Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n0t0ri0usj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Alright I tried looking these up but I have not found a reliable source...so here goes:

Question 1: If I install boot camp with winxp, can vm ware fusion 1.1 use the boot camp install? If it can, is everything that I do when I boot-up winxp natively reflected in the vmware emulation and vice versa?

Question 2: Can I drag and drop files from Mac os and win xp (both directions?). Does it matter how I format?

Thank you very much!!!

jhkingsr

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2007
NC
1. Yes. I haven't found anything yet, but remember its a virtual machine.

2. Yes. Format has not been an issue for me.

sal

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
although you can drag and drop from mac to an xp virtual machine, it only works if you install the vmware tools. It should be installed automatically, but it's worth noting.

if you go the bootcamp/vmware route, there will be things you are giving up. For example, you can't use the snapshot feature.

dabid

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2008
drag and drop

I found that sharing files by dropping things into either os folders didn't work so well when navigating the mac os folder when in windows. It would become unstable. best get an ext hd and format it fat 32 so both os can read and write it, like magic. I uninstalled bootcamp as there wasn't enough space on mac partition (a crammed 30 gig) to put applications i wanted to work with in osx so deleated it. I tried to put windows back on but it wouldn't even after completely formatting the hd. I recommend windows but i hate all that sharing and rebooting when sharing the bootcamp . best save up for a seperate pc, lets face it Dats the world we're in, if you're serious about using either or that is.

I'll build a decent desktop im sure 4 about 200 quid to do all the stuff that my mac mini 1.6 ghz intel core duo with 2 gig ram cant do ( zen creative mp3 player, using vegas video editor, and other surplus pc run gadgits, telephones etc...) for that price on a pc. Worst thing about mac is expansion or replacing parts.

by the way does anyone know how to re-activate usb ports on mac? mine deactivated after using a usb hub that drew too much power. i bought bluetooth keyboard and mouse as i couldnt plug in my usb ones. I cant run hardware test as i can't press option on startup cauz bluetooth keyboard isnt detected untill it has booted fully. Help!

Neil321

macrumors 68040
I found that sharing files by dropping things into either os folders didn't work so well when navigating the mac os folder when in windows. It would become unstable. best get an ext hd and format it fat 32 so both os can read and write it, like magic. I uninstalled bootcamp as there wasn't enough space on mac partition (a crammed 30 gig) to put applications i wanted to work with in osx so deleated it. I tried to put windows back on but it wouldn't even after completely formatting the hd. I recommend windows but i hate all that sharing and rebooting when sharing the bootcamp . best save up for a seperate pc, lets face it Dats the world we're in, if you're serious about using either or that is.

I'll build a decent desktop im sure 4 about 200 quid to do all the stuff that my mac mini 1.6 ghz intel core duo with 2 gig ram cant do ( zen creative mp3 player, using vegas video editor, and other surplus pc run gadgits, telephones etc...) for that price on a pc. Worst thing about mac is expansion or replacing parts.

by the way does anyone know how to re-activate usb ports on mac? mine deactivated after using a usb hub that drew too much power. i bought bluetooth keyboard and mouse as i couldnt plug in my usb ones. I cant run hardware test as i can't press option on startup cauz bluetooth keyboard isnt detected untill it has booted fully. Help!

Thats all well & good but what about on a portable,i for one dont want to have to put a desktop in the boot of my car

joshdietz

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2008
I found that sharing files by dropping things into either os folders didn't work so well when navigating the mac os folder when in windows. It would become unstable. best get an ext hd and format it fat 32 so both os can read and write it, like magic. I uninstalled bootcamp as there wasn't enough space on mac partition (a crammed 30 gig) to put applications i wanted to work with in osx so deleated it.

Use Paragon NTFS. It's $40.00 and is just as fast as copying files from HPFS HD to HPFS HD. It's completely seamless integration with NTFS, no loss in performance. It's never had one problem since I've used it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.