PDA

View Full Version : To Buy or Not to Buy

merrillxcm
Jan 9, 2008, 03:08 PM
I have been debating and debating to get the iPod Touch now or wait, I know I should wait till next week to see if anything is announced but my first thought is that nothing new as far as hardware changes will be announced. Do you think it's safe to buy the Touch now or should I wait??? Do you think they will be dropping the price next week?:rolleyes:

merrillxcm
Jan 9, 2008, 03:11 PM
I could always buy it and then just return it if they announce changes next week too??

TheSpaz
Jan 9, 2008, 03:44 PM
Do what feels right in your heart. Trust yourself. At least you're not like the guy saying "No camera! No Speaker! Missing Apps!!! ARRRRGGGH" ... man, that's annoying. People should know what they are looking at before buying something. Before I drop a large sum of money on something, I read about 100 web pages about it first and probably 100 reviews too... just gotta make sure you know what you're getting before spending... and then if it doesn't live up to the specs that it came with, then complain. (small rant, sorry)

merrillxcm
Jan 9, 2008, 03:47 PM
I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about the Touch, I currently have the 30GB 5th generation Ipod. My only complaint i have with the Touch is the 16GB, I would rather 30GB or higher.

Draythor
Jan 9, 2008, 03:56 PM
How much of the 30 GB do you use currently. If it's about half then you may as well go for the 16GB. If more perhaps you should wait until after the 15th. I would if I were you price drops are expected by quite a few on these forums and possibly an increase in size as well.
In conclusion wait until January 16th and then re-consider

Football1maniac
Jan 9, 2008, 03:57 PM
As the first early adopter for the iPod touch in my area, I know how you feel. I literally bought the thing minutes after they arrived in the Best Buy near me. Before, though, I read up on the device and after those two weeks had past, I knew the iPod touch like it was the back of my hand. I don't know about farther then a few years, but what I've remembered of MacWorld is that that iPod updates are less then likely. Coming out of the Holiday Season, Apple doesn't want to discourage customers who just opened up there new iPods less then a month ago.:rolleyes:

On that note, its your call. I made the plunge, almost screamed when I saw the defective screen issue, but I was lucky and avoided it.:D:apple:

bijou
Jan 9, 2008, 04:33 PM
I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about the Touch, I currently have the 30GB 5th generation Ipod. My only complaint i have with the Touch is the 16GB, I would rather 30GB or higher.

Same here. Mine is about 3/4 full and I use it for movies on the plane quite a bit. The larger size screen would be a nice welcome, but I'm hoping they come out with a 32 gig soon so I can justify getting one. Two people in my family are begging for me to pass this one down, so it won't go to waste.

TheSpaz
Jan 9, 2008, 05:20 PM
As the first early adopter for the iPod touch in my area, I know how you feel. I literally bought the thing minutes after they arrived in the Best Buy near me. Before, though, I read up on the device and after those two weeks had past, I knew the iPod touch like it was the back of my hand. I don't know about farther then a few years, but what I've remembered of MacWorld is that that iPod updates are less then likely. Coming out of the Holiday Season, Apple doesn't want to discourage customers who just opened up there new iPods less then a month ago.:rolleyes:

On that note, its your call. I made the plunge, almost screamed when I saw the defective screen issue, but I was lucky and avoided it.:D:apple:

I also was worried about the screen issue at first but, I got mine and the screen was perfect (still is) and I don't regret my purchase at all... in fact, I've gotten even MORE out of it than I even planned on, so I'm twice as happy. I've got a week 38 and the screen has way better color and contrast/brightness than my girlfriend's brand new iPod (the colors on her's are all washed out and the contrast is too high). Too bad there's not an App to adjust the contrast setting because that would take care of a lot of iPods. I'm just glad I didn't get one like her's... yuck... hehe.

Ubuntu
Jan 9, 2008, 05:26 PM
Do what feels right in your heart. Trust yourself. At least you're not like the guy saying "No camera! No Speaker! Missing Apps!!! ARRRRGGGH" ... man, that's annoying. People should know what they are looking at before buying something. Before I drop a large sum of money on something, I read about 100 web pages about it first and probably 100 reviews too... just gotta make sure you know what you're getting before spending... and then if it doesn't live up to the specs that it came with, then complain. (small rant, sorry)

Sad thing is, what you just said, reeks of common sense, yet so many people ignore it, and then complain. I'd respect you more for doing your research on a product that will take a chunk out of your wallet rather than doing no research on it and getting annoyed for whatever reason.

Good post.

Dale Sorel
Jan 9, 2008, 07:28 PM
After tons of research, I just bought an 8gb Touch and am extremely happy with it. I can get five or six movies, several podcasts, and tons of music on it. I have an Airport Extreme on the way so I can stop mooching off my neighbors Wi-Fi. I say if you want one, go for it. There's always something better around the corner.

Silverman418
Jan 10, 2008, 11:01 AM
So, my ipod classic just died and hasn't been working recently. I was going to buy a ipod touch recently, but then heard from a friend to wait because they'd be releasing a new ipod touch generation 2 soon with improved features. Can anyone help me out here?

IJ Reilly
Jan 10, 2008, 11:32 AM
The best time to buy any consumer electronics product is next week. The exact same advice will apply next week.

merrillxcm
Jan 10, 2008, 12:39 PM
I'm going to wait till next week for the keynote and see if anything changes then I will bite the bullet and get the 16GB or if I'm lucky the 32GB that they may announce next week. Cross your fingers!!:rolleyes:

TheSpaz
Jan 10, 2008, 01:57 PM
They will NOT release a new iPod touch update after only being out for a few months... that would make everyone really mad.

stockcerts
Jan 10, 2008, 02:10 PM
I think they may eliminate the Touch with the smaller space capacity, much as they did with the Iphone.

Some people will get mad no matter what happens. I don't think technology should be held back so people who have already purchased can continue to say they have the latest and greatest. I just bought a new IMac a few months ago, and I have no doubt that something newer is right around the corner. I like the fact that technology continues to grow at a quick pace, with new consumer options becoming available on a regular basis.

TheSpaz
Jan 10, 2008, 02:20 PM
I think they may eliminate the Touch with the smaller space capacity, much as they did with the Iphone.

Some people will get mad no matter what happens. I don't think technology should be held back so people who have already purchased can continue to say they have the latest and greatest. I just bought a new IMac a few months ago, and I have no doubt that something newer is right around the corner. I like the fact that technology continues to grow at a quick pace, with new consumer options becoming available on a regular basis.

The difference is, the iMac hasn't only been out for a few months but, the iPod touch was JUST released, so it's not like I finally decided to buy an iPod touch after they've been out for a year, cause that would be my own fault.

stockcerts
Jan 10, 2008, 04:18 PM
The difference is, the iMac hasn't only been out for a few months but, the iPod touch was JUST released, so it's not like I finally decided to buy an iPod touch after they've been out for a year, cause that would be my own fault.

I believe the Imacs only came out this last August, which wasn't that long ago. It's nobodys fault when new technology comes out, and when it does become available that doesn't rendor the previous version useless. Just a difference in opinion I guess.....but I am in a technology field and I appreciate change and a company that embrasses and promotes new products on an aggressive schedule.

Draythor
Jan 10, 2008, 05:34 PM
I don't care if they phase out the 8GB. Just makes mine that little bit more special.
I will be pleased if they introduce a 32GB one though as my friend desperately wants a touch with a bigger capacity.
I just want iOrder, so I can get me some Starbucks.