PDA

View Full Version : Who will buy?

thesdx
Jan 9, 2008, 04:36 PM
So, who wants to buy the Ultra-Portable? I will, as soon as I sell my Compaq and muster up an extra $500.

Drumjim85
Jan 9, 2008, 04:40 PM
whats the rumored price point?

eddietr
Jan 9, 2008, 04:41 PM
I'll be buying it immediately. Tired of lugging the 17 around for a year.

Unless there is an ultra-portable and a 13" MBP, then it will take time to make a decision.

thesdx
Jan 9, 2008, 04:42 PM
whats the rumored price point?

CNBC says it will start at $1500.

ucfgrad93
Jan 9, 2008, 04:42 PM
I won't buy one. I'm looking at a MBP and waiting to see if there is an update.

waterskier2007
Jan 9, 2008, 04:44 PM
i hate how everyone is speculating this ultra portable thing... there is no concrete evidence that i have seen. i remember when people got word of a so called ipod hifi, and then everyone made speculations and drawings about this thing and it ended up being speakers.

bacaramac
Jan 9, 2008, 04:47 PM
Don't care either way, but if they do release something like they had on Flickr, count me in.

CJRhoades
Jan 9, 2008, 04:49 PM
If the specs are good, I'll buy... I need something smaller then my 15.4" powerbook.

thesdx
Jan 9, 2008, 04:53 PM
My main concern is NAND flash capacity. I hope it at least has 64GB.

ncbill
Jan 9, 2008, 05:03 PM
I wouldn't describe 12" as "ultra-portable" (rumors have all been for 12" or 13")

However, dropping the optical drive, moving to a 12" screen, and adopting an aluminum case could save a couple of pounds over the current Macbook (down to somewhere between 3 and 3.5 lb.)

bacaramac
Jan 9, 2008, 05:06 PM
I wouldn't describe 12" as "ultra-portable" (rumors have all been for 12" or 13")

However, dropping the optical drive, moving to a 12" screen, and adopting an aluminum case could save a couple of pounds over the current Macbook (down to somewhere between 3 and 3.5 lb.)

When I think Ultra Portable, I think of the following:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/macbooktouch/

MacRumorUser
Jan 9, 2008, 05:07 PM
My main concern is NAND flash capacity. I hope it at least has 64GB.

Mee too, but NAND is so expensive I fear it will either have a combination of 32GB+8GB NAND - giving us a 40GB HDD which sounds better than 32GB, or if it does have 64GB it will be way above the rumored $1599 price point.

mrkramer
Jan 9, 2008, 05:16 PM
I will wait until I have the money which also will probably be Rev. B.

neven
Jan 9, 2008, 05:29 PM
I'll most likely say "whoa, nice" when I see the keynote, then see the price and go "hrmm... well I don't really *need* it anyway", then spend the next few days discussing all the problems with the new device, then see it at the Apple store, then spend the next few days furiously rearranging my finances to buy one.

jnc
Jan 9, 2008, 06:04 PM
Ready to book a flight to New York if they're selling immediately and pick two or three up :p

applemacman
Jan 9, 2008, 09:55 PM
I'll most likely say "whoa, nice" when I see the keynote, then see the price and go "hrmm... well I don't really *need* it anyway", then spend the next few days discussing all the problems with the new device, then see it at the Apple store, then spend the next few days furiously rearranging my finances to buy one.

You just described me almost exactly

I welcome apple events with excitement/fear...excitement to see all the new things apple is doing and fear that I will want to buy each and ever one of them

theLimit
Jan 9, 2008, 10:22 PM
I'm actually looking forward to a 15" MBP update, but if an ultraportable is released and actually has the specs to meet my needs I may reconsider. I'll just wait and see since I won't be able to afford anything until the middle of next month anyway.

puckhead193
Jan 9, 2008, 10:30 PM
i need the power of a MBP.

BWhaler
Jan 10, 2008, 12:49 AM

Too funny.

I will do the same exact thing.

jnc
Jan 10, 2008, 05:27 AM
CNBC says it will start at $1500.

If this is a "real" 12-13" MBP as I hoped, and thus perhaps in a ways comparable to the current low-end MBP, it'll have to retail around the same price - I don't see it coming out at less than $1899 unless the specs absolutely suck.

Telp
Jan 10, 2008, 05:38 PM
I wont be buying it, im saving up for a MacBook Pro, however, if this is released, and it looks pretty, and it works well, and it has awesome specs, i will be spending a lot of time on them at the apple store.

jnc
Jan 10, 2008, 07:07 PM
Ideally I want a low end MacBook and a decent Mac Pro.

I've got my eye on a stock Octo 2.8 Mac Pro with Airport, so to be honest I won't need a particularly powerful notebook.

With 4GB RAM performance I'd probably be happy with a MacBook, though it really could do with being lighter - plus my desire for a bigger, matte screen draws me toward a MacBook Pro, considering all the extras.

Should they release a 13" MBP, I'd consider it the perfect compromise. The alu shell should keep weight down and the performance should be good without having to pump it full of RAM (which I'll probably still do anyway :D)

So, ordering a Mac Pro in the next few days and looking forward to a smaller MBP to complement it!

Scorch07
Jan 10, 2008, 07:13 PM
Not the ultra-portable, no, but I will be buying a new MBP as soon as available if announced, and if not announced, then I will buy my MBP right then.

cbrain
Jan 11, 2008, 01:52 AM
Ehhh...Maybe. Lemme see the specs first (and the price...)

bobob
Jan 11, 2008, 04:29 AM
I will wait until I have the money which also will probably be Rev. B.

Does anyone have an estimate of the average time between newly released Apple hardware and rev. b.?

As a longtime Macfanboy, it's gonna be hard to wait, but it's only sensible, right?

Right?!?

:eek:

jnc
Jan 11, 2008, 09:27 AM
Does anyone have an estimate of the average time between newly released Apple hardware and rev. b.?

As a longtime Macfanboy, it's gonna be hard to wait, but it's only sensible, right?

Right?!?

:eek:

Rev B would probably be Fall 2008.

And seeing as your machine is fully covered from manufacturing problems for the first year, I see no point in waiting.

danuff
Jan 11, 2008, 07:22 PM
When I think Ultra Portable, I think of the following:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/macbooktouch/

Well, beings that the hounds at Apple's legal department didn't "order" MacRumors to delete the link to the photo, then that tells me the Flickr photos
aren't accurate or even close. But it would be a cool thing to carry around, though.

-Dan Uff

mkrishnan
Jan 11, 2008, 07:44 PM

Yeah, I'm wait and see because what the press has been describing is still fairly heavy and big to me. Also I just got my Eee and I'm dedicated to playing with it for a while. If the new notebook is more than three pounds and it doesn't have a major footprint reduction vs. the Macbook, then I'm probably not interested at this point. If it's less than 3 lbs and it'll fit in my briefcase with a slip cover, then I'll probably start exploring selling the Eee and getting one.

CWallace
Jan 11, 2008, 07:45 PM
I expect that what I need to give up for size and weight will be more important then the size and weight so I don't expect to buy one unless it seriously "wows" me.

PowerFullMac
Jan 12, 2008, 09:18 AM
$1500 is about 700... Cool... as long as thats the price, ill buy it when I get the cash :D

notsofatjames
Jan 12, 2008, 01:44 PM
$1500 is about 700... Cool... as long as thats the price, ill buy it when I get the cash :D

You know we pay a premium to have apple products over here. Macbooks current are $1100 (or about 550-600). Macbooks are also 700 (or about $1200). I know its not that simple, with taxes and what not, but you get the idea. But IF its about $1500 in the US, expect 850 for the UK. :(

EDIT: Those prices are rounded a little bit, but are based on todays exchange rate.

dukeblue91
Jan 12, 2008, 02:00 PM
I don't think that I will buy one, I have my heart set on a MP but have not talked myself in to doling out the cash.
I still hope there will be a updated Mac mini or headless iMac.
The one item I know I will buy for sure, upgrade or not is the :apple:TV.

themadchemist
Jan 12, 2008, 02:03 PM
The thing that bums me out about the current MacBook line is the integrated memory, and I'm sure that won't change with the Air, or whatever it's being called. And I don't know how I feel about no optical drive built in, if that turns out to be the case. Sure, I don't use my optical drive all that often, but then again, I don't use my eyebrows very often--I still like them to be there.

kingtj
Jan 12, 2008, 03:04 PM
I could be wrong, but I'd almost say that if Apple *does* start offering an "ultra-portable", it's going to simply be a replacement for the current Macbook line. (I mean, if the price point is similar to current Macbooks and the overall performance is relatively equivalent - why would people still buy anything BUT the ultra-portable, unless they needed a higher-end system with better video and possibly a bigger screen? That would be the Macbook Pro arena there.)

So one way or another, I imagine that on Tuesday, we're going to see what amounts to a "refresh" of the Macbook product. We'll see aluminum enclosures instead of white or black plastic, and something that's probably a little thinner than what they've got now. May or may not keep the DVD drive built into it, and seems likely it'll retain that same 13.3" display which makes it a little bigger than what a lot of people are thinking of when they're screaming for an ultra-portable machine.

Frankly, that does nothing for me, as a Macbook Pro owner. Why would I step DOWN to less powerful video and a couple inches less of screen space, potentially getting one of those "chicklet" type keyboards in the process? I'd need to buy yet another laptop carrying bag too. It's not like the 15" Macbook Pro is exactly a big, heavy notebook to lug around anyway.

i hate how everyone is speculating this ultra portable thing... there is no concrete evidence that i have seen. i remember when people got word of a so called ipod hifi, and then everyone made speculations and drawings about this thing and it ended up being speakers.

peapody
Jan 12, 2008, 09:35 PM
I've been waiting patiently for an ultraportable from apple...so I am very tempted to just jump when its available...

thesdx
Jan 15, 2008, 06:26 PM
Well, it's out now. :D There are a fair share of negative opinions, but I think it's incredible. I'm absolutely buying.

twoodcc
Jan 15, 2008, 06:33 PM
yeah i'm gonna wait and see what's it like in person, before i judge it

Stori
Jan 15, 2008, 11:13 PM
I am waiting , in vain ;), for an Apple laptop that is no bigger than my current 12" PB. The 13" Macbooks and the Macbook Air at 13" are all too big for regular travelling. Weight may be one issue but actual external dimensions is another and the expensive 64 gig solid state internal drive as offered in the Macbook Air , is much bigger than the typical business traveller or indeed most other travelers would ever need. Most travellers would be better of with a smaller SSD and a compact external drive (if needed).

mrkramer
Jan 15, 2008, 11:15 PM
I'm still waiting until apple comes out with a replacement for the 12" powerbook that has a matte screen, and a user replaceable battery.

Stori
Jan 16, 2008, 12:47 AM
I'm still waiting until apple comes out with a replacement for the 12" powerbook that has a matte screen, and a user replaceable battery.

I think that the non-user replaceable battery is to stop people using their Macbook Air 'forever' like you and me using their 12" PBs ;)

zioxide
Jan 16, 2008, 12:52 AM
I think that the non-user replaceable battery is to stop people using their Macbook Air 'forever' like you and me using their 12" PBs ;)

No, it's just arrogance by Apple and them putting form over function yet again.

Many people who travel a lot (plane, train, bus, car, etc) and use their laptop while traveling will buy 2 or 3 batteries so they will get more battery life. You can't do this with the Macbook air.

Anyways, I voted "not right away, but eventually". Too bad we're still waiting for a real ultraportable.