PDA

View Full Version : Yo! We be playin' 'Ghettopoly'! Holla!

ColoJohnBoy
Oct 9, 2003, 12:28 PM
Black leaders outraged at 'Ghettopoly' game (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20031009/ap_on_re_us/ghettopoly)

Am I the only one that thinks these people need to take the stick out of their collective butt and realize that this game is actually a clever satire on the whole Hip-Hop culture ridiculousness.

And before you accuse ME of being a racist, bear in mind that I'm 1/4 African-American. My grandmother thinks it's hilarious!

iJon
Oct 9, 2003, 01:07 PM
that is hilarious, i would buy that in a heartbeat. it would put some more fun into when i play monopoly.

iJon

Powerbook G5
Oct 9, 2003, 01:10 PM
I just showed that to my girlfriend who is also Black and she thinks it's hilarious and wants to know where she can get it. I think it'd be a fun twist to the already diverse Monopoly theme-based games out there.

e-coli
Oct 9, 2003, 01:17 PM
I think this is hysterical.

People are so serious about things. We should be able to laugh at each other.

patrick0brien
Oct 9, 2003, 01:20 PM
-All

I'm glad this thread isn't complaining about this game.

I came in here ready to point out the fact that there wasn't an equal backlash against "Redneck Rampage".

Powerbook G5
Oct 9, 2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-All

I'm glad this thread isn't complaining about this game.

I came in here ready to point out the fact that there wasn't an equal backlash against "Redneck Rampage".

I loved shooting those chickens! :D

ColoJohnBoy
Oct 9, 2003, 02:08 PM
You can buy the game direct from the website, or from Urban Outfitters. I don' think there's one of those here in Denver, but look around.

Ghettopoly! (http://www.ghettopoly.com)

Kid Red
Oct 9, 2003, 02:38 PM
Where are all the red necks like Rush protesting their up and coming Redneckpoly?

The game looks funny as ****, it's only offensive if it offends you. It's too far out there to be taken as an insult, plus the store that sells it, URBAN Outfitters, a young, hip, multicultural store, not Rush's gift shop.

rueyeet
Oct 9, 2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by e-coli
...We should be able to laugh at each other. Shouldn't that be, we should be able to laugh with each other? ;)

applemacdude
Oct 9, 2003, 07:08 PM
For shizzle? Pound it........

gwangung
Oct 10, 2003, 12:51 AM
Might be funnier if we, as a society, were further removed from this stuff.

As it is, I can see where it strikes too close to home to be funny.

pcdoctor
Oct 10, 2003, 04:55 AM
"Bringing Down The House" is funny this isn't.

P-Worm
Oct 10, 2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by pcdoctor
"Bringing Down The House" is funny this isn't.

Are you serious?

P-Worm

1macker1
Oct 10, 2003, 04:02 PM
Ahahahhahah!

Phil Of Mac
Oct 10, 2003, 08:29 PM
Is www.blackpeopleloveus.com offensive? It is, also, satirical.

themadchemist
Oct 11, 2003, 01:58 AM
I think it's funny, but I'm brown, so I can't really judge.

I do, however, see how this might offend people. After all, this is more appropriate to be offended by, than, say, people saying that it's more dangerous in the night:

What am I talking about? Let's step into Jesse Jackson's thought process:
2)Because the night lacks sunlight, everything looks black.
3)The night, therefore, is black.
1)Black people suffered under the hardships of slavery and discrimination in this country for hundreds of years.
2)Therefore, blacks fought for their freedom & equality.
3)"The man," disgruntled by this, has been out to get black people.
4)He does this by stereotyping black people.
5)He calls black people dangerous.
6)He calls the night dangerous.
7)Because the night lacks sunlight, everything looks black.
8)The night, therefore, is black.
9)Thus, "the man" calls the night dangerous for the same reason that he calls black people dangerous.
10)"The man" is racist and calls the night dangerous because it is black.

Damn "man" and his racist rhetoric against the late evening!

themadchemist
Oct 11, 2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Kid Red
Where are all the red necks like Rush protesting their up and coming Redneckpoly?

The game looks funny as ****, it's only offensive if it offends you. It's too far out there to be taken as an insult, plus the store that sells it, URBAN Outfitters, a young, hip, multicultural store, not Rush's gift shop.

Rush is definitely not a redneck. He is both well-educated and wealthy. Moreover, he lacks the requisite accent.

Rush, however, is a whacko right-wing propaganda-terrorist who shepherds a flock of misguided conservative Americans into the rolling hills of racial stereotyping, war-mongering, and distrust of diversity.

Desertrat
Oct 11, 2003, 11:40 AM
themadchemist, you must not have listened much to El Rushbo, or at least didn't try to understand what he's said.

"the rolling hills of racial stereotyping, war-mongering, and distrust of diversity."

As to race, over and over he's commented that one is judged solely by behavior and not on such things as color, etc. "Be all you can be," as the ad says. Disagreeing vehemently with the views of Jesse Jackson and others like him is not at all racist. Would agreeing with such as Thomas Sowell be "positive racism"? Limbaugh has lauded Sowell, more than once.

Since there are many views about the Iraq war, it's rather pointless to go to name-calling at those with whom you differ. A belief that the war was necessary is not "mongering", which would be an appropriate term were war to be advocated as ongoing policy in numerous places. I've yet to hear this sort of thing offered as policy.

Many are concerned about "diversity". As currently practiced here, it seems divisive. Many of us believe more in the "melting pot" concept, with everybody free to believe or behave in their homes, places of worship and private-club type gatherings as they see fit. "On the street", in schools and in politics, we're more likely to have an ongoing viable society if we work toward a generalized "American culture" (whatever it might be or become).

Disagreement, to me, is not the issue. I'm concerned about what I see as a misinterpretation of what's been said...

FWIW, I'm no regular listener of Rush'. I hear him for a day or two each month when on the highway; he's a lot more entertaining than the Top 20 music stations. :) And he has a lot lower "Urp!" factor than the other talkshow hosts. :D As usual, there are quite a few of his views on issues with which I disagree.

'Rat

Phil Of Mac
Oct 11, 2003, 02:27 PM
Rush can be insensitive about race, but I don't think he's racist at all. His most frequent guest host is none other than Walter Williams.

I don't always agree with Rush and think that he can be ignorant, but racist? No.

pcdoctor
Oct 12, 2003, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by P-Worm
Are you serious?

P-Worm

Yep, I'm serious.
My household won't be buying this.
I doubted if Chris Rock or Bernic Mack would buy this.

It's kinda like this.
Have you ever seen the "Bruce Lee" story with Lauren Holly?
There was a scene in the movie in which Bruce Lee and Linda were at the movies. There was a scene that offended Bruce.
It made fun of Asians. Linda thought it was funny but Bruce didn't.

jefhatfield
Oct 13, 2003, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
Rush can be insensitive about race, but I don't think he's racist at all. His most frequent guest host is none other than Walter Williams.

I don't always agree with Rush and think that he can be ignorant, but racist? No.

i think rush is very well educated on what will make him money, and if that plays to looking like a redneck, or racist, or ignorant, he will do that...i don't think he is any of those, and i know he really is not a politician or political scientist, but like dr laura, he has a way of finding out what pisses people off, airing it, and turning it into bucks

people who hate you won't be able to turn you off and will be glued to every word you say...it's like banning a book that is bad, the very act of being bad and having it be banned will guarantee the book a spot on the best seller list...rush is good at playing the villain of radio and for most of us in america, he will be the one you love to hate and this will eventually make him a billionaire

i think howard stern used to piss a lot of people off but now he seems to be liked more than disliked and that will eventually hurt him

mactastic
Oct 13, 2003, 09:32 AM
Hell, I thought Ozzy pissed people off, now people think he's a big stoned teddy bear.