PDA

View Full Version : Newbie = Is a PowerMac G5 Noisy?

mpaar
Jan 7, 2008, 01:30 PM
I am a Newbie about to switch and I am considering getting a PowerMac G5. Just how noisy are they? Similar to a windows desktop? What is a fair price for one = $1,000? Is this a good way to go as opposed to a new iMac?

Thanks,
mikey

surflordca
Jan 7, 2008, 01:31 PM
I am a Newbie about to switch and I am considering getting a PowerMac G5. Just how noisy are they? Similar to a windows desktop? What is a fair price for one = $1,000? Is this a good way to go as opposed to a new iMac?

Thanks,
mikey

If you can afford it, get the new iMac.

Macinposh
Jan 7, 2008, 04:02 PM
The G5s noise levels vary from noisy to NOISY!

When they are idle they compare to standard pc, but when they ramp up the fans...all hell breaks loose. Have had a 2.5 and a 2.7 in the same room and oh boy when they start to compete. Itīs not even funny.
I am not particulary allergic to noise but those two were like a vacuum cleaner.

So,if your budget allows go for a intel iMac. Same or more power and compact design. And aah so quiet..

trainguy77
Jan 7, 2008, 05:26 PM
The ones we have at school are way less noisy then any PC out there. I think it depends on the model. I think the slower ones are quieter but i am not certain on that.

sk8ordie
Jan 7, 2008, 05:45 PM
Mine only gets loud in the summer (I have no AC and the house can get up to 95 degrees F).

speakerwizard
Jan 7, 2008, 06:16 PM
G5s were hot baby, there are like 8 fans in the water cooled ones, they rev frequestly, my 'office' is in my bedroom and i couldnt sleep if i rendered through the night, my c2d imac is almost silent, and faster with same ram. (the g5 was 2.8 dual and the imac core2duo 2.16)

jrlcopy
Jan 7, 2008, 06:28 PM
Anyone know about why when they lock up it sounds like a freakin jet engine about to take off?

Is this just a precaution to prevent the processors overheating? Or is the thing really ready to explode?

trainguy77
Jan 7, 2008, 07:21 PM
Anyone know about why when they lock up it sounds like a freakin jet engine about to take off?

Is this just a precaution to prevent the processors overheating? Or is the thing really ready to explode?

The OS can't control the fans any longer so the Hardware wants to make sure the CPUs or anything else doesn't over heat. So it revs full. Atleast I am pretty sure thats the reason. :rolleyes:

MurphyM
Jan 7, 2008, 07:33 PM
If you can afford it, get the new iMac.

Agreed. You'll get more for about the same money. Plus you'll get a warranty.

For the record, I have a G5 1.8DP that I've never considered remotely noisy.

trainguy77
Jan 7, 2008, 07:40 PM
A current imac is faster then the G5 towers. So unless you need the expansion room. The imac is the way to go.

cantthinkofone
Jan 7, 2008, 07:44 PM
The nosiest G5 i have ever heard was a 1.6 imac. the fan would come on if you opened up calculator. much less safari. it was debated if we should put a strap on it or not.

the dual 1.8 powermac G5 i have is quiet for the most part. if you start working with movies, or photoshop the fans get a little louder. but its not noticeable to me any more. When it was running panther way back when, once in a while OSX wouldn't get control the fans on start up. Sounded like a dam jet starting up.

I miss G5s :( kinda like the days of muscle cars lol. even tho im 21 haha.

hardhatmac
Jan 7, 2008, 07:45 PM
An iMac (obviously) comes with a monitor, keyboard/mouse, warranty, etc.

a G5, depending on where you get it, comes with the tower only.....

so you might save money on the iMac seeing as how you get everything you need to get up and running...the G5 you'll have to spring for monitors and the whole shabang...

my $0.02