PDA

View Full Version : Instant mania (12" iBook)

raketen_mensch
Oct 9, 2003, 11:51 PM
I needed a cheap laptop, and just hated to pay the M$ tax. Besides, nothing I saw looked very solid. So I went to the Apple store, figuring I'd buy what they had and put Linux or *BSD on it.

I left with the lowest-spec iBook they had. It would be fine for email, probably it would run X11 okay, so I expected to just get rid of the Mac OS and put on Linux.

However, I'd never tried OS X.. The last time I had anything to do with a Mac it was with the ex-wife's PowerBook running OS 8 (I think), and I could not abide it. I tinkered with OS X - and found that -this- Mac OS, I could use. There was a CLI and a real file hierarchy. However, I could not figure out -how to install a program- in the GUI. I was launching programs from the disk images and leaving the images on the desktop. One of the Mac gurus at work helped after he stopped laughing.

The iBook did everything I wanted, and then I tried plugging my camera into it. When it not only launched iPhoto but correctly identified the camera and offered to unload it, I was astonished. And pleased.

The more stuff I tried, the more stuff worked. The OS has never hung, panicked or given me a moment's trouble. All the *BSD programs I'm used to, build fine and work right. Most of the Mac freeware I've tried worked right, too.

So - now I am hooked. KDE looks clunky and feels worse in comparison, even when it has the benefit of a real keyboard and multiple-button mouse.

My only regret is that I bought the cheap-seats iBook. I'm having real trouble not going right out and getting a G5, since even when I'm home the computer I use the most is the iBook. I have never been so delighted with a computer.

-R.

stoid
Oct 10, 2003, 12:33 AM
AWESOME!!!!

This is great news, and it explains why Windows users aren't fleeing to Mac OS X in droves. They simply don't know that it's better. They hear that Apple has released a "revolutionary OS" and they think, Windows XP is a "revolutionary OS" and it's just the same recycled crap thats ben tumbling since Windows 3.1 and so they don't realize that Mac OS X really is that different. Great to hear though that another Windows user has "seen the light!"

QCassidy352
Oct 10, 2003, 12:59 AM
awesome story man. So glad to hear that it's working out so well for you. One of the great things about OS X is that it allows people who really know what they are talking about (as it seems you do, at least in general - you'll learn OS X fast I'm sure! :) ) a whole lot of control.

Panther should be even better - apparently much faster, some very cool new features, probably even more stable eventually (though I've never had the slightest problem with Jag.) Welcome!

fraeone
Oct 19, 2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by stoid
Great to hear though that another Windows user has "seen the light!"

I think he said pretty clearly that he was already a Linux/BSD user, and had abandoned Windows on his PC already.

A more apt description might be: "Another KDE user has seen the light" -- while KDE has made some good progress in recent years, it doesn't hold a candle to the OSX UI.

ColoJohnBoy
Oct 19, 2003, 12:56 PM
Hey now, a switcher is a switcher. Let's not shoot the gift horse in the mouth. :D

And congratulations, iBooks are awesome - If you want to upgrade, just sell your iBook on eBay or PowerBookCentral (or here) through in a couple hundred extra bucks, and get the 900MHz, ComboDrive, 60GB, 12" model. It rules.