PDA

View Full Version : Apple Announces Penryn Mac Pros and Xserve

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MacRumors
Jan 8, 2008, 07:44 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple today revised the Mac Pro and Xserves with a new architecture and the recently released Penryn Processors. The Mac Pro combines two 45-nm Quad-Core Xeon processors running up to 3.2GHz and up to 4TB of internal storage. The standard 8-core configuration starts at $2799.
"The new Mac Pro is the fastest Mac we've ever made," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "With 3.2 GHz 8-core Xeon processing, a 1600 MHz front side bus and 800 MHz memory, the new Mac Pro uses the fastest Intel Xeon architecture on the market."

The new Mac Pro features the latest Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 series processors based on state-of-the-art 45nm Intel Core microarchitecture running up to 3.2 GHz, each with 12MB of L2 cache per processor. According to Apple, the 1600 MHz front side bus and 800 MHz DDR2 ECC FB-DIMM memory achives a 61 percent increase in memory throughput.

The new Mac Pro comes standard with the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics card with 256MB of video memory.

The standard 8-core Mac Pro, with a suggested retail price of $2,799 (US), includes:

- two 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors with dual-independent 1600 MHz front side buses;
- 2GB of 800 MHz DDR2 ECC fully-buffered DIMM memory, expandable up to 32GB;
- ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory;
- 320GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive running at 7200 rpm;
- 16x SuperDrive(TM) with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW);
- two PCI Express 2.0 slots and two PCI Express slots;
- Bluetooth 2.0+EDR; and
- ships with Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse.

Apple also revised the Xserve today with the same architecture. Xserve standard configuration, with a suggested retail price of $2,999 (US), includes:

- a single 64-bit 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Xeon processor with 12MB of L2 cache and a 1600 Mhz front side bus;
- 2GB of 800 MHz DDR2 ECC FB-DIMM RAM, expandable up to 32GB;
- a single 80GB SATA Apple Drive Module;
- dual Gigabit Ethernet on-board;
- internal graphics;
- two FireWire(R) 800 and three USB 2.0 ports; and
- an unlimited client license for Mac OS X Server version 10.5 Leopard.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/08/apple-announces-penryn-mac-pros-and-xserve/)

edesignuk
Jan 8, 2008, 07:45 AM
Finally eh? Should make a lot of people very happy :)

zedsdead
Jan 8, 2008, 07:46 AM
I don't know a whole lot about the graphic cards, but I get the feeling people are not going to be happy with the ATI 2600 card...

[EDIT] Looks like you can get the 8800 GT card at 512 MB, so that should be fine for most people.

Also, no Blu-Ray...looks like Apple is opting out of the format war still...

FJ218700
excellent, more room in the keynote next week for drastically new products.

scharf10
Yeah a lot of happy people probably. Unexpected though, I must say. And yeah what he said above me ^^^^.

jrlcopy
Jan 8, 2008, 07:47 AM
The new ultra-thin aluminum Apple Keyboard now ships with every Mac Pro and built-in Bluetooth 2.0 makes it easy to reduce cable clutter with the optional Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple Wireless Mouse.

Ugh, I don't like the thin keyboards.

http://www.apple.com/macpro/
Is updated.

AdeFowler
Jan 8, 2008, 07:48 AM
First moan ;) :

No Bluray

Sun Baked

Only for the time it takes them to read the article, then they will likely complain about something else.

jrlcopy
I don't know a whole lot about the graphic cards, but I get the feeling people are not going to be happy with the ATI 2600 card.

We will be happy with the optional NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT with 512MB of video memory, or NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 with 1.5GB of video.

viltsu
About a time!

I´m ordering today!

iNev
What no Blu Ray? Yawn ;)

propropro
They have not updated Macbook Pro now with Penryn... does it mean we will see more than a speed bump in Macworld?

BillyShears
Jan 8, 2008, 07:49 AM
They could be getting these updates out of the way so they have enough time at MacWorld to announce all the other updates. Or it could be because these products were so far out of date they needed to get them out ASAP.

MovieCutter
Jan 8, 2008, 07:50 AM
I told you so

zedsdead
Jan 8, 2008, 07:50 AM
They could be getting these updates out of the way so they have enough time at MacWorld to announce all the other updates. Or it could be because these products were so far out of date they needed to get them out ASAP.

They didn't want to waste time at Macworld with a minor bump...nothing amazing is in the new Mac Pro, they just finally got the specs up to date.

Wayfarer
Jan 8, 2008, 07:51 AM
All ahead of Macworld? AMAZING! Definitely more room for goodies. :D

http://www.apple.com/macpro/

Music_Producer
Woo hoo! Oh god.. forget Blu-Ray.. just get a separate BR drive and install it! Knowing Apple they would probably have made it an ultra-expensive option anyway.

OllyW
They have not updated Macbook Pro now with Penryn... does it mean we will see more than a speed bump in Macworld?

They are saving the important stuff for next week ;)

gphoto
I guess this means bluray is still a few months away.

paetrick
HAhahahahahaahahahahahahaha ATI radeon 2600 XT in the "standard" mac pro setup, IS THIS A JOKE?, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory sells for 120 dollars in my local pc-store....

$2,799 with NO blue ray, and sucky graphics, I guess my hopes for macworld was for nothing, Im leaving apple now ! bye bye !!

What are you really paying for ? 2799 for the processor alone I guess...

fivepoint
Everyone who was waiting for the new MacPros:
Is this everything you wanted? What are you happy about, and what do you think the new MacPros are missing?

Everyone else:
Has Apple ever released stuff like this a week before Macworld? What does this mean for the Keynote? Are they leaving more time for more major important announcements?

Also... and this is just for me... now that you've got your new MacPros, when are the new iMacs coming!?! :)

zedsdead
Jan 8, 2008, 07:53 AM
Is this everything you wanted? What are you happy about, and what do you think the new MacPros are missing?

Everyone else:
Has Apple ever released stuff like this a week before Macworld? What does this mean for the Keynote? Are they leaving more time for more major important announcements?

Also... and this is just for me... now that you've got your new MacPros, when are the new iMacs coming!?! :)

The iMac update is months off...don't get excited. I'm actually surprised there is no new Cinema Displays. I really thought that the 23" would become 24" and they would have built in iSight.

jrlcopy
Jan 8, 2008, 07:54 AM

Everyone else:

I would have liked a next gen 9000 series nvidia card, (ships for pc's in March), but other than that, A facelift would have been nice.
But other than that, I am very happy. Ordering today!l

P.S. very happy about everything being 8-cores, now hopefully this + my developers discount will get me quite far.

NYmacAttack
Jan 8, 2008, 07:54 AM
Nice hope they have better stuff to release at the Keynote! :)

Music_Producer
Jan 8, 2008, 07:55 AM
HAhahahahahaahahahahahahaha ATI radeon 2600 XT in the "standard" mac pro setup, IS THIS A JOKE?, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory sells for 120 dollars in my local pc-store....

$2,799 with NO blue ray, and sucky graphics, I guess my hopes for macworld was for nothing, Im leaving apple now ! bye bye !!

Wait.. how about they put a Celeron in there instead of the usual processors.. and instead stuff in 4 graphics cards so you can rejoice? Sheesh :rolleyes:

diamond.g

um, they offer the 8800gt 512 as BTO...

Padraig

Hopefully; this development would suggest that they wouldn't just announce a speed bump at Macworld for the Macbook pro.

hvfsl
As the lowend option, a ATI HD2600XT is pretty good (considering it is a midrange card). Apple normally go for the lowend cards in the base configuration (e.g. HD2400pro or G8400GS).

Plus these cards should have HDCP and HDMI, along with hardware BluRay movie decoding. I am sure they have something like the G8800GTS in the highend.

Sun Baked
Jan 8, 2008, 07:56 AM
They didn't want to waste time at Macworld with a minor bump...nothing amazing is in the new Mac Pro, they just finally got the specs up to date.

Not a minor bump, looks like the new Intel 5400 server/workstation chipset.

Rychiar
uh but what i wanted in a new mac pro is a NEW mac pro...as in not a speed bump but a complete redesign:mad:

jaded-mandarin
no high definition drives.

is apple just behind the times or still sat on the fence as to which format to take? steve jobs is the major share holder of walt disney, who's products are released on both formats. but surely blu-ray is looking the successor now?

jsw
As well you should.

I'm terribly disappointed that Apple didn't have the gamer in mind when they upgraded their pro tower. Silly Apple. And the graphics card upgrades are pathetic. 1.5GB on a card? Weak.

OllyW

Let the whining commence :D:D:D

Octobot
Jan 8, 2008, 07:57 AM
YAY.. I'm happy the ice age is over!
Feels like New Years all over again ; )

zedsdead
Jan 8, 2008, 07:58 AM
no high definition drives.

is apple just behind the times or still sat on the fence as to which format to take? steve jobs is the major share holder of walt disney, who's products are released on both formats. but surely blu-ray is looking the successor now?

My guess is that Blu-Ray will be announced at NAB in April...with DVD Studio Pro 5.

socamx
Jan 8, 2008, 07:59 AM

Take a chill pill. My God you people will moan over nothing. The Radeon HD2600 XT is a very capable card and more than powerful enough for the target audience of the Mac Pro. It is NOT a gamer's machine after all.

Why should Apple support a HD format when there are two options yet? Makes sense to wait. Also, did it ever cross your mind they may be waiting till the keynote to say which format they will support? Kind of a big announcement after all.

Chill out people and stop moaning over nothing. It's a very nice update. It's moaning like this that gives Apple users a bad name among the masses.

macfan881
well i wonder what will be anounced at macworld now... hopefully its not another keynote on the new iphone 2.0 atleast it will probaly be the ultra portable macbook.

slu
Prepare for the usual video card grips from people that over emphasize the importance of video cards for what they do with a computer.

EDIT: I see that it has already started.

mdriftmeyer
Jan 8, 2008, 08:00 AM
Graphics cards are still unimpressive. They are 12 month old cards.

peejack
Ok I have officially **** my pants! :eek:

diamond.g
As the lowend option, a ATI HD2600XT is pretty good (considering it is a midrange card). Apple normally go for the lowend cards in the base configuration (e.g. HD2400pro or G8400GS).

Plus these cards should have HDCP and HDMI, along with hardware BluRay movie decoding. I am sure they have something like the G8800GTS in the highend.
The high end for the MP is the 8800GT. (If you aren't counting the Quadro)
Not a minor bump, looks like the new Intel 5400 server/workstation chipset.Um, if Apple has 4 PCIe slots are two PCIe 2.0 slots or is it one slot is PCIe 2.0 and the rest are 1.0/1.1 slots? If this is the case then why do they mention having only 3 slots?

G4DP
Jan 8, 2008, 08:01 AM
Give us a b****y UK price Apple.

Corran Horn
Jan 8, 2008, 08:01 AM
Apple store is down... :(

diamond.g
Jan 8, 2008, 08:02 AM
Graphics cards are still unimpressive. They are 12 month old cards.

Sigh, the 8800GT is 3-4 months old... Do people even look at the Mac Pro (http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html)page before complaining?

imacdaddy
What's wrong with going for the option for a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT?

Are people whining because it's not the 8800 Ultra?

ErikGrim

What are you really paying for ? 2799 for the processor alone I guess...Hahaha. This was a joke people. Get it? Just a parody of the usual moaners.

Or so I hope...

vendettabass
Jan 8, 2008, 08:04 AM
Im guessing with the inclusion of XT, theyre not downclocking these like in the iMacs?

sushi
I would hope so.

Also, no Blu-Ray...looks like Apple is opting out of the format war still...
Makes sense.

excellent, more room in the keynote next week for drastically new products.

All ahead of Macworld? AMAZING! Definitely more room for goodies. :D

YES! :D :D :D

Can you say ultra-portable? :)

Bye bye! :)

iSee
First moan ;) :

No Bluray

No one should feel bad about this--If Apple offered Blu-ray it would've been more expensive than the third-party options. So almost everyone would end up buying 3rd-party anyway.

Remember folks: the MP can be upgraded

Sun Baked
Um, if Apple has 4 PCIe slots are two PCIe 2.0 slots or is it one slot is PCIe 2.0 and the rest are 1.0/1.1 slots? If this is the case then why do they mention having only 3 slots?

Don't know...

http://images.apple.com/macpro/images/technology_processor_architecture20080108.png

But it looks like two of each.

Edit: Tech specs are up, two of each -- the list you saw is listed as the "open slots"

Music_Producer
Sigh, the 8800GT is 3-4 months old... Do people even look at the Mac Pro (http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html)page before complaining?

People will ALWAYS complain. I never quite understood the 'pros' who wait for these beasts to come out.. and then moan that they don't like playing DOOM on them.

Jasonbot
Jan 8, 2008, 08:05 AM
Under 'Processing' it says "Quad-core: One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 series processor"

Does that mean it only has one processor? Will this model be much cheaper, mid range tower anyone?

Octobot
Jan 8, 2008, 08:06 AM
Can someone outline the TDP for these chips again.. that Apple is now offering in the Mac Pro.. Thanks.

Jiddick ExRex
Jan 8, 2008, 08:06 AM
Finally they go everything they needed. Is the price the same (DK store is down so I cannot compare...)

atari1356
Jan 8, 2008, 08:07 AM
Nice update but nothing groundbreaking. Still hoping for something in between an iMac and a Mac Pro.

jsw
Does that mean it only has one processor? Will this model be much cheaper, mid range tower anyone?
Yes, it'll be a price-reduced version. No, it won't have a different case.

whenpaulsparks
Woo hoo! Oh god.. forget Blu-Ray.. just get a separate BR drive and install it! Knowing Apple they would probably have made it an ultra-expensive option anyway.

yeah, if you want to use BD for data.

there is no BD video playback software for mac. so if you install a BD drive, you can only use it as a 25/50GB data store.

cheunghy
Jan 8, 2008, 08:08 AM
There is no significant change in the enclosure since the introduction of PowerMac G5 in 2003...

Pressure
Jan 8, 2008, 08:08 AM
Yes!

But it only has one PCI-Express 2.0 x16 slot, not two as stated by the news item.

Grimace
Jan 8, 2008, 08:09 AM
ONE MORE THING: Blu-Ray now BTO.

Let's hope that these bad boys don't ship until MacWorld so Steve-O can make that announcement!

acearchie

So much for sucky graphics:

From Apple's Site:
The optional NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 graphics card is the ultimate workstation-class graphics card available, with a massive 1.5GB of GDDR3 memory and a 3D stereo port for stereo-in-a-window applications.

jsw
There is no significant change in the enclosure since the introduction of PowerMac G5 in 2003...
Actually, the internals are substantially different.

Yes, a new case - especially one which is easier to carry without slicing off one's fingers - would be nice.

volvoben
well it surely isn't a step towards an affordable expandable tower, (although i haven't seen what lower end BTO option exists, if any), and i'm always slightly disappointed when an update doesn't come with a new look, but overall it's good.

that said, i don't see any real reason why i would prefer it to a refurb or even used 2.66 for the type of CS3-heavy work I do...i make an alright living, but another $300 isn't particularly easy to swallow either...i mean, i could build a 4-core PC for ~$1200 with new penryn processor etc...a $3000 computer almost seems like an irresponsible investment, even with the slightly slowed pace of obsolescence...even a relatively heavy user could get 2 disposable imacs in the same time, and i'm betting the second imac has 4 cores and has a higher clock speed (more cores are great, but i'd prefer a theoretical 4 core 5ghz mac pro over an 8 core 3.2ghz mac pro any day).

oh, the price Apple makes us pay for expandability.

Edit: wow, a single 2.8 option, wonder what that'll cost...and how it'll compare to a 2.66 2xdual mac pro...if it's cheaper and comparable performance-wise i'll raise my assessment from a 7/10 to an 8/10.

takao
Jan 8, 2008, 08:10 AM
intresting: 2 16 lane 2.0 PCIe slots as stated in specifications

x2600xt... well it could have been much worse .... but plus here: 2 dual-link dvi connectors which mean 2 30" connactable in base configuration

good to see the gt8800 finally arrive ... that will make some happy pandas

bluetooth included another plus point there

faster ram: 800mhz ... about time ... (still FB ram though)

hard disk: apple still saving there .... they should at least went to 500GB in base

most hidden BTO fact: you can configure the mac pro down to a _single CPU_ ... for those more than happy with 4 cores and who like a better GFX card instead some relief

first single cpu mac pro since the G5 ?

Modjo
Jan 8, 2008, 08:10 AM
Yes!

But it only has one PCI-Express 2.0 x16 slot, not two as stated by the news item.

It has 4 slots, 3 are free. One x16 2.0 slot is filled with the graphics card. One x16 2.0 slot is free, and 2 regular x4 PCI-E slots are free.

Evangelion
Jan 8, 2008, 08:11 AM

Mac Pro's have never had hi-end vid-cards as standard. And for most tasks, you don't need a hi-end card. Comparable machines from the likes of Dell also ship with quite modest vid-cards.

So long, don't let the door hit you on your way out.

stoid
Jan 8, 2008, 08:11 AM
You'll notice that Apple INCREASED the price by $300 on the base model to $2,799. This puts a $500 price difference between the most expensive iMac and the cheapest Mac Pro.

Could think move be to make room for a more mid-range Mac?

Kar98
Jan 8, 2008, 08:12 AM
well i wonder what will be anounced at macworld now... hopefully its not another keynote on the new iphone 2.0 atleast it will probaly be the ultra portable macbook.

iPhone 2. Now with copy and paste, built-in GPS receiver, and Apple is taking over the AMPS network. All new analog iPhones, yeah baby! :D

vendettabass
Jan 8, 2008, 08:13 AM
You'll notice that Apple INCREASED the price by $300 on the base model to $2,799. This puts a $500 price difference between the most expensive iMac and the cheapest Mac Pro.

well spotted, lets have a cube 2!

Carl Spackler
$2,799 for the "standard", which I assume is the mid-level machine, seems a bit steep. Wasn't the previous "standard" about $300 less? The iMac or a refurb is more appealing every single day, sadly

Can anyone tell what warrants the price increase? Are the Penryn chips really that much costlier than the previous ones?

I'm eager to see the store up and running, so I can get one of these in my budget.

diamond.g
Don't know...

http://images.apple.com/macpro/images/technology_processor_architecture20080108.png

But it looks like two of each.

Okay so it is 4 slots. The NB has the PCIe 2.0 slots and the SB has the 1.1/1.0 slots. Something is wrong. I was under the impression that 2.0 brought the ability to draw 150 watts from the slot plus another 150 from the 6-8 pin power connector. So the MP should support 450 watts for video from the slots alone. But Apple says only 300 watts. I wonder why.

giles117
I'm dissappointed they didnt make all the 5400 series chips available from 2.0 on up. My hope was there would be 8 core macs from 2.0's up to the 3.2's

after all the 2.0 Quad (5405) runs $215.. Geez Apple what a blunder...

Or at least have a slot in that single quad for expansion... Apple misses the boat on this one....

ziwi
Jan 8, 2008, 08:14 AM

Exactly what I was thinking...I am still waiting until next week just to see. If it was at the same price point I may have jumped today, but I think I will wait and see if they are finally going to use the desktop chips...

supercooled
Correct me if I'm wrong, but $2,799 was the entry model's price for Canada for the 2.66Ghz mid-end. Something like $2,440 for the low-end 2.0Ghz model. This is a gargantuan bump from 2.0Ghz and if they can keep the same price of $2,440 oh boy, that's great.

Stores are down at the moment but hooray for the update. Now I better start scrounging the sofa for loose change and add them up. (rebudgetting for the next 6 months to afford this).

acearchie
So long, don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Here, Here.

I for one think this is a great set up!

And what about: (from yahoo)

up to four 1TB Serial ATA hard drives running at 7200 rpm or up to four 300GB SAS drives running at 15000 rpm;

15000rpm sounds lightening quick!

giles117
Jan 8, 2008, 08:15 AM
$2,799 for the "standard", which I assume is the mid-level machine, seems a bit steep. Wasn't the previous "standard" about $300 less? The iMac or a refurb is more appealing every single day, sadly

Can anyone tell what warrants the price increase? Are the Penryn chips really that much costlier than the previous ones?

I'm eager to see the store up and running, so I can get one of these in my budget.

All the papers I see say penryns are cheaper....

Evangelion
The high end for the MP is the 8800GT. (If you aren't counting the Quadro)

Why shouldn't we count the Quadro?

vendettabass
http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html

2.8 is the low end it seems

NYmacAttack
Jan 8, 2008, 08:16 AM

I cant wait to see how much the BTO option on the Quadro is.

Jul
interesting:

bluetooth is standard now apparently

there is a single processor option again (i guess you could drop in a second cpu later, but you can't buy them (fsb 1600) today)

ob81
Oh well, graphics wise my iMac performs like a Mac pro. I made the right decision.

Yoursh
Jan 8, 2008, 08:17 AM
Don't think anyone has pointed it out but at the bottom of the Mac Pro design page it plugs the cinema displays. It makes it sound like there is a price drop. Maybe new models.

http://www.apple.com/macpro/design.html

supercooled

It's astonishing you're still on the first gen PowerBook. How did you manage?

Seriously, I thought it was Apple's credo to keep prices firm but gratis upgrades?

iSee
yeah, if you want to use BD for data.

there is no BD video playback software for mac. so if you install a BD drive, you can only use it as a 25/50GB data store.

It really doesn't make any sense to use a MP as a media center mac.

MacHiavelli
Jan 8, 2008, 08:18 AM
Wonder why the apple store is still down. ACDs coming as well? I HOPE!

takao
Jan 8, 2008, 08:19 AM

they also introduced a single CPU BTO which very likely is again 500$ cheaper than the base configuration (we will see how much that is when stores are up again)
so actually this was more of a blow to any mid range mac speculation

Manatee
I'm glad that Apple is beginning their announcements this week. It would be nice if they could get all the updates out of the way now, and use the keynote next week for new products and technologies.

diamond.g
Can someone outline the TDP for these chips again.. that Apple is now offering in the Mac Pro.. Thanks. Same as before AFAIK the TDP hasn't changed. Supposedly this was to allow Intel some crazy clocking headroom. All the new Xeon chips should be able to hit 3.5-4 GhZ with some good cooling. With phase change cooling I seem to recall 4.5 Ghz being the limit before yuo have to increase the VDD too high to make it worth it. Most Intel procs can be under VDD'ed and still run at the advertised speed.

Yes!

There are 2.

KindredMAC
Yeah sorry.... no happy camper here.

Still the same old look just now costs more and no Blu-Ray.

Also done a week BEFORE MacWorld?????

This equals a huge "WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!".....

Benjamindaines
Jan 8, 2008, 08:20 AM
Apple announcing this today (before the Keynote) pretty much confirms for me that something huge is coming. I doubt it will be a tablet, but something's coming!

_bnkr612
Jan 8, 2008, 08:20 AM
Yawn.

Looks like I'll still be plenty happy with my MP 2.66. Maybe a tad bit more ram for the MP!

Cheers.

milo
Jan 8, 2008, 08:21 AM
uh but what i wanted in a new mac pro is a NEW mac pro...as in not a speed bump but a complete redesign:mad:

Maybe that's because the old design was just fine...what is so wrong with it?

And seriously, people don't see this as a big upgrade? Isn't this the latest and greatest chips from intel? Going from 4 to 8 cores on the base machine isn't a big jump? If this machine isn't a good deal, what's the PC equivalent that's better price/performance?

And bluray won't happen until it's the clear winner, if apple shipped a drive that ended up not winning the format war, people would just bitch about that instead. The warner announcment was just days ago, now that that happened, the momentum will FINALLY start going clearly to bluray. Apple will add bluray as an option soon, in the meantime aren't there third party drives that can be added?

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is that going to all 8 core machines widens the gap between the "consumer" machines...hopefully this bodes well for a midtower.

After all, this machine makes ZERO sense as a gaming machine. Better off with 2-4 cores in a smaller box with graphics card in a slot and maybe one open slot. Announcing this before the show sets the stage perfectly for releasing a midtower next week.

With these machines out, all the whining last month about apple being "late" by not updating to intel's interim chips seem pretty pathetic. How many companies have actually shipped those machines by now? And how many buyers are going to feel stupid for buying them instead of waiting less than a month for an even better chip?

acearchie
Don't think anyone has pointed it out but at the bottom of the Mac Pro design page it plugs the cinema displays. It makes it sound like there is a price drop. Maybe new models.

http://www.apple.com/macpro/design.html

Good call....

its little things like this that really make all this addiction to apple worthwhile!

Sun Baked
Okay so it is 4 slots. The NB has the PCIe 2.0 slots and the SB has the 1.1/1.0 slots. Something is wrong. I was under the impression that 2.0 brought the ability to draw 150 watts from the slot plus another 150 from the 6-8 pin power connector. So the MP should support 450 watts for video from the slots alone. But Apple says only 300 watts. I wonder why.

Bookmark this...

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/HardwareDrivers/AppleHardware-date.html

when the new developer Quad Core Mac Pro note is released there will likely be a update in Apple's PCI Developer Note and Video Developer Note.

These two will explain the power availability a bit more. What each card draws and what each slot can deliver.

Cannot tell what Apple is doing until the developer notes are updated,

EricHvk
Im just about ready to drop like 9g's Im excited the quadro card with 1.5gb is insane

jsw
How so?

The quad-core will be the same price or less with a better base graphics card.

Octobot
Wonder why the apple store is still down. ACDs coming as well? I HOPE!

Ya me too..

altoption
Jan 8, 2008, 08:22 AM
I'm thrilled they haven't touched the case. Now, I'm hoping they'll announce displays ahead of next week, too.

CashGap
Jan 8, 2008, 08:23 AM
People will ALWAYS complain. I never quite understood the 'pros' who wait for these beasts to come out.. and then moan that they don't like playing DOOM on them.

Though I agree, I'm more puzzled by another typical response:

"I wish they'd have changed the case so everyone would know I have a new one". Not exactly a "pro" sentiment?

acearchie
Jan 8, 2008, 08:23 AM
Im just about ready to drop like 9g's Im excited the quadro card with 1.5gb is insane

And im sure Apple will be happy to chuck a huge premium on it!

Damn I love Steve! Ha

ijerry
Jan 8, 2008, 08:24 AM
Straight from :apple: 's website:

PCI Express expansion7

* Three open full-length PCI Express expansion slots
o One PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot
o Two PCI Express x4 slots
* All slots provide mechanical support for 16-lane cards
* 300W combined maximum for all PCI Express slots

seems like we only have 3 slots in the mac pro now?? :confused:

wanted to get my BTO grand total going but website is still down :( :cool:

now the wait to MWSF and my new slim laptop :D

EDIT: the Apple Store is down for some time. Possibly other new products?? **crosses fingers**

edward.nortonek
Jan 8, 2008, 08:24 AM
I read some time ago (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/01/02/apple_presenting_secret_at_final_cut_meet_radiohead_on_itunes.html), that there will be special announcement for Final Cut users on 16th Jan (one day after keynote) - . I expected it to be about new Mac Pro, but it's not going be it. As mentioned in the article - they don't expect the new version of the suite. Possible scenario:
- on 15th they announce blu-ray drives in few high-end machines (+ Leopard 1.5.2 will support blu-ray playback - probably limited to new machines, because there's this stupid copy-protection system, that needs to be supported by the graphic card)
- on 16th on this FC meeting, they announce a free update for DVD Studio Pro (it didn't get updated in Final Cut Studio 2) with support for Blu-ray

I just cannot imagine any other super-secret FC announcement, that would correlate with other (hardware + leopard update) announcements on 15th.

Evangelion
Jan 8, 2008, 08:25 AM
Yeah sorry.... no happy camper here.

Why should they change the appearance? For the sake of changing it?

Also done a week BEFORE MacWorld?????

This equals a huge "WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!".....

Maybe they did this now, so they have more time for other products at MacWorld ;)?

desenso
Jan 8, 2008, 08:26 AM
OK, come on now Apple Store... get back online!

diamond.g
Eh, G80 core versus the G92 core. The clock on the Quadro is insane though. What would be nice is to know how many stream processors it has. That would help tell which is actually better.
Oh well, graphics wise my iMac performs like a Mac pro. I made the right decision.
Not true. The MP has a faster base card than the iMac.

Sun Baked
interesting:

bluetooth is standard now apparently

there is a single processor option again (i guess you could drop in a second cpu later, but you can't buy them (fsb 1600) today)

Don't count on it until more info is released, last time Apple did this they depopulated the socket.

Octobot
Where they always HD?
"The 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display..."

Loa
Underwhelming, to say the least.

I'm guessing the most happy campers are the guys who couldn't wait in October-November and bought a Mac Pro then. They must be saying: "Good!!! We didn't miss much by not waiting!"

Also, I'm not too hopeful for MacWorld: if MacPros take the backstage, I'm expecting the iPod, iPhone, iTune store, or other non-Mac thing to be the Next-Big-Thing.

Apple Computers is no more; we're dealing with Apple now.

Nisaea

acearchie
Jan 8, 2008, 08:27 AM
I read some time ago (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/01/02/apple_presenting_secret_at_final_cut_meet_radiohead_on_itunes.html), that there will be special announcement for Final Cut users on 16th Jan (one day after keynote) - . I expected it to be about new Mac Pro, but it's not going be it. As mentioned in the article - they don't expect the new version of the suite. Possible scenario:
- on 15th they announce blu-ray drives in few high-end machines (+ Leopard 1.5.2 will support blu-ray playback - probably limited to new machines, because there's this stupid copy-protection system, that needs to be supported by the graphic card)
- on 16th on this FC meeting, they announce a free update for DVD Studio Pro (it didn't get updated in Final Cut Studio 2) with support for Blu-ray

I just cannot imagine any other super-secret FC announcement, that would correlate with other (hardware + leopard update) announcements on 15th.

for your first post i would say 98.8% reliable!

dobbin
The iMac update is months off...don't get excited.

I don't want to hijack this thread to talk about iMacs... but... why does everyone say iMac updates are months off?

My guess is that Apple wanted to announce something this week to counteract the publicity that Bill Gates is getting at the CES. And what better announcement to bring forward than todays announcment of the "faster ever Macs".

Steve can then re-announce this next week and give more details of what it all means, and he may also mention that iMacs and MacBook Pros will also be updated with Penryn.

The MacRumors Buyer's Guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac)is advising "buy only if you need it - approaching the end of a cycle" for iMacs so talk of updates being months away seems strange to me.

solvs

2.8 is the low end it seems
2x 2.8 is the base. That's $2799. There's a single 2.8 Quad that'll be cheaper. We just don't know how much. I still think they need a lower end, somewhere around $2k US, but it is what it is.

I don't think I'll be upgrading my 2.66 anytime soon, but it looks like a nice upgrade.

zedsdead

Final Cut Server is expected earlier 2008...my guess is that...Blu-Ray would have already been an option...don't expect it yet.

Carl Spackler
Jan 8, 2008, 08:28 AM
It's astonishing you're still on the first gen PowerBook. How did you manage?

Slowly. I manage slowly. I had a dual processor G5, but sold it right after intel was announced, in an effort to get max value.

I'm pretty shocked at how well it's held up.

Pressure
Jan 8, 2008, 08:29 AM
Finally they go everything they needed. Is the price the same (DK store is down so I cannot compare...)

It has increased in cost. Base model is $2799, up from $2499.

takao

PCI Express expansion7

3 _open_ slots ... 1 slot of the 4 is obviously already taken by a graphics card which is sitting in the first PCIe 2.0 slot

edit:
that said i wonder on the pricing: why they exactly increased price that much for the base configuration ... i wonder if it has to do anything with the currency economics of the past 1,5 year ...for sure if they again come up with a 1:1 conversion for the euro prices it will make a lot of sad faces

Evangelion
Eh, G80 core versus the G92 core.

Again: why should we not count the Quadro? What "core" it is is 100% irrelevant, what matters is what you can do with it. Granted. for most users the Quadro is not needed. But for those who do need it, it's the better choice that the 8800 is. Quadro is meant for specific workloads, and it excels at those.

Mackan
Jan 8, 2008, 08:30 AM
Apple announcing this today (before the Keynote) pretty much confirms for me that something huge is coming. I doubt it will be a tablet, but something's coming!

Maybe the Mac Touch.

darthraige
Holy *****!

ob81
Not true. The MP has a fater base card than the iMac.

It still is a $98 graphics card in a $2,800 computer.

Evangelion
Underwhelming, to say the least.

I'm guessing the most happy campers are the guys who couldn't wait in October-November and bought a Mac Pro then. They must be saying: "Good!!! We didn't miss much by not waiting!"

Also, I'm not too hopeful for MacWorld: if MacPros take the backstage, I'm expecting the iPod, iPhone, iTune store, or other non-Mac thing to be the Next-Big-Thing.

Nisaea

Oh quit your whining. This is a fine update. They are using the latest and greatest chips Intel has to offer. What were you hoping for exactly?

Octobot
Jan 8, 2008, 08:31 AM
Wow this thread is all over the place.. I feel like I'm in a loud crowded room. ;)

Evangelion
Jan 8, 2008, 08:32 AM

So? If they put a $200 card in there, it would be a "$200 card in a $3000 computer".

nickane
Jan 8, 2008, 08:32 AM
I'm pretty sure the guy typing in red was being sarcastic, hence the use of red and the comment about the processors being worth that much alone.

SAS drives? Awesome.

I hope the prices reflect the weak dollar abroad as Canadian prices have done lately. This is really good news despite what ppl are saying. Just one thing:

I can live without bluray, that might still come at macworld, but is one of those logos to do with esata?

I can't find it on google images or on the Mac Pro page.

PowerMike G5
Jan 8, 2008, 08:33 AM
Apple's performance specs between their high-end Mac Pro compared to the previous High-End 8-Core shows minial speed improvements.

I thought I would see more of a speed increase, especially with SSE4 for video applications, but it looks minimal at best.

Looks like previous 8-core machines are still very much powerhouses ...

Chupa Chupa
Jan 8, 2008, 08:34 AM

That would be just fine and dandy IF support existed for BD-R in OS X and iDVD/DSP. As of now there isn't any easy/cheap way to burn a video BD-R even if you had a BD-R drive attached to your Mac. Toast only supports data BD-R.

Modjo
Jan 8, 2008, 08:35 AM
PCI Express expansion7
wanted to get my BTO grand total going but website is still down :( :cool:
now the wait to MWSF nd my new slim laptop :D
EDIT: the Apple Store is down for some time. Possibly other new products?? **crosses fingers**

3 _open_ slots ... 1 slot of the 4 is obviously already taken by a graphics card which is sitting in the first PCIe 2.0 slot

Djeez ... why have topics if no one reads through them?
This has been mentioned 3 or 4 times already. Takao has mentioned it, I have mentioned it, some other dude said the exact same thing.
Besides, if you would have thought this through, I think you would have found the answer yourself hè? :)

I don't mean to be rude. But stuff like that clutters forums up with redundant info. As does my own post at this time. :cool:

fireoutside
This is perfect timing! I'm in the middle of proposing Macs for the (newly established) graphics department at my workplace. The new standard config is just the right amount of specs to not have to add anything to make the price go up. Hopefully they'll be available for purchase and shipping real soon...

asphalt-proof

There you have it folks, our first partypooper of the day. Now that we have that out of the way we can start to look forward to next week. :rolleyes:

nickane

Good point. So much for Phenomenon arriving early as the comments section hoped.

Can someone answer my e-sata question before the store comes back up?

Evangelion
Jan 8, 2008, 08:36 AM
I thought I would see more of a speed increase, especially with SSE4 for video applications, but it looks minimal at best.

Apps need to have support for SSE4. And they obviously do not.

Yoursh
Jan 8, 2008, 08:36 AM
Good call....

its little things like this that really make all this addiction to apple worthwhile!

From looking at the display's page, it looks like the same models. I'm guessing a price drop.

edward.nortonek
Jan 8, 2008, 08:38 AM
Final Cut Server is expected earlier 2008...my guess is that...Blu-Ray would have already been an option...don't expect it yet.

You might be right, but Final Cut Server doesn't seem to be a 'super-secret' announcement... But well, rumors tend to exagerrate.

Thomas421
Good point. So much for Phenomenon arriving early as the comments section hoped.

Can someone answer my e-sata question before the store comes back up?

from the specs page:
Analog stereo line-level input and output minijacks

takao
Again: why should we not count the Quadro? What "core" it is is 100% irrelevant, what matters is what you can do with it. Granted. for most users the Quadro is not needed. But for those who do need it, it's the better choice that the 8800 is. Quadro is meant for specific workloads, and it excels at those.

true that ... but the quadros aren't actually that different hardware wise from the consumer cards ... in fact nvidia and ati simply lock down those special CAD instructions/pathes on the consumer cards to make them slower for professional apps (so that the pros actually pay those enormous prices)

i think i remember a few generations where you could simply flash the firmware and turn your 400$ card into a 2000$ CAD card (nowadays they pull more tricks to prevent that)

dave-tx
2x 2.8 is the base. That's $2799. There's a single 2.8 Quad that'll be cheaper. We just don't know how much. I still think they need a lower end, somewhere around $2k US, but it is what it is.

I don't think I'll be upgrading my 2.66 anytime soon, but it looks like a nice upgrade.

Is there any indication as to whether or not the single-cpu version will use the same motherboard, leaving one empty socket for future user-upgrade?

mwp98223
Jan 8, 2008, 08:39 AM
The store remains down. MacPro page is updated, but store front is down and has been for a good bit this morning. More updates still to come?

V.K.
Jan 8, 2008, 08:39 AM
Well, I for one am very happy! This update addresses all my concerns.
I wasn't going to buy a blu-ray drive from apple anyway. It will be much cheaper to go with 3rd party versions.

Thomas421
Jan 8, 2008, 08:40 AM
Does anyone have the 'old' cinemadisplay part numbers?

these are on the macpro specs page:
20-inch Apple Cinema Display (M9177LL/A)
23-inch Apple Cinema HD Display (M9178LL/A)
30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display (M9179LL/A)

As far as I remember they are still the same, but I'm not at work at the moment, so I can't check our stock.

Pressure
Jan 8, 2008, 08:41 AM
There are 2.

It clearly says one on the Tech Specs page!

http://home20.inet.tele.dk/pressure/PCI-Express.png

student_trap
im in heaven, thank you apple, its been long, but worth it!

Popeye206
Seems logical... Announce this now to go along with the launch of the Penyrn Chip at CES.... next week, they will announce BluRay support at MW and then this will have BluRay.... I'm sure they announced this now to help Intel show of the Penyrn chip at CES as a favor to them... also, it leaves more time at MW for more announcements that more people will care about like the iPhone update, the ultra portable, BlueRay, movies rentals, etc... etc... My goodness... it does not get any better than this!

Evangelion
true that ... but the quadros aren't actually that different hardware wise from the consumer cards

By that logic, low-end cards aren't that different from hi-end cards either. They just have some disabled pixel-units and, lower clock-speed and less RAM.

kwfl
they are updating the store at the moment, guess what?

thiagos
I don't understand what is going on with Apple lately. They have always had the best design ideas out of any other manufacturer out there, but its about time that they update their Cinema Displays, Mac Pro and Macbook Pro lines.

The new iMac design wasn't really a redesign, they just made it a little thinner, threw in the aluminum casing and black bordered glass screen. Same thing with the iPod Classics, the same thing just different casing, are they out of ideas?

I thought that the Mac Pro would see a new casing update so I guess not.

I am waiting on a MacBook Pro casing update so I can buy one. I TRULY hope that it is updated on Macworld San Francisco. The MacBook Pro's design has been looking dull lately..

Crawn2003
Jan 8, 2008, 08:42 AM

Everyone else:

1. Of course not. Everyone else wanted a faster speed bump, better graphics standard, more memory (even though it's 2GB standard), there isn't a Mac Pro Mini or Cube, the case is exactly the same, there is no Blu-Ray or HD-DVD option, it isn't signed by Steve Jobs, etc. etc. etc.

I'm just expecting the forums to fill up with moaning and groaning over this speed bump, because really, that's exactly what it is - a speed bump that took almost 1.5 years to bring to light. If I was waiting for a Mac Pro update, like many have by putting off until now, I can understand their frustration but the way I look at it is this:

You now get 8-cores for the price of the original Mac Pro that was only 4-cores at 2.66GHz.

2. Eh, maybe, but just like this: A speed bump. I think they did it to the Power Mac G4's just before the release of the Titanium PowerBook G4's. I can't remember.

~Crawn

Gunga Din
(1) For anyone interested in gaming. The 8800 GT is an excellent card and recommended for playing Crysis (The most graphics demanding game out at the moment). Its not the highest end card but if it can handle that game at a good price and is the most recommended gaming card for PC's.

(2) Blu-ray : Just buy one later and install it. You know its gonna be so much cheaper lol.

(3) Total Redesign: Not needed, the Mac Pro already looks great and has a great setup.

I think its time for me to make the switch to Mac. :)

malenfant
Excellent! Time to order... not sure what speed I'll be getting because the Store's still down, but I plan to start with 2 GB of RAM which I will upgrade myself (Apple RAM = too expensive), 1 TB HD (add 3 more HDs later), and the 512 MB video card. Oh, and a 30" display.

[drools]

diamond.g
Jan 8, 2008, 08:43 AM
Bookmark this...

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/HardwareDrivers/AppleHardware-date.html

when the new developer Quad Core Mac Pro note is released there will likely be a update in Apple's PCI Developer Note and Video Developer Note.

These two will explain the power availability a bit more. What each card draws and what each slot can deliver.

Cannot tell what Apple is doing until the developer notes are updated, Thanks

Again: why should we not count the Quadro? What "core" it is is 100% irrelevant, what matters is what you can do with it. Granted. for most users the Quadro is not needed. But for those who do need it, it's the better choice that the 8800 is. Quadro is meant for specific workloads, and it excels at those. We should count the Quadro. But you are also righ, for the things it is good at it excels. If you are rendering stuff in Maya or AutoCAD then the Quadro is the best card for the job. Most other applications are not able to take advantage of the specific features that it offers, that was why I said if you want to count it.

Octobot
Jan 8, 2008, 08:43 AM
I don't understand what is going on with Apple lately. They have always had the best design ideas out of any other manufacturer out there, but its about time that they update their Cinema Displays, Mac Pro and Macbook Pro lines.

The new iMac design wasn't really a redesign, they just made it a little thinner, threw in the aluminum casing and black bordered glass screen. Same thing with the iPod Classics, the same thing just different casing, are they out of ideas?

I thought that the Mac Pro would see a new casing update so I guess not.

I am waiting on a MacBook Pro casing update so I can buy one. I TRULY hope that it is updated on Macworld San Francisco. The MacBook Pro's design has been looking dull lately..

They are waiting for Nehalem for the re-design (MacPros).
I think we Apple users are spoiled with good design.. when compared to PC's.
Plus when you use the computer everyday.. its attractiveness slowly fades, just like anything.
We get used to it.. just remember the first day you un-boxed your new gear.

Modjo
Jan 8, 2008, 08:44 AM

1) READ through the rest of the topic
2) Use common sense
3) Great signature

Chupa Chupa
I don't want to hijack this thread to talk about iMacs... but... why does everyone say iMac updates are months off?

My guess is that Apple wanted to announce something this week to counteract the publicity that Bill Gates is getting at teh CES. And what better thing to bring forward than todays announcment of the "faster ever Macs".

Steve can then re-announce this next week and give more details of what it all means, and he may also mention that iMacs and MacBook Pros will also be updated with Penryn.

The MacRumors Buyer's Guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac)is advising "buy only if you need it - approaching the end of a cycle" for iMacs so talk of updates being months away seems strange to me.

1) I don't think a speed bumped Mac Pro is going to take an attention away from CES. Today's MP just brings it up to current standards. Basically, except for fanboys it's a yawn.

2) Don't get your hopes up for a new iMac @ MW. It's not going to happen, especially after today's MP bump. The MP release now is Apple's message that they are not going to waste Keynote time going over speed bumped products. The Keynote will be for all-new product(s). Like most others here, don't expect a new iMac until Late Feb to Early April.

acearchie
From looking at the display's page, it looks like the same models. I'm guessing a price drop.

A price drop with maybe a little hardware bump or something will make me happy!

kaisdaddy
Jan 8, 2008, 08:45 AM
...is not Apple's fault but a reflection of what has happened to the US dollar. The Fed has been so busy printing up new dollars that the value has dropped below that of the Canadian Looney.

If you allow politicians to print up money whenever they need some, they will. Inflation is a tax and here you are seeing it in action. :(

Crawn2003
Jan 8, 2008, 08:45 AM
Seems logical... Announce this now to go along with the launch of the Penyrn Chip at CES.... next week, they will announce BluRay support at MW and then this will have BluRay.... I'm sure they announced this now to help Intel show of the Penyrn chip at CES as a favor to them... also, it leaves more time at MW for more announcements that more people will care about like the iPhone update, the ultra portable, BlueRay, movies rentals, etc... etc... My goodness... it does not get any better than this!

But how many people are going to buy today, tomorrow, etc. before Mac World?

And if they do release the option of Blu-Ray at Macworld, how many are going to be severely p*ssed off when the Mac Pros that they bought today could have had a Blu-Ray drive in it but doesn't?

A lot.

~Crawn

t0mat0
Jan 8, 2008, 08:46 AM
Does the new Mac Pro set up now limit the other lines? Mac Pro being the fastest etc? (or at least now, i know it's been too long since a general update and speed bump)

diamond.g
Jan 8, 2008, 08:46 AM

There are two. The key sentance in that lil box is 3 open slots. Can't have 4 open slots, kinda need a GPU.

noisejordan
Jan 8, 2008, 08:47 AM
First time post but I think I caught a leak-
On this page:
http://www.apple.com/macpro/technology/graphics.html
The displays at the top have silver apples but the displays on the bottom have black apples. Boo ya.

MBX
Jan 8, 2008, 08:47 AM
so no blu-ray?

disappointing.

Carl Spackler
Jan 8, 2008, 08:48 AM
they are updating the store at the moment, guess what?
Maybe they realized the $2,799 price tag was a typo and it should've been $2,499. Hey, I can dream.

All in all, the specs are just fine in my opinion, though I would've liked HDMI and eSATA. Not a big deal on those, though.

pkoch1
Woo, now I'm gonna get one of these shmancy new Mac Pro machines...but now I need a name for it. Octoman? I don't know. Help me out!

vendettabass
On this page:
The displays at the top have silver apples but the displays on the bottom have black apples. Boo ya.

just reflection i think

Pressure
1) READ through the rest of the topic
2) Use common sense
3) Great signature

:D

Glad to be proved wrong on this one ;)

noisejordan
Jan 8, 2008, 08:49 AM
just reflection i think

True, further examination shows the apples get lighter as the displays go to the right. My bad.

ErikAndre
Jan 8, 2008, 08:50 AM
Why should they change the appearance? For the sake of changing it?

Maybe they did this now, so they have more time for other products at MacWorld ;)?

More time, and so each product can have its share of glory (rather than all clouded by the new laptop).

Modjo
On this page:
That's because of reflection. The apple logo is glossy shiny metal. So in certain situations it might appear black, but it's only reflection.

TBi
I'm curious as to how the SAS drives work in the SATA bays. I know the connectors are similar but how does the logic board switch between SAS and SATA. I always thought SAS needed to be added with a PCI-E card.

Mebsat
Jan 8, 2008, 08:51 AM
At the bottom of the specs page

You can add 10.4 Server 10-client and unlimited,
It doesn't link to the store but it seems weird for a typo.
(Also in the Google cache for the previous machine.)

If it can run 10.4 Server, it would obviously run Tiger.
Could there really be legacy support for those not ready or able (3rd party apps) to use Leopard?

I kinda doubt it, but I'm hoping...

Crawn2003
On this page:

Coming from a photographer, that is just reflection and the use of light.

No new display.

But if you do want to use this a sign, that means no new displays at Macworld because (in my opinion) why bother paying the photographer/graphic designer/web designer to put all these up and make them ready if you're going to have new displays next week?

~Crawn

KindredMAC
On this page:

Nice try..... I'm looking at my Cinema Display right now and the Apple Logo looks White from the reflection of my desk....

sconnor99
Store still down! someone's having a bad day!!

Claytoniss
seriously what are the benifits of a better graphics card? Especially coming from a proffesional p.o.v.

Its a MAC PRO!!! PRO!

Go Mac Go!!!

acearchie
Jan 8, 2008, 08:52 AM
On this page:

I noticed that as well. Also check out the Design Page (http://www.apple.com/macpro/design.html) I smell and minimal update with price drop

Also they wouldnt update the design and not the hardware... so...

Pic uploaded aswell...

masse
I don't understand why people are so bummed that it doesn't have x or y feature.

It's a desktop. You want blueray, stop being so lazy and just put one in. The mac pro makes it retardedly easy to do such things. Same goes for graphics cards if the 2600 is not your cup of tea.

They have the most powerful processors available, just like before. There was nothing to update until now and they updated it...so blame intel for the wait.

As for the keyboard...I don't see how this is a big deal at all.

Only thing is it might be a bad omen of things to come regarding the new mbp.

Octobot
Woo, now I'm gonna get one of these shmancy new Mac Pro machines...but now I need a name for it. Octoman? I don't know. Help me out!

Octobot... ;)

mwp98223
On this page:

True. Interesting catch. or maybe nothing. We'll see.

Carl Spackler
Jan 8, 2008, 08:53 AM
...is not Apple's fault but a reflection of what has happened to the US dollar. The Fed has been so busy printing up new dollars that the value has dropped below that of the Canadian Looney.

If you allow politicians to print up money whenever they need some, they will. Inflation is a tax and here you are seeing it in action. :(

ah, looks like a Libertarian, or at least a Ron Paul supporter to me.

AJClayton
Jan 8, 2008, 08:53 AM
I don't know why so many people complain about there being no new case for the Mac Pro. It's a great design already, there really isn't any need to change it just for the sake of changing it. Surely with a "Pro" machine the emphasis should be (and obviously is) on usability and performance?

The internals of the Pro are terrific. No cables to battle with, so easy to put hard drives and memory in. Until the interfaces and technology itself moves on, what on earth could Apple do to better the way this works?

Grimace
Jan 8, 2008, 08:54 AM
Go to the NZ store to browse -- most of them are asleep right now and it's much zippier than the US/UK version!

fanbrain
just reflection i think

Bingo.

Carl Spackler

And if they do release the option of Blu-Ray at Macworld, how many are going to be severely p*ssed off when the Mac Pros that they bought today could have had a Blu-Ray drive in it but doesn't?

A lot.

~Crawn
I suspect that if Blu-Ray or HD-DVD is not a BTO option, and the do announce Hi Def drives at MacWorld, these new Mac Pros will ship appropriately.

Crawn2003
Jan 8, 2008, 08:56 AM
I don't understand why people are so bummed that it doesn't have x or y feature.

It's a desktop. You want blueray, stop being so lazy and just put one in. The mac pro makes it retardedly easy to do such things. Same goes for graphics cards if the 2600 is not your cup of tea.

They have the most powerful processors available, just like before. There was nothing to update until now and they updated it...so blame intel for the wait.

As for the keyboard...I don't see how this is a big deal at all.

Only thing is it might be a bad omen of things to come regarding the new mbp.

Because Apple can't make everyone happy. I saw this coming a mile away as the forum filled up with more and more disgruntled users complaining about lack of features.

Everyone wants something and with the Mac Pro they want it all. I agree though, if I was wanting a Mac Pro right now, I would be happy, especially with the all 8-core option! Come on! A day ago that was a $1500 extra fee that's now a part of the price of the machine!

~Crawn

centauratlas
This makes it almost a slam dunk that there will be something new (thin-book and new Mac Book Pros in my estimation) at MacWorld.

They would not have announced this beforehand if there wasn't a lot of news to announce at MacWorld.

Great!

iBug2
I wonder if we'll able to buy 8800GT or 5600FX separately like we did X1900XT. I already own a Quad 3.0 and I don't want to replace my mac pro yet, just the video card.

kwfl
Jan 8, 2008, 08:57 AM
Maybe they realized the $2,799 price tag was a typo and it should've been $2,499. Hey, I can dream.

All in all, the specs are just fine in my opinion, though I would've liked HDMI and eSATA. Not a big deal on those, though.

believe me, it is showing as updating now, but 2 minutes ago, i refreshed the page and it was showing me a mac pro with 2499, i think it was the old one.

now, it is closed again.
i know, it is very easy to accuse me lying, :D but it is true. something wired going on there.

kaisdaddy
ah, looks like a Libertarian, or at least a Ron Paul supporter to me.

Yes, I do have a mile wide Libertarian streak, although I consider myself more of a fan of Austrian (free market) economics. :)

Breckenridge
Not a bad price, I just priced comparable configuration for a Dell Precision Workstation T7400 - 64bit and the price tag was for $5,267!!!

Here are the specs:
2 x Quad Core Intel® Xeon® Processor X5460 (3.16GHz,2X6M L2,1333)
2GB, DDR2 SDRAM FBD Memory, 667MHz, ECC (2 DIMMS)
256MB PCIe x16 nVidia NVS 290
16X DVD-ROM
No Floppy Drive
No Monitor
80GB SATA 3.0Gb/s,7200 RPM Hard Drive

Nice system right? I just love the 80GB default hard drive size that come with this package.

So go out there and get yourself a mac even if you are planning on running windows :)

chameleon
Jan 8, 2008, 08:58 AM
Wow. Some people are just not happy no matter what happens.

"The graphics cards suck."

"The price is higher."

"The case hasn't changed."

"There's no Blu-Ray."

You can't satisfy everyone.

If there was a Blu-Ray BTO option, we'd hear people whining that there wasn't a HD DVD option and that it costs too much.

If they had the latest, greatest NVidia card available, people would cry that it costs too much and there are no good games for the Mac anyway.

If the case had changed, some people would cry that they hate how it looks, and others would love it.

What were you really expecting, people? A 4Ghz 16 core machine in a Mac Mini case with 16Gb RAM, 4 Tb Hard Drive, four 8800 Ultra cards and a Blu-Ray/HD DVD combo drive for $999?

Personally, I'm placing an order as soon as the darned online store comes back up...

benpatient
Jan 8, 2008, 08:59 AM
moderators, please stop locking threads in the Mac Pro forums. Some people don't like reading through what will undoubtedly be dozens of pages of people saying "i wonder what people will complain about now?" and "it's about time" on this front-page thread to read actual useful things. You have an entire forum dedicated to Mac Pros and Power Macs, so it is OK for there to be more than a single thread talking about the first meaningful new entry to that product line in a year and a half! Might as well delete all of the non-front-page threads about the iPhone, too, while you're at it.

I think at some point the thread locking becomes unreasonable, and the mods here are getting dangerously close to that point. I wanted to respond in a thread and by the time I got my response typed up, it was locked because THIS thread "already exists." Now there isn't an open thread in the MAC PRO forums to discuss the stinking new MAC PRO.

That isn't reasonable. Do you mods dust and vacuum every room of your houses every morning? Maybe you should consider joining the Obsessive Compulsive Forums (http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=8) and take some time off from being a MacRumors forum Nazi? Just a thought.

Modjo
I suspect that if Blu-Ray or HD-DVD is not a BTO option, and the do announce Hi Def drives at MacWorld, these new Mac Pros will ship appropriately.

That would be iPhone price-cuts all over again.
"I just got my MacPro, i want BluRay too" etc.

Besides, why would they release a completely new system today, and just announce HD-drives at Macworld. Unless they're going all the way, BluRay as BTO in all computers, i don't see the use of this being a special Macworld announcement.

acearchie
Go to the NZ store to browse -- most of them are asleep right now and it's much zippier than the US/UK version!

My hero!

Those precious seconds looking at the real specs make me so happy!

Thought these would be what people would want to see.

lacohido
I'm interested to know if this mac is priced reasonably compared to other computers with the same hardware. Does anyone know if your paying a huge premium for the mac pro or is it reasonable?

milo
Jan 8, 2008, 09:00 AM
It has increased in cost. Base model is $2799, up from $2499.

Have you even read the thread? While the "base" model is 2799, there is also a quad core model for people who want a cheaper machine, although pricing hasn't been announced yet.

pkoch1
Jan 8, 2008, 09:00 AM
Octobot... ;)

Don't quote me on this, but I have a terribly funny feeling that that I have heard that name before. ;)

mambodancer
Jan 8, 2008, 09:01 AM

A lot.

~Crawn
Because Apple offers a 14 day price protection period and other retailers offer up to 1 month.

"Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 14 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price. To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 calendar days of the price change."

acearchie
Jan 8, 2008, 09:01 AM
Have you even read the thread? While the "base" model is 2799, there is also a quad core model for people who want a cheaper machine, although pricing hasn't been announced yet.

If you see my pics a few posts back you can subtract a processor to save cash!

jrlcopy
Jan 8, 2008, 09:02 AM
I'm interested to know if this mac is priced reasonably compared to other computers with the same hardware. Does anyone know if your paying a huge premium for the mac pro or is it reasonable?

Actually in most cases it is cheaper, price this with a workstation from HP, or one from DELL, the apple one is cheaper.

takao
I don't know why so many people complain about there being no new case for the Mac Pro. It's a great design already, there really isn't any need to change it just for the sake of changing it. Surely with a "Pro" machine the emphasis should be (and obviously is) on usability and performance?

i don't understand it either .. part of the reason i'm on this boards is that the mac pro caught my eye back in the day ... it finally showed that apple is serious for once

i hope they don't change the design until i can afford one ;) (i know it the day i have the money ready they are discontinued .. so that means at least 1,5 years of this design are still to come)

zioxide
Apple announcing this today (before the Keynote) pretty much confirms for me that something huge is coming.

Let me just point out that Macbook Pros were updated the week before WWDC last June and nothing huge came at the conference, so don't get your hopes up.

Black&Tan
According to Apple, the MacPro is using Harpertown, not Penryn.

http://www.apple.com/macpro/technology/processor.html

"Inside the new Mac Pro is the latest technology from Intel: Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Harpertown” processors. These processors run at blazingly fast speeds up to 3.2GHz."

GekkePrutser

My thoughts exactly. After last year's disaster I'm not really looking forward to this year's keynote anymore. This Mac Pro announcement is a bad sign, this is exactly the kind of news that used to make up the MWSF keynotes. Especially since this is the first real update to the Mac Pro in about 2 years (no, I don't count the 8-core BTO option as an update). So important news like this not being kept for next week's keynote means that the focus is not really on macs again next week.

It's a shame, it is still the Macworld after all. Not the 'latestoverhypedgadgetworld'.

olliebraves20
Jan 8, 2008, 09:03 AM
I have to admit that this just made my day!! I can finally get the now Mac Pro that I've needed for so long!!

G4DP
Harpertown is part of the Penryn family.

Octobot
For those who are complaining about the lack of a new case design..
Shell out some extra bucks and choose your color..
http://www.alumamax.com/product.html

Though they haven't reflected the new MP yet..

acearchie
Jan 8, 2008, 09:04 AM
EDIT: dont know a thing about computers...

Micrll
Jan 8, 2008, 09:04 AM
true that ... but the quadros aren't actually that different hardware wise from the consumer cards ... in fact nvidia and ati simply lock down those special CAD instructions/pathes on the consumer cards to make them slower for professional apps (so that the pros actually pay those enormous prices)

i think i remember a few generations where you could simply flash the firmware and turn your 400$ card into a 2000$ CAD card (nowadays they pull more tricks to prevent that)

Yep thats right, you used to be able to do that by changing a few things and reflashing the firmware. The performance for CAD or 3D Rendering would go up considerably, but you ended up actually dropping the FPS and your gaming ability.

As for the mac pro, I'm interested to see when the store comes up the student price is on a single core mac pro with a 8800 GT, thats more than enough graphics card muscle to do what I want.

Full of Win
Jan 8, 2008, 09:05 AM
If you look the price in terms of ounces of gold per 1 MacPro, the cost has gone DOWN, not up, since August 2006.

deputy_doofy

Exactly. Why don't people get this? There were no better processors for the Mac Pro until now. If this bothers you so much, go become an AMD and try to build better processors in a more timely manner.

Crawn2003
Because Apple offers a 14 day price protection period and other retailers offer up to 1 month.

"Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 14 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price. To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 calendar days of the price change."

But why do that for??? How much of a problem is that?

I, along with others, wouldn't want to buy today then come next week having the BTO option put out and having to go through all the channels to get the matter corrected.

That's just a waste of time to me...

~Crawn

Sincere
Jan 8, 2008, 09:06 AM
Well, I actually caught the news right as it was posted and have been reading through pages, waiting to get to the end of them to post, but the end never comes, so here I go...

I've been waiting out the Mac Pro since Intel was announced, my goal being to skip the G5 (I made it!). Hanging on with my 1Ghz rev1 17" Powerbook G4 and an iMac g4 I picked up for $50 and fixed. I'm writing this from a G3 Powerbook Pismo, even. Hardcore, no?

Well, I was glad to hear the news and surely WANT the machine, but I'm going to wait it out until the spring and see if a case redesign or "pro-sumer" unit comes out. I'm a semi-pro, I work from home doing freelance audio work, and the g4s barely cut it anymore, not to mention their inability to use Logic Studio.

I see lots of people angry about those with case re-design gripes, but seriously, this is still the G5 design (externally at least), and though I want the machine for work and care more about the inside, I'll be pretty miffed if a new, sparkly one comes out 3 months later with options more suited to my needs. It's a machine that I will spend almost every day at, it they can make it easier to use, easier to store, more compatible/diverse or, sure, even prettier, I want it.

Blu-Ray isn't there yet, and as many have pointed out, Apple would surely charge more for it anyway. The thought of 50gb backup optical media tickles me, as I have binders full of burned DVDs already, but I can wait and install it myself when it's cheaper/standardized.

It's nice to see the Mac Pro get attention again, but I'm going to try to eke out another 4 months from my ridiculous array of 4+ year old machines and wait to see what's coming.

OK, enough ramble. I started this post when the discussion was up to page 7, let's see where it ends up!

Oh, and one user (sorry, no quote) stated that it would be silly to use the new MP as a media center. Why? I don't have a TV and plan to use my new MP (and hopefully new display) as my TV/DVD Player.

Schtumple
Jan 8, 2008, 09:06 AM
Anyone noticed you can get a BTO option of just 1 Quad Core Xeon processor?

Surely, once the pricing on the BTO options becomes available, if you went for the baseline hardware, it'll be cheaper than before?

Cheaper mac pros anybody?

malenfant
Jan 8, 2008, 09:07 AM
According to Apple, the MacPro is using Harpertown, not Penryn.

http://www.apple.com/macpro/technology/processor.html

"Inside the new Mac Pro is the latest technology from Intel: Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Harpertown” processors. These processors run at blazingly fast speeds up to 3.2GHz."Not sure that page is completely up-to-date.

nickane
Jan 8, 2008, 09:07 AM
uk store back up.

Popeye206
Jan 8, 2008, 09:08 AM
Apple Store still down... maybe more is in the works????

Carl Spackler
That would be iPhone price-cuts all over again.
"I just got my MacPro, i want BluRay too" etc.

Besides, why would they release a completely new system today, and just announce HD-drives at Macworld. Unless they're going all the way, BluRay as BTO in all computers, i don't see the use of this being a special Macworld announcement.

Perhaps I should've explained my thoughts in more detail. If, for example, a Blu-Ray player become the default drive on all Macs, I think the new Mac Pros will ship with them.

I think it would be quite odd if they do announce something like this next week, but I susect that if they do, it will play out as I've suggested.

Until the store is up, it's all speculation, Hi Def may very well be a BTO option.

Black&Tan
Harpertown is part of the Penryn family.

Okay...thanks. My bad.

milo
Jan 8, 2008, 09:09 AM

And it's a card that's plenty good enough for many mac pro users. If I'm running Logic and Soundtrack Pro, I don't WANT to be paying more for video horsepower I don't need.

If you need a better graphics card, just BTO.

ZLurker
Jan 8, 2008, 09:09 AM
This is fantastic! :D
O soooooo want one!

Whats the news on Leopard and SSE4?
Do you think Apple can send out a 10.5.xx patch that replaces relevant core parts of the os, that are recompiled for the new instruction set?
What do you guys think?

Mad Mac Maniac
Jan 8, 2008, 09:10 AM
Wow, updating two products a week before Macworld? I guess that means they've got LOTS of good stuff in store for Macworld and don't want people to be distracted by these meager updates... :D

sconnor99
uk store back up.

oh no it's not!

budward
I made a deal with my fiancee that if I was to sell my 1 yr. old Mac Pro

- Dual 2.66, 4GB Ram, 750GB HDD (3 drives), Dual Optical/DVD, Bluetooth

That I can get the new Mac Pro, but I'd really like to keep it. If only I could afford to have both, I'd use the older one for a slick linux server running Xen.

How much you guys think I should ask for my old Mac Pro if I decide to sell it?
I have no idea really.

Octobot
Jan 8, 2008, 09:11 AM
This is fantastic! :D
O soooooo want one!

Whats the news on Leopard and SSE4?
Do you think Apple can send out a 10.5.xx patch that replaces relevant core parts of the os, that are recompiled for the new instruction set?
What do you guys think?

Ya 10.5.2, will do.. if it isn't already capable.. that is.

Modjo
Jan 8, 2008, 09:13 AM
Perhaps I should've explained my thoughts in more detail. If, for example, a Blu-Ray player become the default drive on all Macs, I think the new Mac Pros will ship with them.

I think it would be quite odd if they do announce something like this next week, but I susect that if they do, it will play out as I've suggested.

Until the store is up, it's all speculation, Hi Def may very well be a BTO option.

Ok, we have to wait for the store to be up again to be absolutely sure.
But why on earth would they want to hold back on that info in the press release?

EDIT: it's up in Belgium, no HD-drives as expected.
This monster goes for nearly 20.000€ full option :D (without monitors)

lamina
Jan 8, 2008, 09:14 AM
... talk about anticlimactic.

takao
Jan 8, 2008, 09:14 AM
austrian store up

euro price for the base model: 2.499 euro so we finally got adjusted a bit

for the single CPu option it's -450 euro

8800GT is costing +180 euro

nickane
Jan 8, 2008, 09:15 AM
no new displays it seems.

2799$ = £1749

£2k for best value setup

8-core 2.8
500gb drive
2gb ram
8800gt

sounds pretty reasonable to me

shipping in 3-5 weeks, plenty of time for them to bung a bluray in there if Apple announce it next week.

given the weight of the warner announcement, an apple announcement would not get made on the mac pro page.

deathshrub
Jan 8, 2008, 09:16 AM
THIS IS SO FREAKING AWESOME.

THANK YOU APPLE! :)

:apple:

nickane
Jan 8, 2008, 09:16 AM
oh no it's not!

still working for me.

budward
Jan 8, 2008, 09:17 AM
I'm curious to see what I can get one of these babies for with my developer discount. Usually it's 20%.

I for sure don't want the stock ATI vid card. I hate ATI since I dual-boot with linux. NVidia has better linux driver support.

(Anyone have ideas for my previous post)

imacdaddy
I think I need to change my alias now. Is macprodaddy taken? :D

Pressure
Danish price has gone down to reflect the pathetic dollar ;) :cool:

musicforme
To confirm, memory from the prior Mac Pros will work in refreshed ones?

I plan to order 4 GB of additional ram for the box.

diamond.g
I'm curious as to how the SAS drives work in the SATA bays. I know the connectors are similar but how does the logic board switch between SAS and SATA. I always thought SAS needed to be added with a PCI-E card.

AFAIK SAS is "backwards compatible" with SATA. Which is cool cause you don't want to use expensive SAS drives for just plain storage. You only want to use those drives for stuff that you need real fast, like when you are editing HD video.

Thomas421
The Belgian store is up again:
- NO High Def
- Same Cinemadisplay Prices
- Raid has dropped 200euros
- Airportcard is now wireless N

Carl Spackler
Jan 8, 2008, 09:18 AM
Ok, we have to wait for the store to be up again to be absolutely sure.
But why on earth would they want to hold back on that info in the press release?

I wouldn't make sense to me either. I was initially just commenting on a potential situation another poster specualted upon. Really, it's all just meaningless banter.

Looks like no hi def drive BTO in the New Zealand Store.

oliverlubin
Jan 8, 2008, 09:18 AM
exactly! we dont know the shipping times (you say 3-5 weeks is showing for your store) so what's to prevent apple from adding Blu-ray as BTO option at MWSF? Anyone who placed an order can call and have it updated. They're holding it back is my guess.

no new displays it seems.

2799$ = £1749

£2k for best value setup

8-core 2.8
500gb drive
2gb ram
8800gt

sounds pretty reasonable to me

shipping in 3-5 weeks, plenty of time for them to bung a bluray in there if Apple announce it next week.

given the weight of the warner announcement, an apple announcement would not get made on the mac pro page.

diamond.g
Jan 8, 2008, 09:19 AM
To confirm, memory from the prior Mac Pros will work in refreshed ones?

I plan to order 4 GB of additional ram for the box.

It should work, but all memory in the box will run at the slower speed (533 vs 800 mhz).

BenRoethig
As well you should.

I'm terribly disappointed that Apple didn't have the gamer in mind when they upgraded their pro tower. Silly Apple. And the graphics card upgrades are pathetic. 1.5GB on a card? Weak.

Sorry to say, but Apple under Jobs really only understands those with more minimal tasks who prefer design over function and the really high end super pros. Anyone left in between is going to have to settle for something that is below or above their performance and price ranges. Games and the like are one of those things that 'normal people' do that the counter culture element of this platform wants nothing to do with.

Thomas421
exactly! we dont know the shipping times (you say 3-5 weeks is showing for your store) so what's to prevent apple from adding Blu-ray as BTO option at MWSF? Anyone who placed an order can call and have it updated. They're holding it back is my guess.

2-3 working days here in Belgium

in other words: ready to ship

hanoimac
Jan 8, 2008, 09:20 AM
First step: stealing thunder from CES 2008 :rolleyes:

taeclee99
Jan 8, 2008, 09:21 AM
anyone know if the nvidia 8800 video card will work in the older model mac pro? I would hate to upgrade to the newer mac pro just to get this card.

iBunny
Jan 8, 2008, 09:22 AM
I beleive that the "One more thing" announcement at MacWorld will be Blu-Ray support, and all MacPro's that were just released will have a Blu-Ray writer. It is the new "Super Drive" or whatever.

Also, these MacPro's will ship accordingly :D

A Blu-Ray writer would be worth the extra $200 right? I think this is a Sign.

budward
Grr.. enough said.

ZLurker
Ya 10.5.2, will do.. if it isn't already capable.. that is.

That would be soo sweet :)

BTW In sweden its 5days on stock order, 3-5weeks on anything else

Loa
Jan 8, 2008, 09:23 AM
Oh quit your whining. This is a fine update. They are using the latest and greatest chips Intel has to offer. What were you hoping for exactly?

Hello,

Nothing has significantly changed. Except the price/performance ratio. And that's only because, as someone else said somewhere on this forum, it was 500+ days old.

What made you go wow??? In the past I remember Steve's presentation of the PowerMacs being filled with WoWs! and Ooohhs!

Where were they?

What overwhelmed you?

Nisaea

earthsick
Jan 8, 2008, 09:23 AM

mactimus prime

joemama
Jan 8, 2008, 09:24 AM
Like people have already said - this will make January 15th even better!

Get this "minor" things out of the way for the big announcements.

That, or Apple needed some new news as their stock has dropped $25 dollar over the past few days....

BenRoethig
anyone know if the nvidia 8800 video card will work in the older model mac pro? I would hate to upgrade to the newer mac pro just to get this card.

Assuming they offer it standalone, PCI-E 2.0 cards are backwards compatible with 1.0 slots.

Data
I was hoping for a lower priced 8 core machiene and by what i hear thats exactly what i got.

I think multicore is the way to go ,to get more speed out of all apps that need more speed.

I am also very happy they did not chance the design of the pro, because i realy think they could not make it any better then it is( ok maybe 6 drives instead of 4 ;-) ), it's just perfect IMHO.

Now i just need a buyer for my Dual 2,7 G5 ......And all my savings ;-).

Blue Velvet
Jan 8, 2008, 09:25 AM
Sorry to say, but Apple under Jobs really only understands those with more minimal tasks who prefer design over function and the really high end super pros. Anyone left in between is going to have to settle for something that is below or above their performance and price ranges. Games and the like are one of those things that 'normal people' do that the counter culture element of this platform wants nothing to do with.

jsw's sarcasm clearly went over your head. ;)

Loa
Jan 8, 2008, 09:26 AM
THIS IS SO FREAKING AWESOME.

THANK YOU APPLE! :)

:apple:

I hope this was sarcasm...

Nisaea