PDA

View Full Version : DRM-Free Music Plays for Microsoft. Sorry, Apple

MacBytes
Jan 8, 2008, 08:09 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: DRM-Free Music Plays for Microsoft. Sorry, Apple (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080108090915)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

jayducharme
Jan 8, 2008, 09:02 AM
Well since this column is titled "Microsoft Watch," we can guess its agenda. There were a couple of interesting statements.

Apple's music business model is about end-to-end control

Well, yes and no. The controls were put in place at the insistence of the music industry, which had no interest in selling online content. Apple pioneered online music sales and spearheaded the method for successfully doing it. If the music companies hadn't insisted on DRM, Apple wouldn't have implemented it.

Competing music stores offer DRM subscription services that run on most other music players, but not iPod.

Really, now...are millions upon millions of iPod users going to suddenly ditch their iPods and rush out to buy a Zune because of other online offerings? My son had a Zune for a few months and finally got sick of it. The thing kept crashing; he kept losing his music and had to reinstall everything. (Sort of like a PC....) So he just got himself an iPod Touch and is much happier.

It doesn't matter what services are offered or what devices are sold -- the keys are the interface and the user experience.

Yvan256
Jan 8, 2008, 09:36 AM
Does Joe realize that he just wrote something online about wasting 2000$?

shadowfax
Jan 8, 2008, 09:56 AM
No, the LABELS are the big winners with DRM free. I think they will see their sales seriously improve. Apple doesn't need the iTunes stores to sell iPods like hot cakes. Most consumers still want iPods to play their Amazon DRM-free MP3s.

So, Zing to your stupid Zune. You're one of the 10 people that bought one, Joe.

superleccy
Jan 8, 2008, 10:02 AM
Surely the consumers are the big winners here... even the iPod owners and us Appleheads. We're getting what we've always wanted... legal DRM-free music from a choice of online retailers. It'd be a shame if iTunes took a financial hit, but I'm sure SJ saw this coming, and Apple aren't exactly short of a bob or two right now.

And doesn't Joe realise he could've just burnt his collection to Audio CD and re-ripped? Sure it would've taken a while, but $2000 is a lot of money...

SL

Orng
Jan 8, 2008, 10:08 AM
As I posted below the article, if this guy has the luxury to throw away $2000 worth of music, (assuming that's not just hyperbole), and he calls himself a music fan, then surely he could afford to donate $2000 to one of those programs, either at home or abroad, that helps underprivileged kids get funding for musical education and instruments.

THAT would be a tangible and meaningful contribution to the future of music.

ntg
Jan 8, 2008, 10:17 AM
I read the article, and wondered why I wasted my time, and then wondered why Joe wasted his time writing it.

What an idiot he makes of himself...

just "Why, Joe?"

Nig.
:confused:

Silencio
Jan 8, 2008, 11:26 AM
You can always count on Joe Wilcox for classic, clueless shillery.

The biggest loser in the industry-wide abandonment of DRM in online music sales is... MICROSOFT! They wanted to control the whole enchilada with their DRM schemes and want to make money on every WMA sold; Apple got into a position of control without really wanting it, they make the vast majority of their music-related profits off iPod sales, anyway. More DRM-free MP3 content equals more choices of content for people to put on their iPods.

mainstreetmark
Jan 8, 2008, 11:47 AM
I bet if I told the author I was listening to an MP3 on my iPod I did NOT purchase from Apple, he's accuse me of "jailbreaking" it, because, you know, he's a hip journalist.

imagineer2000
Jan 8, 2008, 02:09 PM
It never ceases to amaze me the clueless, breathless media types who hype up any threat to the iTunes Music Store, like Apple's entire revenue stream depends on it. (It doesn't) When Steve Jobs unveiled the music store, Apple readily admitted that its purpose was to provide content and was not intended as a revenue maker, but to feed iPod sales. Apple makes money from iPods - iPods help sell macs. That plan succeeded on a fantastic scale. DRM-free may give the lonely Zune owner more songs to choose from, but every single iPod ever sold can also play DRM-free MP3s. Apple did before and still needs to win on design and industrial use. I recently bought Pink Floyd's "Umma Gumma" from Amazon - Amazon's downloader loaded it right into iTunes. Seamless is beautiful. With DRM-free, everybody wins.:D

solvs
Jan 8, 2008, 03:09 PM
I wonder if he also realizes that the Zune is a closed system. It doesn't play Plays For Sure, MS DRM'ed WMA. Or that Apple doesn't care if you buy MP3s, as long as you put them on your iPod. Either he doesn't, making him clueless, or he does, making him dishonest.

apsterling
Jan 8, 2008, 05:47 PM
And either way, what the hell do we expect from JOURNALISTS.