PDA

View Full Version : Uninstalling Tinkertool

anneleonard
Oct 9, 2003, 04:18 PM
I'm flummoxed- how on earth do you uninstall tinkertool? I've been trying to get rid of all my widgety-might-be-nice-to-play-with-but-slows-os-x-down apps. Tinkertool sits in my system preferences and i just can't get rid of it. its not in Library/PreferencePanes and i can't find any file with tinkertool in the filename or within the text in a file in my whole system. so where is it, and how on earth can i get rid of it?!

shadowfax
Oct 9, 2003, 06:28 PM
if you installed it sytem wide, it will be in /Library/PreferencePanes/. however, if you installed it just for you, it will be in /Users/yourname/Library/PreferencePanes/. if it's not in one of those, i'll be shocked. run a search for "TinkerTool.prefPane" and search everywhere. that's the only file you need to remove.

as far, though, as it slowing your OS X down, it doesn't. i don't know where you got that idea. it doesn't even run. it just edits certain settings for other, native OS X things (like menu fonts if you have that set). it doesn't actually run when you start up, so it can't slow you down. and when you close sysprefs, it closes too. even those APE managers don't slow your comp down, either, unless you set them to do something insane. i can't think of anything insane right now...

I run all of those apps--clear dock, windowshade X, tinkertool... they don't slow me down at all.