PDA

View Full Version : Buy Macbook or wait until expo!


hullibulli
Jan 10, 2008, 01:41 PM
Hello everybody!

I'm very close to buy a high end MacBook White 2.2GHz, though the Expo is next tuesday. Do you think it's stupid to buy the macbook now or do should i wait? Do you think apple is gonna unveild a new MacBook?

dalvin200
Jan 10, 2008, 01:44 PM
If you can wait 5 days, do so.

If you are totally desperate and need it right now, then go ahead and get one now.

IMO, you should just wait and buy on Tuesday whatever happens

ErikAndre
Jan 10, 2008, 01:51 PM
WAIT!!!! I wouldn't buy *anything* apple until tuesday. Price cuts, new stuff, etc.. just wait.

... if i had a nickel for every time someone asked this... it could be 30 seconds before the keynote, and someone will start another thread "should i wait the 30 seconds???"

Paix247
Jan 10, 2008, 02:03 PM
Hey you can buy my 2GHz C2D MacBook 250GB 3GB RAM so I can have more spending money for Macworld. ;)

LeChuck
Jan 10, 2008, 02:04 PM
I'm in the same situation. I'm the very impatient type, but I'm waiting to see what's announced. Usually, new versions come out at the same price-point as old ones and there's no risk in waiting. Next week you will either have something better than now available or just the same thing.

Aniej
Jan 10, 2008, 02:05 PM
I mean seriously, you need this computer so badly that you cannot wait 5 days? Come buddy, I love apple, but get a bit of self control.:cool:

deputy_doofy
Jan 10, 2008, 02:06 PM
It's only 5 more days. Just wait it out.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jan 10, 2008, 02:08 PM
Yea I think it's pretty much unanimous. Just wait. It's a measley 5 days!!! I really can't think of any rational reason why you would NEED to get it now.

In my honest opinion I don't expect any macbook updates, but you'll be kicking yourself if something happens.

If it was a month or more away I'd say to go ahead and buy it if you really wanted it.

james948
Jan 10, 2008, 03:37 PM
But will the new hardware (and there will be new hardware) be released immediately or in two weeks or a month?

Anyone remember what the delay was between the ibook/macbook introduction was? How long from the macbook being announced until it was available in the apple stores? It's possible it was immediately but I can't remember.

dreadthis
Jan 10, 2008, 03:41 PM
Hello everybody!

I'm very close to buy a high end MacBook White 2.2GHz, though the Expo is next tuesday. Do you think it's stupid to buy the macbook now or do should i wait? Do you think apple is gonna unveild a new MacBook?


I'm in the same boat. Except I want a MBP. I'd wait it out, b/c I would be pissed if a newer model came out 5 days after I bought one. This will be my first mac, and needless to say I want the newest one out there so it'll last me a while.

What
Jan 10, 2008, 05:04 PM
yes, buy a macbook (white high end) right now .
don't regret your decision and look back.

waiting 5 days is just too long if college starts before the 15th.
you wont be able to afford any of the new macbooks.
their all probably high end


there wont be price cuts 3 months after apple updated their consumer line macbooks.
if the white one is what you want...buy it.

Scorch07
Jan 10, 2008, 05:10 PM
But will the new hardware (and there will be new hardware) be released immediately or in two weeks or a month?

Anyone remember what the delay was between the ibook/macbook introduction was? How long from the macbook being announced until it was available in the apple stores? It's possible it was immediately but I can't remember.
It really depends, Sometimes they announce a later release and sometimes immediate. Like I have said in many other threads, I am direly praying for an immediate release, as I am in nearly the same boat as you, waiting for a Macbook Pro. I will not be very happy if Steve says, "Oh, here's that fancy new MBP you waited till Macworld for, but.. oh... sorry, it won't be in stores for two more weeks."

mike12806
Jan 10, 2008, 05:17 PM
It really depends, Sometimes they announce a later release and sometimes immediate. Like I have said in many other threads, I am direly praying for an immediate release, as I am in nearly the same boat as you, waiting for a Macbook Pro. I will not be very happy if Steve says, "Oh, here's that fancy new MBP you waited till Macworld for, but.. oh... sorry, it won't be in stores for two more weeks."

If they didn't change the MacPro design...I have a sneaking suspicion we'll just see the Penryn's getting dropped into the MBP and not much else.

DarrenLamb
Jan 10, 2008, 05:30 PM
If they were to speed bump the MBP wouldn't they have done that with the Mac pro yesterday? Seems like something will change with the MBP line unless they do a silent update in a couple of weeks.

Telp
Jan 10, 2008, 05:33 PM
Unless its a dire emergency, wait till tuesday as something will likely happen (improved something for a cheaper or same price).

igglepuff
Jan 10, 2008, 06:00 PM
Unless its a dire emergency, wait till tuesday as something will likely happen (improved something for a cheaper or same price).

True, however apple has their price guarantee as well as hardware. If you were to actually pick one up today at the apple store you could go in if there's ay changes during the conf, price or hardware. I've had apple reimburse me some $ when there was a price drop on my mac mini years ago (was about a week after i purchased it). If you don't want to deal with the hassle i'd wait it out like everyone else has mentioned

james948
Jan 10, 2008, 06:20 PM
Actually it's not the MBP i'm interested in. It's the plain old MB. I just want any revision; smaller, faster. If they release an ultraportable I'll have that, if they make the MB slimmer then I'll have that. How much are the MBP's anyway with a student discount?

mdh417
Jan 10, 2008, 07:13 PM
myself i bought a mac before the conv so i ifi have any question i can ask while i'm there, figure what accsories i wanted so i can buy them there, i hear that they do not sell computers. i bought mine at fry's and have 15 days to return if i find a better deal(for me at the show). there extended warranty is cheaper and they our local and they provide a free loaner. good luck so far i love mine :)

bhjs1
Jan 10, 2008, 08:31 PM
Wait For Tuesday!!!

mill2000
Jan 10, 2008, 09:01 PM
Hello everybody!

I'm very close to buy a high end MacBook White 2.2GHz, though the Expo is next tuesday. Do you think it's stupid to buy the macbook now or do should i wait? Do you think apple is gonna unveild a new MacBook?

you should totally wait. by tuesday, every retailers in the us is going to offer a huge amount of discounts for macbooks. or you could pay the same price and buy the new macbook pro 13".

minik
Jan 10, 2008, 11:08 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

If I were you, I will wait till MWSF too.

donga
Jan 11, 2008, 12:12 AM
dude, wait.

petejohnson
Jan 11, 2008, 12:28 AM
I am in the same boat. I was on a site, and had a White MB in the cart, was about to press "continue to checkout" and I balked. I came to this site and read a bit that made me want to wait. Initially, I was just waiting for Leopard. I was using a PC at work, and my MB was in use by my wife for her job, and I wanted the Mac environment and interface back. (This was back in October). I waited and waited until Leopard came out, and then I decided to wait even longer, at least until Christmas. Now I've decided to wait until after MW on Tuesday. After that, who knows. If I see what I want after MW, then I'll jump, but I'd like to see what else could happen.

I can really wait indefinitely, since my wife no longer needs my MB, and I use it now. I'll give it to her when I decide on what I'm going to get to replace it, but I'm not dying. I put this sort of thought into it: I'm not really that interested in the newest best gadgets and goodies, I just want the Mac environment and interface on a quick machine. I already have that, so I can really put it off for quite a while until I get exactly what I want. However, there's always the chance that my wife will need this MB back, and that will prompt an immediate purchase rather than going back to using the Compaq.

Just think of it in terms of what's really important, the newest best upgrade system, or will a current system you can have today suffice? Will you feel cheated if you don't get that one new improvement, or several, or will you just be happy to have the Mac? I'm more in the happy to have a Mac and can live without the best newest category. We'll see what happens after MW, but if there's not some big improvement, I'll get another MB anyway.

Jason1973
Jan 11, 2008, 01:35 AM
Having spent the past week deciding to go Mac or stay with PC, i am taking the plunge into the unknown and going for a Macbook Pro. Nearly bought a Macbook Pro 17" singing & dancing top spec model of eBAY for $2800, but have decided to wait until the 15th Jan & buy direct. There has to be something better & newer released at Expro, hopefully faster chips & Blu-Ray too !!

petejohnson
Jan 11, 2008, 06:21 AM
Of course, Blu-Ray will add nearly $900 to your purchase price, and it's already here. If you check with OtherWorld Computing, you can get a BluRay drive and add it to your MBP for around $600. I suppose Apple will make it a BTO option for the MBP, but waiting for them isn't going to save you anything, perhaps. The bluray from OWC is an external firewire/usb, even.

kieranquirke
Jan 11, 2008, 07:11 AM
I have just had delivery of a white macbook - I ordered it shortly after new year as an upgrade of my old G4 ibook which i've had for about 4 years. I knew they had recently been updated and wanted leopard so seemed like a good time to update. I don't use these forums very often, and although I'd generally go apple over PC most of the time I don't religiously follow what apple is doing so I didn't know macworld was around the corner - luckily I'll still be within the 14 day period when macworld happens, so I have the macbook unopened in my flat in case it's worth sending it back and reordering any updated model (there's a restocking fee of 10% if you open it).

I hear what people are saying about getting what you need rather than the 'latest' thing, and the current config suits my needs absolutely fine - music notation mainly, plus the usual emails/web/bit of word etc - but I don't have the cash to upgrade more than every four or so years, so if i'm going to spend the money I would like something thats as up to date as possible...

NC MacGuy
Jan 11, 2008, 08:08 AM
I have just had delivery of a white macbook - I ordered it shortly after new year as an upgrade of my old G4 ibook which i've had for about 4 years. I knew they had recently been updated and wanted leopard so seemed like a good time to update. I don't use these forums very often, and although I'd generally go apple over PC most of the time I don't religiously follow what apple is doing so I didn't know macworld was around the corner - luckily I'll still be within the 14 day period when macworld happens, so I have the macbook unopened in my flat in case it's worth sending it back and reordering any updated model (there's a restocking fee of 10% if you open it).

I hear what people are saying about getting what you need rather than the 'latest' thing, and the current config suits my needs absolutely fine - music notation mainly, plus the usual emails/web/bit of word etc - but I don't have the cash to upgrade more than every four or so years, so if i'm going to spend the money I would like something thats as up to date as possible...

Having what you need that suits your needs is fine but if they do introduce something sweeter, leaner, faster, sexier, LIGHTER you'll be glad you didn't open that box! Hold out- it's only a few days mate....

themadchemist
Jan 12, 2008, 02:06 PM
wait wait wait. If you've managed without it this long, you can wait a couple of days.

jaimem
Jan 12, 2008, 02:13 PM
i say hold out! especially since it is only a few days away! you'll be disappointed if you dont;)

CWallace
Jan 12, 2008, 03:04 PM
Absolutely wait.