PDA

View Full Version : The first iPhone virus is discovered

MacBytes
Jan 9, 2008, 12:21 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: The first iPhone virus is discovered (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080109132121)
Description:: An 11-year-old with an XML editor created the trojan horse that masquerades as an update to a third-party app for jailbroken iPhones. And you thought you were safe...

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
Jan 9, 2008, 12:24 PM
I know, I know - it's not a virus, it's a trojan, and that's not the same blah blah blah. Posted because it's interesting, not because the headline is perfect.

mpw
Jan 9, 2008, 12:25 PM
Oh dear, oh dear. Not being an expert in this field, does an iPhone virus/trojan such as this pose any significant threat to the host Mac/PC through iTunes? or is it too early to tell/unclear?

Blue Velvet
Jan 9, 2008, 12:28 PM
Targeting only "jailbroken" iPhones

The sky suddenly darkens as millions of chickens come home to roost.

PlaceofDis
Jan 9, 2008, 12:29 PM
and lets not forget that this only applies to those who jailbreak their iphone too.

jholzner
Jan 9, 2008, 12:47 PM
and lets not forget that this only applies to those who jailbreak their iphone too.

Exactly! The Jailbrake is made possible by a security vulnerability that apple closed! People get all mad that Apple doesn't allow updates on jailbroken phones but the very reason for this is because it is a security vulnerability to begin with.

jayducharme
Jan 9, 2008, 12:50 PM
The sky suddenly darkens as millions of chickens come home to roost.

Right. I'm happy with the WebApps for my Touch, and I'm patient enough to wait for the "sanctioned" 3rd party apps. With a device that runs everything as root, I didn't want to take a chance.

But maybe I'm one of those chickens....

Kevin83165
Jan 9, 2008, 12:55 PM
Right. I'm happy with the WebApps for my Touch, and I'm patient enough to wait for the "sanctioned" 3rd party apps. With a device that runs everything as root, I didn't want to take a chance.

But maybe I'm one of those chickens....

I hear ya, I agree. I am a chicken too but hacking these things are a risky hobby so it seems

imagineer2000
Jan 9, 2008, 12:59 PM
When the real SDK is released (without strings-we hope). Makes this moot.

bdj21ya
Jan 9, 2008, 01:01 PM
There's seems to be a lot of fear born of lack of knowledge going on here.

For this to affect jailbroken users, they would have had to add this kid's repository manually to their list of sources in Installer. Then, the would have had to manually choose to install those items.

Finally, because everything is backed up by iTunes, you can get back to pretty much the same working state without too much trouble by restoring any time you like.

No real scare here, I think we all know that you take a risk any time you choose to install software from unknown sources.

Lone Deranger
Jan 9, 2008, 01:04 PM
Clever 11 year old. ;)

bdj21ya
Jan 9, 2008, 01:04 PM
also, this isn't very malicious, it sounds more like he was just trying to learn to do things, not hurt anybody.

The fact that it deleted files used by Erica Sadun's app seems more like an unintended side effect of borrowing some of her plist files to create his own practice apps.

Maybe he really meant to be malicious, but it doesn't really seem like it.

iPhil
Jan 9, 2008, 01:09 PM
If people want to jailbroken their iPhones / iTouches then thats what they get for breaking apple's security measures... :p

SPUY767
Jan 9, 2008, 01:45 PM
Clever 11 year old. ;)

Not so much clever, as attention whore. When I was crafting iTunes apps, I could has easily done this. I just think that most iPhone devs would rather make something useful.

zephead
Jan 9, 2008, 02:10 PM
Seriously, people need to get their terms right. Virus ≠ Trojan. And since only a very small amount of people (i.e. us) actually know what jailbreaking is, and an even smaller amount actually downloaded the thing, then how many people has this really affected?

killerrobot
Jan 9, 2008, 02:20 PM
Not so much clever, as attention whore. When I was crafting iTunes apps, I could has easily done this. I just think that most iPhone devs would rather make something useful.

Wow. Do I sense some bitterness and jealousy?

I give props to the 11 year old. And who says that this doesn't lead to something more useful?

Blue Velvet
Jan 9, 2008, 02:31 PM
Seriously, people need to get their terms right. Virus ≠ Trojan.

Doesn't matter... the news will be picked up here and there, and before we know it, we'll be told by other people that's it's a fact that the iPhone has viruses. Perception matters...

A lie can get halfway around the world before the truth can even get its boots on.
Mark Twain

;)

mklos
Jan 9, 2008, 03:18 PM
Doesn't matter... the news will be picked up here and there, and before we know it, we'll be told by other people that's it's a fact that the iPhone has viruses. Perception matters...

A lie can get halfway around the world before the truth can even get its boots on.
Mark Twain

;)

You hit the nail right on the head, exactly in the center! Most people don't know the difference between the two so it doesn't matter. Yes, maybe we do, but not everyone is computer savy, and thinks a worm, virus, and trojan are the same thing.