PDA

View Full Version : Attending Keynote

theappleguy
Jan 10, 2008, 01:55 AM
Hey guys,

I'm attending my first Macworld Expo and I've bought a users conference ticket. However, I want to ensure I don't miss getting into the keynote, so I was hoping someone who has queued before might be able to fill me in on a few details.

1) How early do you really need to be there? I've heard a range of times from 4:00 to 6:00. If you are in the front half of the line, are you likely to get in? If you are at the back (I'm not sure how big the room is), would you get a reasonable view? Does it vary from year to year?
2) I've heard there are overflow rooms for those that do not get in. Is there enough space for everyone in line?
3) Is the line outside or inside? Are you able to get someone (as in someone you know, not just a random person ;)) to sit in your place in the line so you can get some food or go to the toilet etc?
4) Is line jumping a problem, do you need to make sure people don't cut in front of you?
5) At what point do you know whether you will get into the main presentation room?
6) Is there anything else I should know, but didn't think to ask?

Thanks. :)

abrooks
Jan 10, 2008, 07:45 AM
Hey guys,

I'm attending my first Macworld Expo and I've bought a users conference ticket. However, I want to ensure I don't miss getting into the keynote, so I was hoping someone who has queued before might be able to fill me in on a few details.

1) How early do you really need to be there? I've heard a range of times from 4:00 to 6:00. If you are in the front half of the line, are you likely to get in? If you are at the back (I'm not sure how big the room is), would you get a reasonable view? Does it vary from year to year?
2) I've heard there are overflow rooms for those that do not get in. Is there enough space for everyone in line?
3) Is the line outside or inside? Are you able to get someone (as in someone you know, not just a random person ;)) to sit in your place in the line so you can get some food or go to the toilet etc?
4) Is line jumping a problem, do you need to make sure people don't cut in front of you?
5) At what point do you know whether you will get into the main presentation room?
6) Is there anything else I should know, but didn't think to ask?

Thanks. :)

1) Arrive at that time if you want but you'll be pretty far down the line for a decent place you need to arrive before 2.00am
2) Overflow rooms are huge, plenty of room for everyone
3) Line is outside but weather looks good for the week, bring a jacket though. You'll usually make friends with those around you and they'll happily save your space I'm sure.
4) The whole thing is pretty friendly, but clearly queue cutters aren't allowed. Make a fuss and they'll soon go away
5) If you're up the front of the queue then you're guaranteed
6) Make sure you've got something to keep you warm but you don't want to be lugging to much around. There are also two stages of queuing, first of all you queue outside until around 7.00am then they'll let you inside into a larger hall. They let those with priority seating in first then you'll be let in, can be a bit pushy.

Also one last tip, even though you've made friends in the queue make it clear to them that once you're heading towards the presentation hall that you'll be splitting from them, head straight towards the front and you'll very likely find a lonely seat somewhere.

Hope that helps.

theappleguy
Jan 13, 2008, 10:17 PM
Awesome, thanks for the info. :)

G5Unit
Jan 13, 2008, 11:09 PM
2am? That's crazy.:(

2nd opinion anyone?

I am going to be attending and I would really like to be in the main hall, no matter how far away.

Thank you[:

janitorC7
Jan 13, 2008, 11:14 PM

2nd opinion anyone?

I am going to be attending and I would really like to be in the main hall, no matter how far away.

Thank you[:

if he is going to be there are 2am

be there is 1:59... its another person that you are ahead of.....

but think about it, under 1000 people get into the keynote, and think of how many people are at the confrence...

drwatz0n
Jan 13, 2008, 11:21 PM
if he is going to be there are 2am

be there is 1:59... its another person that you are ahead of.....

but think about it, under 1000 people get into the keynote, and think of how many people are at the confrence...

Well, unless you have a Platnium Pass. You can get there whenever then.

Chaszmyr
Jan 13, 2008, 11:22 PM

2nd opinion anyone?

Thank you[:

If you get there three hours early you will probably be in an overflow room. Getting there 4 hours early should get you into the main hall, but it will be a bad seat. Then again, 6 hours early would probably still be a bad seat because the first many rows are reserved for Apple employees, press, and people with priority keynote access (Superpass and platinum pass purchasers).

El Carbonite
Jan 14, 2008, 12:55 AM
I'm getting in line around 4:30 - which is when most people are saying to get in line.

pscoble
Jan 14, 2008, 01:18 AM
Wait so you just need a ticket for the Expo to get into the keynote? No special pass? If not I'm totally going to try and make it.

El Carbonite
Jan 14, 2008, 08:45 AM
You need a user's conference pass or above, AFAIK.

Flowbee
Jan 14, 2008, 08:59 AM
I'm getting in line around 4:30 - which is when most people are saying to get in line.

If most people are saying to get in line around 4:30, you should probably plan to be there at 4:00.