PDA

View Full Version : So...Speculations?

SkyBell
Jan 8, 2008, 08:30 PM
What are your predictions for this years MacWorld?

match311
Jan 8, 2008, 08:33 PM
I predict I am going to need a lot of money to purchase any of the sweet new prodcuts :p

mac-er
Jan 8, 2008, 08:46 PM
Thin Macbook, Movie Rental, Announcement of 5 million iPhones sold

Scarlet Fever
Jan 8, 2008, 08:55 PM
What I want;
-updated ACDs. They're getting on a bit. I predict the 20" display will go at least 1080 HD, iSight and IR in all models, faster response time, contrast, etc.

-MBP updates. Penryn sounds good at the moment. 2GB RAM standard, updated HDDs, maybe 17" LED display?

-Big Mac Mini update. It could turn into the headless iMac we all want so bad. I'm not hedging any bets on this, though. If it is updated, it'll at least go SR

-MacBook Nano; ULV dual core intel chip at 1.2GHz, 802.11n, BT, up to 2GB RAM (one stick), external optical drive, 11.1" LED display. US$1499

-iTunes 7.6 brings movie rentals, games for iPhone/iPod Touch

theLimit
Jan 8, 2008, 09:08 PM
All I want are updated MacBook Pros and displays. I'll have a wad of cash come February and my ADC student subscription expires in March, so I'm ready to use that one-time hardware discount.

hatcher146
Jan 8, 2008, 09:23 PM
i'm hoping for...

a thin macbook(pro)

maybe 16 GB iPhone

movie rentals

more info on SDK for iPhone

hmmm what else? i can't think

Aperture
Jan 8, 2008, 09:34 PM
Sales/growth update
Ultra portable notebook
iTunes movie rentals & DVD digital copies
Updated/Refreshed Apple TV - Perhaps a slight price drop (To promote iTunes movie rentals)
Look into the iPhone SDK - available to developers in Feb. as planned

arn
Jan 8, 2008, 09:36 PM
- Thin MacBook
- 15"/17" MacBook Pro Revisions
- iPhone Software Update
- iTunes Rentals, Fox digital copies etc...

arn

music.addict411
Jan 8, 2008, 09:38 PM
I want them to announce the

Ultra-Portable MacBook
Movie Store Rentels (FOR CANADA ALSO)
iPhone/iPod touch games
This Article:
"Fox DVDs To Include iTunes Compatible Digital Copies?"
And more TV Shows for Canada

IEatApples
Jan 8, 2008, 10:17 PM
Updated iMac (without screen issues)… make an option for a quad! :)

I know the chance for the iMac to be updated is small, but this is what the Buyer's Guide says: Days Since Update - 154 (Avg = 185)

I'm just saying, but is it really that far-fetched that we'll see Penryn iMacs on the 15th? :confused:

… Oh, and I want the iPhone to come to Norway!!! :D

netcastle
Jan 8, 2008, 10:21 PM
This is what I hope:

A mac mini tower (basically a mini with more room for ram, 3.5" SATA slots, and better graphics) because I need one.

iPhone SDK

Ultra thin Macbook announcement

Something to do with the @TV and Blu-ray

MacBoy108
Jan 8, 2008, 10:21 PM
iBook G5 and Newton Pro.

iBunny
Jan 8, 2008, 10:29 PM
I want a 15'' MacBook Pro.
2.6GHz Penryn
1680x1050 Display
512MB of Video Memory

I will be happy to sell my current MBP which I bought in August for the Above mentioned computer.

puckhead193
Jan 8, 2008, 10:46 PM
this is what i *want*
a new design for the MBP
iphone 3g with 16 gigs available for late spring early summer. (i still like my pearl)
:apple: tv with DVR and blue-ray (HDMI)
new ACD

more likely a boring keynotes with all talk (update on mac/iphone/ipod sales a 30 min demo of the MS office, and iphone SDK :rolleyes:

Reissman
Jan 8, 2008, 10:59 PM
Do you think they will have a price reduction of anything with the introduction of new products?

Brocktoon
Jan 8, 2008, 11:27 PM
Macbook Nano
Carbon fiber "gun metal" enclosure
12" LCD screen
1GB RAM (2GB BTO)
32GB Solid State drive (64GB BTO)
Core 2 Duo Penryn 2.1 GHz (2.4 GHz BTO)
802.11n
8+ hour battery life
Multi-touch trackpad
External Optical drive

Default configuration $1499
Maxed out BTO configuration $1999

Probably no dedicated GPU, but that can't be helped...
That's what MBPs are for :rolleyes:

ezekielrage_99
Jan 9, 2008, 12:08 AM
- Thin laptop
- Macbook Pro Update
- Macbook in silver and black
- A PDA (I know we have the iPhone and iPod Touch...)
- AppleTV bump and iTunes rentals
- iTunes 7.6

iPhil
Jan 9, 2008, 12:24 AM
iTunes 7.6 is a sure bet ...

MikeTheC
Jan 9, 2008, 01:48 AM
*takes several fist-fulls of "Force Steroids"*

*casts Jedi Mind Trick on Steve Jobs*

Mac mini:
Eliminate current line up.
Introduce new unit with HDMI (include HDMI -> DVI dongle), USB -> Keyboard and Mouse PS/2 dongle.
Add FW800 port.
Offer 2.0 GHz and 2.2 GHz CPUs.
1 GB minimum RAM.
120 GB 7200 RPM SATA II desktop HDD.
2 squirrel-cage fans providing low speed, high-volume (therefore dead quiet)
Price Point: Starting at $499 and $599, respectively.

MacBook:
Shave approx. 1/16 -> 1/10 in. off thickness of units.
Keep optical drive internal.
3G module (with 2.5G fall-back) for cell-based Internet service.
Two button touch pad.
Apple to offer optional flat-panel keyboard.
Add FW800 port.

iMac:
Eliminate 20" 2.0 GHz unit.
20" and 24" bumped to 2.8 GHz.
24" also available in 3.2 GHz.
HDMI output with mini HDMI -> HDMI and DVI dongles

MacBook Pro:
Change touchpad to equal MacBook series.
3G module (with 2.5G fall-back) for cell-based Internet service.
Apple to offer optional flat-panel keyboard.

iPhone:
New units slightly thicker than older ones, however -
New units sport 3G as well as 2.5G modes, with auto-fallback.
New capacities are 20GB and 30GB.

AppleTV:
New unit offered in white, aluminum, and black case colors.
500 GB HDD.
Digital video in, optical audio outs, high-quality analog in as well
HDMI output with HDMI -> DVI dongle.
Unit is now a fully-functional DVR.

Intangible Services:
Integrate .Mac with Google's iGoogle services.
Apple to introduce bulk-rental service to compete with NetFlix

Software:
Apple licenses VB APIs from Microsoft, writes their own compatible code so that iWork '10 will provide VB relief for corporate Mac users.
Apple announces partnership with CrossOver Office to help further enhance existing CrossOver/Mac product.
Apple announces Visio-type app in development, compatible with all relevant standards.

jezza63
Jan 9, 2008, 02:47 AM
Mac Mini combined with AppleTV in a single unit

John Purple
Jan 9, 2008, 04:16 AM
New MBP with two penryns (liquid cooling :confused: ) and faster graphics
Revolutionary new user interface (other than old keyboard, mouse and/or trackpad)
Aperture 2.0 (at last :o )
New displays (in combination with newuser interface ???)

John Purple
Jan 9, 2008, 04:20 AM
New user interface:
WYThIWYG (What you think is what you get) :D:D:D:D

DHUK
Jan 9, 2008, 05:10 AM
Cheaper tracks on iTunes, at least in the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7178651.stm

kgraf6
Jan 9, 2008, 05:54 AM
These are my predictions:

Macbook Nano:
12" Multitouch Screen
32gb Solid-state hard disk
3G mobile connectivity for wireless internet access
8 hour battery
Simply a tablet (eg. Macbook cut in half); Apple Style
Mac OS X leopard Multi-touch Edition

iPhone 2.0:
3G model
16gb Storage
Also Released in Australia

Apple TV 2.0:
Dual Digital TV Tuners
EPG, time-shifting, recordings etc.
Blue-ray disc drive
Access iTunes store directly on AppleTV
Built in iPod dock
Ability to sync recordings to iPod
SDK for developers to create plugins

Mac Mini:
Complete re-design
Lower Price
Better hardware

fluidedge
Jan 9, 2008, 06:05 AM
I think it's more likely to be called iTunes 8 rather than iTunes 7.6 isn't it?

iTunes 8 with a new 'movie theater' interface type thing for watching movie rentals

AdeFowler
Jan 9, 2008, 06:14 AM
New MacBook Pros including the ultra portable
Movie Rentals
Apple TV update
iPod HiFi (seriously)

ncbill
Jan 9, 2008, 07:46 AM
There’s little point in putting flash memory in a consumer-grade notebook.

The expense is enormous (retail: 32GB SSD $250, 64GB SSD $1500 vs. $150 for a 2.5″ 250GB SATA hard drive)

Power savings don’t increase runtime significantly, since other systems use far more power than the hard drive.

The big advantage to SSD is shock resistance: great for a Toughbook, but pointless in a MacBook.

bigandy
Jan 9, 2008, 07:48 AM
The expense is enormous (retail: 32GB SSD $250, 64GB SSD $1500 vs. $150 for a 2.5″ 250GB SATA hard drive)

for apple, however, costs are substantially less for flash memory.

with the amount of memory they purchase, they are about the only company that can introduce this at a respectable price, imo.

sailortena
Jan 9, 2008, 07:59 AM
Realistically, this is want I want:

Speed/Memory/hard drive bump for iMac
Improved (or completely new) graphics card for iMac to improve gaming, photo, movies, etc.
Better features for .Mac (or lower the price)
Feature-filled new AppleTV to make me actually want to buy one

Grasbak
Jan 9, 2008, 08:28 AM
Its good to see people being relatively realistic!

Like most of the above - I think one of the main themes will be how Apple intend to win the video/film market. They have the products Apple TV / iPod Touch & iPhone - just need the content. My only thought was if the studios really dont want to give Apple everything could they just be limited to dominating the portable market?

Plus the rumored ultrathin laptop.

How about apps for the iPhone/touch - iWork mobile or something like that?

fluidedge
Jan 9, 2008, 08:29 AM
after the mac pro updates yesterday, i'm not after anything more. However, i would like to now see software improvements - Aperture2 must be due (though probably not at a consumer show) and i like think Apple might be looking to open up a new line of software - Maybe something to rival Adobe CS3? OS X doesn't even have a paint application for gods sake. Wouldn't Apple versions of photoshop/illustrator/after effects (bring back shake please!) be something cool to have a look at? Maybe thats more for WWDC?

Grasbak
Jan 9, 2008, 08:30 AM
Realistically, this is want I want:

Speed/Memory/hard drive bump for iMac
Improved (or completely new) graphics card for iMac to improve gaming, photo, movies, etc.
Better features for .Mac (or lower the price)
Feature-filled new AppleTV to make me actually want to buy one

I just think that speed bumps etc will not form part of the keynote - we will hear about new directions etc.....

i can imagine more .mac stuff to go along with new apps - tie in with touch & iphone somehow

isnt it just the content thats missing from appleTV? edit: i guess surround sound is missing!

elppa
Jan 9, 2008, 08:41 AM
I'll compile what I have put on other threds:

From Here: (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4709201#post4709201)

[1] Lot's of puff about how well Apple is doing. Good news gospel on the iPhone. Pie Charts and bar charts, some early mention of sales figures.

[2] Leopard talk — Apple haven't had an expo since the Leopard launch. Expect some interesting apps (3rd parties, almost certainly some mention of Office '08, possibly Bento) and talk of the capabilities and technologies in the new OS. We may get an update (10.5.2) and in it some surprises (whether it be QT 8, Java 6) or some iPhone technologies (error correction when typing) intergrated). Also look out for news on a how users will be exposed to the resolution independent UI. This may be particually impotant if number 5 on the list is being launch. Apple also said they'd be ready by '08.

[3] Beetles on iTunes (at last!). This will lead into the the Music section of the keynote.

[3] iTunes Movie Rentals and iTunes 8 (UPDATE: Looks more likely (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/08/fox-dvds-to-include-itunes-compatible-digital-copies/) to be a 7.6 release now.). Talk of the interplay between hardware-software, leading to the introduction of the:

[2] new TV + Apple Remote (in metal and using a similar clickwheel to the nano (you heard it here first)). Not sure were TV is headed, so I will not make too many predictions on this.

[5] MacBook Nano (possibly left to the end). It may have a pixel density considerably higher than current machines.

A bit more on this from here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4680673#post4680673):

[1] The drive will be a bus powered FW800 Super Drive. And you will pay for it, it won't be included in the box because:
[i] Some may have existing external burners they would rather use.
[ii] It would make the box bigger. Bigger, heavier boxes means more expensive shipping.
[iii] Apple will get to make even more money on each sale from people buying the matching optical drive.

[2] The ultra portable will retail for < $1600 (£1400/€1800) and be called the MacBook Nano.
[3] The MBP will get a facelift and a new keyboard to match the MacBook/new Apple Keyboard

And back to this one: (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4709201#post4709201)

That seems like enough. I have a sneaky suspicsion we may see a new app, because Apple likes writing Apps and they haven't done a new Applications in a long time (apart from Numbers). Apps are important to Apple because they drive the adoption of hardware.

Here's what we may not see:
[1] iPhone SDK, I think this may get a special event at another time.
[2] Any pro products (Mac Pro, Cinema displays) (UPDATE: Well we've already had the Mac Pro, so this is technically a correct prediction — even before the expo even begins!).

Paix247
Jan 9, 2008, 08:57 AM
Slim MacBook Pro
Redesigned Mac Mini
Larger ACD (No Redesign) & Price Drops
iTunes Movie updates (rental & DVD)

appletastic
Jan 9, 2008, 09:17 AM
Okay here goes:

- Movie rentals in HD
- Updated Apple TV software and new higher capacity drive available. Download/Stream (you watch while still downloading) film straight to Apple TV.
- DVDs ability to copy over film to mac.

- Refresh MacBook Pro line - New processors, new keyboard, updated look
- MacBook Pro small version - A pro line like the 12inch Powerbook was. Flash memory, External CD drive (who needs one anyway?)
- All with Track Anywhere pads (The traditional trackpad is no more with an invisible pad underneath the surface of the laptop) - you can click anywhere and drag anywhere..and it will ignore palms.

- No changes to iPod or iPhone hardware
- Introducing a few new third party apps for the iPhone - Maybe a dictionary, translation tool, wikipedia app.
- Announce 3rd party sdk - ready to take-away today

- No changes to MacBook line, although may add the Track Anywhere pad, update processors, screen.

- No more Mac Mini

- New cinema displays with iSight and IR (glossy?..hope not!)

Thats It!

netcastle
Jan 9, 2008, 09:21 AM
Actually, how about a more humble mini revision with a SR chipset, better graphics and an eSATA port and keep the form factor that so many of us mini users love.

Also, in addition to the other things I mentioned in my previous post lets add a QT and iTunes update that support AC3 and DTS and a DVD player update that supports Blu-ray.

I'm sure I can think of a million others and none of what I say is actually in the interest of a good prediction. I am just creating a wish list.

dongmin
Jan 9, 2008, 09:21 AM
Mac:

-MacBook Touch = thin MacBook
-processor bump on the MBPs

iTunes/iPod/iPhone:

-iTunes 8 with movie rentals
-AppleTV 2.0
-Airport Express 2.0 with HDMI and support for movie rentals
-iPhone 1.1.3 with support for movie rentals
-preview of iPhone SDK

gr8ful
Jan 9, 2008, 10:52 AM
My speculations from another thread:

I see Macworld shaping up to be all about portability, accessibility, & expanded functionality. So I expect to see:

Portability
- refresh of the mb pro laptops, possibly even a refresh of the macbooks
- iPod touch with 32gb
- the ultraportable announced and positioned in between the macbook and the mb pro
- multi-touch tablet with a 7 inch screen, 32gb ssd, wifi and bt, isight camera
- I believe Apple will wait till later in the year to announce the availability of a 3G iPhone which will come with 16gb

Accessibility
- iTunes movie rentals and expanded selection for purchase
- Ability to download movies, tv shows, podcasts, etc over wifi (iPhone, iPod touch, & tablet)

Expanded functionality
- iPhone/iPod touch update with all features that were leaked and few surprises like (ichat, copy & paste, finder w/coverflow, doc/e-book reader)
- Full preview of the SDK for the iPhone, iPod touch & new tablet
- Announcement of a number of third party apps for the iPhone & iPod touch available for download thru iTunes
- Ability to use 'back to my mac' feature with iPhone, iPod touch, & new tablet

Out-on-a-limb prediction: Announcement of iWork touch, a version of iWork for the iPhone, iPod touch, & new tablet with a reworked UI that works better with a touch interface.

geoffism
Jan 9, 2008, 10:59 AM
My needs are basic and selfish:

iPhone - 3G and 16g
MacBook Pro - bump (highly unlikely) and only cause I'm in the market.
Mac Pro - nothing. It sounds perfect and has only complicated my purchase consideration. Mac Pro vs MacBook Pro. Hmmmm....

timmell
Jan 9, 2008, 11:18 AM
1.ACD Updates (Touchscreen, iSight, Firewire 800 added ports built in, better res, contrast, etc....

2. iPhone update to 3g and 16GB model for $449 and 8GB now only $349.

3. Apple TV/Movie Deal, Rental Deal. 250GB Apple TV with 1080p output and iTunes Purchases for movies and HDTV shows, up to 720P Res. downloads.

Or at lease I hope for #1. I doubt it, but if my dream came true I would buy one and a ton of apple stock.:apple:

getalifemacfans
Jan 9, 2008, 11:48 AM

i expect a new iphone(yes i do).the current iphone i think sucks i rather buy a nokia/sony ericson.
a new mbp.ore even bether i really want that new ultraportebole with nice penryn to go.
and what about that blueray?after warner has gone for the kill in toshibas heart and the theory microsoft just want chaos in blueray/hd sales so they can sell downloaded movies from the internett-maybe apple likes that theory as well ?would not suprise me.
And if they update the macpro why dont they update the cinema displays?(look at the name "cinema" displays you really expect something juicy with that name)
but like allways apple are allways interestet in proclaming that there products state of the art some of the products are.But if the product are state of the art - the product often speaks for it selfs..and if you are interested in a new fancy screen with that macpro check out the dell glass screen thats really something.
'And what about that games?why cant apple/steve jobs close the deal with more gamedesigners so that mac/appleusers can stop playing on windows on ther mac(never gonna hapend i supouse)...
dont allways wait for apple thats my tip but i really expect something groundbreaking to hapend inn MWSF - if not i would be just as shocking(thypical apple)...

geoffism
Jan 9, 2008, 11:55 AM
i expect a new iphone(yes i do).the current iphone i think sucks i rather buy a nokia/sony ericson....

really? do you have one or is this from a distance opinion? Asking, because I am on the verge...

Cloudane
Jan 9, 2008, 12:03 PM
In terms of new stuff I think just the thin portable, as that's the only thing there's been any leaks/evidence for (the leaks usually have everything covered!)

Other than that, refreshes - in order of likelihood: MBP refresh with the new keyboard (even tho I think it'd look a bit odd if it's white), 16GB iPhone (not 3G yet), Glossy ACD option, Cheap ACD option (watch for the gradients and poor quality!), MacBook refresh, maybe some tweak to the ATV, maybe a non Glossy iMac option (just to wind up those who bought an iMac and dislike it!).

Things I don't expect them to update: the iMac (already done recently), the Mac Mini (ditto and they don't like updating it), or any of the iPods (also too soon) or the Mac Pro or XServe (that would be silly, and the place would get firebombed)

SthrnCmfrtr
Jan 9, 2008, 12:03 PM
really? do you have one or is this from a distance opinion? Asking, because I am on the verge...

I wouldn't put much faith in the opinions of a person demonstrably unable to coherently express himself.

geoffism
Jan 9, 2008, 12:09 PM
I wouldn't put much faith in the opinions of a person demonstrably unable to coherently express himself.

Always. Kind of hoping that they would come back with some definitive info.

I just saw that his screen name was "getalifemacfans". Definitely a Positive influence. ;)

gattaca
Jan 9, 2008, 12:12 PM
The only thing I care about seeing is an update to the Mac Book Pro.

But really, has anyone even heard anything about it being updated? All I've heard is that people assume it will be. Does anyone know for sure?

azentropy
Jan 9, 2008, 12:18 PM
What I want:

Ultra Portable MacBook: < 2.5lbs, 11.1" LCD, 10+ hours battery, a SSD option, starting at < $1500

Consumer Expandable mini-tower using DESKTOP processors, starting at <$1200.

What I predict:

That I won't be happy
:(

getalifemacfans
Jan 9, 2008, 01:03 PM

This was a personal meaning and yes i use logic when i express myself, maybe you're iq is low and you must attack somebody to make you're higher thats youre personal meaning to(low iq as well - haha(dont take it personally).And yes i think the iphone sucks i have had so much telephones over the years and i think it's just a ipod halo effect(like much off apple is).Look at the ipod touch - go figure.
And like allways some guys must have with a spoon.the membersname is ironic...put faith in what you want i dont care..(buddha ore jesus)thats your personal faith..here we go with that spoon - "dadda....
haha...allways funny.. your sincerly
best regards

getalifemacfans
Jan 9, 2008, 01:35 PM
Always. Kind of hoping that they would come back with some definitive info.

I just saw that his screen name was "getalifemacfans". Definitely a Positive influence. ;)

ok look a this.
it dont have 3 g
it dont have mms
you cant send messages to more then one at a time.
you cant drag over music in itunes you have to put it on list who must syncronise(not the biggest problem)
it is not possible to download contacts from sim
its more difficult to call,set up contacts and so on compare to sony/nokia
you cant connect to more then one computer(apple think youre a thief if you do?)
But idoes haves it ups but all in all i think it sucks(i not you)..he,he

So hopefully the next iphone will fix some of this problem ergo the statement...
best regards:)

vincebio
Jan 9, 2008, 01:44 PM
[QUOTE=getalifemacfans;4722504]
it dont have mms

i have all of these on my iphone, albeit not out of the box....but if your serious about your iphone, you should be jailbreaking it anyway, the amount of apps that will make your phone YOURS is relentless and modding is the way to go.

not sure why you think its more difficult to call, set up contacts etc, strange comment....

geoffism
Jan 9, 2008, 02:20 PM
ok look a this.
it dont have 3 g
it dont have mms
you cant drag over music in itunes you have to put it on list who must syncronise(not the biggest problem)
you cant connect to more then one computer(apple think youre a thief if you do?)
But idoes haves it ups but all in all i think it sucks(i not you)..he,he

So hopefully the next iphone will fix some of this problem ergo the statement...
best regards:)

Thanks for the heads up. Its officially on my list of things to check out. I have a couple buddies that have the iPhone, so, I get to conduct my own focus group.

gracias!
-gf

thesdx
Jan 9, 2008, 04:33 PM
What I want:

- Ultra-Portable Subnotebook
- Updated Apple TV
- Movie Rentals
- Mac OS X 10.5.2
- 3G iPhone w/1.1.3
- Official SDK

MarshallM
Jan 9, 2008, 04:35 PM
A Macbook Pro keyboard with keys which actually press properly! Then I can ring up and moan about my current one. :cool:

ezekielrage_99
Jan 9, 2008, 04:55 PM
iPhone 2.0:
3G model
16gb Storage
Also Released in Australia

iPhone will be release in Australia within the next month (end of Feb by the latest) only on the Telstra network. Unfortunately Telstra has exclusive rights for the iPhone, so the product will be awesome (e.g. being Apple) but the service provider will be crap....

At my work we got a demo of the iPhone from Telstra for development reasons, we will be supplying data for a few of the services for the iPhone in Australia.

chameleon81
Jan 9, 2008, 04:57 PM
iphone with a better camera. that 2 megapixel camera is outdated.

ezekielrage_99
Jan 9, 2008, 04:59 PM
i expect a new iphone(yes i do).the current iphone i think sucks i rather buy a nokia/sony ericson.
a new mbp.ore even bether i really want that new ultraportebole with nice penryn to go.
and what about that blueray?after warner has gone for the kill in toshibas heart and the theory microsoft just want chaos in blueray/hd sales so they can sell downloaded movies from the internett-maybe apple likes that theory as well ?would not suprise me.
And if they update the macpro why dont they update the cinema displays?(look at the name "cinema" displays you really expect something juicy with that name)
but like allways apple are allways interestet in proclaming that there products state of the art some of the products are.But if the product are state of the art - the product often speaks for it selfs..and if you are interested in a new fancy screen with that macpro check out the dell glass screen thats really something.
'And what about that games?why cant apple/steve jobs close the deal with more gamedesigners so that mac/appleusers can stop playing on windows on ther mac(never gonna hapend i supouse)...
dont allways wait for apple thats my tip but i really expect something groundbreaking to hapend inn MWSF - if not i would be just as shocking(thypical apple)...

Whoah... I can't make heads nor tales of this post, it's unreadable.

Gloor
Jan 9, 2008, 06:06 PM

I'm sorry to say it like that but can't you use spell check? I am foreigner too and I do make mistakes but what you wrote above is really ugly. I understood everything you said but man you should do something with your grammar check. Please

MicBook
Jan 9, 2008, 06:15 PM
Coldplay plays during walkin (almost a given)

Steve comes out talks about the usual (sales, some iTunes facts etc...)
Also announces plans for iPhone in Asia and Australia

Starts with an ACD update to compliment the new MP's models will include built in iSight FW800 and LED backlighting in 20"either 22" or 24" and 30"

Moves onto MBP refreshes the line adding Penryn processors in 2.4 and 2.6 and a 2.8 BTO more ram and more HD options also adds 17" LED backlighting and maybe a slight case redesign

Moves onto Software releases itunes 7.6 with rentals new contracts with more studios and adding DVD's to library on select titles and games for iPhone and iPod touch

Also releases OS X 10.5.2 to go with new notebooks and iTunes 7.6 with some new features

and releases iPhone SDK and iPhone 1.1.3 to go along with the SDK and also adding some new features and possibly copy/paste

and the famous One more thing......
Ultra portable with 12.1" LED widescreen
Built in HDD up to 250gb with 64gb SSD a BTO
2gb ram
processor 2.1ghz with 2.4 a BTO
battery life 10hrs
possibly external optical drive

ends with the usual live performance by some pop/alternative style artist possibly Fiest

Also silent updates include speed bump to the iMac 2.2,2.6 and a 2.8 BTO and the MacBook 2.2,2.4 and Mac Mini 2.0,2.2 and more ram and bigger HD options :apple:tv update with iTunes 7.6 compatibility

NiteWaves77
Jan 9, 2008, 06:56 PM
1. Steve Jobs will announce an "official" Apple Rumors blog, then sue himself for breach of contract.

2. The edditors of MacRumors.com will lurn to check theire posts for speling and grammor errors before poosting.

3. A retired Bill Gates will join the Apple board, bringing with him the much needed stale and unoriginal perspective on software Apple needs to finally break into the corporate sector.

4. Free ham with every purchase of an iPod Touch.

5. Someone will post something in this forum that isn't pure uneducated speculation, self-righteous nonsense, or pseudo-insider gobbledeegook.

Tallest Skil
Jan 9, 2008, 07:00 PM
1. Steve Jobs will announce an "official" Apple Rumors blog, then sue himself for breach of contract.

2. The edditors of MacRumors.com will lurn to check theire posts for speling and grammor errors before poosting.

3. A retired Bill Gates will join the Apple board, bringing with him the much needed stale and unoriginal perspective on software Apple needs to finally break into the corporate sector.

5. Someone will post something in this forum that isn't pure uneducated speculation, self-righteous nonsense, or pseudo-insider gobbledeegook.

Tanj in torment, that made me laugh! Sues himself, BAH! And the Gates thing wouldn't be bad at all. It would be the ULTIMATE ADMITTANCE OF APPLE'S SUPERIORITY.

puckhead193
Jan 9, 2008, 10:36 PM
i think final cut server will get released finally. link (http://www.apple.com/finalcutserver/)

Brocktoon
Jan 10, 2008, 12:06 AM
Macbook Pro update: announced 1/15, shipping 1/15 :)
Macbook Nano: announced 1/15, shipping in 6-8 weeks :mad:

APPLENEWBIE
Jan 10, 2008, 12:15 AM
Apple TV update:
DVD player, HD
Built in DVR (Apple purchases el gato)
Front mounted small display so you can use/control apple tv without the TV being on.
USB port for external hard drive.
Software tweeks to make signing on to sources faster and fast forwarding/rewind more smooth/reliable.
Interface revised to allow for itunes store movie rentals (and option for on-board storage if selected.)
Improved remote control (maybe this will have the display described above?)
Cable/satellite card port.

Oh, shoot... what am I saying!!! I'd have to go buy a new apple TV...

eric55lv
Jan 10, 2008, 12:17 AM
New MacBook and MacBook Pro
New MacBook Nano
Apple TV discontuinon

Badandy
Jan 10, 2008, 12:25 AM
iphone with a better camera. that 2 megapixel camera is outdated.

Who cares?

Rogzilla
Jan 10, 2008, 01:52 AM
You know what I want?

A small UMPC tablet, multitouch and pen input. Really, not a replacement computer but something like a large PDA. Something I can take with me, sit and draw/paint, write blogs at WIFI hotspots, make notes in meetings, and work on my various writings (screenplays, short stories, ect), then come home and sync it up with my iMac. A portable alternative for someone who already has a desktop.

I am still new to this whole Apple thing...love my iMac I got a year ago...but I have no idea what to expect.

getalifemacfans
Jan 10, 2008, 02:40 AM
[QUOTE=getalifemacfans;4722504]
it dont have mms

i have all of these on my iphone, albeit not out of the box....but if your serious about your iphone, you should be jailbreaking it anyway, the amount of apps that will make your phone YOURS is relentless and modding is the way to go.

not sure why you think its more difficult to call, set up contacts etc, strange comment....

Yeah i talked with some iphone users and they said compare to nokia/ sony its something more harder to organize(not the biggest problem but it can be anoying maybe).Maybe thats strange but if it is a fact then it is a fact.
Maybe the jailbraking makes it more complete.hehe.But think of this you must jailbrake it to make it function proper.its like those guys who tried to make a computer out of apple tv(the cheapest apple computer yet..lol).But it still can't record video with that camera and thats a minimum for todays cellies(think about all the fun you're missing)
But if apple release a second iphone with some bether specs i will forgive apple and buy it:)(and eat my own words..)

Cloudane
Jan 10, 2008, 05:14 AM

HAMTOUCHER!

http://www.cloudane.com/stuff/hamtoucher.gif
"borrowed" from b3ta

:D

Couldn't resist.

--

I can't see a tablet type thing happening TBH. It's such a wildly "new" thing that I think we would've heard about it from leaks etc by now unless Apple have suddenly become half decent at keeping secrets again.

mixel
Jan 10, 2008, 06:30 AM
I'd like them to start putting BD in the MacPros and iMacs as standard. (BTO for mini) .. If Sony can do it (admittedly at a loss) I wish :apple: would too.

Even less likely. Tablet Mac with multitouch *and* stylus support, when I say stylus I really mean Wacom-style touch-sensitive pen, as Apple could cater to artists really nicely that way. :)

overbyte
Jan 10, 2008, 07:09 AM
dell are making the latitude xt with mutitouch and stylus support (built by n-trig and notable because both actions are governed by the same hardware rather than 2 competing systems as seen on previous touch/stylus tablets)

it sucks that apple hasn't done anything for it's traditional design audience - i can't believe that i'm actually thinking about going over to pc so that i can do what i want with my hardware rather than waiting for apple to deign to look in my direction

pah

would be nice if they did tho - asus said the tablet was on it's way and n-trig have hinted about 'other hardware manufacturers' being quite keen on their tech

Blacknblue
Jan 10, 2008, 07:13 AM
Steve Jobs will end his presentation with "a great communicator" ad lib
story about a little girl who had her science project presentation absolutely
ruined because the CD player in the classroom would NOT play the tracks she
meticulously downloaded from the itunes store. The class gets restless and bored, turns mean and chants her to tears with the refrain: "She can't
make it work! She can't make it work! She is such a jerk! She can't make it
work!" He'll end with an aggresive campaign to take Amazon by storm with
all music all platforms! He finishes with a 3D rendering of Amazons being
routed through the jungle with gurgling quicksand swallowing them one by one. The last one holds the ipod above the sand untill it slowly sinks into
the mire like the dinosaurs in the La Brea Tar Pits!

John Purple
Jan 10, 2008, 07:18 AM
iPhone will be release in Australia within the next month (end of Feb by the latest) only on the Telstra network. Unfortunately Telstra has exclusive rights for the iPhone, so the product will be awesome (e.g. being Apple) but the service provider will be crap....

At my work we got a demo of the iPhone from Telstra for development reasons, we will be supplying data for a few of the services for the iPhone in Australia.

Obviously Apple loves bad providers. In Germany they contracted T-Mobile, a Telekom AG company (not because of bad service ... but because of no service at all :eek: - as experienced in the past) That's THE reason why I don't want an iPhone.

anotherarunan
Jan 10, 2008, 07:56 AM
Ok heres what i think:

Mac Mini

-Complete redesign! Looks much cooler :cool:
-Faster processors
-More RAM
-HDMI out (almost like an apple tv hybrid)
-Introduced with new CHEAPER apple displays!

Macbook Pro

-Maybe a redesign? Not too sure
-Penryn Processors
-Updated graphics
-Just standard updates (nothing too special)

Macbook Nano

-Small 12inch or 13.3 inch screen
-Slow low power processors (less than 2ghz)
-32gb SSD with 64gb upgrade option
-Crappy graphics
-Internal Superdrive
-Nothing THAT special except it looks nice and is small/thin as hell
-Pricing: Slightly more expensive than the macbook

Itunes - 8? Movie rentals, new move interface etc
Iphone SDK
Sales figures
Some cool performance by band/artist

i0Nic
Jan 10, 2008, 10:59 AM

Umm is this for real? I would've thought Australia wouldn't get the iPhone until the 3G version is out.

I think I will still hold out for the next version, even though I am keen on getting an iphone.

Squonk
Jan 10, 2008, 11:15 AM
How about The Beatles finally on iTunes?
HD Movies in iTunes!
:apple:TV update for HD content, movie rentals and (((5.1 Dolby Surround Sound)))

SthrnCmfrtr
Jan 10, 2008, 01:55 PM
This was a personal meaning and yes i use logic when i express myself, maybe you're iq is low and you must attack somebody to make you're higher thats youre personal meaning to(low iq as well - haha(dont take it personally).And yes i think the iphone sucks i have had so much telephones over the years and i think it's just a ipod halo effect(like much off apple is).Look at the ipod touch - go figure.
And like allways some guys must have with a spoon.the membersname is ironic...put faith in what you want i dont care..(buddha ore jesus)thats your personal faith..here we go with that spoon - "dadda....
haha...allways funny.. your sincerly
best regards

I regard you with serene curiosity. Please continue.

swingsong
Jan 10, 2008, 03:52 PM
Movie and TV show rentals coming to iTunes. Karoke added to iTunes and fun for Apple TV.

I think a new Mac Book Pro design is long overdue. Apple remote stores in laptop, perhaps in expansion card slot. May move away from aluminum to something lighter like magnesium, carbon fiber or cubic zirconium, or may just anodize the aluminum case black. May see new screen ratios and HD resolutions across MBP line. Track pad will be bigger and multi-touch gestures will be expanded.

Cinema displays will be thinner, specs improved and all will be HD resolution. Aspect ratios may change. iSight cameras across the line are possible.

Mighty mouse made of metal to compliment new keyboards, and support for pinch - push.

Movie and TV show rentals require more space.

Bump iTouch and iPhone to 16gb and 32gb to allow more room for content. Possible 50 dollar price cut on 16gb iPhone and 16gb iTouch. No other changes to iPhone / iTouch for now. Possible partner for iPhone in Mexico announced.

iPhone/iTouch SDK introduced, premier partners ready with first applications. Demo of new apps. iPhone software update has bonus features not leaked to public.

iPod nano, classic, iTouch and iPhone will control Apple TV. Fair Play Video recording enabled on Apple TV. Games enabled on Apple TV with third party remotes.

iPod classic now supports Time Machine and Home on an iPod is a reality.

One more thing...
iTablet. Kicks Wacom Cintique out of the game. Supports stylus and finger gestures. Pressure sensitive. 8-12" in size. Runs iWork and Adobe Creative Suite support coming soon. Thinest Mac ever. No optical drive, but not sure about a hard drive.

ezekielrage_99
Jan 10, 2008, 05:12 PM
Obviously Apple loves bad providers. In Germany they contracted T-Mobile, a Telekom AG company (not because of bad service ... but because of no service at all :eek: - as experienced in the past) That's THE reason why I don't want an iPhone.

But seriously ANY Australian will tell you that Telstra is rubbish.

Umm is this for real? I would've thought Australia wouldn't get the iPhone until the 3G version is out.

I think I will still hold out for the next version, even though I am keen on getting an iphone.

Yeah sure is, Telstra is pushing for their new wireless network (NextG) and from what I've seen with our company demo looks as though the iPhone will work. But being Telstra all I can say is that I wont buy one on a Telstra service, the iPhone is brilliant the service is rubbish (the connection to the web is CRAP, it drops out sooooooo much).

According to the information I'm getting through my higher powers at work the iPhone will be released within the next month (end of Feb being the latest date) but unfortunately I don't have prices but from what I've heard it will be "competivitely price" (I seriously don't know what that means since it's coming from Telstra).

The other thing Telstra is supposedly offering is a Video on Demand service for the iPhone a little like their Bigpond Movies (http://www.bigpondmovies.com/) service they currently offer.

Telp
Jan 10, 2008, 05:26 PM
Thin Macbook, new displays, SDK released :p as well as the new itunes with movie rentals and a new iphone/ipoud touch firmware to support new itunes, movie rentals, and add some cool stuff. Maybe new iphone, but doubtful with so much other stuff (as more then just a mention of what its gunna be like, shipping apx date) and maybe an :apple:TV update for movie rentals, or atleast a new mention of them.

garry12
Jan 10, 2008, 05:27 PM
But seriously ANY Australian will tell you that Telstra is rubbish.

I live in Australia and am on the Next G network and, to be honest, it's very disappointing. Coverage drops in and out even in very built up areas. I can't comment very much about the internet because I try to avoid using it as much as I can due to the insane amount of money Telstra charges.

Hopefully Telstra introduce this at a reasonable price. But, I wouldn't be surprised if it was between $600 - $700.

Rogzilla
Jan 10, 2008, 06:27 PM
One more thing...
iTablet. Kicks Wacom Cintique out of the game. Supports stylus and finger gestures. Pressure sensitive. 8-12" in size. Runs iWork and Adobe Creative Suite support coming soon. Thinest Mac ever. No optical drive, but not sure about a hard drive.

Dude...I think I have have just soiled myself. That is exactly what I want! *whines* JOOOOOOBS! I WANT IT!

ezekielrage_99
Jan 10, 2008, 06:30 PM
I live in Australia and am on the Next G network and, to be honest, it's very disappointing. Coverage drops in and out even in very built up areas. I can't comment very much about the internet because I try to avoid using it as much as I can due to the insane amount of money Telstra charges.

Hopefully Telstra introduce this at a reasonable price. But, I wouldn't be surprised if it was between $600 - $700.

It's Telstra they wont place a reasonable pricing structure, plus their NextG network sucks. As I said before I want an iPhone but I wont buy if it's with Telstra.

megfilmworks
Jan 10, 2008, 06:41 PM
but like allways apple are allways interestet in proclaming that there products state of the art some of the products are.But if the product are state of the art -
Huh?? I think your first priority should be a lesson in how to write.

t0mat0
Jan 10, 2008, 06:41 PM
Dude...I think I have have just soiled myself. That is exactly what I want! *whines* JOOOOOOBS! I WANT IT!

Reading below
http://gizmodo.com/343246/what-to-expect-at-macworld-2008-and-why-we-think-it-will-bigger-than-usual

Why will MWSF 2008 be big? Because from the article it says that Apple wanted to keep lines looking the same, so there wasn't too much change as the iPhone was worked on (if you've read the Wired article about the birth of the iPhone, there was some *serious* hair pulling going on - apparently one Apple worker slammed a door so hard it bent the handle - taking hours to fix...) - they had to slim down Leopard before it was launched!

So what has R&D and the developers being working on soooo much that the Developor API had to be hidden for months? And that the FASTEST and newest Mac out there didn't even make it into the Keynote?!

We've seen in the last few weeks -
Pretty much complete loss of DRM from the labels, to move to watermarking.
Pretty much complete move to Blu Ray as DVD successor of choice (though note the quad hd screens - monitors can easily now outperform the 1080p resolution)
The CES showing Apple a year ahead, and Apple being missed. The biggest hits at CES? Buglabs?? Bull - Alienware's gamer screen (linked with the Wii remote hack to turn your TV to 3D this'd be *awesome*), Wireless USB, USB displays, that link easily to daisychain (and can be done remotely too), WiMax, USB3 demo'd. Big TV's, projectors were big. Apple should have noted this, and have caught on to the fact that if it offers a decent Hub, that people will plug their HD gaming rigs, and other boxes to it, and it'll rule the den/roost.

This is Apple's moment to be head and shoulders ahead, and right after CES 2008. Whilst they'll still not release everything in one go at MWSF - you can expect meaty updates across all lines this year.

P.S. - Anyone know why the new Mac Pro was called Early 2008? Is that normal naming?

thenetstud
Jan 10, 2008, 06:44 PM
Silent update:

Current wired keyboard now comes in a wireless version.

garry12
Jan 10, 2008, 06:45 PM
It's Telstra they wont place a reasonable pricing structure, plus their NextG network sucks. As I said before I want an iPhone but I wont buy if it's with Telstra.

Agreed. I just hope that other an unlocked version is available eventually

Stella
Jan 10, 2008, 06:48 PM

A lot of whining on these forums the second they reopen.

Other than that certainty:

MacBook Pro update - maybe new enclosure
Mac Mini update ( minor and silent )
Some major new product ( i.e., ultra mobile laptop )
iPhone SDK ( crippled, of course )

I'm hoping for new mouse

Hopefully not a long iPhone related presentation borefest

MacGeek13
Jan 10, 2008, 08:12 PM
It would be great if the price went down. There should also be some updates, but concentrating on a lower price, as PCs that are the same speed are much less.

Kashchei
Jan 10, 2008, 08:16 PM

Other than that certainty:

MacBook Pro update - maybe new enclosure
Mac Mini update ( minor and silent )
Some major new product ( i.e., ultra mobile laptop )
iPhone SDK ( crippled, of course )

I'm hoping for new mouse

Hopefully not a long iPhone related presentation borefest

Beautifully put, especially that last bit.
From your mouth (keyboard) to God's (Steve Jobs') ear

Cloudane
Jan 11, 2008, 04:49 AM
It would be great if the price went down. There should also be some updates, but concentrating on a lower price, as PCs that are the same speed are much less.

Yes, and look what happens. You get what you pay for (as I discovered with my 20" iMac with its bargain basement screen!)

I would hope "cheap" Macs would be an addition to, rather than a replacement of, decent quality ones.

NC MacGuy
Jan 11, 2008, 08:15 AM
Redesigned MBP's, MB's and introduction of 12"PB replacement. IMHO last years MW was a bust unless you wanted an iphone. Stuck with Verizon so it did nothing for me....

snickelfritz
Jan 11, 2008, 08:31 AM
New displays with integrated cams.
iPhone/iPodTouch that also functions as a Bluetooth Multitouch Mouse.
Leopard update.
30" iMac.
At least one new application.

Mr Ikasu
Jan 11, 2008, 08:45 AM
Here is my best guess as to how the Keynote will pan out from start to finish.

- Straight in with iPhone (no big summary of figures "So much great stuff to show you guys" etc). Phenomenal success etc. Today bumping it to 16GB and introducing new firmware which provides all the rumored features. Introduce some iPhone apps for sale on iTunes and release SDK details so everyone else can do the same soon.

- Laptops are growing in market share. We have the best on the market, selling really well etc. Now making them even better. MacBook Pro, new black/carbon fibre/obscure metal enclosure. Using the now standard Apple keyboard design. Using new chipset but otherwise the same on 15" and 17" inch. Then move on: "much demand for a replacement for PB 12". Today we have it. Smallest lightest laptop we have ever made etc." 13" but super thin, no optical and upgradable 32GB SSD. The ultraportable will be part of the MBP lineup. And cost maybe $1699 in base spec.

- iTunes, a few quick figures. Then in with film rentals. "People only want to watch a movie once". Announce partners. "How do you watch it?". Updated Apple TV. Cheaper. No Blu-Ray. That would increase the cost alot and reduce the need to download the films off Apple in the first place.

- One More Thing (definitely not the subnotebook, he knows it wouldn't surprise anyone so it will be earlier) Mac Mini becomes same form factor as Apple TV (ie, wider) but a bit taller. Uses 3.5" drives and has more RAM slots. Not a full blown tower though. Back to $499 price point Mac Mini was originally introduced at.

I want to think they have something more cutting edge lined up but right now I can't think what it could be. I'm willing to be surprised though.

utgerger
Jan 11, 2008, 11:33 AM
speculations are great .. but here's the big 'BOOM' next Tuesday.. :D

In the second hour of Steve's keynote.. he'll introduce this.. :)

Macbooks get a little facelift along wtih LED.. everything else remains the same.. priced a little more competitively..

Macbook Pro.. facelift along with performance upgrades.. I don't have more details..

What's missing is performance and portability at affordable pricing.. here's the newest addition..

- <0.8 Inch
- ~3.5 pounds including 6 hr - 8 hr battery
- 13.3 LED
- Aluminum casing .. some iPhone design features.. black is in..
- Santa Rosa Chipset 2.0/2.2
- 120/250 GB HD
- new optional 32 GB SSD and a pricy 64 GB SSD..
- X3100 graphics
- 2 GB RAM
- External superdrive.. FW800 .. sold seperately
- Express card..

not satisfied? ..

one more thing.. trackpad is being replaced with a larger multitouch interface.. will be demoed with new updated Leopard.. developing more applications to work with it.. multitouch SDK to be released.. its a patented engineering marvel..

Will be priced and placed somewhere btw Macbook and Macbook Pro.. Shipping Early February.. I'll leave the name for a surprise..

get your wallets ready.. ;)

Retrograffica
Jan 11, 2008, 01:25 PM
I know it's been said before but a wireless Apple MediaCenter would make sense, put that in your front room with all your media on it then have your imac in your office, MacBook in the den, (and one in each kids room and your bedroom if Apple have their wicked way). iPods get bluetooth so they can sync and everything would be 100% accessible all the time and if the MediaCenter was also the broadband router it would all be available remotely as well.

...the iCenter

Pumpkin King
Jan 11, 2008, 01:51 PM
I lost my iphone a week ago, so I am really, really hoping for an iphone update. I got a blackjack to tide me over until the release of the next iphone, and I already can't stand it after only one week.

I'm hoping for the new iphone to include 16gb, 3g (although edge wasn't bad at all) and gps. I'm thinking that with google's new psuedo-gps that may be included with the software update, that true GPS isn't high on Apple's list of things to update. But I tried the google program on my blackjack and it's terrible. I'm not even inside the circle that it says I'm in (having just used my phone, so it should be able to locate me pretty accurately). I want real GPS that I can use for navigation. I don't care about knowing that I'm within one mile of some point. FYI I'm in Chicago, so not like we're talking about BFE.

I don't know why people think SSDs are going to be an update. I totally don't think that SSDs will be included in Apple products (apart from iphone and ipods) for a long time. Apple's markets are: 1) consumers - where the price of SSDs is still way too high. Plus, you can't load too many home pictures and movies onto a $1,500 64GB SSD anyway. and 2) professionals - mainly working in, film, photography, web design, etc. These guys all require large hard drives. They probably do have large NASs at home, but they may need more space on the road too. I just don't see Apple's markets clamouring for SSD until it becomes both much cheaper and much larger sizes.

sandrotto
Jan 11, 2008, 02:38 PM
speculations are great .. but here's the big 'BOOM' next Tuesday.. :D

In the second hour of Steve's keynote.. he'll introduce this.. :)

Macbooks get a little facelift along wtih LED.. everything else remains the same.. priced a little more competitively..

Macbook Pro.. facelift along with performance upgrades.. I don't have more details..

What's missing is performance and portability at affordable pricing.. here's the newest addition..

- <0.8 Inch
- ~3.5 pounds including 6 hr - 8 hr battery
- 13.3 LED
- Aluminum casing .. some iPhone design features.. black is in..
- Santa Rosa Chipset 2.0/2.2
- 120/250 GB HD
- new optional 32 GB SSD and a pricy 64 GB SSD..
- X3100 graphics
- 2 GB RAM
- External superdrive.. FW800 .. sold seperately
- Express card..

not satisfied? ..

one more thing.. trackpad is being replaced with a larger multitouch interface.. will be demoed with new updated Leopard.. developing more applications to work with it.. multitouch SDK to be released.. its a patented engineering marvel..

Will be priced and placed somewhere btw Macbook and Macbook Pro.. Shipping Early February.. I'll leave the name for a surprise..

get your wallets ready.. ;)

Since you seem quite confident about what might be announced next Tuesday I wonder if you know anything about a possible iPhone "2.0" - the next generation iPhone with 3G, GPS, 16/32GB, MMS, etc.?
As for the MacBook Pros: Do you know what this facelift might look like? Minor or major facelift?

Thanks ,
Sandrotto (that was my first post on this forum btw :-D )

mrgreen4242
Jan 11, 2008, 02:42 PM
New AppleTV with a more powerful CPU/GPU combo to handle 1080i60 @ 15+mbps (alternatively, they'll add a dedicated media decoder chip capable of that level of video decoding), bigger drives (120gb and 200gb), lower price ($249/$299), out of the box support for USB TV tuners.

12" MBP, super thin, no optical drive, optional flash harddrive.

USB BluRay drive for $199. Works with all existing Macs, but specially designed for use with the new sub-portable, optical drive-less laptop and the new AppleTV (which was why they upped the power).

iTunes/AppleTV/iPod will support the Blu Ray Managed Copy system, allowing you to "check out" copies of Blu Ray movies you own onto your iPod and/or AppleTV. Resolution will be limited to 640x480@1.5mbps h264 (max iPod quality). (This will work because if Apple is going to have timed movie rentals, they're going to have to have a system to time out DRM's protected file in iTunes/on iPods, which is essentially how managed copies work).

Also, some DVDs with pre-encoded, DRM'd iPod versions of the movie on them.

1.1.3 firmware for iPod touch and iPhone released - will have the required framework to run apps written with the new SDK. SDK details discussed, sample software demoed.

iTMS movie rentals. It'll suck, in terms of pricing, availability, and selection. No fault of Apple's, but the studios will tank it by being greedy. I'm guessing at least $3.99 for 24 hours, but you'll get a discount of $1.99 if you buy the movie through iTMS within 14 days of renting it (and still have it stored locally on your computer or iPod, so no redownloading required).

Displays revamped. Prices changed, integrated iSights. The 20" will get really cheap, but the panel will get replaced by the "crappy" 20" iMac LCD. The 23 and 30" will stay expensive and aimed at "creative professionals".

And some standard bumps to the other lines of computers, here and there. Bigger HDDs, more RAM, faster CPUs, price chamges, etc.

ErikAndre
Jan 11, 2008, 02:55 PM
I predict a... ready for this... the Newton comes back.

utgerger
Jan 11, 2008, 02:56 PM
Since you seem quite confident about what might be announced next Tuesday I wonder if you know anything about a possible iPhone "2.0" - the next generation iPhone with 3G, GPS, 16/32GB, MMS, etc.?
As for the MacBook Pros: Do you know what this facelift might look like? Minor or major facelift?

Thanks ,
Sandrotto (that was my first post on this forum btw :-D )

MWSF won't be about a new iPhone.. its all about its current success, about its deployment into new markets and most importantly, the eminent release of its SDK.. from what I know, major iPhone update will happen sometime down the road.. maybe summer.. :confused:

MacBooks just got updated last november.. internals stay the same.. some cosmetic changes will happen otherwise it will look radically out of the Apple 2008 line..

MacBook Pros will definitely get a facelift.. Aluminum is definitely in along with the new keyboard.. but that's stuff we all know.. i don't have solid details on the pro line but its definitely slimmer with major black infusions.. (iMac)

it will basically be the big brother of MacBook Lite.. :)

ooops.. did i just spill something? something is definitely up in the air..

MusicallySilent
Jan 11, 2008, 03:43 PM
As much as I doubt it would happen I would really like

Large Mac Mini/Midtower Mac pro

1 socket with quad
2 pci E
4 Ram slots
2-4 HDD spaces
1 Superdrive

Starting at 999 or maybe slightly less with a dual core.

tgildred
Jan 11, 2008, 03:55 PM

...Pain...

andrewag
Jan 11, 2008, 04:37 PM
Mid range Mac
I would hope for a mid range "Cube like" computer only because I'm looking to upgrade soon. It would need to be priced below the US$2299 that the quad core Mac Pro configuration is (to avoid a repeat of the G4 Cube). It should have comparable specs to the 24" iMacs (core 2 duo 2.4GHz and core 2 extreme 2.8GHz) and be priced a couple hundred dollars below its iMac equivalents. I wouldn't see the product as a Mac mini replacement which is largely a sealed box but indeed a true headless iMac sans the display and with PCIe graphics.

iTunes Rentals
I'm not fussed about the rentals as I'm in Australia and to tell the truth my pay tv provider offers near on demand video services and I hardly ever use them.

Chasb
Jan 11, 2008, 04:49 PM
Official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle with iPod dock
and a Mac Mini(ish) media center with Blu-Ray (internal or external) option.

Just wishing.

jezza63
Jan 12, 2008, 12:04 AM
AppleTV to include wireless operation of another mac similar to screen sharing but much faster and including audio. Can operate AppleTV with wireless keyboard.

illitrate23
Jan 12, 2008, 04:51 AM
MacBook:
Two button touch pad.

this will never happen
at the most, they might off similar two-buttonness as is in the Mighty Mouse, but with a trackpad, there's no need. just change the mouse settings to allow the two-fingers on the pad + click = right click

Macbook Pro update: announced 1/15, shipping 1/15 :)
Macbook Nano: announced 1/15, shipping in 6-8 weeks :mad:
not necessarily a bad thing - i'll need 6-8 weeks to save up enough cash to afford it (and to be honest, if they do announce a macbook nano, nothing short of an act of god will prevent me from ordering one)

One more thing...
this would be incredible - i'd love to see a tablet that runs a similar kind of interface to the iPhone (in as much as the on-screen keyboard and so on). and it should be compatible with the Leopard screen sharing so that i can control my macs from my sofa

i definately do not expect to see any iphone hardware changes. they'll wait until at least the summer if not the end of the year. if there are iphone annoucements, it'll be about the SDK and preview of 3rd party apps that have been written with it

MusicallySilent
Jan 13, 2008, 12:22 AM
Mid range Mac
I would hope for a mid range "Cube like" computer only because I'm looking to upgrade soon.

That would be almost nice to have a cube, sort of what I was thinking of except have desktop or xeons instead it could be a desktop xeon (lga775) for all I care just give us the option for a desktop/server power dual and quad core, along with 2-4 (pref 4) ram slots, pci E graphics and a few hdd bays and get it out the door for 999 or less

ortuno2k
Jan 13, 2008, 01:10 AM
I really want a new 20" Apple Display.
That's all for now...

SkyBell
Jan 13, 2008, 01:20 AM

I'll log on just to laugh myself silly when I read the threads created by n00bs saying "Why didn't Apple release so-and-so" and "I hate apple, im leaving them foreverz!!!11111!"

It's sad, really (And slightly disturbing)

NiteWaves77
Jan 13, 2008, 04:23 AM
I'll log on just to laugh myself silly when I read the threads created by n00bs saying "Why didn't Apple release so-and-so" and "I hate apple, im leaving them foreverz!!!11111!"

It's sad, really (And slightly disturbing)

I would love nothing more than for almost everyone in these forums to "leave Apple" and never darken these hallways again. Unless they're cute. Then they should shut-up and sit on my lap. (That goes for the GUYS, too.)

I have another prediction to add to my list: with great fanfare and circumstance, they commemorate Woz's contributions to Apple and the industry by dipping him in gold and bolting him to the lawn of the main Apple campus. We'll no longer have to hear about how wonderful he is, how he single handedly invented the personal computer industry, cured cancer, and makes a hell of a deviled ham sandwich.

There's something in the air, indeed: the scent of the unbathed bloggers at the MacWorld keynote, wondering why the traditional press doesn't respect them while they're dressed as college students after a beer bong party in the basement of the Physics building. Sheezus.

Gosh, this is better than Christmas. :D

zedsdead
Jan 13, 2008, 06:45 AM
(1) Update to iTunes to allow rentals and the new model Fox apparently has on their new DVD's...I am not expecting HD...I want it, but there have been no rumors at all about it...

(2) Apple TV Update - Minor Stuff - Mobile iTunes Store, maybe a hard drive bump and possibly a DVD drive, no Blu-Ray.

(3) iPhone Software Update - Possibly will show off the SDK that is getting launched in February. The 1.1.3 update will happen, but hopefully there will be a few more features like iChat, Games, and Video Recording. No change to hardware.

(4) Macbook Air - 32gig SSD, No Optical Bay, Very thin, Very light, driven to be a companion notebook for a Consumer, not a replacement for the Powerbook 12" which was aimed at Pro's...Touchpad will be new and innovative.
Chance that it may work as a Sync device through iTunes like an iPod with a Homescreen interface rather than a full blown version of Leopard...ie. you sync all files, programs, and content from your "main" computer.

(5) "One More Thing" - The Macbook and Macbook Pro's will get the new Touchpad that is in the Macbook Air...

That's about what I think the Keynote will progress through.

iPhone 3g will not be ready until the Christmas Season. Same for iPods, no hardware updates at all to them. The SDK however should be out for the iPod Touch as well.

Cinema Displays, Blu-Ray, and DVD Studio Pro 5 will be launched at NAB in April.

iMac's will not see an update until Spring at the earliest, and again when the mobile quad-core's finally get released which should be late in the year.

LOZER
Jan 13, 2008, 02:16 PM
LCD Apple Cinema Display would be nice. Maybe a isight on it. I haven't gotten an ACD since im hoping they announce a new model.

PowerFullMac
Jan 13, 2008, 02:31 PM
MacBook Air FTW! As long as its a decent price I will be happy! :)

freddiecable
Jan 13, 2008, 03:06 PM
iPhone Nano is needed. 2.5" instead of 3.5" - making the footprint generally smaller. Many people does not want a PDA-phone. I love my iPhone - but would buy a 2.5" version if there was one.

olternaut
Jan 13, 2008, 04:48 PM
I knowwwwwww its a long shot at this point. But I am still holding out. Hoping behind hope that Steve Jobs says "Oh, and theres one more thing". And he then debuts and shouts at the top of his lungssssssss...........

........."MACTOUCH FTW!!!!!!" :D:D:D

asphalt-proof
Jan 13, 2008, 09:07 PM
My predictions are thus: (feel free to write them down and pass them down to your grandchildren to be read as scripture)

1. There will be much "boom-age"

2. But it will be a hollow sounding 'boom'

3. iTunes rentals of movies

4. Updates on on the laptop line

5. A presentation of of the SDK and what some devs have already produced on it along with a software update on iphone

6. A heartfelt thanks to the employees and their families

6. end of Keynote

7. Much weeping and lamentation on the internets.

I think that "something in the Air" may be referring to rentals of movies, and maybe .Mac intergration with the iPhone. Maybe there will be an ultralight macbook released as well, but don't we usually see SOME evidence of something concrete by this time. If nothing else, at least a blurry photo of something in an elevator. but this time, nothing.... nada. Maybe they have found all the leaks and have efficiently and effectively plugged them. But it just seems too quiet. I predict a less than exciting Macworld this year.:(

Kashchei
Jan 13, 2008, 10:43 PM
1) Announces deal with movie companies for rentals through iTunes. These rentals will last the running time of the movie and cost $20.

2) :apple:TV updated so that it can stream rental movies, but only to analog tvs.

3) "There's Something in the Air" slogan turns out to be Apple branded oxygen dispenser called the iMask

4) 16GB iPhone released for original price ($599)

5) Mac mini discontinued

6) Surprise switch back to Motorola chip (G6) with immediate updates for all laptop & desktop models

7) "One More Thing" is rumored lightweight notebook (also doubles as hot plate)

8) Steve announces the date he will step down as iCEO of Apple

Before I get flamed, think about how little everyone will have to complain about the actual keynote in light of my pessimistic predictions (I don't actually think any of these things will happen).

fluidedge
Jan 14, 2008, 06:31 AM
whats the deal with SSD drives?? Do we have evidence that apple has been buying these up in huge quantities??

jfmartin
Jan 14, 2008, 08:50 AM
Found in a prototype Macbook Air used by Steve Jobs

The keynote to unfold like this

Welcome !

iPhone news (100%)
* Sales news - 5 millions sold !
* 8 g version of iPhone price drop - 329$ (50%)
* 16 g version of iPhone - 399$ (50%)
* 1.1.3 firmware as seen on the web in december (100%)
* SDK based apps in developpement will be shown
* The distribution model of iPhone apps (50%)
* through iTunes
* commercial or free
* automatic upgrade of new versions of Apps
* authentication/signature required for secure Apps

iTunes news (100%)
* More DRM-free content to compete with Amazon MP3 (50%)
* No Beatles (100%)
* Movie Rentals
* 2.99$ -3.99$
* 3 days rental period
* from the first play
* all majors (except sony)
* play on all iPod/iPhone/AppleTV/Macs
* Fox to encode version of the movie on the DVD, others studios to do the same
* Movies rental at the same time of the DVD is out to the market
* Movie for sale to see price hikes
* some more differential factors to be announced but still unknown (100%)
* iTunes 7.6 (not 8.0) (100%)
* iPods firmware to see new versions to allow movie rentals (100%)

AppleTV
* the forth leg of apple business, not a hobby anymore (100%)
* AppleTV open plateform with new tool to build software for the AppleTV
* some new tools will be shown
* software for AppleTV available though iTunes (same as iPhone software)

* new software version 2.0
* movie rentals (100%)
* make AppleTV less dependant of iTunes (rent directly from Internet) (80%)
* new options: weather, news, rss reader, web browsing? (30%)

* AppleTV device lineup
* price drop for the current AppleTV (249$) (100%)
* new AppleTV hardware with better sound support, other goodies still unknown (50%)
* 160 gigs (299$) (100%)
* 250 gigs (399$) (50%)
* new Apple Remote (100%)

Now, one more thing...

* New MacBooks pro with new case design (50%)

* New MacBooks with new case design (70%)

* Review of the current state of light portables in the market
* why is not mainstream ? What can we do to fix this ?
* introducing Macbook Air (100%)
* no SSD drive but 1.8 inch drives up to 160 gigs
* no optical drives, sold seperately
* two screen sizes: 13", 11-12"
* aluminum, grey or black
* very thin!!!
* LED display
* i/o ports very special to allow slimmer case design (details unknown)
* 1500$ - 2000$

Thanks to everybody for coming !

1) Announces deal with movie companies for rentals through iTunes. These rentals will last the running time of the movie and cost $20.

2) :apple:TV updated so that it can stream rental movies, but only to analog tvs.

3) "There's Something in the Air" slogan turns out to be Apple branded oxygen dispenser called the iMask

4) 16GB iPhone released for original price ($599)

5) Mac mini discontinued

6) Surprise switch back to Motorola chip (G6) with immediate updates for all laptop & desktop models

7) "One More Thing" is rumored lightweight notebook (also doubles as hot plate)

8) Steve announces the date he will step down as iCEO of Apple

Before I get flamed, think about how little everyone will have to complain about the actual keynote in light of my pessimistic predictions (I don't actually think any of these things will happen).

BJNY
Jan 14, 2008, 10:10 AM
I'm in if the iPhone gets:
• push email
• 16GB
• better camera

I'd like to see the 17" Macbook Pro get L.E.D. backlighting as well as:
• industrial design similar to iPod Touch
• 32GB flash drive
• easy access to hard drive
• 2nd battery bay if optical goes external
• displays STAY matte, with glossy option

Hopefully, the Airport Express will go 802.11n, and the Hi-Fi gets Wifi

Stang68
Jan 14, 2008, 11:43 AM
I will still be extremely happy if the only thing he announces is 802.1x capability for the iPhone/touch. Maybe it will come in the form of the 1.1.3 update! But, on to other things:

Obviously a MacBook Air (stupid name)

Movie Rentals

I dont think a 3G iPhone announcement this early because then not many people would buy the phone until the 3G version actually comes out.

iPhone/touch SDK demo.

Finishes with a song by The Killers...:D

fluidedge
Jan 14, 2008, 11:45 AM
what the hell can you do with a 32 GB flash drive?

The OS alone must take up 15GB leaving you with 15GB. 15GB. On a Macbook PRO. People actually do constructive work on these things. 15GB is about 10 photoshop files to some people. No music. No 'movies' nothing else can fit on 15GB. 15GB is about 1/5 the size of my itunes library.

What is the fliping point of a 32GB flash drive in an Apple? I see absolutly no use in putting anything less than a 128GB flash drive in a professional class laptop. And thats not going to happen for a good 3 or 4 years yet.

32GB flash drives would be perfect for the next gen Asus EEE PC though - just to store a bit of music and some documents and few apps.

BJNY
Jan 14, 2008, 12:37 PM
My computers dedicated for pro digital photography don't require more than ~5GB for the OS and apps, so that would leave 25GB for RAW data. 64SSD would certainly give more breathing room since most sessions are 20GB to 50GB.

John Purple
Jan 14, 2008, 12:48 PM
Notebooks with (satelite) tv radio build-in
Isn't that in the air :cool:

iSee
Jan 14, 2008, 01:03 PM

Macbook Nano:
12" Multitouch Screen
32gb Solid-state hard disk
3G mobile connectivity for wireless internet access
8 hour battery
Simply a tablet (eg. Macbook cut in half); Apple Style
Mac OS X leopard Multi-touch Edition

That's just what I was thinking (except no 3G--that would require getting a mobile operator involved. *maybe* as an option).

I think it will be based on the iPhone/Touch version of OS X, so no optical drive, period. Software is installed through iTunes (yeah, you are expected to have another Mac). However, media will synch wirelessly, AppleTV-style.

I'm also thinking the screen might be a little smaller. It's going to be light enough to hold and hand to someone else with one hand, even for pretty small people. Also, it *will* be called MacBook Air (sorry--I'm predicting, not saying what I *want* to see).

Puck.
Jan 14, 2008, 01:40 PM
Pretty sure that the "something in the air" is the stench of the hardcore fanboys leaving their parents' basements for the first time in months...

Cloudane
Jan 14, 2008, 04:22 PM
Pretty sure that the "something in the air" is the stench of the hardcore fanboys leaving their parents' basements for the first time in months...

LMAO... win :D

MacBoy108
Jan 15, 2008, 09:04 AM
:apple::apple:Apple Iz The Best!!111!!!!!1!1!!1:apple::apple:
:D

Aperture
Jan 15, 2008, 07:12 PM
Sales/growth update
Ultra portable notebook
iTunes movie rentals & DVD digital copies
Updated/Refreshed Apple TV - Perhaps a slight price drop (To promote iTunes movie rentals)
Look into the iPhone SDK - available to developers in Feb. as planned

I called it!:D

SkyBell
Jan 16, 2008, 09:07 PM
I called it!:D

You sure did. :)

elppa
Jan 27, 2008, 06:42 PM
Well, I'll grade myself:

[1] Lot's of puff about how well Apple is doing. Good news gospel on the iPhone. Pie Charts and bar charts, some early mention of sales figures.

Well we got this 1/1

[2] Leopard talk — Apple haven't had an expo since the Leopard launch. Expect some interesting apps (3rd parties, almost certainly some mention of Office '08, possibly Bento) and talk of the capabilities and technologies in the new OS. We may get an update (10.5.2) and in it some surprises (whether it be QT 8, Java 6) or some iPhone technologies (error correction when typing) intergrated). Also look out for news on a how users will be exposed to the resolution independent UI. This may be particually impotant if number 5 on the list is being launch. Apple also said they'd be ready by '08.

Apple talked about Leopard - 2/2
Mention of Office '08 - 3/3
Other 3rd Party Apps - 3/4
Talk through technologies and capabilities of Leopard - 3/5
10.5.2 Update - 3/6
QT 8 - 3/7
Java 6 - 3/8
iPhone technologies in Leopard - 3/9
Res independence - 3/10

[3] Beetles on iTunes (at last!). This will lead into the the Music section of the keynote.

Not a whisper - 3/11

[3] iTunes Movie Rentals and iTunes 8 (UPDATE: Looks more likely to be a 7.6 release now.). Talk of the interplay between hardware-software, leading to the introduction of the:

Movie Rentals - 4/12
New iTunes - 5/13

[2] new TV + Apple Remote (in metal and using a similar clickwheel to the nano (you heard it here first)). Not sure were TV is headed, so I will not make too many predictions on this.

New Tv - 6/14
Same old white, plastic remote - 7/15

[5] MacBook Nano (possibly left to the end). It may have a pixel density considerably higher than current machines.
A bit more on this from here:
Quote:
[1] The drive will be a bus powered FW800 Super Drive. And you will pay for it, it won't be included in the box because:
[i] Some may have existing external burners they would rather use.
[ii] It would make the box bigger. Bigger, heavier boxes means more expensive shipping.
[iii] Apple will get to make even more money on each sale from people buying the matching optical drive.

[2] The ultra portable will retail for < $1600 (£1400/€1800) and be called the MacBook Nano.
[3] The MBP will get a facelift and a new keyboard to match the MacBook/new Apple Keyboard
And back to this one:

They gave it a better name, no nano - 7/16
Same pixel density as regular MacBooks - 7/18
No Firewire, let only FW 800 on the Air - 7/19
Drive not included - 8/20
US price - 8/21
UK price - 9/22
EU price - 10/23
New MacBook Pro - 10/24

That seems like enough. I have a sneaky suspicsion we may see a new app, because Apple likes writing Apps and they haven't done a new Applications in a long time (apart from Numbers). Apps are important to Apple because they drive the adoption of hardware.

New App - 10/25

Here's what we may not see:
[1] iPhone SDK, I think this may get a special event at another time.
[2] Any pro products (Mac Pro, Cinema displays) (UPDATE: Well we've already had the Mac Pro, so this is technically a correct prediction — even before the expo even begins!).

No iPhone SDK - 11/26
No pro products - 12/261

So all in all a fairly decent 46% success. As is normally the case I tend to hope for too much new. Some of my predictions I completely stand behind and I think we will see them another day. This year I believe we will see:

- Res Independence UI being exposed to user via System Preferences.
- Java 6 on OS X.
- New Apple remote
- New keyboard on MacBook Pro
- A new application from Apple.

Cloudane
Jan 27, 2008, 07:00 PM
Good idea...

In terms of new stuff I think just the thin portable, as that's the only thing there's been any leaks/evidence for (the leaks usually have everything covered!)

The thin portable was a duh. Wasn't much else introduced, just the NAS thing. 8/10 then...

Other than that, refreshes - in order of likelihood: MBP refresh with the new keyboard (even tho I think it'd look a bit odd if it's white), 16GB iPhone (not 3G yet), Glossy ACD option, Cheap ACD option (watch for the gradients and poor quality!), MacBook refresh, maybe some tweak to the ATV, maybe a non Glossy iMac option (just to wind up those who bought an iMac and dislike it!).

The one I said was the most likely didn't happen. No iPhone update, no ACDs, no MacBook refresh, correct on the ATV tweak, no non-glossy iMac.
let's give that 2/10..

Things I don't expect them to update: the iMac (already done recently), the Mac Mini (ditto and they don't like updating it), or any of the iPods (also too soon) or the Mac Pro or XServe (that would be silly, and the place would get firebombed)

10/10 there :p