Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ktbills

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
I just installed Windows XP on a boot camp partition on my MacBook. All seems fine except that holding down the option key on restart only gives me the option to launch Leopard, not windows. I can get the Windows partition to launch by setting it as the default start up system (from either the mac or windows partition) but not by using the option key on restart.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Should I just reformat the boot camp partition and start over? If I ignore this problem, am I asking for trouble down the road?

Thanks, Ken

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
I just installed Windows XP on a boot camp partition on my MacBook. All seems fine except that holding down the option key on restart only gives me the option to launch Leopard, not windows. I can get the Windows partition to launch by setting it as the default start up system (from either the mac or windows partition) but not by using the option key on restart.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Should I just reformat the boot camp partition and start over? If I ignore this problem, am I asking for trouble down the road?

Thanks, Ken

Is your EFI/Firmware up to date? (null statement if you have a new imac)

Pressing the correct key? In my case (windows keyboard) it's the ALT key. You need to press it immediately after the startup "chime" and I romp on it two times, then hold it until the menu appears.

ktbills

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
More details

Sorry for not giving enough detail in my original post. I am using a new MacBook, bought in November 2007, running Leopard. Leopard is up to date. I installed Windows XP pro in a 32 GB FAT partition using boot camp. The alt/option key is the same on my MacBook, and I seem to be accessing the right boot camp function when I hold it down on re-starting because the restart stops and I see my Macintosh HD with an arrow under it., but no Windows option (or any other option). As I said before, I can get to the Windows partition by selecting it as the default operating system and then restarting.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ktbills

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
I actually have been searching around and found in the apple support forum about 10 or so others with the same issue in Leopard, some of which had used NTSF formatting, etc. The consensus seemed to be it was an issue Apple would have to resolve eventually.

ktbills

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Your advice was good and much appreciated. :) So far, though, I have not found anything helpful in this forum on that particular issue. And in the other various forums on the web, as noted above, there seem to be a number of Leopard users who encountered the problem and have not yet been able to fix it.

Given the way I use my MacBook, it is not a big deal for me, since I use the Mac OS almost exclusively, so long as it does not foreshadow problems down the line. Guess I will have to wait and see.

Thanks again.

ktbills

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Now I found it

Guess my searching could use some help, because now I found the threads you were mentioning when I searched on SR and FAT -- of course, I didn't know what SR was or whether I had one, but I do.

I suppose I may try to reformat in NTSF and reinstall Windows. Although I did run across one post on another forum that claimed the same problem under NTSF.

codenameconer

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
I have the same problem

I am also experiencing this problem with my XP Pro FAT32 partition. I'm on a new 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook.

One thing that did occur to me, however, is that we could leave our startup disk set to Windows and then hold down the Option key every time we want to boot into OS X. Not the best solution, of course, but a solution nonetheless. You wouldn't have to boot into Mac OS X every time you wanted to start Windows.

Maybe they'll throw us a Bootcamp bone at Macworld Expo, eh?

AVR2

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
I suppose I may try to reformat in NTSF and reinstall Windows
You don't have to reformat and reinstall to convert a FAT32 partition to NTFS. There's a utility built into Windows that will do it for you while leaving your Windows data intact.

See here, or just Google "Converting FAT32 to NTFS". It's NTFS, though, not NTSF.

Neil321

macrumors 68040
You don't have to reformat and reinstall to convert a FAT32 partition to NTFS. There's a utility built into Windows that will do it for you while leaving your Windows data intact.

See here, or just Google "Converting FAT32 to NTFS". It's NTFS, though, not NTSF.

Not that i need to but cant the above be done just by right clicking on the c drive in my computer then format?(i know its a b*****K if NTFS to FAT32)

ktbills

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
So... before i reformat to NTFS, has anyone with the option restart problem with a FAT boot camp partition on an SR MacBook actually reformatted to NTFS and found that it fixed the problem?

And is the quick way of reformatting to NTFS from FAT just as good as reformatting to NTFS from scratch and reinstalling windows?

wxgeek96

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2006
I was having the same problem -- had chosen FAT32 so I could write to the windows partition from the OSX side. But I will give that up if I can get the option key working.

ktbills -- did you try converting to NTFS? did it work?

ktbills

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Wish me luck

I will be trying this weekend. I will let you know how it works out.

wxgeek96

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2006
I did manage to get this to work last night, although I was a bit concerned when the macbook kept rebooting throughout this process. Thanks for the help.

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
Have a look at BootPicker (see my signature) - it is a very nice startup Boot selector (and free!).

ktbills

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Worked for Me

I converted my bootcamp partition from FAT32 to NTFS, and now the bootcamp partition shows up as a choice on an option restart.

I would've prefered the FAT32 format so the Mac side could write to the bootcamp partition, but that's the way it goes.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
If you would like to read/write files from the OSX side on an NTFS partition, consider searching google for "NTFS software OSX" - I'd Google it here - but it comes up with hebrew and I can't read it. (currently in Israel)

Or search one of my posts - I answered this a couple times in the past, but stlil can't remember the name of the program.

Anyhow - there are a couple of programs that allow you to do this.

And VMWare or Parallels are another option. (since getting Parallels - I rarly - if ever - use bootcamp)

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.