Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muticere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Like, a CDRW with stuff on it that I can put on other computers or as a back-up. Like text documents and such. On the PC, it was so simple. All you needed was the right software and it could be done by drag and click. But the mac? It seems so elusive. Help, please?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
On the Mac, you drag the files to teh disk, when your finished, you got to File-> Burn Disc... That will actually copy the files and make the burn.

TEG

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
very simple. drag whatever you want on the cd onto the disc icon on your desktop (like moving anything to a folder). then eject the disc. it will start the burning process.

::edit::
argh. simul-post. but still.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Re: How do you burn a data CD?

Originally posted by muticere
Like, a CDRW with stuff on it that I can put on other computers or as a back-up. Like text documents and such. On the PC, it was so simple. All you needed was the right software and it could be done by drag and click. But the mac? It seems so elusive. Help, please?

It is very easy - if you know it. When inserting an empty CD there is a window with which program you want to open this CD. Select the finder. Then you get a Image on your desktop. Now just move all the stuff you want on that CD onto.

And then just burn it. Simple as that.

muticere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
I have no window or anything. The CD is not on the desktop. More help please.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
maybe this guy doesn't have a cd burner...

anyways...does anybody still use toast? is there any point? for straight burning data and music cds, just the os is fine.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Re: Re: How do you burn a data CD?

Originally posted by CmdrLaForge
It is very easy - if you know it. When inserting an empty CD there is a window with which program you want to open this CD. Select the finder. Then you get a Image on your desktop. Now just move all the stuff you want on that CD onto.

And then just burn it. Simple as that.

OK. CDRW. Ooopps. Sorry - haven't read it exactly. With a CDRW its not that simple. I think you need Toast to use them. As far as I know you cannot use just the OS to add stuff to a CDRW without deleting the whole CDRW. But Toast is a really nice App. Should be possible with Toast (I have never tried)

Cheers

muticere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Toast, huh? Okay, I'll get Toast.

And yes I do have a CD burner, oldschool. I can make music CDs just fine with iTunes.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by oldschool

anyways...does anybody still use toast? is there any point? for straight burning data and music cds, just the os is fine.

absolutely. toast is great if you have to make multiple copies of the same thing and the info is not all in one place. or if you need to burn something like a movie that needs all the space on the cd (for some reason toast lets you put more info on a cd than the dusc burning utility)

Java

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Marin County (where else?)
Toast rocks

I rcommend trying to use Disk Copy's burn feature. Try this:

- Open up Disc Copy from your utilities folder
- Create a disc image (CD size 650-700mb)
- Copy your files into the mounted disc image
- After you are done, un-mount your disc image you just see the file filename.dmg
- Go back into disc copy and choose file --> burn image
- Select your disc image from the desktop and you're off to the races.

Hope this works. I'd thought this would be a toast alternative for the time being instead of buying Toast.

-Java

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
As far as I know, you should still be able to burn CD-RW discs from the Finder, but all the unused space will be lost because it actually burns the free space.

First, go to the "CDs & DVDs" preference pane in System Preferences. For "When you insert a blank CD", make sure it says "Ask what to do". Also, make sure your CD burner is on this list of supported drives. If it isn't, it may still work, so continue.

Now, insert a *blank* CD into your CD burner. A window should pop up once it loads (it may take about 10-20 seconds for the CD to spin up and mount), asking you with what to open it. Select "Finder" in the popup menu, and type in a name for your CD. Then press "OK". After a bit, an icon should appear on your desktop that looks like a CD and says "CDR" on it (even for a CD-RW disc).

Now, just drag all the stuff you want to burn to the CD icon. After you've copied the files, you can still open up the CD like it was already burned, but you can rearrange all the files before they are actually burned.

Now, click and drag on the CD icon. If you have your Dock visible, you'll notice it will change to a burn icon. Drag it to the burn icon and let go. Alternatively, you can just press Command-E to eject the disk, but it will ask you if you want to burn it first.

In the dialog that asks if you really want to burn the CD, select "Maximum Possible" from the speed popup menu, and then press "Burn".

Like I said before, this will lose all the free space on the CD. You can use Disk Utility instead to burn CDs without the free space, so you can burn multiple sessions on your CD-RW or CD-R.

To erase a CD-RW, go to /Applications/Utilities , and open up Disk Utility. Select the entry on the left side of the window that corresponds to the CD. Make sure it says the name of the actual CD, and that you're not clicking on the entry for the CD burner drive.

Now, click on the Erase tab, and press the "Erase" button. Once the erasing is done, it'll act just like a blank CD, and you can reinsert it into the CD burner and it will ask you again what to do with it.

Hope that helps.

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
This is really handy! I didn't know I could burn CDs in the Finder... I always did it in Disk Copy. But if you just want to do a quick backup of some files, this Finder method works great! (I just tried it).

I love that I've been using OS X for almost 2 years and I still learn cool new things like this!

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Originally posted by simX
As far as I know, you should still be able to burn CD-RW discs from the Finder, but all the unused space will be lost because it actually burns the free space.

First, go to the "CDs & DVDs" preference pane in System Preferences. For "When you insert a blank CD", make sure it says "Ask what to do". Also, make sure your CD burner is on this list of supported drives. If it isn't, it may still work, so continue.

Now, insert a *blank* CD into your CD burner. A window should pop up once it loads (it may take about 10-20 seconds for the CD to spin up and mount), asking you with what to open it. Select "Finder" in the popup menu, and type in a name for your CD. Then press "OK". After a bit, an icon should appear on your desktop that looks like a CD and says "CDR" on it (even for a CD-RW disc).

Now, just drag all the stuff you want to burn to the CD icon. After you've copied the files, you can still open up the CD like it was already burned, but you can rearrange all the files before they are actually burned.

Now, click and drag on the CD icon. If you have your Dock visible, you'll notice it will change to a burn icon. Drag it to the burn icon and let go. Alternatively, you can just press Command-E to eject the disk, but it will ask you if you want to burn it first.

In the dialog that asks if you really want to burn the CD, select "Maximum Possible" from the speed popup menu, and then press "Burn".

Like I said before, this will lose all the free space on the CD. You can use Disk Utility instead to burn CDs without the free space, so you can burn multiple sessions on your CD-RW or CD-R.

To erase a CD-RW, go to /Applications/Utilities , and open up Disk Utility. Select the entry on the left side of the window that corresponds to the CD. Make sure it says the name of the actual CD, and that you're not clicking on the entry for the CD burner drive.

Now, click on the Erase tab, and press the "Erase" button. Once the erasing is done, it'll act just like a blank CD, and you can reinsert it into the CD burner and it will ask you again what to do with it.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the details. I tought thats exactly what I described earlier. But maybe I was not detailed enough.

Cheers

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Originally posted by CmdrLaForge
Thanks for the details. I tought thats exactly what I described earlier. But maybe I was not detailed enough.

Cheers

Yeah, sometimes I find it helps people to just be as descriptive as possible, and make sure you check prefs and stuff. I basically said what you said, except for the part about erasing CD-RWs. :)

jimnjack

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2003
Error Code 3 when burning DATA to a CD-RW

These are all great instructions and exactly as I am doing, but I keep getting an Error code 3 when trying to burn my Illustrator files to a CD=RW so I can take them to school and work on them. I have a 9 month old 15" flat panel IMac 512 RAM, 80 GIG HD, w/SuperDrive. I'm doing exactly as you guys describe, but when I drag the CD-RW icon into my burn icon, it pretends to be burning but then pops up a window saying Error Code 3. I can't change my burn speed. Maximum speed is the only thing highlighted and it doesn't let me choose any of the other speeds it shows. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. P.S. I have been able to burn music to CD's in iTunes. FYI.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by baby duck monge
very simple. drag whatever you want on the cd onto the disc icon on your desktop (like moving anything to a folder). then eject the disc. it will start the burning process.

::edit::
argh. simul-post. but still.

Since when? This news to me. I'm not being sarcastic here. I really didn't know. I've always been able to drag and drop files to a CD with XP at work. But could not do it on my Mac. If it's an OS X feature that would explain it as I'm new to OS X.

Please forgive me. I feel so ashamed. :(

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Re: Error Code 3 when burning DATA to a CD-RW

Originally posted by jimnjack
These are all great instructions and exactly as I am doing, but I keep getting an Error code 3 when trying to burn my Illustrator files to a CD=RW so I can take them to school and work on them. I have a 9 month old 15" flat panel IMac 512 RAM, 80 GIG HD, w/SuperDrive. I'm doing exactly as you guys describe, but when I drag the CD-RW icon into my burn icon, it pretends to be burning but then pops up a window saying Error Code 3. I can't change my burn speed. Maximum speed is the only thing highlighted and it doesn't let me choose any of the other speeds it shows. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. P.S. I have been able to burn music to CD's in iTunes. FYI.

Maybe the CD is dud. Just a thought.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Re: Error Code 3 when burning DATA to a CD-RW

Originally posted by jimnjack
These are all great instructions and exactly as I am doing, but I keep getting an Error code 3 when trying to burn my Illustrator files to a C.....

Have you looked into help or on Apples support page what error code 3 means ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.