PDA

View Full Version : itunes 7.6 coming next week required for family guy blue harvest digital download

mr echo
Jan 7, 2008, 02:15 PM
Hello my first post just to let you guys know that i received my dvd of family guy blue harvest (star wars spoof) today comes with a extra disc for digital downloads that can be placed on ipod or iphone it requires itunes 7.6. I got the dvd a week before street date so itunes update on the 15th latest guarantied.:apple:

psychofreak
Jan 7, 2008, 02:18 PM
If true, good catch, and a bit of a disappointment iTunes 8 isn't coming...

Photo evidence please :)

Virgil-TB2
Jan 7, 2008, 02:23 PM
Hello my first post just to let you guys know that i received my dvd of family guy blue harvest (star wars spoof) today comes with a extra disc for digital downloads that can be placed on ipod or iphone it requires itunes 7.6. I got the dvd a week before street date so itunes update on the 15th latest guarantied.:apple:Cool :) (in regards the iTunes update), but sad that you actually spent money on that piece of misery known as "family Guy." :(

Littleodie914
Jan 7, 2008, 02:30 PM
Cool :) (in regards the iTunes update), but sad that you actually spent money on that piece of misery known as "family Guy." :(What!! Family Guy could be one of the greatest shows of all time! It picked up where The Simpsons left off when they tanked, and has surpassed its comedic wit easily! :eek:

NightStorm
Jan 7, 2008, 02:35 PM
Interesting... wonder if this is somehow related to the reason why iTunes won't let me buy all of the season 6 episodes (reports that item is currently being modified and is not available)...

walnuts
Jan 7, 2008, 03:09 PM

Very true, but I would guess that they would have to have an impressive visual change or feature (other than accomodating new hardware or new type of product in the iTMS) to warrant a new number release. I can't really imagine what else they could do to iTunes. Certainly not much more visually- my work computer can barely handle cover flow, and its relatively new.

Sky Blue
Jan 7, 2008, 03:11 PM
Nice.

The Order of the Phoenix DVD has a code for a digital download for 'Your computer and personal video player".

Small print at the bottom says "not available for Mac OS X or iPod devices" :rolleyes:

Eric Lewis
Jan 7, 2008, 03:12 PM
not real unless picture

Virgil-TB2
Jan 7, 2008, 03:25 PM
What!! Family Guy could be one of the greatest shows of all time! It picked up where The Simpsons left off when they tanked, and has surpassed its comedic wit easily! :eek:IMO Family Guy is indeed the rightful successor to the Simpsons show, but not in a good way.

The Simpsons started getting bad when they began to go way to far into micro-second "fantasy interludes" and dropped any pretense of internal logic, realism, and character and situation driven story-lines. It quickly descended into the worst kind of drivel, and became sort of an illustrated version of a bad stand up routine from some third-rate Vegas bar.

Family Guy takes that shift and runs it out of the park with it. They also add a generous helping of cruel, nasty, negativity on top.

As dumb as some of the later episodes are, at least Homer Simpson is at the bottom of it all, a good person with a heart. There isn't a single character on Family Guy that actually is a "good person" with the exception of the dog, Brian. Even he is constantly being set-up into situations where he has to lie, cheat, or do some other nasty thing so that he won't seem like he's better than the rest of the reprobates on the show.

The "message" of Family Guy (such as it is), is that we are all shallow, cruel and selfish people and it's humour comes from a very uncool, relishing of that fact. Whomever writes it must have a particularly cruel bent, and an almost hopeless view of humanity in general. I'm betting that he used to pull wings off of flies as a child. ;)

IMO, if you are the kind of person that laughs out loud at "America's Funniest Videos" when a baby bashes it's head on the sharp edge of a coffee table, then you will find Family Guy hilarious.

Sorkvild
Jan 7, 2008, 04:34 PM
IMO Family Guy is indeed the rightful successor to the Simpsons show, but not in a good way.

The Simpsons started getting bad when they began to go way to far into micro-second "fantasy interludes" and dropped any pretense of internal logic, realism, and character and situation driven story-lines. It quickly descended into the worst kind of drivel, and became sort of an illustrated version of a bad stand up routine from some third-rate Vegas bar.

Family Guy takes that shift and runs it out of the park with it. They also add a generous helping of cruel, nasty, negativity on top.

As dumb as some of the later episodes are, at least Homer Simpson is at the bottom of it all, a good person with a heart. There isn't a single character on Family Guy that actually is a "good person" with the exception of the dog, Brian. Even he is constantly being set-up into situations where he has to lie, cheat, or do some other nasty thing so that he won't seem like he's better than the rest of the reprobates on the show.

The "message" of Family Guy (such as it is), is that we are all shallow, cruel and selfish people and it's humour comes from a very uncool, relishing of that fact. Whomever writes it must have a particularly cruel bent, and an almost hopeless view of humanity in general. I'm betting that he used to pull wings off of flies as a child. ;)

IMO, if you are the kind of person that laughs out loud at "America's Funniest Videos" when a baby bashes it's head on the sharp edge of a coffee table, then you will find Family Guy hilarious.

:eek: geez, I thought I was just watching plain ol' TV...

Loge
Jan 7, 2008, 05:18 PM
Nice.

The Order of the Phoenix DVD has a code for a digital download for 'Your computer and personal video player".

Small print at the bottom says "not available for Mac OS X or iPod devices" :rolleyes:

Also "must reside in the US". Good thing we have Handbrake.

billabong
Jan 7, 2008, 10:04 PM
Hello my first post just to let you guys know that i received my dvd of family guy blue harvest (star wars spoof) today comes with a extra disc for digital downloads that can be placed on ipod or iphone it requires itunes 7.6. I got the dvd a week before street date so itunes update on the 15th latest guarantied.:apple:

want to post a picture of this thing?

zephead
Jan 8, 2008, 01:57 AM
:rolleyes: This isn't the first time we've had a newbie whose only post is to tell us that they have/know about some unnannounced product/upgrade.

jimN
Jan 8, 2008, 03:39 AM
Well, it is a Fox DVD and they have allegedly agreed to do this. However, I'm with Billabong, pictures or it didn't happen.

mr echo
Jan 8, 2008, 07:02 AM
Well, it is a Fox DVD and they have allegedly agreed to do this. However, I'm with Billabong, pictures or it didn't happen.

you guys want some pics I finish work soon so here they come can u handle the truth:eek:

mr echo
Jan 8, 2008, 07:58 AM
:rolleyes: This isn't the first time we've had a newbie whose only post is to tell us that they have/know about some unnannounced product/upgrade.

Here it is :D

milo
Jan 8, 2008, 11:14 AM

Well, there you go.

Diatribe
Jan 8, 2008, 11:25 AM
Nice. Though I doubt they include anything big. It's been quite some time since the last big update.

NightStorm
Jan 8, 2008, 11:38 AM
Now featured on TUAW.com as well: http://www.tuaw.com/2008/01/08/rumour-fox-to-include-itunes-files-with-dvds-starting-15th-jan/

maxrobertson
Jan 8, 2008, 12:41 PM
What!! Family Guy could be one of the greatest shows of all time! It picked up where The Simpsons left off when they tanked, and has surpassed its comedic wit easily! :eek:

Are you kidding? Watching old Simpsons episodes, I can see exactly where Family Guy got most of their ideas, and frankly I don't find the show funny. It would be fine if they didn't overuse their non sequiturs, "dumb" humor, sexism, etc, but the writers apparently don't know when they're going over funny and onto annoying.

And to the OP, what happens when you click the Update button?

MacRumors
Jan 8, 2008, 12:44 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

MacRumors reader mr echo received an early copy of a Family Guy DVD intended for release January 15th and discovered an included iTunes/iPod compatible digital copy.

Previously, digital copies included with DVDs were encoded in protected Windows Media format, making them incompatible with the iPod or iPhone. However, indications are that both WMV and H.264 (iPod/iPhone compatible) digital copies will be distributed.

Including a digital copy on the DVD makes ripping the DVD for use with portable media players largely unnecessary, although the files are likely to contain digital rights management.

The H.264 copies reportedly require iTunes 7.6, which isn't yet available. However, we had previously heard that iTunes and QuickTime updates would be coming by Macworld (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/11/itunes-quicktime-updates-to-come-by-macworld/).

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/08/fox-dvds-to-include-itunes-compatible-digital-copies/)

Ha ze
Jan 8, 2008, 12:47 PM
This is awesome.

pjarvi
Jan 8, 2008, 12:49 PM
The whole reason I buy movies on iTunes is so I don't have to deal with a physical disc that I have to find room to store. This seems pointless to me, surely you won't be able to copy the digital version off the DVD an unlimited number of times? If you could it would just result in rampant piracy of the digital version.

Sky Blue
Jan 8, 2008, 12:50 PM
The whole reason I buy movies on iTunes is so I don't have to deal with a physical disc that I have to find room to store. This seems pointless to me, surely you won't be able to copy the digital version off the DVD an unlimited number of times? If you could it would just result in rampant piracy of the digital version.

You have an access code to download the file once.

CWallace
Jan 8, 2008, 12:57 PM
Since FOX is one of the studios supporting iTunes Store video rentals, it stands to reason they would launch DVDs with digital content that works on the Mac.

agentkow
Jan 8, 2008, 12:59 PM
You would think that Apple would have anticipated early DVD pre-releases, but I guess with time for manufacturing they had no choice.

Asar
Jan 8, 2008, 01:06 PM
so what if i rent this from blockbuster? i get to keep the digital movie?

pdjudd
Jan 8, 2008, 01:08 PM

No. It will only be in retail packaging. Not rental packaging. Furthermore it will be a code valid only once.

ProstheticHead
Jan 8, 2008, 01:09 PM

Received an "early copy" eh? Just like those "early copies" of Leopard people got from torrent sites? ;)

Eduardo1971
Jan 8, 2008, 01:13 PM

Photo evidence please :)

Why would you be disappointed if a new version of iTunes is a "7.6" release and not "8.0"?

longofest
Jan 8, 2008, 01:14 PM

No digital copy for you. Rentals are different.

guzhogi
Jan 8, 2008, 01:15 PM
Nice.

Where'd you find that? I just bought the Order of the Phoenix DVD. I have Flip4Mac installed so if it's in WMV format, I should be good.

Eduardo1971
Jan 8, 2008, 01:17 PM
IMO Family Guy is indeed the rightful successor to the Simpsons show, but not in a good way... hilarious.

I totally agree with every point you made. I caught an episode of "Family Guy" for the very first time about two weeks ago. The "humour" was vulgar and mean spirited; I didn't get the point of it.

Sky Blue
Jan 8, 2008, 01:17 PM
Where'd you find that? I just bought the Order of the Phoenix DVD. I have Flip4Mac installed so if it's in WMV format, I should be good.

It's on a flyer in the DVD. My box also says 'Free digital copy' on a sticker on the box. As previously mentions it needs XP/Vista and Media Player.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6488490.html

NightStorm
Jan 8, 2008, 01:23 PM
Flip4Mac doesn't support WMV DRM as far as I know, so you wouldn't be able to use it to watch this file.

Asar
i think this is a great idea, saves a convert. so apple must be getting paid for every movie sold at stores now with this feature. more money :D

mainstreetmark

Before Homer was the breakout character, the whole series was about Bart, who was a "bad boy", and received a LOT of flak for being a terrible role model. Only FOX would carry the show at first.

I'm not sure the two are all that different, except for Family Guy lacks political correctness, which means if you're not tolerant of off-color jokes, you are welcome to not watch it. But, as the ratings will tell you, many people get a good chuckle out of it, and much like early Simpsons, is that so bad?

PS: Can you Apple-Shift-4 that image? Get us a screenshot, and not a picture.

psychometry
Jan 8, 2008, 01:25 PM

Um, ever hear of a screenshot?

Draythor
Jan 8, 2008, 01:32 PM
I'm guessing this is a USA only type of thing again?
sigh
:(

amac4me
Jan 8, 2008, 01:32 PM
iTunes 7.6 will probably include some new iPhone features as well. Next week can't get here fast enough :D

m4rc
Jan 8, 2008, 01:33 PM

People would have accused him of faking it. Don't see many apologies for not believing the guy either, people are so quick to laugh at things they hear but seem to go all quiet when faced with the facts!

twoodcc
Jan 8, 2008, 01:34 PM
great news! can't wait til next week!

sartinsauce
Jan 8, 2008, 01:35 PM
IMO Family Guy is indeed the rightful successor to the Simpsons show, but not in a good way.

That's funny, your derogatory insinuations and negative connotations portray all the elements of Family Guy that my friends and I enjoy the most. The "fantasy interludes" lacking "internal logic" are brilliant departures from traditional linear storytelling.

The "cruel bent" of the writers is what keeps the show fresh and allows them to continue to push the limit of what is "acceptable" or "appropriate" for Broadcast Television. This kind of "boundary pushing" allows the writers use their creativity in ways that works circles around other television comedy writers.

You know, I started to write a lot more, then I realized that since you don't "get it" already my comments and arguments are useless against you.

EDIT: Back on topic, this feature is excellent and very exciting, I'm really looking forward to these benefits of these new content partnerships. This should be a very hot year for Apple!

Popeye206
Jan 8, 2008, 01:36 PM
This is great! We bought the new Harry Potter DVD for the digital version only to find out it was WMP compatible only! We were highly surprised and disappointed... this is good and I hope we see more soon!

GeekLawyer
Jan 8, 2008, 01:38 PM
Nice find. Can't wait till MWSF. I'm ready for all the details!

mr echo
Jan 8, 2008, 01:38 PM
Received an "early copy" eh? Just like those "early copies" of Leopard people got from torrent sites? ;)

Bit harsh:( its amazing what you can download these days you even get the packaging and t-shirt to:D one last pic for you

denm316
Jan 8, 2008, 01:39 PM
Family Guy is a funny show but is no where near as good as South Park.

GeekLawyer
Jan 8, 2008, 01:40 PM
Bit harsh:( its amazing what you can download these days you even get the packaging and t-shirt to:D one last pic for you

Well played. And thanks for sharing. It really helps us to anticipate Apple's content delivery strategy.

MacFly123
Jan 8, 2008, 01:42 PM
FAKE pic!!! The moray girder manifold lines are opposite of the polarity of earth during the vernal equinox according to the standard moray association and photoshop shows different spectral results that contradict any possible truth LOLOL, jk :)

chr1s60
Perhaps iTunes 7.6 will include some bug fixes and a new feature or two and iTunes 8 will be released when 3rd party apps officially launch some time in February. This would make sense as long as the apps are distributed through Apple controlled iTunes. It would also be nice if iTunes 7.6 would be released and used with iPhone software 1.1.3!

Dimwhit
Hey mr echo, what is the file size on that file? Does Get Info give you the video dimension size?

jackc
Jan 8, 2008, 01:44 PM

Maybe if you study it in English class it has a "message," otherwise it's just teh funny.

CWallace
Jan 8, 2008, 01:45 PM
iTunes 7.6 will probably include some new iPhone features as well. Next week can't get here fast enough :D

Be nice if iTunes 7.6 and iPhone firmware 1.1.3 co-launched. :cool:

notsofatjames
Jan 8, 2008, 01:45 PM
so what happens when you click update then? Gets you a pre-release itunes too? You'd be Mr Pre-Release (or Miss/Mrs for that matter). And well played with the replys to the not-so-nice commenters. I like to see people that rise against joining in pointless arguments and win with pure wit! Well done and welcome and mac-rumors! I'm sure you'll fit in just fine!

Telp
Jan 8, 2008, 01:46 PM
Very true, but I would guess that they would have to have an impressive visual change or feature (other than accomodating new hardware or new type of product in the iTMS) to warrant a new number release. I can't really imagine what else they could do to iTunes. Certainly not much more visually- my work computer can barely handle cover flow, and its relatively new.

movie rentals would most likely warrant an update that significant.

GeekLawyer
Be nice if iTunes 7.6 and iPhone firmware 1.1.3 co-launched. :cool:

That would be very nice indeed. I can't pull the trigger on a Mac Pro right now. Give me something to hang my AppleTV and iPhone hat on, would you Steve?

CWallace
I'm guessing this is a USA only type of thing again? :(

I expect iTunes 7.6 will be available world-wide, but I do believe video rentals will be limited to the United States at launch.

FleurDuMal
Jan 8, 2008, 01:54 PM
Any idea on the dimensions or bit rate of the file?

guzhogi
Jan 8, 2008, 01:55 PM
Just thought of something: if/when Apple starts doing movie rentals, when the rentals expire, maybe we can have an option to extend the rental an extra day and also an option to buy the movie at a reduced cost. Probably the cost of buying the movie - cost of renting it. That way, if you absolutely love the movie, you can buy it. If you totally hate it, you just wasted less money than actually buying it.

eRondeau
Jan 8, 2008, 01:56 PM
1) First post = Automatic suspicion.

2) Fuzzy photo of CRT cleverly hides Photoshop errors. A lot of UFO photos look a lot like this.

3) Apple often has a little triangle thingie for "More Info..." on such error notifications now.

4) Seems to me a major feature addition like this would not be a .1 upgrade to iTunes.

cyberfunk
Jan 8, 2008, 01:56 PM
I'll keep ripping the stuff straight from DVD because it'll be unencumbered by DRM and likely of higher quality AND it's legal for me to do so. Unless Fox./Apple can offer me something I CANT get by ripping a DVD with my standard toolset (VLC et al) I see absolutely no reason that this is anything but a lower class offering.

freeny
Jan 8, 2008, 01:59 PM
http://foxdigitalcopy.com/howitworks.aspx

pamon
Jan 8, 2008, 02:00 PM
it's a great idea, unknown if mac compatible, but the bigger issue is which retailer broke street date on this by a week? Whomever that retailer is, will be getting a big slap from Apple's Legal/PR teams as well as FOX for selling that prior especially w/ so much on the line w/ the portable copy.

bdkennedy1
Jan 8, 2008, 02:01 PM
How would they enable digital rights management on a read-only file? the only thing I can think of is that iTunes will require the DVD to be inserted initially before importing the file into iTunes.

jabooth
Jan 8, 2008, 02:03 PM

2) Fuzzy photo of CRT cleverly hides Photoshop errors. A lot of UFO photos look a lot like this.

3) Apple often has a little triangle thingie for "More Info..." on such error notifications now.

4) Seems to me a major feature addition like this would not be a .1 upgrade to iTunes.

Hmm I hope your joshing - otherwise you actually think the OP has gone to extraordinary lengths to fake something that really wouldn't be worth spending time over.

You think he built the box too? Have you read the tuaw article? You think he produced the fine print?

I for one believe you OP, and congrats on the find.

Don't let the cynics get to you!! ;)

rockosmodurnlif
Jan 8, 2008, 02:03 PM
Now this is a rumor. :)

Of course this is only good for new DVDs and movies. Yes, I have to find fault.

OhEsTen
Jan 8, 2008, 02:04 PM

You can't take a screenshot of a DVD... DVD player disables it...

Peace
Jan 8, 2008, 02:04 PM
it's a great idea, unknown if mac compatible, but the bigger issue is which retailer broke street date on this by a week? Whomever that retailer is, will be getting a big slap from Apple's Legal/PR teams as well as FOX for selling that prior especially w/ so much on the line w/ the portable copy.

DVD-ROM drive required on your PC.
Internet connection required.
Includes PC enhanced digital file at 1.6 Mbps and portable player enhanced digital file at 768 Kbps.
Microsoft Windows PlaysForSure compatible. Contact your device manufacturer or visit www.playsforsure.com for more information and compatibility. (Not currently compatible with Apple’s video iPod, Sony PSP, or Microsoft Zune)..
Minimum operating system requirements: Windows XP or Vista Operating System with Microsoft Windows Media Player 10 and above. Latest Windows service pack level and Windows Media Player versions are recommended.
Portable media player must be Windows PlaysForSure compatible and have video playback support of protected WMV files up to 800 Kbps.

freeny
Jan 8, 2008, 02:05 PM
How would they enable digital rights management on a read-only file? the only thing I can think of is that iTunes will require the DVD to be inserted initially before importing the file into iTunes.

Go to the link in my previous post.
You need to register your copy on your computer via the internet with a serial number that comes in the box.

maxrobertson
Jan 8, 2008, 02:05 PM
Family Guy is a funny show but is no where near as good as South Park.

I agree. They're both funny in a similar way, but I think Southpark is more intelligent, and doesn't get taken as seriously as Family Guy does.

FreeState
Jan 8, 2008, 02:06 PM
Im hoping with all of this AppleTV gets a software update - and a hardware update with a Blueray player - Id be all over a new AppleTV if that were the case:)

gusapple
Jan 8, 2008, 02:06 PM
This is a way cool idea. However, many people with these "screenshots" end up getting ridiculed by society. (The Mac society) I think that this is real. I want to believe it is. I just can't seem to grasp how this is a good move for either Fox or Apple. Also, what about DVD rentals? Wouldn't they have to block these files?

Dimwhit
Jan 8, 2008, 02:07 PM
I agree. They're both funny in a similar way, but I think Southpark is more intelligent, and doesn't get taken as seriously as Family Guy does.

Neither holds a candle to the sadly defunct Futurama.

Eduardo1971
Jan 8, 2008, 02:10 PM

oh snap!

CWallace
Jan 8, 2008, 02:13 PM
Neither holds a candle to the sadly defunct Futurama.

So true, sir. South Park lost me two episodes in this season (and Drawn Together lost me with the season premiere).

Family Guy has been hit or miss since coming back, but it has more hits then misses in my mind. I gave up on American Dad at the end of Season One, but seeing them all at San Diego Comic Con drew me back.

Because the "direct" ensemble cast is smaller in Futurama then Family Guy, which is driven by the setting, I can accept that Family Guy is more the "successor" to The Simpsons then Futurama is, but I still think Futurama is the best.

I own all the DVDs, but still Tivo'd Adult Swim's NYE marathon. :D

kornyboy
Jan 8, 2008, 02:13 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Cool this is a trend that I hope continues with other studios.

Sky Blue
Jan 8, 2008, 02:17 PM
here's the procedure;

http://foxdigitalcopy.com/

balamw
Jan 8, 2008, 02:20 PM
here's the procedure;

http://foxdigitalcopy.com/

Don't think so. From their FAQ:

Is Digital Copy available to transfer to my iPod, PSP or other portable media player?
A: At this time, Digital Copy is only available to transfer to Windows PlaysForSure devices.
It may be similar, but this is new.

B

benfilan
Jan 8, 2008, 02:20 PM
What!! Family Guy could be one of the greatest shows of all time! It picked up where The Simpsons left off when they tanked, and has surpassed its comedic wit easily! :eek:

i agree!!! family guy is amazing!:D:D:D

NightStorm
Jan 8, 2008, 02:21 PM
I'm hoping 7.6 also adds a way to sync TV shows in order of oldest not viewed, instead of the current last x unplayed. It makes it nearly impossible to watch a TV show in proper order unless you play around with it.

Sky Blue
Jan 8, 2008, 02:22 PM

hahaha, oh man....

It's reported over at tuaw with different screenshots.
Fox have been doing this before.

earnjam
Jan 8, 2008, 02:24 PM
So true, sir. South Park lost me two episodes in this season (and Drawn Together lost me with the season premiere).

Family Guy has been hit or miss since coming back, but it has more hits then misses in my mind. I gave up on American Dad at the end of Season One, but seeing them all at San Diego Comic Con drew me back.

Because the "direct" ensemble cast is smaller in Futurama then Family Guy, which is driven by the setting, I can accept that Family Guy is more the "successor" to The Simpsons then Futurama is, but I still think Futurama is the best.

I own all the DVDs, but still Tivo'd Adult Swim's NYE marathon. :D

I've read that Comedy Central is pondering bringing Futurama back based on it's Family Guy-esque cult following that developed on Cartoon Network.

http://ccinsider.comedycentral.com/cc_insider/2006/06/futurama_the_re.html
http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-futuramareturns,0,5482270.story
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/42017/futurama_has_a_future_new_episodes.html

I haven't heard much about it since then, but I did see the first two episodes of season one on the other night though.

Personally I like South Park the best, but I still think Family guy and Futurama are hilarious....all 3 are better than Simpsons.

On topic, I think this development about digital copies on DVD's is a good thing and step in the right direction. I'm still going to rip my own copies using Handbrake to bypass DRM, but hey, it's a start.

Sky Blue
Jan 8, 2008, 02:25 PM
Don't think so. From their FAQ:

It may be similar, but this is new.

B

Do think so.

If you look at tuaw.com they have a shot of the box and terms. It's been updated so it only doesn't work on Zune and PSP.

Sky Blue
Jan 8, 2008, 02:26 PM
I haven't heard much about it since then...

errr...they brought out a new DVD last year to be shown on CC later.

slu
Jan 8, 2008, 02:28 PM

This post is an epic fail.

I mean seriously, between the previous rumors of this, the multiple sources, and his pics, what more proof do you need? Does he need to drive to your house with the disc? And if that is the case, why are you at a rumor site at all? Isn't the fun in the speculation?

Well done OP and much appreciated!

I am glad this is happening. It will save me many overnight handbrake sessions. I just wish I could get these for movies I already bought.

question fear
Jan 8, 2008, 02:30 PM
You would think that Apple would have anticipated early DVD pre-releases, but I guess with time for manufacturing they had no choice.

Eh, street dates get broken all the time by certain retailers. Admittedly this is way early, but someone might have slapped the wrong sticker on the box or something. Titles that are "laydown" meaning they can only be put out as of XX/XX/XXXX, come in with that date printed on a label in BRIGHT colors. If the dvd snuck into this Tuesday's releases, or a retailer accidentally-on-purpose put it out, the worst that'll happen is a slap on the wrist. Most of the offenders of street date violations are Best Buy, Walmart, big names that the studios NEED to get their merchandise out.

If Apple was really concerned about this, they could have released iTunes now, or started it with a title coming out AFTER the release. It's a fact of retailing.

balamw
Jan 8, 2008, 02:34 PM
Do think so.

If you look at tuaw.com they have a shot of the box and terms. It's been updated so it only doesn't work on Zune and PSP.

What I'm saying is that's NOT the procedure.

Don't point at the PlaysForSure version of the site for how it will work with iTunes 7.6 (or higher).

(Not currently compatible with Apple’s video iPod, Sony PSP, or Microsoft Zune).

B

CWallace
Jan 8, 2008, 02:37 PM
I've read that Comedy Central is pondering bringing Futurama back based on it's Family Guy-esque cult following that developed on Cartoon Network.

Comedy Central did secure the rights to broadcast it, but it appears Cartoon Network's Adult Swim also still has broadcast rights (considering it is their strongest show, I expect they'd be loathe to give it up, totally).

And we do have the new direct-to-DVD movies, of which Bender's Big Score is the first.

balamw
Jan 8, 2008, 02:39 PM
Comedy Central did secure the rights to broadcast it, but it appears Cartoon Network's Adult Swim also still has broadcast rights (considering it is their strongest show, I expect they'd be loathe to give it up, totally).

And we do have the new direct-to-DVD movies, of which Bender's Big Score is the first.

They did the whole end-of-year marathon just before they lost their rights. [
http://www.tvsquad.com/2007/12/26/adult-swim-airs-every-futurama-episode-starting-tonight/

EDIT: It no longer shows on their website: http://www.adultswim.com/shows/index.html

B

Compile 'em all
Jan 8, 2008, 02:40 PM
I totally agree with every point you made. I caught an episode of "Family Guy" for the very first time about two weeks ago. The "humour" was vulgar and mean spirited; I didn't get the point of it.

Family Guy is awesome. oh, and I feel sorry for you.

Claytoniss
Jan 8, 2008, 02:40 PM
Im hoping with all of this AppleTV gets a software update - and a hardware update with a Blueray player - Id be all over a new AppleTV if that were the case:)

I am sure a lot of people would be! I would for sure!

Sky Blue
Jan 8, 2008, 02:43 PM
What I'm saying is that's NOT the procedure.

Don't point at the PlaysForSure version of the site for how it will work with iTunes 7.6 (or higher).

It's the same site. They just haven't updated the T&C because Apple haven't announced it yet. There is no "PlaysForSure version of the site".

StephenB.
Jan 8, 2008, 02:44 PM
I'll keep ripping the stuff straight from DVD because it'll be unencumbered by DRM and likely of higher quality AND it's legal for me to do so. Unless Fox./Apple can offer me something I CANT get by ripping a DVD with my standard toolset (VLC et al) I see absolutely no reason that this is anything but a lower class offering.

Actually, I don't think it is legal for you to do so. According to the DMCA, any attempt to "circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title," is prohibited. In order to rip a DVD, encryption has to be broken.

kimble3
Jan 8, 2008, 02:45 PM
Just noticed something interesting. I just fired up iTunes and noticed on the main page of the iTunes store they have a page for HD Podcasts. I tried subscribing to the MacBreak HD podcast and when it tried to sync with my Apple TV it told me that the podcast wasn't copied to my Apple TV "...because it cannot be played on this Apple TV"

The podcast consist of 1920x1080 H.264 video. Another hint of things to come??

pagansoul
Jan 8, 2008, 02:47 PM
I got a mini copy with my Resident Evil 3 DVD from Walmart. I'll try to see if I can use my MacPro via Parallels to XP to my Creative Zen Vision W. This will be the first time I've used it in months.

collinsra
Jan 8, 2008, 02:50 PM
hells yeah blue harvest!! I can't wait!

NorCalLights
Jan 8, 2008, 03:01 PM
FAKE pic!!! The moray girder manifold lines are opposite of the polarity of earth during the vernal equinox according to the standard moray association and photoshop shows different spectral results that contradict any possible truth LOLOL, jk :)

It's Moire... or actually, Moiré.

Still, funny comment :)

eRondeau
Jan 8, 2008, 03:11 PM
I mean seriously, between the previous rumors of this, the multiple sources, and his pics, what more proof do you need? Does he need to drive to your house with the disc? And if that is the case, why are you at a rumor site at all? Isn't the fun in the speculation?

Yes this is a rumors site, and until they're proven as fact -- all rumors should be taken with a healthy dose of skepticism. I argued four points that, taken together, makes me skeptical of the OP. You may agree or disagree, but all four of my points are accurate and correct, and yes I had fun thinking about them. (Although upon further reflection, I'm now inclined to believe that this was posted by a MR veteran who wants to conceal his identity, in order to make it impossible to determine how he came to get hold of this video a week before its street date. He probably works for a DVD distributor and would get fired if word of this leaked out...)

flottenheimer
Jan 8, 2008, 03:14 PM
Sony has just announced something similar. Just with Blu-Ray and PSP being involved instead.

CES 2008: Blu-ray movies to PSP
Portable version embedded on BR discs may be rolled out this year.

At the company's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Sony demonstrated Blu-ray movie discs embedded with a lower-resolution version of the film for portable devices. Fox and Warner Bros. released discs with a similar feature last year, albeit in standard definition.

Using a PlayStation 3 and a PSP, Sony showed how a Blu-ray movie disc could be inserted into the former and copied to a memory stick for the latter.

"There was always the promise of greater inactivity," David Bishop, president of Sony Pictures Home Entertainment told PC World.
While admitting that it was not currently part of the company's current release schedule, Bishop said that it was something Sony Pictures would probably roll out this year.

Because the lower-resolution version is permanently stored on the purchased Blu-ray disc, the portable version would not need to be downloaded online for a separate fee and there would be no expiration date. Although it was not specifically demonstrated, it is possible that the portable version could also be played on an iPod or a Zune. If other movie studios follow suit, such a move could help increase Blu-ray disc sales - but will also be likely to eliminate the UMD as a storage media for films.

In other HD format news, shares in Toshiba fell to their lowest level since last March on the news that Warner Bros. decided to drop support of its HD DVD format in favour of Blu-ray.

Source: GI (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=31925)

0racle
Jan 8, 2008, 03:16 PM

Futurama is back in 4 feature length direct to DVD releases that will be broken up to create a season of 16 episodes.

http://www.amazon.com/Futurama-Benders-Score-John-DiMaggio/dp/B000UZDO62/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1199826859&sr=8-1

Eduardo1971
Jan 8, 2008, 03:16 PM
Family Guy is awesome. oh, and I feel sorry for you.

Jeez. Now go back to sitting in front of the television.

What a little kid.:rolleyes:

freeny
Jan 8, 2008, 03:33 PM
Actually, I don't think it is legal for you to do so. According to the DMCA, any attempt to "circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title," is prohibited. In order to rip a DVD, encryption has to be broken.

You are also allowed to make a backup copy of digital media for your own use.

and there lies the contradictory laws.

Simply put, no one is going to sue you for making a personal copy of a legally purchased video as long as you dont distribute it.

zephead
Jan 8, 2008, 03:34 PM
Well, looks like the OP is one of the incredibly rare cases of being a newbie who actually knows something about an unreleased product! That doesn't happen too often. Kudos to mr echo! :)

Mr Skills
No. It will only be in retail packaging. Not rental packaging. Furthermore it will be a code valid only once.

I've just been looking at the terms and conditions on the Fox site (I'm assuming they will be similar with the iTunes version) and they look pretty draconian.

You are allowed to put it on one PC only, and support will only re-issue the serial number in the even of technical trouble. So it seems that if I get a new computer in 3 years' time - tough luck, the movie won't work any more.

That, to use the American idiom, sucks.

sishaw

Dude. These are cartoons. Lighten up.

Tovv
Jan 8, 2008, 03:46 PM
Any info on the type and size of the file? :confused: Mr Echo...

NightStorm
Jan 8, 2008, 03:48 PM
Any info on the type and size of the file? :confused: Mr Echo...
I don't think he has been able to retrieve the file, due in part to the fact that iTunes 7.6 hasn't been released. Hopefully the specs are better than what is currently listed on the FOX Digital Copy website (says device must be able to playback a 800kbps video file).

pbelmore
Jan 8, 2008, 03:55 PM
Just noticed something interesting. I just fired up iTunes and noticed on the main page of the iTunes store they have a page for HD Podcasts. I tried subscribing to the MacBreak HD podcast and when it tried to sync with my Apple TV it told me that the podcast wasn't copied to my Apple TV "...because it cannot be played on this Apple TV"

The podcast consist of 1920x1080 H.264 video. Another hint of things to come??

Nope, PixelCorp (the producers of MacBreak) have always had a 1080p version. They also have a 720p version specially made for the AppleTV, which is what you want.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=251078868&s=143441

That HD podcast page has been around since the AppleTV first came out (if not longer).

Brianstorm91
Jan 8, 2008, 03:56 PM
Only in the US :o Ugh. Every time..
Jobs must be annoyed quite that this has gotten out.

Dimwhit
Jan 8, 2008, 03:59 PM
I don't think he has been able to retrieve the file, due in part to the fact that iTunes 7.6 hasn't been released. Hopefully the specs are better than what is currently listed on the FOX Digital Copy website (says device must be able to playback a 800kbps video file).

I thought he had the file, he just couldn't open it. Maybe I misunderstood.

miketcool
Jan 8, 2008, 04:11 PM
Relating back to the topic at hand, digital iTunes versions of movies is a great idea, as long as it shows up on my :apple:TV.

Off Topic: Cartman explains EXACTLY why Family Guy is awful in episode 142 of South Park. Please refrain from going on and on about who is better until you watch that episode and it's sequel; Cartoon Wars Part 1 and Cartoon Wars Part 2. Seriously, when are Matt and Trey running for joint Presidents of Earth?

milo
Jan 8, 2008, 04:11 PM
That's funny, your derogatory insinuations and negative connotations portray all the elements of Family Guy that my friends and I enjoy the most. The "fantasy interludes" lacking "internal logic" are brilliant departures from traditional linear storytelling.

The "cruel bent" of the writers is what keeps the show fresh and allows them to continue to push the limit of what is "acceptable" or "appropriate" for Broadcast Television. This kind of "boundary pushing" allows the writers use their creativity in ways that works circles around other television comedy writers.

Hmm. Both of those have been around for years. Frankly, I'm getting tired of cartoon characters talking foul for shock value, it's cliché at this point.

Same goes for the random, off topic gags. While they can be funny at times, cutting to a joke that isn't tied to the plot at all usually comes off as lazy writing.

The read-only file likely won't work until it's copied to the hard drive and authorized with a serial number or password. Then iTunes contacts the iTunes server and stores that number along with your iTunes account, so nobody else can authorize with that number. Seems pretty simple, actually.

I've just been looking at the terms and conditions on the Fox site (I'm assuming they will be similar with the iTunes version) and they look pretty draconian.

That's a big assumption. Personally, I doubt Jobs would agree to a lousy DRM system. Seems much more likely that fox is just going with fairplay and the user will end up with a file that behaves similar to other itunes store videos.

ATG
Jan 8, 2008, 04:13 PM
People would have accused him of faking it. Don't see many apologies for not believing the guy either, people are so quick to laugh at things they hear but seem to go all quiet when faced with the facts!
You do know that computers can display images? What's the difference between posting a screenshot and taking a picture of the screenshot when it's in preview? None. If anything, a photo makes it less credible since it's harder to see the details and to determine if it's fake.

In fact, it still could be a fake.

TransientWolf
Jan 8, 2008, 04:14 PM
deleted....missed 4 pages of posts which made irrelevent

ezekielrage_99
Jan 8, 2008, 04:36 PM
That is so freakin' sweet :cool:

shamino
Jan 8, 2008, 04:38 PM
Why would you be disappointed if a new version of iTunes is a "7.6" release and not "8.0"?
Well, it's 0.4 larger. That seems pretty obvious to me.
The built-in screen-capture hotkey doesn't work. Third party screen-capture apps (like Snapz ProX (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/)) work just fine.
Unless you capture the analog output from a legal DVD player. A device like the Neuros OSD (http://www.neurostechnology.com/) is perfectly legal. It may not look as good as a crack-the-encryption-and-recompress rip, but may be just fine when played on a small screen like an iPod.
You are also allowed to make a backup copy of digital media for your own use.

and there lies the contradictory laws.

Simply put, no one is going to sue you for making a personal copy of a legally purchased video as long as you dont distribute it.
No contradiction. You can read the entire (encrypted) content, including the part of the disc containing the (encrypted) title- and disc-keys. You can write all of this data (still encrypted) to a backup device without violating any law. The fact that consumer disc burners have firmware preventing you from burning discs with the CSS keys is irrelevant. You could buy a (very expensive) disc-mastering drive and use it to burn the copy (again, without decrypting anything.)

The law says you have the right to make a backup copy, as long as you don't use unlicensed software to decrypt the contents. Nothing in the law says that the process has to be cheap or easy.

As for prosecution, sure, nobody will sue you. Especially if you keep quiet about it. But that doesn't make it legal.

angelwatt
Jan 8, 2008, 04:39 PM
Nice.

Yeah, that small print irked me too. But like another post stated, there's still handbrake.

Telp
Jan 8, 2008, 05:13 PM

Yep, this has been known for quite awhile now (several years actually, i remember reading about futurama coming back in early 06 i believe.) Once Cartoon Network lost the right (the clock strike of '08) Comedy Central gets the new episodes and the old ones.

balamw
Jan 8, 2008, 05:18 PM
The read-only file likely won't work until it's copied to the hard drive and authorized with a serial number or password. Then iTunes contacts the iTunes server and stores that number along with your iTunes account, so nobody else can authorize with that number. Seems pretty simple, actually.

That's a big assumption. Personally, I doubt Jobs would agree to a lousy DRM system. Seems much more likely that fox is just going with fairplay and the user will end up with a file that behaves similar to other itunes store videos.

At least someone gets what I've been trying to say. Don't judge this new development based on what is already on the site. We know that can't be right since iPods are explicitly excluded from the current site.

It's probably just an extension of the way FairPlay already works (worked). The way iTS worked some time ago was that the music files were sent out without DRM (so that anyone downloading a file would download exactly the same file. The DRM and personalization were applied in the iTunes client. This was exploited by DVD Jon to buy songs from iTS, but skip the DRM bit.

I believe now the files are encrypted/DRMed with a common key, which could be extended to this kind of delivery. i.e. the file on the phsyical medium is encrypted, but not attached to a particular iTunes account until it is "redeemded".

What'll be interesting will be if Apple and Fox find a way to use this as a sales mechanism too. Borrow someone else's DVD and don't have the redemption code? No problem, we'll sell you a new one!

B

hayesk
Jan 8, 2008, 05:28 PM
Cool :) (in regards the iTunes update), but sad that you actually spent money on that piece of misery known as "family Guy." :(

Feel free to post your entertainment preferences so we can judge you too.

Loge
Jan 8, 2008, 05:28 PM

The same encryption has to be "broken" in order to view the DVD in DVD player. What is the distinction from the end-users viewpoint?

hayesk
Jan 8, 2008, 05:33 PM

That's nice. Logically speaking, that only says something about AFV fans and nothing about FG fans.

hayesk
Jan 8, 2008, 05:39 PM
The same encryption has to be "broken" in order to view the DVD in DVD player. What is the distinction from the end-users viewpoint?

The DVD player is authorized to decode the encryption. You are not. Though, I agree, the law does violate fair use.

Loge
Jan 8, 2008, 05:43 PM

So use VLC.

gkarris
Jan 8, 2008, 05:54 PM
It's all a grey area.

Fare Use is to make a BACKUP of it - means to copy the DVD to another DVD-R keeping the MPEG-2 format.

When you encode it to another format - that becomes debatable.

At least with the Fox DVD's, they make it legal by providing their own DRM'ed copy for use on other video players.

Nice job Fox, please include them also on the Blu-ray discs (oh, access via a PS3, transfer to your Mac via USB drive? Or would we have to get a Blu-ray drive for Mac to access it?)

BobVB
Jan 8, 2008, 05:54 PM
I wonder if the Blu-Ray copies will have the Apple versions also? Would be a smart move on their part - I would be far less motivated to find some way to digitize my blu-ray HD movies if I had aa on-disk-copy of even lowly iPod/iPhone quality.

And I do so hope we see AC-3 or some other true DD5.1 sound track option or better. On a different thread someone said that Dolby Pro Logic II was good enough - huh? Just did a test run of one such rip for my PS3 (considering ripping my 800 or so DVDs to a media server) against the DVD - the loss of the true center speaker is pronounced and massively inferior to even my tin ear (the picture actually looked better - bet it was the PS3's upscaling). Now doing a H.264/AC-3 rip which rumor says will play on the PS3 but not the AppleTV.

Please Apple make DD5.1 or something similar the standard next Tuesday - that would make your downloadable movies, Fox's on disk copies and AppleTV far more attractive.

gkarris
Jan 8, 2008, 05:58 PM
I wonder if the Blu-Ray copies will have the Apple versions also? Would be a smart move on their part - I would be far less motivated to find some way to digitize my blu-ray HD movies if I had aa on-disk-copy of even lowly iPod/iPhone quality.

If they put it on Blu-ray, it BETTER have an Apple compatible copy. Why would anyone play the smaller file on a PS3 when they can just slip the Blu-ray disc in?

Unless Sony plans on putting a PSP version of the file on the Blu-ray disc to play only on PSP's and Walkmans, but not any Apple devices...

SeaFox
Jan 8, 2008, 05:59 PM
Because 8 is .4 better. ;)

m4rc
Jan 8, 2008, 06:00 PM
You do know that computers can display images? What's the difference between posting a screenshot and taking a picture of the screenshot when it's in preview? None. If anything, a photo makes it less credible since it's harder to see the details and to determine if it's fake.

In fact, it still could be a fake.

Really, if you are going to fake something you need to make it worthwhile, in the scheme of things this is a small story and a hell of a lot of hassle to go to to get a thread on the front page of a forum.

bluedevil14
Jan 8, 2008, 06:01 PM
I think this is a good deal for both sides. The movie companies can keep selling their DVDs, and iPod and iTunes users can still get their content. It would be more convenient downloading from iTunes though.

Kar98
Jan 8, 2008, 06:05 PM

Since when can you take a screenshot when the Apple DVD player app is running?

GRuizMD
Jan 8, 2008, 06:07 PM
The "message" of Family Guy (such as it is), is that we are all shallow, cruel and selfish people and it's humour comes from a very uncool, relishing of that fact.

This is a good description of today's society...

milo
Jan 8, 2008, 06:28 PM
If they put it on Blu-ray, it BETTER have an Apple compatible copy. Why would anyone play the smaller file on a PS3 when they can just slip the Blu-ray disc in?

Unless Sony plans on putting a PSP version of the file on the Blu-ray disc to play only on PSP's and Walkmans, but not any Apple devices...

The whole point of this story is that the disk has a version that requires iTunes. You really think they'd require iTunes for a version that only ran on PCs and PSP? Of course this will be apple compatible, with iTunes they can ship a file that plays on mac, pc, and iPod.

BobVB
Jan 8, 2008, 06:55 PM
The whole point of this story is that the disk has a version that requires iTunes. You really think they'd require iTunes for a version that only ran on PCs and PSP? Of course this will be apple compatible, with iTunes they can ship a file that plays on mac, pc, and iPod.

Yeah but my question was about blu-ray, not DVDs. We don't know if the iPod/iPhone version will be included on the blu-ray disc equivalents. The recent Harry Potter DVD that offered the free download of a .wmv version of the movie ISN'T on the blu-ray edition. I'm not assuming there will be with the Fox offer either until we see it.

Peace
Jan 8, 2008, 06:55 PM

DVD player doesn't have to be in full screen mode.;)

jholzner
Jan 8, 2008, 07:04 PM
DVD player doesn't have to be in full screen mode.;)

Umm..okay. Well, pop in a DVD and try taking a screenshot while DVD player is running...even NOT in full screen mode. It will not let you and will tell you that you cannot take a screenshot while DVD player is running.

cyberfunk
Jan 8, 2008, 07:11 PM

Ah, and you assume I live where the DCMA matters. Even if it did... on a practical note, I still CAN easily enough.

P.S. I thought DeCSS was grandfathered in and/or has been tested in court under fair use doctrine?

Digitalclips
Jan 8, 2008, 07:18 PM
Umm..okay. Well, pop in a DVD and try taking a screenshot while DVD player is running...even NOT in full screen mode. It will not let you and will tell you that you cannot take a screenshot while DVD player is running.

Easy, you are not a newbie are you ;)

http://digitalclips.com/screenshots/dvd.jpg

SthrnCmfrtr
Jan 8, 2008, 07:35 PM
Easy, you are not a newbie are you ;)

http://digitalclips.com/screenshots/dvd.jpg

SHH! You can't just run around sharing these secrets, you know! Next thing you know, we'll have oodles of newbies running around typing ctrl+opt+cmd+8 and freaking out their parents! Or using shift+F12 to convince their parents that their MB is too old and slow to handle Dashboard and they need to buy a new Mac Pro! Or, worse yet, finding the cmd+w easter egg!

Digitalclips
Jan 8, 2008, 07:38 PM
SHH! You can't just run around sharing these secrets, you know! Next thing you know, we'll have oodles of newbies running around typing ctrl+opt+cmd+8 and freaking out their parents! Or using shift+F12 to convince their parents that their MB is too old and slow to handle Dashboard and they need to buy a new Mac Pro! Or, worse yet, finding the cmd+w easter egg!

Noooo I didn't do that, not enough fingers ;) I just used Screen Sharing from another Mac lol

Eric Lewis
Jan 8, 2008, 07:40 PM

its fake

nice lies

winterspan
Jan 8, 2008, 07:47 PM
Cool :) (in regards the iTunes update), but sad that you actually spent money on that piece of misery known as "family Guy." :(

Why does everybody have to comment on all the irrelevant bits of a post. go somewhere else troll....

zedsdead
Jan 8, 2008, 08:42 PM

And I do so hope we see AC-3 or some other true DD5.1 sound track option or better. On a different thread someone said that Dolby Pro Logic II was good enough - huh? Just did a test run of one such rip for my PS3 (considering ripping my 800 or so DVDs to a media server) against the DVD - the loss of the true center speaker is pronounced and massively inferior to even my tin ear (the picture actually looked better - bet it was the PS3's upscaling). Now doing a H.264/AC-3 rip which rumor says will play on the PS3 but not the AppleTV.

Please Apple make DD5.1 or something similar the standard next Tuesday - that would make your downloadable movies, Fox's on disk copies and AppleTV far more attractive.

I said that because it a true. The center speaker Is the same as 5.1. The .1 is the subwoofer. That is the difference, and most sound systems pass along a bass channel anyway. If it sounds off then make sure your receiver is set to decode Dolby prologic II so the 5 channel get decoded correctly.

I agree with you though that I want true 5.1 support. I just am more interested in HD picture quality than the sound should I have to choose. I would take Apple TV 720p quality files with Dolby Pro Logic II any day.

bommai
Jan 8, 2008, 09:04 PM
I said that because it a true. The center speaker Is the same as 5.1. The .1 is the subwoofer. That is the difference, and most sound systems pass along a bass channel anyway. If it sounds off then make sure your receiver is set to decode Dolby prologic II so the 5 channel get decoded correctly.

I agree with you though that I want true 5.1 support. I just am more interested in HD picture quality than the sound should I have to choose. I would take Apple TV 720p quality files with Dolby Pro Logic II any day.

Dolby Pro Logic is meant for two channel analog content or two channel PCM content with something embedded in it. It is not discrete. Bluray is leaving DD and DTS behind and going with PCM/Dolby True HD/DTS-HD-MA. I am surprised Apple cannot handle a simple DD 5.1 when even stupid cable companies can. My local news is in DD 5.1 (KMBC - Kansas City).

zedsdead
Jan 8, 2008, 09:17 PM
Dolby Pro Logic is meant for two channel analog content or two channel PCM content with something embedded in it. It is not discrete. Bluray is leaving DD and DTS behind and going with PCM/Dolby True HD/DTS-HD-MA. I am surprised Apple cannot handle a simple DD 5.1 when even stupid cable companies can. My local news is in DD 5.1 (KMBC - Kansas City).

I agree that it is not discrete, nor is it on par with the HD Audio Codecs...however, it is 5-Channel Surround if processed properly (Dolby Prologic II, Prologic I is only 4 which is the current choice on the Apple Store). The audio chip on the Apple TV is more than capable of handling up to 7.1 channels, it is about quicktime supporting the proper audio or the unit being able to process AAC 5.1 to Dolby Digital Surround on the fly since most receivers cannot handle AAC 5.1.

SthrnCmfrtr
Jan 8, 2008, 09:38 PM

Bleah, who needs TrueHD or DTS Mastur besides theaters? AC-3 and DTS are fine for 99.999999% of everyone... which I guess is why support for the wank codecs are optional for Blu-Ray players.

I agree about Apple's lack of support for Surround, though. I was fairly irritated that I had to buy a new sound system to get it from the Apple TV and Mac mini...

BobVB
Jan 9, 2008, 12:24 AM

No, Dolby Pro Logic II is merely 2 channels with muxed versions of the center and rear channels. While you can get by with the decoded rear channels, the simulated center channel is not anywhere near the quality of the original. And my Harmon Kardon is decoding it to 5 channels, just isn't the quality of original heard through the same receiver switching between the DVD and the QT movie.

And I guess we don't agree on HD either - 720 is baby HD and of not too much interest to me. Lets just get the minimal industry standard of 5.1 (shoot most TV shows are 5.1 now) before we worry about them stretching themselves beyond the minimum of DVD standards they haven't yet reached.

NightStorm
Jan 9, 2008, 12:49 AM
It might not be the highest HD resolution out there, but using 720p would make downloads much less painful than trying to download a 1080p version. It'd still be pretty darn slow for a lot of the United States, since our broadband speeds are pretty bad, especially outside of major metropolitan areas.

I do agree with you though ; let's get 480p, let the AppleTV (or other device) upconvert, and get discrete 5.1 sound before we go expecting more. The problem is AC3 isn't part of the MP4 standard, no matter how much we want it to be. We'll need something to convert AAC 5.1 to AC3 5.1 on-the-fly, or receivers that can decode AAC natively.

Krevnik
Jan 9, 2008, 03:55 AM

Snapz Pro. ;)

Krevnik
Jan 9, 2008, 03:59 AM
Ah, and you assume I live where the DCMA matters. Even if it did... on a practical note, I still CAN easily enough.

P.S. I thought DeCSS was grandfathered in and/or has been tested in court under fair use doctrine?

The DMCA is a tricky beast, and hasn't really been tested in court. Nobody seems to have the balls to challenge it yet, but everyone wants to use it as a bludgeon in order to get someone to settle out of court.

However, the DMCA has a couple clauses stating that it does not override fair use (meaning that in certain situations, it is indeed legal to circumvent the DRM)... but again, never tested in court to see exactly how far it goes.

sunfast
Jan 9, 2008, 06:01 AM
Only just got round to reading this. It's very interesting and thanks for sharing mr echo

boss1
Jan 9, 2008, 06:29 AM
I seriously believe there are people here who would still be chanting, "fake, it's not true!", even after it's announced at the keynote. Do you need to hold it in your hands to believe it? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I think apple should have pushed harder for branding on this deal. Seeing as it seems they conceded pricing so much they could have at least asked Fox & others to stamp the front of every DVD box with the "made of ipod" logo ;)

A small logo on the front of ever DVD box would be worth billions to apple in the long run.

diamond.g
Jan 9, 2008, 06:44 AM
Yeah but my question was about blu-ray, not DVDs. We don't know if the iPod/iPhone version will be included on the blu-ray disc equivalents. The recent Harry Potter DVD that offered the free download of a .wmv version of the movie ISN'T on the blu-ray edition. I'm not assuming there will be with the Fox offer either until we see it.

Assuming we get BD playback support, then there would be no reason to not also include the iTunes version on disc.

I agree that it is not discrete, nor is it on par with the HD Audio Codecs...however, it is 5-Channel Surround if processed properly (Dolby Prologic II, Prologic I is only 4 which is the current choice on the Apple Store). The audio chip on the Apple TV is more than capable of handling up to 7.1 channels, it is about quicktime supporting the proper audio or the unit being able to process AAC 5.1 to Dolby Digital Surround on the fly since most receivers cannot handle AAC 5.1.

Dolby Prologic IIx can create 6 or 7.1 sound. Still not discreet though. So channel separation wont be as precise.

Evangelion
Jan 9, 2008, 08:20 AM

Why does his taste in tv-shows concern you in any shape or form?

gotohamish
Jan 9, 2008, 09:38 AM

Finally! Thank you.

tveric
Jan 9, 2008, 10:41 PM

Because he's one of those asshats that believes his taste in music, movies and tv is absolutely right and everyone should agree with him.

The Riz
Jan 12, 2008, 06:29 PM

I think you are being a little harsh in your assessement of the Family Guy. Yes Family Guy's humor is a little dark, but they are not the first and are not the most sucessful show to be based around dark humor.

Seinfeld for example was built on a premise that there would be no hugging and no learning. No one in that show would be redeemable by your standards. Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David wanted to be sure that no one in the show had anything redeemable about themselves.

Seinfeld is argueably the greatest sitcom in American television history. Sitcoms and cartoons are a non-reality they are a way to step out of our worlds and be entertained it gives us a chance to laugh at premises that are not real. The Family Guy entertains and makes light of society in general and is fun.

Your premise that Family Guy fans would laugh at a kid getting hurt in a real situation is judgemental and rude. Just because you do not like it doesn't make you the authority on what is exceptable and unexceptable tv.

Skitals
Jan 12, 2008, 06:49 PM
Hmm, I definitely saw Blue Harvest in a Redbox last night (rented Benders Big Score). Maybe I'll have to go get it and see what happens when I pop it in my computer.

bobcb
Jan 12, 2008, 11:51 PM
Relating back to the topic at hand, digital iTunes versions of movies is a great idea, as long as it shows up on my :apple:TV.

Off Topic: Cartman explains EXACTLY why Family Guy is awful in episode 142 of South Park. Please refrain from going on and on about who is better until you watch that episode and it's sequel; Cartoon Wars Part 1 and Cartoon Wars Part 2. Seriously, when are Matt and Trey running for joint Presidents of Earth?

Seriously, South Park stopped being funny 3 seasons ago.

Roadstar
Jan 13, 2008, 04:45 AM
Well, it's 0.4 larger. That seems pretty obvious to me.
The built-in screen-capture hotkey doesn't work. Third party screen-capture apps (like Snapz ProX (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/)) work just fine.

If you don't feel like installing a separate app or buying a license for it, you can use a command line workaround (http://highschoolblows.blogspot.com/2005/11/take-screenshot-of-dvd-player-in-os-x.html) (or wrap it inside an AppleScript for convenient access from the Scripts menu).

And this is not to say that Snapz Pro X weren't good. In fact, I'm quite frequently refreshing the MacHeist page to see if Snapz Pro X is close to being unlocked :)

rfbandit
Jan 15, 2008, 04:24 AM
Here's what the transfer to iTunes window looks like for Windows:

NightStorm
Jan 15, 2008, 12:12 PM
For those not following, this was just confirmed on-stage.

happylittlemac
Jan 15, 2008, 02:30 PM
I was hoping for better features from iTunes at MW08 but I guess it was not to be this time.

Domofloge
Jan 15, 2008, 03:53 PM

Ok. No offense but you totally over analyzed the two TV shows. haha. If you find Family Guy "cruel, nasty, negative" then dont watch it! :D

Roy Hobbs
Jan 15, 2008, 04:07 PM
Has anyone actually gotten this to work.
*Updated to 7.6
*Put in Family Guy Blue Harvest DVD
*Double Clicked icon as instructed
*Then I get an iTunes error (see screenshot)

Any one have any ideas??

Arkanok
Jan 15, 2008, 05:04 PM
Has anyone actually gotten this to work.
*Updated to 7.6
*Put in Family Guy Blue Harvest DVD
*Double Clicked icon as instructed
*Then I get an iTunes error (see screenshot)

Any one have any ideas??

I got the same error; Don't have a clue what the problem is.

NightStorm
Jan 15, 2008, 05:31 PM
Same here, they are likely getting slammed with all the updates and this.

ZMRoach
Jan 15, 2008, 06:13 PM
yeah i've been having the same problem. hopefully it'll be solved soon.

dillacom
Jan 15, 2008, 06:44 PM
I am having the same problem

Roy Hobbs
Jan 15, 2008, 07:33 PM
well I'm glad it appears to be an issue on Apple's end and not something my Mac and/or DVD

NightStorm
Jan 15, 2008, 08:29 PM
I was able to get it to work; file is 640x480 and ~1400kbps. So far it looks great.

Roy Hobbs
Jan 15, 2008, 08:52 PM
I was able to get it to work; file is 640x480 and ~1400kbps. So far it looks great.

It appears to be working now!!

skrutzen
Jan 15, 2008, 08:53 PM
I just downloaded it. I had to wait a few hours but it finally worked. They were probably overwhelmed with people trying to download it.

As a side note, I went to Target and CC today and both were sold out of the special edition. I eventually got it at Best Buy.

Spider-Gamer
Jan 15, 2008, 09:18 PM
Hiya I am new to this fourm! I tried downloading the Family Guy "Blue Harvest" Digital Download, but after it appears to be done downloading I get an error message saying:

"There was a problem downloading "Blue Harvest / Family Guy". An unknown error occured (-50).

Does anyone know what is the problem and/or how to fix this situation? Thank you all in advance.

dillacom
Jan 15, 2008, 10:44 PM
got mine also!

cuestakid
Jan 15, 2008, 11:14 PM
I was wondering if someone could clarify something for me-I understand that the transfer will only go to one library-but what if i have a mac desktop and a windows laptop-can the movie be watched on both or only one-and are we positive that these will work on ALL video ipods(5G 5.5G 6G, ect)?