PDA

View Full Version : No Sound on Powerbook 12"

markintosh
Jan 9, 2008, 03:09 PM
2 Days ago the sound just stopped working on my 12" 1.5Ghz Powerbook.
Has worked fine since the day I got it. No problems when upgrading to Leopard, it just quit out of the blue.

When I use the volume keys on the keyboard, I see an icon that looks like the circle with the line through it. I check in sounds in the System Preferences and it states that there is not an output device. The system profiles shows the sound card.

Any ideas anyone?

mad jew
Jan 10, 2008, 05:04 AM
Try resetting the PMU (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449).

iSaint
Jan 10, 2008, 06:01 AM
This happened on my 15" Powerbook after a Leopard install. A simple restart fixed it. I know there have been a couple of other G4 users on MacRumors that have resolved same issue this way.

saxman
Jan 10, 2008, 07:00 AM
Have you plugged headphones or external speakers into it recently? A few times on my PB when I unplug it, it still thinks I have and external speaker hooked up. I have to plug in the speakers and then unplug them again.

I haven't done much experimentation on why this happens, but it's happened to me about 3 times and plugging speakers in then unplugging them have worked. Maybe I just have a wonky port

markintosh
Jan 10, 2008, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone!
Resetting the PMU worked. (Just glad I don't have to reinstall the OS - I'm used to doing that as an old Windows user :rolleyes:)