01:49 AM
That add kicks! Simple and gets the message across. The most important thing is the 'Mac and PC' bit. I have had two friends that almost didn't buy iPods because they thought they "weren't compatible"...

Great Ad - A+

nacl99
Oct 9, 2003, 01:51 AM
i dont get what's up with companies trying to make "urban" commercials. I'm not racist at all, and dont' mean this as a racist comment, but look at cokes adds (camron and maya) and the new mcdonalds adds, and now this one. i just dont quite get why that's the big market to push it to now adays. again, dont flame me or get pissed saying stuff about me, think about the commercials and you'll understand what i mean.

I think "urban" as you put it is cool, because us white suburban people do not have much culture, I mean look at all the music out there, most comes from urban, or cultured people..

Also from a designers point of view the new ads are great, they maintain the simple is better message from apple, while employing a kind of rebirth of the product from what a snobby rich kid would own to something everyone can be a part of. Very thought out branding shift.

mike czech
Oct 9, 2003, 01:51 AM
damn... it would be nice if Apple could at least get the band's name right... it's not "Black Eye Peas" it's "Black Eyed Peas"

ouch.

m_gerbik
Oct 9, 2003, 02:22 AM
It wasn't as cool as the other apple commercials of the past few years but the idea has potential. [/B]
Seriously????? Perhaps you meant to say it was 10,000 billion times cooler?
:confused:

Stike
Oct 9, 2003, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by arn
I think it's a great ad.

Now, this might date and also show much of a geek I am... but i'm reminded of "State of the Art" by SpaceBalls. An Amiga demo.

Anyone? anyone...?

arn

I know it! I know it!
I wonder if Apples next iPod ad will be in the style of "9 Fingers" ;) :D

(Amiga Power!)

jethro421
Oct 9, 2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by coolbreeze
...BTW, I want to meet the girl with the green background (yes, simply based on her silloutte). Her moves are hot! (especially in the last green background frame...those hips!!):cool:

It's like you're inside my head. :D :D

Analog Kid
Oct 9, 2003, 02:46 AM
Sa-freakin'-weet! This is certainly an ad to catch attention even for those who mute their commercials.

High contrast, dig the colors, music feels good and highlights the iPod great.

Finally moving away from targeting the Manhattan architect in an artist loft set and are doing something that everyone can relate to.

The white iPod in the black on primary background works really well.

"Mac or PC" makes the point that I think they've failed to drive home well enough in the past.

When I first started seeing the iPod billboards, I could tell they were Apple. They just have that Apple look, even with the color background.

And I love the definition of the foreground sillouette. You can almost see each hair.

Before I watched it in motion I wouldn't have thought it could work. It's the drop shadows that make it-- give it depth.

And who made the comment about the chick on green?! Oh my! Gotta be that belt... I gotta say, I like how the accessories (belt, shoes, hip chain) aren't quite matte black.

And I dig the lip sync cut shots, too...

While the original iPod ad made it's own point, this is straight up fun without the geek chic.

dstorey
Oct 9, 2003, 04:14 AM
I really like the ad, its really hip and cool. However not likeing the music it doesn't speak to me that much. Being a rock fan, I'd loke to see a very similar ad with the likes of the strokes on there, with the dudes doing more of a rock kinda thing, whether its dancing, moshing or whatever...just please no air guitar...that is not cool ;)

I think 'urban' has been targeted because itis very popular at the moment with kids of all backgrounds, not just black people, and if you look at hip-hop and rap videos its often a lot about the bling bling $$$$ image, semi naked women, bentleys, merc's, expensive jewlery, certain brands of clothes etc. A iPod fits in very well with this expensive image, and hey if it's an expensive image, it doesn't mater if it costs a lot ;)

claytonbench
Oct 9, 2003, 04:14 AM
i think this is the worst apple ad ever!!!! what were they smoking?

.a
Oct 9, 2003, 04:19 AM
...those amiga days!

the ipod-ad reminds me even of the minimalistic style of melon design.

though the silhuette-style comes originally from andy warhole done in the sixties. getting more popular in the disco-lp-covers and comics in the seventies.
remember one album-cover from the jackson-five.

after the 3d-render-overload in the 90ies, creatives saw a new trend in "going back" to simple surfaces.

.a
(chester of brainstorm, back in the days where amiga digital magazines, like our zine-magazine, were distributed on 3.5" discs by snail-mail :)

polyesterlester
Oct 9, 2003, 04:53 AM
I think this ad will catch a lot of attention. Plenty of people will notice how much talent and hard work went into all the small details. And the second you see the lips singing along, it draws you in even closer. It's vector animation of epic proportions.

The second I saw the billboard/magazine ads, I had hoped Apple would come out with an animated commercial in the same vein. When it finally came out, I was blown away. I hadn't realized it would be this detailed and fluid. Way better than the vector ads VW aired a while back, showcasing Volkswagen's engineers and designers. As a professional graphic and video designer who works primarily in advertising, I stand in awe of this new iPod ad. Maybe I'm wrong, and most people won't notice all the work that went into it - but for the sake of all involved in this ad, I hope they do (and believe that many will).

And will it sell iPods? I think so.

Blaaze
Oct 9, 2003, 05:44 AM
yeah definitely, something like that isn't very easy to pull off. And at some points, it's not even vector art, like when it there is zoom on the shoes, you can clearly distinguish the light reflecting off of them.

But, I think this Apple ad is really cool. I'm not sure who said it, but one of the previous posters said how you really couldn't make out the iPod, and that how someone who never saw one, probably didn't know what it was.

In my opinion, I think that's the best thing about this Apple ad. Because commercials now a days, I'm saying most of them use those 30 seconds of air time to spill all the specs and facts about their product, and how wonderful it is. And it's this attempt to brainwash you. That's why marketing was and is still an important aspect of business. The more people recognize your product, they more likely will buy it regardless of smaller competitors. And the habit I get into during commercials breaks, is that I just zone out for a little bit, and when it returns back to the show, I can't remember anything I just saw.

That's where Apple's ad is completely different. It doesn't tell you anything about it. It's not going to attempt to tell you all the specs and features. It's just going to go "hey, I'm the iPod, and this is what I look like." And in light of this i-have-so-many-features-buy-me era, this is really quite refreshing. Both the visual stimulus of the colors, and the catchy up-beat audio stimulus, will definitely be attention grabbing among all the boring same old commercials. It will be ingrained into their brains and when people go into stores, and see the iPod, they will go, "Hey! I saw that on that commercial" They will be interested, and will check it out.

This ad is very well done.

iHack
Oct 9, 2003, 05:50 AM
This is one hell of an ad.
snip

BTW, I want to meet the girl with the green background (yes, simply based on her silloutte). Her moves are hot! (especially in the last green background frame...those hips!!):cool:
Ah, you mean this one?

http://www.xs4all.nl/~plurinet/Girl%20on%20green%202.jpg
http://www.xs4all.nl/~plurinet/Girl%20on%20green.jpg

Someone posted that it was not really clear that the ad was for the iPod. I think it is overwhelmingly clear these people are listening to the white thing.:confused: Check out the top picture especially...

M.

PS and edit: I thought these pics would show up in your browser, but I only see links. Pity. You'll just have to click them...

Wallace
Oct 9, 2003, 06:15 AM
Can anybody help me to find more high resolution pictures of
http://www.chaosmint.com/mac/ipod-ads/ipod_macworld.jpg
http://www.chaosmint.com/mac/ipod-ads/ipod_wired.jpg

Propably in other colors. I like to have new wallpapers! ;)

Jerry Spoon
Oct 9, 2003, 06:28 AM
"MAC or PC"

My favorite 1 1/2 seconds of the commercial.

iHack
Oct 9, 2003, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by Jerry Spoon
"MAC or PC"

My favorite 1 1/2 seconds of the commercial.

Why?? :confused:

just curious...

M.

Thresher
Oct 9, 2003, 06:57 AM
God, this commercial is HORRIBLE from a marketing perspective.

The urban music and dancing appeals to a TINY segment of the market for this device. The much larger market for it is suburban, middle class people. Maybe their kids are listening to this kind of music, but their parents (the ones buying the iPods) most assuredly are not.

I am one of those white, middle-class, suburbanites and this ad definitely turns me off.

iHack
Oct 9, 2003, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Thresher

The urban music and dancing appeals to a TINY segment of the market for this device. The much larger market for it is suburban, middle class people. Maybe their kids are listening to this kind of music, but their parents (the ones buying the iPods) most assuredly are not.

I am one of those white, middle-class, suburbanites and this ad definitely turns me off.

Hey, my parents are white, middle-class suburbanites and they think it's way cool (both the iPod and the ad, incl. music). BTW, they are in their 70's and we'll be celebrating their 49th anniversary next weekend. Even-though you wouldn't catch them actually listening to Black Eyed Peas, they do get the message.

If only they could unload the pictures of their grandchildren from their digicam onto the iPod (without a mac in between), they would get one.

M.

ennerseed
Oct 9, 2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Blaaze
yeah definitely, something like that isn't very easy to pull off.

take a green screen shot select the green fill with chosen color, take the inverse and fill with black.
nice looking, but not hard

airbag
Oct 9, 2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by ennerseed
take a green screen shot select the green fill with chosen color, take the inverse and fill with black.
nice looking, but not hard

This method wouldn't make the iPod, earbuds and cable so white, so it can't be that simple, can it?:confused:

My guess: the cables are computer-animated (or just enhanced).

Anyway, I think it's more work behind this than it seems!

Mactivist
Oct 9, 2003, 07:53 AM
I totally loved this commercial - big fan of the Black Eyed Peas, tho I've never heard this song before. Awesome aesthetic. And I love the bopping, grooving people. Decidely cooler than anything they've done in a long time.

How did I know i'd find a bunch of macheads complaining about the 'black' urbanness of the commercials. Get off it.

It's about time Apple got out of marketing to bougie suburban white folks (think of the racist wedding on a quaint little island commercial for iDVD - blech). I think they could make a mint if they can lower their prices so average humans can afford their stuff, and i think having fun, colourful, groovy ads can appeal to a huge spectrum of the population (machead hicks excluded, clearly.)

I loved it.

:P

cr2sh
Oct 9, 2003, 07:56 AM
Yesterday I was sitting at lunch, and we're watching ESPN, talking about those Cubbies, and the new iPod commercial comes on. We all sit there and watch it and when its over Ben sitting next to me says "Those iPods are cool."

That's not something he'd normally say, and to see marketing work that well... it was pretty amazing. I don't like the colors... but if it works, it works.

nyctopterus
Oct 9, 2003, 07:58 AM

Err, but they'll be buying them for their kids! They are the one making purchasing decisions (at least as far as brands are concerned). Unless...

"Daddy, I want an iPod!"

Dad buys dellPod

*Cry* "I wanted an iPod, like on the ads! I HATE YOU SO MUCH!!"

stingerman
Oct 9, 2003, 08:11 AM
Awesome Ad. Maybe this marks a change going forward. After their superbowl ad this is their next best ad. Maybe they have new Ad consultants. They nailed it.

Everywhere I look, people have the distinctive white iPod headphones on. The iPod is everyplace. I can't imagine any kid wanting anything else for the holidays.

evil
Oct 9, 2003, 08:28 AM
the visuals are pretty cool but i find that song repulsive

pkradd
Oct 9, 2003, 08:31 AM
I think the ad goes directly to the right demographics. For too long, Apple has been seen as a computer company appealing to snobs and rich people
(i.e.: the product is too expensive). Now they are aiming squarely at the young 20+ market and they will hit a home run. Look for some other versions shortly as well. Race has nothing to do with it except the "race" to sell a million more iPods. The next ad will probably have an iTunes reference since its' anticipated that iTMS for Windows is to be announced next week prior to the analyst meeting on the 15th. This ad campaign will also win many awards when that time comes.

Blaaze
Oct 9, 2003, 08:32 AM
I was taking another look after class, and I thought it was kind of cool that they used an actual iPod, because it looked like it was computer rendered or something. But there is lots of details here. If you look at the attached pic, there are no jaggies around the fingers, and it's looks like crisp vector art.

Also, if you take a look at where the earphone jack plugs in, and the cords themselves, you can see that they are not of the same whiteness as the iPod itself. And in my opinion, I think those were drawn in or probably over the real cords. They must have put little tracking things on the cords. I think in other parts of the movie, the cords look like they are jagged, and are like bent at angles instead of flowing curves.

Also like someone said before, it is green screen, because you can see the fuzziness around the silhouette.

Maybe I'm just taking this too far, or maybe I have too much time on my hands. Or both.

stingerman
Oct 9, 2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by evil
the visuals are pretty cool but i find that song repulsive

Most lyrics today are repulsive. It is a sign of the times we're living in. Apple cannot be a moral crusader, it's not their commission. Our parents, our religions, our institutions have individually and collectively failed us.

Apple provides escape from reality not a solution to it.

silvergunuk
Oct 9, 2003, 08:47 AM
I Think the advert is one of apples best so far, okay it was terrible music from some turdy american band but if its what pulls the crowd then so be it. Blending into urban culture nicely. Lets just see if the DellPod has a similar ad but the silhouettes are white

Wonder Boy
Oct 9, 2003, 08:59 AM

it didn't work, you nazi!

HAHA. relax peoples, jer and i are friends.

but seriously i have to agree, especially about the mcdonalds commercials. im as pro urban as pete korzep, but that doesnt mean i understand the new advertising trend. i guess if it works, go with it

JJTiger1
Oct 9, 2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Gus
I'm sorry, but I guess I'm in the minority here. All I can say is Blech. A bunch of people gyrating around is a good ad? I guess I must be getting old.

Regards,
Gus

The iPod is aimed at the youth market, just like the "transistor radios" back in the sixties.

The iPod is aimed at the URBAN market and Yuppies with holstered beepers and dual cellphones.

I would not be caught with an iPod...

... but I like the iPod to car radio adapter gizmo. You can't get decent radio signals in some backwoods off-road sites up in the mountains....
.... I would not have to carry a case full of 4-track tapes... hmmm.

How much is that iPod again?
=-=
JJ

DeusOmnis
Oct 9, 2003, 09:03 AM
That commertial is sweet ass

jayscheuerle
Oct 9, 2003, 09:06 AM
This ad is way cooler than the one with the schleppy white guy dancing out the door like a big ole nerd. The focus here is taken away from the personality of the person with the iPod and put on the hardware and the music.

The song didn't impress me.

What would really be cool is a series of ads with different types of silhouettes moving to different types of music. You could get your cowboy-hatted folks for country, long-haired headbangers, etc... Perhaps working snips of each into one big commercial, demonstrating its cross-cultural appeal.

"All for one, and one for all..."

Gus
Oct 9, 2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Mactivist
It's about time Apple got out of marketing to bougie suburban white folks (think of the racist wedding on a quaint little island commercial for iDVD - blech). I think they could make a mint if they can lower their prices so average humans can afford their stuff, and i think having fun, colourful, groovy ads can appeal to a huge spectrum of the population (machead hicks excluded, clearly.)

I loved it.

:P

WTF are you talking about? Are you a troll trying to stir people up? Your comments are ignorant.

Regards,
Gus

DeusOmnis
Oct 9, 2003, 09:08 AM
wow, you guys are really reading into the marketing a bit too much.

jayscheuerle
Oct 9, 2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by JJTiger1
The iPod is aimed at the youth market, just like the "transistor radios" back in the sixties.

Transistor radio - $12.00

iPod - $299-$499

I don't know many youths that can afford an iPod...

Wonder Boy
Oct 9, 2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by nacl99
I think "urban" as you put it is cool, because us white suburban people do not have much culture, I mean look at all the music out there, most comes from urban, or cultured people.

I have a degree in anthropology from uconn( for those who dont know what anthro is, like jer2665, it is the study of humans and their culture). i have had my share of culture, and i disagree with the statement "white suburban people do not have much culture". the way your statement sounds, it seems like you mean the white man doesnt understand/know the urban lifestyle. that may be true to some extent, but to say that white suburbans dont get much culture is rediculous. we may not know/care about the urban culture, but to blanket us as culturaless is out of line.

your statement of most music comes from urban or cultured people intrigues me. i dont listen to black eyed pees. they could be influenced by african culture, i dont know and i dont care. my point is that bands like nirvana and phish do have a cultural aspect-the american culture. I cant help it if the american culture does not interest you, or you dont have enough respect for your (potentially) native history. american culture in art is overlooked simply because people see it/live it everyday.

one idea i do agree with is that nirvana, soundgarden, pearl jam and bands like that had their decade in the sun in the 90's. i guess it could be considered the peak of american music culture. thats fine. i recognize that. some believe that urban is the wave of the future. i dont think so, but some do. my final point is that urban/alternitive/rave and many other music forms are common in america, therefore they are apart of american culture. people should look beyond the ethnic origins and recognize that america is a combonation of
of thousands of cultures.*translation* the ipod commercial is as american as apple pie.

kaneda
Oct 9, 2003, 09:28 AM
They should have display the actually look of the ipod. so the regular consumers are not confused with Dell's Piece-of-crap-pod.:D

other then that the commercial is hip and cool. I like it

copperpipe
Oct 9, 2003, 09:56 AM
All the people here saying "aww it isn't that good, it could be better, I don't like the song, it's too black" are the kind of people that would make bland commercials aimed at trying to be everything to everyone.

This commercial makes a statement! The groove is hot, fresh, and fun. The people dancing are hot, fresh, and fun. The ipod is hot, fresh, and fun. The colors are bold, which makes a new statement about Apple itself. It says "Apple isn't just the pristine (and boring) white - Apple is fun too!" And to make a commercial this powerful, yet having it be so simple is pure genius. I would rate this as possibly the most effective commercial I've seen from Apple...

deepkid
Oct 9, 2003, 09:58 AM
oh, i like the band, got the cd. i wasn't saying it was a bad ad, or that there are too many urban ads, i was stating how there is a really big surge in it now.

I'm not sure if Apple intentionally targeted a particular race or a cultural genre in their ads, but overall addressing race and ethnicity in advertising is nothing new.

It isn't inherently bad, but arguably fails more often than not.

I think back to the fat, loud, black women mouthing off about how Spic and Span "sho did get huh flos clean!" and early Dominos commercials where the whole family is dancing around the house just to get a slice of pizza.

As a young black kid, I began to do some chicken-or-the-egg sort of wondering about this.. was this behavior nature or nurture?

While those are in poor taste, one could argue since the iPod is a portable music player and many people might dance while listening to a favorite tune, this particular ad is appropriate.

In the past there was what appeared to be a young male of arabic(?) descent dancing to his iPod, so dancing in their ads is not new. There was the young caucasian male in the previous iPod ads and a young black lady as well, but their gyrations weren't as pronounced.

I've always felt that Apple's ads have been bland and quite conservative considering how liberal the company really is. Even the snail ad was a yawner to me.

I think the current iPod ads will definitely connect with the popular youthful demographic that many advertisers try to capture.

jayscheuerle
Oct 9, 2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Wonder Boy
one idea i do agree with is that nirvana, soundgarden, pearl jam and bands like that had their decade in the sun in the 90's. i guess it could be considered the peak of american music culture. thats fine.

Now THAT's funny!

That music would only be considered the peak if you were in your late teens or twenties when it came along.

Music goes through cycles and the often soul-less electronica of today will be replaced by a more raw sound tomorrow. That's what the 60's/70's did to the 50's. That's what the 90's did to the 80's. Why do you think the Simplistic tinkerings of bands like the "White Stripes" are being treated like the next greatest thing? Record company execs know that pre-fab pop's days are numbered (thank god). The hardest thing to do is get exposed to music that isn't the idea of the future as seen by ClearChannel.

The most compelling music, the most culturally resonating music, is what YOU are listening to today.

Apple's just playing for hipness. Like having Tony Hawk do a "Switched" commercial.

Wonder Boy
Oct 9, 2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
Now THAT's funny!

That music would only be considered the peak if you were in your late teens or twenties when it came along.

yeah, i wasnt clear enough. what i meant was that there was a steady surge for about 20-25 years of guitars, bass, drums and keyboard, which ended in the mide 90's with the insurgence of boy bands( thank god thats over)

traditional instruments and genres hit their high note in the 90's and were on a downward fall. thats were urban/rap and stuff like that pick up the slack.

JJTiger1
Oct 9, 2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by deepkid
I'm not sure if Apple intentionally targeted a particular race or a cultural genre in their ads, but overall addressing race and ethnicity in advertising is nothing new.
{snippage}

Well said.

I'm betting that later today, or tomorrow, we will see more new ads with different kinds of music and silhouettes of philharmonic orchestra members, or cowboys, or yuppies, or surfers, or

... Space Aliens !!!

jer2665
Oct 9, 2003, 10:27 AM
and even quicker thank god the "the" bands died out really quickly. Even the 4 months it was big with the strokes, the vines, the...etc etc, was too much for me :) but the white stripes i do like, they are actually doing something different, weird...but different.

jayscheuerle
Oct 9, 2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Wonder Boy
yeah, i wasnt clear enough. what i meant was that there was a steady surge for about 20-25 years of guitars, bass, drums and keyboard, which ended in the mide 90's with the insurgence of boy bands( thank god thats over)

traditional instruments and genres hit their high note in the 90's and were on a downward fall. thats were urban/rap and stuff like that pick up the slack.

You're thinking of Classic Rock, our generation's "Oldies Music", heydays from the late 60's to the early 70's. Remember, that was broken up (or intertwined) with funky Jackson 5 and Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Disco, YAZ, etc. It's the form of singer/songwriters, folk tunes and singing around the campfire. It may not be at a peak right now, but it will be back. Real angst-driven music isn't composed in a studio.

;)

FlamDrag
Oct 9, 2003, 10:37 AM
From my persepective this is simply an evolution of the previous "kareoke" ads with dancing instead of singing.

As said before - these are people who like THIS SONG.

I fully expect there to be other ads with different songs and different dancing. I can imagine a similar ad with say a 50 Cent song playing with folks just bobbing their heads. Or one with a rock song and the 'dancers' playing air guitar or air drums.

I'm not entirely sure that this ad is directed at people who have no idea what an iPod is. It's not an introduction to the iPod (vo: the iPod is a portable digital music player and external hard drive available in sizes of ...) Nope. It's aimed at consumers who are already considering a similar device and know what it is. This is trying to pursuade said buyers to the iPod and away from others.

While it is blastphamy to say this, I honestly think that the ad should read "For PC or Mac" to truly alleveiate any concerns of it working on PC's.

2 cents

Bandit
Oct 9, 2003, 11:00 AM
I want to try to spoof this ad. How do you make that silhouette effect with Final Cut?

jer2665
Oct 9, 2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Bandit
I want to try to spoof this ad. How do you make that silhouette effect with Final Cut?

i haven't used final cut so im not sure, but i think that'd be a pain in the butt with final cut. but you could always export the movie as a series of tifs and change each frame in photoshop, then remake them as a movie. i dont know if this is the best way, i just remember doing this at some point in my class at school to add some effect to the movie.

Wash!!
Oct 9, 2003, 11:14 AM
Need to get a life.

For Gods sake it's an ********** commercial take for what it is is nothing more nothing less get over it.:rolleyes:

By the way I think it's a good commercial
:D

jethro421
Oct 9, 2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by silvergunuk
...okay it was terrible music from some turdy american band but if its what pulls the crowd then so be it. Blending into urban culture nicely.

irony at its finest: Yahoo news (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20031005/music_nm/britain_charts_dc_2)

as for everyone complaining about this ad targeting blacks, that couldn't be further from the truth.

this is real music as much as anything you listen to. just because you don't understand the culture behind it, doesn't make the music invalid. it just means you're out of touch with the music of today's youth.

for people acting like true musicianship ends at hip-hop, may i direct you to the roots (http://www.okayplayer.com/theroots).

if you don't like it, that's fine. it's all a matter of taste, and you're entitled to feel however you want. but don't try to discredit an art form out of pure ignorance. not all rap is gangsta rap. don't be so quick to judge.

broaden your horizons and give something a chance before you make up your mind.

BTW... i had liked some Black Eyed Peas songs before. but after seeing them live, i understand them and appreciate them immensely. i've never danced so much at a concert. and the message at all hip-hop shows i go to is: unity. all walks of life, all races, all ages, all classes, ... come together for a great time.

peace,
lance (rural white boy, signing off) :)

jer2665
Oct 9, 2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by jethro421
irony at its finest: Yahoo news (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20031005/music_nm/britain_charts_dc_2)

as for everyone complaining about this ad targeting blacks, that couldn't be further from the truth.

this is real music as much as anything you listen to. just because you don't understand the culture behind it, doesn't make the music invalid. it just means you're out of touch with the music of today's youth.

for people acting like true musicianship ends at hip-hop, may i direct you to the roots (http://www.okayplayer.com/theroots).

if you don't like it, that's fine. it's all a matter of taste, and you're entitled to feel however you want. but don't try to discredit an art form out of pure ignorance. not all rap is gangsta rap. don't be so quick to judge.

broaden your horizons and give something a chance before you make up your mind.

BTW... i had liked some Black Eyed Peas songs before. but after seeing them live, i understand them and appreciate them immensely. i've never danced so much at a concert. and the message at all hip-hop shows i go to is: unity. all walks of life, all races, all ages, all classes, ... come together for a great time.

peace,
lance (rural white boy, signing off) :)

hah, this all started from me, and got way way off topic. I never said it aimed at blacks, or that all rap is the gangster rap. I listen to quite a bit of rap, along with quite a bit of heavier stuff. I personally was merely stating that there is a big surge in urban commercials, meaning using rapping, dancing, hip hop, r&b, etc etc. Not aiming at blacks.

Wonder Boy
Oct 9, 2003, 11:42 AM
hah, this all started from me, and got way way off topic. I never said it aimed at blacks, or that all rap is the gangster rap. I listen to quite a bit of rap, along with quite a bit of heavier stuff. I personally was merely stating that there is a big surge in urban commercials, meaning using rapping, dancing, hip hop, r&b, etc etc. Not aiming at blacks.

Nazi punk, go home!

haha

1macker1
Oct 9, 2003, 11:45 AM
Speaking of marketing to blacks, how about the black Panther box with the X on it. It puts me in the mind of malcolmn X.

I could be wrong, probably am wrong, but i just noticed it.

Wash!!
Oct 9, 2003, 11:51 AM
ALL OF YOU ARE READING WAYYYYYYY TOOOOOO MUCH IN TO THIS!!!!!!

I hate that "Political correct" crap!!! oh we have to sencetative to other's people feelings. :eek:

Sheebahawk
Oct 9, 2003, 11:59 AM
BEEN up all night drinking, and I saw the ads several times, and it was very good, very much what apple needs right now, IK like it, it works, and If you said something bad about the new adds, you can *uck yourself, cause they are as good as they should be.

Now I can point at the tv, say "apple makes that, don't you wish you had one?" to my friends, and not be embarressed.

And if any of you describe the commercial as Catering to the black community, you an *** my ****** ****. prop 54 may not have p-assed, But id still expect a little more from the learned/less ignorant mac using community Leaving a bad taste in my mouth this morning, and its not from the 151, its from the macrumors community, and I don't even feel like reading all the posts this time cause I don't wamna stir up the ol rage.

I also like the ad with the little boy singing the eminem song

good of you to start kicking some ass apple....

nyctopterus
Oct 9, 2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Wash!!
ALL OF YOU ARE READING WAYYYYYYY TOOOOOO MUCH IN TO THIS!!!!!!

I hate that "Political correct" crap!!! oh we have to sencetative to other's people feelings. :eek:

Did you know Safari has a built in spell checker? Just right-click in a text box and switch it on.

jethro421
Oct 9, 2003, 12:01 PM

i had seen where you clarified your statement and i wasn't really talking to you. the post that made me want to reply was the guy from london calling them a "turdy american band", while their record was doing better in the UK than it was at home.

then other people saying, "bleh, i don't like the music" or something similar.

when i first saw the commercial, my head just started moving with the beat. i'm sure you know what i mean. it's just too bad that some people have a knee-jerk reaction and say they hate it, and it should have been heavy metal instead. i used to be like that. but then i quit thinking i knew everything and started giving other music a chance. the hard thing is you have to get passed all the crap there is in any genre, to find the gems. BEP is definitely a gem. jurassic 5 too. white stripes are amazing. george strait is a great musician as well (threw a loop at you, didn't i? ;) ).

i don't know, maybe living in a city as diverse as LA did it to me. maybe my tastes and sensibilities just matured on their own. but i like my openness and love to be surprised by new experiences.

give in to the groove...

lance

FlamDrag
Oct 9, 2003, 12:11 PM
Need to get a life.

For Gods sake it's an ********** commercial take for what it is is nothing more nothing less get over it.:rolleyes:

Hi, welcome to what's called a discussion forum. We discuss things here. Many people make their careers in advertising or related fields and would like to discuss the new commercial in that light. These people realize that any commercial worth it's salt has every microscopic detail planned out for a particular reason. There should always be something more to it.

Others just want to discuss or opine about Apple, their image of Apple or other things that come to mind when watching the commercial.

If you wish to not participate in this discussion, simply do not click the reply button.

Cheers.

xone
Oct 9, 2003, 12:21 PM
oh we have to sencetative to other's people feelings. :eek:

Wow, I had to slowly read that out loud to understand what word you were trying to spell. :confused:

Debman
Oct 9, 2003, 12:45 PM
they should have said at the end:

iPod

For Mac or PC

rather than:

iPod

Mac or PC

the latter makes it should like "you want an iPod...well, what will you choose as a computer? a mac or a PC"

rather than "want an iPod? well you can use it on a mac or a PC"

.a
Oct 9, 2003, 12:49 PM
has anybody noticed that earlier today, there was this ipod-dancer-icon on apples starting page saying:

ipod
watch the
new tv ads

now it says:

ipod
watch the
new tv ad

prepare for more ad*s*!
:)
has anyone a screenshot of it?
.a

iconrad
Oct 9, 2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by m_gerbik
Seriously????? Perhaps you meant to say it was 10,000 billion times cooler?
:confused:

Maybe I had my own opinion and didn't like it. I sand by my opinion and don't think it's as cool as the other apple commercials. To be more specific I don't like the colors they used or the song.

balconycollapse
Oct 9, 2003, 01:08 PM
Those thirty seconds are going to make apple mega bucks/market penetration for the holidays. I can bet you anything they will assault the fall television line ups and sports especially around thanksgiving. I can see my 4th beer uncles discussing the commercial during a football game. "Hey Steve you have a mac what is that thing...oh really...you mean...wow...that's not much considering". Plus this is the type of commercial that gets little "2 minute" opinion pieces on cable news channels saying "the hot toys for this christmas are....". Besides, history has shown any device that has to do with the listening to or playing of music is a hot item. I like the term in Wired of "rocketing". Meaning that growing trend of consumers being thrifty in most aspects of their life groceries, living expenses type stuff, but spending big bucks on entertainment centers, personal electronics (cellphones/ipod), computers, cars. Consumers want the best! I love the comment someone made about the dellpod. If 1/100 people watching gets what this commercial is about and 1/10000 buy one that'd be alright wouldn't it? I think this commercial is artfully d one. Technique wise vector art is all the rage. Hip hop is the rage. Its going to spur alot of conversations among parents asking their kids what it is. Or their kids asking their parents for one. Once they figure out what it is they will buy the family an ipod thinking they can use their kids toy. Then maybe look at a mac while they are at compusa. I also feel that the ads aren't cliche or as calculated as McDonalds trying to be cool. Or god forbid those awful Mitsubishi adds with the people gyrating in the car wearing tams/berets/j-lo earrings. Consumers can spot a wolf in sheeps... Apple JUST IS cool and has a reputation for being genuine.

Here is the other important trend. The last 2 movies i saw in the theater had macs all over the place.

Duplex (laptop as a plot point)
School of Rock (#1 film...uhh...how many people saw that commercial :) )

Ok...enough unfocused ranting from me.

One last thought. Think of how many people (especially youth) have 1000s of napstered mp3s on the PC side. Sitting at the computer listening is inconvienent. Burning archiving 1000s of mp3 is inconvienent. I still don't think this market has been tapped properly yet. Stodgy dell/microsoft/gateway stuff is NOT cool even among diehard PC users its love and hate. Go iPod the little engine that could!

iPC
Oct 9, 2003, 01:08 PM
I guess the target market for the iPod is the under 25 crowd....

Pretty lame ad if you ask me :rolleyes: Just the type of thing (nearly full screen of one color) that makes me change the channel straight away.

(Not so much now with TiVo and 30sec skip)

1macker1
Oct 9, 2003, 01:12 PM
I don't really care if they had a guy playing the spoons and a harp, I'd still want an iPod

Makosuke
Oct 9, 2003, 01:51 PM
That's probably the best ad I've seen out of Apple since the 1984 one. If it were alone, I wouldn't say that, but considering the current market position of the iPod, where Apple wants to push sales, and how much room they now have to work with the same concept, I really, really like it.

It's hip, it's fresh, it's clean and stylish, it goes against the visual overload of a lot of youth-targeted advertising to make for a fresher feel, and it pulls a 180 on the sterile white of past ads. Makes it that much harder to keep up with Apple, doesn't it? Every time people start to copy their design, they go somewhere else.

For one thing, most people seem to be forgetting that the iPod is incredibly popular already--the MOST popular portable player, in fact. If people know what they are already, Apple is under no pressure to explain the product, any more than VW has to explain why the Beetle looks like it does.

This particular ad (not all of them) is targeted at a fairly young, hip demographic. Those people know the iPod--all you need to do is push them a little harder to realize how cool it is, and remind them that even if they've got a PC, it works just fine.

If the ad were targeted at a demographic that didn't know much about these things, then you'd want to provide a little more info, and I assume they eventually will, but Apple's not going there yet--they're focusing on continued market dominance in that area, hopefully backed by dominance in the Music Store area as well.

Saturate public awareness with a unique ad--nothing else on TV looks like it--and then, once people have the thing embedded in their mind, you make the sale. Get awareness high enough, and once someone decides they want a music player, the first thing that comes to mind is an iPod.

Compufix
Oct 9, 2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by arn
I think it's a great ad.

Anyone? anyone...?

arn

Damn Arn...I thought I was the only Amiga Demo scene guy on here 8-)...I still have a TON of those Demo Disks around, and that was one of the coolest. AMAZING what those guys did with that hardware, some 15+ years ago...8-) Matter of fact, State of the ART runs on the Amiga Emulator last I checked. 8-)

-Compufix

traffic4
Oct 9, 2003, 02:04 PM
an amazing ad by apple.
perfectly targeting the largest market of consumers for their product.

the colours work great on the television format.

and the song, perfect.
it gets the groove going on.

i'm sure apple's next ads will appeal to other genre's as well, as in more urban influence for the first ad.

devotchka
Oct 9, 2003, 02:42 PM
I don't expect to see iPods in the inner city any time soon.

I live in the inner city and i own many apple products including the iPod and a shiny Powerbook and iMac.
:p

Jesus on OSX
Oct 9, 2003, 03:48 PM
That's one hell of an ad. I love it.

Almost makes up for the collosal failure that was the G5 (Blown away) idiotic commercial.

1macker1
Oct 9, 2003, 04:01 PM
a lil off topic, i sorta like the look of the dell dj, but his napster mp3 player is oogly

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1479661/20031009/napster.jhtml?headlines=true

BOOMBA
Oct 9, 2003, 04:15 PM
I am sure someone asked this somewhere once, and no one is confused but me....

... but why is it in the Apple store and in some print ads they show an iPod that is BLACK with red LED lights?

You can only buy WHITE, correct?

Is it just a graphical thing for ads?

thanks

jayscheuerle
Oct 9, 2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by BOOMBA
I am sure someone asked this somewhere once, and no one is confused but me....

... but why is it in the Apple store and in some print ads they show an iPod that is BLACK with red LED lights?

thanks

What you're seeing is a picture of an iPod taken in the dark to show off the lights. Somebody clips it out of the background and sticks it on a white background.

It's just out of context.

alset
Oct 9, 2003, 04:51 PM
This commercial rocks. It's much better than previous iPod spots. Makes want to go to a club and dance all night (though what doesn't?).

Dan

Mason
Oct 9, 2003, 05:13 PM
Just saw the ad on ESPN. I like it a lot and think it will be effective.

Good job!

kangaroo
Oct 9, 2003, 05:31 PM
If this ad were truly effective it would appeal to a broad market as opposed to a particular demographic, it would explain what it is and why its better than the ‘other guy’s product’ and finally, it would tie into iTunes and a larger campaign that seeks to normalize Apple’s digital hub concept. A talented ad agency could do all of that in as little as 15 to 30 seconds.

Instead, they opted for a visual gimmick which preaches to the choir and, probably, alienates a whole bunch of people who might otherwise be interested in an iPod.

Mason
Oct 9, 2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by kangaroo
If this ad were truly effective it would appeal to a broad market as opposed to a particular demographic, it would explain what it is and why its better than the ‘other guy’s product’ and finally, it would tie into iTunes and a larger campaign that seeks to normalize Apple’s digital hub concept. A talented ad agency could do all of that in as little as 15 to 30 seconds.

Instead, they opted for a visual gimmick which preaches to the choir and, probably, alienates a whole bunch of people who might otherwise be interested in an iPod.

You assume that Apple won't also be releasing a new campaign with the anticipated release of iTunes for Windows next week. This could merely be the first salvo in their marketing strategy.

Further, I don't see how this would alienate anyone. Just because it has dancing and a pop song?

smorr
Oct 9, 2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by scem0
I like them.

They are exciting and colorful.

But nothing exceptional.

Still good though :).

scem0

I beg to differ. The one thing that ads must do is cut through the rest of the crap that is competing for your attention, whether you are mindlessly watching TV, making dinner, having a conversation, making out... if an ad, by its very starkness and simplicity makes you stop and watch and give it your attention, it is effective. The fact that the ipod ads do this and they carry brand identity, capitalizes on a existing image, and conveys the image of hip and cool and "I have to have it" then it is highly effective. And effectiveness aside -- this ad is incredibly artistic -- compare the ipod to any other ad out there. It stands aside because it makes you want to look a second or third time (or more) -- It is so simple you can get it instantly, but it takes you a few watches to really absorb it. Truly I think it is something that can be studied in a graphic design school.

It cuts a swath -- I think (IMHO) it has a chance to redefine imaging in advertising for the next couple of years. It is an exceptionally good ad.

Dont Hurt Me
Oct 9, 2003, 06:13 PM
it was thinking different, i liked it though i would have used rock.

smorr
Oct 9, 2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by BOOMBA

thanks

I think this is brilliance actually--- The idea is that the colour isn't the unit -- its the music that is on the unit. Also when you think about it -- white is comprised of ALL colours.

Nicky G
Oct 9, 2003, 06:45 PM
...they opted for a visual gimmick which preaches to the choir and, probably, alienates a whole bunch of people who might otherwise be interested in an iPod.

If you are "alienated" by some black people (literally) dancing around to that "darn urban music," you probably need to get your head checked. Not having it appeal to you in particular is one thing, but how the heck does it "alienate" you? You alienate me by spouting such oddities.

tychay
Oct 9, 2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by PeteyKohut

It came in at #18 (http://www.commercialsihate.com/25greatest/). Love the commentary by the webmaster.

Take care,

tychay
Oct 9, 2003, 07:04 PM
i dont get what's up with companies trying to make "urban" commercials.

Is it all that unusual in Apple's case? Big news was made the other day when all top-10 slots on Billboard's music charts were occupied by Black artists (http://www.cbc.ca/artsCanada/stories/billboard071003). At this point this stuff isn't "urban" it's "pop"!

Sheebahawk
Oct 9, 2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Nicky G
If you are "alienated" by some black people (literally) dancing around to that "darn urban music," you probably need to get your head checked. Not having it appeal to you in particular is one thing, but how the heck does it "alienate" you? You alienate me by spouting such oddities.

Thank you, I am rested and not early as beligerant as I was, but you nicely stated what I'm feeling. Apple's image has always been good in the eyes of its faithful customers, but it can go a long way toward bringing the public to percieve apple as a maker of the finest quality technology devices. Most of the younger generation, believe it or not have already had the "macs are gay" mentality impressed upon them. Its true, ask any twelve year old on the schoolyard what they think about Apple's computers and thats probably what you will hear. The Ipod is obviously not "gay" Its the bentley of portable music

For those of you who, think this commercial appeals to too small a segment of the population, well I am glad you aren't in charge of apples advertising. What Apple needs, isn't marketshare necessarily, its new customers, customers who will stay loyal to the Apple brand because they will recognize the quality as soon as they pick up their ipods. The "under 25 crowd" as someone already referred to, is the best source of new customers, those of you who said you didn't like the commercial, I don't think it matters if you like it. You already bought your ipod.

People who see the ads with the flashing white ipods will remember "Hey 50-cent had one of those...." maybe thats what I want for my big christmas present this year. While they play with their pod over the next year, they will most likely use itunes on windows. When they see itunes on windows, they will want to take a closer look (or maybe a first look) at 10.3. Next xmas, they'll probably be wanting a g5 imac to dance around with.

Apple, it seems to me, is growing in its hipness, even more so than the image its carried in the past. I only see this increasing in the future, as long as apple keeps us intrigued with sexy new products, functional jewelry, whatever you want to call it. I just hope this doesn't make people tired and weary of apple instead, but who really would get tired of looking at or using an ipod.

Sheebahawk
Oct 9, 2003, 07:24 PM
edited: not sure why this got posted again, deleted it, pretty sure the originals still about three pages back

gwangung
Oct 9, 2003, 07:36 PM
If this ad were truly effective it would appeal to a broad market as opposed to a particular demographic,

You don't know advertising and marketing, do you?

Doctor Q
Oct 9, 2003, 10:12 PM

I am one of those white, middle-class, suburbanites and this ad definitely turns me off. I think that if they run two sets of ads, one directed to kids and another directed to their parents, each target audience will be turned on by the ones intended for them more than they will be turned off by the ones intended for the other group. Net result: more demand among both groups. Also, parents may be the source of much of the purchase money, but when Mom and Dad finally decide to get Junior that music player, it's Junior who decides which brand/model.

Turismo86
Oct 9, 2003, 10:35 PM
I love this ad, If i didnt already have two ipod s i would go buy another. The song is an excellent choice, upbeat, urban but not too urban, and eye-catching too. I just wish there was a non-silhouetted version so i could get a better look at the girl in green.:D Good work Apple, it almost makes me feel like I have some rhythym.

guenesis
Oct 9, 2003, 11:05 PM

You know it! I caught the ad as my beloved Yanks were playing. Those hips got me going! I'm glad someone else was paying attention!

BTW, like your tag, coolbreeze. Reminds me of one of my favorite scenes in "Dead Presidents."

regards,

guenesis

dfa4
Oct 9, 2003, 11:08 PM
I haven't read some of the later posts, so this may have already been noted, but I downloaded the ad to my comp (to keep for posterity) and noticed the file name, "iPod-ad-hip_hop_480.mov". I suspect by the naming convention that indeed more ads are to come featuring different types of music genres.

guenesis
Oct 9, 2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by dfa4
I haven't read some of the later posts, so this may have already been noted, but I downloaded the ad to my comp (to keep for posterity) and noticed the file name, "iPod-ad-hip_hop_480.mov". I suspect by the naming convention that indeed more ads are to come featuring different types of music genres.

Duane,

That makes sense to me, should be interesting to see what else comes along.

Liked your web-site! Cornell man, eh? Well done!

regards,

guenesis

kangaroo
Oct 10, 2003, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by Mason
You assume that Apple won't also be releasing a new campaign with the anticipated release of iTunes for Windows next week. This could merely be the first salvo in their marketing strategy.

I don’t assume anything about what Apple may or may not do. My comment was related only to the ad at hand. Since Apple has acknowledged that iTunes isn’t so much a profit engine as it is a gateway or "Trojan horse" to incite interest in the iPod, then they certainly should ‘release a new campaign’ to tie them together.

Originally posted by Mason
Further, I don't see how this would alienate anyone. Just because it has dancing and a pop song?

If you, personally, don’t like the style of music used in the ad then it might ‘turn you off’ or ‘alienate’ you to the product. Music is personal. Substitute music that you don’t like in the ad and I suspect your reaction will be less favorable. It’s that simple.

Originally posted by Nicky G

I never said I was alienated—reread the post. So you don’t like my use of the word ‘alienate’? You’d feel more comfortable if I had used ‘not appeal’? How about you getting a life and not taking yourself so seriously—it’s just an ad. And although I won’t suggest that you get ‘your head checked’ I will suggest that you read posts at least twice, keep a dictionary nearby and don’t be so belligerent.

gwangung
Oct 10, 2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by dfa4

Ya think?

I think this thread proves once and for all the folks who should NOT be in charge of Apple's advertising are its fans.....

[Sidenote: I deal a lot with fringe theatre. The most vital, edgy and creative among them are pretty conversant with hip hop, spoken word and other urban genres. Hmmm. Vital. Edgy. Creative. Wonder what type of computer would go under that.....]

maxterpiece
Oct 10, 2003, 02:06 AM
Jeez guys, Where Is the Love? I mean, all this yelling about blackness and whiteness and alienation makes me want to get up on stage and yell to everyone, black or white, "Hands Up"! Or, "Let's Get Retarded and stop getting so anxious about color lines". I mean, you know we all like the way Latin Girls dance. Hey Mama, you know they're Sexy.

Get my point?

redAPPLE
Oct 10, 2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by moby1
MUCH better than the previous ads. :)

are you implying you "hate" jeff goldblum's voice? :p

JJTiger1
Oct 10, 2003, 09:02 AM
Did you notice that the silhouettes were dancing by themselves?

I would rather that my dance partner hears the same tune so that we can dance together. That's why we use a portable CD player/boom box. We both can hear the tune.

I feel sorry for those unfortunate tekkies who can't get a date.
=-=
JJ

guenesis
Oct 10, 2003, 11:04 AM
"Ya think?

I think this thread proves once and for all the folks who should NOT be in charge of Apple's advertising are its fans....."

You are probably right. But this thread isn't about whether or not Apple's rabid faithful should be in charge of advertising. It's just a collection of honest reactions. Some of which I agree with, some I don't. But who knows, maybe some of us learned something.

"[Sidenote: I deal a lot with fringe theatre. The most vital, edgy and creative among them are pretty conversant with hip hop, spoken word and other urban genres. Hmmm. Vital. Edgy. Creative. Wonder what type of computer would go under that.....]"

Ya think? ;)

regards,

guenesis

Smurfman
Oct 10, 2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Flowbee
PS - I really like the new ad. Very attention-getting yet no 'hard sell.' Very Apple. :)

I REALLY like the commercial and I'm white and listen to Christian Rock music!

It makes me boogie! :D

1macker1
Oct 10, 2003, 02:59 PM
why haven't i seen this ad on tv yet?

tduality
Oct 10, 2003, 03:04 PM
Wow. Just so the ad and didn't read anything in this thread, and here's what I think about it:

It's not the kind of music I like. Looks like I'm not in their target group. But the ad is just:

Wow. Great.

I'll go seeing it again.