Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Can somebody explain to me why exactly this Quadra 950 is currently at $212 with 13 bids as I write this???

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Apple-M...ryZ80075QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The price, being the first thing I saw, led me to read the description looking for some outstanding or highly unique features of this particular system - but alas nothing. It appears to be a regular old Quadra.

I have two of these lying around with much more impressive specs - what am I missing here?

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
People are dumb.

Maybe I should auction my LC.

I haven't participated in eBay auctions for vintage Macs since, well, since my collection exceeded 80 systems. But I never recall such a frenzy over a piece of hardware like this.

Searching for "Quadra" does show a significantly lower number of systems available for auction than I can remember a few years back - there used to be dozens.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I have memories of all my previous Macs but no love lost really. Seems like a trend of clamshell iBook threads going around at the moment. Not that I am that cold hearted, just lazy. Don't want to bother maintaining more than one or two systems.

ClassicMac247

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2007
Brick, NJ
That is a high price for a machine such as the quadra 950. I have 1 quadra 700 and sold another quadra 700 which only sold for 75$ with a 16 inch monitor.:apple:

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Seems like a pretty wimpy system to me... my Quadra 950 is set up as follows:
136 MB of memory
500 MB main drive, 9.1 GB secondary drive
Internal CD-ROM
2 MB of VRAM (originally shipped with 1 MB)
Apple PowerPC 601 upgrade (66 MHz with 1 MB of L2 cache)
Two Radius display cards
Three 21" Radius displays​
Makes me wonder just how much I would get for my system.

:rolleyes:

Though not enough to ever put it up for sale.

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
Nope, just the RAM. I'd intentionally mismatch the sticks to force the crash for fun: it echoed through the office brilliantly.
Suffering from memory loss at the moment... what's that app that lets you play the power-on and crash sounds of arbitrary Macs? Could I use it to experience a lo-fi version of said crash sound?

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
maybe someone wants to run BeOS?
but a old dual or quad clone wold be quicker.

Best reason to buy old pre-G3 machines, right there. I thought about hunting down a PowerMac 9600 for that sole purpose a few years ago, never got around to it though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.