PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks iPhone Ordering Concept Design

MacRumors
Jan 10, 2008, 02:56 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Multimedia designer, Phil Lu, has created some mockups (http://www.genoco.com/link/interactive_quickOrder.html) of an iPhone application that he calls "QuickOrder":

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/01/10/interactive_quickOrder_t_500.jpg

Surprisingly, the mockups were created before the publicized (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/27/buying-to-go-items-with-your-iphone/) patent application in which Apple explores to-go ordering from the iPhone. The series of images show how such a system might work.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/01/10/starbucks-iphone-ordering-concept-design/)

JohnnyQuest
Jan 10, 2008, 02:58 PM
coming from a starbucks addict- this looks awesome.

Drumjim85
Jan 10, 2008, 02:59 PM
Love it!! ... but i always thought that you would be able to pay through itunes .. and have it bill you .. that way you just order it and go .. totally bypassing the payment process .. (and waiting in line)

JohnnyQuest
Jan 10, 2008, 03:01 PM
Love it!! ... but i always thought that you would be able to pay through itunes .. and have it bill you .. that way you just order it and go .. totally bypassing the payment process .. (and waiting in line)

that would be so ridiculously amazing.

Drumjim85
Jan 10, 2008, 03:02 PM
that would be so ridiculously amazing.

and why not ... they already have you buying their songs and paying for them through itunes .. why not your order..

Telp
Looks awesome. Im not a huge fan of Starbucks but i would start going there to use this!!

PlaceofDis
very interesting and neat.
might be a niche market, but i could see it working.

QuarterSwede
Jan 10, 2008, 03:04 PM
And after Apple or Jobs sees that, he's hired :D

keeyox
Jan 10, 2008, 03:06 PM
this would be amazing. so much potential with this sort of thing. though i do agree, billing through itunes would make things so much faster and better.

plumbingandtech
Jan 10, 2008, 03:14 PM
They should hire you!

odedia
Jan 10, 2008, 03:14 PM
The amount of creativity that exists in the iPhone community never seize to amaze me.

I can't wait for the official SDK and all the goodie we'll have with it.

Zoboomafoo
Jan 10, 2008, 03:16 PM
Ok. I did a little research. I want to make sure Mac Rumors understands that the difference between a *published* patent application and a *filed* patent application is 18 months. In other words, Apple files a patent and 18 months later that application is published for all to see.

So when you say it predated the application, it has to predate the filing date, not the publication date. Seeing as how it's not been 18 months since we saw the iPhone, this can't exactly predate anything Apple did.

I had to look into the original articles you posted, from both macrumors and forbes. It appears the discrepancy shows up again. Forbes says "published" you say "filed."

It's not a big deal. Just a semantic issue, really. (and i have no idea if the forbes/macrumors discrepancy is a result of some later editing by forbes. It's not like you would have hand written that excerpt :) )

gauchogolfer
Jan 10, 2008, 03:17 PM
That design is outstanding.

*gets excited for MWSF all over again*

chr1s60
Jan 10, 2008, 03:25 PM
This would be pretty cool as long as all the people working at Starbucks could handle it without screwing up orders and everything.

floatingspirit
Jan 10, 2008, 03:26 PM
Hmm...they could organize the drink types like play lists or albums "coffees", "teas" or lattes, frozen or some other categories and then open one up to scroll through the individual drinks like songs in an album.

Drumjim85
Jan 10, 2008, 03:26 PM
This would be pretty cool as long as all the people working at Starbucks could handle it without screwing up orders and everything.

I'm sure getting an electronic print out of whats ordered is easier than scribble on a cup...

Mac-Addict
Jan 10, 2008, 03:28 PM
Am I the only one that sees an iPod Touch when looking at those pictures.. you would of thought they would get the correct device first. The AT&T Logo implies its an iPhone but its got a shiny curved edges.

plumbingandtech
Jan 10, 2008, 03:33 PM
Am I the only one that sees an iPod Touch when looking at those pictures.. you would of thought they would get the correct device first. The AT&T Logo implies its an iPhone but its got a shiny curved edges.

No. :rolleyes: I'm just admiring the concept and the artwork ignoring the little imperfections.

rorober
Jan 10, 2008, 03:34 PM
I find this amazing!

If this takes off, I'll be able to order from Kroger, Papa John's maybe even a mail order bride!

mrat93
Jan 10, 2008, 03:36 PM

... and no *thing where you put your ear while talking.* (I forgot what it was called.)

Drumjim85
Jan 10, 2008, 03:37 PM
... and no *thing where you put your ear while talking.* (I forgot what it was called.)

a speaker?? :D

Rojo
Jan 10, 2008, 04:05 PM
This looks REALLY cool - and as a Starbucks "grande soy no-water chai" junkie, the potential of this excites me.

But...call me slow, how exactly would this work -- or make a trip to Starbucks any faster? From the looks of it, you enter your order ahead of time, then it generates a semacode, and then that has to be scanned at the counter? Wouldn't you still need to stand in line for that? That just makes a system where it's unnecessary to talk to your barista, which seems awfully anti-social, if you ask me. ;)

And even if you didn't need to stand in line, and you could somehow bypass it (paying through iTunes or something) and just walk up and get your drink...does that mean it's just been sitting there the whole time? Would a barista have to still scan your semacode before giving you your drink? What happens if a lot of people end up ordering this way...would that mean a lot of drinks just waiting around for people to pick them up?

I have two Starbucks I frequent regularly. The one near home is super-small and hardly ever has anyone in it. When I go there, there's hardly any time that goes by between entering, ordering/paying, and getting my drink -- it's super-quick already. So an ordering system like this wouldn't be necessary there. The other Starbucks near work is almost ALWAYS over-crowded, however. It's SO chaotic that I can't see how this iPhone ordering system would be more helpful there either. Drinks are always getting messed up, and stuff gets remade all the time. I can only see an additional iPhone system adding to the general confusion and delaying drinks even further.

Maybe I'm overthinking this...but was just curious how something like this really makes things any faster or easier. I guess it would have to go through an awkward adjustment period until enough people were doing it this way that it would work smoothly and efficiently.

It definitely LOOKS cool. One day we'll be doing EVERYTHING on our iPhones... :D

Ollie Lee
Jan 10, 2008, 04:09 PM
This looks awesome - now you can not only avoid eye contact with the 'person' behind the counter, but totally escape having to speak to them either!

Oh, and there is no way that Starbucks will ever bring in a policy that sees some customers get their drink quicker just because they have an Apple gadget.

This feature just isn't necessary. Unplug for a few minutes, even if only to buy a cup of coffee.

Squonk
Jan 10, 2008, 04:27 PM
This would completely bypass the impulsive buys at the checkout that Starbucks probably makes a mint on! You know, like gum, bakery, cds, or MINTS.

Cool concept, but defeats a lot of what the cluttered checkout represents...

And I agree, it takes away from your daily bonding with another coffeelover (hopefully) on the other side of the counter.

macfan881
Jan 10, 2008, 04:33 PM
this is a neat feature it be nice if other Companys get into this imagine ordering a pizza like this through ur ipod touch/iphone i hope this does expand to other areas than starbucks.

mackensteff
Jan 10, 2008, 04:38 PM
Quote the article"
"Get your coffee fix, fast!" iPhone/iPod Touch application that allows the users to purchase their favorite Starbucks drink without waiting in line. This application also includes QuickPay, a swipe transaction system using semacode technology.

This could work equally well on the touch or phone or you could even print out a piece of paper from a computer and carry it with you into the store. Then you wouldn't need to spend 10 minutes listing all your additions!

ntrigue
Jan 10, 2008, 04:44 PM
This is well-conceived and beautiful interface. I would use and abuse frequently....

bretm
Jan 10, 2008, 04:50 PM
They need to get rid of charging for the internet in their stores. It's extremely lame and very last century kind of idea. If you want me to sit all day and drink extremely profitable coffee, you should for out the $75 a month for internet access. There's hardly anything cheaper a business can do than add wireless internet. Most likely they already have internet, so it's really just a one time cost of a $100 transmitter. But no, they've got all this T-Mobile crap. Nearly every restaurant I go to has free internet. No passwords, no codes. Just internet. Trying to charge me for it just pisses me off.

MacTheSpoon
Jan 10, 2008, 04:56 PM
The amount of creativity that exists in the iPhone community never seize to amaze me.

I can't wait for the official SDK and all the goodie we'll have with it.

I agree, I can't wait, either!

christall109
Jan 10, 2008, 05:12 PM
I think its an amazing idea.

Think of the endless possibilities this has. Apple could easily expand this.
Apple could easily make deals with the biggest fast-food chains out there.

Imagine doing this at McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, Dunkin Donuts, Subway, and Papa Ginos.

HOW Awsome whould THAT be?
If America needed to get any fatter.......this would do it.

jonny
Jan 10, 2008, 05:14 PM
Starbucks... it's like drinking the urine of satan after a healthy dose of asparagus.
:D

Mac-Addict
Jan 10, 2008, 05:17 PM
Starbucks... it's like drinking the urine of satan after a healthy dose of asparagus.

Ew how do you know what that tastes like..

synth3tik
Jan 10, 2008, 05:18 PM
Wish Starbucks had better coffee.

nbs2
Jan 10, 2008, 05:18 PM
Like many of the others, I think it would be difficult to implement a payment system with this idea. There are too many other things that SB sells that would be tough to account for. What if you want a muffin, but they are out of the kind you like?

The idea someone mentioned of using the program to simply pre-create your order would be the most convenient in helping to ensure (in theory) that orders are done correctly. Just scan at the POS and pay with cash/CC there (or have it deducted from your account). It wouldn't be a time saving issue, so much as a efficiency enhancer.

The only thing I would change in the mock-up is adding the "alternative" drinks. :D

Drumjim85
Jan 10, 2008, 05:38 PM
Imagine doing this at McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, Dunkin Donuts, Subway, and Papa Ginos.

HOW Awsome whould THAT be?
If America needed to get any fatter.......this would do it.

maybe its a regional thing ... but what's Pap Ginos ??

kuebby
Jan 10, 2008, 05:53 PM
It really is a great idea, though kind of unfair to people without Apple products. It speeds up the process to order electronically but there must be some way to make the system work with any device that has wi-fi.

mashinhead
Jan 10, 2008, 05:55 PM
i hate starbucks

Peel
Jan 10, 2008, 06:25 PM
While this prototype is awesome, and an increadibly great looking interface, it's not very Starbucks. Howard Schultz (CEO/Chairman) is all about the personal contact between you and your barrista. The whole Starbucks culture is created around the interaction, so I don't see them actually embracing this idea, no matter how cool it looks.

elppa
Jan 10, 2008, 06:36 PM
It's very beautiful and I am not saying I could do any better, but I have some questions for the author:

[1] Why does it say 1/3 on every screen? 1 out of 3 what?
[2] The order button isn't very obvious.
[3] What does the cup corespond to? Is it the progress? Is this tied to the 1/3.
[4] What do the +/- buttons do — add multiple quantities of the same drink?
[5] Can you only pick one favourite as “My Favorite” implies? Wouldn't “Save to favorites” or “Save as Favorite” make more sense?
[6] The notes are a nice touch, but how do you access the note entry screen and why isn't the note displayed on the confirmation screen before you order?
[7] Why is the drink $3.59 and the total $11.34? Are there other drinks on the same order and if so, where are these displayed.

jonny
Jan 10, 2008, 06:38 PM
Ew how do you know what that tastes like..
Cocaine is a hell of a drug

bretm
Jan 10, 2008, 06:41 PM
It really is a great idea, though kind of unfair to people without Apple products. It speeds up the process to order electronically but there must be some way to make the system work with any device that has wi-fi.

That's like saying the express lane is unfair to those without a spouse. Or pizza delivery is unfair to those without phones. What exactly would make this unfair? You have a constitutional right to speedy coffee or something?

Jade Cambell
Jan 10, 2008, 09:40 PM
This would be absolutely amazing. As long as you're inside the starbuck's wi-fi network, it would recognize your iPhone, and register what you order and register that you paid for it. Then all you have to do is go inside and pick up your stuff. I wonder how you'd prove that it's you though....

Rychy
Jan 10, 2008, 09:53 PM
Being a Washingtonian that would be awesome! I'd love to show something like that off to one of my friends... she'd be so jealous. Hope it happens.

ifjake
Jan 11, 2008, 02:26 AM
While this prototype is awesome, and an incredibly great looking interface, it's not very Starbucks. Howard Schultz (CEO/Chairman) is all about the personal contact between you and your barrista. The whole Starbucks culture is created around the interaction, so I don't see them actually embracing this idea, no matter how cool it looks.

yeah, but then Starbucks also has drive thru's. i'm sure Schultz would prefer the more traditional personal-interaction way, but as with drive thru's i'm sure they'd allow for a fair amount of leeway. the personal contact option will always be there, of course. i envision this as being a sort of "walk thru", using the similar system set up for drive thru's, only instead of a person with a headset who keys in the order, you'd do it yourself with your iPhone. you'd still have to wait for your drink to get through the "drink queue", but yes this would bypass the line to the register at least. realistically, i highly doubt this actually happening, but i definitely see this as being more practical than the restaurant version of Microsoft's "Surface" table, as the bulk of the technology expense (ie owning an iPhone) lies in the responsibility of the customer.

Matteh117
Jan 11, 2008, 03:55 AM
I would find myself going to Starbucks often JUST to use this.. Eek!

Jesus on OSX
Jan 11, 2008, 05:13 AM
It's creative, but not very much.

The drinks should be in Cover Flow mode once you rotate the screen

guzhogi
Jan 11, 2008, 12:51 PM
This looks REALLY cool - and as a Starbucks "grande soy no-water chai" junkie, the potential of this excites me.

But...call me slow, how exactly would this work -- or make a trip to Starbucks any faster? From the looks of it, you enter your order ahead of time, then it generates a semacode, and then that has to be scanned at the counter? Wouldn't you still need to stand in line for that? That just makes a system where it's unnecessary to talk to your barista, which seems awfully anti-social, if you ask me. ;)

And even if you didn't need to stand in line, and you could somehow bypass it (paying through iTunes or something) and just walk up and get your drink...does that mean it's just been sitting there the whole time? Would a barista have to still scan your semacode before giving you your drink? What happens if a lot of people end up ordering this way...would that mean a lot of drinks just waiting around for people to pick them up?

I have two Starbucks I frequent regularly. The one near home is super-small and hardly ever has anyone in it. When I go there, there's hardly any time that goes by between entering, ordering/paying, and getting my drink -- it's super-quick already. So an ordering system like this wouldn't be necessary there. The other Starbucks near work is almost ALWAYS over-crowded, however. It's SO chaotic that I can't see how this iPhone ordering system would be more helpful there either. Drinks are always getting messed up, and stuff gets remade all the time. I can only see an additional iPhone system adding to the general confusion and delaying drinks even further.

Maybe I'm overthinking this...but was just curious how something like this really makes things any faster or easier. I guess it would have to go through an awkward adjustment period until enough people were doing it this way that it would work smoothly and efficiently.

You probably choose what you want on your iPhone, click "Send" (or whatever), your order will pop up on a computer in the Starbucks and the barista sees it & makes it. I'd like to know how you pay for it. WHether it's cash/credit or through iTunes. We'll have to wait & see.

maestro55
Jan 11, 2008, 01:05 PM
This does indeed look awesome, and as pointed out such programs could expand into other markets. Pizza services already have ordering online, so imagine ordering pizza or even fast food meals right from your iPhone or iPod touch.

riverfreak
Jan 11, 2008, 01:46 PM
I have two Starbucks I frequent regularly. The one near home is super-small and hardly ever has anyone in it.

You live in NYC near a Starbucks that hardly has anyone in it? Now THAT is a firs! The line for the bathroom alone is usually out the door.

thechidz
Jan 11, 2008, 01:54 PM

that would be so cool, if every store used paypal and paypal dropped their ridiculous fees life would be perfect:cool:

thechidz
Jan 11, 2008, 01:56 PM
You live in NYC near a Starbucks that hardly has anyone in it? Now THAT is a firs! The line for the bathroom alone is usually out the door.

nah depends on where you are. On the upper west side there are quite a few starbucks that arent too busy

silbeej
Jan 11, 2008, 02:03 PM
I think it would be great to be able to place an order, and by the time you get out of your car and to the store, the drink would be ready. But with this system, i would imagine that stores would get a lot of fake orders, and they would have drinks that no one has paid for or claimed.

killerrobot
Jan 11, 2008, 02:08 PM
I'm sure getting an electronic print out of whats ordered is easier than scribble on a cup...

And probably easier to deal with than someone that doesn't know what they want, what to order, or how to order it...

I don't think the billing should go through itunes though - you should either have a CC on file for charges, or some sort of credit on the phone that automatically gets debited when orders are sent. Apple needs to know what I ordered as much as the guy in line next to me.

This is a cool idea, but I wonder how many other restaurants/bars would be able to do this so that it would be cost effective for them?

abates25
Jan 11, 2008, 02:16 PM
I live in Seattle and have a number of friends working at Starbucks. All say that while this was in development, that it isn't going to actually happen. We'll see on the 14th, but I'd guess this was an idea which didn't amount to much more than some scripting and graphics...

e-coli
Jan 11, 2008, 02:25 PM
Nice design, but...

It won't work. Scanners won't read barcodes or semacodes off the iPhone screen. I tried it with a receipt sent to me by the Apple Store. The Apple Store scanners can't scan receipts off the screen. My guess is this is a universal problem.

Telp
Jan 11, 2008, 02:37 PM
It could like, charge your iTunes account. Wouldnt that be great...

Juno Soundtrack
Modest Mouse
Grande Mocha Latté...

mrgreen4242
Jan 11, 2008, 03:00 PM
They need to get rid of charging for the internet in their stores. It's extremely lame and very last century kind of idea. If you want me to sit all day and drink extremely profitable coffee, you should for out the $75 a month for internet access. There's hardly anything cheaper a business can do than add wireless internet. Most likely they already have internet, so it's really just a one time cost of a $100 transmitter. But no, they've got all this T-Mobile crap. Nearly every restaurant I go to has free internet. No passwords, no codes. Just internet. Trying to charge me for it just pisses me off.

I was surprised to find that out (not a Starbucks customer). My only thinking is that TMobile pays them to be the "official WiFi provider" at their stores. TMo sells unlimited access to their hotspots for a monthly fee, so they need to have alot of them all over the place in order to entire people to use it. My guess is they share some of that revenue with Starbucks... otherwise they would surely give away like all of their competitors.

Back to the original topic, it's a neat idea, but it needs to be merged with your iTMS account so your name and CC are attached to the "order". It also needs to be an open framework so that all kinds of places could implement it. You set up a WiFi AP and install the software, in which you enter in the items and prices for all the things you want to sell through this gateway.

The application broadcasts a signal that iPod touches/iPhones pick up and automatically add an icon to your Springboard that lets you place the order. Once you submit it, you're charged, and only then does it get sent to the store employees.

So, as an example, McDonald's could put all their combos on it, you pick the one(s) you want, submit/pay, they make your food and when it's ready just call out your name, what you ordered, an order number (that's displayed to you as a confirmation number), whatever.

Any store that has a sales counter could use this. Fast food restaurants, coffee shops, maybe movie theaters/concession stands, I'm sure there's more.

Love
Jan 11, 2008, 04:42 PM
an Venti iLatte with Vanilla Shot to go, please :)

SeanSweeney
Jan 13, 2008, 10:54 AM
you wouldnt catch me dead at starbucks, but this is a good example as to how much potential that the iphone can have for the future

Spievy
Jan 13, 2008, 08:24 PM
three letters...

WOW :eek:

Hummer
Jan 13, 2008, 09:36 PM
As a barista, I don't see this as more than a novelty. People will still order their beverage the same way and the iPhone users will only do it to look/be cool. Sure, it'll help us out, but I have no problem marking cups.

Now for the "as an iPhone user."

As an iPhone user, I see myself using this App 50 million times a day even when I'm not thirsty. I just wonder how we could get our partner discount through it.

Oh yea, and would there be a pastry option that will update with the store's current stock.

Edit: There is no Breve on the menu under milk options.

mrat93
Jan 13, 2008, 10:22 PM
i hate starbucks

i hate you

edit: Just so I don't get banned for the keynote again... Just kidding!

genoco
Jan 13, 2008, 10:55 PM
Demo animation:
http://genoco.com/link/interactive_quickOrder.html

tobyringle
Jan 16, 2008, 09:29 PM
Here is my theory on how it could work efficiently. Just like iTunes wifi, a Starbucks icon (or an icon of ANY participating retailer) shows up on your iphone/ipod touch once you actually are in the store. You place your order through the program as described above, and its paid for via iTunes. No need to stand in line...just wait for your name to be called. I know I would be buying a lot more vanilla latte's just for the cool factor.

spazattack674
Jan 17, 2008, 03:05 PM
This seems like a great idea, but it seems to clash with the normal starbucks "experience". Starbucks is a very social place. This seems like a rather antisocial solution. However, being able to pay through your iPhone/iPod Touch and be billed through iTunes or some other service would be a brilliant idea that would surely save time.

harrybon92
Jan 19, 2008, 12:38 PM
if they really wanted to im sure they can get some kind of system that can count or see how many muffins and snacks are left. for example if there is three muffins left on the muffin section of your iphone could say three or just say they are available. there are many possibilities if you just think about them.