PDA

View Full Version : My dying G5

PupnTaco
Jan 7, 2008, 04:16 PM
I don't really have a point to this thread, I just feel like bitching.

It seems my 3-year old Power Mac G5 is dying. Things were jacked up after I installed Leopard as a clean install, then migrated user data for three accounts on the machine. Permissions were a nightmare but eventually I got them all working.

.mac syncing and iPhone syncing are 50/50 - for .mac, data syncs to the remote server, but not between other Macs on my local network. The iPhone will sync music & video, but not contacts or calendars.

A couple weeks ago, FireWire died across the board. 400 & 800 ports, front & back. No more iSight, no more iPod syncing (mine's an older FireWire iPod), no more external 1TB drive, no more video-camera importing.

Now this morning, it starts crashing randomly and on restart, stalls out at the blue screen. Can't boot from the Leopard install DVD, either. The only way around this is to open the case and reset the PMU.

This is my one & only machine for my business (I'm self-employed) and there's no way I can buy a new Mac right now.

My temporary plan is to migrate all my data across the network onto my MacBook (which now has the external 1TB drive connected via FireWire) and work from that until I can buy a new Mac, hopefully by the end of the year.

Like I said, no point, just bitching.

/end bitch

Tallest Skil
Jan 7, 2008, 04:24 PM
Um... All that I can say is... get out. If you'd like to complain or ask questions about how to fix your machine, then do so politely. If you "just feel like doing... that", you should leave. I didn't read your post past your modifier there, and many others will disregard it as well. A forum is for intelligent conversations and expression of opinions, not worthless banter. Forgive me, but I'd like to protect the sanctity of my Mac Pro forum.

Dimwhit
Jan 7, 2008, 04:31 PM
At least you got Leopard installed on your G5. I've got a G5/1.8 here at work and I'm trying to get Leopard on it. For whatever reason, it won't read the DVD (reads other disks fine, and other computers read the disk fine), it won't let me boot it to an Intel machine and install it, I don't have another PowerPC machine to try that with...I'm stumped.

So there's that.

im_to_hyper
Jan 7, 2008, 04:43 PM
Um... All that I can say is... get out. If you'd like to complain or ask questions about how to fix your machine, then do so politely. If you "just feel like doing... that", you should leave. I didn't read your post past your modifier there, and many others will disregard it as well. A forum is for intelligent conversations and expression of opinions, not worthless banter. Forgive me, but I'd like to protect the sanctity of my Mac Pro forum.

Hey, these sort of things happen all the time. Its just a Mac user who relies on his Mac for day-to-day important work and its falling apart on the person. Read before you post.

PupnTaco
Jan 7, 2008, 04:59 PM
Um... All that I can say is... get out.
I'd like to protect the sanctity of my Mac Pro forum.

Feel free to report my post to the moderators. :)

Anyway, has anyone else run into this severe of a problem with their PowerMac G5? And is three years really all we can expect out of a professional computer these days?

hardhatmac
Jan 7, 2008, 05:03 PM
Feel free to report my post to the moderators. :)

Anyway, has anyone else run into this severe of a problem with their PowerMac G5? And is three years really all we can expect out of a professional computer these days?

I have had severe problems with Leopard + G5

I downgraded to Tiger and everything works like a dream now.....

get rid of Leopard and this should be better... :)

edit:http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=390811&highlight=so+long+sweet+leopard

Belly-laughs
Jan 7, 2008, 05:26 PM
No, my dual 1.8 is still going strong. I have never encountered any hardware issues with it, except for the fans stretching it out at one occasion.

Your Mac may be dying but there are a few things Iīd try before giving up on it – remember this could very well be a software issue:

Remove RAM sticks, leaving one pair left. Make sure they are properly seated. If you have more pairs, try swapping if issue still persists.

Make sure all cables to DVD drive, HD, etc. are properly seated

Unplug any external devices, except for keyboard/mouse. (I assume you havenīt spilled any liquids into the keyboard, causing unwanted key strokes…)

Reset PRAM.

Donīt give up until you make it start off DVD that came with the computer or Tiger install DVD. Wipe HD after backup (or swap with external disk). Run disk utility from install disc. Re-install Tiger and leave Leopard alone.

illust8r
Jan 7, 2008, 10:25 PM
My G5 is having some troubles too. I'm on a Dual 2.5.
The USB power keeps cutting in and out, randomly as far as I can tell.
I'll be working and the mouse just dies, then starts up again when I plug it into a new port. Firewire is still working fine. I'm not really surprised though, I've been using it constantly since day 1. It's about time for something new.

QCassidy352
Jan 7, 2008, 10:50 PM

Um... no. Your post is the worthless one that should be removed. The OP has every right to be upset, and there's absolutely no harm in his post.

To the OP: sorry to hear about your troubles. That totally sucks. What kind of G5 is it? I know that many of the liquid cooled 2.5s and 2.7s had massive, crippling problems. I hope you can get the necessary work done on your macbook (can you connect it to whatever screen you had the G5 attached to? My macbook works really well with my apple cinema display) until you can replace the G5. :)