PDA

View Full Version : itunes licensing information - anyone know where to find it?

kbadr
Oct 9, 2003, 05:28 PM
I'm trying to get my album up on the iTunes store. The problem is, there's a cover song on it. To press the CD with the cover song, we had to pay ASCAP a fee. Does anyone know how an artist goes about getting the proper licensing for digital distribution of a cover song? I can't find any information about this, ASCAP seems to think I need to contact Apple/iTunes about it (there are special rules for digital distro, apparently), but I can't find info about it. I think the way it works is that iTunes pays the record label...but I'm not sure how to set that up. Is there an iTunes FAQ for artists out there?

Thanks ahead of time.

Bear
Oct 9, 2003, 05:32 PM
I suggest you comtact one of the independants that are signed up with iTunes Music Store. For instance CD Baby would be one.

kbadr
Oct 9, 2003, 05:35 PM
cdbaby is exactly who we're trying to go through. The problem with cdbaby is that you just basically click on "set my music up on itunes" and they do the rest for you...but I seriously doubt that includes licensing. I'm afraid to click through to see what it does, in case the licensing stuff isn't in order. Maybe I'll try calling their people one more time.

iJon
Oct 9, 2003, 05:40 PM
check here and on slashdot. someone posted the licensing agreements for cd baby when apple had the conference with them. the guys wasnt suppose to tell but he told anyways.

iJon