PDA

View Full Version : 12" Powerbook won't output video

Mr. Bubbles
Jan 9, 2008, 04:18 PM
Well, this is my first mac. it's a g4 aluminum 1.5ghz that I just got a couple weeks ago. The person I bought it from said that it didn't display video, and that the apple technicians he took it to said that the problem was with the inverter board. This seemed perfectly likely to me, because it starts up and even chimes, so I figured, no biggy, Iíll just replace the inverter board with the guide from ifixit.

In the mean time, I decided to order a mini-dvi to vga adapter to hook her up to an external monitor. To my dismay, it would not output video to any of my monitors. This leads me to believe that the logic board has failed.

When i turn it on, it chimes and I can hear the superdrive working. the caps and num lock keys will light up if pressed.I think that I can hear the hardrive humming. There is also a lot of heat coming from under the hard drive, too much heat if it were actually booting osx i wouold think. And then the fans come...full blast for about 2 mins or so. then they go off and repeat the cycle indefinitely.

It will not turn off again by pressing the power button (I have to manually remove the battery) and it won't eject the disc in the drive. (btw, can the drive be taken apart and the disc removed manually? it is important)

All of this leads me to believe that the logic board has failed, and that replacing the inverter board won't solve any of my problems. I guess the only reason I still have any hope is because it chimes, but I'm afraid I might end up having to part it out on ebay or worse. Please let me know if this is a classic failed logic board, thanks!

Reflow
Jan 9, 2008, 05:08 PM
Have you tried to reset the Pram, PMU? Here is some info on how to do it

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

Mr. Bubbles
Jan 9, 2008, 08:42 PM
"Have you tried to reset the Pram, PMU?"

MANY times, all to no avail. it starts just the same and won't turn off without a manual battery removal. when I plug in the mindvi to vga adapter, should it automatically output video to an external monitor? I have tried pressing combinations of F7 and Fn F7 with no luck. Please tell me that I need to manually configure it in osx, and that is the reason why its not outputting. But thats's just wishful thinking right? I'm almost sure I have a bad logic board :(

Reflow
Jan 9, 2008, 08:45 PM
Yup that's what it sounds like. Sorry I couldn't help you..

Reflow
Jan 9, 2008, 09:32 PM
Does it make any beeping sound.

Mr. Bubbles
Jan 10, 2008, 07:02 AM
"Does it make any beeping sound." Not that I can hear. It just chimes and the drives and fans start spinning. I fond someone who has described a similar situation with his PB here http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Powerbook-G4-12-1-33Ghz-Laptop-FOR-PARTS_W0QQitemZ200189768625QQihZ010QQcategoryZ14909QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks again for continuing to try to unravel this odd problem.

RumMunkey
Jan 10, 2008, 08:37 AM
Try pressing function and F7 on the Powerbook when connected to the external display.

Mr. Bubbles
Jan 10, 2008, 12:51 PM
"Try pressing function and F7 on the Powerbook when connected to the external display."

"I have tried pressing combinations of F7 and Fn F7 with no luck."