Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHNguyen

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Hi,
I came across a trade for a Power Mac for my MBP, but I'm not really sure what to expect.

I've been using a MBP with and external monitor for awhile. All my portable needs go to my ibook G4, so my MBP never really moves. I do music production, and would really like to get started with video editing. But, I'm not super serious with either of them. I'm just not sure if I'll miss anything about my MBP.

I have a few questions..
1. Will it feel slower? (my ibook compared to my MBP is so slow, but it's usable)
2. How loud is it?

It just feels wierd to take a step back (going to PPC).. but then again, they seem like such powerful machines (Power Macs) it really be nice to have. Also, in a way, it's nice to have two PPC so compatibility issues won't get in the way.

It's my 2.0 MBP for a Dual 2.3 GHZ Power Mac G5 w/ 23" monitor.

Portability is not a problem. I never took out my MBP anyways. I only used my ibook if I needed portability.

CJRhoades

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2007
Lafayette, IN
Hm... doesn't seem like a bad trade. If you never take your MBP anywhere than maybe you should. What condition is the Power Mac in? How much RAM does it have?

JHNguyen

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
It comes with 2.5 gigs of ram and is said to be in great condition.

CJRhoades

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2007
Lafayette, IN
In that case I would make the switch. The ppc G5 dual processors will run circles around the intel c2d and with 2.5 gig's of RAM, you'll be fine...

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
Technically, the only PowerPC computer still faster than a production Pro line computer is the Quad G5 over the MBP, but the dual 2.3 will still feel very comparable in speed. You'll enjoy more HD expansion, PCI card expandabiliy, and easy optical drive swapping. As an added bonus, if you live in a wintery climate for any length of time, it doubles as a space heater! (G5s run quite hot, but safely)

I'd say go for it. If you have no plans for Windows any time soon there's little sense in keeping the MBP with an iBook taking the brunt of mobile tasks.

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
id say no

your mbp is alot faster than the Powermac. even if you dont need the portability, you would be sacrificing cpu power just to have a desktop.

JHNguyen

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Whoa, nice trade. Go for it.
I wouldn't do it. Its a dead end.
:confused:

Still not sure what to do.
The thing that really caught my attention was the 23" cinema display that comes with it. It just seems like a really good trade to me.

But then again, it's just me wanting new things. Not too long ago I got this MBP which I traded for a 17" imac. I liked the MBP but it didn't serve well as a portable for me (too hot, weak battery). So I ended up keeping it on my table and I bought an external monitor last week.

I guess I hate seeing my laptop being used as a desktop. So I've been considering this alternative..

I've heard Power Macs G4's are loud. Are the G5's as well? That kind of stuff drives me nuts.

Feverish Flux

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
Well the MBP got a Speedmark 4.5 score of 167.

The dual 2.3 G5 got a 226.

Two different versions of Speedmark used, to be fair.

I have a 2.6 MBP and a fully spec'd Quad G5 and the Quad IS faster, but only by 25% - 30% or so, depending on task, of course.

I'd say you have a pretty good trade going there, personally.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
In that case I would make the switch. The ppc G5 dual processors will run circles around the intel c2d and with 2.5 gig's of RAM, you'll be fine...

Run circles? Hell no - the c2d will be the faster of the two in real-world use. If we were talking a top-of-the-line quad G5, it would be a different matter, but even then I'd be reluctant to recommend going back to PPC...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.