PDA

View Full Version : New Mac Pro roll-out begs some questions

MacBytes
Jan 9, 2008, 09:23 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: New Mac Pro roll-out begs some questions (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080109102350)
Description:: Apple's introduction of revamped Mac Pros raises some questions.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

iSee
Jan 9, 2008, 10:23 AM
No need to click on the link. Allow me to rewrite the entire article concisely:

* New Mac Pros. Cool.
* But why no ACD update?
* And Why no Blu-ray?

danuff
Jan 9, 2008, 10:38 AM
Apple could have created the specs for the new Mac Pro months in advance, and it may have delayed the unveiling a week or so if they wanted to offer a Blu-Ray option. But I am sure that they (Apple) are testing the Blu-Ray drives in there computers even as this message is being written.

The debate between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray came to a head within the last few days (if not weeks). I wouldn't be surprised if Apple announces an option for Blu-Ray in future (and current Macs) at MacWorld or soon after. They may also did not want to get backed into a corner (like Microsoft did with the XBOX-HD/DVD) by offering one format over another when the "shoot-out" was still continuing.

-Dan

mac 2005
Jan 9, 2008, 10:39 AM
No need to click on the link. Allow me to rewrite the entire article concisely:

* New Mac Pros. Cool.
* But why no ACD update?
* And Why no Blu-ray?

Followed by the juvenile request that the readers pool their money and buy a Mac Pro for the writer. :rolleyes:

This request and these obvious statements from a self-described "pundit." :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

olliebraves20
Jan 9, 2008, 11:16 AM
I agree there was no sense in Apple taking one side or another till there was a clear winner. It was just bad timing that right around the same time as the Mac Pro's were announced that there now seems to be a clear winner in the battle between Blu Ray and HD DVD....with the last couple of weeks events I wouldn't think that it will be long before there is a option for Blu Ray on the Mac Pro and possibly the Mac Book Pro.

mainstreetmark
Jan 9, 2008, 11:55 AM
It is called "Mac Pro (Early 2008)", which means they could have the regular Mac Pro '08 with a few configuration changes such as bluray

darthvedder81
Jan 9, 2008, 12:26 PM
I'm surprised we didn't see a new case design for the Mac Pro. Other than adding some additional ports to the front it's essentially the same external design as the original G5 tower—and that was introduced almost 5 years ago. Has Apple ever gone that long without a complete redesign on a flagship product?

mainstreetmark
Jan 9, 2008, 03:05 PM
I'm surprised we didn't see a new case design for the Mac Pro. Other than adding some additional ports to the front it's essentially the same external design as the original G5 tower—and that was introduced almost 5 years ago. Has Apple ever gone that long without a complete redesign on a flagship product?

"flagship"? I'd be more likely to point to the Macbooks, iPods or iPhones as the items Apple wishes to be known for. They even de-"Computer"ed their name.

mklos
Jan 9, 2008, 03:12 PM
Apple can always add the Blu-Ray option whenever they want. Also, its not as simple as just throw a drive in the MacPro and everything is just honkydory. There's software that needs to run in the Finder (for OS X Burning) that probably hasn't finished being developed. I would imagine it would get thrown in a Leopard update and possibly a small patch for Tiger users (I hope!). But its not as simple as just throw the drive in there and think its going to work. You can't rely on people getting Toast or other types of burning software. If the OS isn't going to support it, then it shouldn't be in there.

I still think maybe Apple is waiting for MacWorld to release Blu-Ray for some reason. Maybe its because they want to announce its available on not only the MacPro, but also iMac, and MBP or something like that.

As far as displays, well maybe an HD display anouncement will somehow tie into this iTunes Movie Rental service thats supposed to be announced. How I don't know, but its possible. They do need to be updated and also lower their prices. ACD's are great displays, better than a lot (for various reasons), but they aren't $300/$400 more than their competitors better.

mklos
Jan 9, 2008, 03:14 PM

Until the Aluminum iMac was released, it has looked the same for about 5 years as well, going back to the original iMac G5.

Think about how long the iBook looked the same. It started with the Dual USB 500 MHz iBook G3 and it looked the same until the MacBook was released. Same goes for the MacBook Pro. It still has the same basic design that been in use for quite some time, going back to the original Aluminum PowerBook G4.

So this isn't uncommon in the Apple world.

big_malk
Jan 9, 2008, 05:33 PM
I agree there was no sense in Apple taking one side or another till there was a clear winner. It was just bad timing that right around the same time as the Mac Pro's were announced that there now seems to be a clear winner in the battle between Blu Ray and HD DVD....with the last couple of weeks events I wouldn't think that it will be long before there is a option for Blu Ray on the Mac Pro and possibly the Mac Book Pro.

Apple has been on the Blue-Ray board for a while (maybe from the beginning, I'm not sure) so it was always very unlikely they would ever have gone with HD-DVD. Plus, 'Blue-Ray' sounds a lot better.

Pressure
Jan 9, 2008, 06:15 PM
"flagship"? I'd be more likely to point to the Macbooks, iPods or iPhones as the items Apple wishes to be known for. They even de-"Computer"ed their name.

Which makes sense. They do sell more than just personal computers.

hexor
Jan 10, 2008, 08:21 AM

Why does everyone insist on having a new case design? The one they have now works very well, is elegant, "environmentally friendly", etc.. etc.. so stop with the case design!

redboard
Jan 10, 2008, 10:28 AM
I still think maybe Apple is waiting for MacWorld to release Blu-Ray for some reason. Maybe its because they want to announce its available on not only the MacPro, but also iMac, and MBP or something like that.

Well i'd like to agree but its doubtful. Here's why. On one hand its seems like a good idea because honestly, it seems a new MacPro revision would come with more exciting news than just being faster and having more ports. I'd like to think apple still has some things up their sleeve considering high definition dvd has been out now for over a year now. But on the other hand its not likely because if they were to put Blu-Ray on any computer they would most definitely want it on their highest performance computer which as of 2 days ago can now be bought online...and it isnt listed in the specs. So unless they decide to surprise all the people who have bought one already, by telling them they missed out a Blu-Ray drive by one week, it isnt happening. Here's what i do see happening. Apple does include Blu-Ray on MacPros at MacWorld but with additional cost. I assume the one they unvieled at CES was perhaps the lower to mid-range MacPro with the higher range including Blu-Ray.