PDA

View Full Version : Is this a great find




mac15
Apr 22, 2002, 06:39 PM
I went to a furniture store the other day
and there was a Apple imagewriter
and an Apple llcg or something like that

but are these items worth anything cause I'll ask the store if I can have em



Hemingray
Apr 22, 2002, 07:08 PM
Apple IIgs maybe? That was the last Apple II model made. Is it in good shape? Ask 'em how much they want for it! It may not be that valuable money-wise, but us Mac enthusiasts, well, you know... ;)

Mr. Anderson
Apr 22, 2002, 08:47 PM
Always go onto ebay and see how much they're going for to get an idea of their worth. Its not always accurate, but its what people are willing to pay. Also a quick search online might term up something.

blakespot
Apr 22, 2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Hemingray
Apple IIgs maybe? That was the last Apple II model made. Is it in good shape? Ask 'em how much they want for it! It may not be that valuable money-wise, but us Mac enthusiasts, well, you know... ;)
Actually, the Apple IIe was the last model sold. That is, the platinum IIe that had the numeric keypad...

http://a2central.com/features/models/plat_iie/images/full.jpg

...it came out after the IIgs and was the last existing II when it was finally canned. I am not sure whether this version of the IIe or the //c+ (with 3.5" floppy drive) came out first -- one of those two was the last II introduced, both after the IIgs.



blakespot

Beej
Apr 22, 2002, 10:45 PM
Man, IIe's rocked. Oh how I miss black and green screens! :)

Hemingray
Apr 23, 2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by blakespot

Actually, the Apple IIe was the last model sold. That is, the platinum IIe that had the numeric keypad...

I meant the last of the II series, really... since the IIe was initially introduced before the IIgs. But technically, you're right. :D

menoinjun
Apr 23, 2002, 12:38 PM
The Apple IIe was the first Apple that I ever used! I remember learning to touch type on it and playing Oregon Trail!! Those were the days. My school even had tablets with wired pens to do CAD on!!

-Pete

Hemingray
Apr 23, 2002, 01:06 PM
LOL... Oregon Trail!! Good God, those were the days.

"Mary has died of Typhoid."

I was the sadistic one... I'd name everyone in my wagon train after people I didn't like in my class and let them die off one by one... :D

And just for the sake of bringing back some truly awful memories, how many people remember Sticky Bear? Or Math Blasters? Or Turtle Tracks? :D :shudder:

Ensign Paris
Apr 23, 2002, 01:17 PM
The Apple II is a great machine, I really love them! I have one in my collection somewhere. I am not sure what the exact name is, I will go find out soon.

A guy at our local apple centre took 7 Apple IIe 'up the tip' cause he didn't have enough space for them, he did even ring me first!

Ensign

blakespot
Apr 23, 2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
A guy at our local apple centre took 7 Apple IIe 'up the tip' cause he didn't have enough space for them, he did even ring me first!

Ensign
Sounds rather painful. (Bad mental picture....)



blakespot

mc68k
Apr 23, 2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Hemingray
LOL... Oregon Trail!! Good God, those were the days.


Yeah, seems like a whole generation of kids grew up on MECC games (Oregon Trail, Number Munchers, Where in the World is Carmen SanDiego, etc.) on the Apple //"x" series of computers. They're probably still around in schools aomewhere, waiting to become "obsolete". I remember doing some typing exercise and asking the teacher where the "q" key was, because I couldn't find it. Now I'm a comp tech, go figure.

I remember playing Oregon Trail. I eventually got sick of the intended story line and used it as a third-person shooter. I was the banker so i could start off with the most $ for supplies— then I would max out on ammo. When it was time to go on the trail, I would stop and hit "8" for hunt, and just shoot animals. Too bad you could only carry back ~100# of meat because my screen looked like a massacre!

Memories...memories....

blakespot
Apr 23, 2002, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by mc68k


Yeah, seems like a whole generation of kids grew up on MECC games (Oregon Trail, Number Munchers, Where in the World is Carmen SanDiego, etc.) on the Apple //x series of computers.
Apple //x!! You've heard too! It will have a 65832 CPU, internal 3.5"drive, 2MB RAM standard, and support interlaced video! Also it will have 16-bit audio a special gfx mode where it can display all 4096 colors onscreen at once!

(Are you old enough to remember?)



blakespot

mc68k
Apr 23, 2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by blakespot

Apple //x!! You've heard too! It will have a 65832 CPU, internal 3.5"drive, 2MB RAM standard, and support interlaced video! Also it will have 16-bit audio a special gfx mode where it can display all 4096 colors onscreen at once!

(Are you old enough to remember?)



blakespot

What I meant was //"x"— like the x being the variable. We had a lab with //e's //c's and a IIgs. I did not want to be exclusive to any one of these groups of Apple II's, without listing them all. Sorry if that came off wrong. I grew up with Apple IIs until I went into HS, where they had Macs instead.

Sometimes I wish I could have been born eariler so I could have seen the birth of the computer revolution. Sadly, it was the other way around— my birth saw the early computer revolution. I wasn't a Mac freak until 1995 when I got my first Mac (a Performa). But some things one can not help, and age is DEFINITELY one of them. I sometimes like to think that in these 7 years I have soaked up more computer knowledge than some people many times my senior, who have had more time than I/lived through the revoultion.

Apple //'s are one of the only true links of the personal computer revolution that I can share with older "nerds".

IndyGopher
Apr 24, 2002, 12:16 AM
How old do I sound if I think VisiCalc and Austin 80-column cards when old 8 (and 16) bits are mentioned, instead of 'Oregon Trail' and other games?

blakespot
Apr 24, 2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by mc68k


What I meant was //"x"— like the x being the variable. We had a lab with //e's //c's and a IIgs. I did not want to be exclusive to any one of these groups of Apple II's, without listing them all. Sorry if that came off wrong. I grew up with Apple IIs until I went into HS, where they had Macs instead.


Bah...

You you lose.

:-)




blakespot

ntg
May 15, 2002, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by IndyGopher
How old do I sound if I think VisiCalc and Austin 80-column cards when old 8 (and 16) bits are mentioned, instead of 'Oregon Trail' and other games?

You can't be that old, 'cause even I remember (and still have in storage) my first II+ and EuroPlus machines (one with 40 column card and green screen, and one with 80-column card and an "amber" screen). I used to run Archon II (adept) and TaiPan mostly, but weren't they so much faster when the 'new' IIe and enhanced IIe came out? :D :rolleyes:

thecube84
Jul 30, 2002, 09:48 AM
Still have my apple //c!!! Its so small and cool!!!

anyway i grew up on apples too playing oregon trail AND math blasters AND where in the world is carmen sandiego!! im 14 now, and i Play Unreal Tournament, Red Faction, etc.

:D

topicolo
Aug 15, 2002, 02:07 PM
Oh man, I remember first touching a IIe in grade 2. Those machines kicked ass. We were all playing logo (I think that's the name of the program where u give a turtle directions and it draws stuff onscreen). We then got "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago?" That was hella fun :).
In grade 3 I saw my first mac... a Mac Plus. It was love at first sight--I got a Mac LC II the year after and I was the coolest kid on the block! 4megs of ram, a 12" color monitor with 256 colors, a screaming 16Mhz 68030 and 40Mb of storage!
I remember dialing up to BBSes with my 2400baud modem and trying to download all the games, but they were all pc. Then one day I truly found a gem...but you guys don't want to hear my life's story right? ;)

ibookin'
Aug 23, 2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Hemingray
LOL... Oregon Trail!! Good God, those were the days.

"Mary has died of Typhoid."

I was the sadistic one... I'd name everyone in my wagon train after people I didn't like in my class and let them die off one by one... :D

And just for the sake of bringing back some truly awful memories, how many people remember Sticky Bear? Or Math Blasters? Or Turtle Tracks? :D :shudder:

Haha. I remember all those games. I played them on peecees, though. I was around 4 and my family had just bought a 486. Sticky Bear may have been on a Mac, though. Did they make Sticky Bear for Windows? I don't remember Turtle Tracks, though. Math Blaster was a great game. I still have Oregon Trail, but it's "Oregon Trail 3" and comes on 3 CD-ROMs.

While we're on the subject of old games how many people played Logical Journey of the Zoombinis? It's not quite as old-school as the games listed above, but I play it on my Quadra 650 for a bit of nostalgia. Runs great on 64MBs of RAM and System 8.1.

5300cs
Nov 24, 2002, 08:01 PM
I remember Math Blasters.
Does anyone remember Word Attack from the same series?
Sorry to mention a pc game, but does anyone know Adventures in Math? I used to play that on my PC XT.

There's updated versions of Oregon Trail now.. but it's just not the same ...

-- I played another eductional game many moons ago on the IIgs but cannot remember the name: you were in a department store and the manager lost a diamond (I think) you had to go around the store to different departments and ask people questions and find out who stole it. It was all wireframe graphics. Does anyone know the name??

(Sorrry if this is posted in the wrong place.)

Royal Pineapple
Nov 26, 2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Hemingray
LOL... Oregon Trail!! Good God, those were the days.

"Mary has died of Typhoid."

I was the sadistic one... I'd name everyone in my wagon train after people I didn't like in my class and let them die off one by one... :D

And just for the sake of bringing back some truly awful memories, how many people remember Sticky Bear? Or Math Blasters? Or Turtle Tracks? :D :shudder:
Math Blasters hell yes
always a fan
wow back in the days.

MrMacMan
Nov 26, 2002, 08:18 PM
If they are worth alot I am intrested.
Cause I can get 10 of them easily. For free or less.

GeeYouEye
Nov 26, 2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by topicolo
Oh man, I remember first touching a IIe in grade 2. Those machines kicked ass. We were all playing logo (I think that's the name of the program where u give a turtle directions and it draws stuff onscreen). We then got "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago?" That was hella fun :).
In grade 3 I saw my first mac... a Mac Plus. It was love at first sight--I got a Mac LC II the year after and I was the coolest kid on the block! 4megs of ram, a 12" color monitor with 256 colors, a screaming 16Mhz 68030 and 40Mb of storage!
I remember dialing up to BBSes with my 2400baud modem and trying to download all the games, but they were all pc. Then one day I truly found a gem...but you guys don't want to hear my life's story right? ;)

You do know logo is a programming language, right?

Ah, I remember the good old days... oregon trail for Apple II and Mac, super munchers, armor ally (now if only there was a hack to get my iMac or iBook screen to B&W or 16 colors - it's STILL a fun game, one of the first networkable ones... hehe... armor alley over airport... mmm....) all those... sadly those days are long past, and me without enough money for even UT.

Jimong5
Nov 26, 2002, 10:07 PM
beleve it or not.. my school had working Apple IIs in classrooms just 5 short years ago.. I remember one having Apple IIs and the next room having Bondi iMacs.. crazy! Oregon Trail was awesome.. I wish I had it to play again....

mc68k
Nov 27, 2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by mac15
I went to a furniture store the other day
and there was a Apple imagewriter
and an Apple llcg or something like that

but are these items worth anything cause I'll ask the store if I can have em The IKEA here in San Diego has a bunch of old macs. For the original mac II through some later 68k and early 601-based machines.

just thought i'd reply since someone draged this one up

AssassinOfGates
Nov 27, 2002, 09:50 PM
Ah yes, those were the days. The school used em all the time until got into 2nd grade, when they bought LCIII's. Before they upgraded I had a LC, with a IIe card. Good times. Snake, Oregon Trail, Number Munchers and Math Blaster were my favorites. Later on the librarian got a mac LC 475, so she gave me (i was the only mac fanatic back then, guess I still am in my school) her Mac Classic and a bunch of old IIe programs like Cave.

'Tis a shame tho. The IIe card in my LC could not save data for some reason, so after i spent my first 3 hours typing a program i saw in a book, i could only play it once. *single tear rolls down cheek*

trainguy77
Apr 22, 2004, 09:18 PM
Still have my apple //c!!! Its so small and cool!!!

anyway i grew up on apples too playing oregon trail AND math blasters AND where in the world is carmen sandiego!! im 14 now, and i Play Unreal Tournament, Red Faction, etc.

:D

I am 13 and i still own oregon trail, math blaster and carmen sandiego.(somme where? :) )

Hemingray
Apr 23, 2004, 10:55 AM
I am 13 and i still own oregon trail, math blaster and carmen sandiego.(somme where? :) )

Awesome! hondo11008 over in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=62456) was kind enough to give me Oregon Trail to play. Talk about memories! Now that I can spend all the time I want playing the game (instead of the 10 minutes or whatever the teacher used to give us back in 2nd grade) I've beaten it several times on every level. It's no longer a challenge, so I decided to ******* around with it:

I started off a game, and the first thing I did was kill off the four other members of my party of starvation. Then, I set my rations to "bare bones" and went off hunting. Then I rested. And rested. And rested. Now it's July 1917, and amazingly I'm still alive! Considering I set out for the Oregon Trail back in March 1848, that's quite a feat. I'm going to keep going and see how far ahead the date can go. :D

Oh, and once in awhile I like to mix things up and massacre every animal in sight. One time I think I shot like 4 elk, 5 buffalo, and 6 deer or something. "You have shot 3,728 pounds of food, but were only able to fit 6 more pounds of food back into your wagon." Good times!! ;)

mohlhausen
May 27, 2004, 09:23 AM
I have in our piles of stuff too many things, included are 2 Apple IIe complete computers, monitors, drives and all, both have various upgrades, Disk2 cards, Grabber+ card, Super Serial, 80 column text, and on and on, PILES of software, disks, manuals, original paperwork, flyiers, sales brochures, etc. Both systems work to varying degrees, ( I cant remember commands...age getting to me). Also Very interesting Apple IIc, the very tiny one with a ??5 inch ?? monitor, (or there-abouts). Never tryied this one. It was supposed to be the answer to sales counters. We could fill your Crown Vic's trunk if you drove to Covington Wa. You come get it, you can have it. Soon to be found at GoodWill, (they will junk it :( ). E-mail me at nwws@nwwebsiteservices.com. I also have other old stuff from TI-99 to Atari 130xe, with 2 drives, lots software, oss+ cart and more. Free to any good home!

GeeYouEye
May 27, 2004, 11:48 AM
^ If that wasn't a ten hour drive, I'd take it

themadchemist
Jun 8, 2004, 12:32 AM
If they are worth alot I am intrested.
Cause I can get 10 of them easily. For free or less.

"For free or less?"

Hmmm...