PDA

View Full Version : Firewire Camera not connected

slowtreme
Oct 9, 2003, 04:34 PM
I have a Samsung SDC55 DV camera. I wanted to try out iMovie on my iBook. I hooked up the camera in the same fashion as I have to many times to my PC.

I get no indication of a connection, then again I don't think my Mac has ever informed me when something is connected, not even when a keyboard or mouse is plugged in, they just work.

I start iMovie and go to capture, I just get a blue screen. "No Camera Attached"

Ok so I've wiggled it, plugged and unplugged, switched cables, rebooted, etc., but nothing. Camera works fine on my PC with PC tools.

Is there a list of approved cameras? Is there a control panel somewhere to verify that the iBook even knows something is on Firewire?

slowtreme
Oct 10, 2003, 09:18 AM
I guess my topic didn't spark much interest to even have people view my post.

I think I'll go up to the local Apple store for the 10.3 release party, mabey I'll bring my iBook and camera and ask around there if someone can help :confused:

Lanbrown
Oct 10, 2003, 09:47 AM
I can't help with your problem, but if you look at the iMovie homepage it tells you what is compatible with it:
http://www.apple.com/imovie/

slowtreme
Oct 10, 2003, 12:07 PM
Ahh ok, I was looking in the help inside iMovie for the list. I guess Apple only supports 4 brands of camcorders: Sony, Cannon, Panasonic, and JVC.

Lanbrown
Oct 10, 2003, 12:17 PM
Just because it isn't listed doesn't mean that it won't work. Look at how many different manufacturers and models there are. There are some Sony models not on the list, but an earlier or cheaper version of the same family is. Apple canít test all of them; the manufacturers need to play a part in it as well. At the very least, they should supply a test unit and pay Apple to test it.

anthonymaw
May 2, 2005, 10:07 PM
Hello: I also have a Samsung SDC55 camcorder and I get the same problem. I wish manufacturer's would really get their crap together. I always expect that somewhere between Apple and Samsung that if they build the thing with Firewire then it should work properly otherwise they should just forget about it or at least have the courtesy to insert a leaflet that says "THIS CAMCORDER DOESN'T WORK WITH APPLE!!!!" so that I don't waste my time screwing with it trying to make it work. And yes like you my Samsung SDC 55 works with Windoz XP. What gives?????