PDA

View Full Version : Leaked 2008 MWSF Keynote!

lentife
Jan 10, 2008, 12:02 PM
I found this on the web. It looks very real!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Macworld_Conference_%26_Expo#Leaked_2008_Keynote

MacWorld January 2008 Keynote
Rough Outline; draft 5

Greetings! Welcome to Moscone Center

Quick Overview: iPod/iTunes
- iPod has been extremely profitable for us this holiday season
- Sales figures, market share
- Our new models are doing better than ever
- 3 iPod games released last month accidentally (supposed to be for today)
- Another new game today: Chess
- iTunes doing extremely well (sales figures/market share)
- Today: 30 indie labels releasing their entire catalogs in iTunes Plus
- Many more to follow in the next few months

iPhone
- Best iPod ever
- Sales beyond our wildest dreams
- Much more than the 1% market share we asked for in January
- Starting today: 8GB $399, 16GB $499
- Four times the memory as original iPhone for the same price
- iPhone is coming to Japan in March with NTT DoCoMo
- SDK is unveiled!

iPhone/iPod Touch SDK
- Apps and Widgets
- Using Cocoa with Objective-C
- Developers submit programs as source code, not executable
- Specify iPhone or both iPhone/Touch (certain features iPhone only)
- Set your own price: Apps $0-$6.99, Widgets $0-$2.99
- Users buy/download in iTunes Wi-Fi Store / iTunes Store (Mac/PC)
- Automatic updating wirelessly or docked

- Demonstration of exporting from XCode 3 to iTunes Store
- Submits source code to Apple for validation (make sure that people aren’t abusing the system, prevent malware and viruses)
- If using microphone or GSM, iPhone only; otherwise, available for both iPhone and iPod Touch
- Apps can be free or up to $6.99; Widgets free or up to $2.99
- Developers recieve 70% of revenue for their products
- Licensed under Apple Mobile Software License
- Can download wirelessly from iTunes Wi-Fi Store or docked to computer from iTunes Store
- Demonstration of wirelessly downloading (and running) the app submitted earlier
- Apps and widgets can be rearranged on front screen; front screen scrolls to show all apps/widgets
- Resubmit updated versions of apps; when added to store, iPhone/Touch will ask you to update it next time you use it (or next time you dock the iPhone/Touch)
- Developers can get their hands on a beta version of the SDK tomorrow on ADC and start developing; final version due early February
- iTunes 7.6 and iPhone/iPod Touch Software update 1.3 allowing for Apps mid-February

Example apps/widgets
Apps:
- iChat (coming with 1.3 update) (AIM, Jabber/Google Talk)
– Quick demonstration
- RSS Feed Reader (coming with 1.3 update) (read feeds online or off)
- One of our partners made something cool: Last.fm (scrobble tracks played on iPhone/touch wirelessly without syncing w/ computer)
Widgets:
- Dictionary (coming with 1.3 update) (quickly look up words, translate, use wikipedia)
– Quick demonstration
- Yellow/White Book (coming with 1.3 update) (search for contacts, add them to your address book directly from the app, will sync back with address book on your Mac/PC)
- Sports Ticker (coming with 1.3 update) (choose your sports and teams, get updates on their progress)
- Another partner: Twitter (update your Twitter on the fly, see your friends tweets)

- Try these out on the show floor today

Mac
- Sales are getting better and better every day
- Hardware sales figures/market share
- Leopard released October; doing spectacularly
- Sales figures/market share
- Selling extremely well; estimated to overtake Tiger in terms of marketshare by June if you only count the new Macs that come with it preinstalled; even quicker if you include boxed copies
- 10.5.2 out today - many bug fixes, also addressing a lot of issues and complaints users had such as list view with stacks and certain HIG non-compliance issues

New MacBooks!
- What would MacWorld be without a new Mac? (sorry about last year)
- Completely redesigned MacBook
- Completely aluminum body like MacBook Pro
- 13″ screen at 1440×900
- Two colors: Black and Silver
- Looks gorgeous at 0.8″ thin
- A major feat of engineering - patents abound
- DVD drive pops open on side when eject button is pressed
- New on all notebooks and iMac: iSight HD (720p)
- New backlit keyboard based on recent Apple Keyboard revisions (keys slightly lighter than that of laptop casing, colorwise)
- New matching MagSafe cable (Aluminum ends, cord color matches that of keyboard)
- New matching Apple Remote (slightly smaller with larger overall buttons)
- Intel GMA X3100 graphics
- 3 models

- Completely phasing out the combo drive on all product lines today
- BTO models can upgrade all the way to 2.6GHz/4GB Memory/320GB hard drive
- 4.5 hours of battery life
- Starting at $1199

Product Refreshes
- Refreshing Mac Pro and Mac mini today
- Mac Pro now with Penryn!
- Base model 2×2.8GHz dual-core/1GB/NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB/250GB(1×250GB)/1×16x double-layer SuperDrive
- Upgradeable to 2×3.2GHz quad-core/16GB/NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB/4TB(4×1TB)/2×16x double-layer SuperDrives
- Starting at $2,499
- Mac mini gets slight speed bumps and double-layer SuperDrive in all models
- Base model 2.0GHz IC2D/1GB/100GB
- BTO Upgradeable to 2.4GHz IC2D/4GB/320GB
- Starting at $599

One More Thing
- Been brewing for a while
- YouTube’s been in Apple TV and iPhone/iPod touch: now it’s in iTunes
- Download YouTube videos straight to iTunes or from iPhone/iPod Touch for later offline viewing (sync back to computer)
- Coming in iTunes 7.6 and iPhone/iPod Touch 1.3 updates

Eraserhead
Jan 10, 2008, 12:06 PM
Well the Mac Pro is already out :rolleyes:, and the specs are different, otherwise it looks believable but is probably fake.

killmoms
Jan 10, 2008, 12:09 PM
I'm thinking this is fake. There's no precedent for a presentation outline ever leaking before, the Mac Pros have already been refreshed and probably won't be mentioned (except maybe in passing) at the keynote, and that's a super-lame One More Thing. XD Also, he'd never mention a point update of OS X unless it was directly connected to a new feature relating to some other hardware, ESPECIALLY not to point out "HIG non-compliance."

Also, all signs seem to point to no optical drives being in the "thin" MacBooks, and Apple has eschewed the non-slot-loading drives for as long as possible. I doubt they'd start using them now.

emw
Jan 10, 2008, 12:11 PM
No chance. Certainly there are elements that will be in the actual keynote, but this isn't it.

"One more thing..." being YouTube on iTunes. Woohoo. :rolleyes:

Stampyhead
Jan 10, 2008, 12:14 PM
Plus he wouldn't do something totally stupid like the YouTube deal as his One More Thing. If they ever did add something as pointless as that he would have probably mentioned it during the iTunes part of his presentation.
EDIT: emw beat me to it. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that sounds totally lame.

sWaltuo
Jan 10, 2008, 12:15 PM
Definitely a fake. Within the first few lines I caught an error.

16Gb iPhone for $499 - same as original?

the 8Gb when first released was $599 ...

Mac Pro already out ..

Just a lot of stupid stuff mixed in

puckhead193
Jan 10, 2008, 12:18 PM
its a fake because the iphone has to be 3g b/c i want it and a redesign MBP :p

LorenK
Jan 10, 2008, 12:23 PM
Even a newbie can spot this as a fake.;)

wwooden
Jan 10, 2008, 12:24 PM
Some of these notes will probably come true, I think the iPhone SDK seems pretty accurate to what I expect.

I like the idea of a 720p iSight, seems like the right time to update this.

I think the "one more thing" in this list is pretty pathetic, doesn't really build up to much.

I've been putting off getting a new computer until they release one with Blu-Ray support. Not that I will get one right away, but the sooner they introduce it, the sooner it will get into other computers in the line up.

wwooden
Jan 10, 2008, 12:26 PM
Definitely a fake. Within the first few lines I caught an error.

16Gb iPhone for $499 - same as original?

the 8Gb when first released was $599 ...

Just a lot of stupid stuff mixed in

I think they were trying to say that when the iPhone first came out, the 4gig was $499. So that would mean a 16gig at the same price is 4x the capacity.

walnuts
Jan 10, 2008, 12:27 PM
Also, this says that they reached their 1% market share goal. There's no way that they sold 10 million iPhones yet. It was only a few months ago that they had sold 1 million.

yellow
Jan 10, 2008, 12:31 PM
Yeah.. typical MWSF keynotes begin with a little more Yay-Apple. As in..
We've sold n copies of Leopard.
There are now n million Mac OS X users.
There are now n million users of Mac computers.

I've never seen one get directly into business. :)

Nice try though!

dalvin200
Jan 10, 2008, 12:36 PM
the one more thing is youtube in itunes?

what an anti-climax THAT would be!!! :eek:

and a macbook with an eject button? lol!!
isnt that a step backwards in design terms compared to what we have currently?

nice try, but we'll all find out in 5 days time!

notjustjay
Jan 10, 2008, 12:40 PM
I like the idea of a 720p iSight, seems like the right time to update this.

I'd sooner have an iSight with better video quality at the current resolution -- better low-light sensitivity, smoother flesh tones -- than have the current stuff at even higher resolution.

The iSight is still among the best of the webcams out there, but have a look at all the webcammer videos on YouTube and you quickly get a sense for what's wrong -- poor resolution, funny flesh tones (often purple or green tint), poor white balance, poorly lit, dark and shadowy and grainy. It doesn't help that there's usually the harsh light from a direct source somewhere behind or above the user. Webcams were just not meant for making quality video.

Drumjim85
Jan 10, 2008, 12:51 PM

What indie label supports DRM? .... the only reason my stuff isn't on Plus is because i didn't have the option...

lofight
Jan 10, 2008, 01:02 PM
Indie labels mostly are pretty small, 30 wouldn't be a big numer of labels to join, mac pro already released, isight HD seems nice, but not neccesary because i think internet speeds aren't fast enough for such a quality...

eric55lv
Jan 10, 2008, 01:13 PM
that would be cool if the downloading YouTube videos was true but it sooo fake

aswitcher
Jan 10, 2008, 01:17 PM
Fake. MP specs really blow this.

LeChuck
Jan 10, 2008, 01:37 PM
Macbooks:

1 - I don't want a thinner machine
2 - I don't want an aluminum machine
3 - Apple probably won't give me what I want

I just want a Macbook updated with an LED screen (more resolution would be nice but it probably wouldn't happen), perhaps a penryn CPU. But what else is there? A new graphics chip would be nice but the Intel x4500 hasn't been released yet unfortunately, the X3500 doesn't look like a ton of improvement (if it even exists in a mobile version), and Apple probably won't go for a discrete chip. iSight HD? What for?

SthrnCmfrtr
Jan 10, 2008, 01:44 PM
Fake. MP specs really blow this.

Yep.

There's no point in an HD iSight, too. Some of the things are believable (the smaller, stupid details), but I'm not sure Apple would fix an upper limit to iPhone app prices. 30% also seems like an immense commission.

I like the description of the iPhone SDK and the ability to "sell" freeware through the iTMS, but this is clearly bunk.

LeChuck
Jan 10, 2008, 01:46 PM
ESPECIALLY not to point out "HIG non-compliance."

Or "a lot of issues and complaints users had" :)

Chris Bangle
Jan 10, 2008, 02:03 PM
There is no way what so ever that the keynote transcript would be leaked. FAKE

walnuts
Jan 10, 2008, 02:41 PM
that would be cool if the downloading YouTube videos was true but it sooo fake

I'm not so sure what the use would be. You tube videos are limited to something like 10 minutes long. They are more geared towards something you would watch quickly; as if you thinking of something and then searched for it, or watching featured content that you see when you get to the website.
If you were going to take the time to download the video, why not just watch it then and there?

The only use I would think of is if you knew you were going to be away from wifi and planned on showing someone you would see later.

Maybe, and this is youtube related and perhaps more worthy of "one more thing", they would fulfill the rumor that you would be able to record video from your phone and upload it directly to youtube. Who knows?

RoboCop001
Jan 10, 2008, 04:33 PM
Why does someone take the time to come up with a fake transcript?

Is it the same kind of people that go around electronic shows and turn the TVs off?

ayeying
Jan 10, 2008, 04:37 PM
Still an X3100? Come on. At least a 8400GS. Even if it was a fake transcript, still sucks.

CANEHDN
Jan 10, 2008, 05:05 PM
Lame. It's funny to see how much effort people go to to post such crap. There is no way a keynote is getting released early. Heads would roll at Apple, if that happened.

Telp
Jan 10, 2008, 05:32 PM
Hahaha, iPhone apps set your own price? Thatd be nice, but i dont think apple would do that. Besides that, everything looks total bull, including that. Still fun, and a lot of that would be nice =].

cbrain
Jan 11, 2008, 02:10 AM
I have three reasons of why I don't believe this.

1. Why iPhone firmware 1.3? We haven't had 1.2 yet...

2. Steve told us the SDK would be out in February. Macworld s not in February.

3. A YouTube deal would not be a "One More Thing..." in my opinion.

John Purple
Jan 11, 2008, 03:47 AM
... as Wikipedia only mentiones KNS 2006.

sunfast
Jan 11, 2008, 04:10 AM
Of course it's fake, but not a bad effort. :)

John Purple
Jan 11, 2008, 05:06 AM
Yes, and even the author forgot the most important:

"There is one more thing:" ..Steve hands over his CEO job to ...Harry Potter :p

Martin C
Jan 11, 2008, 05:25 AM
If this was real, I think that Apple Legal would have already had MR remove it.

red41
Jan 11, 2008, 09:11 AM
Wouldn't the Iphone going to Japan in March indicate that there are now 3G phones? I didn't think Japan had the Edge network. Seems like more reason to think it's fake.

Digital Skunk
Jan 11, 2008, 10:51 AM
This transcript is high school *********.

the biggest problem Apple has is the MacBook Pro and as usual the high school average joe blow consumer negated to mention that at all. The book is old, ugly, and needs a redesign. Seriously can't expect the rest of the market to move forward with laptop design while Apple just sits back and relaxes with Santa Rosa at last year's prices.

Then again... look at the Mac Pro and how long it took to be updated.

klagermkii
Jan 11, 2008, 11:30 AM
The wrong specs/timing of the Mac Pro combined with the non-announcement of iTunes Video Rental makes me put this firmly in the fake column.

I can (almost) forgive the Mac Pro thing, but the iTunes Video Rental has been announced across many of the major news outlets and it would have to have been planned as a major part of his keynote for a few months at least.

Osarkon
Jan 11, 2008, 11:33 AM

Now why would they release a new macbook with less battery life than the old? :rolleyes:

This if nothing else gives it away.

Also, the macbook already has an eject button, but no way would they do away with the slot-loading drives.

Oh, and it came from someone who still a 'newbie' and has only been here since December. As most of these fake things do.

dwsolberg
Jan 11, 2008, 12:09 PM
I love these fake Keynotes. Here's some tips to the next person to make it more realistic:

Rough Outline; draft 5

Businesses do not use labels like rough outline, draft 5. First, rough and draft are redundant. Second, a draft outline is much less likely to be leaked than the final outline. Any draft is something that only Steve and a few other people will ever see. Finally, the conspicuous labeling is obviously meant to cover up any errors the person made. It screams fake.

Even in the case that three iPod games were released accidentally (!), you don't start off your keynote with three minor and inconsequential mistakes. You're trying to build excitement. Also, we see that the poster is using exact numbers for some things (30 indie labels) and just placeholders for sales figures. This is probably because the poster does not want to give away a lack of knowledge by putting up sales figures that might be checked against other measures.

iPhone
- Best iPod ever
- SDK is unveiled!

The biggest problem here is that the iPhone will no longer be called the "best iPod ever" now that the touch is out. Another problem is that sales are pretty much in track with their stated targets, not beyond "our wildest dreams".

iPhone/iPod Touch SDK
- Apps and Widgets
- Submits source code to Apple for validation (make sure that people aren’t abusing the system, prevent malware and viruses)
- If using microphone or GSM, iPhone only; otherwise, available for both iPhone and iPod Touch
- Can download wirelessly from iTunes Wi-Fi Store or docked to computer from iTunes Store
- Demonstration of wirelessly downloading (and running) the app submitted earlier
- Apps and widgets can be rearranged on front screen; front screen scrolls to show all apps/widgets
- Resubmit updated versions of apps; when added to store, iPhone/Touch will ask you to update it next time you use it (or next time you dock the iPhone/Touch)
- Developers can get their hands on a beta version of the SDK tomorrow on ADC and start developing; final version due early February
- iTunes 7.6 and iPhone/iPod Touch Software update 1.3 allowing for Apps mid-February

This is not a developer's conference, so all the nitty gritty details here are out of place (Objective-C, source code vs. executable, price setting, XCode uploading, resubmitting, download processes, revenue sharing descriptions).

Example apps/widgets
Apps:
– Quick demonstration
- One of our partners made something cool: Last.fm (scrobble tracks played on iPhone/touch wirelessly without syncing w/ computer)
Widgets:
- Dictionary (coming with 1.3 update) (quickly look up words, translate, use wikipedia)
– Quick demonstration
- Yellow/White Book (coming with 1.3 update) (search for contacts, add them to your address book directly from the app, will sync back with address book on your Mac/PC)
- Sports Ticker (coming with 1.3 update) (choose your sports and teams, get updates on their progress)
- Another partner: Twitter (update your Twitter on the fly, see your friends tweets)
There are simply too many apps here. Talking about so many things would get confusing, especially because the descriptions are mixing things that come in Apple updates with things that people might buy. Also, Apple is not going to name an update ("1.3") that will be released in February. They would just say "Available in February".

Mac
- Selling extremely well; estimated to overtake Tiger in terms of marketshare by June if you only count the new Macs that come with it preinstalled; even quicker if you include boxed copies
- 10.5.2 out today - many bug fixes, also addressing a lot of issues and complaints users had such as list view with stacks and certain HIG non-compliance issues

A couple of problems. First, mixing Mac sales with Leopard sales. These would be treated independently. Second, there's too much unnecessary detail (overtake Tiger in terms of marketshare by June if you only count the new Macs that come with it preinstalled; even quicker if you include boxed copies). Steve would just say something like, "By March, we'll have already sold more Leopards than Tigers!" then he would slam Windows.

Another problem is that Steve is not going to announce a bug-fix update in the Keynote. First, only a few geeks (like us) care. Second, it's not good PR. If they release 10.5.2 that day, it will be used to announce new features in the OS.

New MacBooks!
- 13″ screen at 1440×900
- Looks gorgeous at 0.8″ thin
- New backlit keyboard based on recent Apple Keyboard revisions (keys slightly lighter than that of laptop casing, colorwise)
- New matching MagSafe cable (Aluminum ends, cord color matches that of keyboard)
- 3 models
- Starting at $1199
The main problem here is no mention of weight. Also, the information is disjointed, and there is no mention of standard configurations. I really like these ideas, though.

Product Refreshes
- Base model 2×2.8GHz dual-core/1GB/NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB/250GB(1×250GB)/1×16x double-layer SuperDrive
- Upgradeable to 2×3.2GHz quad-core/16GB/NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB/4TB(4×1TB)/2×16x double-layer SuperDrives
- Starting at $2,499
- Starting at $599

One More Thing
- YouTube’s been in Apple TV and iPhone/iPod touch: now it’s in iTunes
- Download YouTube videos straight to iTunes or from iPhone/iPod Touch for later offline viewing (sync back to computer)

One more thing would be the new MacBook, not some new YouTube feature.

Overall, this fake keynote suffers from too much geek detail and not enough consumer product excitement. Basically, Steve would spend more time talking about what the finished products can do and less time on the minute details of those products.

danuff
Jan 11, 2008, 12:42 PM
I'd say about 98% is bogus.

1. No keynotes were ever leaked before.
2. The new Mac Pros ARE out.
3. iPhone SDK annoucement - YES, Objective-C or COCA, No.
If anything, it maybe like making Widgets like Dashboard for the Mac. I cannot see them using a language that could present MORE problems, such as viruses and such.

4. Developer's set their own prices for any apps that they make.
5. iTunes download is a good idea, but highly unlikely.

-Dan

ArmyKnight12
Jan 11, 2008, 01:03 PM
Think it's fake, but would be cool if some of the things (Youtube on iTunes) turned out to be true. We'll see in a few days. Cheers. :apple:

grafikat
Jan 11, 2008, 01:28 PM
I'll second the iPhone SDK announcement, but most of the other is silliness. Oh, and I bet the typos would have been taken care of by "rough draft 5" ;)

GuillaumeB
Jan 14, 2008, 12:45 PM
OK if this is true (http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/12251/13275/Steve-jobs-keynote-speech-leaked.phtml) then i'd be a somewhat disappointed.

According to Pocket-Lint, this is what the keynote is supposed to be. The One More Thing is utterly dissappointing:

Rough Outline; draft 5

iPhone
- Best iPod ever
- SDK is unveiled!

iPhone/iPod Touch SDK
- Apps and Widgets

- Submits source code to Apple for validation (make sure that people aren't abusing the system, prevent malware and viruses)

Example apps/widgets
Apps:
-- Quick demonstration
Widgets:
-- Quick demonstration

Mac

New MacBooks!
- 13" screen at 1440x900
- Looks gorgeous at 0.8" thin
- 3 models
- Starting at $1199

Product Refreshes
- Base model 2x2.8GHz dual-core/1GB/NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB/250GB(1x250GB)/1x16x double-layer SuperDrive
- Upgradeable to 2x3.2GHz quad-core/16GB/NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB/4TB(4x1TB)/2x16x double-layer SuperDrives
- Starting at $2,499
- Starting at $599

One More Thing
- YouTube's been in Apple TV and iPhone/iPod touch: now it's in iTunes

Thanks for coming, and enjoy the expo

sunfast
Jan 14, 2008, 12:50 PM
Somebody has already posted it (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4731629).

It's fake - Mac Pro has already been refreshed

motulist
Jan 14, 2008, 12:52 PM
Yikes! Either that's a disappointing itinerary or someone spent a lot of time creating a fake. Either way is kinda sad.

GuillaumeB
Jan 14, 2008, 12:52 PM
Well yeh but he could probably mention it anyway...

techlover828
Jan 14, 2008, 12:53 PM
ya but the mp has already been updated so it doesn't really make sense.

edit: ya what he said

Fearless Leader
Jan 14, 2008, 12:53 PM
well this is complete crap and not right

gotohamish
Jan 14, 2008, 12:54 PM
Apparently the keynote has already leaked...

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/12251/13275/Steve-jobs-keynote-speech-leaked.phtml

koobcamuk
Jan 14, 2008, 12:58 PM

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/12251/13275/Steve-jobs-keynote-speech-leaked.phtml

Rubbish!

r.j.s
Jan 14, 2008, 01:00 PM
I remember reasing the other one, and when I saw this I thought maybe someone had actually had the sense to update it with some of the known facts *cough* Mac Pro *cough* removed already. As well as changing the lame one more thing ...

Also, it seems to be fact that iTunes 7.6 is coming tomorrow, as another thread points out, the Family Guy: Blue Harvest DVD requires it for a feature. It's release date is tomorrow, so I think that 7.6 belongs in the iTunes update instead of coming soon with the youtube downloads in the one more thing.

Phil A.
Jan 14, 2008, 01:01 PM

For me, the thing that makes me highly suspicious about the authenticity of that keynote is the "fact" that developers submit the source code to Apple to sell it. That makes no sense at all to me and, quite apart from the confidentiality issues, how are Apple supposed to find the time to check the source code for every app before they make it available.
The whole house of cards around the authenticity of the keynote falls down as far as I'm concerned on this one thing

PlaceofDis
Jan 14, 2008, 01:01 PM
i thought this was posted somewhere else.... but yeah its highly unlikely, imo, to be real.

Eric Lewis
Jan 14, 2008, 01:04 PM
i wish that was real...like an organsim

Bonte
Jan 14, 2008, 01:06 PM

Seems real to me, better put a spoiler alert. :cool:
Nothing special :(

liketom
Jan 14, 2008, 01:06 PM
what ? there's a keynote going on ;)

price drop on iPhones please - i'm skint and i have to replace my slightly broken one :o

Harpo
Jan 14, 2008, 01:08 PM
For me, the thing that makes me highly suspicious about the authenticity of that keynote is the "fact" that developers submit the source code to Apple to sell it. That makes no sense at all to me and, quite apart from the confidentiality issues, how are Apple supposed to find the time to check the source code for every app before they make it available.
The whole house of cards around the authenticity of the keynote falls down as far as I'm concerned on this one thing

Hm -- how about the fact that the new Mac Pros are going to be unveiled? :p

zedsdead
Jan 14, 2008, 01:10 PM
Outside of the Mac Pro mishap, there is no talk at all about the new Ultra portable or the rentals and we can pretty much guareentee both.

FoxyKaye
Jan 14, 2008, 01:12 PM

I'm gonna bet that this isn't real. Notably, to me, why announce iPhone Japan (which is all 3G) without mentioning a 3G refresh to the lineup? All the info on the "sub" MacBook points to no optical drive, the Mac Pros have already been updated, and "one more thing" as YouTube?

Anyone could have put that together with the information already online by rumor sites.

Alas, though, it seems like we're now destined to have "Apple Air" in addition to "Nike Air." I wonder if they'll share the same bunch of child laborers in China?

dr_lha
Jan 14, 2008, 01:15 PM
I doubt its real. Every year some website posts a "leaked" keynote, they always turn out to be faked. Can you really believe that Apple can keep the iPhone design secret up to the keynote, but not the notes for the keynote itself?

Although, they lost me on the MacBook Air having a DVD drive. I strongly doubt if there will be an ultra thin MacBook, that it will have an optical drive. Its all too obvious thing to drop, even back in 1999 when ultra-portable laptops started coming out (E.g. Vaio PEG-505TR) the easiest way to get the thing small and light and to dump the DVD drive.

FeralCat
Jan 14, 2008, 01:18 PM

Nope. Mac Pro stats (video cards, memory, etc.) are wrong for the models going to be "updated today". Move along, nothing to see.

gotohamish
Jan 14, 2008, 01:19 PM

According to Steve Rubel it was leaked on Wikipedia. He explains it here:

http://www.micropersuasion.com/2008/01/reported-jobs-k.html

I don't know if it is or it isn't, but it all seams plausible to me.

morethanblood
Jan 14, 2008, 01:21 PM

if this is it i will be extremely let down.

illitrate23
also - i thought the considered opinion was that for such a thin macbook, they'd have to do away with the optical drive?

Bonte

Put a new Macpro and some software at work and it won't take a day to check the code. They will probably run in some sort of sandbox environment so they will only have to check disk usage, wifi and GSM functions.

The SDK is also not intended for script kiddies i guess, only real company's that they can sue if they try to release a virus or popup spammer.

gotohamish
Jan 14, 2008, 01:23 PM
I doubt its real. Every year some website posts a "leaked" keynote, they always turn out to be faked. Can you really believe that Apple can keep the iPhone design secret up to the keynote, but not the notes for the keynote itself?

Although, they lost me on the MacBook Air having a DVD drive. I strongly doubt if there will be an ultra thin MacBook, that it will have an optical drive. Its all too obvious thing to drop, even back in 1999 when ultra-portable laptops started coming out (E.g. Vaio PEG-505TR) the easiest way to get the thing small and light and to dump the DVD drive.

I agree completely on the iPhone secrecy thing. I doubt it's real, but it's probably close.

bdkennedy1
Jan 14, 2008, 01:23 PM
And none of the links go to Wikipedia. I tried searching on Wikipedia and found nothing. If it is on Wikipedia, then it's likely been removed by now.

According to Steve Rubel it was leaked on Wikipedia. He explains it here:

http://www.micropersuasion.com/2008/01/reported-jobs-k.html

I don't know if it is or it isn't, but it all seams plausible to me.

Bonte
Jan 14, 2008, 01:29 PM
if this is it i will be extremely let down.

That is why its being 'leaked' :p
All the stuff in this keynote don't seem so special but Apple had to work hard for it to happen (if true), don't forget ongoing iPhone negotiations etc. No revolutionary product this time, only good and steady progress.

No tablet for me but hey, i won't pay $1500 for it so no loss. A small tablet will be there when the asking price hits sub $600, otherwise i don't see a big market for it.

Bonte
Jan 14, 2008, 01:38 PM

The iPhone was rumored for over three years with all the specs, we just didn't believe they were true. 'Leaked' keynotes released the day before the event have been correct a few times.

A Macbook without a drive but with keyboard, trackpad and PC-ports also don't make sense. A Macbook needs the optical drive except when its a tablet.

dwman
Jan 14, 2008, 01:43 PM
Nope. Mac Pro stats (video cards, memory, etc.) are wrong for the models going to be "updated today". Move along, nothing to see.

Another reason it's wrong....No mention of iTunes movie rentals.

strieck
Jan 14, 2008, 01:47 PM

Obviously fake. Near the end it says "Refreshing Mac Pro and Mac mini today." The Mac Pro was refreshed last week, and the new specs don't match those listed here.

Detektiv-Pinky
Jan 14, 2008, 01:49 PM

Ok, this is fake.

The first half is actually quite a good one. I was ready to believe it. However, the second half is loosing the tone and is cutting it short with some really bad lapses in wording (never would Steve call anything in Leopard a mistake).

bdkennedy1
Jan 14, 2008, 01:50 PM
Nor would he apologize for not revealing any new Macs at the 2007 keynote.

Ok, this is fake.

The first half is actually quite a good one. I was ready to believe it. However, the second half is loosing the tone and is cutting it short with some really bad lapses in wording (never would Steve call anything in Leopard a mistake).

Bonte
Jan 14, 2008, 01:51 PM
Another reason it's wrong....No mention of iTunes movie rentals.

A fake leak would definitely mention the rentals, maybe there not ready for prime time. There seemed to be a bandwidth and/or storage problem for non US movie stores.

redboard
Jan 14, 2008, 01:57 PM
...i dont think this is real considering that the itunes update is expected to come with a movie rental addition (which isnt mentioned) and its also inconsistent with the rumors concerning the "ultra-portable" new macbook. Perhaps the rumors are wrong, who knows. I am glad this pops up within hours of the actual keynote though. Otherwise with all the speculation and talk going on i would hardly be able to wait more than a couple of days.

ArmyKnight12
Jan 14, 2008, 01:59 PM
Garbage!

FreeState
Jan 14, 2008, 02:02 PM
'Leaked' keynotes released the day before the event have been correct a few times.

While that may be true - this "leaked keynote" is more than 4 days old:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=83025

pederg
Jan 14, 2008, 02:05 PM
Seen this?? Is twitter one of the early partners for the SDK??

http://twitter.com/ev/statuses/522143562

Peder

knelto
Jan 14, 2008, 02:27 PM
Seen this?? Is twitter one of the early partners for the SDK??

http://twitter.com/ev/statuses/522143562

Peder

I haven't seen that one but I have seen this one:
http://twitter.com/ev/statuses/515951692

I think it's entirely possible. My guess is Facebook would probably make a good SDK partner as well. I would expect at least a DEMO of the SDK, even if it's not going to be made available until February.

pederg
Jan 14, 2008, 03:21 PM
I haven't seen that one but I have seen this one:
http://twitter.com/ev/statuses/515951692

I think it's entirely possible. My guess is Facebook would probably make a good SDK partner as well. I would expect at least a DEMO of the SDK, even if it's not going to be made available until February.

Them 2 together really make it sound pretty convincing..

TyrannoJack
Jan 14, 2008, 05:35 PM
iSight HD would be awesome. I don't know why you guys are saying it's not necessary. A lot of people, including myself, like to make videos and having 720p built in would be amazing. I record stuff from my iSight on my MacBook and though the quality is good, 720p would be amazing.

Definitely a useful feature.