Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swearbymac07

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Last night, my best mate showed me pictures of a deloaded ipod touch hardware dmg file. he said in the sounds folder there were sounds for new mail and messages and a photo click sound.

Am i right that with the new update (hopefully coming soon) that we might see Mail and SMS (Probably not SMS) or Blutooth enabalation?

cheers

Jan 30, 2006
Don't think so, bluetooth would have been noticeable. The device needs to have some kind of antenna or something.

As for Mail, could be, but I doubt it.;)

swearbymac07

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Mail Framework!

My mate just sent me an email with more pics of the System Folder of the iTouch. It has the Mail.framework and MobileBluetooth.framework as well as BluetoothManager.framework!!!

I know iTouches probably don't have bluetooth, but i think Apple just copied and pasted the Firmware from iPhone Dev to iPod Dev and edited a few plist files to make them say iPod and not iPhone or AT&T. There is also a BluetoothStatus.png in the Images folder. (But I Don't think this is relevant)

Sorry my spelling was bad in my last post, i was typing from iPod Touch and it automatically changes my words to what it thinks they should be.

Cheers

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
wasnt the ipod touch taken apart and there was some sort of bluetooth discription on it?

Vigilante

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2007
Florida.
The software was just a lazy rip. Parts of the iPhone are scattered throughout the software(lock your iPod down by putting in the wrong password a few times, for example), but the hardware is unique and doesn't have the required parts. If you want SMS and Mail but don't want to Jailbreak, wait until February.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
Last night, my best mate showed me pictures of a deloaded ipod touch hardware dmg file. he said in the sounds folder there were sounds for new mail and messages and a photo click sound.

Am i right that with the new update (hopefully coming soon) that we might see Mail and SMS (Probably not SMS) or Blutooth enabalation?

cheers

if you ftp into your touch and had a nosey at some of the folders you will find that on the touch theres folders for call history and sms and even the springboard file has stuff like incorrect sim and what not still left in from the iphone. It looks like apple where just too lazy to redesign the firmware for the touch to exclude the iphone junk

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
The software was just a lazy rip. Parts of the iPhone are scattered throughout the software(lock your iPod down by putting in the wrong password a few times, for example), but the hardware is unique and doesn't have the required parts. If you want SMS and Mail but don't want to Jailbreak, wait until February.

That's it exactly. The Touch was a quick way to get out an iPod with a touch screen on it since many people wanted one after seeing the iPhone. All they did was make a few modifications to the casing and stripped the software but forgot a few things that still make it seem like an iPhone.

ikklejo

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2006
Islington, UK

When this SDK thing comes out (not really sure what this is anyway, anyone care to explain or point me in the direction of a post) is it gonna be available to put onto a ipod touch which i already have?

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
When this SDK thing comes out (not really sure what this is anyway, anyone care to explain or point me in the direction of a post) is it gonna be available to put onto a ipod touch which i already have?

The SDK itself will almost certainly not run directly on the iPod Touch - rather, it would be a program that is intended to run on a full-fledged "personal computer" - that is, a desktop or laptop computer system.

But yes, you should reasonably be able to expect that any programs that are produced using the upcoming SDK should be able to run on an iPod Touch or iPhone that you own today, all other things being equal.

With the usual caveats: there'll probably be a firmware upgrade required to make everything compatible, there may be limitations on what features are accessible depending on what level of permission is included in the digital signature Apple has granted to the developer (think sandboxing), and obviously, any programs that require hardware features that are on the iPhone but not on the iPod Touch (for example, the camera) won't work on the Touch.

swearbymac07

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
conclusion

Thanks for replying. I am now hoping for mail and notes for the touch now. I guess I'll just have to wait until MWSF 08's Keynote to find out. And does anyone know with the SDK whether or not we could make apps in Xcode and upload them to the touch or iPhone without :Dgetting them signed by apple first?

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Thanks for replying. I am now hoping for mail and notes for the touch now. I guess I'll just have to wait until MWSF 08's Keynote to find out. And does anyone know with the SDK whether or not we could make apps in Xcode and upload them to the touch or iPhone without :Dgetting them signed by apple first?

I would find that scenario very unlikely.

However, it is plausible that they might release a multi-tiered digital signature system. Perhaps Apple might release a "public" signature that anybody can use, but it results in a very limited "sandbox" so that users cannot do potentially dangerous or undesired things, such as (for example):
- Attempting to modify any files that don't "belong" to the application, thus preventing the type of trojan we saw recently.
- Attempting to access "privileged" hardware like the microphone thus making it impossible to create unauthorized VOIP software.

Additionally, they might provide a "privileged" signature that they keep secret, and grant only to trusted developers, which enlarges the sandbox, opening up access to direct control of more of the hardware for specific developers who can demonstrate that they are playing "by the rules".

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005

I'm with you on that... why couldn't we get simple mail and notes?

swearbymac07

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
notes....

I don't know why we couldnt get Notes or Mail but as for Notes like the 'Calendar Bug' may be included in the update as all other iPods have the application, I think it would be silly for Apple to completely leave out Notes and a Mail Client. A Mail Client would probably increase Popularity of the iPod Touch to way more than it is now, as it would appeal to the common person as well as a business man/woman because of 1: The Price, and 2: The Form Factor.

Apple, listen to us. Include necessities in the iPod Touch that we have got before, such as Notes. Mail would be great too.

**And just my opinion, the supposed 1.1.3 Update Video from Gearlive is probably fake as i think the home icon Wiggle is un-Apple-as-Possible. i think it will be like the Music Bar Customize if anything**

**P.P.S - I don't mean to sound negative**

Cheers

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I don't know why we couldnt get Notes or Mail but as for Notes like the 'Calendar Bug' may be included in the update as all other iPods have the application, I think it would be silly for Apple to completely leave out Notes and a Mail Client. A Mail Client would probably increase Popularity of the iPod Touch to way more than it is now, as it would appeal to the common person as well as a business man/woman because of 1: The Price, and 2: The Form Factor.

Apple, listen to us. Include necessities in the iPod Touch that we have got before, such as Notes. Mail would be great too.

**And just my opinion, the supposed 1.1.3 Update Video from Gearlive is probably fake as i think the home icon Wiggle is un-Apple-as-Possible. i think it will be like the Music Bar Customize if anything**

**P.P.S - I don't mean to sound negative**

Cheers

I agree with you mostly but I do think 1.1.3 is real and the icon wiggling feature was even entered as a patent with drawings and animations. Remember... Apple loves the special effects and I think the wiggling is cool but tasteful... It shows that the springboard icons are ready to be moved.

cheekybobcat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
U-S of A

cheers

I HIGHLY doubt SMS since SMS requires a service provider. Also, if there was a reliable SMS app for the iPod Touch, I bet a ton of people would just get the Touch rather than the iPhone. I know I would.
As for mail, with the SDK it sure is a possibility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.