Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kenny Pollock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2003
Hollywood, FL
I'm working as a technical member of an inhouse broadcast television show for my school, "Wave TV."

I'm upgrading the systems, and the school recently let me buy an eMac for video editing purposes.

I have a bunch of questions!

First of all, is there anything that will show visualizations in full screen, like iTunes' visualizations, but without Apple logo on it for a while, and where we can choose which one to use? We'll be using it as the introduction to the show, to go with the choice of music we play.

What about exporting from eMac to the TV? We got the "Apple Video Adapter" under the AppleStore accessories page, and a cord into video in on tv and video out on eMac. We see a gray screen, can't make any of the lines out, but when we move a window on the eMac (in Jaguar) we see the lines move on the TV. I thought it might be the hertz, and the lowest the eMac let's us choose is 89Hz.

Could we edit video in realtime? Like record it into the system right away, and add transitions with iMovie and then export it from iMovie when the system is done recording?
Like, we shoot it on camera, and it will show up in iMovie while we shoot it, and we hit transition and a transition cuts in. What about another program (freeware) ?
How?

Thanks for your help :)

Wano

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2002
Well, I know with Final Cut Pro the faster your computer is the more realtime effects you get and with the seing the video on a a tv, i have my editing system hooked up to my camcorder which is then hooked up to a tv, and all i have to do is press cntrl+f12 and it will allow you to view your timeline on the tv as you work.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
iMovie has to render all transitions and edits offline, so you won't be able to do what you ask, the FCP realtime FX require serious processor power and the eMac, worthy as it is simply can't cut it.

You can record in realtime into iMovie, simply put the camera into standby and hit import, then start recording, whatever you record on the camera will be shunted into iMovie.

I don't know of an app that uses iTunes-style FX, but that don't mean there isn't one.

Kenny Pollock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2003
Hollywood, FL
Wano, by real time do you mean the a 5 minutes clip will take 5 minutes to render? Because that's not what I need. You see, our show is live, and we need to produce the transitions on the fly. Like we have two camera inputs on fire wire, and we can transition back in forth between that.

Also since we can't get the monitor mirroring to work so it outputs analog video, is it possible to have Mac OS X send whatever is on the screen in a fire wire stream, and then use a DV camera to output that in analog form? Is there any hardware that will do this, like a box with fire wire in, and composite video out?

Wano

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2002
i don't know how you would do that live, and no realtime would not do it. i am not sure if fcp or iMovie is the right program for that, or even if you can do it with those programs. maybe you need a mixingboard of some sort. good luck!

Kenny Pollock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2003
Hollywood, FL
We use a video mixer and transition machine already, but we'd like to get up to date.

Our equipment is over 5 years old, and we'd like to be able to do professional things, such as use a computer to do so.

If this all goes well with the eMac, then the county will approve giving me and my teammate new Powerbooks to take home and edit school events using them, and a G5 1.8 or Dual 2GHz for the studio.

Wano

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by kidd0

If this all goes well with the eMac, then the county will approve giving me and my teammate new Powerbooks to take home and edit school events using them, and a G5 1.8 or Dual 2GHz for the studio.

that sound way sweet! hope you get it!!!

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by kidd0
Wano, by real time do you mean the a 5 minutes clip will take 5 minutes to render? Because that's not what I need. You see, our show is live, and we need to produce the transitions on the fly. Like we have two camera inputs on fire wire, and we can transition back in forth between that.

Also since we can't get the monitor mirroring to work so it outputs analog video, is it possible to have Mac OS X send whatever is on the screen in a fire wire stream, and then use a DV camera to output that in analog form? Is there any hardware that will do this, like a box with fire wire in, and composite video out?

What you are looking to do is not possible w/the software and hardware you have. Editing programs such as iMovie, Final Cut, or even Avid's line of non-linear editing software, can't be used as live video switchers. Also, AFAIK when you capture video via FW there can be only one source at a time so hooking two cameras up to the same computer won't work. The program won't know which device to capture from.

Lethal

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
have you looked over versiontracker? I don't personally know whats available but i think that you are going to need custom hardware (read: not a personal computer (mac or pc)) to do this sort of stuff. I use FCP4 and even on my DP1G-MDD i do not get any of those effects in RT.

Not even apple gets them in RT. They actually have a five minute delay on webcasts to allow for any fx to be processed.

If you watch the January keynote (dont have a link, sorry) you will see what apple can do live so to speak, but they have "a whole graphics department".

PensDevil

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2003
PA
wrong software for the job

The primary problem here is that you are trying to use the wrong software for the job. iMovie, FCP, etc.. are all editing software. They are not designed to do transitions (dissolves, cuts, wipes) in real time with regards to a live signal. The "real time" effects advertised in FCP are for viewing edits between two clips of video that have previously been imported.

Using a video mixer does not mean you are low-tech or living in the past. A great many local stations and live event production rigs still use this technology. That being said...

There is a "software" solution to replacing the video mixer, but such software generally requires additional hardware to function (custom add on cards internally, or external boxes connected via special PCI card). The wonderful old Amiga's could function as a video mixer and character generator using a hardware/software package from VideoToaster (Garth wears a shirt from Video Toaster is Wayne's World). In the modern age, VideoToaster has risen from the ashes somewhat, with a new version that runs on Windows 2000 and provides the functionality that you are seeking (with their special hardware of course).

I'm sure there are other similar solutions out there, but the equal or better solutions are most likely more costly. The best solution, IMHO, is to use the right tool for the right job: the video mixer for live transitions, a dedicated CG for live graphics and save the Macs for the NLE jobs.

**EDIT** Formatted text to look better.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
We the eMac is definatly not going to be handle what you have in mind,

Your looking at some serious digital broadcast hardware solutions.

Your looking at a possible $200,000 system. - or more

the eMac will be a great machine for editing, and maybe even creating titles, and graphics to be impossed onto the broad cast, and your probably even going to get away with running video off of it, But your not going to control several camera's through it.

what your looking at is a possible stripped down version of this

http://www.avid.com/products/product_list.asp?marketid=2

good luck with your broadcast though, i was really involved in my closed circuit TV station at school - and let me tell you a eMac, some powerbooks, and a G5 won't cut it.

Don't write analouge (spelling?) completely off - PensDevil is right, a lot of local stations still use analouge systems, but use digital for editing, nothing wrong with "old" technology if it gets the job done right - newer is not always better

gipson

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2005
maybe this could work

maybe this software could work for you. you really need a much faster computer to do anything realtime though.

http://www.vidvox.net/

Go here and check out VDMX. its for real time video editing i believe. i use their other product GRID, but i have demo-ed VDMX a little.

i'm actually going the other way. i want to get an older video mixer and analog video effects generator. any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.