PDA

View Full Version : I need 2 seconds of help: Please!

joelc73
Oct 9, 2003, 08:21 AM
My new 15" Al PowerBook makes a faint, but consistent buzzing sound when the machine is put to sleep. If you put your ear right up to the case underneath the CD drive, you can hear it.

I'm not sure if this is a defect or if they all do it. Could someone please listen to theirs and let me know if they hear anything?

I really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

WilliamGates
Oct 9, 2003, 11:09 AM
Just a few clicks from the hard drive and its asleep. But I have a Rev A 17". I wouldn't worry, some folks snore and some don't during sleep.

BE WARNED: If you send it in for repair for such a minor fault that will be reason to worry times ten. Anything can happen to your 15" from scraping the lid to broken USB ports which happened when I had my 15" Ti. I had to send it in 5 consecutive times before they stopped breaking and damaging things on it and finally got it right. Take my advice; if it doesn't cause a serious problem then just live with it until something more serious occurs. Remember you have at least a 1 year warranty.

Does your 15" snore continually while asleep or is it only for a brief period?

oldschool
Oct 9, 2003, 11:27 AM
is it a high pitched noise? try unplugging the power supply while its asleep. that helped mine (but my power supply was faulty....so...)

Flowbee
Oct 9, 2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by joelc73
My new 15" Al PowerBook makes a faint, but consistent buzzing sound when the machine is put to sleep. If you put your ear right up to the case underneath the CD drive, you can hear it.

If you can only hear it when your ear is "right up to the case underneath the CD drive," then I don't think it's much of a problem.

joelc73
Oct 9, 2003, 12:47 PM
Does your 15" snore continually while asleep or is it only for a brief period?
It does it perpetually. At first I thought it might be a fan that would eventually turn off, but unfortunately it never stops making this sound.

It really isn't the sound that bothers me, it's the fact that if something is still running it will still be drawing power (and as we all know, the battery life in these things is pretty absymal to begin with!)

Did anyone else have a chance to listen to theirs? If they all make this sound, I wont feel as bad. Again, you really have to put your ear up to the case directly below the CD drive.

Thanks again,

Flowbee
Oct 9, 2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by joelc73
(and as we all know, the battery life in these things is pretty absymal to begin with!)

I get 3 to 3.5 hours out of my battery when doing normal work (Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Safari, Mail). I don't consider that 'abysmal.' I've never noticed much significant battery drain when the PB is sleeping (though I've never timed how much sleep time I get).

Are you noticing that your battery drains quickly while the PB is asleep?

joelc73
Oct 9, 2003, 06:11 PM
[i]
Are you noticing that your battery drains quickly while the PB is asleep? [/B]
I'm losing 15 - 20% (+/-) over a 24 hour period. Is that normal?