PDA

View Full Version : The all new (limited edition) iPod BT

mystixman
Oct 9, 2003, 10:13 PM
I wish this was real :p . Just a quick mockup in flash. It would be a bluetooth iPod.

Marble
Oct 9, 2003, 11:55 PM
Ah crap. My earbud fell into a grate in the street.

legion
Oct 10, 2003, 02:49 AM
Bluetooth would drain what already is a lackluster battery life (especially compared to the original iPod.) Apple needs to fix the battery issue first before it could create these add-on i/o options. Plus space would be needed for a BT transmitter.

mmmdreg
Oct 10, 2003, 06:34 AM
Can't those OLED things do wonders for the battery life? I think I read that they're thinner and less power-consuming because they don't need the seperate light source a LCD needs or something...

Lanbrown
Oct 10, 2003, 08:01 AM
Yes, but they are also expensive. If you take a 17" OLED full color display, it costs two million dollars. Compare that to the cost of a 17" TFT display. Of course, that 17" is one of the largest OLED displays ever created. The manufacturing process from OLED is still far from perfect and still very costly. While they can make much smaller displays in a reasonable quantity, the size that the iPod requires would force Apple to increase the price.

patrick0brien
Oct 10, 2003, 10:44 AM
-legion

Only when discoverable.

BT in Passive consumes very very little - this is its key advantage compared with WiFi.

mactastic
Oct 10, 2003, 10:53 AM
I thought BT wasn't fast enough to provide decent audio?

Anyway, I want a WiFi box connected to my stereo that functions as a wireless base station, as well as AV input/output from the amp to the computer. Then I can stream my music from my laptop to my good speakers, and I won't have to buy a really good set of computer speakers.

iJon
Oct 10, 2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by legion
Bluetooth would drain what already is a lackluster battery life (especially compared to the original iPod.) Apple needs to fix the battery issue first before it could create these add-on i/o options. Plus space would be needed for a BT transmitter.
i dont think apple will fix it anytime soon. apple chose a smaller battery so they could make the ipods as thin as they are now. thats why old ipods and other mp3 players are thicker and bulkier with more battery life. lucky for me i listen to my ipod just enough for it to get my through the and charge it when i get home.

iJon

patrick0brien
Oct 10, 2003, 11:10 AM
-mactastic

BT can sustain throughputs as high as 356kbps - more than enough for a full quality 128kbps AAC file.

Lanbrown
Oct 10, 2003, 11:16 AM
It has the capability, but is the spectrum there? The 2.4GHz is a very popular spectrum since it is unlicensed. Phones, Wi-Fi, BT, etc. are all on that spectrum.

illumin8
Oct 10, 2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by mactastic
Anyway, I want a WiFi box connected to my stereo that functions as a wireless base station, as well as AV input/output from the amp to the computer. Then I can stream my music from my laptop to my good speakers, and I won't have to buy a really good set of computer speakers.
This product doesn't quite do everything you mentioned (you still need a separate Airport base station or any other AP), but it is only about $100 and works awesome:

Linksys Wireless Media Adapter (http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=554)

Oh, it not only plays MP3s through your stereo, but it also displays your photos on your TV and can do a slide show while the music is playing. It has a remote as well.

Basically, this thing does almost everything XBox Media Player does except playback Divx and video.

patrick0brien
Oct 10, 2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by illumin8
This product doesn't quite do everything you mentioned (you still need a separate Airport base station or any other AP), but it is only about $100 and works awesome:

Linksys Wireless Media Adapter (http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=554)

Oh, it not only plays MP3s through your stereo, but it also displays your photos on your TV and can do a slide show while the music is playing. It has a remote as well.

Basically, this thing does almost everything XBox Media Player does except playback Divx and video.

-illumin8

Hey, great find!

ibookin'
Oct 11, 2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-mactastic

BT can sustain throughputs as high as 356kbps - more than enough for a full quality 128kbps AAC file.

To stream the AAC-encoded file in the way you're talking about there would have to be an AAC decorder in the earbuds, which is not an option due to the size and power requirements of such a chip.

On that note, could the hardware for Bluetooth fit in the earbuds? I don't think so, since the only self-contained Bluetooth headset I've seen (Jabra FreeSpeak) is quite a bit larger than the iPod earbuds to accomodate the BT circuitry and power source.

Wireless headphones are a different story, because they have plenty of space for the RF reciever and power source (usually rechargeable).

Nice idea, but I don't think it's possible at the moment.

aswitcher
Oct 11, 2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by ibookin'
To stream the AAC-encoded file in the way you're talking about there would have to be an AAC decorder in the earbuds, which is not an option due to the size and power requirements of such a chip.

On that note, could the hardware for Bluetooth fit in the earbuds? I don't think so, since the only self-contained Bluetooth headset I've seen (Jabra FreeSpeak) is quite a bit larger than the iPod earbuds to accomodate the BT circuitry and power source.

Wireless headphones are a different story, because they have plenty of space for the RF reciever and power source (usually rechargeable).

Nice idea, but I don't think it's possible at the moment.

Well take a look at this
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/details&contentid=7010&crid=1628&detail=2&countryid=18&languageid=1

:)

Jason

oh, and this

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Id=431

ColoJohnBoy
Oct 11, 2003, 02:25 AM
I really hope they release some Bluetooth headphones (not earbuds) along with the new BT iPods. Earbuds seriously hurt my head, but if they could get some sleek, stylin' BT headphones I'd be all about it. It is possible, right? I've seen that some of the newer cell phones have bluetooth headsets that are relatively compact and quite comfortable. Here's to hoping.....

ibookin'
Oct 11, 2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by aswitcher
Well take a look at this
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/details&contentid=7010&crid=1628&detail=2&countryid=18&languageid=1

:)

Jason

oh, and this

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Id=431

That is almost exactly what I was talking about, except made by Logitech instead of Jabra.